Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

43 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I've considered it for like a minute and then I remember it's basically cheating. I don't want to cheat.

Tbh all it's doing is saving time. It's not like I'm gaining any unfair advantage from getting SP (which has almost zero value compared to orbs or feathers and the like) faster than I normally do.

But go ahead and play as you like. If you're alright with not using it that's fine.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, KongDude said:

Tbh all it's doing is saving time. It's not like I'm gaining any unfair advantage from getting SP (which has almost zero value compared to orbs or feathers and the like) faster than I normally do.

But go ahead and play as you like. If you're alright with not using it that's fine.

It's the time invested, precisely. Normally, it'd take you a lot longer than 5 minutes to build it up.

This glitch is so fun to use. I finally finished some units that I have needed to finish for a long time, but that I never felt the need to do it. Lukas, Lilina, Jaffar, Eirika, Sakura, and I think one other were the units this glitch helped my to grind up. Oh, and Katarina as well

Edited by Poimagic

1 minute ago, Poimagic said:

This glitch is so fun to use. I finally finished some units that I have needed to finish for a long time, but that I never felt the need to do it. Lukas, Lilina, Jaffar, Eirika, Sakura, and I think on other were the units this glitch helped my to grind up. Oh, and Katarina as well

It feels good man lol

I should honestly be using it more but I've SPed up a good few

3 minutes ago, KongDude said:

It feels good man lol

I should honestly be using it more but I've SPed up a good few

I know, right?

Actually, I think I still have some units that I have need to grind up. A!Tiki, S!Leo, Y!Tiki, F!Corrin, and LA!Eliwood. If I get those 5 up, then I think I am done with grinding up

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

Maybe they actually have 3 variables?

A variable is simply somewhere to store a value for use later, so it's not really meaningful to talk about variables so much as number types. Interim values within a calculation, for example, aren't variables, but still behave according to the laws of the number type they've been defined to be.

For example, if you tell the computer to calculate 16 × 23 + 200 using only unsigned bytes as their values' types, you'll get

16 × 23 = 368, which due to overflow becomes 112.
112 + 200 = 312, which due to overflow becomes 56.

None of this requires the use of variables.

#2, is the SP multiplier that goes from 1-256.

A unit would have a multiplier variable and a base variable, and a map would have the 'off or on' variable for whether you gain SP at all. The (#2) unit multiplier variable won't be 0 unless they decide to introduce SP demerit skills, so they can safely use all 256 possible values to represent non-zero integers.

That makes multiplying slightly strange, though, since you can't just do a simple shift left to multiply by 2 anymore. 00000000 is 1 in this case, and shifting everything left one step does jack for you. 00000001 is 2, and 00000011 is 4, and 00000111 is 8.

Hmm... maybe that's it, rather than a shift left to multiply by two they shift left and then add 1 to the end.

Nobody programs like this anymore.

Computers are better at optimizing the machine code that gets generated from a programmer's written code that there's no point in trying to do something like this. Memory is so cheap nowadays that there's no real point in using any integer type smaller than a 32-bit integer.

Back a few decades ago when memory was expensive and programmers optimized their own storage types and code, this could be plausible. But not today.

#3, is a single bit that's either 0 or 1 depending on whether you gain sp or not for the map 

That type is called a "Boolean", and because modern computers are designed to work on bytes as the smallest logical block of data and not individual bits, they still take up a full byte of space.

How do you even manage to multiply fractions while using unsigned bytes?

You don't. You either do fancy math (multiply by 3 and divide by 2) or you convert the numbers to a format the supports decimals, do the math, then convert back.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You don't. You either do fancy math (multiply by 3 and divide by 2) or you convert the numbers to a format the supports decimals, do the math, then convert back.

That's why I was confused.

Why would they overflow around 256 if they have a format that supports decimals?

They shouldn't be getting any errors if they're doing something modern, so I assumed archaic.

(The multiply by 3 and divide by 2 might explain the 4SP and 1SP we get after the overflow, though. 4.5 and 1.5 rounds down to 4 and 1. And 4.5 is 3x the 1.5 staff SP base.)

40 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Why would they overflow around 256 if they have a format that supports decimals?

This is why I'm so confused.

Presumably, they have one of the following:

1. Some code that specifically checks if the number is too high and modifies it to be lower. (More likely.)
  2. They're using something lower-level (like C++) that actually requires manual allocation of memory. (Less likely.)

Or their developers all learned how to program three decades ago and never got with the times. (Least likely.)

I'm just so confused as to why the overflow causes the value to go to 4 SP, then bounces around between 1 SP and 0 SP. I mean, the 4.5 SP and 1.5 SP things are what I thought of immediately (i.e. multipliers of 3, 1, and 0, which is the biggest reason why I made the guess that 1.5 SP was the global base instead of 3 SP), but I have no way to explain why it does this particular thing in particular.

