Fire Emblem Echoes (Direct Information)

I just hope this game is the saviour that bridges the gap between old school fans and ones like me who started with Awakening (and even then I consider Fates to be truly my first game, as in personal experience without watching stuff on Youtube beforehand)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made him left handed to counter Celica's right handedness. I believe they did this to symbolize the difference between the two kingdoms and their philosophies, judging from the reveal trailer. I believe that Alm and Celica are from different kingdoms, right? I played Gaiden YEARS ago, so I don't remember. Zofia = right hand, and Rigel= left hand. This is probably a very wacky interpretation, though. 

Edited by Leif

5 minutes ago, Leif said:

They made him left handed to counter Celica's right handedness. I believe they did this to symbolize the difference between the two kingdoms and their philosophies, judging from the reveal trailer. I believe that Alm and Celica are from different kingdoms, right? I played Gaiden YEARS ago, so I don't remember. Zofia = right hand, and Rigel= left hand. This is probably a very wacky interpretation, though. 

Not having played the game but from what I heared

Spoiler

Alm is only secretly from Rigel. Or at least his father is some lord from there but he was raised in some rural village in Zofia for unexplained reasons because Old Nes Games.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Not having played the game but from what I heared

Hide contents

Alm is only secretly from Rigel. Or at least his father is some lord from there but he was raised in some rural village in Zofia for unexplained reasons because Old Nes Games.

Yes, this makes sense. I wonder if my interpretation holds more ground now? 

2 hours ago, Leif said:

Boey looks so awesome. Finally, FINALLY. A male mage that doesn't look silly. I am liking this art so much because it has that "mature anime" (for lack of a better term) look that was present in titles like Tactics Ogre. Oh man, this makes me so excited. I cannot wait to get my hands on the game. 

My thoughts exactly. Mages don't look retarded again! Rejoice! The new style is extremely welcomed.

1 minute ago, Namarid said:

My thoughts exactly. Mages don't look retarded again! Rejoice! The new style is extremely welcomed.

Yes, finally. Really happy about that, while it worked for Awakening since the dark mages clearly had an Egyptian theme behind them, Fates mages looked ridiculous. Wasn't big on the Onmyoji look either.

The art we have so far looks pretty great, and I'm really exited for everyone else's designs. I'm especially digging Boey's art, as having classic mage designs back after two games of Dark Mages makes me hopeful that IntSys has finally gotten rid of the more fanservice-y outfits. I do wonder if that dark-haired armored fellow is supposed to be a new character. That blond with the armor is probably Clive, since he and Alm are wearing very similar armor; maybe it's the Resistance's uniform?

18 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Analysis complete

Please poke me if I missed anything ^^

Failed to acknowledge Alm is now left handed. 0/10

Doma's sprite actually looked pretty draconic in the original Gaiden too. It's just hard to see because he's all slouched down most of the time and attacks with different parts of his body. But it's pretty clear when he raises up.

57 minutes ago, s07195 said:

I just hope this game is the saviour that bridges the gap between old school fans and ones like me who started with Awakening (and even then I consider Fates to be truly my first game, as in personal experience without watching stuff on Youtube beforehand)

Being from the Vets side, I hope this happens as well.

Is the weapon triangle going to be in Echoes? Since Gaiden didn't have it and it did seem to be in the battle forecast, I would say possibly no. Anyone know?

And will there be supports? I would really like to see some POR type supports to develop the characters from Gaiden that basically have no personality.

Edited by 1japanfan

44 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Analysis complete

Please poke me if I missed anything ^^

You mention that Gray promoting to Social Knight gives Def and Move, but it also heavily hints towards the promotion mechanics being like they were in the original (max [current, class base]) since Social Knight has 5 base def in Gaiden and that would be consistent (ther other stats are all higher than the class bases).

Edited by The Fir Coat

9 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

Being from the Vets side, I hope this happens as well.

Is the weapon triangle going to be in Echoes? Since Gaiden didn't have it and it did seem to be in the battle forecast, I would say possibly no. Anyone know?

