Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

I can see people getting frustrated if Ayra's point requirement was too high, but it'd make sense for her to have her 5* version at 40k and her 4* version in place of one of the seals at like 12k or 20k or so. That'd help explain why they were more generous with her power set than with other free units, too.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

I can see people getting frustrated if Ayra's point requirement was too high, but it'd make sense for her to have her 5* version at 40k and her 4* version in place of one of the seals at like 12k or 20k or so. That'd help explain why they were more generous with her power set than with other free units, too.

Black Knight's set was pretty dang good too.

1 minute ago, r_n said:

Black Knight is extremely good, certainly better than I'd expected a TT unit to be. But while they were pretty generous with his power set, giving him a legendary weapon, a personal 5* special, and solid passives, they were even more generous with Ayra. Her skill set meets all those criteria but her weapon is designed to CYL standards rather than early Heroes standards, and one of her passives is a highly desirable skill that's so far been exclusive to 5* summons. Also she has extra BST.

Just now, Othin said:

Black Knight is extremely good, certainly better than I'd expected a TT unit to be. But while they were pretty generous with his power set, giving him a legendary weapon, a personal 5* special, and solid passives, they were even more generous with Ayra. Her skill set meets all those criteria but her weapon is designed to CYL standards rather than early Heroes standards, and one of her passives is a highly desirable skill that's so far been exclusive to 5* summons. Also she has extra BST.

wait she has extra BST? I really didn't expect that to become a thing with rando units at this point.

9 minutes ago, r_n said:

If Ayra was the only possible TT unit datamined, then I would agree with this sentiment. However, Arden is in here too (and what a blessing he is to have), and as great as he looks, he looks much less impressive than Ayra. I would be incredibly surprised if he ends up needing more points to unlock than Ayra, and I would also be surprised if Ayra gets the normal point requirement while Arden gets something lower.

1 minute ago, r_n said:

wait she has extra BST? I really didn't expect that to become a thing with rando units at this point.

The general assumption is that, since Sigurd and Ayra had the highest rank among the Genealogy cast in the CYL poll, they were given a reward for it as well. Arden got third out of the Genealogy cast in the same poll, so his inclusion makes that theory more believable to me. Genealogy in general seems to be pretty popular for Japanese fans, and this might be a bit of an apology from the devs for how long it took to add more Genealogy characters. None of this is confirmed, of course, but it's probably the best explanation for it that I've seen.

Just now, r_n said:

Yeah, that's the most shocking thing. If not for that, I'd say she fits in well enough after BK, but with it, it's just so weird. Sigurd showing up with a Blessing skill and extra BST was a bit of a surprise, but it's like okay so that's just how post-CYL main lords work and presumably he'll stay exclusive to 5* summons. But Ayra is so much weirder.

10 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

That was my first thought, replacing the Universal Shards/Crystals. My guess is that they'll give out small amounts of Sacred Coins and Arden for the first half, and higher amounts of Sacred Coins along with Ayra for the next half. The curious thing about Sacred Seals is that, if I remember right, no new Seals were found in the datamine. They could be added in a small update before it actually starts, but the fact that both Arden and Ayra were found but not any Seals makes me think they'll drop them completely for the Tempests.

I still need to promote the Askr trio at some point, but unfortunately for them, I have no real attachment to them compared to... everyone else, really. Except Anna technically, but she would be the first one I'd promote anyway. Most of my promotions lately have been to Hana for Life and Death 3 (for Olwen, Clarisse, and Tailtiu in that order), but that'll definitely be put on hold for the Genealogy characters. I've sadly already finished all of the Chain Challenges on every difficulty, so I have no way to gain more feathers from them. I'm hoping to get a good turn out from the Tempest rewards, combined with some Hero Merit rewards gained during its run.

And thank you, but I unfortunately cannot take credit for its creation; @Vaximillian was kind enough to direct me to this Reddit post, and I just had to use it before anyone else here did.

