Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

I think I'm just very easily annoyed by certain character traits, especially those that especially bother me the most IRL. Ophelia's delusions of grandeur, even if she picked it up from Odin, doesn't endear to me because I generally don't like people with an overinflated sense of importance if there's no deep underlying reason to it, like with Owain.

2 hours ago, Nanima said:

I do admit her shipping "real" people weirds me out and is something I have never liked about the RL yaoi fandom. On the other hand, target of obsession aside, I found a lot of her reactions pretty relatable. They really brought out the awkwardness and total lack of social skills that I had at around 15, where fandom was my only outlet and I had barely anything else to talk about. Her embarassment over her hobby and joy at discovering other people liking the same thing was also nicely done. So while I agree that her obsessing over "real" people and some of her more stalkerish behavious is inappropriate, and that they could have definitely expanded her character at least a little, I just can't bring myself to dislike her for it.

Nina's stalker-ish behavior would've at least been more tolerable if she was called out on the creepier aspects of what she's doing, but other characters treat it like a cute quirk. I understand a lot of yaoi fangirls may go through a similar obsessive stage when they're young, but the aspects of Nina that I find creepy is the real-life person shipping aspect, and that's something I have very little tolerance for. I think it would've been fine if Nina just enjoyed yaoi a little too much, but they actively go out of their way to say that she enjoys shipping real people, which is the dealbreaker for me.

For people who do enjoy these characters (and I do understand there are a lot of people who do), I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. There's no problem with liking them. I personally just have some real issues with characters like Ophelia and Nina, which does make this forging bonds somewhat unenjoyable for me.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

@Ice Dragon, considering how percentage-based damage reduction works and if they were somehow able to wield Divine Tyrfing or an equivalent weapon, how would Bartre and Ogma compare to Seliph? Bartre I figure would be similar to Seliph since he just trades resistance for a bit more attack, defense, and HP while Ogma would be more interesting considering his much higher speed. Also, Virion because he shares the same resistance as them, but Parthia might be fairer in which case he might not do as well as Jeorge who has arguably higher offenses and the damage reduction is lower on Parthia than Divine Tyrfing.

And on the flipside, L'Arachel with a physical damage version of Parthia or even Divine Tyrfing for a hypothetical Ivaldi refinement.

I did like the last Forging Bonds but I didn't pay much attention to Ylisean Travelers since I don't like Sumia and don't care much one way or the other about Maribelle or Libra. I do like Ophelia and Nina, though, so this one is okay for me. I haven't gotten a chance to build with Silas yet, though~

Saber could benefit from a second eyepatch. No more sight, but it'd unlock his hidden skill: Sixth React- DC and always attack first with a +10 damage Special trigger.

4 hours ago, Nanima said:

out of what looks more like Chinese

I thought I remember hearing Chinese (which in its Classical form was from Nara to Tokugawa a language spoken and written by Japanese elite) is used in Japanese popular entertainment, particularly in flashy martial artist contexts. I guess Ophelia and Owain fall into this camp? Can someone please open a rift to the Dragonball world for them?

I have no opinions on the Fates crew, these new four included. Other than Flora in Musou constantly skating and slaughtering hundreds, in her maid outfit. Odin's garb is sadly ugly, even if his flesh is good to me. Nina, well I couldn't possibly go in with an open mind on her. Ophelia is also, what 14, and in those clothes? Eh.... But I won't summon Doomtrain again, I'm sure this time Ultimecia would kill the summon before I finish casting it.

19 hours ago, Nanima said:

It's a nightmare to translate simply because of how difficult it is. I don't know how much experience you have with Japanese, but imagine trying to get a sentence like " A being with the star-fueled power to bestow the strength to avert disaster, being forced to watch as freedom and rightful ownership are being taken away.." out of what looks more like Chinese, due to all the strings of almost unbroken kanji being used. 

You just reminded me of the Ophelia x Hisame support that I translated and one of her lines was 

"The spiral branches that spearhead towards the sky embody the very endless cycle of death and rebirth!" 

For the curious, she's talking about bonsai plants. I haven't unlocked a support conversation with Ophelia in Forging Bonds but I'm gonna have to clap for the person or people that had to work on her interesting lines.  

On topic: I find it slightly amusing that I haven't turned a non-GHB 3* into a combat manual. Don't know why. I just feel like it's easier for me to access them if I just scroll down than having to look for them on the combat manuals screen even though they're sorted the same way. 

