Hard/Classic is Birthright keeps forcing me to reset.

jdb1984

Is it my unwillingness to do a lot of grinding? My tendency to reset when I lose a character? The fact that I don't use just a small band of super strong characters? Or is it that I'm just bad at this?

Whatever the reason, and no matter what I try, I just can't seem to beat chapter 10.

And I don't want to downgrade to Normal, and especially not to Casual (I tried Casual, seemed far too easy).

Edited by jdb1984

2 minutes ago, Res said:

What's your current strategy? Do you have Azura in your party to sing to Takumi so he becomes an active member for you?

Of course I do.  And in my last attempt, I started out walling off the east side with Silas, Oboro, and Rinkah, while going to take out the three sitting in the Southeast at the same time.

Just now, jdb1984 said:

Of course I do.  And in my last attempt, I started out walling off the east side with Silas, Oboro, and Rinkah, while going to take out the three sitting in the Southeast at the same time.

I had to check, since just recently a couple of people were unaware that was doable!

I definitely start by moving most of my party west, then walling off and advancing slowly. As I recall Rinkah and Oboro weren't useful units in this chapter. I don't really advance until I have Takumi, then he and Corrin are the heaviest hitters. I'm far from being a great player and I just recently beat it on hard/classic without grinding, but I'd have to replay it to recall the exact strategy I used.

I don't recall what exactly I did, because I didn't find this chapter particularly hard. I just played "normally" and everything worked out. This is actually one of my favorite levels.

There's lots of things working against you. Ninjas are hard to double or even hit, and they have 1-2 range, debuffs, and I think Poison Strike as well. The terrain makes it difficult to move, and inflict lots of residual damage. All that combined makes it easy for someone to get chipped down, or at least force you to heal much more often. The enemies have overlapping ranges as well, so you can't attack one enemy without pulling at least one more.

I think it's best to play defensively. Don't overextend and let the enemy come to you instead. Oboro is a good unit to pull enemies with, and can seal the defense of anybody that attacks her. Takumi is your heaviest hitter- he can one-shot ninjas even on Lunatic. If possible, try to wait for debuffs to wear off before pressing on. Azura can heal back trap damage for everybody in her radius. You'll probably need both healers on top of that to compensate for all the damage you'll be taking.

You get Takumi.  He will hit hard, has WTA, and cares not for those spikes.  Use him to take out irritating targets.

You'll want to take attacks slowly - try not to tank more than two at a time.  Bring Subaki to ferry people over the spikes.

Be careful of dual attacks and always consider shuriken debuffs before attacking ninjas.
When you complete the starting part with the dual guarding archer/lancer duo (or was it archer/ninja?) that don't move, you should be fine. Takumi is very useful, he should always do the most damage he can, so make sure you position him in ways he can attack AND dual strike on the same turn. When the ninjas rush in, use a tanky character like Oboro or even Hinata in dual guard to alleviate the pain, and try to kill the most of them during player phase. Bring two healers. Always use Azura (possibly on Takumi).

With enough patience you should do it.

Funny you should mention the spear/archer duo, because I was just thinking that not trying to take out the ninja/spear/archer wall was an error I was making, since that caused problems late in my latest attempt (which was probably my best attempt yet).  I always felt I could just stay out of their range and deal with them later, but then they bunched up behind them in such a way that anyone who tried to take anything out would be in trouble.

I'm also going to see if Subaki and Hinoka can use javelins, since them having long range would have been a big help at times