Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

46 minutes ago, JSND said:

I actually kind of hate gay shipping because it undermines friendship and loyalty esque relationship so much

I mean I'm not a shipper myself because I see no point in it, but like, I tooootally understand this.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

45 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Also, shipping is usually not canon so I don't see how it makes the story fresh.

I was referring to yuri manga for the official stuff and fan fiction for things that are not official.

47 minutes ago, KongDude said:

This too. Why do people ship Saber and Genny. They're 19 years apart and have zero interactions throughout the entire game. Their endings have zero to do with each other.

They fought a few battles together. Chrom and Olivia hooked up after just one battle if you ship them. Things happen.

The age difference does not bother me. Some women prefer men with more maturity, wealth, and stability, which most young men do not have.

43 minutes ago, JSND said:

I actually kind of hate gay shipping because it undermines friendship and loyalty esque relationship so much

That applies to heterosexual friendships and loyalty too. Alm and Celica got it on. Corrin and his royal family can tap each other and their retainers, although nothing is canon. Chrom and Sumia hooked up, not to mention the children hooked up with each other even though they are all childhood friends and many of them are Lucina's and Owain's subjects.

58 minutes ago, XRay said:

I was referring to yuri manga for the official stuff and fan fiction for things that are not official.

They fought a few battles together. Chrom and Olivia hooked up after just one battle if you ship them. Things happen.

The age difference does not bother me. Some women prefer men with more maturity, wealth, and stability, which most young men do not have.

I see.

But the thing is that Olivia and Chrom does happen. Everyone just assumes Saber and Genny do with evidence that can easily be disproved. 

It's heavily disapproved of now, and it happening in fiction doesn't make it anymore comfortable to me :/ and that usually ends up in a shitty relationship anyways if those are the motives.

1 hour ago, KongDude said:

I don't like gay shipping because people twist their sexuality and say "they're perfect for each other" when clearly they're both straight. And any interaction immediately becomes a hint of it being canon, such as PharMercy from Overwatch. Mercy shares chocolates with a dude for Valentines, but people only go apeshit crazy when they hear a single line of her and another female. Whenever the characters comes within 5 feet of each other, it's immediately, "THE SHIP IS REAL" shoved down everyone's throats. Being an avid anime watcher, I encounter this many times and it's really dumb. Also, shipping is usually not canon so I don't see how it makes the story fresh.

You are aware that bisexuality exists, right?

Like I'm not gonna say there aren't people who get obnoxious about the whole thing but it's just as ridiculous to say a character is "clearly straight" based on being a woman who shows interest in a man, or really any other possible reason.

57 minutes ago, Othin said:

You are aware that bisexuality exists, right?

Like I'm not gonna say there aren't people who get obnoxious about the whole thing but it's just as ridiculous to say a character is "clearly straight" based on being a woman who shows interest in a man, or really any other possible reason.

Of course, but unless it stated otherwise, it's normal to assume someone who likes the opposite gender is straight. Maybe "clearly straight" was too much but I still think the same. It's just as ridiculous to say a character is bisexual based on being a woman who shows romantic interest in a man, but doesn't say they aren't romantically interested in women. I can easily say someone like Celica is straight because she ends up with Alm and never does it give romantic interaction with another woman.

5 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Of course, but unless it stated otherwise, it's normal to assume someone who likes the opposite gender is straight. Maybe "clearly straight" was too much but I still think the same. It's just as ridiculous to say a character is bisexual based on being a woman who shows romantic interest in a man, but doesn't say they aren't romantically interested in women. I can easily say someone like Celica is straight because she ends up with Alm and never does it give romantic interaction with another woman.

It's Schrodinger's Orientation. Without conclusive information, some people look at a situation with multiple possible interpretations and say "the cat is straight!" and others say "the cat is bi!" and neither one is really right or wrong. So they both should try to be understanding, really.

Mind, it's pretty hard for there to be conclusive information showing that someone isn't bi. In real life, plenty of bi people don't overtly express attraction to their own gender at a particular time for all sorts of reasons: maybe they're closeted, maybe they haven't figured it out yet, maybe they'd be willing to mention it but it just doesn't come up. So why make a fuss about people interpreting fictional characters as being the same way?

