Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Since keystrokes are all that really matter these days, Japanese still wins by having on average fewer than 2 keystrokes per character and fewer than 1/2 the number of characters.

Not to mention it's hard to count strokes on hiragana characters (which are effectively speaking cursive in nature) and Latin characters (which don't have actual rules for where one stroke ends and another begins).

As someone who teaches children to write Latin characters I can confirm that there are rules to writing Latin characters (rules I myself frequently break because I'm left handed), they're just not something anyone but a first grader need concern themselves with.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

As someone who teaches children to write Latin characters I can confirm that there are rules to writing Latin characters (rules I myself frequently break because I'm left handed), they're just not something anyone but a first grader need concern themselves with.

There are rules to writing Latin characters, but no rules as to what counts as a single stroke. Furthermore, because Latin characters can have multiple equivalent forms with different stroke counts (the letter z and numeral 7 with and without a middle stroke, the uppercase letters I and J with and without serifs, etc.), it's not even a definite number of strokes per character.

In contrast, Chinese characters have very rigid definitions of what is and isn't a single stroke, in part because dictionaries need to know the exact number of strokes in a character for ordering and indexing purposes, and characters do not have multiple equivalent forms in the same way Latin characters do (different forms are typically considered different characters, though they may have identical pronunciation and meaning).

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There are rules to writing Latin characters, but no rules as to what counts as a single stroke. Furthermore, because Latin characters can have multiple equivalent forms with different stroke counts (the letter z and numeral 7 with and without a middle stroke, the uppercase letters I and J with and without serifs, etc.), it's not even a definite number of strokes per character.

In contrast, Chinese characters have very rigid definitions of what is and isn't a single stroke, in part because dictionaries need to know the exact number of strokes in a character for ordering and indexing purposes, and characters do not have multiple equivalent forms in the same way Latin characters do (different forms are typically considered different characters, though they may have identical pronunciation and meaning).

Oh yes, I didn't intend to suggest they were of equivalence. I know there's particular importance for stroke order in kanji.

I'm disappointed by the accessories this time round. The teddy bear looks really bad and I doubt the bird's nest would look any better. I'd rather the ears or scarves or tails, if they could find a way to make them work, rather than yet another stupid item randomly placed on someone's head ><

I do like the fox accessories, at least. We got some ears and the hair ornaments are usually nice :)

Edited by Cute Chao

12 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I'm disappointed by the accessories this time round. The teddy bear looks really bad and I doubt the bird's nest would look any better. I'd rather the ears or scarves or tails, if they could find a way to make them work, rather than yet another stupid item randomly placed on someone's head ><

You... expected something else from Keaton and Velouria?

28 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

You... expected something else from Keaton and Velouria?

I was kind of hopeful. I don't like the accessories that are just a random item dumped on someone's head. It never looks good, imo. 

That being said, others like them, so something for everyone ^.^''

I do mourn not having wolf (or kitty, but that's from another time) ears, though :( I adore the animal ear and wing accessories ^.^

Edited by Cute Chao

Best Fates boy not named Ryoma got a new toy!

cFOCor1.png

Courtesy of a random Surtr. Well worth it, Surtr sucks. I've sacrificed three 5 star units for this guy, but it's totally worth it. He's now sometimes tankier than Freddy! And he's proud, because I headcanon these two have a mentor/student relationship. :3 Though because of OTP business, Silas has a support with Summer Corrin (which I see I still have to finish. lol oops). And Freddy still has his with legendary Ephraim for gameplay.

But go break all your non-magic weapons on this lovely knight! :D

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Best Fates boy not named Ryoma got a new toy!

cFOCor1.png

Courtesy of a random Surtr. Well worth it, Surtr sucks. I've sacrificed three 5 star units for this guy, but it's totally worth it. He's now sometimes tankier than Freddy! And he's proud, because I headcanon these two have a mentor/student relationship. :3 Though because of OTP business, Silas has a support with Summer Corrin (which I see I still have to finish. lol oops). And Freddy still has his with legendary Ephraim for gameplay.

But go break all your non-magic weapons on this lovely knight! :D

People can still double your Silas. I think my Myrrh does it better.

lOjpN58.png

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

lOjpN58.png

...But their Spd stats are literally the same. So I don't get your point. And I'm not trying to compete with anyone, just build a top favorite character. :/

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

...But their Spd stats are literally the same. So I don't get your point. And I'm not trying to compete with anyone, just build a top favorite character. :/

Myrrh's weapon prevents the enemy from doubling if their defense is five lower than hers (which it almost certainly will be on enemy phase with 49 effective defense).

lOjpN58.png

lOjpN58.png

...But their Spd stats are literally the same. So I don't get your point.

