• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

Just now, Humanoid said:

Free is good, but I don't recall ever thinking that *not* giving the players the middle finger was a particular concern for IS. :P

They stopped making 6-character banners after the first two.

I don't actually recall them giving players the middle finger like ever. Can you give examples of actual middle fingers?

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's already pushing out slots that are normally used for existing characters, and putting two banners' worth of characters in one Arena bonus set is a literal middle finger to players who aren't pulling from the two banners.

Intsys not giving a finger to players who aren’t pulling from their banner isn’t a new thing. Remember when daily hero battle heroes used to be on the rotation?

My Cecilia remembers.

9 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Brunos cameo was mostly confusing but did nothing to the story (other than him taking Veronica back to Embla?). 

Bruno did nothing to the story, full stop. The Nifl siblings did nothing to the story, full stop. The MĂşspell sisters did nothing to the story. Freaking Xander did nothing to the story.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Intsys not giving a finger to players who aren’t pulling from their banner isn’t a new thing. Remember when daily hero battle heroes used to be on the rotation?

My Cecilia remembers.

And I think that was a good thing that they stopped putting those characters on a predictable rotation. There's no need to keep babying players who decided to get away with just using the free rotation to get their bonus characters, and it stifles the rate that they can get around to letting other units have a chance at being a bonus character.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And I think that was a good thing that they stopped putting those characters on a predictable rotation.

Of course the biggest spender on the forum would praise it, what else did I expect. Would you also welcome removing GHB heroes and the Askr quartet, too?

Edited by Vaximillian

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

They stopped making 6-character banners after the first two.

I don't actually recall them giving players the middle finger like ever. Can you give examples of actual middle fingers?

Relay defense. Arena bonus points. Ayra. First introduction of Slaying weapons. On the fence with Hero Fest 1.

Obviously everyone's thresholds are different, but these are among the more negatively received changes I remember. Some are arguable of course, but I don't see how they're any less definitively a middle finger than having two banners worth of units represented in the same arena bonus fortnight. Especially since Fjorm is one of the bonus units.

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Bruno did nothing to the story, full stop. The Nifl siblings did nothing to the story, full stop. The MĂşspell sisters did nothing to the story. Freaking Xander did nothing to the story.

Characters who died get a honorable mention as story contributors in my opinion. No idea if Hellbindi falls under this category? 

Veronica and Bruno talking about Xanders well being did give me a short laugh at least (imagining Xanders latest incarnation). Veronica and Ylgr are my new dream team. 

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Characters who died get a honorable mention as story contributors in my opinion. No idea if Hellbindi falls under this category? 

Oh, if dying is a contribution, then Fjorm’s mum is the main character of Book II.

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

You mean Gunnthrá, Ice-Mom died before. 

If I meant Gunnthrá, I would have said Gunnthrá.
I mean exactly whom I mentioned.

Edited by Vaximillian

So, is Fjorm going to die before the start of book 3? Even if Hrid says she doesn't "have much time left", that could mean "until the game ends" in terms of IS logic. Will Fjorm still exist in the story when book 3 starts, or will she conveniently disappear from the story (but not our rosters, of course) because she died so that IS can pave the way for more NPCs we won't give a shit about?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Of course you’d praise it, what else did I expect. Would you also welcome removing GHB heroes and the Askr quartet, too?

The Askr trio I feel should always stay in the rotation. Removing them is heresy.

I don't care if Fjorm stays or goes. I don't think they'll ever remove Grand Hero Battle characters, but I would also consider that a bad move considering they're typically treated as extensions of a banner these days.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

Relay defense. Arena bonus points. Ayra. First introduction of Slaying weapons. On the fence with Hero Fest 1.

Relay defense can be cleared with F2P or nearly-F2P guides.

Arena bonus points are a means of shaking up the Arena meta. I think they felt it was too common and against the spirit of the bonus Hero system that many players simply stuck with a 3-unit core and left the bonus unit on the back lines to do nothing but watch. It's a bit too early for me to make a definitive decision on if the new system is a good way to fix that issue, but it's definitely not a middle finger.

Ayra was fine. People might not have liked the implementation, but I consider it to be a mistake on the PR side and not an attempt to be a dick to players. They at least learned their lesson when they added Rhajat.

Slaying weapons were fine. Killer weapons at the time were entirely obsolete so making new Killer weapons that didn't suck was just better for the game.

I think Hero Fest 1 was just them forgetting that people outside of Japan exist.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Relay defense can be cleared with F2P or nearly-F2P guides.

Arena bonus points are a means of shaking up the Arena meta. I think they felt it was too common and against the spirit of the bonus Hero system that many players simply stuck with a 3-unit core and left the bonus unit on the back lines to do nothing but watch. It's a bit too early for me to make a definitive decision on if the new system is a good way to fix that issue, but it's definitely not a middle finger.

