Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

7 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

Considering it isn't just based on Japanese entertainment standards, but also based on what conditions in a similar timeframe actually were, it's pretty close. Back then, you were lucky to make it to 50, let alone Sage-age. 

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think this partly depends on whether you add high infancy mortality rates to average life expectancy or not. Get past the dangers of childhood, and things are a bit better looking, if you're of the upper crust at least. Peasants aren't so lucky.

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Eh, the lower life expectancy back in the day is often misinterpreted and a large part of it is driven by infant and childhood mortality. If you made it into your thirties, the outlook wasn't quite so grim.

If you made it to 20, you had a pretty good chance of making it to 50.  After that people died pretty regularly, but people in their prime stayed around at a pretty decent rate.  Not as good as today, but not as bad as many think.

Even the upper class had trouble living past 70.  Looking at the list of English kings, not a single Medieval era king lived to 70.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The character ages page on SF puts her in her 20s, and Zelot in his 30s. But it doesn't cite any sources, and in none of Juno's dialogue do I see her age at all mentioned. So I doubt it's accurate. If it is at all accurate, it is by Japanese popular entertainment media standards, which defines old as somewhere between 25-30+.

The source is almost certainly Fire Emblem Characters, which is the official reference and artbook for the Elibe games. I'd pull out my copy to verify, but it's buried behind a stack of boxes and packing material in the corner of my room.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The source is almost certainly Fire Emblem Characters, which is the official reference and artbook for the Elibe games. I'd pull out my copy to verify, but it's buried behind a stack of boxes and packing material in the corner of my room.

I assume you mean this. Although I like to think that there was an interview with Juno for the article and she was a bit liberal with the truth when it came to age. You should never ask a lady her age anyway.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eliwood is not decrepit, a little sick, but not past his prime at all in FE6:

Eliwood Paladin Lv 20 HP 48 Str 25 Skl 20 Spd 22 Lck 14 Def 24 Res 15 Con 11 Mov 8 AffinAnima Sword A, LanceS, Axe C

Hector on the other hand.... muscle mass obviously began to degenerate or be devoured by his beard:

Hector General Lv 20 HP 43 Str 18 Skl 20 Spd 10 Lck 15 Def 30 Res 15 Con 20 Mov 5 Thunder Lance A, AxeA

The Con increase must mean he was putting on extra weight, and I thought Lilina forbade him from snacking on those legendary Ostian pasties.

I'll just call up Arvis for cremation services. He certainly got old in 20 years (well 16 from Belhalla; I think he should be in early 20s in Gen 1):

alvis1 into alvis2

I think this partly depends on whether you add high infancy mortality rates to average life expectancy or not. Get past the dangers of childhood, and things are a bit better looking, if you're of the upper crust at least. Peasants aren't so lucky.

Personally, I always figured Hector's decline to stem from either catching whatever killed Uther later in life, or Armads' curse. Incidentally, does anyone else wonder about the consequences of giving Armads to one of your characters in Binding Blade if the damn thing curses the user to die on the battlefield?

2 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Personally, I always figured Hector's decline to stem from either catching whatever killed Uther later in life, or Armads' curse. Incidentally, does anyone else wonder about the consequences of giving Armads to one of your characters in Binding Blade if the damn thing curses the user to die on the battlefield?

I only just got up to that part and I was surprised to turn out that the "curse" was a lie: no such thing happens. Probably just some hoax started by the previous owner to discourage people from stealing it.

43 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Eh, the lower life expectancy back in the day is often misinterpreted and a large part of it is driven by infant and childhood mortality. If you made it into your thirties, the outlook wasn't quite so grim.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eliwood Paladin Lv 20 HP 48 Str 25 Skl 20 Spd 22 Lck 14 Def 24 Res 15 Con 11 Mov 8 AffinAnima Sword A, LanceS, Axe C

Hector on the other hand.... muscle mass obviously began to degenerate or be devoured by his beard:

Hector General Lv 20 HP 43 Str 18 Skl 20 Spd 10 Lck 15 Def 30 Res 15 Con 20 Mov 5 Thunder Lance A, AxeA

The Con increase must mean he was putting on extra weight, and I thought Lilina forbade him from snacking on those legendary Ostian pasties.

I'll just call up Arvis for cremation services. He certainly got old in 20 years (well 16 from Belhalla; I think he should be in early 20s in Gen 1):

alvis1 into alvis2

I'm aware, but then, these are also games where war is a constant. As such, you have the complications of old infections, wounds, etc that pile on the stress that gets worse with aging.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

I only just got up to that part and I was surprised to turn out that the "curse" was a lie: no such thing happens. Probably just some hoax started by the previous owner to discourage people from stealing it.

Either that or superstition based off precedent, where two unrelated things were assumed to be linked. Like the belief some people have that certain button inputs in Pokemon effect the catch rate. Doesn't matter if it turns out it's fake, some people will still believe it.

