This Game's publisher is listed as Koei Tecmo-- and what that may mean

The DanMan

We know a few things about Tecmo Koei, just off of experience, particularly recent experience:

1) Secondary IPs tend to not get a lot of TLC. Zelda is not a secondary IP. Neither is Three Kingdoms, or Gundam, or Dragon Quest. Some of the others mentioned, including Berserk, are. In the grand scheme of things, Fire Emblem is a secondary IP. Strike one.

2) TK loves to DLC the fuck out of their games, and that's BEST case. If you want a look at their more recent strategy, check out the latest Nobunaga's Ambition, where they released what is little more than a large patch - seriously, the latest FFXIV patch is more significant - and have the nerve to release it for $60. Strike two.

3) Speaking of that DLC, if you've ever wanted to see Fire Emblem characters in skimpy swimsuits but don't want to Google "Rule 34", this is your bag. They love that shit.

It's early, and I could be proven wrong, but I'm wary.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Superbus said:

We know a few things about Tecmo Koei, just off of experience, particularly recent experience:

1) Secondary IPs tend to not get a lot of TLC. Zelda is not a secondary IP. Neither is Three Kingdoms, or Gundam, or Dragon Quest. Some of the others mentioned, including Berserk, are. In the grand scheme of things, Fire Emblem is a secondary IP. Strike one.

2) TK loves to DLC the fuck out of their games, and that's BEST case. If you want a look at their more recent strategy, check out the latest Nobunaga's Ambition, where they released what is little more than a large patch - seriously, the latest FFXIV patch is more significant - and have the nerve to release it for $60. Strike two.

3) Speaking of that DLC, if you've ever wanted to see Fire Emblem characters in skimpy swimsuits but don't want to Google "Rule 34", this is your bag. They love that shit.

It's early, and I could be proven wrong, but I'm wary.

Im not going to disagree with a majority of what you say, but i think they are on very good terms with Nintendo. Im mostly basing this on Hyrule warriors, but i think they will take very good care of fire emblem warriors, least they make bad decisions with the game like overpriced DLC.

tho im curious if nintendo would even allow the swimsuits considering what happened with fates.

Well, just to put things in perspective with Berserk Warriors:

The game included 8 characters from over 30 years of manga with many many characters. Now Berserk is devided into several arcs (Black Swordsman, Golden Age, Conviction, Millenium Falcon and Fantasia). The popularity and representation varies... you could compare the popularity of the Golden Age arc to Awakening/Fates and it shows heavily in the game considering the content.

Golden Age arc is like... roughly one third to half of Berserk Warriors and it has by far the most characters included.

Black Swordsman - 1 (and that's Guts the main character)

Golden Age - 5 (Griffith, Casca, Judeau, Wyald, Zodd)

Conviction - 1 (Serpico)

Millenium Falcon - 1 (Schierke)

Now that are 3 (technically 4) characters from Gut's main party at the moment... that is really not much. They didn't even include characters that are present since the beginning of Black Swordsman or other important characters like Farnese. Also the fighting style of the characters doesn't always match up with their depictions in the source material (but that's something I don't worry about in FE Warriors because here you already have the specific stats a character had etc.)

So yeah let's hope IS/Nintendo has a hand in the game because Hyrule Warriors is imo a definite high point of the Tecmo Koei crossovers... FE Warriors will definitely be good I just hope they include a wide variety of characters unlike Berserk.

On 1/19/2017 at 0:34 PM, Thany said:

Im not going to disagree with a majority of what you say, but i think they are on very good terms with Nintendo. Im mostly basing this on Hyrule warriors, but i think they will take very good care of fire emblem warriors, least they make bad decisions with the game like overpriced DLC.

tho im curious if nintendo would even allow the swimsuits considering what happened with fates.

Two words: Region Free especially the definitive Switch HD.

Edited by OpheliaNohrPrincess

I've been a fan of several Warriors series for a long time, so I think I know Koei Tecmo pretty well.

First off, about the dub... it's been a little confusing lately with Dead or Alive suddenly being dubbed after years of not, Dragon Quest Heroes getting dubbed, Attack on Titan not being dubbed (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like Berserk will be, either), etc... but yeah, in general, KT hasn't really been dubbing their games much as of late. This is partially because the rosters in some of their games are gigantic (Samurai Warriors 4 had over 50 playable characters, Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires had over 80, Warriors Orochi 3 had over 130). They've also said before that recording even the Japanese voices is becoming a real project for the DW series.
However, the main reason is that they don't really expect to make the money they spend back. Warriors games aren't terribly popular overseas. This puts Fire Emblem Warriors in a weird position because it's possible that there are going to be a lot of characters in it (which seems to be what everyone wants), but it's probably going to be expected to sell well in the west as Hyrule Warriors did. Even if you hate dubs, having one is far better for sales than not. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people completely abandon a game they were interested in after learning that there won't be a dub. The gameplay footage shown during the direct on Wednesday not being dubbed is a bit concerning, but it's possible that they just haven't gotten to it yet since it's still being developed.