And the reason you don't use a type that supports decimals is because it's more performance-intensive ("slower"). Therefore, you use integers whenever you can.

12 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Finally finished promoting all GHB units to five star. Now I can experience maximum heartbreak when they start adding GHB units into the normal summoning pool with access to natures.

My only hold out promotion was Julius. He was one of many red tome projects I held back for my shot at red tome valor, but that has come and gone. I realize this day of all days makes me look like such a fool for worrying about SP, but that's how the cards fell.

Cool, congratulations. Which one of them do you use most (and probably have some merges on)? 

I forgot Shield Pulse is exclusive to Infantry and Armor units. RIP my idea of making S!Linde a Miracle quad debuffer with WoM companions. I'll give the idea another shot one of these days using someone like Saizo or Flora, please release Flora IS. Saber lives another day.

24 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I forgot Shield Pulse is exclusive to Infantry and Armor units. RIP my idea of making S!Linde a Miracle quad debuffer with WoM companions. I'll give the idea another shot one of these days using someone like Saizo or Flora, please release Flora IS. Saber lives another day.

Shield Pulse is also exclusive to melee weapon users because ranged weapon users can't learn the Buckler and Holy Vestments skill trees, only Miracle.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Shield Pulse is also exclusive to melee weapon users because ranged weapon users can't learn the Buckler and Holy Vestments skill trees, only Miracle.

The skill isn't even that good to begin with. What's with the need of giving it so many restrictions? At least allow it for Dagger users, that would give them a niche instead of being worse archers like 80% of the time.

17 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

The skill isn't even that good to begin with. What's with the need of giving it so many restrictions? At least allow it for Dagger users, that would give them a niche instead of being worse archers like 80% of the time.

I guess they don't want to make melee completely inferior to ranged.

10 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

The fact that ranged units can't use the Buckler and Holy Vestments lines in the first place, which is likely what the skill was intended to be used for. The fact that it works for Miracle was probably an afterthought of "oh, right, that skill exists".

It's also a really good skill, but literally only has two units worth using it on:

1. Fjorm because Ice Mirror is stupidly good for a dedicated ranged counter.
  2. Raven because he has so much Atk and Spd that he can actually afford to run (Basilikos [unique], Pavise, Life and Death 3, Shield Pulse 3) and not care about not having an offensive Special.

4 hours ago, Junkhead said:

When people who never used Charlotte say she has "geat Spd" and "bulk"

Mine has 0 in all stats because I still don't have her, fuck.

I wonder what unholy "rerun when" hell a seasonal that's already had it's second year and legendary banner reruns is in. Doesn't seem like they'll cycle them back through the legendaries this year, and next June I assume they'd just run the previous year's banner, not every old one.

It's kind of cute that in Camilla's tap battle her summer-clad siblings fight along side her. Like how Ryoma's siblings fought alongside him.

11 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Mine has 0 in all stats because I still don't have her, fuck.

Mine has 1,000 in her “feathers given” stat, but I should have kept her a little longer until that stat reached 6,000. Oh well.

None of my units need SP, why couldn't this exploit arrive a little earlier. 

Leveled flying Tiki on Berkut hard from level 12. At level ~33 she could kill all five opponents for 5x 768 SP. 

Edited by mampfoid

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Cool, congratulations. Which one of them do you use most (and probably have some merges on)? 

Arvis is a great psuedo healer for TT runs. He either gives up ten health or takes fury recoil from attacking. Either way he's getting the health back each turn. 

Other than that, Xander and Ursula are probably my most used GHB units overall. As a F2P we really used horse teams as a crutch throughout 2017. No merges on anybody. I just like having as many units as possible at five star and the GHB units are ones I don't have to wait for an optimal nature.

16 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

My first 5* promotion at all was Michalis, I still use him on Fire blessing team #3 in AA. 

I think Mike was my second promotion or so. What an amazing can opener.

HM farming certainly does change the mindset almost instantly. Used to to ponder my feather expenditure super carefully and merge once, maybe twice a month. Now I'm all impatient and like "whaddya mean I can only merge one unit today and have to wait overnight for the next one?" Tempted to set up my spare old PC so I can do it without interfering with my day to day gaming.

I think my first promotion would've been Kagero or Tharja. Alongside my original Nowi (pulled as 5*) and Olivia, they formed my team for the first TT. Xander probably in there somewhere too.

I don't tend to promote a lot of GHB units though. The only ones who see regular use are Xander, Camus and Michalis. Lyon as an AA counter. F Robin, Arvis, Kana and Linus are also promoted but are used basically never.