Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

Honestly, after all the obnoxious fawning over the Summoner, Nina threatening to kill me is a nice change of pace.

Of course, Silas just had to ruin things right afterwards.

Edited by Othin

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

18 minutes ago, Othin said:

Honestly, after all the obnoxious fawning over the Summoner, Nina threatening to kill me is a nice change of pace.

Of course, Silas just had to ruin things right afterwards.

Ok, now i'm tempted to see more of Nina's. 

Also, for some obnoxious reason i haven't won a single point for Ophelia yet. And i really want those hairpins!

6 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Ok, now i'm tempted to see more of Nina's. 

Also, for some obnoxious reason i haven't won a single point for Ophelia yet. And i really want those hairpins!

That was her first conversation. I've gotten to her later ones now, and I'm less enthusiastic.

Nina's convo was weird but I suppose that was to be expected.

The others honestly just bored me. I haven't gotten their S convos yet, but even if it's ok, 1/4 doesn't quite cut it.

I preferred the CYL one that actually developed or explained the characters with them talking more about themselves rather than praising the summoner

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm surprised no one's giving Canas the glasses. He's the one that reads a lot. XD

Well, he does already have the monocle. I’d imagine wearing through two different glasses would feel kinda wonky. 

2 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Well, he does already have the monocle. I’d imagine wearing through two different glasses would feel kinda wonky. 

Hasn't stopped people from giving Micaiah two birds. lol

And imo, wearing a bird on your head is even weirder. XD

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I’d imagine people would be doing the same with Miriel and/or Yukimura with Nina’s glasses if either of those two were in the game.

By Naga do I want Miriel and Yukimura in the game. The former because she’s Awakening’s best girl, the latter because he’s cool and maybe can be a legit dagger cav.

As I noted in a previous topic, I really would've liked for Genealogy to have a forging bonds event. But I've also noticed that the three forging bonds events we've had were all associated with a 4-person banner. For now, I think it's safe to assume only 4-person banners will have those.

On another note, this forging bonds is reminding me how much I hate Ophelia and Nina. Fuck.

22 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

As I noted in a previous topic, I really would've liked for Genealogy to have a forging bonds event. But I've also noticed that the three forging bonds events we've had were all associated with a 4-person banner. For now, I think it's safe to assume only 4-person banners will have those.

On another note, this forging bonds is reminding me how much I hate Ophelia and Nina. Fuck.

It's weird, as someone who's only exposure to Ophelia is this event but likes Owain in Awakening her way of treating things don't is as nice to see as Owain's. 

Maybe it's because i felt that in his supports, besides doing it for the drama, he's also genuinely worried about something or someone and often uses his absurd way to talking to help out that person in a not obvious way. He's a great son to Lissa. And i have seen some of that in Heroes version of Odin.

I hope i don't dislike the way these characters are shown in Fates when i start playing it.

Edited by RexBolt

Figures that many here seem to dislike this forging bonds event. I love Ophelia's goofy persona and how shameless Nina can be, so this is my favorite one yet. The CYL event's dialogue was pretty boring besides Celica's comments on events from Echoes. Even Veronica's managed to be pretty uninteresting with the cliche "greet everyone and they'll all be your friends" thing as she tries to fit in. They didn't bother to have her actually talk much more about herself or the alternate realm she came from.

I have yet to get any points for Flora, though. Hopefully they add a bit to her, since being Corrinsexual killed how many supports she could have had in Fates to flesh her out more.

I've just always had a bias against Ophelia and Nina, it really doesn't have anything to do with this event. I only tolerated Owain's antics because in Awakening he had a deeper personality beyond just shouting things and being delusional; I don't like his Odin counterpart at all. Unfortunately, Ophelia is an expy of Odin, not the deeper Owain, so of course I'm having a hard time stomaching her. Please tell me her conversation in this forging bonds goes beyond "chosen one this, chosen one that".

Nina could've been a good character had they focused on deeper aspects of her character, like her "Robin Hood"-esque qualities or how she feels about her father. But the most memorable thing about her is a shallow yaoi fangirl who ships together people she actually knows. There's a big difference between shipping characters who are fictional, and shipping people in your own reality that you actually know. If Nina were a real person, she'd be writing "real person fanfiction", pretty much, and this whole following people around in barrels to satisfy her own delusions is very off-putting. She's not even a good yaoi fangirl, she's one of the awful creepy ones.