I hadn't thought about the absence of Sacred Seals in the datamine. IIRC we always found out about them at the same time as the TT unit, so them being absent from the datamine could be more indications toward Arden and Ayra both being rewards. and as @Othin said, I think they couldn't make Ayra's point requirement too high. A lot of people would probably dislike it if they needed 90k points to get her. I could see them giving Arden's 4* and 5* versions at the usual 6k and 30k mark, but have the 12k seal reward changed to 4* Ayra. The 20k reward could be changed from a seal to some Sacred Coins and 5* Ayra could either be given out as the 40k reward or maybe even the 50k reward if they want to make us work a bit more. In the later case, the  40k reward would be changed to 3 orbs to keep the overall orb reward the same.

I have similar feelings regarding the starting trio, which combined with their lack of merge potential made me wait a long time before I finally promoted Alfonse 2 weeks ago because I had no bonus unit for that season and decided to go long term with Alfonse. I was going to do the same with Sharena this season, but I happened to get Sigurd, so that's postponed and I may promote Arvis instead of Anna for the next season after. I just got back to a decent 50k feathers after blowing 120k last month to get my Nino to +10 (no regrets, she's awesome and allowed me to stay in Tier 20 since). I haven't beaten any of the non-lunatic challenge yet since they can be replayed for HM farming, but I think I can probably do most of them except for a few Normal one without sacrificing that utility. And TTs are indeed very good for feather gain and HM grinding (though I kind of waste that second part by using Julia in all my TT teams. Renewal unit with BoL is too good. Might try replacing her with Arvis in the next TT though since he basically has Renewal 4).

Still, even if you didn't make it, props for using it. It's too beautiful not too be shared.

4 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

I hadn't thought about the absence of Sacred Seals in the datamine. IIRC we always found out about them at the same time as the TT unit, so them being absent from the datamine could be more indications toward Arden and Ayra both being rewards. and as @Othin said, I think they couldn't make Ayra's point requirement too high. A lot of people would probably dislike it if they needed 90k points to get her. I could see them giving Arden's 4* and 5* versions at the usual 6k and 30k mark, but have the 12k seal reward changed to 4* Ayra. The 20k reward could be changed from a seal to some Sacred Coins and 5* Ayra could either be given out as the 40k reward or maybe even the 50k reward if they want to make us work a bit more. In the later case, the  40k reward would be changed to 3 orbs to keep the overall orb reward the same.

I have similar feelings regarding the starting trio, which combined with their lack of merge potential made me wait a long time before I finally promoted Alfonse 2 weeks ago because I had no bonus unit for that season and decided to go long term with Alfonse. I was going to do the same with Sharena this season, but I happened to get Sigurd, so that's postponed and I may promote Arvis instead of Anna for the next season after. I just got back to a decent 50k feathers after blowing 120k last month to get my Nino to +10 (no regrets, she's awesome and allowed me to stay in Tier 20 since). I haven't beaten any of the non-lunatic challenge yet since they can be replayed for HM farming, but I think I can probably do most of them except for a few Normal one without sacrificing that utility. And TTs are indeed very good for feather gain and HM grinding (though I kind of waste that second part by using Julia in all my TT teams. Renewal unit with BoL is too good. Might try replacing her with Arvis in the next TT though since he basically has Renewal 4).

Still, even if you didn't make it, props for using it. It's too beautiful not too be shared.

I normally get to the last reward just for the orbs, so I'll admit that I may not be the best judge of the general public when it comes to Tempest Trial dedication. But now that I remembered the lack of seals, I agree that Ayra seems most likely to replace those instead. I certainly won't be complaining about getting her earlier; using her with the Tempest bonuses (assuming she's a bonus unit) sounds like way too much fun.

Haha, I can't help but spend my feathers once I hit 20,000-22,000. There's so many characters I want to promote, so I'm never lacking for options. I unfortunately cleared out the Normal and early Hard Chain Challenges as soon as they were released, so using them for grinding is no longer an option. We're in the same boat with Julia; she's not my main Tempest healer (that honor goes to Masked Marth, who also has maxed HM), but she's such a great unit to use that she always helps out quite a bit. I'm hoping I get Deirdre, so I can comfortably use her as a Julia replacement while still earning someone HM.

Agreed. I am honored to do my part to spread the best Arden to the world.

