• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

6 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

But thinking of Dark Flyers made me think of the dark flier class Caeda can get in TMS. This in turn, now makes me want a Harrier Caeda, even though it’s probably impossible.

I think they've made it pretty clear that they'll do whatever they please with units...Though I'd appreciate it if they kept that Harrier outfit well away from Caeda.

5 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I don't have a problem buying the other two games in form of a DLC, it's just a matter of time. I didn't finish my first run of Awakening in 5 months. 

Ah. I'm the opposite, actually, I tend to burn through a playthrough pretty quickly. Though come to think of it, I think I have a CQ one sitting around unfinished right now...

Edited by LordFrigid

The UI can be kind of iffy in some places, sorting inventory out is a particular hassle (but then it's not great even in the modern titles) and Sacred Stones had a horrible thing where you couldn't back out of a map, so if you accidentally clicked on the Tower of Training for example you either had to follow through or reset the console. Graphics-wise I didn't find it a big deal, but that's partially because I never play with animations on anyway so the tiny little sprites on GBA aren't really *that* much worse than the ones on 3DS.

I haven't played the Tellius games but from looking at videos I reckon the GBA graphics have aged better than those early 3D attempts. (And I've heard about the enemy phase hell in those games)

9 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

GBA FEs are quite adorable :/

Yes they are. I started with Lyns tutorial once, but I like my UI comfortable because I'm lazy

9 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Ah. I'm the opposite, actually, I tend to burn through a playthrough pretty quickly. Though come to think of it, I think I have a CQ one sitting around unfinished right now...

I try to do that, I played a lot in my Christmas holidays. But when I'm out of the game for a week or two, then it's hard for me to find in again. Perhaps I'll start Awakening from the beginning before finishing run #1. 

8 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The UI can be kind of iffy in some places, sorting inventory out is a particular hassle (but then it's not great even in the modern titles) and Sacred Stones had a horrible thing where you couldn't back out of a map, so if you accidentally clicked on the Tower of Training for example you either had to follow through or reset the console. Graphics-wise I didn't find it a big deal, but that's partially because I never play with animations on anyway so the tiny little sprites on GBA aren't really *that* much worse than the ones on 3DS.

The inventory is not perfect in Awakening either. 

A thing that I prefer in Heroes actually: Controlling only 4 units in every details is more fun than dragging 10 units over a big map, when you need only five of them. 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

A thing that I prefer in Heroes actually: Controlling only 4 units in every details is more fun than dragging 10 units over a big map, when you need only five of them. 

Yeah, I tend to prefer smaller squads too (again probably my XCOM background talking) but I cope okay with up to, say, a dozen, which is typical of most maps in most FE games. (Jagged Alliance 2 was flexible in your team size but I preferred taking smaller teams into firefights)

Echoes is weird in this regard. There are overworld fights (basically standard FE chapters) where you field your entire army at all times, and then the dungeons with a lot of random fights and you have to fight each of them with 10 units that you select at the start of the dungeon, and can only switch at save points.

Something I do like from both Fates and Echoes is the lack of weapon durability. Just tedious busywork that's somehow made its way into almost every mainline FE game.

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, I tend to prefer smaller squads too (again probably my XCOM background talking) but I cope okay with up to, say, a dozen, which is typical of most maps in most FE games. (Jagged Alliance 2 was flexible in your team size but I preferred taking smaller teams into firefights)

Echoes is weird in this regard. There are overworld fights (basically standard FE chapters) where you field your entire army at all times, and then the dungeons with a lot of random fights and you have to fight each of them with 10 units that you select at the start of the dungeon, and can only switch at save points.

Something I do like from both Fates and Echoes is the lack of weapon durability. Just tedious busywork that's somehow made its way into almost every mainline FE game.

