Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

So, while farming feathers, I was wondering about the overclasses and promoted classes of Gaiden/SoV and how all the alts have been Celica and that the last non-alt Gaiden/SoV banner or unit introduction was last year with their double Alm's and Celica's Armies banner. We haven't even gotten a Gaiden/SoV GHB yet. One of the remaining swords from SoV is the Ladyblade and unless we want a fourth red and third sword-wielding, possibly infantry Celica, it should probably go to Delthea, Mae, Sonya, or Faye since she can be reclassed into a mage if you so wish. Unfortunately, we'd run into the more sword infantries as Priestesses and Enchantresses in SoV are infantry units who can only use black and white magic and swords. So, I wondered, would anyone object to them being given lances for Heroes? I guess I kind of associate people with the cloth with staves and in some faiths, they are trained in fighting with staves or spears and other polearms like the monk's spade. The monk's spade could totally be a new axe weapon they could introduce through a Hoshidan character. They could even make a Ladyspear if they wanted like they did with the Wing Spear. The other thing is that it would help in giving more lance infantry options.

This is totally not me trying to find options for Sonya alts. :p

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

42 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Yes.

I don’t see ANY problem about more tomes and swords. More variety, more better.

It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't make every new mage and sword infantry glass cannons and give almost every new mage gets Swift Sparrow because why not. I'm still waiting for more units like Arden, Bartre, Ogma, and Virion because having extreme physical bulk and/or offenses for absolute trash resistance is pretty neat or on the flipside, trash defense for attack and resistance like Delthea, Lucius, and Sanaki. They would have glaring weaknesses, but it'd be something different and it probably still sell if they give them stupid enough skills and weapons.

Now that I think about it, have we even gotten a new slow, bulky sword infantry? Because I can't think of anyone besides the launch units of Alfonse, Chrom, Hinata, Laslow, and the early addition of Seliph. Man, just give this bastard Helbindi's stats and let him wall everything with Silvia's Barrier Blade.

It also wouldn't be a problem if they would introduce more axe and lance infantry, summonable axe and sword fliers, and non-seasonal axe cavaliers, and freaking infantry healers because it's kind of dumb when the last infantry healers were Genny who's great, Mist who should have been demoted by now, and bride Lyn, a seasonal healer who introduced one of the stupidest skills in the game. With Gaiden/SoV, we're only guaranteed one lance infantry, Forsyth. That's if they decide not to promote him because armors sell. I also hope Atlas is an axe infantry or a freaking mage.

32 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Berkut’s Lance+ sure does exist.

Whoops, I forgot about him which is ironic considering he's in my queue for HM grinding.

4 hours ago, Kaden said:

Now that I think about it, have we even gotten a new slow, bulky sword infantry? Because I can't think of anyone besides the launch units of Alfonse, Chrom, Hinata, Laslow, and the early addition of Seliph. Man, just give this bastard Helbindi's stats and let him wall everything with Silvia's Barrier Blade.

To be fair, this is an issue with mainline FE historically speaking.

Sword Infantry classes have virtually always emphasized Speed. Even a "slowpoke", like Dieck, finds their Speed issues to be not so bad owing to a good base stat.

Similarly, Def had long been deemphasized for all units in FE. From 1-8, a Def growth breaking 30 was considered high. For Speed in those same games however, that would be at best average, more likely slow. It isn't until PoR (the Jugdral babygame was a prior exception) that Def growths exceeding 30 become more commonplace.

Low Resistance too was common in all those games, since Mages were in a sense, an "abnormal" unit type. Physical was the "normal" and much more common. Being able to target a much lower alternative durability stat- it was through this privilege that the "abnormal" Mages were not junk, but instead "special with a good purpose". Awakening and Fates have since "normalized" Magic users by drastically improving Res stats on most player and enemy units, and making magic classes more prolific and present in the enemy ranks.

Physically durable Mages in FE have been uncommon, they've always been oriented towards being some of the supposed few able to tank magic, and the only ones most the time able to do magical attacks.

Long story short, a history of statistical conservatism in mainline FE has held back unit variety in FEH to an extent.

This too can be found in unit types, Magic and Armor have barring those Jugdrali Barons, never occurred in mainline FE for an extreme example.

Holy **** +10 +Atk/-Def Sonya in Ostia pulse Team with quickened pulse, special spiral, death blow 4, glimmer and benefiting from Atk tactics (and the +2 atk blessing)  is a fucking monster one shoting red units left and right... +10 Zelgius np just nuke with Sonya, Ayra+10 np just one shot with Sonya. +10 Berkuts Lance Effie with wary fighter? np just one shot with Sonya (although she has color advantage there). +10 Myrrh? np just oneshot with Sonya +10 Baby tiki? np just oneshot with Sonya. If you fail to one shot them by some small HP? just RES ploy them into oblivion. She is basicly soloing +10 DC Armor/Dragon groups with any kind of color mix, its scary.

