Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So the Japanese tradition is to dress up in victorian or whatever era clothes on Valentine's Day? I guess I can get behind that. I don't dislike the theme, I just didn't feel it fit Valentine's Day at the time.

I do not think they dress up for Valentine's, at least not like that unless it is in the bedroom to satisfy some fetish. The girls will give guys chocolates, hence the Gifts Weapons, but that is about it in terms of doing something different compared to an ordinary day.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think they dress up for Valentine's, at least not like that unless it is in the bedroom to satisfy some fetish. The girls will give guys chocolates, hence the Gifts Weapons, but that is about it in terms of doing something different compared to an ordinary day.

Oh, I see. Well, either way, I'd still like to see a female dress up in a cute pink, red, white, or purple heart-themed dress. I actually think it look great. And I'm not a big fan of pink. But if this isn't something that'd be popular, well...oh well.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So the Japanese tradition is to dress up in victorian or whatever era clothes on Valentine's Day? I guess I can get behind that. I don't dislike the theme, I just didn't feel it fit Valentine's Day at the time.

Not really. Valentine’s Day there is more about giving chocolates to each other. 

The characters are dressed like that because it fits the theme of romance and gift giving.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

So, some guesses for the next few months, with beasts now being a thing:

• Late January: Hoshido banner, including Kaden and Selkie

At this point, I highly doubt Heroes is going to give us an actual Hoshidan banner. Maybe they'll stick Kaden and Selkie with Keaton and Velouria, which at this point I prefer. I know it's not really fair to the Fates characters who aren't in that are wanted (like Rinkah), but a part of me feels that Heroes squandered Adrift by adding alts instead of actual characters and would rather not see Hoshido and Fates artificially split into two to give them more banners when other games have less characters in them.

All I want is another Thracia banner this year, with no alts on it.

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

The characters are dressed like that because it fits the theme of romance and gift giving.

How though? What do those clothes have to do with love and gift giving?

9 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think they dress up for Valentine's, at least not like that unless it is in the bedroom to satisfy some fetish. The girls will give guys chocolates, but that is about it in terms of doing something different compared to an ordinary day.

IS decided to theme the units around the time Valentine's became associated with romance (14th to 18th century), rather than modern Valentine's 'theming' (probably because it fits FE's general medieval feel more).

Also, it's Elizabethan style, not Victorian style.

Edit:

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Look up the term 'courtly love':  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtly_love

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

47 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Yeah, but money's money. That's at least a weeks worth of groceries for a single person, or a months worth of hot pockets for someone unconcerned with their health.

It is a lot of money IMO, but XRay has spent way more than that definitely. By lucky enough to get 200$ I mean that's the most what he'll get if he's lucky after I was researching on how to sell my account a few months ago in November. Selling it on Ebay from what I heard is not a bright idea due to numerous reasons. There's a dedicated subreddit for selling FEH accounts and even a discord. I asked a mod about usual prices and to my surprise accounts that have had a lot invested into them, despite a lot of money being spent on them, would fetch a 100$. XRay might be able to convince people to buy his account for 200$ bcs from what I understand he's spent a lot of money on the game. But there is no potential equal monetery return on spending on a mobile game

EDIT: As an example of someone whose spending I have a decent idea of. Ice has probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not then at least five figures. He isn't going to get his account sold for that much realistically

Edited by redlight

8 minutes ago, redlight said:

It is a lot of money IMO, but XRay has spent way more than that definitely. By lucky enough to get 200$ I mean that's the most what he'll get if he's lucky after I was researching on how to sell my account a few months ago in November. Selling it on Ebay from what I heard is not a bright idea due to numerous reasons. There's a dedicated subreddit for selling FEH accounts and even a discord. I asked a mod about usual prices and to my surprise accounts that have had a lot invested into them, despite a lot of money being spent on them, would fetch a 100$. XRay might be able to convince people to buy his account for 200$ bcs from what I understand he's spent a lot of money on the game. But there is no potential equal monetery return on spending on a mobile game

Yeah, I am not going through the trouble of selling it for only $200. I rather just keep it and come back to it if I ever quit. I do not think I have reached five figures yet, but it is probably getting close. I have got every single copy of GHB/TT Heroes, every Dancer/Singer, most Special Heroes, and enough fully built Blessed units to breeze through Arena Assault and Blessed Gardens.