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It's Schrodinger's Orientation. Without conclusive information, some people look at a situation with multiple possible interpretations and say "the cat is straight!" and others say "the cat is bi!" and neither one is really right or wrong. So they both should try to be understanding, really.

Mind, it's pretty hard for there to be conclusive information showing that someone isn't bi. In real life, plenty of bi people don't overtly express attraction to their own gender at a particular time for all sorts of reasons: maybe they're closeted, maybe they haven't figured it out yet, maybe they'd be willing to mention it but it just doesn't come up. So why make a fuss about people interpreting fictional characters as being the same way?

Well, I'll let them think what they think, as long as I can think what I can think. I'm think pretty accepting when it comes to others opinions and ideas, but I don't like when it's stretched as hell or it has to be relevant all the time.

In general, I don't like people twisting originals to their own liking and saying that's the way it is, and it happens a lot with gay shipping and even shipping in general. When a large following makes a character gay, it completely changes the face of a character and it ruins it for everyone else who doesn't think so, especially when they're so determined to make it canon. Tokyo Ghoul for example: Protagonist bangs girl and people go fucking crazy that he did it because he had a close guy friend and he obviously wasn't gay. "Fans" begin to threaten author and burn copies of their manga. Basically, I've had a bad experience with all the shipping I've seen, but it's pretty common when you watch anime.

30 minutes ago, KongDude said:

In general, I don't like people twisting originals to their own liking and saying that's the way it is, and it happens a lot with gay shipping and even shipping in general. When a large following makes a character gay, it completely changes the face of a character and it ruins it for everyone else who doesn't think so, especially when they're so determined to make it canon. Tokyo Ghoul for example: Protagonist bangs girl and people go fucking crazy that he did it because he had a close guy friend and he obviously wasn't gay. "Fans" begin to threaten author and burn copies of their manga. Basically, I've had a bad experience with all the shipping I've seen, but it's pretty common when you watch anime.

OMG, I really hate this behavior too. Avatar: The Last Airbender had something just like this happen as well. The creators were threatened because Katara got with Aang instead of Zuko even though Zuko ALREADY HAD A GIRLFRIEND. People get WAY too obsessed with shipping sometimes.

I know I'm kind of obsessed, but I would never do anything like this. It's wrong and cruel. And don't people have BETTER things to do with their lives than worry about fictional pairings?

I also don't like that every single pair of close friends has to be a couple for some people. Can't some close friends just stay friends?

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

So... what are the odds that Alice and Valjean would be added to Fire Emblem Heroes - especially as permanent free units in a similar vein to Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna?

Just saw them, Valjean looks super rad. Completely covered in armor. We need more sword armors and armors in general so I would definitely welcome him. I'd really like to see new plot important characters that aren't the Askr trio, Veronica, Bruno, and Loki (even though we haven't actually seen him/her). I wonder what role they'd play in everything, and how they would be introduced.

Not strictly speaking, but generally once any form of media is released to an audience, the creator doesn't really have a say anymore. Leaving things open to interpretation can be used as a very effective storytelling technique. They can try to revise or dismiss things post-release or in follow-up material, but probably not without showing that had no plan for their characters/story in the first place. Ship all you want, but you're wasting your time if you're getting mad at people over their interpretation.

6 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

So... what are the odds that Alice and Valjean would be added to Fire Emblem Heroes - especially as permanent free units in a similar vein to Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna?

Not sure what's going on, but I look forward to Les Miséremblem.

9 minutes ago, Johann said:

Not sure what's going on, but I look forward to Les Miséremblem.

Alice and Valjean are 2 new Cipher OCs that have been recently revealed. Their debut starting cards are colorless, meaning that they most likely originate from the World of Zenith (Alfonse's and Sharena's home world). Valjean is Alice's retainer and is basically a butler knight (one of his cards has him serving tea... while in full armor).

