Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Flashing Blade was made during the era of "cavalry and fliers are too powerful", whereas Heavy Blade was made during the era of "we still don't know how to balance this game".

Cavalry aren't too powerful. They're slowed down by a lot of terrain and have lower BST. The only thing they have going for them these days is movement. I'd say these days, fliers and dragons are what's too powerful.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Cavalry isn't too powerful. They're slowed down by a lot of terrain and have lower BST. The only thing they have going for them these days is movement. I'd say these days, fliers and dragons are what's too powerful.

Flashing Blade was added in November 2017. Trenches were added in January 2018. Today is July 2018.

The status of the meta today is not relevant to the status of the meta when Flashing Blade was implemented.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Flashing Blade was added in November 2017. Trenches were added in January 2018. Today is July 2018.

The status of the meta today is not relevant to the status of the meta when Flashing Blade was implemented.

They can still change Flashing Blade to be able to be used by cavalry or whatever.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

They can still change Flashing Blade to be able to be used by cavalry or whatever.

Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

They have changed the effects of zero weapon, assist, and passive skills since launch, choosing instead to replace them with better skills if they were underpowered. The only skills to have changed at all since launch were the Night Sky and Daylight skill trees and AoE Special skills, and the only change that was made to them was to reduce their cooldown by 1. I don't expect them to change the inheritance restrictions on skills anytime in the foreseeable future.

And I think they're still leery of how strong flying and cavalry tome users are, considering we got Dull Ranged weapons in February, the Dull Ranged skill itself in March, and the Lysol weapon tree last month.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

They have changed the effects of zero weapon, assist, and passive skills since launch, choosing instead to replace them with better skills if they were underpowered. The only skills to have changed at all since launch were the Night Sky and Daylight skill trees and AoE Special skills, and the only change that was made to them was to reduce their cooldown by 1. I don't expect them to change the inheritance restrictions on skills anytime in the foreseeable future.

And I think they're still leery of how strong flying and cavalry tome users are, considering we got Dull Ranged weapons in February, the Dull Ranged skill itself in March, and the Lysol weapon tree last month.

Well, I'm personally getting rather tired of how many skills lately are being restricted to only infantry or melee infantry and armors. I tend to use horses more than anything and I don't like that they're just getting weaker.

Some people like infantry, some like horses, some like fliers, some like armors, some like mixed. So why should one or more groups here just suffer while the others get a lot of favoritism? Armors and fliers have gotten a LOT lately in terms of banners while infantry get so many skills others can't use. Horses keep getting the biggest shaft of them all imo. And I haven't even mentioned the lack of red tome horses and axe horses in the permanent pool.

Btw, I like fliers too, so I'm not biased against them.

Edited by Anacybele

11 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I wonder if Azama’s Pain staff is a reference to the infamous hexing rod he tends to carry (and use the hell out of!) in Conquest.

I have a Classic Lunatic run stopped at Hinoka the chapter, he has two Hexing Rods (why not just go with Staff Savant?). The beginning of the ending stat crippling obnoxiousness, oh well, whenever I get to it, I've like five fliers who can kill him, plus a VP Hexing Rod of mine own hehe (without the rewards, Lunatic was simply too much for me). And if they ever get to adding personal Staffs via refine, make his a Hexing for sure.

14 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Personally, I'd prefer for Mark to not exist. But I assume that's not a popular opinion.

If you skip Lyn Mode, I believe they don't exist. Nor does Afa's Drops or the Tactician's Affinity Hit/Avoid/Crit Evade bonus.

Mark and Lyn Mode were clearly aping IS's other series, Advance Wars (which is now sadly dead, maybe romancing Sami is what is needed to revive it, so be it if it must come to that). FE6 released on 29th March, 2002, FE7 on 25th April, 2003, AW1 came out in the US on September 10th, 2001 (...not the best of dates it turned tragically out to be, which might be why the Japanese standalone version was scrapped).

AW1 has a aesthetic as child friendly, colorful, and cartoony as FE6, with a matching dissonantly high difficulty and unbalanced gameplay. Perhaps is coincidental though, the same cannot be said of the similarities between AW and FE7 though I would think.

FE7's difficulty and balance, like AW2's is less severe and more evened out, and so too does the aesthetic move away from its super-kiddy nature to a somewhat more realistic one. FE7's Lyn Mode and Mark directly parallel the long set of tutorial battles where you are self-inserted as an Advisor being trained by Nell apart from the main story. No Advisor, nor story segregated Tutorial are found in any other AW. The Advisor appears and is frequently mentioned in the main campaign, but ultimately does nothing but help the stupid Max and utterly brainless Andy. The triple lordlings, a balanced boy, a power heavy man, and a more lithe female, is the same as Andy, Max, and Sami.

...Where was I going with this? I'm not sure actually. Maybe it was to make the point FE's first attempt at an avatar was not rooted in the same spirit that would drive the creation of Kris-Robin-Corrin whatsoever?