14 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

If Ayra was the only possible TT unit datamined, then I would agree with this sentiment. However, Arden is in here too (and what a blessing he is to have), and as great as he looks, he looks much less impressive than Ayra. I would be incredibly surprised if he ends up needing more points to unlock than Ayra, and I would also be surprised if Ayra gets the normal point requirement while Arden gets something lower.

The general assumption is that, since Sigurd and Ayra had the highest rank among the Genealogy cast in the CYL poll, they were given a reward for it as well. Arden got third out of the Genealogy cast in the same poll, so his inclusion makes that theory more believable to me. Genealogy in general seems to be pretty popular for Japanese fans, and this might be a bit of an apology from the devs for how long it took to add more Genealogy characters. None of this is confirmed, of course, but it's probably the best explanation for it that I've seen.

Iiiiinteresting. Pretty curious to see if this pattern continues

Just to bring it up as Othin did in the GHB Arvis topic (it was never commented on probably because that topic is serious and narrow- that's why my Maria and Minerva as the second true BHB comment failed in that topic), Maira the good Loptyrian and the Crusader of Valflame Fala have gotten for now official name translations. Maera and Fjalar. Maera is fine to me, Fjalar I had a little fit over, but drop the j and it looks rather close to Fala, the old fan name. This said, I'm still not happy they divorced the tome name from the user's name- Falaflame and Fala are now Valflame and Fjalar. Fjalflame just sounds wrong though.

This isn't the first time it happened, they did it with Ced (assuming Erinys's son is named after the Crusader still) and Forseti, though in that case, Forseti is the name of the dragon god and Seti/Ced probably got his name before the dragon god came to him- unless he changed it after the Miracle of Darna, which could be plausible. And could someone tell me if Mjolnir/Thorhammer is Tordohammer in Japanese?

I did a quick look on Wikipedia by the way, Fjalar is the name of a crimson (red = firey = reason for IS's naming?) rooster who crows in Jotunheim- Land of the Giants when Ragnarok is about to begin.

Edit: Maera isn't Norse it appears, Greco-Roman mythos related instead. This is not unusual for Jugdral, for despite its Norse and Irish leanings, it has traces of other mythologies as well. Erinys being Greco-Roman.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And could someone tell me if Mjolnir/Thorhammer is Tordohammer in Japanese?

Thorhammer is already calque from the Japanese トールハンマー (Tōru hanmā). Awakening called it Mjölnir.

But then Fates came and ruined everything yet again.

Also, Radiant Dawn already had Valaura as a distinct tome in the Aura line, so Val- can be reinterpreted as a prefix not unlike Rex-, Arc-, and so on.

Edited by Vaximillian

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This isn't the first time it happened, they did it with Ced (assuming Erinys's son is named after the Crusader still) and Forseti, though in that case, Forseti is the name of the dragon god and Seti/Ced probably got his name before the dragon god came to him- unless he changed it after the Miracle of Darna, which could be plausible. And could someone tell me if Mjolnir/Thorhammer is Tordohammer in Japanese?

I don't mind the Seti/Ced change personally, since Seti seems a bit too on the nose for my tastes. It's not even guaranteed that Ced will be able to use Forseti anyway, considering the mother determines the kids in FE4, and Lewyn's the one who gives Forseti. Ced's design is certainly trying to tell the player "make Lewyn his father!", but sharing his name with part of Forseti is an extra level that I don't think is necessary.

7 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Thorhammer is already calque from the Japanese トールハンマー (Tōru hanmā). Awakening called it Mjölnir.

Also, Radiant Dawn already had Valaura as a distinct tome in the Aura line, so Val- can be reinterpreted as a prefix not unlike Rex-, Arc-, and so on.

Valaura, as best as I can tell, was named for its user, Valtome. I don't think it would make sense as a generic prefix, and holy weapons aren't supposed to have generic prefixes anyway.

Regarding Ayra and Sigurd getting the CYL BST treatment because they were the top 2 most popular characters from FE4, it just made imagine RD!Ike and and Micaiah getting the same treatment for being the 2 most popular RD character. Micaiah could be on a banner while RD!Ike is a TT reward like Ayra. Might try my hand at a stat mock-up for them.

