[15 Discussion] Classes

Tolvir

Since the topic of Fire Emblem 15 has come up, I want to start a new topic based on classes. What classes would you want to see return for 15, or new ones to be added for 15?

I personally would love to see the War Monk make a comeback. I love the idea of a nonmouted melee healer, so the return of that type would be great to me. 

Other than that that I expect Ninja will probably return for 15, alongside the new version of the thief. I also think the Spear Master is here to stay.

Not sure on new classes, but I can see some of Hoshido's classes be redesigned a bit to fit with Fire Emblem's more European theme it has had in the past.

Edited by Tolvir

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a return of Dark and Light magic, so Dark Mages aren't just Mages that can cast Nosferatu, as well as the likely return of Monks and Bishops.

I want most of the hybrid physical/magic classes gone, only special classes should get both.

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

I want them to keep the buffs to Archers, nerf Hidden Weapons and improve magic somehow - maybe implement a minor spell system like in Gaiden, though without any summons.

I agree, Magic needs some fixes. I think bringing back elemental magic would be a good step, I kind of missed arcfire, rexcalibur, and all of that. I think with a return of elemental magic, light and dark magic, and maybe create a new field of magic (pure arcane?) could help it out. 

I would like to see archers buffed as well, but don't know how they would do that. Archers seemed pretty strong in Fates, or at least stronger than they have in the past.

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I want a return of Dark and Light magic, so Dark Mages aren't just Mages that can cast Nosferatu, as well as the likely return of Monks and Bishops.

I want most of the hybrid physical/magic classes gone, only special classes should get both.

I kind of want dark magic and dark mages going back to being a rare thing. The forbidden dark magic stuff like that is typically a secretive thing that few characters use, like Pelleas in Radiant Dawn. Now it's just everywhere. That and I wouldn't mind seeing Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance specialized mages return, like thunder mages, wind mages, etc.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

I kind of want dark magic and dark mages going back to being a rare thing. The forbidden dark magic stuff like that is typically a secretive thing that few characters use, like Pelleas in Radiant Dawn. Now it's just everywhere. That and I wouldn't mind seeing Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance specialized mages return, like thunder mages, wind mages, etc.

Dark Magic can still be a rare type and still be a distinct school.  In FE7, all we got was Canas for the majority of the game, and FE8 just had Knoll and possibly Ewan.  I wouldn't mind seeing plenty of enemy Dark Mage units or Light Mages either, for that matter.  I think Magic is underused as a weapon type in general.

I don't think we'd see Dark Mages become as common as Cavaliers or anything.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Dark Magic can still be a rare type and still be a distinct school.  In FE7, all we got was Canas for the majority of the game, and FE8 just had Knoll and possibly Ewan.  I wouldn't mind seeing plenty of enemy Dark Mage units or Light Mages either, for that matter.  I think Magic is underused as a weapon type in general.

I don't think we'd see Dark Mages become as common as Cavaliers or anything.

Oh sure, it should be it's one distinct school with its own spells. (I would love to see the delve more into the shadow magic with different spells. Looked really cool in Radiant Dawn.) 

I just don't want every mage being a dark mage like we had in Fates with Conquest. One was fine, but all Nohr had were dark mages. That was what I meant by too many dark mages. 

3 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Oh sure, it should be it's one distinct school with its own spells. (I would love to see the delve more into the shadow magic with different spells. Looked really cool in Radiant Dawn.) 

I just don't want every mage being a dark mage like we had in Fates with Conquest. One was fine, but all Nohr had were dark mages. That was what I meant by too many dark mages. 

True, but I was mad at how Dark Mages were handled in Fates for different reasons.  I could sort of see Nohr having Dark Mages be their primary spell caster due to them being the evil empire and all, but Dark Mages were basically just Mages in skimpy clothes, since the literally the only Dark Tome Fates had was Nosferatu and 90% of the time, the Dark Mages are just casting Anima Spells.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

True, but I was mad at how Dark Mages were handled in Fates for different reasons.  I could sort of see Nohr having Dark Mages be their primary spell caster due to them being the evil empire and all, but Dark Mages were basically just Mages in skimpy clothes, since the literally the only Dark Tome Fates had was Nosferatu and 90% of the time, the Dark Mages are just casting Anima Spells.

I had a problem with that too. I really hope 15 returns to the more traditional look of mages, like Radiant Dawn's. And the actual dark magic itself was really lacking.