Radiant Dawn spoiled me with regalia weapons being unbreakable XD. Anyway, I've found myself preferring smaller as well. It's not uncommon for me having this big ass army of 8 characters, all are decent ones in the game, but end up mostly using five at most XD

36 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I would love to see an Awakeing Banner with Gregor, Mariabelle, and Sumia, my favorites from awakening not in the game yet. I would love it if Sumia was a dark Flyer using a tome, but they’ll probably do a Lance flyer.

But thinking of Dark Flyers made me think of the dark flier class Caeda can get in TMS. This in turn, now makes me want a Harrier Caeda, even though it’s probably impossible.

I would like a Harrier Faye, please, I want Harriers in Heroes.

7 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I played the very first XCOM game on PC, which I liked a lot. Nothing beats it's atmosphere when those little basic aliens lurk around by night in random farm levels. 

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

You know you can deploy fewer units than you're allowed to, right? The only reason you'd be dragging around extra units is because you chose to deploy them.

Pair Up is actually really good for this reason - you can actually use more of your deployment slots, but you don't have to spend time each turn moving extra units around.

1 minute ago, Seafarer said:

You know you can deploy fewer units than you're allowed to, right? The only reason you'd be dragging around extra units is because you chose to deploy them.

Pair Up is actually really good for this reason - you can actually use more of your deployment slots, but you don't have to spend time each turn moving extra units around.

You can certainly choose to deploy fewer units, but it feels bad to make sub-optimal strategic decisions just because the optimal one is a hassle.

13 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Yup I know that. But is it possible (and reasonable) to solve all maps with just 4-5 units? I didn't finish Lyns tutorial, but already there the maps made you fight on several points simultaneously (i.e. where you recruit Dorcas). 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

Yup I know that. But is it possible (and reasonable) to solve all maps with just 4-5 units? I didn't finish Lyns tutorial, but already there the maps made you fight on several points simultaneously (i.e. where you recruit Dorcas). 

Eeeeh. It gets more difficult as time goes on and you have to use every unit that you deploy

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I’m also in progress of a Gaiden playthrough. Yep, the original one. It’s cute.

It looks glacially slow. But the spell animations do look good from an LP I saw. I liked the angel that appeared when using Seraphim.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

GBA FEs are quite adorable :/

Agreed. Visually they're a good in-between of outlandish and realistic leaning to the fantasy side. Sage, Monk, Hero, Pirate and Hawkeye!Berserker are all among my favorite class sprites.

2 hours ago, Poimagic said:

She doesn't have that choice in TMS, it is Wyvern Knight or Falcon Knight on promotion. Though she can always use Force, some Fire, Spirt, and healing magics. Aversa and Pheros exist as Dark Fliers though in that game.

And about SoV- read the translated Valentian Accordion details here on SF once you're finished with the game. The translation is a WIP, but even at this stage a lot of juicy information is coming to light!

@silveraura25 @Humanoid, I looked PM1’s guide (don’t know why I didn’t before asking), but I don’t have reposition fodder (my Xander has swap) so I’ll have to wait. 

On the other hand, I completed some chain challenges (only the last one left) and the newest squad assault...just to get a bunch of 4 stars (and even no Barst for reposition xd)

Well, it seems that I won’t get the 2 copies of B!Ike left from this banner xd

Edited by Javi Blizz

5 hours ago, Poimagic said:

I would love to see an Awakeing Banner with Gregor, Mariabelle, and Sumia, my favorites from awakening not in the game yet. I would love it if Sumia was a dark Flyer using a tome, but they’ll probably do a Lance flyer.

Omg I want my wife Sumia more than anything! I'm completely on board on her being a dark flyer too (one of my favorite classes in Fates), though the one issue is we already have female Morgan and eventually we'll get Aversa who will definitely be a tome flier. Assuming Goetia will be a red tome, I suppose it could work should Sumia be the green tome flier. I would welcome a green flier that doesn't make my Julia look like a speed demon in comparison (sorry Spring Camilla). It's too bad it'll likely be a while before we'll get anything purely Awakening focused, and it'll likely contain another god damn Lucina an alt I don't care about. 