Myrrh's weapon prevents the enemy from doubling if their defense is five lower than hers (which it almost certainly will be on enemy phase with 49 effective defense).

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And I'm not trying to compete with anyone, just build a top favorite character. :/

I know. I just thought it was fun we had the exact same ABC skill set up on two different characters.

And I'm not trying to compete with anyone, just build a top favorite character. :/

I know. I just thought it was fun we had the exact same ABC skill set up on two different characters.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So what? Doesn't matter if Silas is taking zero damage. Besides, getting doubled just means he gets his special off faster.

I still think it was rude of you to just go "nah mine's better!" and rain on my parade like that.

Edited by Anacybele

Now that I got him I like Keaton so far, Julius also agrees that I should rather use Keaton than Reinhardt. 

He also made me realize that Brave Lucina is a nice match for a mixed team with beasts. She cannot repair his speed though.

10 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit: Feels weird that she's recommending this from a defense team perspective, though. Since you do need a fair bit of good positioning over multiple turns to truly leverage how absurd they are.

I made that mistake on my first read, but I don't think she means a defense team. She means an offense team that uses a defensive strategy.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So what? Doesn't matter if Silas is taking zero damage. Besides, getting doubled just means he gets his special off faster.

I still think it was rude of you to just go "nah mine's better!" and rain on my parade like that.

Chill Ana. I was just doing the same thing as you, sharing a build I like because we have similarities. Wasn't meant to be a challenge.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, you've posted that like four times now. The server being weird for you?

Yep -_-

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Chill Ana. I was just doing the same thing as you, sharing a build I like because we have similarities. Wasn't meant to be a challenge.

Sure, and that's fine and all. You just didn't need to say "my Myrrh does it better" you could've just pointed out the similar builds. I'm not angry though, I just thought you were a tad rude. No biggie. :P

I'm just going to throw out there...

Poor Nailah :(  The other two new beast infantry get the infantry boost, but she doesn't?  All she gets is equally distributed stats if you spend dragon flowers on her.  I guess that's the price for the laguz coming out first, but still sad.

(Would it have been so bad to add five points to all pre-Gen 3 infantry where it would make sense to add them?  Or, just add five evenly distributed points like we can get from dragon flowers?  Then you wouldn't have to invest an insane amount of dragon flowers to get infanty units to where IS obviously thinks that should be anyway...)

Some speculation about upcoming banners if we don't get anything else weird in the way:

• Early March: Binding Blade banner (Ch5)
  • Late March: Spring banner
  • Early April: Path of Radiance banner (Ch6)
  • Late April: Awakening banner (Ch7)
  • Early May: Fates banner (Ch8)
  • Late May: Wedding banner
  • Early June: Blazing Sword banner (Ch9)
  • Late June: Summer banner
  • Early July: Summer banner
  • Late July: Genealogy banner (Ch10)
  • Early August: Three Houses banner (Ch11)
  • Late August: CYL3 banner
  • Early September: Dancer banner
  • Late September: Three Houses banner (Ch12)
  • Early October: Halloween banner
  • Late October: Three Houses banner (Ch13)
  • Early November: Book 3 OCs banner
  • Late November: Brave Redux banner
  • Early December: Book 3 OCs banner
  • Mid December: Christmas banner
  • Late December: New Year's banner
  • Early January: Start of Book 4

If Book 3 is 13 chapters like the other two, the slightly slower start will push its end slightly later than Book 2's.

Three Houses will launch at the end of July, and probably get three banners pretty fast, one for each house. The dancer banner gets bumped to the Year 1 slot to make room for the first Three Houses banner in its Year 2 slot: might not work out if they didn't get the news about the delay far enough in advance, but I think they did.

Two OC banners again seems pretty likely, especially with how many OCs we're getting already. I put one in December because it's kind of weird with wanting to have both Christmas and New Year's banners later in the month, and we've gotten a three-banner month both previous years so far.

Unfortunately, the way events have been getting arranged suggests a drought of non-Three Houses banners later in the year. FE4/7/9/13/14 seem like the most likely candidates to get some attention in the meantime to me. Not sure about the order.

Edited by Othin