I want them to keep the flying bow-wielding class in some form (even though nobody uses Kinshi Knight in Fates). However, I really dislike the fact that you can have a different mount upon promoting in the 3DS games, it makes no sense. In other words, if Pegasus Knights still promote to a flying bow class, then I want its mount to still be a Pegasi.

Other than that, I want the return of Ninja in some form.

I'm also iffy about the magic/physical hybrid classes since most of the times they're more useful for the enemies than the player, because player units usually only excel at either strength or magic, not both at once. And those having "balanced" growths tend to suck or get RNG-screwed otherwise. I do have to admit I really like Malig Knight as a concept though. 

And I definitely agree with the sentiment that the magic system in Fates left a lot to be desired. 

10 minutes ago, Ryo said:

I want them to keep the flying bow-wielding class in some form (even though nobody uses Kinshi Knight in Fates). However, I really dislike the fact that you can have a different mount upon promoting in the 3DS games, it makes no sense. In other words, if Pegasus Knights still promote to a flying bow class, then I want its mount to still be a Pegasi.

Other than that, I want the return of Ninja in some form.

I'm also iffy about the magic/physical hybrid classes since most of the times they're more useful for the enemies than the player, because player units usually only excel at either strength or magic, not both at once. And those having "balanced" growths tend to suck or get RNG-screwed otherwise. I do have to admit I really like Malig Knight as a concept though. 

And I definitely agree with the sentiment that the magic system in Fates left a lot to be desired. 

I agree that hybrid classes should be limited.  I like the Malig Knight, but at the same time, wouldn't mind if it was just a flying magic unit, maybe Having Dark and Anima Magic and/or Staves, instead of Axes.  Very few units can pull off the hybrid classes well, and often they pull off other classes better, so it's more them being good in general, than specifically good at being hybrid.

In addition to all of the common classes coming back, I'd like to see:

-Light, Dark and Anima magic but with each school of magic (and the classes that use them) being diversified and interesting. There is SO much they can do with magic, especially now that weapons with special effects are so common. I was thinking of Light Mages having high speed and avoid, Dark Mages being high magic and defense and Mages having high magic and resistance. The would promote to Bishop, Necromancer and Sage, respectively.

-Nomads and Warriors from Blazing Sword

-Malig Knights, War Maidens and Spearmasters from Fates

-Thieves/Assassins with Hidden Weapon/Bow instead of swords. (Also the Steal command)

As an aside, if class changing is going to remain a thing, I'd like it if more characters were capable of using hybrid classes. There is no point in giving Mage as a class option to a character with 60/10 Strength/Magic growths.

I would like a controversial move to be made to make mounted units overall weaker as a trade off for their superior mobility. It could be noticeably lower caps at least, or that and lower growths, or (heaven forbid) make their skills more situational and specialized. Also, cavaliers being the only regular unpromoted class that has two weapon ranks in addition to everything else is kinda nuts. Path of Radiance introduced single-weapon cavs. I liked that.

Another crazy thought: bring down the general stat inflation. Things worked just fine when having something other than HP at more than 25 was considered really good.

Oh, did I start a thing? :p

Anyway, while I can see why magic was streamlined, I do think going back to Light/Dark/Anima and giving it its own triangle would allow for more nuanced gameplay.

I remember I did a badly drawn concept on /r/fireemblem last year for a class called the Wayfarer. They used swords and bows, were non-mounted and had a unique skill set that centred their gameplay on terrain and striking out separated from the rest of the group. Not to stroke my own ego, but I'd really like to see this or something like it implemented as a class.

Bring back dismounting. Fliers and Paladins shouldn't just get to dominate indoor and outdoor maps alike. No need to change their weapon levels though, always thought it was goofy that everyone who dismounted could only use swords. Fliers should also be hindered by rain/snow. 

I would also like a bigger divide between dark and standard mages. A return of elemental separation could also be nice. Light magic can stay dead. Not for any reason other than that it complicates the trinity of magic if we have elemental separation. But it can come back if dark magic is going to get the advantage against anima again.

Skills, should be pretty minor in my opinion, and single weapon classes should go back to getting a crit bonus. There should be a single weapon class for every weapon, aside from magic users.

I kind of liked the weapon level caps in Fates, but I think it should depend on your origin class. I.e. heroes from fighters have a higher axe cap and heroes from mercs have a higher sword cap.

Knives shouldn't be exclusively 1-2 range anymore either. Also wouldn't mind knives being devoid of weapon levels, usable by any class, no weapon triangle properties aside from maybe some specific knives.

