This Game's publisher is listed as Koei Tecmo-- and what that may mean

The DanMan

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fire-emblem-warriors-switch

On the official site, Koei Tecmo is listed as the publisher; Nintendo was listed as the publisher for Hyrule Warriors. If Nintendo really doesn't have as much involvement in the game's development, then expect a lot less than what was in Hyrule Warriors. The most recent Warriors spinoff prior to this, Berserk Musou, had all of 8 characters playable. Koei Tecmo also doesn't really do dubs or character DLC at all.

I'm hoping that either it's a mistake on the website or that Nintendo will have as much involvement as they did with Hyrule Warriors. If they don't, then, well... the game will be very disappointing.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that would be very disappointing. :(

Only 8 characters out of a series that literally has hundreds? How seriously lame that would be. I'd probably not even bother with the game.

It would feel frustrating, off the heel of Hyrule Warrior's success and Kimishima himself saying that "Fire Emblem is a major IP", to have this be the absolute bare minimum. Until we can get an accurate assessment of the game's quality, my hype is pretty much sunk.

13 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fire-emblem-warriors-switch

The most recent Warriors spinoff prior to this, Berserk Musou, had all of 8 characters playable. Koei Tecmo also doesn't really do dubs or character DLC at all.

8 PC's out of how many characters?

I'm also curious about the dub part - Dynasty Warriors: Gundam had a dub, even for characters who didn't have a dub VA out west. They also had a bunch of characters out of the potential tons and tons of characters across all of Gundam. Are you sure they don't do dubs?

Edited by Lord Raven

6 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

8 PC's out of how many characters?

I'm also curious about the dub part - Dynasty Warriors: Gundam had a dub, even for characters who didn't have a dub VA out west. They also had a bunch of characters out of the potential tons and tons of characters across all of Gundam. Are you sure they don't do dubs?

The last Warriors game to get a dub was 8 Extreme Legends in early 2014.

Warriors Orochi 3 didn't get a dub before that, and its expansion 3 Ultimate didn't get a dub. Samurai Warriors 4 and 4-II did not get dubbed. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 didn't have a dub (despite the previous two having one). One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 did not get a dub. Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires did not get a dub.

And it seems like Berserk has a fair amount of characters. Definitely not as much as FE, but way more than enough that limiting things to 8 wouldn't make sense if they could do more.

Edited by The DanMan

I'm just saying, I wouldn't count it out or cast doom on it, especially since there's not enough info released on the game. We know literally nothing about it. As it stands, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam is a counterpoint, it has way more characters than the things you listed (spanning multiple universes too), way more Mobile Suits to pilot, etc. 

1 minute ago, Lord Raven said:

I'm just saying, I wouldn't count it out or cast doom on it, especially since there's not enough info released on the game. We know literally nothing about it. As it stands, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam is a counterpoint, it has way more characters than the things you listed (spanning multiple universes too), way more Mobile Suits to pilot, etc. 

Gundam is a massive phenomenon, and had Bandai publishing the game and hoofing the bill.

I'm really hoping that Nintendo's site made a mistake.

Just now, The DanMan said:

Gundam is a massive phenomenon, and had Bandai publishing the game and hoofing the bill.

Not in the west, especially not when those Dynasty games were released.

Just now, Lord Raven said:

Not in the west, especially not when those Dynasty games were released.

SCEA didn't let games that didn't have English dubs get released physically, and considering PSN was in a very early state making the game digital wouldn't have been feasible.

It was probable that the sales were guaranteed enough in Japan that Namco wanted to take a bit of a risk and localize the game.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um, didn't Hyrule Warriors sell well, even for a Wii U game?

Yeah, but that had Nintendo behind the project, and its Zelda. Zelda is one of the original video game series that really kicked off, so of course that is going to sell well. Its like releasing a Marvel Warriors game and not expecting it to at least make its money back.

Fire emblem is just becoming popular and hitting mainstream. This could flop horribly. It will probably make its money in Japan, but the west is another story. Warriors type games arent exactly popular over here.

Edited by Tolvir

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

SCEA didn't let games that didn't have English dubs get released physically, and considering PSN was in a very early state making the game digital wouldn't have been feasible.

It was probable that the sales were guaranteed enough in Japan that Namco wanted to take a bit of a risk and localize the game.

Fire Emblem has dub voice actors and it's bigger out west than Gundam ever was. The most recent release did not have a dub track, but it had DLC; releases before that did have a dub track, even for characters that didn't have a VA out west (like for instance Usso Ewin). It's not really worth speculating on what they may or may not do, especially since Fire Emblem sells quite well out west now.