I will say I agree Robin Mark not existing at all is absolutely fine by me. Lyn Mode as long as it's optional is fine, just buff Lyn's crummy bases more than they are if LM is skipped, and the same for the rest of the LM crew barring like Dorcas.

P.S. If we must get a non-FE crossover, make it AW and give me a Green Earth banner, you can leave out Javier BTW.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I'm personally getting rather tired of how many skills lately are being restricted to only infantry or melee infantry and armors. I tend to use horses more than anything and I don't like that they're just getting weaker.

Some people like infantry, some like horses, some like fliers, some like armors, some like mixed. So why should one or more groups here just suffer while the others get a lot of favoritism? Armors and fliers have gotten a LOT lately in terms of banners while infantry get so many skills others can't use. Horses keep getting the biggest shaft of them all imo. And I haven't even mentioned the lack of red tome horses and axe horses in the permanent pool.

Armors have gotten one new unit in the past five months. They were added really fast for a while, but now they're back to being rare.

Currently, there are 11 cavalry mages (7 in the general summoning pool), 9 mage fliers (2 in the general summoning pool), and 3 mage armors (0 in the general summoning pool). There are only 8 armors in the general pool at all: 2 sword, 3 lance, and 3 axe. Right now, there are 3 axe cavalry in the general pool, and counting Walhart, 6 in total. The most armors of any one weapon type in the permanent pool is 3, and the only weapon type with more than 6 armors total is axes, at 7. Also, until Olivia's addition, there were only 3 sword fliers in the general pool and 5 sword fliers total.

I do think armors and fliers have surpassed cavalry in power, but not in unit type options.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

As someone who's been using cavalry primarily for as long as I can remember (even before SI), I don't necessarily feel that cavalry are getting weaker, but that other types are being brought up to compensate. The skills that fliers, armors, and infantry need to really shine are largely 5* exclusive. True enough that they're getting more attention, but cavalry are still much easier to assemble for maximum effectiveness. It's also easy enough to get anti-armor and anti-flier weaponry, which really shuts them down (pretty much once Bold Fighter was added, my Frederick took his hammer back up).

New skills shouldn't be seen as a straight up increase in power (excepting maybe new unique weapons), but an increase in options. Not much new for cavalry, but the options they began with are so consistently good that they don't often need replacing.

My Reinhardt doesn't care if cavalry have gotten weaker or not. He still destroys shit like there's no tomorrow.

Same goes for my other Reinhardt, both my Olwens, my mage Eirika, Exalt Chrom, and Ares.

Am I the only one feeling like this game desperately needs more challenges?  I was thinking about the changes to arena and how it pushes you to use less of the characters you have invested in and use random ones.  Will we ever get a consistent mode (so not a one-off BHB, LHB, or GHB) that challenges you to make the best team possible and use it to play that mode?  A mode where the highest levels would be difficult if you hadn't invested in a really, really good team?  There can be lower level difficulties for newer players.  I guess maybe FEH wasn't made to be that type of game, but it'd be nice to throw a bone to the players who have invested heavily in a few units.  At the moment, there is no reason I need to pull out my +10 Oscar, Soren, or Titania- I can clear everything without needing them.  Sure, they make things easier, but when I could have done it with a 4*+10 Nino...

In my head, arena should be that mode, but top arena forces you to use certain types of units and non-synergistic skills to reach the highest level, and they're going to force us to not use our favorite teams to beat it (focus on bonus units).

In summary... can the next new mode be an actual challenge?  Kind of like Grand Conquest started as before it was made much easier?  Or I might just be a minority...

10 minutes ago, Venmi said:

Am I the only one feeling like this game desperately needs more challenges?  I was thinking about the changes to arena and how it pushes you to use less of the characters you have invested in and use random ones.  Will we ever get a consistent mode (so not a one-off BHB, LHB, or GHB) that challenges you to make the best team possible and use it to play that mode?  A mode where the highest levels would be difficult if you hadn't invested in a really, really good team?  There can be lower level difficulties for newer players.  I guess maybe FEH wasn't made to be that type of game, but it'd be nice to throw a bone to the players who have invested heavily in a few units.  At the moment, there is no reason I need to pull out my +10 Oscar, Soren, or Titania- I can clear everything without needing them.  Sure, they make things easier, but when I could have done it with a 4*+10 Nino...

In my head, arena should be that mode, but top arena forces you to use certain types of units and non-synergistic skills to reach the highest level, and they're going to force us to not use our favorite teams to beat it (focus on bonus units).

In summary... can the next new mode be an actual challenge?  Kind of like Grand Conquest started as before it was made much easier?  Or I might just be a minority...