Just my thoughts anyways. Same as my avatar hopes and opinions, I don't expect much of this to come true. But one can dream.

11 hours ago, Ryo said:

Kinshi Knight is used quite a bit in PvP; high mobility and being a wingslayer on wings makes it a prime choice for destroying Rallybot Falcoknights like Falcoknight Laslow. Bows being extremely powerful in Fates only helped its case.

I would like the Griffon Rider from Awakening and the Mechanist and Kinshi Knight from Fates to make a return since for mounted classes, they're unique when compared to wyverns, Pegasi, and horse-based mounted classes. For the case of the Griffon Rider, if it does make a return, it can definitely use improvements as it's axe-locked and units that have balanced stats are lackluster more often than not.

Falcon Knights with Swords, or at least some form of a flying class with Swords, would be nice.

Griffon Riders coming back with Axes/Swords could be cool and give them something over Wyvern Lord, assuming they stay on the same branch.

15 hours ago, Rezzy said:

YES PLEASE

I was thinking more on how Light Magic could be implemented, and how people suggested it have buffs.

I would like to see the Rallies incorporated into Light Magic, so instead of being a Skill, something like Rally Speed could be a Tome.  Light Magic could still have its offensive Tomes, but since it's generally considered the weakest magic, having access to Rallies would make it a good Magic to have access to.

There could also be Tomes that were both offensive and gave minor buffs like some weapons from Fates, but they would be rarer and the exception, not the rule.

To go along with that, Dark Magic could have debuffs attached to some of its spells.  Along the lines of Shuriken but not as OP.  Really, was there any reason to get +2 speed just for equipping Shuriken?

Shuriken/Daggers could return as a weapon class, but no Speed buff for using them, and nerf either their Might or debuffs.

I want the magic triangle to come back, it was fun and made magic users more interesting then they are now.

I would like to see thieves brought back along with steal because I miss stealing healing items from enemy units.

Make support pools smaller and the supports better written then they are now, not everyone is going to become buddies so why do they have to make it so people who have no real reason to talk to each other have supports and can get married?

If kids have to be in game do it like in FE 5 where there is a time skip or don't put them in at all.

I like the idea others have said of making the choices of the avatar effect who they can support and that would make replay more fun.

Not that I like to kick people while they're done but...

I would like mages to stay as they are, in the GBA games I found the magic triangle and to a large extent (adepts/shamans/bishops) to essentially be equivalent to sages in nearly all situations, due to your mage units also having high resistance, and therefore not running any risk when attacking at traingle disadvantage in the same way that axe vs sword was. 

I think magic units could be diversified, but definitely not by going back along the old lines. I'd rather mix in high def/low res type mages, etc. 

I think that the staves in fates should return though. That was awesome.

I'm pretty neutral on non-magic classes, I do think it would be cool if the"standard lances" were made harder hitting and as inaccurate as the current axes, and introduce a second "light lance line" akin to swords versus blades. Along the same lines I'd also like a myrmdon  style axe unit with great avoid speed and lower strength, although obviously only if it existed as a backup/secondary alongside the traditional HP/STR bricks. 

Other than that I'd be fine with just stable classes.

Edited by Reality

I've posted these in a thread before but these are some idea I came up with for new Anima/Light/Dark magic (Fates tomes were uses as the template for balancing).

Anima

Spoiler

anima%20magic_zpswnvkusdl.jpg

Light

Spoiler

light%20magic_zpszniiqbt2.jpg

Dark

Spoiler

dark%20magic_zpsj93c1gls.png

Anima Mages are the usual stock. Their magic provides versatile ways to attack. Light Mages are accurate and have better avoid but do little damage. Many tomes give buffs or restore HP. Dark mages would have higher defense and would optimally fight at range one to make use of Heartseeker to offset their poor accuracy. Their magic is powerful and can inflict debuffs.

Edited by NekoKnight

I've only played fire emblem awakening and all of fates, but just got fire emblem: path of radiance, love it so far, but I honestly had no idea but also loved the fact that mounted units could potentially move after attacking, also how certain elemental magic is effective against certain units, such as fire against beast tribe laguz, if I'm correct, all we currently have now is wind magic being effective against flying units, also dark and light magic would be cool if it made a appearance against, I have yet to use it that much though, I just finished chapter 17 if maybe that explains why I haven't used it/ran into it too much, idk. ^_^;