Ayra was fine. People might not have liked the implementation, but I consider it to be a mistake on the PR side and not an attempt to be a dick to players. They at least learned their lesson when they added Rhajat.

Slaying weapons were fine. Killer weapons at the time were entirely obsolete so making new Killer weapons that didn't suck was just better for the game.

I think Hero Fest 1 was just them forgetting that people outside of Japan exist.

I have no problem with thinking those are fine. I simply think that the act of having seven out of ten bonus units for an upcoming season being from current banners is a lot more mundane than some, if not all the controversies listed, especially when the remaining three units are all free. It'd be interesting to hear why this is somehow beyond the pale.

28 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Never forget the horrid Allies menu changes.

Never forget the old castle screen WITHOUT those big ol' banners announcing what us Feh-terans have known for... at least a year and a half.

Maybe not intentional middle-fingers, but more like "I tried to do you good, but my hand cramped into the shape of a middle finger".

I cant believe I'm saying this, but relay defense has grown on me. It's easily doable by watching what stall tactics are used in video clears. One tactic that I used was savage blow that caused Maribelle to block her allies with her ass. Healers have a priority to heal over attacking so her being right next to the fort was a not so good thing for the enemy team. Because it's a clusterfuck no one can really move anywhere and if you have someone bulky to block the space below the fort you're good. I think I'll post a clear for it today if anyone would like to know what I used

Might as well give some thoughts on the current chapter since I enjoyed myself last time. 

Spoiler

-Yup. Knew it. Death was bound to happen. I told my friend that if Helbindi died, I would throw all of my CYL 3 votes at him. That's actually what I'm doing. I mean...even if he's technically not dead, I'll still do it. They had to kill the guy who had potential for any sort of character growth... Our Camus remained a Camus of course. Her sister...we'll see. I'm not a fan of characters who generally don't know how to feel. I think it's a difficult trope to write well... It makes me wonder why Laegyarn can feel but Laevatein can't. 

-I don't like Ylgr. Why couldn't Veronica have accidentally pushed her into the lava? But on the other hand, I appreciate unamused Veronica.

-BRUNO APPEARED. Xander would've been nice though. Totally unnecessary, but it's the final chapter, so everyone has to make an appearance. Surprised we didn't get a Gunnthra ghosty-goo to round things off.

-The final fight was as anti-climatic as I thought it'd be. I think the writers gave up on Fjorm towards the end. I found Veronica's banter with Surtr more interesting than Fjorm's. I know Fjorm's already dying, but killing her off would be a mercy at this point. However if I know people, I bet the next book will at least have a mini-arc looking for some magic to save her.

-At least Surtr's gone. I'm ready for Book III with Loki's new master who's twice as ugly and four times as powerful. 

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I have no problem with thinking those are fine. I simply think that the act of having seven out of ten bonus units for an upcoming season being from current banners is a lot more mundane than some, if not all the controversies listed, especially when the remaining three units are all free. It'd be interesting to hear why this is somehow beyond the pale.

Throwing up a middle finger can be very mundane.

It's frustrating not having a bonus Hero for the Arena already competently built and even more so now that you need to get kills with them to gain bonus points. It's not the kind of thing that spurs screaming outrage (much of which I personally find to be petty), but it's an intentionally introduced frustration that I don't think the player base should be required to deal with.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Never forget the horrid Allies menu changes.

Never forget the old castle screen WITHOUT those big ol' banners announcing what us Feh-terans have known for... at least a year and a half.

Maybe not intentional middle-fingers, but more like "I tried to do you good, but my hand cramped into the shape of a middle finger".

Those aren't middle fingers. Those are incompetent UI designers simply being wholly incompetent. Actually, the entire menu UI in Heroes is just really bad as a whole.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Those aren't middle fingers. Those are incompetent UI designers simply being wholly incompetent. Actually, the entire menu UI in Heroes is just really bad as a whole.

Well if there are 2 things Heroes is bad at it's the story and the UI design. Well, just the ally menus, but how difficult is to design a UI menu for that?

Edited by Garlyle

18 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Well if there are 2 things Heroes is bad at it's the story and the UI design. Well, just the ally menus, but how difficult is to design a UI menu for that?

Not difficult if you aren't incompetent. But I'm pretty damned sure the menu UI designers for Heroes are incompetent.

The next arena season is Fjorm's turn. Everyone should have built Fjorm, so having both New Heroes banners on the season would actually make it more convenient since you don't need to pull on them.

26 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Everyone should have built Fjorm, 

I never did. No real motivation to do so since I have no attachment to the character. I could say the same for all the Múspell people. I felt nothing when they died. 

27 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

He fucking deserve a better game

Lol, you serious? He did nothing over the whole half-book. He had nothing going for him except for being ugly and not a girl which is somehow a plus.