I think some people were actually disappointed that Shadow Dragon did have the weapon triangle as the enemies in the game weren't created with it in min. So that's something to bear in mind. On the other hand we'll likely see some expansion to Gaiden's weapon system in general, looks like Axes were completely under represented in it among other things.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think some people were actually disappointed that Shadow Dragon did have the weapon triangle as the enemies in the game weren't created with it in min. So that's something to bear in mind. On the other hand we'll likely see some expansion to Gaiden's weapon system in general, looks like Axes were completely under represented in it among other things.

Y'know that raises a point...did you actually get a single unit with an axe? I can't remember getting one...

Personally I'd like it to be a choice at this point. Seen as the game is NOT built for it at all, Shadow dragon and New mystery I don't think sufferer too bad from it, It makes some chapters a little harder or easier, but overall makes little difference. But Gaiden based on how it worked could be destroyed by the weapon triangle. The early game would be beyond easy until you fight the first army over bandits then you'd get trucked. It's also a question of will magic take HP still? Since they incorporated that into the weapon triangle will they use the fates or old one if they use one?

4 minutes ago, unique said:

Here's one weird and mildly concerning thing I noticed. In the UK version of the trailer, Yuri Lowenthal says "

In the US version he...

?????????

Strange. There's still a noticeable pause where he was obviously meant to say it. I reckon they changed their mind at the last minute because not literally every line of dialogue is voiced but it's still quite strange they'd release it with the inconsistency.

33 minutes ago, DemolisherBPB said:

Y'know that raises a point...did you actually get a single unit with an axe? I can't remember getting one...

Axes were only on bandits at all in Gaiden. There were none to speak of on playable characters. None of the characters we've seen so far have been shown to use them either, which is interesting.

Um, I heard that the Marth game remakes used the same old system as the original game which made it feel dated... doesn't this look like the case here as well? I'm not seeing any up or down arrows when Alm went with a sword up against the soldier's lance.... Then there are close range bow users... and no sign of skills at all...

Like, is this just GAIDEN + GRAPHICS (and maybe 2-3 new characters) or something?

1 hour ago, s07195 said:

Um, I heard that the Marth game remakes used the same old system as the original game which made it feel dated... doesn't this look like the case here as well? I'm not seeing any up or down arrows when Alm went with a sword up against the soldier's lance.... Then there are close range bow users... and no sign of skills at all...

Like, is this just GAIDEN + GRAPHICS (and maybe 2-3 new characters) or something?

It looks like gameplay will be similar, but with how it looks, I doubt it'll be nearly as dull as Shadow Dragon.  New Mystery is honestly an okay game because it actually adds in support conversations - a feature lacking in SD and the original Mystery - among other things.  Shadow Dragon was literally just the same game, but with extra chapters you had to let a lot of your units die in order to get (but it's okay, 'cuz you'll get a myrmidon lady who can't pronounce the letter "v", which is... nice?) and a prologue that showed what happened before Marth took refuge in Talys.  Oh, and it has some online stuff and difficulty settings.  But no supports or anything to make it really stand out aside from obligatory, useless touch controls.

The biggest thing that strikes me about Shadows of Valentia is that opening, where you see a young Alm and Celica talking about the two gods.  Neither SD nor New Mystery had anything like that, so it gives me some hope that we'll at least get a more involved story.  I'm also assuming we'll get support convos.  Vincent's analysis informs me that there's also a "food" option during a battle as well as a time system of some kind.

Regardless, we only have a few glimpses of gameplay.  In fact, we literally only have half the visual information, as the entirety of the gameplay footage was of the top screen only.  And if you might recall in both Awakening and Fates, the skills are only ever displayed in the bottom screen.  The point is that we hardly have much info on this game.  The big take aways for me are that Gaiden is finally receiving attention after twenty-five years and that Echoes will likely be a line of remakes of older FE's.

4 hours ago, Leif said:

If I had to wager it's a homage to the fact that the character artist for this game - Hidari - which means 'left side' because she's left-handed.

That or they just randomly choose that, because I didn't even notice that.

9 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

If I had to wager it's a homage to the fact that the character artist for this game - Hidari - which means 'left side' because she's left-handed.

That or they just randomly choose that, because I didn't even notice that.

It was so incredibly glaring to me. XD It was like the only thing I could focus on watching the trailer. I missed so much else.