The more I think about the Duel skills the more I hate them.

Having a +Spd Helbindi already makes me want to sac him for Soren to build him up as a Support unit for Arena, but so much annoys me about this next to me having to lose the only copy of a unit. I only need a few more copies of Soren, which isn't too hard to achieve, so that's the smallest worry I have, but merging what I have now would already score better than my current core. While having no feather problems right now, it doesn't mean I can just +10 everyone; Eirika, A!Tiki, Leon and Sakura are already patiently waiting in line for their last merges before burning the feathers, so investing in Soren would make them wait a bit longer.

Then we have the problem of "Duel skills are trash for gameplay. When will the other 14 Duel skills appear? Will I be able to pull them? Do I even want Colorless Duel Infantry/Cavalry to exist? (It would make Arena unbearable)", meaning investing in Soren, when a better support might come along in the near future, would be a regretful investment (I like Soren, which is why he would be a candidate for my Arena core, but that doesn't mean I absolutely need to 5*+10 him.).

God, Arena sucks so much right now, I don't even know what to do without having massive doubts.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sword Infantry classes have virtually always emphasized Speed. Even a "slowpoke", like Dieck, finds their Speed issues to be not so bad owing to a good base stat.

Similarly, Def had long been deemphasized for all units in FE. From 1-8, a Def growth breaking 30 was considered high. For Speed in those same games however, that would be at best average, more likely slow. It isn't until PoR (the Jugdral babygame was a prior exception) that Def growths exceeding 30 become more commonplace.

Low Resistance too was common in all those games, since Mages were in a sense, an "abnormal" unit type. Physical was the "normal" and much more common. Being able to target a much lower alternative durability stat- it was through this privilege that the "abnormal" Mages were not junk, but instead "special with a good purpose". Awakening and Fates have since "normalized" Magic users by drastically improving Res stats on most player and enemy units, and making magic classes more prolific and present in the enemy ranks.

Physically durable Mages in FE have been uncommon, they've always been oriented towards being some of the supposed few able to tank magic, and the only ones most the time able to do magical attacks.

Long story short, a history of statistical conservatism in mainline FE has held back unit variety in FEH to an extent.

This too can be found in unit types, Magic and Armor have barring those Jugdrali Barons, never occurred in mainline FE for an extreme example.

Yeah, I get that, and the developers have tried to go away from this as evident with Chrom, Laslow, and Seliph being slow compared to in their home games, but what I would like is that sometimes we'd get a new unit who isn't this glass cannon with or without a legendary/personal weapon that lets them stand out somewhat. Because right now, the total offenses and speed war is kind of annoying with it feeling like 39 speed is slow even for PvE. Hello, 50 speed abyssal Marth who doubles +Spd Karla and 46 speed F!Grima. Yeah, you should probably use a mage against Marth or some high defense blue with Guard or Swordbreaker, but seriously, that's just a disgusting amount of speed.

And as I said, I'd also like some more extreme units of which Gaiden/SoV could give us for a sword infantry. For example, Kamui could show up with 47 HP, 33 Atk, 38 Spd, 28 Def, and 16 Res. Or they could make Gregor similar to Bartre, but stupider because gen 2 boosted stats. Could you imagine dealing with a sword unit with 49 HP, 38 Atk, 25 Spd, and 37 Def, and 13 Res if you didn't have a blue for some reason, a magic damage unit, or Felicia with her Plate? That hypothetical Gregor with Reprisal Sword would be obscene. That said, I would prefer it if Gregor was an axe infantry for the same reason Linus and Raven were made into axe infantries in Heroes. More mages with high defense over resistance would be refreshing too. Preferably a fast one since Boey, Henry, Odin, Reinhardt, and the Robins
 aren't particularly fast. Odin is, but he also doesn't have ~30 base neutral defense.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Holy **** +10 +Atk/-Def Sonya in Ostia pulse Team with quickened pulse, special spiral, death blow 4, glimmer and benefiting from Atk tactics (and the +2 atk blessing)  is a fucking monster one shoting red units left and right... +10 Zelgius np just nuke with Sonya, Ayra+10 np just one shot with Sonya. +10 Berkuts Lance Effie with wary fighter? np just one shot with Sonya (although she has color advantage there). +10 Myrrh? np just oneshot with Sonya +10 Baby tiki? np just oneshot with Sonya. If you fail to one shot them by some small HP? just RES ploy them into oblivion. She is basicly soloing +10 DC Armor/Dragon groups with any kind of color mix, its scary.

Could you bless me with your luck with Sonya? I need more of Sonya in my life.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Kaden Can one throw Ikes into that pool? I feel they fit that criteria perfectly.