Spoiler

Alice:

alice1.png

Valjean:

valjean1.png

Edited by Roflolxp54

I'm an equal opportunist kink shamer. I prefer to think all fan shipping betrays character identity and relationships, not just the out of nowhere homo-erotic stuff.

I was actually about to ask how people would want to see the release of original characters in Heroes. I keep thinking Bruno and later Veronica will be given to us as rewards for completing new sets of story chapters that reveal more about the real villain(s), or a paralogue/xenologue. Maybe they'll introduce new characters that follow their example. Like a flying red mage to round out the trio of tome using villains. Or an unmet askrian general that's an armor knight, soft confirming that Askr had an army before our guy comes along.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I was actually about to ask how people would want to see the release of original characters in Heroes. I keep thinking Bruno and later Veronica will be given to us as rewards for completing new sets of story chapters that reveal more about the real villain(s), or a paralogue/xenologue. Maybe they'll introduce new characters that follow their example. Like a flying red mage to round out the trio of tome using villains. Or an unmet askrian general that's an armor knight, soft confirming that Askr had an army before our guy comes along.

If Bruno and Veronica do join our side, who would the new villain be? And it seems we're assuming Alice and Valjean are allies. What would they do as enemies?

14 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Alice and Valjean are 2 new Cipher OCs that have been recently revealed. Their debut starting cards are colorless, meaning that they most likely originate from the World of Zenith (Alfonse's and Sharena's home world). Valjean is Alice's retainer and is basically a butler knight (one of his cards has him serving tea... while in full armor).

Reveal hidden contents

Alice:

alice1.png

Valjean:

valjean1.png

That's neat. Does seem like it'd make sense for them to be handled like the existing Askr units, then.

43 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Personally, I'd rather see the lords who still aren't in the game (Sigurd, Leif, Micaiah) get added into the game before characters who didn't originate from a main Fire Emblem title. At the very least, it would be much more difficult for me to get excited for characters I know nothing about (these two new Cipher peeps) over ones that I'm actually familiar with (the aforementioned lords).

2 minutes ago, KongDude said:

If Bruno and Veronica do join our side, who would the new villain be? And it seems we're assuming Alice and Valjean are allies. What would they do as enemies?

I had no idea who those two were before @Roflolxp54 explained them. I had a feeling we'd get a banner of Cipher Legends, the same four that appeared as Echoes DLC. Ditto for Warriors OCs. But Cipher Legends come from the Heroes world? Well that's pretty suspect, isn't it.

As for the new villain, Loki. The shapeshifter that's stealing important documents from villains across the FE universe. We don't know much about this person, but it's reasonable to assume they're responsible for whatever spell Veronica has fallen under.

22 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Personally, I'd rather see the lords who still aren't in the game (Sigurd, Leif, Micaiah) get added into the game before characters who didn't originate from a main Fire Emblem title. At the very least, it would be much more difficult for me to get excited for characters I know nothing about (these two new Cipher peeps) over ones that I'm actually familiar with (the aforementioned lords).

It doesn't have to be a conflict. Sigurd, Leif, and Micaiah will presumably be banner characters, while there might be added some other way like story map rewards if they're Askr and non-summonable like the Askr units so far.

I hope Sigurd, Leif, and Micaiah get added soon, but it looks like they're trying to draw things out, since they know lords tend to be big hits and they want to save some of that for later. I'm guessing at least one won't show up until 2018.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It doesn't have to be a conflict. Sigurd, Leif, and Micaiah will presumably be banner characters, while there might be added some other way like story map rewards if they're Askr and non-summonable like the Askr units so far.

I hope Sigurd, Leif, and Micaiah get added soon, but it looks like they're trying to draw things out, since they know lords tend to be big hits and they want to save some of that for later. I'm guessing at least one won't show up until 2018.

Micaiah and Sigurd have a big chance of being added. Reason is that most new banners they've done recently have been about games that have two different armies. SS doesn't really count as even though there are two lords you only really controls one of the two's armies.

