Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

8 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'm thinking about it mainly from Genny and I guess Mist since they have regular staves, they're from games with that skill, and the developers have yet to give any of the preexisting healers new staves.

Adjacent space healing in Tellius? That wasn't on the Staff units you know? It was only for the Herons.

Staffs can't use offensive Specials right? Shame, since equipping a Staff in RD always gave between 5-100 Crit, which translates to Specials in FEH.

RD Staffs also offered various equip bonuses, mostly self-HP regen, but also self-status cure (debuff removal in FEH?); and Def and Spd boosts of up to 5 points per stat, Rescue giving the most at +5 Spd and +4 Def.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Adjacent space healing in Tellius? That wasn't on the Staff units you know? It was only for the Herons.

WHEN we get they Herons they should have a skill that heals the targets of their Sing command. It's a must!

8 hours ago, Zeo said:

Tell me what you think of these units.

Only thing that caught my eye was Stillness, which I’ve always wanted to see and figured would just make a unit untargettable on enemy phase when at least one other non-user ally can be targetted (rather than invulnerability). That sort of setup would work with Provoke as well, where enemies can only target any users in range.

As far as balance goes, it’d absolutely need to come with all sorts of restrictions. HP over X%, weapon and/or movement type restrictions, Volke only, disables support commands on unit when active, whatever. B slot is a good start since it rules out Desperation and -sweeps.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I didn't know that. The Fire Emblem wikia just redirected Soothing Light to Blessing. The wikia is missing information for SoV's skills like Apotrope just redirects to Iron Will which doesn't really function like Apotrope other than reducing magic damage. The other wikis, however, are more accurate.

8 hours ago, Zeo said:

@mampfoid Darn... I really should do that too... just to not have to be bothered with it. I can't auto Infernal+ but Infernal should be good enough with the horses with an S rank every time.

Now for the biggest Mass tag I've ever done, I'm doing this because I kinda want to open a discussion of powercreep on dagger units and weather or not that's a good thing given their current place and lack of relevance in the game (outside of the current "cheerleader" meta of arena where they shine rather bright if you bothered to invest in one.)

This isn't another one of those showcase posts where I'm doing a clear or even asking for help. My imagination got away from me and I wanted to see what I could come up with to create a powerful colorless dagger unit worthy to be used. It eventually went farther than that and became the desire to see how much is too much and what exactly daggers need to be good units. I want you to see what I came up with and critique it, but I also want to hear what you guys think daggers need to really become a threat and what impact you think the inheritable skills I come up with would have on the meta.

We're entering a very late stage of powercreep. When I first started working on this post we hadn't seen the new legendary Tiki. Now we've gotten our first real taste of a DC weapon with an additional effect which means the door is open for DC weapon refines. This is also after Flora's weapon got a whopping 4 effects. That being said I want you to think long and hard about what's acceptable in the game at this point before telling me what's OP. That being said, here's what I came up with. 2 colorless daggers on opposite ends of the spectrum. First being a favorite, the other entirely new. Let's see if I can break the game or if I'm not even keeping the status quo.

Brave Matthew

VvegesE.png

Hide contents

I've done a lot of spitballing and thinking about how I could make Matthew a universally viable unit with refines and inheritance, but I decided to really sit down this time and think about what I could give a juiced version of him in today's meta complete with inheritable skills and desirability. Here's what I came up with within the limitations of the game, but with a little powercreep.

• BST: 155 (Highest prev dagger BST = 152)
  • HP: 38 (Superboon) | ATK: 27 | SPD: 36 | DEF: 31 (Superboon) | RES: 23
  • Memento - At start of combat, if unit's HP ≥ 80%, inflicts Special cooldown charge -1 on foe per attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack.), If foe's Atk > unit's Atk, inflicts Atk-6 on foe during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, inflicts Def/Res-7 on target and foes within 2 spaces of target through their next actions, and grants Def/Res+7 to unit and allies within 2 spaces for 1 turn.    
  • TempestBoosts damage dealt by 30% of unit's Def/Res. (Cooldown: 2) (Skill cannot be inherited.)
  • Vassal's Counter - Foe Can counterattack regardless of range. If foe initiates combat, unit gains +4 Spd/Def. (Skill cannot be inherited.)
  • Equalizer 3 - If unit's HP > 50%, Deals +10 damage when Special triggers and foe deals -10 damage when Special triggers.
  • Infantry Rush 3Infantry allies within 2 spaces gain: "if unit's Atk ≥ foe's Atk +1, grants Special cooldown charge +1 per attack. (only highest value applied. Does not stack.)"