Edited by tobuShogi

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I think I'm just very easily annoyed by certain character traits, especially those that especially bother me the most IRL. Ophelia's delusions of grandeur, even if she picked it up from Odin, doesn't endear to me because I generally don't like people with an overinflated sense of importance if there's no deep underlying reason to it, like with Owain.

Nina's stalker-ish behavior would've at least been more tolerable if she was called out on the creepier aspects of what she's doing, but other characters treat it like a cute quirk. I understand a lot of yaoi fangirls may go through a similar obsessive stage when they're young, but the aspects of Nina that I find creepy is the real-life person shipping aspect, and that's something I have very little tolerance for. I think it would've been fine if Nina just enjoyed yaoi a little too much, but they actively go out of their way to say that she enjoys shipping real people, which is the dealbreaker for me.

For people who do enjoy these characters (and I do understand there are a lot of people who do), I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. There's no problem with liking them. I personally just have some real issues with characters like Ophelia and Nina, which does make this forging bonds somewhat unenjoyable for me.

Fair enough. It's really quite disturbing what Intsys can file under wacky anime hijinks. Soleil's sexual harassment also falls into that category for some reason. If they treated those things as the seriously awful behaviour it is, it would have been a step in the right direction.

Another things they could have eypanded on with Eponine aside from Robinhood antics, was her relationship with her dad. She is one of the few children in Fates that actually gets to hold a grudge on her parent for leaving her in the baby oven dimension. 

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought I remember hearing Chinese (which in its Classical form was from Nara to Tokugawa a language spoken and written by Japanese elite) is used in Japanese popular entertainment, particularly in flashy martial artist contexts. I guess Ophelia and Owain fall into this camp? Can someone please open a rift to the Dragonball world for them?

It's less actual chinese and more that using kanji in bulk like that makes what they are saying look much more "dramatic". Actually, activating Odin's personal skill in Japanese even required using at least 4 or 5 kanji when naming a forged tome. (not sure how that was localized actually. Just using the maximum number of letters?)

5 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

You just reminded me of the Ophelia x Hisame support that I translated and one of her lines was 

"The spiral branches that spearhead towards the sky embody the very endless cycle of death and rebirth!" 

For the curious, she's talking about bonsai plants. I haven't gotten unlocked a support conversation with Ophelia in Forging Bonds but I'm gonna have to clap for the person or people that had to work on her interesting lines.  

Oh yeah I heard about that. Really wish she could just talk straight for once. I play Heroes in Japanese and I just zone through her FB dialogue without even trying to understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Fair enough. It's really quite disturbing what Intsys can file under wacky anime hijinks. Soleil's sexual harassment also falls into that category for some reason. If they treated those things as the seriously awful behaviour it is, it would have been a step in the right direction.

Another things they could have eypanded on with Eponine aside from Robinhood antics, was her relationship with her dad. She is one of the few children in Fates that actually gets to hold a grudge on her parent for leaving her in the baby oven dimension. 

Pretty much, yeah. There are characters like Tharja and Soleil and Nina, who have quirks that are ... well, "controversial", to put it lightly, and sometimes I feel like there are some characters who get off with rather questionable quirks because they're cute female characters. If Nina were a socially awkward boy whose hobby was being a yuri fanboy and doing all the things Nina did, I'm pretty sure people would rightfully dislike him. So Nina doesn't get a pass from me when her creepier aspects are just never acknowledged. And Soleil has a similar issue, I really don't understand why the people writing her thought that was acceptable.

You know, it'd be interesting to see how Nina felt about both parents. She's definitely mad at dad for leaving her in the baby dimension, but you don't see that level of resentment, if any, towards her mom. Part of it might be because Nina's tied to Niles and not to her mom, but it didn't stop Gerome from treating variable dad with much more hostility than Cherche. What gives?

29 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Pretty much, yeah. There are characters like Tharja and Soleil and Nina, who have quirks that are ... well, "controversial", to put it lightly, and sometimes I feel like there are some characters who get off with rather questionable quirks because they're cute female characters. If Nina were a socially awkward boy whose hobby was being a yuri fanboy and doing all the things Nina did, I'm pretty sure people would rightfully dislike him. So Nina doesn't get a pass from me when her creepier aspects are just never acknowledged. And Soleil has a similar issue, I really don't understand why the people writing her thought that was acceptable.

Oh boy. I'm mindblown right now. Yeah, females seem to get a pass. There's a double standard for genders. You know what, I think I'll try making a male character for a hack that has one of the female character tropes of Fatesawakening just to see how much of a backlash it can get.

