Official NoA Names

SalShich10N

7 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

They pretty much kept Thracia 776's names intact, though. I'll never understand.

I totally didn't blackmail them or anything.

I'm mostly amused by Lachesis. Did fans really get angry about them missing the super obvious reference?

Also, Scipio is amazing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, AzureSen said:

It's supposed to be Iuchar after a figure from Irish mythology, but for some reason they mistook the uppercase i for a lowercase L.

This is absolutely hilarious.

The deed is done, though. I shall now call the Jo brothers "Fight" and "Fought".

46 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I totally didn't blackmail them or anything.

I'm mostly amused by Lachesis. Did fans really get angry about them missing the super obvious reference?

Also, Scipio is amazing.

I wonder if someone got fired because of Raquesis.

The names in FE4 are a lot more celtic sounding than before. Surprised not to see a Brennus, Vercingetorix, or even Asterix in there. Thracia's names are pretty good though.

I wonder if anyone is going to try and edit the names in the translation patch.  

13 hours ago, SalShich10N said:

Actually, you should be questioning why weren't they more careful with Gaiden characters. After all they're getting a remake this year. Those are probably going to be the name those characters get in the upcoming Echoes.

I'd totally name a child "Wrath".

Gaiden in particular gives me a feeling all of these names are gonna be chucked out the window, especially names that contradict older official NA translations like Marduk or whatever the hell Murdock is.

3 hours ago, qwernst said:

I wonder if anyone is going to try and edit the names in the translation patch.  

I kinda hope they do..Not to destroy the more accurate translation but maybe just have an NoA names patch and a accurate translation patch...More work than necessary but it appeases both sides of the camp

The only problem I have with these new names is... I don't know how to pronounce most of them. :lol: Also, poor Azelle, as if he wasn't enough of a girly man.

Though, can someone explain the change of Mahnya -> Annand? I'm lost with this one.

23 hours ago, SalShich10N said:

The one that startles me the most is Erinys. Like, I've hated project Naga for renaming Fury to Erin for a quite a while, and now the official name is Erinys of all things. Ahh well, the large reason why I hated it was because how it came out of nowhere, but this is official so it puts a lid on that.

But seriously Diarmuid sounds so odd. I do like Chulainn a lot, though, the more things that remind me to SMT the better and Cu Chulainn is always a terrific demon. Still, I find it strange how nearly none of the names from Thraica got changed. Like, even odd names like Mareeta and Machuya still remain. It's almost as if they planned to localize Genealogy at some point but not Thracia.

12 hours ago, TheEnd said:

They pretty much kept Thracia 776's names intact, though. I'll never understand.

I'm pretty sad about this, especially for Machyua/Makua/Machua/Machuya. They didn't even try for hers and I've been waiting for a proper translation :(

7 hours ago, DemolisherBPB said:

I kinda hope they do..Not to destroy the more accurate translation but maybe just have an NoA names patch and a accurate translation patch...More work than necessary but it appeases both sides of the camp

As for this, bookofholsety said here and on his twitter that he'll be changing the names when the app comes out

The issue with making them direct names to references is that it's a localization. If you're localizing claiming it's based on culture, I've already seen a LOT of complaints that English speakers don't know how to pronounce these names. Any normal localization would leave names like Holyn and Johan alone. Kaga also didn't directly use the names because they were references. Not the exact spellings.

I still have serious shit with Ced because they made it canon in FE13 as well that Sety is Levin's son and yet they took away his namesake. Holsety -> Crusader Sety -> Sety was done for a reason, they made it canon, continued it as canon in FE13 and then... fucked around with it. I have no faith in IntSys trying to rename shit - especially after they changed Othin and Lachesis' names twice (i.e. Othin to Orsin and then they changed their own localization. They did that to Silzeha (FE7) to Silesee too). I mean, technically, Lachesis is a name change since it's Rackesis officially, so they changed from Rackesis to Raquesis to Lachesis. They can't keep their own localizations straight at all.