KT's DLC practices leave a lot to be desired, I hope to god Nintendo has a hand in this one. KT very rarely does DLC characters, but given Hyrule Warriors, I have some hope. Their other DLC practices are rather atrocious, however. They primarily do cosmetic DLC, like costumes and the like, but charge outrageous prices for them. SW4: Empires for instance has yukata DLC where each character gets a yukata costume. Nothing special, really, but it costs over $40.

I'd also like to mention that with Omega Force developing the game, the roster will very likely go in one of two directions. Either we're going to have only a handful of playable characters, all with distinct movesets, or a lot of characters total with a huge chunk of them having cloned movesets. Dynasty Warriors 7 had only 36 unique movesets for over 60 characters, something the fanbase was extremely irate over, and even with two expansions (DW7:XL and Empires), it took them until DW8 to get it sorted out.

Here's hoping Nintendo has as much say in it as Hyrule Warriors.

its nice to get alot of detail from someone who knows the company well.

i still have hopes for english thanks to that mobile trailer. which if they do decide for english voice acting, then getting the voice actors will be easy.

I think I found evidence that there might not a english dub in this game, but it is mostly conjecture and I could be completely wrong.

The evidence is this tweet from Kaiji Tang: https://mobile.twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/819953220785086466

He's the VA for Owain/Odin, and if considering the fact that voice acting for games is usually done a year in advance, if Owain/Odin appears in Warriors, this might confirm that there will be no dub.

Of course this can also mean that Owain/Odin won't appear in Warriors at all, but considering how popular he is, he has a good chance of appearing.

Edited by Water Mage

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I think I found evidence that there might not a english dub in this game, but it is mostly conjecture and I could be completely wrong.

The evidence is this tweet from Kaiji Tang: https://mobile.twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/819953220785086466

He's the VA for Owain/Odin, and if considering the fact that voice acting for games is usually done a year in advance, if Owain/Odin appears in Warriors, this might confirm that there will be no dub.

Of course this can also mean that Owain/Odin won't appear in Warriors at all, but considering how popular he is, he has a good chance of appearing.

I'd say that Tang's tweet doesn't mean anything since he obviously isn't allowed to confirm if Owain is in the game before Nintendo does. Or maybe he's technically telling the truth because Odin is in the game but Owain isn't?

22 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'd say that Tang's tweet doesn't mean anything since he obviously isn't allowed to confirm if Owain is in the game before Nintendo does. Or maybe he's technically telling the truth because Odin is in the game but Owain isn't?

I did thought about, but when that's usually the case, they usually say things liken "I can't say anything now." instead of flat put saying that they don't know anything. 

And I don't think Kaiji would lie about something like this.

10 hours ago, Delfino said:

I've been a fan of several Warriors series for a long time, so I think I know Koei Tecmo pretty well.

First off, about the dub... it's been a little confusing lately with Dead or Alive suddenly being dubbed after years of not, Dragon Quest Heroes getting dubbed, Attack on Titan not being dubbed (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like Berserk will be, either), etc... but yeah, in general, KT hasn't really been dubbing their games much as of late. This is partially because the rosters in some of their games are gigantic (Samurai Warriors 4 had over 50 playable characters, Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires had over 80, Warriors Orochi 3 had over 130). They've also said before that recording even the Japanese voices is becoming a real project for the DW series.
However, the main reason is that they don't really expect to make the money they spend back. Warriors games aren't terribly popular overseas. This puts Fire Emblem Warriors in a weird position because it's possible that there are going to be a lot of characters in it (which seems to be what everyone wants), but it's probably going to be expected to sell well in the west as Hyrule Warriors did. Even if you hate dubs, having one is far better for sales than not. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people completely abandon a game they were interested in after learning that there won't be a dub. The gameplay footage shown during the direct on Wednesday not being dubbed is a bit concerning, but it's possible that they just haven't gotten to it yet since it's still being developed.

KT's DLC practices leave a lot to be desired, I hope to god Nintendo has a hand in this one. KT very rarely does DLC characters, but given Hyrule Warriors, I have some hope. Their other DLC practices are rather atrocious, however. They primarily do cosmetic DLC, like costumes and the like, but charge outrageous prices for them. SW4: Empires for instance has yukata DLC where each character gets a yukata costume. Nothing special, really, but it costs over $40.

