Forum upgrade and stuff

Vaximillian

So you can't go back to the main site from the forum anymore or is it me?

Also user interests are now displayed next to the posts, which doesn't really work very well.

No way to go directly to the last/first unread post in the thread from the thread listing?

Member badges don't display but that's a very minor annoyance.

Edited by Vaximillian

18 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

So you can't go back to the main site from the forum anymore or is it me?

Oversight. I'll fix it.

Also user interests are now displayed next to the posts, which doesn't really work very well.

It works great! ^____^

No way to go directly to the last/first unread post in the thread from the thread listing?

Not sure. I usually just use go to first or go to last.

Member badges don't display but that's a very minor annoyance.

Broken until further notice.

6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

In case you haven't figured it out already, you can go to the last post by clicking at the time stamp:

vq9D6gu.jpg 

I know there are going to be some hiccups for a while as we get used to the newly upgraded software, but there are a few things that I would like to bring up now that can hopefully be addressed soon:

1) The ability to view bbcode on posts. Ideally we'd just have a toggle switch like we did before. I'm going through and trying to update some of my threads to fix spoiler tag issues, but without being able to toggle code view, it's incredibly difficult, especially where images are concerned. It's almost impossible for me to update some of my Cipher threads because of this (at least without digging through my imgur account to remake the entire OPs from scratch), so I'm just kind of ignoring them for now. I know that rich text mode is fine for 99% of cases, but for that 1% of the time it would be really, really useful.

2) Unlocked notification settings. Currently the Notification Settings have options for you to receive either E-mail or Notification pop-ups for a bunch of different things, such as posts you follow. However, some of these options have hard set values that cannot be changed. For example, "Someone comments on something I follow" is now hard-set to send e-mails and not have browser notifications. If I try to change this, I get the message "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled." Here's a screenshot. I'm guessing this was just a default setting, but I would really like these options to be unlocked. I certainly do not want to be e-mail spammed whenever a topic I'm following has a post, but I rather liked the browser notifications. It would be nice if we had the option to switch again, otherwise I'm just going to have to unsubscribe from everything.

3 hours ago, Radiant head said:

wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but wow the desktop notifications were a little surprising. 

Are you referring to the "bloop" noise?

Is there a way to disable that, or maybe make it the "level up" sound from FE?

2 minutes ago, Balcerzak said:
  Hide contents

RwsFiNj.png

Thanks, I'm torn as I like getting a noise, maybe just not that noise.  For some reason, Est gets startled by it.

I'm glad that I can finally copy/paste directly on the forum reply interface. For some reason this wasn't possible without toggling to BB Code mode in the old interface.

On the other hand, is there any way to make the writing space scrollable like before, and not make it full-size. Either that, or make spoilers collapsible? I'm currently re-editing my past LP/artwork entries as the spoiler tags have become disabled, but every time I need to format the font for headings, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the writing space.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:02 AM, Kirie said:

I know there are going to be some hiccups for a while as we get used to the newly upgraded software, but there are a few things that I would like to bring up now that can hopefully be addressed soon:

1) The ability to view bbcode on posts. Ideally we'd just have a toggle switch like we did before. I'm going through and trying to update some of my threads to fix spoiler tag issues, but without being able to toggle code view, it's incredibly difficult, especially where images are concerned. It's almost impossible for me to update some of my Cipher threads because of this (at least without digging through my imgur account to remake the entire OPs from scratch), so I'm just kind of ignoring them for now. I know that rich text mode is fine for 99% of cases, but for that 1% of the time it would be really, really useful.

2) Unlocked notification settings. Currently the Notification Settings have options for you to receive either E-mail or Notification pop-ups for a bunch of different things, such as posts you follow. However, some of these options have hard set values that cannot be changed. For example, "Someone comments on something I follow" is now hard-set to send e-mails and not have browser notifications. If I try to change this, I get the message "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled." Here's a screenshot. I'm guessing this was just a default setting, but I would really like these options to be unlocked. I certainly do not want to be e-mail spammed whenever a topic I'm following has a post, but I rather liked the browser notifications. It would be nice if we had the option to switch again, otherwise I'm just going to have to unsubscribe from everything.

How are you getting email spammed? I want to get email spammed but the only settings I can see is for once a day or once a week.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

How are you getting email spammed? I want to get email spammed but the only settings I can see is for once a day or once a week.

I was getting e-mail spammed back when the default notifications were set. I think Jyosua purposefully disabled that option entirely because it maxed out the e-mail servers, but only he could say for sure.

8 minutes ago, Kirie said:

I was getting e-mail spammed back when the default notifications were set. I think Jyosua purposefully disabled that option entirely because it maxed out the e-mail servers, but only he could say for sure.

Well it was possible in the old system. It's how I've been keeping up to date with Serenes (and virtually every other forum I frequent) for years.

I purposefully disabled a few of the e-mail notification options when I went through and fixed them. Which ones were you looking to enabled?

3 hours ago, Jyosua said:

I purposefully disabled a few of the e-mail notification options when I went through and fixed them. Which ones were you looking to enabled?

Constant notifications.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Constant notifications.

Uh, I don't know what you're referring to. Which options on the notifications page? You need to be specific.

8 minutes ago, Makaze said:

I think he means he wants notified in real time when someone replies to a thread he is following.

... But by e-mail?

8 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

... But by e-mail?

I enjoy having all my notifications from all the sites I'm associated funneled to one convenient place. Some of us be crazy like that.

Edited by Jotari

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I enjoy having all my notifications from all the sites I'm associated funneled to one convenient place. Some of us be crazy like that.

That's what desktop notifications are precisely for. You could potentially have dozens of topics you're following and hundreds of replies to them, which means hundreds of individual e-mails per day.

Just now, Jyosua said:

That's what desktop notifications are precisely for. You could potentially have dozens of topics you're following and hundreds of replies to them, which means hundreds of individual e-mails per day.

Gmail stacks individual emails that are from the same address on the same topic so I essentially only get one notification for each topic I follow until I read the email (and then inevitably check the topic).

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Gmail stacks individual emails that are from the same address on the same topic so I essentially only get one notification for each topic I follow until I read the email (and then inevitably check the topic).

I know that, but we are still sending you hundreds of e-mails. That costs money. E-mails for stuff where people quoted you? Sure, I can understand that. E-mails for every reply that might not even concern you? No. We are not enabling that.

13 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

I know that, but we are still sending you hundreds of e-mails. That costs money. E-mails for stuff where people quoted you? Sure, I can understand that. E-mails for every reply that might not even concern you? No. We are not enabling that.

Well it was viable before, I don't see what the difference is now. Not up to me to question it though. If it's not viable then it's not viable.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well it was viable before, I don't see what the difference is now. Not up to me to question it though. If it's not viable then it's not viable.

Numbers. Especially with three or four new games coming down the pipe, that's a lot of members, with a lot of posts, a lot of quotes, a lot of information in those emails... that's a whole hell of a lot of strain on the web server, SMTP server, etc. You literally don't understand what you're asking for. And that's before you even get into what happens if you post in... uh, whatever the "crazy" board is here.