Quick question about reclassing Male MU

Slaking

I'm quite new and it's my first time playing Fire Emblem Awakening and not familiar with how the reclassing or unit promotion works. I have a male MU tactician btw and is preferring physical type of MU. I'm planning to go with Tactician > Grandmaster > Myrmidon > Swordmaster > Assassin/DK/Hero but am not familiar with how it works though. :/ 

Can you recommend a path and skills for a physical type MU? 

Hey man, welcome to the forums!

It all depends on if you want to just play through the main campaign or if you're really aiming for the post game with all the juicy DLC. You can reclass as many times as you want, but you can only reclass to an unpromoted class if you're an unpromoted class already at level 10, or an unpromoted class if you're under level 10 of your promoted class. 

For skills, people tend to like Armsthrift (Mercenary level 1), which makes your weapon break less depending on your luck, Vantage (Myrmidon level 10, which lets you move first even if an enemy attacks you when your health is below 50% and Sol (Hero level 5), which gives you a chance to steal half the damage you deal every strike. 

If you want my advice, I'd recommend becoming a Mercenary quickly for Armsthrift and then promote into Hero for Sol and get that out of the way; those classes are rather well balanced and don't suffer from any glaring weakness unlike many others.

18 minutes ago, Thane said:

Hey man, welcome to the forums!

It all depends on if you want to just play through the main campaign or if you're really aiming for the post game with all the juicy DLC. You can reclass as many times as you want, but you can only reclass to an unpromoted class if you're an unpromoted class already at level 10, or an unpromoted class if you're under level 10 of your promoted class. 

For skills, people tend to like Armsthrift (Mercenary level 1), which makes your weapon break less depending on your luck, Vantage (Myrmidon level 10, which lets you move first even if an enemy attacks you when your health is below 50% and Sol (Hero level 5), which gives you a chance to steal half the damage you deal every strike. 

If you want my advice, I'd recommend becoming a Mercenary quickly for Armsthrift and then promote into Hero for Sol and get that out of the way; those classes are rather well balanced and don't suffer from any glaring weakness unlike many others.

Swordlock isn't a glaring weakness? Also, Sol isn't very good IMHO.

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Swordlock isn't a glaring weakness? Also, Sol isn't very good IMHO.

He won't remain a Mercenary for long, and I mostly meant defensively, like no flying or beast weaknesses, or Generals' poor movement and resistance.

Sol is a potential lifesaver if you ask me. It works during the enemy phase too, unlike Lifestealer.

34 minutes ago, Thane said:

He won't remain a Mercenary for long, and I mostly meant defensively, like no flying or beast weaknesses, or Generals' poor movement and resistance.

Sol is a potential lifesaver if you ask me. It works during the enemy phase too, unlike Lifestealer.

The only one of those I'd consider more relevant than the disadvantages of being locked to swords is the flying weakness, and MAYBE generals' low resistance.

I don't know - I feel Sol is one of those things that looks amazing at first glance, but turns out to be lackluster once you take a closer look. First off, it's only useful if the enemy is healthy. Second, it's dependent on dealing a lot of damage to have any real use (you'd need to deal 20 damage just for Sol to heal as much as a vulnerary, which would be obsolete by that point). Third, overkill damage doesn't count for how much Sol heals. And finally, your attack can still miss.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The only one of those I'd consider more relevant than the disadvantages of being locked to swords is  the flying weakness, and MAYBE generals' low resistance.

Okay.

I don't know - I feel Sol is one of those things that looks amazing at first glance, but turns out to be lackluster once you take a closer look. First off, it's only useful if the enemy is healthy. Second, it's dependent on dealing a lot of damage to have any real use (you'd need to deal 20 damage just for Sol to heal as much as a vulnerary, which would be obsolete by that point). Third, overkill damage doesn't count for how much Sol heals. And finally, your attack can still miss.

All fair points, but this is the main character we're talking about, which almost inevitably becomes a powerhouse and deals a lot of damage. The fact that Sol can trigger during enemy phases gives it a distinct advantage over something like Lifesteal. 

Naturally, towards the end game, I'd say a skill like Luna is more important, but I was trying to keep things simple for a rookie and tell him of a skill that's very reliable and helps him survive. 

On January 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Thane said:

All fair points, but this is the main character we're talking about, which almost inevitably becomes a powerhouse and deals a lot of damage. The fact that Sol can trigger during enemy phases gives it a distinct advantage over something like Lifesteal. 

Naturally, towards the end game, I'd say a skill like Luna is more important, but I was trying to keep things simple for a rookie and tell him of a skill that's very reliable and helps him survive. 

Fair enough, but in general, I think Sol isn't very reliable in actual practice because it's generally only going to do much good if you luck out and have it kick in on the first attack.

Also, OP, I think your class tree is too long - you likely won't get to the end of it.

