FE Heroes Localized Names

Azure Sen

Hey everyone! I've been working on a list for some of the name changes the FE Heroes site gives for easy reference, along with their mythological origins if there are any. This list is a work in progress, and I'd appreciate it if you let me know if I got anything wrong or missed anything.

Genealogy of the Holy War

• Ferry -> Erinys (another word for Fury, one of the Furies or Erinyes, Greek goddesses of vengeance)
  • Radney -> Creidne (should be Creidhne; Irish female warrior)
  • Holyn -> Chulainn (should be Cuchulainn or Cu Chulainn; Irish hero of legend)
  • Sharloe -> Charlot (fictional version of Charles the Younger, son of Charlamange)
  • Roddlevan -> Dalvin
  • Azel -> Azelle
  • Femina -> Hermina
  • Dimna -> Deimne (childhood name of Fionn mac Cumhaill, Irish hero of legend)
  • Delmud -> Diarmuid (Irish mythological warrior)
  • Noish -> Naoise (Irish mythological figure)
  • Adean -> Edain (Irish mythological heroine)
  • Midayle -> Midir (Irish mythological hero, husband of Edain)
  • Faval -> Febail (Irish mythological figure, father of Bran mac Febail)
  • Leen -> Lene
  • Johan -> Iuchar (Irish mythological figure, son of Burian)
  • Johalva ->  Iucharba (Irish mythological figure, son of Burian)
  • Mana -> Muirne (Irish mythological heroine, mother of Fionn mac Cumhail)
  • Gandolf -> Munnir
  • Scopio -> Scipio
  • Andorey -> Andrey
  • Mahnya -> Annand
  • Kinbois -> Cimbaeth (Irish high king who ruled in rotation with his two brothers)
  • Janne -> Jeanne
  • Ctuzof -> Kutuzov
  • Raquesis -> Lachesis (Greek goddess, one of the three Fates along with Atropos and Clotho)
  • Langobalt -> Lombard
  • Tailto -> Tailtiu (Irish goddess associated with agriculture)
  • Tinny -> Tine
  • Sylvia -> Silvia

Thracia 776

• Asvel -> Asbel
  • Conomore -> Conomor
  • Dagda -> Dagdar
  • Dean -> Deen
  • Eryios -> Ilios (name for the city of Troy)
  • Orsin -> Osian
  • Pirn/Pahn -> Perne
  • Selfina -> Selphina
  • Trewd/Trude -> Troude

Binding Blade

• Astohl -> Astolfo (a legendary figure from the tales of Charlemagne)
  • Barth/Bath -> Barthe
  • Brunya -> Brunnya
  • Elphin -> Elffin
  • Wendy ->Gwendolyn (the name of Merlin's wife in some versions of Arthurian legend)
  • Lalum -> Larum
  • Murdock -> Marduk (patron god of the city of Babylon; also Murdock's Japanese name)*
  • Milady -> Melady
  • Niime -> Nimue (one of the two Ladies of the Lake in Le Morte d'Arthur)*
  • Yodel -> Yoder
  • Zelots -> Zelot

Gaiden

• Dyute -> Delthea
  • Dozer -> Desaix
  • Fols -> Forsyth
  • Jenny -> Genny
  • Geyse -> Greith
  • Jesey -> Jesse
  • Qulyf/Cliff -> Kliff
  • Leo -> Leon
  • Luka -> Lukas
  • Machilda/Matilda -> Mathilda
  • Silk -> Silque
  • Teeta -> Tatiana
  • Robin -> Tobin

New Mystery of the Emblem

• Ellerean -> Arlen
  • Kleine/Kuraine -> Clarisse
  • Yubello -> Jubelo
  • Mallesia -> Marisha
  • Feena -> Phina
  • Leiden -> Reiden
  • Robert -> Roberto
  • Rody -> Roderick
  • Raian -> Ryan
  • Samto -> Samuel
  • Yumina -> Yuliya
  • Sheema -> Sheena

*These names were recently changed back to their old common translations.

Edited by AzureSen

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amused that after changing FE14 Leon to Leo they then change FE2 Leo to Leon. Not that I'm complaining, it's just funny.

Also it's worth noting that Blazing Sword is now officially Blazing Blade.

Interesting stuff, thanks for this!

I love Holyn -> Chulainn tbh; the only ones I really have a problem with are Johan and Johalva. They were such cool names! Also;

1 minute ago, BreadLord said:

I am amused that after changing FE14 Leon to Leo they then change FE2 Leo to Leon. Not that I'm complaining, it's just funny.

Was gonna say this. The ol' switcheroo. I'll still never understand why they changed his name to Leo as well as Xander's.

8 minutes ago, BreadLord said:

Yes. So now it's Binding Blade and Blazing Blade.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Thanks for the corrections! I rewrote that bit to be more clear as to singular vs. plural.

Edited by AzureSen

11 minutes ago, BreadLord said:

Funny how you mention that because I wonder how they're going to do Selena from Sacred Stones and Severa under the name Selena in Fates...

Just now, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Funny how you mention that because I wonder how they're going to do Selena from Sacred Stones and Severa under the name Selena in Fates...

