Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

Could've just removed in-app purchases or bump it to adult rating due to it mentioning gambling in it's description. Unless they were given no quarter and were unable to respond. Still, reading from Nintendo's Twitter post it seems like it was their decision to shut down the game all-together in Belgium while mentioning no way of possible compromises. 

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

43 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

gacha-centric games like Heroes shouldn't have much trouble surviving in their current form on just Japan and the U.S.

At least we'll still be able to enjoy the artwork... 

So with the recent learn with Sharena, has the next Mythic been revealed already? 

Gambling or at least the online kind is legal in Belgium. They could've just bumped the ESRB rating unless leaving it in T with in-app purchases "damaged" the case for it to continue existing there.

I recall there being a gacha that removed it's in-app purchases making the entire game f2p in a specific region.

Oh yeah. Games that were hit with loot box laws are still playable like Overwatch and CSGO. You just can't open loot boxes. If the same were to be applied to Heroes then you couldn't summon. But they could've just removed in-app purchases

Edited by redlight

1 minute ago, Thane said:

So with the recent learn with Sharena, has the next Mythic been revealed already? 

The page is no longer up, so spoiler tag:

Spoiler

No, we don't have a reveal yet, just speculation. It's highly likely to be Naga, though, but Mila is technically not ruled out.

2 minutes ago, redlight said:

I recall there being a gacha that removed it's in-app purchases making the entire game f2p in a specific region.

Due to the single global server and the large player base, that would give an unfair advantage or disadvantage to players in that region for a game like Heroes.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
Spoiler

No, we don't have a reveal yet, just speculation. It's highly likely to be Naga, though, but Mila is technically not ruled out.

Spoiler

Neat. And how about this: adult Tiki as Naga because that's what I want? Remember Future Past! 

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Due to the single global server and the large player base, that would give an unfair advantage or disadvantage to players in that region for a game like Heroes.

Sure, if players were spending then they can't "compete" anymore, but they can still keep their accounts and continue playing, no? It's better than deleting all their effort just bcs a company can't profit from their region anymore. I understand that there'd be frustration with advantages/disadvantages, but that really falls on Nintendo for playing along with JP gacha standards overseas.

@HumanoidThanks for the specification?. So removing in-app purchases seemed to be possible for Nintendo in that region bcs of an existing similar case. There'd be drawbacks for players if it were a f2p region, but making them unable to play the game instead is just wrong. This reminds me of the whole games as a service video

Edited by redlight

26 minutes ago, redlight said:

Sure, if players were spending then they can't "compete" anymore, but they can still keep their accounts and continue playing, no? It's better than deleting all their effort just bcs a company can't profit from their region anymore.

Profit has nothing to do with it. If you can't sell your service in a certain region due to legal restrictions, you need to choose whether you want to discontinue the service or modify your service.

For the purposes of this case, it's highly likely that Nintendo does not want to have any chance of getting into legal troubles in the region if disgruntled players try to get around the system. In other words, shutting down the service entirely makes it clear that it's the player's fault if they try to get around the restrictions whereas providing a modified service makes it unclear if Nintendo has "done enough" to deter players from trying to get around the restrictions.

26 minutes ago, redlight said:

I understand that there'd be frustration with advantages/disadvantages, but that really falls on Nintendo for playing along with JP gacha standards overseas.

No, that falls on Belgium for not having the same standards as the supplier of the service. If I'm offering a service, I have every right to not offer it in a region where it is illegal to do so instead of making changes to the service to accommodate them.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Now the whole World and all gacha games need to follow suit and we are golden.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, that falls on Belgium for not having the same standards as the supplier of the service. If I'm offering a service, I have every right to not offer it in a region where it is illegal to do so.

no, it falls on nintendo because they could've changed the game to follow Belgian laws but they just decided to discontinue the service.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

no, it falls on nintendo because they could've changed the game to follow Belgian laws but they just decided to discontinue the service.

And risk legal trouble? Not worth it. I don't know how tough Belgium wants to be, but if they decide to be tough even just once, I wouldn't want to be on the business end of that stick.

You're talking about spending money (because employee time costs money) to change your service to accommodate people that can no longer pay for your service and that can get you in trouble with the government.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And risk legal trouble? Not worth it. I don't know how tough Belgium wants to be, but if they decide to be tough even just once, I wouldn't want to be on the business end of that stick.

You're talking about spending money (because employee time costs money) to change your service to accommodate people that can no longer pay for your service and that can get you in trouble with the government.

I’ve read on r/feh that another game, Apex Legends made it so that Belgian players need to buy skins ouright and “can’t roll the dice”. They also can’t buy battle passes (the same as orbs?). You can only get them through game content.

1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

I’ve read on r/feh that another game, Apex Legends made it so that Belgian players need to buy skins ouright and “can’t roll the dice”.

Skins don't give players competitive advantages.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I think it's a little unreasonable to expect Nintendo to modify a game that works the same way all around the world to satisfy the requests and restrictions of a single country. 