7 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Yeah, but that had Nintendo behind the project, and its Zelda. Zelda is one of the original video game series that really kicked off, so of course that is going to sell well. Its like releasing a Marvel Warriors game and not expecting it to at least make its money back.

Fire emblem is just becoming popular and hitting mainstream. This could flop horribly. It will probably make its money in Japan, but the west is another story. Warriors type games arent exactly popular over here.

True, but really? I'm surprised. Hyrule Warriors is REALLY fun and I'd love more games with that kind of gameplay. I would try some older Warriors games, but I haven't seen any for Nintendo consoles and I don't use Playstations or Xboxes. I actually hadn't even heard of the Warriors series until Hyrule Warriors was announced, though. So maybe it has a marketing problem?

I would also assume that this game will be dubbed because we're used to Awakening and Fates characters as well as Ike speaking English (and any other non-Japanese languages they've been given VAs in). It'd be weird to all of a sudden have them speak Japanese only. Marth also now has an English voice actor thanks to Codename Steam and Fates.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

True, but really? I'm surprised. Hyrule Warriors is REALLY fun and I'd love more games with that kind of gameplay. I would try some older Warriors games, but I haven't seen any for Nintendo consoles and I don't use Playstations or Xboxes. I actually hadn't even heard of the Warriors series until Hyrule Warriors was announced, though. So maybe it has a marketing problem?

Marketing and Competition. They have a hell of a lot more to go against in the West than in Japan. Hack and Slash games are a big market in the US, and Warriors tends to be thrown in there, so it has a lot of competition. That and most of the time the Warriors games are based on either original characters (which are almost always japanese), or based on jrpg type characters. Those types dont hit as big in the West.

Its like if they made a Warriors game based on the Warcraft series. Might hit really big in the West due to it being characters people recognize, but in Japan not so much.

Edited by Tolvir

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Marketing and Competition. They have a hell of a lot more to go against in the West than in Japan. Hack and Slash games are a big market in the US, and Warriors tends to be thrown in there, so it has a lot of competition. That and most of the time the Warriors games are based on either original characters (which are almost always japanese), or based on jrpg type characters. Those types dont hit as big in the West.

Its like if they made a Warriors game based on the Warcraft series. Might hit really big in the West due to it being characters people recognize, but in Japan not so much.

I see. Yeah, that's a tough position right there then. >_<

13 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Fire Emblem has dub voice actors and it's bigger out west than Gundam ever was. The most recent release did not have a dub track, but it had DLC; releases before that did have a dub track, even for characters that didn't have a VA out west (like for instance Usso Ewin). It's not really worth speculating on what they may or may not do, especially since Fire Emblem sells quite well out west now.

But definitely nowhere as big as Gundam in Japan.

Namco themselves had an odd way of treating Gundam in the West; they really just released merchandise and hoped that it sold. Several years ago they realized that didn't work, and went the opposite direction; Gundam Reborn (mistakingly thought it was 3) was a full PS3 release in Japan with Namco's backing, but was digital only when it came out elsewhere. And I did not know about character DLC; none of the mainline Warriors games have done that.

Hyrule Warriors and DW Gundam are best-case scenarios; ones where they were published by the company that owned the IP and had resources allotted for them, resulting in bigger, more polished releases that did their franchises justice. How much involvement Nintendo has with FE Warriors is the biggest determining factor in its quality-- and the fact that they don't seem to be even publishing the game is not a good sign.

Edited by The DanMan

Well if it gives any help, there is no way Nintendo just passed this off on Koei fully and let them handle it. Intelligent Systems is all but Guaranteed to be working on the project with them. That and I highly doubt it will go undubbed. If Koei isnt willing to do it, Nintendo themselves will do it, It is still their product after all.

7 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

The Dynasty Warriors games are based on Ancient Chinese historical figures, tyvm, Samurai Warriors is the only one that's based on the Japanese, and Bladestorm is the French and English, not to mention Troy not being Japanese. 

Do your research before you make inane comments please.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. We know next to nothing about this game and we'll get a better look at it in tomorrow's Direct, so I don't think we should be worrying about (or overhyping) the game too much.

For what it's worth, I trust Koei Tecmo to not let Nintendo down. Plus I have a good feeling they're passionate about this project.

I agree with Vincent here, why should we be trying to drag everything down already when we know next to nothing? Plus Karnage already stated that Koei Tecmo was in charge for the Japanese release of HW.