View desktop version on mobile?

yokokazuo

I've never really been a fan of mobile sites when on my phone so I've always used desktop versions when possible. Is there a way to go to the desktop version here? I've looked around a bit, but haven't seen anything about it. 

If there isn't one, could the option be added in the future perhaps?

Here's a little tip... (in case you didn't know already)
If you don't mind using the Google Chrome browser (default browser for android devices, downloadable app for iOS), you can request the desktop version of any site by tapping on the three vertical square dots in the upper-right corner and checking the checkbox that says "Request desktop site".

3.png

Request Desktop Site does not work on the mobile firefox browser for this site. Some sites ignore the request altogether. This site seems to be being one of them.

EDIT: Word on the street is that this stuff is still in the works though

Edited by Darros of Christmas Past

From what I can see, the mobile theme no longer exists. What you are experiencing is the responsive design of the new theme, which dynamically changes into a condensed view based on your resolution so that it can be better suited for mobile devices and tablets. For example: while on a desktop computer, resize your current window to be much smaller and watch how the site changes and becomes more condensed dynamically and without the need to refresh or change the theme.

The staff could modify the theme and remove the responsive aspects, then add a specific mobile theme, but I don't think the staff would want to go to those lengths though just to separate mobile and desktop view. I personally like responsive designs because that's the modern direction the internet is heading.

Anyway, this is why your desktop view isn't working.

2 hours ago, Booton said:

From what I can see, the mobile theme no longer exists. What you are experiencing is the responsive design of the new theme, which dynamically changes into a condensed view based on your resolution so that it can be better suited for mobile devices and tablets. For example: while on a desktop computer, resize your current window to be much smaller and watch how the site changes and becomes more condensed dynamically and without the need to refresh or change the theme.

The staff could modify the theme and remove the responsive aspects, then add a specific mobile theme, but I don't think the staff would want to go to those lengths though just to separate mobile and desktop view. I personally like responsive designs because that's the modern direction the internet is heading.

This is 100% accurate.

2 hours ago, Booton said:

Oh, I haven't gone on here with my computer yet, but I think I see what you mean. I do think that part of the reason I don't really like it is just because it's new and I have to get used to everything. 

2 hours ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

If you're actually on the mobile site (see post above), if you have an iPhone with a recent version of iOS, you can long press the "actualize" button and a "see desktop version" will appear. Or tap the "share" button, and go right and there will be "see desktop site for this site".

That is what I had done, but nothing happened. However it seems like it isn't necessarily a separate version of the site with mobile and desktop.

Responsive design is how proper UX works on the internet now. This is a modern web development paradigm. Our main site will, at some point, also be switched to a responsive design. It is not a different skin; it is the same skin with CSS and styling that adapts to the screen size.

31 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

Responsive design is how proper UX works on the internet now. This is a modern web development paradigm. Our main site will, at some point, also be switched to a responsive design. It is not a different skin; it is the same skin with CSS and styling that adapts to the screen size.

While I see how helpful responsive design is, I'm also a person who browses most sites as zoomed out as I find comfortable. The problem I've always had was the mobile site was how zoomed it was, so that's still sort of the problem I have now. I'm sure I'll adjust to it, but it's definitely hard to read right now.

5 hours ago, Freyjadour said:

While I see how helpful responsive design is, I'm also a person who browses most sites as zoomed out as I find comfortable. The problem I've always had was the mobile site was how zoomed it was, so that's still sort of the problem I have now. I'm sure I'll adjust to it, but it's definitely hard to read right now.

One solution the staff could implement would be introducing a toggle to set a cookie via JavaScript that would enable/disable the responsive parts of the CSS. This would work around having to add a second copy of the theme and satisfy the users that don't want the responsive design on mobile. I don't see this happening however, as it's more desirable overall to create responsive designs that look great on all resolutions.

• 1 year later...

I posted this ? in the introductory thread, so I’ll try here as well.

Im using the mobile version (an iPhone) and I can’t find a way to start a new topic. I can’t figure out a way to get to the desktop/laptop version either.

I sent a message to the site operators a few days ago, so I would think they’d have enough time to read my message and respond.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:22 PM, SMEDIA said:

I posted this ? in the introductory thread, so I’ll try here as well.

Im using the mobile version (an iPhone) and I can’t find a way to start a new topic. I can’t figure out a way to get to the desktop/laptop version either.

I sent a message to the site operators a few days ago, so I would think they’d have enough time to read my message and respond.

Go to the subforum you want and hit the big green "Start new topic" button.  Can you not see it?

19 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Go to the subforum you want and hit the big green "Start new topic" button.  Can you not see it?

It wasn’t there when I first joined. I had to post a little to get that button to appear.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, ksmith2282 said:

Ah, so I am not the only one then :P  The button isn't showing for me either.  Must be some kind of anti-spam-bot protection or something.

Yes it is. I believe it was implemented last month because we all got tired of the constant Korean spam and the mods did something about it.