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Have your thought that maybe they’re going to a Valentine’s day ball? Or as it was mentioned before it’s meant to be courtly love? Valentine’s Day doesn’t have all hearts and stuff, that’s how americans see it. 

It’s like if someone wanted a Thanksgiving banner in Heroes. Pretty stupid because that someone forgets that the game is made by japanese people, and they don’t give a damn about Thanksgiving.

Edited by Water Mage

20 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Look up the term 'courtly love':  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtly_love

Okay, but that still doesn't really answer my question. It seems that the clothes are just connected to medieval or victorian eras, not actual love. But FE IS more medieval than anything, so I guess this would be what they'd look like dressing up for special occasions like this anyway.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, but that still doesn't really answer my question. It seems that the clothes are just connected to medieval or victorian eras, not actual love. But FE IS more medieval than anything, so I guess this would be what they'd look like dressing up for special occasions like this anyway.

Have you ever thought that maybe they’re going to a ball? Balls are heavily associated with romance after all. Have never watched a fairy tale movie? 

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s like if someone wanted a Thanksgiving banner in Heroes. Pretty stupid because that someone forgets that the game is made by japanese people, and they don’t give a damn about Thanksgiving.

That reminds me, I had phone call with my airline once and my support person and I had a misunderstanding because American Thanksgiving and Canadian Thanksgiving are similar but not exactly the same thing, let alone the same day. We did not even realize we were talking to someone from a different country until Thanksgiving came up!

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Have you ever thought that maybe they’re going to a ball? Balls are heavily associated with romance after all. Have never watched a fairy tale movie? 

No, because they went to a festival? Since that's what the game said they were doing? And of course I've watched fairy tale movies, I'm a big fan of Disney. xP

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, because they went to a festival? Since that's what the game said they were doing? And of course I've watched fairy tale movies, I'm a big fan of Disney. xP

I know they went to a festival, but it was meant to be like a ball. The banner was about romantic love, not silly teenage love.

Edited by Water Mage

13 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I know they went to a festival, but it was meant to be like a ball. The banner was about romantic love, not silly teenage love.

Correction -- it was about love in general. They seem to give attention to the Eliwood-Hector-Lyn trio rather than just Lyn with one of the guys, and the Hector and Lilina scene makes it clear that it's also about familial love.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes it does, because it's the feeling that IS was trying to evoke with the Elizabethan character designs.  For many people, Elizabethan era clothing is romantic due to associating it with the idea of courtly love (possibly due to fact that the most identifiable modern association with Elizabethan era clothing is Shakespeare).

It is a different take on the holiday than the modern frivolity, and it is odd that IS went with a more serious approach for Valentine's rather than the completely frivolous approach used for most other seasonals.

Edit: @Sunwoo, while the story ultimately focused on non-romantic love, Hector was clearly expecting Lilina's gift to be romantic (and meant for someone else) due to the festival.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

45 minutes ago, redlight said:

EDIT: As an example of someone whose spending I have a decent idea of. Ice has probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not then at least five figures. He isn't going to get his account sold for that much realistically

I'm definitely still only at five figures.

4 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Edit: @Sunwoo, while the story ultimately focused on non-romantic love, Hector was clearly expecting Lilina's gift to be romantic (and meant for someone else) due to the festival.

Yeah, but the final message of the paralogue was more about all sorts of love rather than "only" romantic love. Unless we get Jugdral or Valentian Valentine's Day, I don't imagine we'll get ironclad canon couples in the banner, though.