You're not the only one. When it comes to arena, I almost feel like the game punishes me for not investing into armors and dragons earlier when it comes to arena, if anything. It's probably completely not true, but it's annoying that none of my favorite characters can really get me into the higher arena tiers unless they're highly merged, have certain premium skills or reach a certain BST threshold. I initially thought arena was gonna be that mode where you see wacky, awesome team comps and units, but all I've seen is B!Lyn, Reinhardt, Zelgius, W!Tharja and some dancer so much that I barely even bother with arena anymore.

Now all I've got is the F!Robin GHB to struggle with because it's the only thing I haven't cleared in the game yet. Damn cavalry quest keeps stumping me.

But, I do have some hope IS will add in new modes and/or tweak current modes in the future. If there's anything about FEH I can say, it's that they're been relatively receptive and flexible when it comes to updates, changes, etc.

i hope

4 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Bleeeeeeeh... I just spent 2 days typing my latest update to the How many 5* Heroes thread... 

[...]

Xenomata realized he's investing a lot of effort into a story no one's gonna read (well, a lot here meaning more effort than needed in the first place

Lol, you found the guy more bored than you. (Didn't read everything yet though, it's getting late). 

I share your suffering pulling ranged seasonals. 

Edited by mampfoid

I've been debating for eons whether I should go for a Slaying Axe or Brave Axe set but in the end smashing Effies/Hardins/Hectors in AA is more important: 

V6DlxNU.jpg

Now I just need enough refinement stones and SP to give her the +Def refine. Her terribad Res says that she'll die if she tries to touch M!Grima so I'll keep her away from that.

Any ideas for Libra? Mine is +Res/-Def.

Been trying out offensive versions, since I've been using a lot of defensive characters, lately. My ideal Libra is a mix of both.

Screenshot_2018-07-24-22-29-34.png

Above is using Spd + Res buffs to make the most of Glacies. Darting Blow is arguably the only other offensive/Spd boost I got next to L&D (which kills his bulk a lot). It also helps him Ploy people down a lot.

Below is L&D fed with Atk Tactic and Luna.

Using Flashing Blade for both.

@Rezzy

Edited by Junkhead

18 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Any ideas for Libra? Mine is +Res/-Def.

Been trying out offensive versions, since I've been using a lot of defensive characters, lately. My ideal Libra is a mix of both.

Screenshot_2018-07-24-22-29-34.png

Above is using Spd + Res buffs to make the most of Glacies. Darting Blow is arguably the only other offensive/Spd boost I got next to L&D (which kills his bulk a lot). It also helps him Ploy people down a lot.

Below is L&D fed with Atk Tactic and Luna.

Using Flashing Blade for both.

@Rezzy

One thing you could try is Reciprical Aid as an assist skill to get into Desperation range more easily, since his HP is too high for Ardent Sacrifice.  Another alternative is Fury, if you have fodder.  An alternative would be Moonbow, for a quick activation without depending on a counter attack or multiple rounds of combat.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

An alternative would be Moonbow, for a quick activation without depending on a counter attack or multiple rounds of combat.

You don't kill Reds with that. >:x

when people actually make a real Defense Ayra:

Screenshot_2018-07-24-23-27-57.png

Edited by Junkhead

@saisymbolic I agree!  It's so frustrating that to place well in arena is to give Oscar and Soren sub-optimal skills, rather than making them the best they can be.  Arena should reward the best builds for fighting, not the ones that have the highest SP.  We need more modes that are challenging, not easy.  The tactical challenges are a good start, but annoying we can't use the characters we've invested so much in.

@Junkhead Yay Libra. :3 I ended up going with Fury for my A skill since I feel like he's the type of character that benefits from all the extra stats and can run pretty good mixed phase builds. Since he's so similar to Spring Chrom, I could recommend a really neat build I saw in the Arena once. Someone SPD stacked a +10 Spring Chrom and gave him DC+Wrath. He turned out to be pretty tricky to kill between the Drive support and defensive tiles. 

I went with Fury and Luna for now since I'm boring but there are so many builds I want to try on him if I get the proper fodder.... 

33 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

@Junkhead Yay Libra. :3 I ended up going with Fury for my A skill since I feel like he's the type of character that benefits from all the extra stats and can run pretty good mixed phase builds. Since he's so similar to Spring Chrom, I could recommend a really neat build I saw in the Arena once. Someone SPD stacked a +10 Spring Chrom and gave him DC+Wrath. He turned out to be pretty tricky to kill between the Drive support and defensive tiles. 

I went with Fury and Luna for now since I'm boring but there are so many builds I want to try on him if I get the proper fodder....

Trust me, Fury was my first option. Didn't have it, so apparently sacking a Hana for 20k feathers was "optimal" (hint it wasn't). I'm just winging it, here. Results are somewhat mixed, but he can do a thing here and here...punched a whole on that Tiki & Ayra, but it takes either a really strong special or at least Luna+Wo Gún. I really like him with the shovel because it's cute (+4 Atk doesn't hurt either, I guess).