Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

17 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yup, it's "Tih-tahn-yuh," according to the narration of Radiant Dawn. I hated it, ignored it, and substituted their reality for my own.

I much, much prefer "Tie-tane-ee-uh"... Sounds so much cooler.... :/

I also pronounce Tie-tane-ee-uh.  If someone tells me how to pronounce it correctly I will silently question why they have to go out of their way to tell others how to enjoy a game.  Especially since most of these pronunciation arguments are held in written form.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Tih-TAH-nee-uh" is apparently standard in British English. "Tie-TAY-nee-uh" is probably similar to "NOO-kyoo-ler".

Just checked some dictionaries for reference. "Tie-TAY-nee-uh" is the proper pronunciation of the common noun "titania", referring to titanium dioxide, and probably had its pronunciation become conflated with the proper noun "Titania".

3 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

wait, I thought Saias ends up joining Leif's party later?

He does join, but that isn't a problem for GHBs exactly since Navarre joins. Robin is playable from Prologue on, even if it's not that Robin. Camus, Michalis and Xander, all also flirt with playability, the former two gaining the status in later games, and the latter being playable in CQ and Rev..

9 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Same could've been said about Tobin and Archer, but we saw how that turned out. I'm not expecting Mage Kliff anymore, but I will be happy if it ends up happening.

Like come on IS. He burns Mycen's wall with magic. In his ending, he

Reveal hidden contents

becomes an excellent mage, and has an awesome mage son.

Don't fail us here please.

True, I forgot about Tobin... And then there's Faye, when archer is one of the few paths she literally can't go down. Here's hoping for a badass mage Kliff, who becomes S+ tier because I adore Kliff and he's like my second favorite villager aside from Gray. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You just had to make me pull out my Super Smash Bros. game card, didn't you? The Japanese announcer pronounces it "LOO-kee-nah".

"Tih-TAH-nee-uh" is apparently standard in British English. "Tie-TAY-nee-uh" is probably similar to "NOO-kyoo-ler".

Ah. Huh, guess I heard it wrong. See ms a little weird that they'd pronounce the "c" as a hard sound instead of a soft one.

But yeah, the original pronunciation is probably the officially correct one from the name's origin (the faerie queen Titania), but I always liked the second one a lot better. Sounds more natural to my American ears, I guess, lol.

Edited by Extrasolar

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I had pretty much all my Tellius pronunciations correct from the start. Even names of countries and stuff. ;D

To be fair, not too much Tellius names have been said audibly. :P Zihark, Lethe, Caigh...neh...however you spell it, Skrimir, Sothe, Ilyana, etc. still don't have their names said yet, if I recall correctly about those mentioned.

1 hour ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Yeah, right. Same with the reason why they would exclude Camilla from a summer banner despite knowing well she would sell, although maybe it's to balance the gauntlet. also I am sure I was talking about Takumi previously and not his son.  if anything fangirls prefer priestess takumi over kinshi takumi but THAT is what not gonna happen. 

Camilla got her spotlight, and IS is having others covering summer fanservice and they've already done well. Though it makes me question why Xander is still there. Huh, I guess I saw Kiragi's name somewhere and Kinshi Knight somewhere else and I only clicked those... My mistake there.

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Ah. Huh, guess I heard it wrong. See ms a little weird that they'd pronounce the "c" as a hard sound instead of a soft one.

That's because Lucina's name in Japanese is ルキナ, which has a hard "c" sound.

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

But yeah, the original pronunciation is probably the officially correct one from the name's origin (the faerie queen Titania), but I always liked the second one a lot better. Sounds more natural to my American ears, I guess, lol.

It's probably because you're used to hearing the word "titanium".

Note I'm also American, but my first encounter with the name Titania was in A Midsummer Night's Dream where my English teacher pronounced it "tih-TAH-nee-uh", and so that's just the pronunciation that stuck with me.

4 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

To be fair, not too much Tellius names have been said audibly. :P Zihark, Lethe, Caigh...neh...however you spell it, Skrimir, Sothe, Ilyana, etc. still don't have their names said yet, if I recall correctly about those mentioned.

This is one name I'd actually like to know how to pronounce.  I always just pronounced it Lee-ana but I could also see it as just Yana or even Yey-ana

Zihark, Lethe, and Sothe always seemed like they could only be pronounced one way to me.  Are we sure Sothe hasn't been pronunced during RD's story???

Edited by Lushen

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

If you assume the Japanese pronunciation to be correct in cases where the English name is the same (which is obviously not a perfect assumption):

• Zihark: "tsih-HARK" or "TSEE-hark" with a German "z". But English will probably pronounce it with an English "z".
  • Lethe: "LEH-teh" as in ancient Greek. English and modern Greek pronounce the same word "LEE-thee" with a soft "th".
  • Caineghis: "KIE-neh-ghis".
  • Skrimir: "SKRIH-meer".
  • Sothe: "SAW-thuh" with a hard "th". But English will probably pronounce it "sawth" with a soft "th".

EDIT:

8 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Zihark, Lethe, and Sothe always seemed like they could only be pronounced one way to me.

Lol, considering those are the only three names I gave multiple pronunciations for.