7 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I only just got up to that part and I was surprised to turn out that the "curse" was a lie: no such thing happens. Probably just some hoax started by the previous owner to discourage people from stealing it

The "curse" is stated by none other than the spirt of Durban himself:

Durban:
“You desire strength? Then prepare yourself. Once you have gained such power… Your life will not end in a comfortable bed. You will die on the battlefield. In the savage garden of war’s bloody delights.”

Hector did die of battle, people don't randomly bleed like that. He just didn't die of his wounds right away. Although in retrospect of FE7, you'd think he would have said to Zephiel "This is what I get for saving your life years ago?!".

14 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I assume you mean this. Although I like to think that there was an interview with Juno for the article and she was a bit liberal with the truth when it came to age. You should never ask a lady her age anyway.

Kantopia? So @Kirokan translated it? Thank them once again! Even if it was done back in 2014!

And then I noticed this one article they wrote saying the "Father of Sothe's children" line is a localization lie! Noooooooooooooooo! 

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The "curse" is stated by none other than the spirt of Durban himself:

Durban:
“You desire strength? Then prepare yourself. Once you have gained such power… Your life will not end in a comfortable bed. You will die on the battlefield. In the savage garden of war’s bloody delights.”

Hector did die of battle, people don't randomly bleed like that. He just didn't die of his wounds right away. Although in retrospect of FE7, you'd think he would have said to Zephiel "This is what I get for saving your life years ago?!".

It's a half-truth at best, but y'know how these curses are often gotchas in which the payoff happens in an unexpected but literally true way. Maybe Durban had given the speech so often that he forgot the original words and some sort of Chinese whispers thing happened. At any rate, the statement is technically untrue, the best kind of untruth. At worst Durban is just doing some sort of John Edward act.

Edited by Humanoid

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

It's a half-truth at best, but y'know how these curses are often gotchas in which the payoff happens in an unexpected but literally true way. Maybe Durban had given the speech so often that he forgot the original words and some sort of Chinese whispers thing happened. At any rate, the statement is technically untrue, the best kind of untruth. At worst Durban is just doing some sort of John Edward act.

Checking a dictionary for semantics, a battlefield is described as "a piece of ground on which a battle is or was fought". On a technicality, that means Hector died on the battlefield, albeit after the battle ended.

4 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Checking a dictionary for semantics, a battlefield is described as "a piece of ground on which a battle is or was fought". On a technicality, that means Hector died on the battlefield, albeit after the battle ended.

Did he though? From the dialogue I believe

they find him in the dungeon and he expires there, so unless they fought in the dungeon itself, it's not technically a battlefield.

Edited by Humanoid

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kantopia? So @Kirokan translated it? Thank them once again! Even if it was done back in 2014!

I really appreciate it... whenever anyone comes across a translation and remembers me. xD

I've really been wanting to comb through that book again, trying to gather up money for a second copy that I can de-spine and get high quality scans and re-translate it all. Back then it was all done super literal, and I'd love to give it a proper flowing translation!

But yes, the ages from that book were mostly in ranges rather than specific, but it's all there is that I know of!

Edited by Kirokan

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

alvis1 into alvis2

Eliwood isn't just "litlle sick" by FE6 proper though. His chapter 1 self is pathetically weak

I'm pretty sure the Tm Eliwood was meant to reflect his "strongest in Lycia" self since damn that stats is broken

I don't know if IS wanted to avoid their new units to be datamined, but they released the Valentine banner's trailer a few hours earlier than when the daily cycle repeats. Could be that we'll get a trailer earlier this time as well.

26 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Any guesses when the trailer for the next banner is coming out? I hope Say'ri is on it.

Sometimes we get early leaks. Sometimes we don't. While I hope we get the trailer a few hours earlier than the reset, I always assume it'll happen on time. 

I'm guessing it'll be Thracia! Though I won't be surprised if it's Awakening or more Elibe! But I hope it's Thracia...

27 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Any guesses when the trailer for the next banner is coming out? I hope Say'ri is on it.

I would say, about a few hours before the banner comes, at around 7 to 8 pm PT. I hope there is either an armor or a flier on the new banner. In all actuality, I want Nah to be on the banner, so she can powercreep Nowi in availability and stats.

54 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

An official announcement isn't the same as a "leak".

It's like people calling recipes food hacks. 

Anyway, the trailer should be out in about six hours, I believe. Expect Thracia, hope for Morgan. (Though it really is Leif's turn). 

I sort of expect a Thracia banner, but I'm down for pretty much anything.  I hope we get a trailer for it tonight.  I like having time to savor it before blowing all my Orbs.

Wooooo, got my first Armour Elite GHB quest done :D 

It was Navarre's map which I think is one of the easier ones, but I'm still happy. 

...And I used pretty much the best armours in the game to do it, but still... it's a win! 

The Christmas Robin, Hector Tudor, Zelgius and Frankenjakob really came through for me <3

Thought I'd take a shot at fliers, too, and my team worked! Took two attempts due to me forgetting I'd equipped Narcian with the QR seal, but it worked :D 

Team - Subaki, Palla, Narcian, Bunny Camilla. 

Edited by Cute Chao