Yo. Performing arts

16 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You know, it'd be interesting to see how Nina felt about both parents. She's definitely mad at dad for leaving her in the baby dimension, but you don't see that level of resentment, if any, towards her mom. Part of it might be because Nina's tied to Niles and not to her mom, but it didn't stop Gerome from treating variable dad with much more hostility than Cherche. What gives?

That's a good point. Same thing happened with Shinonome, whose grievances are also exclusively focused on Ryouma. I feel like Fates treated the variable parent as almost completely non-existent in the actual fanily dynamic. I can't imagine most of Leo's potential wifes just letting him get away with verbally abusing their son for instance. 

I guess in Eponine's case you could handwave it by the fact that Zero is very clumsy with his emotions (understandable considering his background). In their c-support he just starts out forbidding her from becoming a thief without really explaining why it's different from what he did. Their convo does end with them coming to a closer understanding of each other, but it's taken some time to get to this point. Meanwhile, at least a good portion of the potential moms (excluding the likes of Peri) seem more likely to talk this out with Eponine earlier and im a more competent way. Again, this is just handwaving on my part, and the writers really should have addressed it.

Oh right, I totally forgot about Shiro being annoyed at Ryoma for the same thing, but seems totally cool with mom. Yeah, Fates did a pretty bad job at how they treated the variable parent, especially compared to Awakening. Like, Awakening's Future Past gave unique conversations for each father option for each child (or mother, in Lucina's case), but Fates basically just ignored that mothers exist in their equivalent of Future Past, didn't they?

5 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I like PA!Olivia and PA!Azura art, which of them is more useful?

Definitely Axura

One of the best green dancers because of her prf, which buffs all stats of her target when Singing.

She also comes with Triangle Adept so she'll be great at checking Blue threats like Nowi.

That said, Olivia is still interesting since she can support with her dagger debuffs and has Distant Def

Random thought...

Spoiler

Usually with New Unit banners, the devs have either a Paralogue or Story chapter to accompany it, but they JUST ended Book 2...

Does that mean we're getting a Paralogue featuring the three "new" units?

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, Fates did a pretty bad job at how they treated the variable parent, especially compared to Awakening. Like, Awakening's Future Past gave unique conversations for each father option for each child (or mother, in Lucina's case), but Fates basically just ignored that mothers exist in their equivalent of Future Past, didn't they?

As far as people outside of Japan know, yeah pretty much.

But one of the Festival of Bonds DLC seems to have expanded on the mother-child relations, but us who do not live in Japan will never know because the DLC was never released before Fates just silently died out.

Edited by Xenomata

7 minutes ago, Xenomata said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Looks like so, yeah. Maybe Loki takes Laevatein and us to the local equivalent of Helheim where we meet Laegjarn and Helbindi?
But this would be too dark for the whatever mood the story had taken.

PA Olivia and PA Azura elude me again. There weren't even any green orbs and I'm not going to summon beyond the first one since a bunch of other banners are coming up. On the bright side, a +Atk, -Res Ogma. Now to wait for something dumb for him. Sword Basilikos, double L&D6, and 0 base resistance.

Speaking of sword units, Shield Pulse Athena looks cool. Totally not me being really, really intrigued by Shield Pulse or anything. :p

If Athena is ever given a personal sword which she kind of should considering Mia is literally Athena, but better which also extends to CYL Celica and Leif who have a similar stat spreads and kind of Karla as a ++Atk, -Def Athena, she'd likely end up with a copy of Nameless Blade or something that still has Wo Dao's effect as part of. It'd make sense, but perhaps something else could be given to make let her stand out more than Mia with a different Wo Dao. -1 special cooldown count and Light Brand and Shining Bow's effect, "If foe's Def >= Res +5, deals +7 damage", would be cool, but then it'd screw over Leif since -1 special cooldown count is probably better than +3 Def, especially on longer engagements where it'd be a permanent special cooldown reduction unlike S Drink being turn 1 only. Leif would have better sustain on TTs and Chain Challenges with S Drink, though. Well, whatever.

Edit: Messed around with Ally Support and Summoner Support for the first time. With Ally Support, I had Eirika and Odin support just because they do synergize with each other; unique refined Sieglinde and Odin's Grimoire. I had supported characters based on their relationships in their home games just because like Boey and Mae and Genny and Sonya, but I didn't actually level them up unlike with Eirika and Odin since I wanted to get some SP for Eirika and Forging Bonds is repetitive. I was going to hold out for Laevatein because Laevatein's Laevatein is a -blade blade with Odin's unique refined Odin's Grimoire would just make sense. Also, the idea of Ophelia being the heiress of Muspell and Ylisse was funny to me.

