• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Are those official pronunciations?

Japanese is entirely phonetic. There is never ambiguity with how to pronounce something that is written in kana.

2 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Oh yeah, Japanese is kind of written phonetically. Meanwhile, English. Buoy.

English is a shitty language. It's like the amalgamation of everything you could possibly do wrong with a language.

8 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Possibly "la-rah-shell". L'Arachel looks like a really weird or a poor way to make a name look French or possibly Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish -- not sure on those other languages. In other words, foreign.

The funny thing is that Rezzy would kind be right that it's "The Rachel" or rather, it'd be "The Arachel" because of how the singular the in French, le and la, works with vowels.

If it's not an actual name, Arachel could pass as a name. Basically Rachel, but with an A in front making it "ah-rah-shell" instead of "rah-shell". In English, it'd be a bit funky since Rachel is pronounced more like "ray-chel" so Arachel would basically be "a Rachel". Or something like "ara-chel".

The stupid thing is her Japanese name would look more normal and maybe sound more "normal". Larchel could just be "lar-shell" or "lar-chel".

Well, I'm curious about how Neimi is pronounced. Is it "nay-me" or "nee-emi" or something else?

yes I got the joke I know french

but anyway I know a lot of people's guesses it's just that there's so many that I want to know the actual pronunciation now

her japanese name would look more "normal" but her english name is more fun and I like it a lot more so i'm glad they changed it

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

If they are planning to put out a new banner or banners to replace Alm's Army and Celica's Army, then they would likely reveal it tomorrow. After all, they put out the trailers for Ylissean Summer and Alm's Army/Celica's Army the day before those banners went live. Assuming that something is coming to take the place of Alm's Army and Celica's Army on the 28th, then the trailer for it should drop tomorrow if they continue this trend.

yeah, that is true. i guess the time they release the trailer usually varies, so it could be tomorrow or even later today. i think the next focus will probably replace the summer one, but i'd be glad to be wrong since i'm really excited to see who they're adding next

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

When I have a bad number two, I take a picture of it and show it off to whoever is nearby. I sometimes look for more information online about diarrhea and constipation to satisfy my curiosity. I guess I am a dude, so gross stuff intrigues me.

Are those official pronunciations?

tmi as fuck dude

but japanese is written phonetically so yes

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Japanese is entirely phonetic. There is never ambiguity with how to pronounce something that is written in kana.

English is a shitty language. It's like the amalgamation of everything you could possibly do wrong with a language.

I meant the official English pronunciation. For example, Lucina is pronounced with a soft C in English while the Japanese pronounce it with a hard C.

20 minutes ago, unique said:

aside from when it's with a big update like with the summer focus, we usually have to wait until 2 days before the current focus ends for a trailer or something for the next one. so as much as id want that i dont think it's likely, since if they were coordinating it with the echoes focus it would've been today. still, since they are currently doing two/three sets of new characters, they could mix it up and just do it now, so i guess it's possible

It seems like the announcements often happen in the evening/night my time.  We have less than 2 days left of the Echoes Banners, so if we don't hear anything tonight, it will probably be tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Asseray to Artur.

i can't believe they denied us Asseray.. and Heanius sounds heinous ;D

8 minutes ago, unique said:

mask lucina's art was actually drawn by the same person as regular lucina and so were bride lyn and regular lyn so... it's actually possible, unfortunately

i was actually using a lot of characters but like, ephraim is so good i didnt actually need most of them? i kinda used him too much so I just let people die whenever stuff happened to them. in the final chapter i just used ephraim, eirika, neimi, lute (as a sage), and gilliam (as a great knight)

one of my friends thinks it's pronounced like "lara-shell" but really i've heard so many different ways that i just want her or one of her buddies in the game just so i can know for sure. its one of the biggest mysteries of life. 

i like the fe8 dudes a lot on a visual level but i got... like 4 supports so i didnt have much of an idea of their characters. i'll probably play it again and do eirika's side though so once I do that i'll probably like the characters more. to put in perspective how little i saw the characters talk, i got ephraim and eirika's c support in the last chapter

oh..oh no...nononono-

lol true. honestly it felt like every character in that game was pretty good, especially since dodge tanks were actually a thing back then. you villain, how can you let people die..

yeah. if Dozla is added we'll know for sure. i can't imagine him not saying her name somewhere, whereas Rennac might not.