To be fair I appreciate the efforts the developpers have made to diversify classes, stat bases and growths. They've constructed stereotypes on classes (or perhaps weapons, themeselves) but with the latest entries they've added units that deviate from this standard:

Swords: Gerrik, Gregor, Dieck, Laslow, Meg.

Lances (they're mostly all around, though): Syrene, Farina, Sigrun, Gatrie, Fiona

Axes: Nolan, Rinkah (?), Barst, Titania, Jill.

Tomes/Staves: Moulder, Pent, Renault, Tormod (RD), Bastian, Pelleas (to some extent), Odin.

Other classes like Thief and Archer have been kind of consistent all along, and mostly show variations depending on the unit's gender.

I really have high expectations on FE Three Houses regarding class variations and stat distribution, I want to see bits of everything: slow bulky sword users, bulky mages/priests, fast axe users, etc.

12 minutes ago, Othin said:

Ugh, the new Grounds has that one really obnoxious level with NY Azura and Camilla. As the second map, too.

I cleared it with my bunch of fliers pretty easily. I lured Azura with LnD 3 Innes, the Brave Lance peg moved left of her and Camilla right on the back, and the mage moved near. By next turn, Innes one shotted the mage (Moonbow triggered), Ryoma killed Azura and Shigure (Fortified, water blessing and def refinement) swap tanked Camilla and the peg. Ryoma was swapped by Shigure and Repositioned by Elincia.

I’m pretty confident we’ll see a preview for 2.10 since every other day of the week we’re having an event or banner, and I’m sure in order to not take attention from those they’ll rather have the preview on its own. 

22 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I’m pretty confident we’ll see a preview for 2.10 since every other day of the week we’re having an event or banner, and I’m sure in order to not take attention from those they’ll rather have the preview on its own. 

They usually do those later in the month, right? And 9/30 also looks clear.

29 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

To be fair I appreciate the efforts the developpers have made to diversify classes, stat bases and growths. They've constructed stereotypes on classes (or perhaps weapons, themeselves) but with the latest entries they've added units that deviate from this standard:

Swords: Gerrik, Gregor, Dieck, Laslow, Meg.

Lances (they're mostly all around, though): Syrene, Farina, Sigrun, Gatrie, Fiona

Axes: Nolan, Rinkah (?), Barst, Titania, Jill.

Tomes/Staves: Moulder, Pent, Renault, Tormod (RD), Bastian, Pelleas (to some extent), Odin.

Other classes like Thief and Archer have been kind of consistent all along, and mostly show variations depending on the unit's gender.

I really have high expectations on FE Three Houses regarding class variations and stat distribution, I want to see bits of everything: slow bulky sword users, bulky mages/priests, fast axe users, etc.

I agree I like the effort they've been making to diversify stat spreads, thinking on this actually made me realize this fault more, something which I'm happy Awakening and Fates sought to fix, and hope continues to try to be remedied. How wasn't it attempted sooner?

About Rinkah, she's an oddball. Her class's caps, bases, and growths are oriented towards high Str and Def, with low Luck and Spd. But her growths are oriented towards Skl, Spd, and Def. There is something of an inherent clash in her. Her Def is always good, but her poor Str, and high Skl and Spd conflict with the class's natural orientations. The result is Rinkah isn't as fast or accurate as her growths would suggest. Her Str, well Fiery Blood fixes the stat more than people would think, but it still isn't great, and would only get worse if you reclassed her for more Speed. She ends up largely balanced, save high Def and garbage HP and Res, but it isn't an "amazing balanced" the way things like Cavs in many games end up being, it's a mediocre balanced. Or so I think. Higher bases would've really helped her.

I'd also add Benny to your Lance suggestions, he might be very very slow and very very physically tanky as tradition says, but unlike so many past Armor units, he has solid Res, not as amazing as his Def, but he some Mixed Walling potential.

In the Axe category, I think Lot from FE6 deserves a mention:

Spoiler
20 60 20.8 19.8 21.6 12.8 21.4 6.4
Higher Caps /60 /30 /26 /24 /30 /28 /20

Fast for a Warrior, tanky Def by FE6 standards, and low Str.

And for Archers, well Ronan and his 15 Str, and 55 Mag/Res growths is worthy of being noted the exception.

2 hours ago, Kaden said:

More mages with high defense over resistance would be refreshing too. Preferably a fast one since Boey, Henry, Odin, Reinhardt, and the Robins
 aren't particularly fast. Odin is, but he also doesn't have ~30 base neutral defense.

Hmm...

How about old Gotoh?

His original FE1 stats:

HP 38 Str 10 Spd 20 Lck 16 Def 15 Res 7

That is two from capped HP. Capped Speed. Five from cap Def, and the only unit to have Res innately in all of FE1. His Str is meaningless, since in FE1, magic damage is based purely on Tome Mt, that Str (and a separate Mag stat didn't exist yet) is therefore junk. 

