Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

If I were to hazard a guess (but I suppose spriters might know better), I'd bet on that it's because hats like Joshua and Spring!Seasonals bunny ears are treated separate from the character's hair (for animation/layering purposes). 

By contrast, Sakura's hairpain is...static? It never scales/morphs in terms of animation.

Hmm...you know that spite asset in the last datamine, a Legault with guide boxes overlayed?

That's probably a reference sheet for the accessories . Characters with spritelayers that already occupy such a slot/"guide box" can't equip an accessory there.

Edit: Looked again and I had the strikethrough stuff wrong (I shouldn't post w/o coffee) - the Legault sprite is more for scaling of the sprite it would seem (there's a number for the px on it). Still, there's probably some technical limitation as to why the slots are occupied.

(Overall it sounds similar to how a 3D model's prop bones have systems to get soft-locked, or "parented" to the prop so two props can't get parented to the same bone)

This seems to be the most likely answer.

Going by the spritesheets, Joshua's hat is separate from his head sprite while units like masked Marth have the mask as part of their head sprite instead of being an overlay, so she can actually equip a second mask, while Joshua can't put on a second hat.

Though I still wonder why Feh is considered a ribbon type accessory and not a hat.

Edited by Korath88

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

EDIT: A FOCUS FOR HEROES WITH LUNA OMG! THAT MEANS FREDDY! AW MAN, BUT SUMMER FREDDY RETURNS AROUND THAT TIME TOO. DARN IT, IS.

Chances are high he will be on that banner, good luck!

I'm hoping for Hinoka (Bow variant). Also horse Chrom would be cool, but he is unlikely since he got Luna only on the way to Aether. 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

Yeah, my bank account might be hurting at that point. ...Unless I have a job by that time. But I might not. I do hope I will, though. I don't even need a 5 star Freddy, I just need one that's +Def, -Res. But he'll have the highest possible appearance rate if he's on a banner too.

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

I'm hoping for Hinoka (Bow variant). Also horse Chrom would be cool, but he is unlikely since he got Luna only on the way to Aether. 

I really want Helpful Chrom on a non-shared colour banner... so I can hope, even if it is very unlikely xD

3 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

(Overall it sounds similar to how a 3D model's prop bones have systems to get soft-locked, or "parented" to the prop so two props can't get parented to the same bone)

1 hour ago, Korath88 said:

This seems to be the most likely answer.

Going by the spritesheets, Joshua's hat is separate from his head sprite while units like masked Marth have the mask as part of their head sprite instead of being an overlay, so she can actually equip a second mask, while Joshua can't put on a second hat.

Though I still wonder why Feh is considered a ribbon type accessory and not a hat.

I also checked a few other banners, and Gunnthra's hat and Azura's veil are also their own objects (though Azura's veil appears to not take up the "hat" position).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, games these days, even 2D ones, are pretty much all 3D on the back-end. Sprites are basically just a model consisting of a single rectangular poly (or two triangles) with the 2D sprite as a texture over it. The battle sprites in Heroes would basically behave similarly to the more complex models found in fully 3D games, but with much simpler pieces (one poly instead of a weighted portion of the mesh) bound to the skeleton.

(No idea if I have any of the terminology correct because I only dabbled in animation briefly many years ago.)

A calendar that includes two seasonal banners and no no new unit banner and in which the Tempest Trial and GHB units have already been revealed leaves me without excitement.

At least last year they had a new unit banner in between the summer seasonals. 

So anyone got advice for using a flier team on Narcian infernal? I have no idea how to do it when all those archers are there to seriously complicate it. -_- I should put the Iote's Shield seal on someone, but that still leaves the other three fliers open to die.

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I really want Helpful Chrom on a non-shared colour banner... so I can hope, even if it is very unlikely xD

Yeah, Aether- or Falchion banners would feature additional reds most likely. 

32 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

9 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Yeah, Aether- or Falchion banners would feature additional reds most likely. 

Helpful Chrom is actually in a very poor spot in terms of possible side banners he could be on.

Falchion is exclusive to reds. The only non-red character with Aether is Brave Lucina.

The only non-red characters in the summoning pool with Fury are Bartre, Jagen, and Myrrh, and Bartre and Jagen are highly unlikely to appear on a banner unless they seriously need filler space to specifically make the banner for Chrom.

The only other character in the summoning pool with a Chill skill is Dark Celica, who is also red.

His only chances are to have the two remaining limited-exclusive Chill skills added to the summoning pool on non-red characters or to wait for more Valor skills to be added to the summoning pool. I suppose Luna might work.

They could also do another "Cavalry" banner.

Edited by Ice Dragon

23 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Have you tried one of the f2p guides online?

No, but I probably don't have all those F2P units trained up for it. The only free fliers I use are Michalis and Gerome. And even now, I use Gerome a lot more.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I also checked a few other banners, and Gunnthra's hat and Azura's veil are also their own objects (though Azura's veil appears to not take up the "hat" position).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, games these days, even 2D ones, are pretty much all 3D on the back-end. Sprites are basically just a model consisting of a single rectangular poly (or two triangles) with the 2D sprite as a texture over it. The battle sprites in Heroes would basically behave similarly to the more complex models found in fully 3D games, but with much simpler pieces (one poly instead of a weighted portion of the mesh) bound to the skeleton.

(No idea if I have any of the terminology correct because I only dabbled in animation briefly many years ago.)

Hm true, it's interesting to note that FEH has a number of cocosd2x licences and a Poly2Tri license (among a plethora of others for obvious things like code, sound and fonts).