Edited by Ice Dragon

19 minutes ago, Lushen said:

This is one name I'd actually like to know how to pronounce.  I always just pronounced it Lee-ana but I could also see it as just Yana or even Yey-ana

It's pronounced "horrible waste of space that shouldn't exist"

I always pronounced it like "Eel-ee-ah-nuh." But looking at it now it looks like "Eel-yah-nuh."

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's because Lucina's name in Japanese is ルキナ, which has a hard "c" sound.

It's probably because you're used to hearing the word "titanium".

Note I'm also American, but my first encounter with the name Titania was in A Midsummer Night's Dream where my English teacher pronounced it "tih-TAH-nee-uh", and so that's just the pronunciation that stuck with me.

Question, is the hard "c" also true for people like Celica and Cecilia? I'm really curious now.

Yup, that's probably it. I had never heard the official pronunciation of the faerie queen's name in Midsummer Night's Dream (we didn't read it in high school like a lot of people did, and it wasn't until I was an adult that I got a chance to read it on my own).

22 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Sothe's name is said aloud by Micaiah in the opening cutscene of RD Part 1. If I recall correctly, it's like "So-thuh," with one syllable and the stress on the "So", though the Micaiah kind of whispers it underneath loud music so it's a little hard to hear. Not sure about the others. I'd have to go through and play/watch Radiant Dawn again.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

Question, is the hard "c" also true for people like Celica and Cecilia? I'm really curious now.

"Seh-lih-cuh" and "seh-see-lee-uh".

Random note, Tellius's Lucia's name in Japanese is spelled "Lucino" and pronounced "loo-chee-noh".

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

EDIT:

Lol, considering those are the only three names I gave multiple pronunciations for.

Lol, admittingly I'm not very good at seeing different pronunciations.  My brain sees a pronunciation and it's locked in, I am then incapable of thinking it can possibly be pronounced differently.

I hope it's not Lee-the, Lea-the always sounded more natural to me.  
I always pronounced Sothe as Sewth
Wasn't even aware there was a difference between the german z and the english z.  

Edited by Lushen

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He does join, but that isn't a problem for GHBs exactly since Navarre joins. Robin is playable from Prologue on, even if it's not that Robin. Camus, Michalis and Xander, all also flirt with playability, the former two gaining the status in later games, and the latter being playable in CQ and Rev..

Ah, you're right, and we also got Camus GHB. Perhaps GHB really is not "strictly only completely villain only". And now I am sad because they are helding less GHBs now. 

Speaking of GHBs, I'm still holding out for that inevitable Black Knight GHB, and I would love a separate red-armor Zelgius GHB, since seems like villains/antagonists only get released through those. BK with Alondite, and hopefully Zelgius with a fancy spear, as a nod to how both BK and Zelgius could use both in PoR and RD.

Also, Julius GHB, with Loptyr. I am ready.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Seh-lih-cuh" and "seh-see-lee-uh".

Random note, Tellius's Lucia's name in Japanese is spelled "Lucino" and pronounced "loo-chee-noh".

Huh, that's pretty interesting.

I have a question about Seliph! So his Japanese name, Celice, I heard that according to the Japanese characters it's supposed to be pronounced like "Sell-ees," rather than "Sell-iss." Is that true? I always pronounced it like the latter pre FE13...

Edited by Extrasolar

I pronounce Titania as if it were Latin: tee-tah-nee-uh. Screw English and its incomprehensible pronunciation.

I’m also still waiting for Cecil(le) to join the cast. Celica, Cecil(le), Celice, and Cecilia: a dyslexian’s worst nightmare team.

15 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Wasn't even aware there was a difference between the german z and the english z.  

German Z is close to English TS.

Edited by Vaximillian

7 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I have a question about Seliph! So his Japanese name, Celice, I heard that according to the Japanese characters it's supposed to be pronounced like "Sell-ees," rather than "Sell-iss." Is that true? I always pronounced it like the latter pre FE13...

It's ambiguous between "seh-lees" and "sehl-lihs". Japanese does not have the same richness of vowel sounds as English so it's often ambiguous which English sound was intended.

EDIT: For clarification, the actual pronunciation in Japanese is closer to "seh-lees", but it also comes off the tongue with an "accent" of "SEH-lees", which is really, really weird-sounding in English. "Accent" in quotes because Japanese doesn't have accents, but tones in Japanese have a similar effect as accents in English.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Seliph's name was prolly inspired by Celes of Final Fantasy 6. Both named Serisu in Japanese, an Engrish take on the word "celestial". FF6's localizers just went for the straight translation and let the player sort out a pronunciation, while Seliph's name was translated as Celice and Serlis before they settled on Seliph.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This gets me thinking, if we were to get 2 GHBs that are strictly characters from T776, we don't have many choices. We have: Raydrik (bleh), Shiva (eh), Perne (slightly better), Galzus (he could work), Xavier (please, he should be 10 Star rarity), Saias (totally!- make those 10 Authority Stars of doom work!), and Rein-oh wait! (Actually having a second Olwen/Rein with the Holy Sword would be kinda interesting.)

Raydrik is such an obvious GHB candidate if he were a bit popular lol. Lopt Sword and all

Which makes me wonder, if Leif would have Light Sword or Totally Not Ragnell as his signature weapon

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You know it's the start of the month when you have to tap through 20 quest dialog boxes at the end of every map.

Is there any way to minimise the impact of this? Or will this be there forever?