6 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

@silveraura25 @Humanoid, I looked PM1’s guide (don’t know why I didn’t before asking), but I don’t have reposition fodder (my Xander has swap) so I’ll have to wait. 

On the other hand, I completed some chain challenges (only the last one left) and the newest squad assault...just to get a bunch of 4 stars (and even no Barst for reposition xd)

Well, it seems that I won’t get the 2 copies of B!Ike left from this banner xd

My Xander doesn't have reposition either, but Camus did and that was workable. It's only needed at the start to fling Titania forward so it's somewhat flexible on who has it.

8 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I didn't really like Fates' weapon system, since I don't feel it was balanced well.  There was no real reason to use Silver weapons, when forced Iron weapons were just as good, and didn't debuff your stats with every hit.

Echoes was a bit of a different animal, since weapons were more equipable items, rather than weapons in the more traditional FE sense.

12 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I didn't really like Fates' weapon system, since I don't feel it was balanced well.  There was no real reason to use Silver weapons, when forced Iron weapons were just as good, and didn't debuff your stats with every hit.

Echoes was a bit of a different animal, since weapons were more equipable items, rather than weapons in the more traditional FE sense.

Yeah, it still had plenty of flaws, but in the end I still prefer the somewhat silly method of just using super-forged Iron weapons than having to go back to a durability system. It's unfortunate that Silver was kinda useless, and Steel kinda marginal, but when all the weapons are available at the castle shop anyway, you end up spending the same amount of money anyway. It's "balanced" in that sense, where the net amount of money you spend is unchanged whether you buy one steel or two iron and glue them together for an Iron=1. It's not particularly interesting, yeah, but I dislike juggling disposable weapons more.

At least Awakening let you combine partially-used weapons I suppose. I don't know when that mechanic came in, but it was frustrating that the GBA games didn't have it.

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, it still had plenty of flaws, but in the end I still prefer the somewhat silly method of just using super-forged Iron weapons than having to go back to a durability system. It's unfortunate that Silver was kinda useless, and Steel kinda marginal, but when all the weapons are available at the castle shop anyway, you end up spending the same amount of money anyway. It's "balanced" in that sense, where the net amount of money you spend is unchanged whether you buy one steel or two iron and glue them together for an Iron=1. It's not particularly interesting, yeah, but I dislike juggling disposable weapons more.

At least Awakening let you combine partially-used weapons I suppose. I don't know when that mechanic came in, but it was frustrating that the GBA games didn't have it.

I loved Armsthrift in Awakening.  It was nice to use super-forged tomes forever.

Random observation I came across while testing out a potential Arena team: Crusader’s Ward has erroneous English text (or I’m misinterpreting something). I wouldn’t expect it to provide the 80% mitigation to the 2nd consecutive hit when Sigurd attacks a Blue Tome unit with Close Counter, and yet...

Spoiler

I’m not sure if that holds for other weapon types, but I imagine it does.

Edit: it holds for Bows. I don’t have a CC dagger unit.

Edited by LordFrigid

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

They should honestly just bring back the Con and Wgt system

1 minute ago, silveraura25 said:

They should honestly just bring back the Con and Wgt system

Con was stupid and designed to fuck over the female characters.

Wt was fine and only needed tweaking. What if instead of Str, half of your Str/Mag (whatever is relevant) was used as a buffer?

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Con was stupid and designed to fuck over the female characters.

Wt was fine and only needed tweaking. What if instead of Str, half of your Str/Mag (whatever is relevant) was used as a buffer?

They should rework it to be based on class

Edited by silveraura25

I don't like weapons that modify speed (including the weight system) because it's too much hassle to calculate and because speed is so binary. Much prefer skill/hit rate modifiers instead. Or just drop the tradeoff altogether and make the cost/rarity relevant. Not very "interesting" but then this kind of thing shouldn't be a gameplay focus anyway.