Visually, it's hard to tell on the surface if Feh has a rendered 3d plane with the sprites as textures on top (which would mean a form of opacity masking is used somewhere) or a scriptually scaled/rendered 2d texture in the Cocos2dx engine. The crash course on Cocos2dx engine's graphics covers pretty much what FEH would render (as far as I can tell).

Worth to mention is that, unless my memory completely fails me, the FEH sprites are .png files so there's no room for an opacity mask in an alpha channel like there is in a multi channelled texture format like dxt/dds. They could use an internal/propriety method of "cutting" out the 3d plane mesh though.

Oh don't mind my ramblings, I'm just waxing armchair hypotheticals for curiosity's sake and possibly outdated 3d stuff for that matter. Heh, like I feel like I'm back in school mucking around 3dsMax again talking about this stuff.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

So anyone got advice for using a flier team on Narcian infernal? I have no idea how to do it when all those archers are there to seriously complicate it. -_- I should put the Iote's Shield seal on someone, but that still leaves the other three fliers open to die.

Use the mountains to your advantage. Only Narcian can cross them from the enemy team; everyone else has to go the long way around. If you have a mage flier, full buffs plus a bladetome can one shot the first archer or you can use iotes shield if they need to survive a counter. Otherwise I suggest a sort of hit and run: kill the first archer (with a melee unit with hit and run or even drag back) and get them out of there. Once you get them to move you can just use the terrain to your advantage. Watch out for the two panic ploy units though, they're a pain if you're running buffs.

A lot depends on what kind of fliers you're working with. Who all do you have?

Edited by kirauza343

1 minute ago, kirauza343 said:

Use the mountains to your advantage. Only Narcian can cross them from the enemy team; everyone else has to go the long way around. If you have a mage flier, full buffs plus a bladetome can one shot the first archer or you can use iotes shield if they need to survive a counter. Otherwise I suggest a sort of hit and run: kill the first archer (with a melee unit with hit and run or even drag back) and get them out of there. Once you get them to move you can just use the terrain to your advantage. Watch out for the two panic ploy units though, they're a pain if you're running buffs.

Yeah, I was doing that and eventually found a way to wn!

I used Gerome, Michalis, Witch Nowi, and Clair. Gerome and Clair were vital because they could one-shot the horses. Michalis and Witch Nowi took care of the infantry archer and Narcian. Witch Nowi needed a speed boost to double Narcian, but I was able to get that for her. After Clair and Gerome deleted the horses, Clair was left to deal with infantry sword guy.

Yeah, those Ploys sucked.

Now I need ideas for an armor team vs Narcian infernal.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Now I need ideas for an armor team vs Narcian infernal.

Honestly that was the hardest of the infernal quests for me. A mage armor and/or armor march might help a lot (I know was stuck on it until I pulled V!Lyn who luckily filled both of those needs).

8 minutes ago, kirauza343 said:

Honestly that was the hardest of the infernal quests for me. A mage armor and/or armor march might help a lot (I know was stuck on it until I pulled V!Lyn who luckily filled both of those needs).

Yeah, I've got those (Halloween Henry is my only mage armor though, even though he fulfills both of those too), but still can't seem to figure out something...

I came dangerously close to having promoted my Kaze as I will do with any GHB unit. But now that he's available with natures I'm glad I held off.

I haven't gotten on these GHB quests yet. It's a good time to do so since I just bought another 50 barracks spaces and have the room for some GHB copies. I've also got a gross amount of Chain Challenge, Squad Assault and Blessed Gardens challenges to mop up. Would swimming in orbs hurt? Because I plan to be swimming in orbs for this summer's Seasonal-mageddon

13 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Might be a limitation for new members until they get to a certain post count.

The fabled mass injection of 3–4★ becoming more plausible? I’m keeping my hopes high.

Disgusting!

13 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Part of me wants to say "Who let the bot enter?" but I know it's best to ignore it

Doesn't look like anything to me

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I came dangerously close to having promoted my Kaze as I will do with any GHB unit. But now that he's available with natures I'm glad I held off.

I haven't gotten on these GHB quests yet. It's a good time to do so since I just bought another 50 barracks spaces and have the room for some GHB copies. I've also got a gross amount of Chain Challenge, Squad Assault and Blessed Gardens challenges to mop up. Would swimming in orbs hurt? Because I plan to be swimming in orbs for this summer's Seasonal-mageddon

Kaze wasnt a GHB though, but a Grande Conquest unit. I could see them push in the Tempest Trial and Grande Conquest units into the summoning pool, but i really really doubt they'll push in the GHB units. Maybe when Book 3 starts they'll push in the season 1 units into the summoning pool.

42 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Kaze wasnt a GHB though, but a Grande Conquest unit. I could see them push in the Tempest Trial and Grande Conquest units into the summoning pool, but i really really doubt they'll push in the GHB units. Maybe when Book 3 starts they'll push in the season 1 units into the summoning pool.

Mostly agree here. With the GHBs they’ve been consistent with rerunning the units, so there isn’t really a dire need of putting them into the summoning pool. Sure, IVs would be nice, particularly on someone like Clarisse who has an attack superboon, but I feel GHB units as a whole have more of a speciality to them compared to TT given the fact that many of the GHBs are antagonists with the exception of Robin, Navarre, Saias, and Kana for some reason. I already made my guesswork on who could land where for their rates for the TT units a few pages ago for anyone curious.