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Unless we get Jugdral or Valentian Valentine's Day, I don't imagine we'll get ironclad canon couples in the banner, though.

*italics mine*

If ever they do drop, they'll be armored couples. Which is not a new thing per se, given the direction this game has taken.

1 minute ago, Karimlan said:

*italics mine*

If ever they do drop, they'll be armored couples. Which is not a new thing per se, given the direction this game has taken.

I don't know whether to laugh or facepalm.

52 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Okay then, that's fair. I know it wasn't silly teenage love, yeah.

37 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Yes it does, because it's the feeling that IS was trying to evoke with the Elizabethan character designs.  For many people, Elizabethan era clothing is romantic due to associating it with the idea of courtly love (possibly due to fact that the most identifiable modern association with Elizabethan era clothing is Shakespeare).

It is a different take on the holiday than the modern frivolity, and it is odd that IS went with a more serious approach for Valentine's rather than the completely frivolous approach used for most other seasonals.

Okay then. I didn't know it was associated with love that much. And yeah, it is more serious than the other seasonal banners, I agree.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

At this point, I highly doubt Heroes is going to give us an actual Hoshidan banner. Maybe they'll stick Kaden and Selkie with Keaton and Velouria, which at this point I prefer. I know it's not really fair to the Fates characters who aren't in that are wanted (like Rinkah), but a part of me feels that Heroes squandered Adrift by adding alts instead of actual characters and would rather not see Hoshido and Fates artificially split into two to give them more banners when other games have less characters in them.

All I want is another Thracia banner this year, with no alts on it.

I don't see a reason to expect them not to give us a proper Hoshidan banner. People keep saying they'll never do something just because they haven't done it yet, and then a ton of people request it, and then IS sees those requests and does it months later. We're right in the middle of the release of the biggest example of that yet.

I sure wouldn't complain about the four Fates beasts sharing a banner, but I don't think it's likely.

I'm with you in hoping for another Thracia banner. Alts on normal banners thankfully seem to be disappearing, hopefully that trend continues. Without being replaced by more alt banners in New Heroes slots like Adrift.

Edited by Othin

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

I don't see a reason to expect them not to give us a proper Hoshidan banner. People keep saying they'll never do something just because they haven't done it yet, and then a ton of people request it, and then IS sees those requests and does it months later. We're right in the middle of the release of the biggest example of that yet.

I mean ... I just get the feeling that IS seems to think Hoshido isn't profitable or something. During the first year, all of our seasonal Fates characters were Nohrian (or Nohr-inspired) up until Sakura in the Halloween banner, and she still shared with a Nohrian. Not to mention "Nohrian Summer". Even seasonal events that were said to be Hoshidan-inspired (the first New Years banner, Hoshidan Summer) still only had one actual Hoshidan and were invaded by Nohr. The closest thing to a "normal" Hoshidan banner had an alt (Hinoka), three neutral (Valla) child characters, and the only actual Hoshidan was a neutral path character and a free reward from Grand Conquest. Meanwhile, Nohr gets a banner with three exclusives and one neutral Nohrian.

Even if there are Hoshido fans who would like a Hoshido banner, I think there's also a large crowd of players who just want less Fates in general. I just get the feeling that IS is 1) not interested in Hoshido exclusive banners, and 2) burned out the fans on spamming Fates stuff, even if it was mostly Nohrian.

18 minutes ago, Othin said:

I'm with you in hoping for another Thracia banner. Alts on normal banners thankfully seem to be disappearing, hopefully that trend continues. Without being replaced by more alt banners in New Heroes slots like Adrift.

Agreed. Adrift was just really weird and what made it even worse was that it didn't demote anyone. It was not a time for an alt-heavy "New Heroes" banner or a banner without any demotes. Thracia also has a couple of interesting characters that could get in, even if most of them are not popular. Here's hoping.

