Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

But at the very least, the pronunciation of pinyin is unambiguous. Unlike English where the character set that's supposed to tell you how something is pronounced can't actually tell you how it's pronounced.

English and almost every language has an IPA guide to pronunciation.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

I remember the Chinese dictionary I had when I was a kid used the radicals for lookup 

It wasn't that bad though

Also had a list of every emperor ever in the back, categorized by dynasty

that was neat

15 minutes ago, unique said:

normally i'd make some snarky comment about how i hope you enjoy the 3 star draug/wendy/bartre you get with that but like

there's a new focus coming soon, so who knows, maybe ayra or shanan or someone else you'd actually spend it on will show up in a few days

Yeah I want another Olwen for merges but I think I'll save what I get for now

If I don't like the new banner then hey, more for Olwen

Edited by Thor Odinson

We Chinese have taken over Serenes, huh?

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

English does, but unlike with Mandarin pinyin, it's never written next to/above a word, and sometimes similar combinations of letters would yield a different pronunciation for no reason. Lack of consistency is one of the things that makes English hard to learn.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Lucina is pronounced "loo See nah." While ルキナ is pronounced "r/loo Key nah." I think the difference between hard and soft C is big enough that we cannot rely on Japanese pronunciation to approximate English ones sometimes.

You're conflating "Lucina" the Japanese name of the character with "Lucina" the English name of the character. The former is pronounced "loo-kee-nah" and the latter "loo-see-nah".

Kind of like how "read" the word in the present tense and "read" the word in the past tense are also different words and are pronounced differently, but happen to have the same spelling.

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

English dictionaries also give you the pronunciations, though. Like: ˈhelyən for hellion and so on. And it's far easier to look up, say, 'bridge' than '桥' if you don't know how either is pronounced.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Your average person doesn't know IPA and would have to look up what some of the characters mean. Most people don't know that /tʃ/, for example, is the "ch" sound.

Any dictionary that tries to map standard English letters to English sounds has to give you a key as to what each letter with each diacritic represents.

The alphabet itself is a good thing. The problem is not with the alphabet, but with how English uses the alphabet.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

We Chinese have taken over Serenes, huh?

English does, but unlike with Mandarin pinyin, it's never written next to/above a word, and sometimes similar combinations of letters would yield a different pronunciation for no reason.

I do not think proper pronunciation is a big deal in English. Each word has enough syllables that native speakers can understand what foreigners are saying even if they completely butcher English, as long as the topic is not something like science, business, or anything technical.

1 minute ago, Oboro! said:

Today I learned that my theory, everyone on Serenes Forest is Asian except for me, is correct.

Just a lonely robot~

I'm a European mutt, with blood from the British Isles to Lithuania.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I do not think proper pronunciation is a big deal in English. Each word has enough syllables that native speakers can understand what foreigners are saying even if they completely butcher English, as long as the topic is not something like science, business, or anything technical.

Yeah, correct (or at least comprehensible) grammar seemed to be more valued by native speakers, at least in America. Most Asians are extremely concerned about pronunciation though; they hate their accent.

When you pronounce "some beast" like "zombies" because of your foreign accent, it might take some time for native speakers to figure out what you're trying to say.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Your average person doesn't know IPA and would have to look up what some of the characters mean. Most people don't know that /tʃ/, for example, is the "ch" sound.

Any dictionary that tries to map standard English letters to English sounds has to give you a key as to what each letter with each diacritic represents.

I mean, the burden of knowledge is the same case as learning pinyin for Chinese compared to IPA for English. That is, they're equally difficult with regards to pronunciation, since you have to learn some form of pronunciation guide either way.

English's huge advantage is the fact that, while its alphabet fails in the task of a pronunciation guide, it's still very good at letting people look up words in a dictionary, since alphabetical order is a whole thing.

21 minutes ago, unique said:

ass array

i usually reset when dudes i like die but like... ephraim was so good i just didnt really feel like it? and i didnt want to restart some of the chapters so i just... never reset for people who werent neimi

i didnt really do much grinding but part of the problem was probably also that i didnt know who could support with each other. ephraim and eirika's c support is super weird but ill definitely get more supports on my next playthrough, especially now that my friend has shown me that ewan invents the internet in his a support with dozla

pff i enjoy your nonchalance. 

oh..there was a thing in i think the extras section that would tell you who could support each other. yeah it's basically twincest ftw, and i'm like suuuureee why not?...i don't think i got Dozla and Ewan's support but i'm interested now

18 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

im crying from laughter

..tbh i would roll for that Eliwood..and rapper Lil Archel

3 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

Today I learned that my theory, everyone on Serenes Forest is Asian except for me, is correct.

Just a lonely robot~

i'm not Asian. and i'm a ginger so we can bond over our mutual lack of a soul

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

With a little reprogramming and insertion into an android, that can easily be fixed.

... do I even want to be Asian though? 

Just now, wizzard of soz said:

Yay! Let's be friends :D

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm a European mutt, with blood from the British Isles to Lithuania.

Seems I stand corrected

Everyone on SF except Rezzy and Sozz is Asian

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I mean, the burden of knowledge is the same case as learning pinyin for Chinese compared to IPA for English. That is, they're equally difficult with regards to pronunciation, since you have to learn some form of pronunciation guide either way.

English's huge advantage is the fact that, while its alphabet fails in the task of a pronunciation guide, it's still very good at letting people look up words in a dictionary, since alphabetical order is a whole thing.