Edited by Sunwoo

I for one actually enjoy 3/4ths of the characters here, Nina being the only outlier, so I’m not going one of the folks who bitch and moan. I also find the acesssories more interesting here this time. 

Was there any forging bonds that was actually considered to be good? There were a couple supports I liked, but most just ended up as player worshipping. And the ones now seem to just rely on character gimmicks to fill text. I hope I'm wrong and will be caught of guard by something, but from what I heard it's not that great

Anyways, seems like FB heroes are the "cash-grab" heroes of every month that attracts the most players to pull. Granted, that could change as 3 FBs don't predict the future ones, but the ones we've has so far we're Awakening, CYL2 and Conquest. All of them pretty much being majority liked banners and/or from popular FE entries. It'd be pretty silly of me to expect Fateswakeing and CYL-based banners only so it's probably just a quick cashgrab before the 3rd CYL rears in

23 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Nina could've been a good character had they focused on deeper aspects of her character, like her "Robin Hood"-esque qualities or how she feels about her father. But the most memorable thing about her is a shallow yaoi fangirl who ships together people she actually knows. There's a big difference between shipping characters who are fictional, and shipping people in your own reality that you actually know. If Nina were a real person, she'd be writing "real person fanfiction", pretty much, and this whole following people around in barrels to satisfy her own delusions is very off-putting. She's not even a good yaoi fangirl, she's one of the awful creepy ones.

I do admit her shipping "real" people weirds me out and is something I have never liked about the RL yaoi fandom. On the other hand, target of obsession aside, I found a lot of her reactions pretty relatable. They really brought out the awkwardness and total lack of social skills that I had at around 15, where fandom was my only outlet and I had barely anything else to talk about. Her embarassment over her hobby and joy at discovering other people liking the same thing was also nicely done. So while I agree that her obsessing over "real" people and some of her more stalkerish behavious is inappropriate, and that they could have definitely expanded her character at least a little, I just can't bring myself to dislike her for it.

I do have a bias against Ophelia, but that's mostly because someone once talked me into translating all her dlc convo's..orz 

13 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I do have a bias against Ophelia, but that's mostly because someone once talked me into translating all her dlc convo's..orz 

Now that's a worrying sentence. 

Are we talking nightmarish characterization or just plain difficulty to translate what she speaks because she talks, you know, like that?

7 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Now that's a worrying sentence. 

Are we talking nightmarish characterization or just plain difficulty to translate what she speaks because she talks, you know, like that?

It's a nightmare to translate simply because of how difficult it is. I don't know how much experience you have with Japanese, but imagine trying to get a sentence like " A being with the star-fueled power to bestow the strength to avert disaster, being forced to watch as freedom and rightful ownership are being taken away.." out of what looks more like Chinese, due to all the strings of almost unbroken kanji being used. 

2 minutes ago, Nanima said:

It's a nightmare to translate simply because of how difficult it is. I don't know how much experience you have with Japanese, but imagine trying to get a sentence like " A being with the star-fueled power to bestow the strength to avert disaster, being forced to watch as freedom and rightful ownership are being taken away.." out of what looks more like Chinese, due to all the strings of almost unbroken kanji being used. 

OMG you and whoever else had to translate this deserves a medal. Owain and Odin must have been as bad as that.

9 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

OMG you and whoever else had to translate this deserves a medal. Owain and Odin must have been as bad as that.

They are, although at least I have the sense not to translate these in a bunch anymore. It really tells you something about the language they use when even the other characters have trouble understanding them. If something is meant to sound confusing for native speakers, translators know they are in for a rough time.

Owain's persona had much more meaning behind it than Ophelia's, since it seemed a conscious act to both mask his pain and uplift those around him after dealing with so much loss. It's actually kind of dark. However, I still find it funny how Ophelia's just seen him act that way and so has copied him at face value like a kid, and she doesn't know it's for show. She thinks she's her own superhero like her dad supposedly is, so it's funny to see somebody play his act straight and what trouble that leads to. Plus her lines are just fun in general, too. "Fair finger of fate!" "Luminary uppercut!" A nice dose of silliness.

Nina's character is mostly played for jokes with her yaoi obsession, which I don't really mind. I honestly find shipping and that sort of obsessive behavior pretty annoying in real life, but a 2D character acting in an exaggerated manner can still be funny to me. I don't usually equate Japanese anime/game characters' behavior with real people. Like most of the Fates cast, I find the abundance of quirkiness pretty refreshing.