Also the argument about Furries and whatnot is still invalid because her name was never Fury to begin with. It's Ferry. Yes, the kana literally says Fury and it's a popular fan translation name, also that I myself use, but there are already official names in romanization. Though her children do embody the emotion of fury so all is well.

None of the other games had their names altered this drastically or severely, either. If you look at the JP names of other characters from other titles, only a few were really completely changed. Then you get like Eliwood who was just Eliwod. Not a big difference. In fact, the names used in Awakening don't even look like they belong with the names that got bullshitted into the Heroes list. It doesn't even look like they'd be from the same game. FE5's list wasn't even half as bad, though I'm still wtfing at several of them.

Also get rid of Asbel, I have Tales of Graces to think about.

Ultimately I can't even consider these official seeing as everyone considered them "official" in FE13 too, and now some of that is already out the window again. They can't stay consistent and things keep changing. Fire them all.

Also they actually went back and fixed that L and I issue on the Joha bros. They changed the Ls to Is.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

Not sure if this is appropriate given that this is in the NES segment but no other topic seriously discusses the official names.

Anyone has any ideas for names that can form sort of theme naming with "Clarisse"?

The only names that really bother me are ones that were already pre-established names provided by the localizers already. Specifically, Marduk (Murdock), Lachesis (from Raquesis, even if that is the correct name of the mythological figure), and the one that bothers me the most; Osian (Orsin. Like...why? You literally named the dude in the last game and Osian sounds dumb as shit smh). Naoise also bothers me even if it is apparently correct? Noish(e) just looks and sounds better to me. Diarmuid looks weird, but it's not like the poor kid ever had a name that looked good imo. 

I actually like Wendy to Gwendolyn, that sounds more fitting for the times and it's still a pretty cute name. Idk about name origins too well, but Wendy sounds like it came from the name Gwendolyn anyways.

On 1/21/2017 at 5:34 AM, RedEyedDrake said:

Not sure if this is appropriate given that this is in the NES segment but no other topic seriously discusses the official names.

Anyone has any ideas for names that can form sort of theme naming with "Clarisse"?

Yes, there is a topic.  This one looks like it's dedicated to the NES/SNES changes (of which there are many).  Since this is a DS issue, and I think you posted about it before (somewhere), please direct your attention there instead.

On 19.1.2017 at 4:33 AM, Vaximillian said:

All these changes and Fee remains Fee. What kind of a name is Fee anyway?

Honestly I don't know what's so wrong with the name Fee. It's just a german word and we had way worse offenders already (Haar or more random stuff like the Norian prisoner names in JP!Fates).

4 hours ago, Diabman said:

The only names that really bother me are ones that were already pre-established names provided by the localizers already. Specifically, Marduk (Murdock), Lachesis (from Raquesis, even if that is the correct name of the mythological figure), and the one that bothers me the most; Osian (Orsin. Like...why? You literally named the dude in the last game and Osian sounds dumb as shit smh). Naoise also bothers me even if it is apparently correct? Noish(e) just looks and sounds better to me. Diarmuid looks weird, but it's not like the poor kid ever had a name that looked good imo. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat lol except it really nibbles my nipples because I want some consistency

It might be an error since 80% of the localized names are intact

FYI they fixed Niime and Murdock on the voting pages for Heroes. That along with fixing the gen 2 Neir bros tells me that they do intend to make these official.

Edit: Supposedly this was done only on the NA page, EU page apparently has the first name(s) they put out.

Edited by Hozu

1 hour ago, Hozu said:

FYI they fixed Niime and Murdock on the voting pages for Heroes. That along with fixing the gen 2 Neir bros tells me that they do intend to make these official.

Edit: Supposedly this was done only on the NA page, EU page apparently has the first name(s) they put out.

Yes, but my point is there's probably errors throughout the original set that Nintendo will likely sift through- I.e. the names aren't unofficial so much as not finalized, as Niime and Murdock thoroughly indicate. They could very easily change more names between now and when they appear in release, so we shouldn't take the site itself at absolute face value because of this.