Personally I promote to Fighter/Barbarian then to Warrior for Rally Strength on F!Morgan and Counter on Noire

But if don't care about that kind of stuff:

Armsthrift from Mercenary then promote to Bow Knight honestly for Bow Breaker (might be handy on those phase where you can't counter attack Archers)

or

I really like going Cavalier for Discipline (handy in classes with multiple weapon types and you're at E rank with some of those weapons). Paladin gives you Aegis and Great Knight gets you Luna.

10 hours ago, I'm a Spheal said:

Personally I promote to Fighter/Barbarian then to Warrior for Rally Strength on F!Morgan and Counter on Noire

But if don't care about that kind of stuff:

Armsthrift from Mercenary then promote to Bow Knight honestly for Bow Breaker (might be handy on those phase where you can't counter attack Archers)

or

I really like going Cavalier for Discipline (handy in classes with multiple weapon types and you're at E rank with some of those weapons). Paladin gives you Aegis and Great Knight gets you Luna.

Morgan can be a huge powerhouse and deserves better than being a Rallybot since DLC Katarina and Palla can do that same job since they both start out with Rally Strength, or you can use a male and a female avatar who know their Rallies hired from the Logbook. Out of all the male-only skills Morgan could get, Counter usually does too little to matter if you grind a lot but can be used if you want to troll on Streetpass, Gamble lowers the user's hit rate a bit, and Axefaire is class-dependent but is arguably the most useful.

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Morgan can be a huge powerhouse and deserves better than being a Rallybot since DLC Katarina and Palla can do that same job since they both start out with Rally Strength, or you can use a male and a female avatar who know their Rallies hired from the Logbook. Out of all the male-only skills Morgan could get, Counter usually does too little to matter if you grind a lot but can be used if you want to troll on Streetpass, Gamble lowers the user's hit rate a bit, and Axefaire is class-dependent but is arguably the most useful.

I did not know about DLC Katarina and Palla. But even then, out of all male exclusive Rally Strength is still probably more useful than Axefaire because of class-dependency (Very few classes females have access to have Axes as a weapon type). The male exclusive skills really suck when compared to the female ones. Noire is only child I feel should get Counter because she starts as an Archer and I've been replaying Conquest lately.

3 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I did not know about DLC Katarina and Palla. But even then, out of all male exclusive Rally Strength is still probably more useful than Axefaire because of class-dependency (Very few classes females have access to have Axes as a weapon type). The male exclusive skills really suck when compared to the female ones. Noire is only child I feel should get Counter because she starts as an Archer and I've been replaying Conquest lately.

The thing is that Morgan has potential to be a major powerhouse (given that she can access every female regular class) that she may suffer from 5-skillslot syndrome; a Morgan focused on being on the frontlines simply has no room to carry a support skill. Counter Archers are hilarious on paper but they're not that useful in game unless you haven't fully grinded to your max stat caps and are only really useful for Streetpass AI teams (namely to punish careless players who receive the AI team). Counter is also completely useless for the player to use in Apotheosis since every enemy on the map has Dragonskin.

22 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

Well, I have to say that Counter is one of those skills that sounds useful on paper, but isn't so good in actual practice... Except when it's used AGAINST you, that is.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, I have to say that Counter is one of those skills that sounds useful on paper, but isn't so good in actual practice... Except when it's used AGAINST you, that is.

Agreed. Getting hit is bad, but getting hot and having damage spikes that can put you in danger is even worse.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, Slaking said:

I'm quite new and it's my first time playing Fire Emblem Awakening and not familiar with how the reclassing or unit promotion works. I have a male MU tactician btw and is preferring physical type of MU. I'm planning to go with Tactician > Grandmaster > Myrmidon > Swordmaster > Assassin/DK/Hero but am not familiar with how it works though. :/ 

Can you recommend a path and skills for a physical type MU? 

Why would you promote to a second tier class, only to go to a first tier class immediately afterwards? Surely, Tactician > Myrmidon > Swordsmaster > Grandmaster > Assassin/DK/Hero would be a better route to take? Unless you really want Ignis that badly early on.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

29 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Why would you promote to a second tier class, only to go to a first tier class immediately afterwards? Surely, Tactician > Myrmidon > Swordsmaster > Grandmaster > Assassin/DK/Hero would be a better route to take? Unless you really want Ignis that badly early on.

That's not nearly as worrisome as how long his planned class route is - to put it in perspective, you can't buy Second Seals until after chapter 16, and thus I'd imagine he'd wind up not being able to get to the final leg in his planned class route by the time the game's over.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Tactician > myrmidon > Swordmaster plan is the best way to go. Realistically you will use one second seal, then one master seal to promote, and by the time you need your next second seal you'll have access to buying them.

My opinion;

Vantage is nice to have. But I think it's better to promote to Assassin first instead of Swordmaster. You won't get any noteworthy skills (Pass can be nice I guess) but you get access to bows. You can always go Swordmaster later.