4 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I normally get to the last reward just for the orbs, so I'll admit that I may not be the best judge of the general public when it comes to Tempest Trial dedication. But now that I remembered the lack of seals, I agree that Ayra seems most likely to replace those instead. I certainly won't be complaining about getting her earlier; using her with the Tempest bonuses (assuming she's a bonus unit) sounds like way too much fun.

Haha, I can't help but spend my feathers once I hit 20,000-22,000. There's so many characters I want to promote, so I'm never lacking for options. I unfortunately cleared out the Normal and early Hard Chain Challenges as soon as they were released, so using them for grinding is no longer an option. We're in the same boat with Julia; she's not my main Tempest healer (that honor goes to Masked Marth, who also has maxed HM), but she's such a great unit to use that she always helps out quite a bit. I'm hoping I get Deirdre, so I can comfortably use her as a Julia replacement while still earning someone HM.

Agreed. I am honored to do my part to spread the best Arden to the world.

I do so myself, but I always had a 40% bonus unit and I'm a completionist, so I assume most people aren't like me. I've often read post where people said they didn't have any of the Bonus unit until they got the 6k reward character, so getting to the 40k reward was really hard for them. I was about to say I'd like to use Ayra and Arden, but considering I was already planning to use Sigurd and Arvis,  an all red team sounds like plan to get sweeped by a blue unit.

I think the reason I tend to hoard feathers is that there are so many characters I want to promote that I often just end up not promoting anyone for a long while. Deidre would indeed be a nice way to use Julia without using Julia. Hope I'll pull her with some of the orbs from the tempest.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Valaura, as best as I can tell, was named for its user, Valtome. I don't think it would make sense as a generic prefix, and holy weapons aren't supposed to have generic prefixes anyway.

Anything can change!

I’m only trying to retro-justify the naming, is all.

9 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Awakening ruined Rexcalibur. Not that the tome was particularly powerful in RD (b/c RD hates mages), but it looked so cool! Awakening and Fates for all their outrageous armor designs and anime appearances, took a corn laden dump on spell animations. GBA-Tellius (and Jugdral I wager) did them so well!

3 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I don't mind the Seti/Ced change personally, since Seti seems a bit too on the nose for my tastes. It's not even guaranteed that Ced will be able to use Forseti anyway, considering the mother determines the kids in FE4, and Lewyn's the one who gives Forseti. Ced's design is certainly trying to tell the player "make Lewyn his father!", but sharing his name with part of Forseti is an extra level that I don't think is necessary.

Well it makes sense regardless that Erinys would name her child after the National Crusader. How many English have been named George in honor of St. George? Naming people after beloved religious figures is natural- need I mention the commonness over a thousand years of the name of the Arabian Seal of the Prophets?

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I actually want them to go farther and to call him Cedric. Cedric is a cool name.

I mean, Wendy became Gwendolyn, Rody became Roderick, why can’t Ced be called by his full name Cedric?

Cedric is cool I agree. But I'm thinking Ced is supposed to be pronounced Ce-d or Seh-dee, just like Seti. NoA just made it look not like the actual pronunciation at first glance. Like Caeda, which is supposed to be pronounced the same as Shiida and Sheeda (or so we might learn when FEW comes out).

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

Makes sense, Valtome is full of himself. Mind you he took a perfectly good Rexaura and nerfed it's power just for an extra 2 uses, some poisoning, and a color change of the animation. Sounds right- Valtome has a very developed sense for the aesthetic, if not the best idea of how to fight a battle, what a shame he and Oliver never get to have a chat.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I actually want them to go farther and to call him Cedric. Cedric is a cool name.

I mean, Wendy became Gwendolyn, Rody became Roderick, why can’t Ced be called by his full name Cedric?

I'd be perfectly fine with that too. Ced does the difference of already being used in Awakening, but so did Raquesis, so that's not necessarily a guarantee. I tend to prefer the full names anyway, personally.

3 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

Regarding Ayra and Sigurd getting the CYL BST treatment because they were the top 2 most popular characters from FE4, it just made imagine RD!Ike and and Micaiah getting the same treatment for being the 2 most popular RD character. Micaiah could be on a banner while RD!Ike is a TT reward like Ayra. Might try my hand at a stat mock-up for them.