If a country made the use of Goombas in videogames illegal, do you think Nintendo would take the time to switch the Goombas model with another one, essentialy creating another version of the game for that country, or would they simply not sell Mario games in that country anymore?

7 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

If a country made the use of Goombas in videogames illegal, do you think Nintendo would take the time to switch the Goombas model with another one, essentialy creating another version of the game for that country, or would they simply not sell Mario games in that country anymore?

Uhhhhh, not exactly a result of legal disputes (I don't think they were technically legal at least) but they kinda did that already.

Topitrophy_beta.jpgSuper%20Smash%20Bros%20Melee_GALE01-5914

As a result of issues with Seal Clubbing in other regions, the Topis from Ice Climber, which in Japan appeared as the seal on the left, were replaced with the... weird midget beaked yeti on the right.

Edited by Xenomata

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Skins don't give players competitive advantages.

Then what if they made new units very pricey?

What if people could buy new units for the same price as the NY OC units (I know that people who bought those units also got other bonuses)? So every new unit for €74.99?

You buy a lot of orbs right? Is it reasonable to get +10 version of a new hero if you get the amount of orbs you would get for €824.89? 

11 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

I think it's a little unreasonable to expect Nintendo to modify a game that works the same way all around the world to satisfy the requests and restrictions of a single country. 

Depends on the reason. If for some reason a country were to call the goombas racist and get a lot of support then yes they would change them. Nintendo still likes to present them as a family friendly company after all.

Edited by Hekselka

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Uhhhhh, not exactly a result of legal disputes (I don't think they were technically legal at least) but they kinda did that already.

Topitrophy_beta.jpgSuper%20Smash%20Bros%20Melee_GALE01-5914

O.O oh wow. But to be fair this change wasn't for the sake of a single country, but for the sake of the rest of the world outside japan who didn't have seal enemies in Ice Climber.

14 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

essentialy creating another version of the game for that country,

Happened here with some non-nintendo games quite a while back. Just look up Command & Conquer Generals in Germany.

So yes, changing the game for one Country due to legal stuff does happen.

9 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Many games already do that, but those changes typically don't have any legal risk to them. If a player imports the game from another region to get around the changes, the publisher is very obviously not culpable.

Japan, for example, is more sensitive to depictions of dead bodies, and many games will tone down the appearance of human corpses in the Japanese release to accommodate that.

And then there's Germany.

6 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

You buy a lot of orbs right? Is it reasonable to get +10 version of a new hero if you get the amount of orbs you would get for 824.89€? 

Technically it is, but at the same time, you'd lose out on all of the other things that came with the +10, so it wouldn't be worth it, all things considered.

The average for sniping a character is about 800-1000 USD, which is about 700-900 EUR, but you'd also end up with a large number of pitybreakers (10 or more on average depending on the color) in the process as well as a ton of extra skill fodder.

Interesting change in Belgium. I think I'd be more inclined to play FEH if character getting wasn't so gatcha, nor needed for the improvement of other characters.

Just convert everything to one giant Grail Shop. Make Grails real plentiful and accessible for buying 3*s, less so 4*s, and make 5*s real expensive, with subsequent copies going ever higher in price. Still gives Pay to Players an edge.

Now what to do to replace Focus Rates? That is the thing I don't know what they should do about. Maybe reduced prices (but still high) on focus characters for a limited time? Gives incentive to spend now, even if it could cut into whale sales.

Seasonals can still exist, Dragalia Lost has moved certain limited time Wyrmprints in and out of its Wyrmprint Shop, which themselves used to be in the summoning pool until backlash led Cygames to remove them recently. 

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Technically it is, but at the same time, you'd lose out on all of the other things that came with the +10, so it wouldn't be worth it, all things considered.

The average for sniping a character is about 800-1000 USD, which is about 700-900 EUR, but you'd also end up with a large number of pitybreakers (10 or more on average depending on the color) in the process as well as a ton of extra skill fodder.

Hmmm, so if such a system were in place even with free story orbs and the like it would cost more for the Beglian players and they would miss out on fodder which is certainly important.

-------

Well it is what it is.

I'm a Belgian player and I'm personally not a fan of the practice behind gacha/lootboxes. I knew this was going to happen eventually and I'm fine with having these kind of laws even if it means having to give up on Heroes or other gacha games (I would have loved to play FGO one day). 

At least my phone's battery will be very happy. 

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

Hmmm, so if such a system were in place even with free story orbs and the like it would cost more for the Beglian players and they would miss out on fodder which is certainly important.

-------

Well it is what it is.

I'm a Belgian player and I'm personally not a fan of the practice behind gacha/lootboxes. I knew this was going to happen eventually and I'm fine with having these kind of laws even if it means having to give up on Heroes or other gacha games (I would have loved to play FGO one day). 

At least my phone's battery will be very happy. 

You can play FGO through qooapp. Just install qooapp with the apk

27 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So about Belgium. Shouldn't people...uh make a fuss about this? Because Nintendo removing the game seems kind of unreasonable and pety. There were surely more options availible.

We have already discussed this in this very topic.