Overview: Welcome to Gen 2 shuriken users. This revised version of Matthew stacks a couple of extra points of BST but sacrifices some HP any real increase of ATK to equalize his bulk and take a much needed leap in speed. His bulk while appearing mediocre is rather respectable for a ranged unit and his low ATK stat is offset by a powerful special activation further bolstered by his defenses. When attacked by a physical unit with a higher ATK stat his defense jumps to 41 and resistance sits at a modest 29. Memento's Rogue Dagger effect pushes this further to a max of 47/36. Then we factor in the Guard effect of Memento, effectively shielding him from being crippled by enemy specials and forcing them to chip through his defenses.

Moving to offense, his unique special: Tempest bases his damage off 30% of both defensive stats, which at base give him a flat 15. Which is modest, but also factoring in the potential increase for damage from his powercreeped Close Counter and Rogue Dagger buffs give him a ceiling of 21 damage. Still not too bad but for a 2 turn special it's pretty nice. Enter Equalizer 3, his new inheritable skill. This ability inspired by Special Fighter, while niche, fits perfectly into Matthew's kit. Gives not only a Wo Dao+ effect on any special of his choice, but also gives something not yet seen in this game, a reverse Wo Dao effect on the opponent if caught within it's perimeters. This ability not only cancels out the Wo Dao+ effect from abilities like Wrath, Bushido and of course the Wo series of weapons but applies a flat -10 in their absence. Meaning an enemy unit can potentially do even less damage with a special than they would attacking normally. EG. Foe does 10 damage, foe activates Sol, foe does 0 damage.

As a result we have a fast, imposing unit that can do high amounts of damage in a very short amount of time while being difficult to kill in a single round of combat, but can still be promptly dealt with by a great deal of magic users due to his modest RES and HP count. He does however have access to his powerful Tempest at 1 cooldown if he chooses to inherit the Barb Shuriken which can be dangerous with his Equalizer, but then we sacrifice bulk which is half of his functionality and while he has potent special activation, he relies heavily on it as his native ATK is still poor. As a final touch of support he comes with Infantry Rush 3.

Volke

OhbO1jA.png

Hide contents

For defense we have Arden, for Resistance we have quite a few tanky mages, but while we've come close we to this day do not have a true min-maxed offensive unit. This is what we should have had with Jaffar but we weren't there yet. What better unit to use for this than the fireman himself. Volke. His spread is supremely min-maxed offensively and as not only a dagger but a physical ranged unit. Despite this I did so while still staying within the confines of the game's BST limits, not even giving him a single extra point.

• BST: 152 
  • HP: 35 (Superbane) | ATK: 41 (Superboon) | SPD: 42 | DEF: 16 (Superbane) | RES: 18
  • Baselard: Accelerates Special Trigger -1, If unit's HP ≥ 50% and unit initiates combat, unit can make a follow-up attack before foe can counterattack. 
    if unit attacked, inflicts Def/Res-7 on target and foes within 2 spaces of target through their next actions.
  • Lethality: Boosts damage dealt by 80% of unit's Atk. (Cooldown of 3) (Skill cannot be inherited.)
  • Special Blow - If unit Initiates combat, unit gains Special cooldown charge +1 attack. (If using other similar skill, only highest value applied.)
    Stillness - If any unit other than this unit was in foe's attack range, this unit takes 0 damage during combat. (Skill cannot be inherited.)
  • Infantry Flash 3: Infantry allies within 2 spaces gain: "if unit's Spd ≥ foe's Spd +1, grants Special cooldown charge +1 per attack. (only highest value applied. Does not stack.)"