I'd also like to mention that with Omega Force developing the game, the roster will very likely go in one of two directions. Either we're going to have only a handful of playable characters, all with distinct movesets, or a lot of characters total with a huge chunk of them having cloned movesets. Dynasty Warriors 7 had only 36 unique movesets for over 60 characters, something the fanbase was extremely irate over, and even with two expansions (DW7:XL and Empires), it took them until DW8 to get it sorted out.

Here's hoping Nintendo has as much say in it as Hyrule Warriors.

I'm hoping they'll do the former then (handful of playable characters/unique movesets) and that Nintendo is as hands-on as they were with Hyrule Warriors, even if that means we're not seeing a huge roster. If it's Koei doing the DLC, then I'd expect games taking place in the Elibe universe and the like as something that'll appear for expansions and sequels. If Nintendo (hopefully) publishes the game in the west, we can start hoping for characters from other games. Of course, Hyrule Warriors also had an advantage in that the only dubbing they had to do was the narrator because the Zelda series' characters mainly had grunts and yells and the like before Breath of the Wild.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Hm... so it could go either way then: we have no dub and/or perhaps they won't include any of the Awakening 2nd Gen trio after all. (So they could maybe appear through DLC if Nintendo has a hand in it, expansions, or sequels then.)

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I did thought about, but when that's usually the case, they usually say things liken "I can't say anything now." instead of flat put saying that they don't know anything. 

And I don't think Kaiji would lie about something like this.

It's possible that Kaiji just hasn't been contacted about it yet. The game is still over half a year away from release. Granted, I don't know when in the development process they tend to get the voice acting done, but it's still a possibility. 

39 minutes ago, Folt said:

Hm... so it could go either way then: we have no dub and/or perhaps they won't include any of the Awakening 2nd Gen trio after all. (So they could maybe appear through DLC if Nintendo has a hand in it, expansions, or sequels then.)

I mean, it's still possible that they'll have the game dubbed even with a large cast (they dubbed DW8 after learning the fans really wanted it (although the finished product was incredibly rushed), even though they didn't bother with DW8: Empires), but it's less likely. I really hope there is a dub, though... playing Warriors games without it is pretty chaotic. Trying to listen to the emotion in the voices and read what they're saying as you're in the middle of a giant group of enemies is... tricky, to say the least.

12 hours ago, Delfino said:

It's possible that Kaiji just hasn't been contacted about it yet. The game is still over half a year away from release. Granted, I don't know when in the development process they tend to get the voice acting done, but it's still a possibility.

It's possible, but I think it's rather unlikely given that there's about half a year until FE Warriors releases. Unless the localized version releases much latter.

12 hours ago, Delfino said:

I mean, it's still possible that they'll have the game dubbed even with a large cast (they dubbed DW8 after learning the fans really wanted it (although the finished product was incredibly rushed), even though they didn't bother with DW8: Empires), but it's less likely. I really hope there is a dub, though... playing Warriors games without it is pretty chaotic. Trying to listen to the emotion in the voices and read what they're saying as you're in the middle of a giant group of enemies is... tricky, to say the least.

I can't say I've had problems with that, actually. Then again, I'm used to going through text boxes in games, sometimes in the middle of battle (thank you for all your trash talk Gruntilda).

Still, like you, I hope there's a dub. Hearing Mercer or David Vincent voice Chrom and Robin again would be great!

Edited by Folt

4 hours ago, Delfino said:

Voice acting in games is usually done a year before the game releases. Doing the voice acting now, months before the game's release is considered pretty bad.

10 hours ago, Folt said:

I can't say I've had problems with that, actually. Then again, I'm used to going through text boxes in games, sometimes in the middle of battle (thank you for all your trash talk Gruntilda).

Still, like you, I hope there's a dub. Hearing Mercer or David Vincent voice Chrom and Roin again would be great!

Really? Ugh, I hate it... it's different for a game like Banjo Kazooie because it's easier to stop what you're doing and pay attention, but for the Warriors games, I often end up missing dialogue when I have to look at the bottom of the screen to read it. There's too much going on for me.

6 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Voice acting in games is usually done a year before the game releases. Doing the voice acting now, months before the game's release is considered pretty bad.

Okay, that makes sense then. I guess we'll just have to wait and see... I think it's a terrible idea for them not to have a dub, but it is Koei Tecmo...

I'm just hoping they're simply waiting to show off the English dubbing and more gameplay and characters in a later Direct or E3 or something... I don't want the game to be Japanese-only either, because I hate a lot of Japanese VAing. Female voices tend to make my ears bleed because they're super high pitched a lot, and male voices sound samey and less varied and just generally not as good to me as English ones. I also prefer hearing words I actually understand.