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Thracia also has a couple of interesting characters that could get in, even if most of them are not popular. Here's hoping.

Using CYL 2's rankings for T776 characters not yet in:

Spoiler
  1. Mareeta- Cute and powerful Sword Infantry girl, and a good character by Thracia standards. Possible Regnal Astra candidate. 
  2. Glade- Obvious pity vote, that probably won't count. Is Finn's friend at least, with 1 Authority Star, and crappy everything else.
  3. Ced- If they don't choose to make him a Gen 2 Genealogy unit. Badass mage with some screentime and a Forseti.
  4. Eyvel- Since they're trying to sell us Nailah presently, even if Eyvel shows no skin, a strong mature female character might sell. Her only issue is being the same type as her adopted daughter, they might not be able to come together.
  5. Orsin, A handsome young Axe Infantry man with a personal that could easily become a Wo Dao or Slaying + DC weapon in FEH. 
  6. Sara- Cute and perky girl with a personal Staff- I think there is potential here.
  7. Asbel-  This Merric shota is a speedy Green Tome Infantry with a personal wrecker of a tome called Glyphcalibur.
  8. Linoan- Just makes the top 500. Could get Nosferatu, maybe, since it is softlocked as a personal for her in T776. A beautiful young lady who be a Blue Tome with her Naga Blood.
  9. Miranda- The Princess of Alster and awful Est is 501. Another Tome Infantry, although she does promote to Mage Knight if they want to Cav her; her weapon ranks suggest she'd be a fiery Red.
  10. Lara- Canon Dagger Dancer female, I think I've said enough.
  11. Ronan- An easy gimmick unit. Really high Res, low Atk and Def, good Spd. Since his thing in T776 is are 15% Str and 5% Def growths compared to 55% Spd and Mag- which is also Res in T776.
  12. Marty- Do the memes have enough power? Axe Infantry too. Has 0 base Spd in T776, and a dirt Str growth, but 40% Def is high by the standards of this game. And they could invent a Con stat just for him. Might as well count him as Armor for Wary Fighter access, or invent a personal for him with it or Trick Room.
  13. Galzus- Older man badass Infantry Gotoh who could go Sword or Axe (hopefully Meisteraxt). And he is also Mareeta's father and the prince of the fallen kingdom of Rivough, now a mercenary.
  14. Kempf- An enemy Mage Knight of no remarkable talent. His main reasons are being something of a story presence, and he HATES Olwen and Reinhardt.

I'll stop with Kempf, since that is the limit of good reasons really.

I would like to mention two others, just because they might have some appeal:

• Tina- A cute little sister loli with a personal Thief Staff.
  • Raydrik- A villain Armor with the Loptyr Sword. I can't just ignore him.

If we want to splice together a banner + TT/GHB, I'd take Mareeta, Orsin, Asbel, and just throw Sara on there for the heck of it, even though she isn't close to Leif (Asbel) or a Fiana Freeblade (Mareeta, Orsin). Eyvel for TT, but if GHB instead, Galzus. No Blue and double Green, but an Axe is good. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Mareeta being so popular (and outscoring Olwen) should guarantee that she'll be added at least. Can't say I'm super happy about that, not because I have anything against her but because the last thing we need are more busted red infantry swords. Hoping Ced will be saved for FE4 banner instead of taking up one of Thracia's spots. I'd also like Sara and Asbel in the game sooner rather than later. Lara as a dagger dancer would be nice, but I hope they save her for later rather than IS just spamming dancers mindlessly. Ronan as a bow cavalier would be nice, but would rather Midir or Rath or Sue show up first. Isn't Kempf a mage knight instead of a paladin? Either way, I'd be fine with him as the next GHB, would be confused as hell if he found his way onto a banner.

Basically, Thracia does have its interesting characters and profitable ones. It's REALLY weird how they just chose to go with a Reinhardt and Olwen alt on the first one, and I'm convinced Saias made it in so early because he's Arvis's bastard son.