Overview: Let me introduce the fireman. A true assassin. Here we have a truly min-maxed offensive unit capable of cutting through the toughest of opponents uncontested, true to the name of an assassin. He's introduced with an unmatched offensive statline of 41/42 which is not only unprecedented for a dagger unit but for any unit in the entirety of Heroes to the point of downright absurdity. Like an assassin however, he is only as powerful as unexpected offense. He trades his unrivaled offensive prowess in exchange for being one of the if not the most fragile unit in the entire game. Needing a mere 51 ATK to kill him in single hit. 

On the offensive side he takes a page out of Lewyn's book and applies the reverse Desperation effect to his weapon. It was either this route or a downright Firesweep Dagger+, problem is there would be no one else to take the Baselard. We trade the SPD+3 for a killing effect and the standard dagger debuff and you have a very potent weapon on a very potent unit right out of the gate. This bumps the cooldown of his personal special down to 2. Which by the way, we'll get to right now.

Lethality. The ability to instantly kill an opponent. It's not to be underestimated. Obviously such a broken skill could never make it's way into a game like Heroes, but it can at the very least represent the terror of which the opponent faces when forced to deal with this it. Being the first skill to trigger based on a user's ATK stat by percentage, the easiest stat to boost in heroes, it boosts based on a terrifying 80% giving it Black Luna levels of broken. Few if any units can survive such an attack. This is boosted more so by his inheritable A skill: Special Blow.

For his A skill I could have gone two routes. The offensive "Breath" series (Aka Death Breath, Armored Breath, Darting Breath etc.) which would be a reverse of the Steady Breath series or simply a 300 SP cooldown charge +1 skill in Special Blow. An offensive Breath series is cancerous in my eyes, but sacrificing the A slot for a blanket acceleration on initiation is more fair in my eyes. In Volkes case it, in combination with his weapon allows him a guaranteed Lethality on every round of combat provided he initiates provided he can double. If there's even a semblance of a chance the opponent could survive we could inherit Equalizer from B!Matthew which with it's +10 boost to damage would likely outright kill everything in the entire game.

This potent offense is not without it's drawbacks however. This perfect offense comes at a cost. His defenses are reduced to absolute zero. At 51/53 mixed bulk Volke has no enemy phase presence whatsoever. If he is attacked, he will die, if he fails to kill his target, he will die. He's also easy target for ploys and an especially easy target for chill skills. His last skill is a unique one which I want to talk about. Stillness. But I'll get to that once I wrap his synopsis. Stillness helps his non-existent EP by essentially giving him a Muspellflame effect if the unit attacking him also had one of his allies in range that they could have attacked instead. As a final touch of support he comes with Infantry Flash 3, mirroring B!Matthew.

About Stillness: A representation of both it and Shade from the Tellius games. What having this skill meant in FE10 meant was if the unit with it equipped was in range of an opponent and so was another ally, the enemy unit would prioritize the other ally instead. Due to obvious UI limitations a skill like this could never exist in Heroes. But it can in a fashion, work here. But I'm not sure about how it would work and what exactly that would mean in the sense of the game. First let's think about something like arena. With Volke, if all the units are sandwhiched together and you want to pick them off, you can't kill Volke unless he's the only unit in your range which is potentially horrifying in Arena. But forget that, let's think about the big picture: Rival Domains, Grand Conquest and Relay Defense. 

With modes like that where there are so many enemy units all at once, you've virtually never going to get a chance to safely dispatch him, meaning you're pretty much guaranteed to lose one of your units on the following EP. In the players hands, you can abuse Stillness to make the AI attack Volke forever because it'll prioritize him thanks to his abysmal bulk. This could be used to cheese basically the entire game due to the game's dumb AI. IS would have to specifically write an AI that avoided Volke (ala FE10) and prioritized your other ally if he was in range, which I'm not even sure is possible within the limitations of a mobile game like this.

Tell me what you think of these units. How they're balanced, the skills they bring to the table, how they would impact the meta (if at all) and if they would really have a presence at all in today's armor/dragon dominated meta. And while you're here, tell me what you think Daggers need to be viable in general and while we're there... what a dagger would need to rise to the top and become "meta".