Edited by Poimagic

5 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Micaiah and Sigurd have a big chance of being added. Reason is that most new banners they've done recently have been about games that have two different armies. SS doesn't really count as even though there are two lords you only really controls one of the two's armies.

I don't think there's any deliberate pattern in that.

I can't believe it... I beat CC Lunatic 11&12... Man... MAN I've lost count how many stamina potions I've spilt on that. Am embarrassing number.

Olivia/Delthea/B!Cordelia/Nino.

They always fell apart on Fear Mountain no matter what I did but I made it all the way to stage 9 with them on my successful try. The key was having Cordelia equip Escape Route and Olivia with WoM in order to manipulate the AI on fear mountain so no one side gets swarmed. It was a warp fest and a pretty fun one. The second was making sure Delthea had Dragon Fang ready to go in order to oneshot Celica on stage 5. After that and sacrificing Nino on stage 8, I made it to stage 9, beat it with a 2nd team of Sophia/Xander/Wrys/Soren and softened up the last stage before they fell. The only real objective there was deleting Sonia and Bruno which I did. Then I used my last team as a hard counter to Gray/Tobin/Matilda/Clive. Cherche/Lukas/Effie/Ursula.

Cherche destroys Clive, Lukas tanks everyone else, I really just took Effie and Ursula for insurance. Finally beat all the Lunatic CC's now. Used the orbs right away on the TT banner for Celica and Gray. Got another Sophia and a Hana, which is decent fodder but anticlimactic. Rolled for a green instead of saving my orbs in fleeting hopes for Sonia and got a Barst. Everyone likes Reposition but I can't help it feeling like a waste ultimately.

Still, he's +SPD/-HP so if I toss his Brave Axe away he may be worth building for those 33/35 offenses, no?

Maybe it's just the maps I've been getting, but I don't think Armored March is the game changer that many thought it to be.  I tried leading off with my Armor Team for Arena Assault, and getting destroyed each time.  Maybe it's more the fact that I got matched up against Reinhardt/hard-hitting mages every time, but Armors' lack of any real answer to mages really hurts their chances.

I've got Hector, Effie, Draug, and Amelia.  I used to use Sheena, who had half decent Res, but I'm not switching out Hector and not running 3 Greens.

5 hours ago, KongDude said:

This too. Why do people ship Saber and Genny. They're 19 years apart and have zero interactions throughout the entire game. Their endings have zero to do with each other.

Well, Genny does state that she prefers older men and her ending states that she falls in love and marries one of her companions; a man no one would expect. The novelization mentions that she develops feelings for Saber. The guys on Alm's army are either taken or too young and Celica's Army has Saber and Nomah as the older guys...well, Deen too, if you want another option. Due to process of elimination, Saber would be the one Genny marries. Neither ending truly goes as far as specifying in SoV but that's mainly because of IS's fear of obsessive shippers. Remember how Awakening's opening has Sumia as Chrom's wife but then they backed down due to mad shipper backlash. Same could be said about M!Robin with Tharja. Well, as for Genny and Saber, maybe future Cipher cards could feature the two of them together even if that would "trigger" the ones that ship Genny with Sonya for whatever reasons. 

Back to topic, I can't believe the Valter GHB is just a few hours away. 

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Well, Genny does state that she prefers older men and her ending states that she falls in love and marries one of her companions; a man no one would expect. The novelization mentions that she develops feelings for Saber. The guys on Alm's army are either taken or too young and Celica's Army has Saber and Nomah as the older guys...well, Deen too, if you want another option. Due to process of elimination, Saber would be the one Genny marries. Neither ending truly goes as far as specifying in SoV but that's mainly because of IS's fear of obsessive shippers. Remember how Awakening's opening has Sumia as Chrom's wife but then they backed down due to mad shipper backlash. Same could be said about M!Robin with Tharja. Well, as for Genny and Saber, maybe future Cipher cards could feature the two of them together even if that would "trigger" the ones that ship Genny with Sonya for whatever reasons. 

I personally go for Genny/Valbar. The orphaned little girl finding love in a father who lost his family... it certainly makes some sort of logic.