oh. yeaaah the supports are the good stuff. it does take a while to get supports in that game especially if you don't think about it when positioning people, i only got so many because i grinded the Tower of Valni and the Ruins(?can't remember the name) a lot. Ephraim and Eirika C support on final chapter lmao, impressive. theirs is one of my least favourites, so you may have not been missing out much there..

meanwhile i'm here like a dumbass pronouncing Neimi  Knee-me.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT FINALLY DID IT

CHAIN 11+12

NO DEATH, 4 ORBS GET

did it with Xander, Olwen, Reinhardt, and Priscilla. Olwen and Rein have + 1 merge but I don't recall anything that required Olwen to have 49 spd or Rein needing exactly 57 atk to ORKO so it probably didn't matter. 

Xander has: Fury2, Quick Riposte 2, Fort Cav, Swap, Bonfire, HP+3
Olwen (HP+/Res- +1) has: LD2, Desperation 3, Hone Cav, Repo, Moonbow, Attack+1, and uses Blarblade (no +) instead of Dire Thunder.
Rein (Atk+/Def- +1) has: Death Blow 3, Lancebreaker 3, Goad Cav, Repo, Moonbow, Speed+1
Priscilla (HP+/Spd-) has: HP+5, Live to Serve 2, Hone Cav, Rehabilitate, Imbue, Fort Res 1

Rein having Speed+1 is important since it causes 11-3 Genny's AI to direct her towards Xander and Olwen during the split, which Xander can oneshot her if bonfire is up---and bonfire is easy to setup during 11-2. Otherwise, Rein will have to take Genny and Mae at the same time and he can't do that.

Priscilla having Fort Res 1 is important since Olwen needed to survive a green mage during 12-1. Fort Res 1 allows her to do that. Barely.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

It seems like the announcements often happen in the evening/night my time.  We have less than 2 days left of the Echoes Banners, so if we don't hear anything tonight, it will probably be tomorrow.

I hope so, running out of things to do somehow. Ive got almost 100 orbs, give me something to throw them at and receive 500 more 3 star Jeigans.

2 minutes ago, unique said:

yeah, that is true. i guess the time they release the trailer usually varies, so it could be tomorrow or even later today. i think the next focus will probably replace the summer one, but i'd be glad to be wrong since i'm really excited to see who they're adding next

Thing is, they are going to have to put a banner out on the 28th, whether it has new characters or not, to accommodate for the fact that Alm's Army and Celica's Army both expire. If they don't, then there won't be any banner where the focus characters from those banners can be summoned off of. My point here could be rendered moot if they reveal that they have the ability to retroactively add those characters to the banners that would still be running as of the 28th but I personally don't think they can or would do that.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I mean, at least it has a fucking alphabet.

Even I know Chinese is fucked up 6 ways to Sunday, and I grew up with it. (The internet & computers made it a lot easier, though, since now you can look up words via copy & paste rather than 10 minute dives through a dictionary every time you need to look up a word.)

21 minutes ago, Kaden said:

The funny thing is that Rezzy would kind be right that it's "The Rachel" or rather, it'd be "The Arachel" because of how the singular the in French, le and la, works with words beginning with vowels.

That's pretty much why I say that.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well Japan it's Larchel, I guess NA wanted to make her pretentious. Which she kinda is charging into fog surrounded by monsters as a level 3 Troubadour with only a crappy Berserker by her side. That said NA did tone down other characters, turning Cougar to Cormag, Coma to Colm, Cetheredra to Caellach, Heanius to Innes, Xyst to Gerik, AMarica to Marisa, and Asseray to Artur.

Cougar sounds like Niime's name when shipped with Roy.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

English is a shitty language.

-He says in English ;p

Welcome to the thread where we hate on language!

@Rezzy so are you Titania or The Rachel?

Also, is Titania x L'Arachel a thing for you?

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I meant the official English pronunciation. For example, Lucina is pronounced with a soft C in English while the Japanese pronounce it with a hard C.

Not sure what you mean.

The Japanese pronunciation is unambiguous. Larchel (ラーチェル) is [ɾaːt͡ɕeɾu̥] in Japanese.

The English pronunciation from the Japanese name is mostly unambiguous by extrapolation. Larchel is [ˈlɑrtʃel] in English.

The English from the English name is whatever the fuck the dubbing wants it to be.

4 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Too bad that alphabet is useless more than half the time.

