#cdnpoli

Life

So we're deep into the CPC leadership race and after the French debate (3/5), Kevin O'Leary decides to join. Shocker...

If anyone here is paying attention to this race, it's fascinating. This is exactly like the Republican race of last year but... our version of Rand Paul is currently leading (Maxime Bernier). And thank god for that. The guy has been meme'ing his way to victory and I keep sharing those memes to Lauren Southern. If she backs him (and I think she will because she's a Libertarian), Bernier gets a huge boost and might just win the race. And if he does that, Trudeau is gone in two years.

Put down your thoughts about the race. I'll post a little thing about each candidate later. This is gonna get really fun.

Edited by Pepe The Conquerer

Trudeau getting the No Confidence would be the third part of the populist triumvirate of Brittania. Kevin O'Leary Being one of the candidates for the Conservatives could mean that even the Scandinavian Paradise of the West  is willing to take a few steps back to forge a new way forward. 

I'm certainly more of a Liberal supporter than a Conservative one these days but I was a pretty big fan of the PCs pre-merger under Charest and Clark, so I'd love to see the CPC go with someone relatively centrist, preferably a moderate fiscal conservative who puts evidence before ideology. And most importantly I hope Canada continues to resist the ugly trend towards populism that we're seeing in much of the world.

Bernier seems pretty cool; I would be okay with him winning. He's more right-wing than someone I would personally support but he seems decent and his libertarianism is grounded in reality. Incidentally, I don't think the comparison to Rand Paul is apt. Rand Paul isn't libertarian at all, being pro-drug war, pro-military intervention, and pro-life.

Michael Chong is in favour of a revenue-neutral carbon tax which is A+ in my books. He seems like a decent individual otherwise; he talks of being inclusive, resists populism and immigrant phobia, and had a pretty good turn as Minister of Sport, minor post though that is. He'd be my choice at this point.

Kellie Leitch is awful. I don't think I need to explain why; she's everything I don't want as per my first paragraph. Trost isn't as extreme but still far too socially conservative and blathers about radical Islam and thinks sewage is a bigger environmental issue than fossil fuels, lol. (This is how you know I'm not commenting on this as a Liberal supporter, because either of these two winning would guarantee another Liberal majority in 2019, if we're still using FPTP. Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see what happens on the promised electoral reform issue...)

Both Lisa Raitt and Andrew Scheer feel like rather status quo, Harper 2.0 candidates. Like most Canadians I ended up with a rather sour opinion of Harper by the last election but it's hard to say how much of his negative aspects (anti-science stuff, authoritarian tendencies) they would repeat since it's not like Harper campaigned on those fronts. I find these two acceptable but not really exciting.

Kevin O'Leary comes off as a less populist/hard-authoritarian version of Trump. In other words he's a joke candidate but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't slightly worrying, especially in a large field.

I don't know much about the others. I was kinda hoping Jean Charest would make a political comeback to run for this (he isn't that old) but it was not to be, alas.

On 2017-01-19 at 7:58 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

Trudeau getting the No Confidence

I'm not sure if this is a joke that I'm failing to get but Canadian majority governments are not vulnerable to No Confidence motions under normal circumstances.

My position is this: No Chong and hopefully Bernier. That's in a nutshell.

Rand Paul is the father of Libertarians. And he's an isolationist, not pro-military intervention.

3 hours ago, Pepe The Conquerer said:

My position is this: No Chong and hopefully Bernier. That's in a nutshell.

Rand Paul is the father of Libertarians. And he's an isolationist, not pro-military intervention.

Do you mean Ron Paul?  He was the standard bearer before his son.