I do so myself, but I always had a 40% bonus unit and I'm a completionist, so I assume most people aren't like me. I've often read post where people said they didn't have any of the Bonus unit until they got the 6k reward character, so getting to the 40k reward was really hard for them. I was about to say I'd like to use Ayra and Arden, but considering I was already planning to use Sigurd and Arvis,  an all red team sounds like plan to get sweeped by a blue unit.

I think the reason I tend to hoard feathers is that there are so many characters I want to promote that I often just end up not promoting anyone for a long while. Deidre would indeed be a nice way to use Julia without using Julia. Hope I'll pull her with some of the orbs from the tempest.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make "most popular units per game get stat bonuses" a thing from now on. At least the top 4 still have the special reward of getting two different versions in the game, with the top two also getting that extra BST.

There have been times that I've cleared all the rewards with just the +20% bonus unit, but that takes a combination of extra dedication and more freetime, so I don't expect everyone else to do the same either. I'm currently planning to run PA Olivia as a Dancer/Healer hybrid (her dagger + BoL3 + BoL Seal), Seliph for HM (I'll likely never get a good chance to get him HM again), and Tailtiu because good unit plus color variety plus I like her. The last spot will hopefully be Deirdre, but otherwise I'll just throw whoever in that spot instead.

I managed to get Tailtiu, my most wanted unit, in three pulls. Unfortunately, both Vaximillian and I have had much less luck with Deirdre. Hopefully Tempest orbs will give us all a better chance, indeed.

I've noticed that Feathers seem to be piling up more for me a lot lately.  I think much of it is the fact that I've already promoted most of the 3-4*s that I want already.  And every time they introduce new characters, they are 5* already.  If they are a character I really want, I try to get them on their introductory Banner, and if they are later dropped to 4*, most of the time I either already got them at 5* or wasn't too motivated to use them.  GHB characters are the obvious choices to get promoted and use 20K feathers, but we had a two month gap where no new GHB units at all were released, and it's been months before that that we last had one that I did end up promoting.

I really would appreciate adding some more 3-4*s to the summoning pool.  Some of the most rewarding characters were the ones I took from 3 to 5*.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Cedric is cool I agree. But I'm thinking Ced is supposed to be pronounced Ce-d or Seh-dee, just like Seti. NoA just made it look not like the actual pronunciation at first glance. Like Caeda, which is supposed to be pronounced the same as Shiida and Sheeda (or so we might learn when FEW comes out).

With the translation, the dragon is Forseti, and the crusader is Ced(ric). Erinys’ son is named after the latter.

Caeda is see-duh. Shiida and Sheeda are see-duh too.

@DefaultBeep: Team Cedric go!

I hope the tempest comes before the end of the month. I want to get Deirdre, damn it. Or Julia. Or both.

Edited by Vaximillian

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I really would appreciate adding some more 3-4*s to the summoning pool.  Some of the most rewarding characters were the ones I took from 3 to 5*.

That could be an excuse to add unpopulars. The popular and semi-popular get 4-5 and 5 Star treatment while the unpopular get 3-4 treatment. I wouldn't mind raising a Ronan to 5 Star. His Iceberg would pack titanic damage if every other hit being less than a slight breeze.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Team Cedric go!

I hope the tempest comes before the end of the month. I want to get Deirdre, damn it. Or Julia. Or both.

To be honest, I was almost expecting your free pull on the banner to be Julia. That would've been... perfect? I'll leave that up to you. Although, speaking of Julia, if she gets put on the Tempest banner, would you rather try for her, or keep going for her mother?

Ah, the choice between a daughter and her mother. A conundrum as old as time itself.

Last Tempest arrived on the 23rd. I hope we get it sooner than that though, both for the orbs and also because I don't like how the Tempest have been starting later and later in the month every time. It feels weird for them to bleed into the next month too.

I don't know if this is only me, but I feel the game's getting super boring lately. I think the game needs some new feature to be refreshed to make players grind more or something. After clearing the small content they've been adding, what's left in the game is self improvement, basically. TT only matters once you hit the 40/50K rewards, the rest of feathers and orbs are up to the players' mood, and VG lost its charm since its first iteration.