For all I know, I'll be literally unable to use any female characters, whether I like them or not, because their voices hurt my ears too much! My hearing is sensitive, and my ears ring a lot because of noise that isn't even really that loud sometimes.

Edited by Anacybele

44 minutes ago, Delfino said:

Really? Ugh, I hate it... it's different for a game like Banjo Kazooie because it's easier to stop what you're doing and pay attention, but for the Warriors games, I often end up missing dialogue when I have to look at the bottom of the screen to read it. There's too much going on for me.

Okay, that makes sense then. I guess we'll just have to wait and see... I think it's a terrible idea for them not to have a dub, but it is Koei Tecmo...

I was trained (self-induced) at an early age to read text and do stuff at the same time in gaming, so no, I don't really have that problem of getting distracted (much) by that kind of thing in a game.

A dub would be good to have regardless.

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm just hoping they're simply waiting to show off the English dubbing and more gameplay and characters in a later Direct or E3 or something... I don't want the game to be Japanese-only either, because I hate a lot of Japanese VAing. Female voices tend to make my ears bleed because they're super high pitched a lot, and male voices sound samey and less varied and just generally not as good to me as English ones. I also prefer hearing words I actually understand.

For all I know, I'll be literally unable to use any female characters, whether I like them or not, because their voices hurt my ears too much! My hearing is sensitive, and my ears ring a lot because of noise that isn't even really that loud sometimes.

That sounds bad. Good luck with that. And I can definitely see where you're coming from. (Olivia's JP voice aaagh!)

I doubt Nintendo is not checking the project. I expect this game to be in the same vein of HW in terms of content and characters (maybe a bit less characters).
I'm cautious with this game. I'm not really a fan of Warriors, and I expect only Ike, Roy and maybe Lyn to be the only characters from the older games that are not from Marth's games. Still count me in to be bummed with all of you if you guys receive lackluster content.

I think Masamune and Severa should meet.

8 minutes ago, Folt said:

That sounds bad. Good luck with that. And I can definitely see where you're coming from. (Olivia's JP voice aaagh!)

Yeah, and my right ear tends to ring more than my left as well, likely due to a nasty infection I had in it years ago. Almost lost my hearing in that ear completely because of it.

I'll be really disappointed if this game turns out to have no dub, annoying high pitched female voices, and not many characters and just not much in general when it's using a series that has a lot of content and a lot of potential for a great cast.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and my right ear tends to ring more than my left as well, likely due to a nasty infection I had in it years ago. Almost lost my hearing in that ear completely because of it.

I'll be really disappointed if this game turns out to have no dub, annoying high pitched female voices, and not many characters and just not much in general when it's using a series that has a lot of content and a lot of potential for a great cast.

I'm afraid there is no need for a large roster for the first iteration of a Musou game/crossover. But there could still be a lot of content in it anyways. Hyrule Warriors after all had the wonderful Adventure Mode that had hours of content to peruse and unlock + the Reward Map which had scenarios akin to Dream Battles (especially in regards to the ones that came from the DLC content).

9 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Chrom's lines and grunts were the exact same from Awakening's Japanese version. As-in, they just plucked the soundfiles from Awakening and used them.
So either the footage is really outdated or there won't be full voice acting at all and they'll just re-use voice grunts from Awakening and Fates.
It's a bit early to pass judgement, but things aren't looking good.

49 minutes ago, Folt said:

I'm afraid there is no need for a large roster for the first iteration of a Musou game/crossover. But there could still be a lot of content in it anyways. Hyrule Warriors after all had the wonderful Adventure Mode that had hours of content to peruse and unlock + the Reward Map which had scenarios akin to Dream Battles (especially in regards to the ones that came from the DLC content).

For a series like FE? Sure there is. I mean, I'm not expecting a really huge lineup in this game, but anything less than 25-30 characters total, including DLC, is too low for FE imo. 

IMO this is the right time to release a Fire Emblem Warriors. FE solidified its status in the West with Fates and the public is used to the Warriors gameplay because of Hyrule Warriors. Plus FE world lends itself well to Warriors treatment like Zelda world did. Honestly I think it's a better idea than SMTxFE.

Hate to be that guy, but Nintendo was the publisher of Tokyo Mirage Sessions as well. 

I don't have much of an idea how much a publisher contributes to a project other than funding and licensing, but I feel Nintendo being the publisher of Hyrule Warriors only had the direct effect of "Yeah, use whoever you want. Any clothes you want, sure" from one of the interviews I read. And provided enough funding for so much characters and free DLC features and expansions. I suspect Nintendo will publish the game internationally. Has IS ever published a game? I think they're strictly a development team for Nintendo platforms.

Edited by Gustavos