As for Summoner Support, I supported Clair for the hell of it a couple weeks. I regret it. The stats boost is fantastic, but the S support scene made me feel uncomfortable. I don't know, it reminds me of the whole summoner worship bullshit. I'm getting to the point where I want to pretend the summoner does not even exist anymore which would seriously mess up the story. Screw it, the summoner to me now is actually Breidablik and everyone in Heroes is so crazy that they act like an inanimate gun is a person and feel compelled to follow its "orders". Some of them also worship the stupid thing. Also, this would explain the whole why do so many Bartres and Wrys get summoned. In other words, Breidablik randomly and frequently misfires. It would also explain Ophelia's scene with Breidablik. She's alone and pretending to be an incompetent summoner who thinks they're all-powerful. Kind of like how people think nobody is around them and they start acting out Star Wars or something.

Edited by Kaden

In the current meta Light Brand's effect to put it simply is very lackluster due to the mixed bulk craze. It's such a enemy dependant effect that doesn't guarantee you'll be able to use it. It's one thing to have a stat measuring contest, but another to rely on two of your opponent's stats. Karla's weapon is so much better than Leif's because it's such an easy weapon to use cause Karla's crazy speed stat that will overwhelm the meta, who are used to being doubled

They should've just sticked to the Bragi Sword. Watch there be a inheritable light brand soon. This kind of effect should've been for bows, but even then it's not that big of a improvement for that type

52 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Random thought...

Reveal hidden contents

Usually with New Unit banners, the devs have either a Paralogue or Story chapter to accompany it, but they JUST ended Book 2...

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they just went "You can get the orbs from the Book II quests ktnxbi", there's no hint of a new paralogue. There wasn't any hint the PA rerun was today either though.....

Aside from that, Swift Sparrow's next week and I'd like to predict who's next on it. Also some thoughts on the ploy banner.

Out of the list of Ayra, Mageirika, Ishtar, Katarina, Lewyn, Brave Lyn, Peganino and Gronnnwen, I think it's safe to saw Lewyn (Currently on new unit banner), B!Lyn (Recent VG Banner), Gronnwen (Recent Renewal) and Ishtar (upcoming BHB) are almost certainly out and Katarina and Mageirika are debatable because they had banners in the last 3 months as well.So the only two who I think are likely are Ayra and Peganino, with the third being one of the other two, with Katarina possibly on the ploy banner making me think it's Mageirika (Also Magerika's last banner was the early August legendary banner, making it very unlikely she could be there either).

I'm a bit less confident on guessing the ploy banner, but why not?

Spoiler

So first I'll list the 5* non-legendary/seasonal ploy users.

Atk: Kararina F!Morgan
Def: Flora
Res: Lute Sonya
Spd: Deirdre
Panic: Luke Zelgius

Of them, Flora (Currently on banner, will be recent when it is out) and Deirdre (TT banner) have been on banners this month and Katarina, Morgan and Zelgius have been on banners since July. Morgan and Zelgius were on in early July though, so I would think either of them are pretty likely. Luke hasn't been on a banner since June 2017 and while he'd be perfect for this banner the idea that Zelgius could be on it pretty much kills his chances in my opinion (Just drop him and Saber IS) Lute also hasn't been on in a while and I suspect she's a likely unit for this banner. None of this is guaranteed, but it would make sense with what's there.

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

In the current meta Light Brand's effect to put it simply is very lackluster due to the mixed bulk craze. It's such a enemy dependant effect that doesn't guarantee you'll be able to use it. It's one thing to have a stat measuring contest, but another to rely on two of your opponent's stats. Karla's weapon is so much better than Leif's because it's such an easy weapon to use cause Karla's crazy speed stat that will overwhelm the meta, who are used to being doubled

They should've just sticked to the Bragi Sword. Watch there be a inheritable light brand soon. This kind of effect should've been for bows, but even then it's not that big of a improvement for that type

well there is the possibility of def or res ploy to manipulate opponent stats ir chill def/res. but yeah a much higher hassle to proc it

On the topic of bows. It's more of stat distribution issue than releasing a weapon that's good for archers. Course they could just release effective damage bows. IS seemed to have it in their head at the start of the game that ranged physical > ranged magical. Even then, the archers with offensive stats that are comparable to that of mages are either seasonal or 5* locked. Just fix the bad apples already IS. Hand out prfs to archers like there's no tomorrow

Skill glitch has been fully explained and surprisingly enough, doesn't require an update to fix. Props to IS for properly compensating those affected.

Requiring such a specific combination of actions probably explains why not many were affected. Good thing I don't care for rival domains grinding

Edited by Korath88