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

(The internet & computers made it a lot easier, though, since now you can look up words via copy & paste rather than 10 minute dives through a dictionary every time you need to look up a word.)

Handwriting IME is the best thing ever. Copy and paste is useless when looking up words that aren't on your computer. Like on the screen of my 3DS.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

At least it lets you look things up in a dictionary. Chinese dictionaries have to go by number of strokes to write a word, since going by phonetics is hell for anyone who doesn't know the word already. (And if you know the word already, why the hell are you using a dictionary?)

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Handwriting IME is the best thing ever. Copy and paste is useless when looking up words that aren't on your computer. Like on the screen of my 3DS.

Handwriting Input Method Editor is great, yeah. I don't use it personally so it didn't cross my mind.

Edited by DehNutCase

Just now, Oboro! said:

@Rezzy so are you Titania or The Rachel?

Also, is Titania x L'Arachel a thing for you?

Both

Self shipping?

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I know they aren't, but it'd just be funny.

Lachesis's voice was a lot deeper than I expected.

5 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Thing is, they are going to have to put a banner out on the 28th, whether it has new characters or not, to accommodate for the fact that Alm's Army and Celica's Army both expire. If they don't, then there won't be any banner where the focus characters from those banners can be summoned off of. My point here could be rendered moot if they reveal that they have the ability to retroactively add those characters to the banners that would still be running as of the 28th but I personally don't think they can or would do that.

ohhh that's true

thing is though, even if they can do that, they'd probably have to update the game, and there's a pretty good chance that the focus characters would be somewhere in the data, so I feel like we'll be figuring out soon anyway

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

the actual trailers have been pretty all over the place in terms of timing but a few of them have shown up around the next day for the game so it's possible that it'll be in around 5 hours

i'll probably stay up until then anyway

2 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

i can't believe they denied us Asseray.. and Heanius sounds heinous ;D

oh..oh no...nononono-

lol true. honestly it felt like every character in that game was pretty good, especially since dodge tanks were actually a thing back then. you villain, how can you let people die..

yeah. if Dozla is added we'll know for sure. i can't imagine him not saying her name somewhere, whereas Rennac might not.

oh. yeaaah the supports are the good stuff. it does take a while to get supports in that game especially if you don't think about it when positioning people, i only got so many because i grinded the Tower of Valni and the Ruins(?can't remember the name) a lot. Ephraim and Eirika C support on final chapter lmao, impressive. theirs is one of my least favourites, so you may have not been missing out much there..

meanwhile i'm here like a dumbass pronouncing Neimi  Knee-me.

ass array

i usually reset when dudes i like die but like... ephraim was so good i just didnt really feel like it? and i didnt want to restart some of the chapters so i just... never reset for people who werent neimi

i didnt really do much grinding but part of the problem was probably also that i didnt know who could support with each other. ephraim and eirika's c support is super weird but ill definitely get more supports on my next playthrough, especially now that my friend has shown me that ewan invents the internet in his a support with dozla

15 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT FINALLY DID IT

CHAIN 11+12

NO DEATH, 4 ORBS GET

Reveal hidden contents

did it with Xander, Olwen, Reinhardt, and Priscilla. Olwen and Rein have + 1 merge but I don't recall anything that required Olwen to have 49 spd or Rein needing exactly 57 atk to ORKO so it probably didn't matter. 

Xander has: Fury2, Quick Riposte 2, Fort Cav, Swap, Bonfire, HP+3
Olwen (HP+/Res- +1) has: LD2, Desperation 3, Hone Cav, Repo, Moonbow, Attack+1, and uses Blarblade (no +) instead of Dire Thunder.
Rein (Atk+/Def- +1) has: Death Blow 3, Lancebreaker 3, Goad Cav, Repo, Moonbow, Speed+1
Priscilla (HP+/Spd-) has: HP+5, Live to Serve 2, Hone Cav, Rehabilitate, Imbue, Fort Res 1

Rein having Speed+1 is important since it causes 11-3 Genny's AI to direct her towards Xander and Olwen during the split, which Xander can oneshot her if bonfire is up---and bonfire is easy to setup during 11-2. Otherwise, Rein will have to take Genny and Mae at the same time and he can't do that.