They actually teach IPA or something? I know there are phonics classes, but I don't think I've heard of people learning how to read IPA in school. Chinese pinyin is mandatory though, pretty sure.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Down with Magyar/Hungarian, up with Icelandic! And don't let Tamil win the Gauntlet, Team Quechua is far superior!

And screw utility- all written language is garbage unless it takes the form of highly stylized calligraphy.

?

Ya know you can find the entire support log recorded here on SF. Sure reading it isn't quite the same as seeing it ingame, but it is an option that saves a little time.

i'm aware of that my point was just that I didn't get any supports when I played the game so i didn't have an idea of what the characters were like

5 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

pff i enjoy your nonchalance. 

oh..there was a thing in i think the extras section that would tell you who could support each other. yeah it's basically twincest ftw, and i'm like suuuureee why not?...i don't think i got Dozla and Ewan's support but i'm interested now

dozla and ewan's a support is incredible and amazing

like, when i was told it was about ewan inventing the internet i thought that was just a joke but that's actually what it's about

he also invents airplanes in their B support

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

English is a shitty language. It's like the amalgamation of everything you could possibly do wrong with a language.

It's true, though. English is a messed up soup of Latin, the Germanic languages around there at the time, and loan words from practically every language. If you want, it's word vomit as a language. Or diarrhea. Oh look, corn!

Children, do not touch or eat the English corn. It did not come from anywhere remotely sanitary.

51 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I mean, at least it has a fucking alphabet.

Would you like an alphabet like Vietnamese's? All those accents to tell you exactly how stuff is supposed to sound. If only I was literate in Vietnamese. I should learn to be... Some accents would have benefited English. I think. I hope. Maybe not.

Also, I kind of of wished romaji had more accents than the horizontal line thingie, but that's probably my I learned stuff from French and it makes sense and seems convenient to me. Mostly the acute accent for the "e" at the end of words. In French, if a word ends with "é", then there's an "ay" sound at the end like "parlé" is "par-lay" and not "par-el" which would be "parle". I guess for a Japanese word, something like hime is not "heem" or "hee-mee", but "hee-may", so with an acute accent at the end, it'd be "himé".

Edited by Kaden

7 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Not really. Pinyin is standard school curriculum for Chinese. IPA is not standard school curriculum for English. Any school-educated Chinese speaker should be able to look at pinyin and know how it's read. Most school-educated English speakers would look at IPA and butcher it about as much as a non-native speaker butchers English.

Of course, the main problem with the comparison of English to Chinese is that they both have the same problem: The way a word is written doesn't unambiguously tell you how the word is pronounced. If, say, you compared English to Spanish or German, English is clearly the inferior language.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yeah, correct (or at least comprehensible) grammar seemed to be more valued by native speakers, at least in America. Most Asians are extremely concerned about pronunciation though; they hate their accent.

Grammar may be more valued, but not by much. Based on what I see my classmates wrote during college, grammar is not what most people care about. As long as the other person does their best, like Nino, in making themselves understandable, I find adhering to proper pronunciation and grammar rules completely to be unnecessary.

English did not even have a standard spelling until pretty recently (recently on a historical scale, not personal scale), and Latin aficionados tried to enforce foreign rules and gave us words like octopi instead of octopuses.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You're conflating "Lucina" the Japanese name of the character with "Lucina" the English name of the character. The former is pronounced "loo-kee-nah" and the latter "loo-see-nah".

Kind of like how "read" the word in the present tense and "read" the word in the past tense are also different words and are pronounced differently, but happen to have the same spelling.

My point is that we cannot rely on the Japanese pronunciation completely to predict the English pronunciation. We cannot be certain how L'arachel is pronounced until someone official actually says it English.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The alphabet itself is a good thing. The problem is not with the alphabet, but with how English uses the alphabet.

You do have a point, but with modern technology, it is pretty easy to look up the chart and figure out what they mean. If American education actually improves, I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools and it will be more widely known.

14 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

Yay! Let's be friends :D

yay robot friend!

yeah i never learned IPA in school, and i still don't know anything about it. but growing up with English as my first language it's fairly easy for me to assume pronunciation for things and even spelling (though i lost the spelling bee in elementary for spelling zucchini as zuchini while the person before me gets the word "windowsill." i'm still salty about that). the reason L'Arachel confused me is because it doesn't look like English. but then again a lot of "English" words aren't really English are they...

@unique omigod..beautiful. i wonder if he ever actually physically invents these things, and the SS universe is way more technologically advanced now than the other FE worlds

Edited by wizzard of soz

15 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

Me and my spouse both have hair of differing shades of red.  This makes my son the ginger bred man.

2 minutes ago, Kaden said:

It's true, though. English is a messed up soup of Latin, the Germanic languages around there at the time, and loan words from practically every language. If you want, it's word vomit as a language. Or diarrhea. Oh look, corn!

I saw that in my toilet a few days ago... Sorry, I cannot help myself.

Sure, it is inconvenient, but I think there is beauty in all that chaos. I find the little nuances charming in English.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Grammar may be more valued, but not by much. Based on what I see my classmates wrote during college, grammar is not what most people care about. As long as the other person does their best, like Nino, in making themselves understandable, I find adhering to proper pronunciation and grammar rules completely to be unnecessary.

You do have a point, but with modern technology, it is pretty easy to look up the chart and figure out what they mean. If American education actually improves, I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools and it will be more widely known.

It's one thing to be understood, but I do think it's important to strive to improve in a language. You can function in society as long as others understand you, but you can also improve yourself so people understand you better/easier.

I learnt phonics at a young age, and that alone has allowed me to guess my way through most English words I think.