Cheers~

Matthew doesn't seem too OP, would certainly give Daggers viability. I like what you did with Lethality on Volke to make it not broken, but I'd also give it one more Cooldown turn~ Stillness is also interesting, but I think might need a small nerf~ Depends way too much on a one on one combat and in Arena, RD, and GC, that's a pretty rare occurrence on either side, which could make him unkillable.

So yeah, both of these would surely make daggers more of a force to be reckoned with. I really think IS needs to just make more Daggers and make them good. Ones that counter Dragons, Armors, Horse, etc. Give us more variety. They did good with Flora, but I'd like to see these things not so limited~

28 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I didn't know that. The Fire Emblem wikia just redirected Soothing Light to Blessing. The wikia is missing information for SoV's skills like Apotrope just redirects to Iron Will which doesn't really function like Apotrope other than reducing magic damage. The other wikis, however, are more accurate.

Or you can use SF, all Skills for RD and PoR are listed here and here.

41 minutes ago, Kaden said:

The wiki is a huge mess when it comes to gameplay. Just use it for the story parts.

Also, PITFALL!?

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or you can use SF, all Skills for RD and PoR are listed here and here.

It showed up in my search bar first and I searched for Genny, so... Convenient, but inaccurate, I suppose.

Edited by Kaden

If IS is going to go out of their way to designate the current Grand Conquest as being in Jugdral, they could have at least limited the map music accordingly to make it seem more authentic.  I want to hear more Disturbance in Agustria and Lion King Eldigan, damn it.

17 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

If IS is going to go out of their way to designate the current Grand Conquest as being in Jugdral, they could have at least limited the map music accordingly to make it seem more authentic.  I want to hear more Disturbance in Agustria and Lion King Eldigan, damn it.

come to think of it the last holy war have made it in to the game iirc?

i havent actually played the game with sounds for such a  long time lol

Hopefully, I can get some Ests pulling for Blues a bit tomorrow.  I still need a -HP+Spd one to merge into.  Of course I could always get lucky and get Bluki before spending too many Orbs.

5 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

come to think of it the last holy war have made it in to the game iirc?

i havent actually played the game with sounds for such a  long time lol

That, along with Doors of Destiny via the last TT.  Now we just need another Gen II banner to add Light and Dark and we'll have our bases covered.

1 hour ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Hector returned in December. Meanig for December we have Hector, Marth, anf Fjorm returning...

Wait, does this mean for both December and November we got colorles LH? Because for November it's Ryoma, Gunnhtra and Lucina who returns 

Since we only have one so far i don't see anyone complaining about 2 Colorless Legends in a row. It's nowere near ideal, but it's what the choice of having only Grima be Colorless pushed us into.

When you want Swift Sparrow on a unit, remember you were pity broken with 3 Brave Lyns one of the times you were trying to get L!Robin, then check your barracks to be reminded that you merged them all to make room.

No Tiki, No Miciah and 3 minus attack 5* Units. Oh and Spring Catria. 
i very wisely removed my information from the game, so i didn't get tempted to buy more orbs or anything like that. it really hit me what i spent like this MORNING to get that, (and what i spent on the PA banner) so from now on, what I am going to do is just earmark i want to spend for the end of the month - then get a card, and that's it. but i think truthfully, i'm probably done for a while, regardless of the temptations that come out until maybe Christmas. i need to get up a big bank of orbs. so if i miss'em. i miss'em. 

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Welcome to the waiting for new content hell club. Expect more content to come in one week. Fuck yous from IS

Hard C9&10B2 kept raping my willpower. I cleared Lunatic with a guide but there obviously aren’t any guides for Hard.

Also this:
Screenshot_20180928-220752.png
So close…

1 hour ago, silverserpent said:

I want to smack myself...apparently I sent home a +2 5* Sothe >_<

Yikes, always make sure to favorite your 5*s >_>

I pulled Spring Catria from my first Session, then got 4 Sessions of no blue Orbs -_- I may only give it one more go because Halloween is so close~

I just beat Hector's Lunatic Battle, planning out how I can beat Tiki's now~