Priscilla having Fort Res 1 is important since Olwen needed to survive a green mage during 12-1. Fort Res 1 allows her to do that. Barely.

normally i'd make some snarky comment about how i hope you enjoy the 3 star draug/wendy/bartre you get with that but like

there's a new focus coming soon, so who knows, maybe ayra or shanan or someone else you'd actually spend it on will show up in a few days

16 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Even I know Chinese is fucked up 6 ways to Sunday, and I grew up with it. (The internet & computers made it a lot easier, though, since now you can look up words via copy & paste rather than 10 minute dives through a dictionary every time you need to look up a word.)

你不用 注音符號?That's what Taiwanese people use for their alphabet

59 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

the art actually just has a whole harem in it, amazing. but imagine if it was drawn by the same artist so not only do Eliwood's soulless eyes stare you down but the 50 eyes of his harem.

that is...a really important question. me and my friend both played so we would try to say her name out loud when talking about the game, it eventually devolved into "Lil Archel" which engraved in my brain a vision of her as a rapper. 

im crying from laughter

31 minutes ago, XRay said:

When I have a bad number two, I take a picture of it and show it off to whoever is nearby. I sometimes look for more information online about diarrhea and constipation to satisfy my curiosity. I guess I am a dude, so gross stuff intrigues me.

that's very nice to know

4 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

Welcome to the thread where we hate on language!

Down with Magyar/Hungarian, up with Icelandic! And don't let Tamil win the Gauntlet, Team Quechua is far superior!

And screw utility- all written language is garbage unless it takes the form of highly stylized calligraphy.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

?

2 minutes ago, unique said:

i didnt really do much grinding but part of the problem was probably also that i didnt know who could support with each other. ephraim and eirika's c support is super weird but ill definitely get more supports on my next playthrough, especially now that my friend has shown me that ewan invents the internet in his a support with dozla

Ya know you can find the entire support log recorded here on SF. Sure reading it isn't quite the same as seeing it ingame, but it is an option that saves a little time.

2 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Us mainlanders are too good for that, apparently. We use pinyin, which is Chinese sounds assigned to (not actually) arbitrary Latin characters.

1 minute ago, GuiltyLove said:

I have no clue. I'd guess we don't, though. Mind, I moved out of China in like the 2nd grade or something, but we were only taught pinyin, which doesn't help since it's just a romanization method. You still have to already know how a word is pronounced to use it.

All my Chinese is from brute force memorization.

30 minutes ago, unique said:

tmi as fuck dude

but japanese is written phonetically so yes

You know what is TMI? I see my cat lick her anus and then she kisses me on the lips. You know what is more surprising? I do not even turn away anymore.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not sure what you mean.

The Japanese pronunciation is unambiguous. Larchel (ラーチェル) is [ɾaːt͡ɕeɾu̥] in Japanese.

The English pronunciation from the Japanese name is mostly unambiguous by extrapolation. Larchel is [ˈlɑrtʃel] in English.

The English from the English name is whatever the fuck the dubbing wants it to be.

Lucina is pronounced "loo See nah." While ルキナ is pronounced "r/loo Key nah." I think the difference between hard and soft C is big enough that we cannot rely on Japanese pronunciation to approximate English ones sometimes.

I speak 'Murican. English is not that bad. English may not be the easiest language to master, but it is one of the easier ones to learn. I can still understand non-native speakers pretty well even if they butcher the language. I like to think of English as a fluid, dynamic language, where change and evolution frequently improves it.

2 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

that's very nice to know

I am glad you see it my way. Unlike somebody...

Haha.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I have no clue. I'd guess we don't, though. Mind, I moved out of China in like the 2nd grade or something, but we were only taught pinyin, which doesn't help since it's just a romanization method. You still have to already know how a word is pronounced to use it.

But at the very least, the pronunciation of pinyin is unambiguous. Unlike English where the character set that's supposed to tell you how something is pronounced can't actually tell you how it's pronounced.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Us mainlanders are too good for that, apparently. We use pinyin, which is Chinese sounds assigned to (not actually) arbitrary Latin characters.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

I see. In kids' books in Taiwan, they have zhuyinfuhao written above the words so you can read that to learn it. Nowadays I just use an app on my phone to write out the word and learn it. It's still very hard for me to learn languages though

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

But at the very least, the pronunciation of pinyin is unambiguous. Unlike English where the character set that's supposed to tell you how something is pronounced can't actually tell you how it's pronounced.

English dictionaries also give you the pronunciations, though. Like: ˈhelyən for hellion and so on. And it's far easier to look up, say, 'bridge' than '桥' if you don't know how either is pronounced.