This to me suggests a low Atk, high Spd and physical durability build for him. Although sadly, Gotoh would be lucky to get in the day before FEH shuts down.

Maybe they could something with Hugh too. Hugh is characterized statistically as stronger but slower than Lugh, faster and more accurate but weaker than Lilina. He also has less Res than either of them, yet a few more Def (15.8, 5 more than Lugh- the higher of the other two) and a downright bulky 48 HP (9 higher than Lugh).

For the sake of family reunification, I'd want him in, but sadly, I again doubt his time will come at all.

9 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Thanks to the power of impulse purchases, I have gotten precious Inigo~ Sadly he's -Atk, but being +Def did help while I was grinding him up~ I guess I'm doomed to always have -Atk Green Tomes~

Good for you! And hey, -Atk means not so much on a unit who can just toss another one their turn.

He's tempting, but Seasonals, even the good looking ones, are an absolute no for me. It's free to see them online, and for anything special, absence makes the heart grow fonder for it, and it stays special that way.

I wonder where he put your money though.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good for you! And hey, -Atk means not so much on a unit who can just toss another one their turn.

He's tempting, but Seasonals, even the good looking ones, are an absolute no for me. It's free to see them online, and for anything special, absence makes the heart grow fonder for it, and it stays special that way.

I wonder where he put your money though.

True, I at least tried to compensate by giving him Darting Blow so he can double more if he has to attack~

But how can you resist THE ART? NGL, there's some units I want just because I love their art even if I never cared much for the character (and plenty whose games I haven't even played yet OTL) IS knows how to get me with the Seasonals, SMH

Hope he used it to take Ethlyn, Lachesis, and S!Corrin to dinner since they kept his fragile ass alive

54 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I agree I like the effort they've been making to diversify stat spreads, thinking on this actually made me realize this fault more, something which I'm happy Awakening and Fates sought to fix, and hope continues to try to be remedied. How wasn't it attempted sooner?

I think they've always striven to do so, and each iteration has it, to a lesser extent. If we check same class units that per game like Barst/Bord/Cord, Wade/Lott, Geese/Gonzales, Dorcas/Bartre/Dart, Boyd/Nolan, one can easily find the character that fits better the class standard (high HP/Str/Con unit) vs the one that is either all around or excels at specific stats. As such, I think that what helped these variations be more present was the ability the company to listen to the public through internet, and the implementation of the Reclass system.

Rinkah's case reminds me of Nolan, with the difference that Nolan has kind of high Res for a fighter. Nolan is basically a myrmidon with an axe with the caps of a Reaver.

Now regarding the game, Idk why but is Forging Bonds trolling me? I get a focus unit but all the points go for the others. Really? I got Libra and all the points went to Sumia, I got Vero and Hector and all the point went to Celica, now I have Nina and all the points go to Flora, the heck!

2 hours ago, Othin said:

Ugh, the new Grounds has that one really obnoxious level with NY Azura and Camilla. As the second map, too.

I cleared it with Sharena, Alfonse, Faye, and Deirdre. Sharena tanks (and kills) shit all day, even Azura! Supersonic Camilla is obnoxious, though. I had to literally gang up on her to take her down.

8 hours ago, Hilda said:

Do you think she would be able to pull that off with the new arena A-Skill instead of death blow? 

/Edit: Big news in the notifications: We can preregister for GC now! 

Edited by mampfoid

This week on Heroes:

• Tuesday - Banner with Swift Sparrow: Ayra, Ishtar and Lewyn are a trap for me, but I'm still in orb collection mode.
  • Wednesday - Grand Conquest: more Coins are always good
  • Thursday - Saias rerun: He's actually not terrible, but I still have him only as 4* lv.40. We'll see what we can get
  • Friday - Legendary hero: another orb trap possibly. Looking forward to it. When do you think the trailer comes?

Grand Conquest preregistration. Whopdedoo. Guess I'll try emblem team challenges for the second GHB cycle as well as blessing specific battles for the first cycle. I'm bored

Ugh, so out of the 14 days of Forging Bonds, only 5 actual days are clear of any other chores, and if I don't get most of it done in the next couple days, then I'll have to do both at the same time since they end on the same day. And that's before I clean up the rest of the monthly quests, which is most of them. This event pileup has been awful for me, as if I wasn't already suffering from burnout.

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Do you think she would be able to pull that off with the new arena A-Skill instead of death blow? 

/Edit: Big news in the notifications: We can preregister for GC now! 

against reds? no she would lack then 4-5 points of dmg to kill agsinst blue definitly and green too, glimmer deathblow 4 is 12 dmg lost which is kinda huge

i would need to run a double drive atk marth with rally atk+ to make up for the loss (replaceing karel and his atk tactics)

Edited by Hilda