They don't appear to be changing any names that were already localized, so they'll both stay the same.

Erm. . .almost. The Erinyes are another name for the Furies which are an indeterminate number of Greek goddesses!  Sort of like how Hera (Greek) is also Juno (Roman), who is Zeus/Jupiter's wife.

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Erm. . .almost. The Erinyes are another name for the Furies which are an indeterminate number of Greek goddesses!  Sort of like how Hera (Greek) is also Juno (Roman), who is Zeus/Jupiter's wife.

I changed it again, is that better?

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Yes, that works!  The Furies thing is a little weird, but I think it's a pretty clever name change on the localization team's part!

Yeah, I do too. Plus I think Erinys is just a nicer name than Fury and sounds more like a name someone would have, honestly.

Edited by AzureSen

4 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

I don't think some of these names are mispelled as much as they were slightly changed intentionally, like with Mars -> Marth. Fire Emblem tends to do that sometimes. They really went full Gaelic on FE4.

Mars was most likely never the intended name, given that the only source to ever give his name as that was the crappy OVA from the 90s that wasn't even localized by Nintendo, but by ADV Films, and that "Marth" was showing up as his name as early as the old TCG before being finalized in Melee.

1 minute ago, AzureSen said:

Mars was most likely never the intended name, given that the only source to ever give his name as that was the crappy OVA from the 90s that wasn't even localized by Nintendo, but by ADV Films, and that "Marth" was showing up as his name as early as the old TCG before being finalized in Melee.

Indeed. That trend I mentioned probably comes from japan. Names like Tailto instead of Tailtiu were intentional in it's origin, for instance.

15 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

Indeed. That trend I mentioned probably comes from japan. Names like Tailto instead of Tailtiu were intentional in it's origin, for instance.

That is not an intentional trend, that is poor romanization due to the ambiguity of what sounds katakana is supposed to represent. It's the same reason why Sigurd's name in kata was romanized as Siguld for some time; the question of how to translate r sounds (and the people who did the translating into kata not being the same people who romanized it back into English).

Edited by AzureSen

2 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

That is not an intentional trend, that is poor romanization due to the ambiguity of what sounds katakana is supposed to represent. 

They must have read the names in English first before making Katakana. Moreover most names reflect the original pronunciation of the names rather than the English, for instance "Sukasaha" from Scathach, so they must at least know that much. I wouldn't take it out as a possibility that the names were deliberate.

It's hard to know these days whether IntSys is incompetent at times or just being silly, eh?

FoSt3Z.jpg
duDgv6.jpg
YEifMZ.jpg
LQtENg.jpg

zvbdZG.jpg

FE2: Amazingly Tozeh had a huge change along with Silk, Dyute, Ryuto, Gareth, Fols, Robin.

FE3: Ellerean, Yubello, Malicia, Feena, Yumina had amazing changes. Ju would make sense with Yu. Malicia wass a total surprise. Feena was a total surprise. We had our pronunciation wrong with her. -.- Yumina took me by surprise.

FE4: Mahanya, Azel, Blume, Briggid, Sety, Sharlow, Holyn, The Brigand(Don't know names of lowly scum), Corple, Radney, Skasaher, Dimma, Delmudd, Aideen, Ferry, Faval, Femina, Janne, Raquesis, Leen, Langbart, Johan, Johalva, Mana, Brigand#2, Noish, Oifeye, Tiltyu, and Teeny are changed. Though the ones in bold took me by surprise. Ferry was as it should be as she is named after what eggclipse pointed out already! Blume was mispronounced over the years as he is named after a flower division. Sety's change is still buggin as end of Forseti would have been better to name him Seti. -.- Raquesis...we've been had had. >=[ They didn't want to name her after a god.

FE5: Asvel, Eyrios, Oswin, Trude were the only surprising ones.

FE6: Ashtol, Deke, Effin, Wendy, Lalum, Murdock, Rutoga but Dieck and Rutgar were unchanged! But...why were their names different in SSBB? Larum is done as she really is sorta out of this world and in her own. =P Wendy's was totally surprising. Murdock's was changed. Why? This takes back every script written in FE7. :/

4 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

Hide contents

FoSt3Z.jpg

duDgv6.jpg

YEifMZ.jpg

LQtENg.jpg

zvbdZG.jpg

FE2: Amazingly Tozeh had a huge change along with Silk, Dyute, Ryuto, Gareth, Fols, Robin.

FE3: Ellerean, Yubello, Malicia, Feena, Yumina had amazing changes. Ju would make sense with Yu. Malicia wass a total surprise. Feena was a total surprise. We had our pronunciation wrong with her. -.- Yumina took me by surprise.

FE4: Mahanya, Azel, Blume, Briggid, Sety, Sharlow, Holyn, The Brigand(Don't know names of lowly scum), Corple, Radney, Skasaher, Dimma, Delmudd, Aideen, Ferry, Faval, Femina, Janne, Raquesis, Leen, Langbart, Johan, Johalva, Mana, Brigand#2, Noish, Oifeye, Tiltyu, and Teeny are changed. Though the ones in bold took me by surprise. Ferry was as it should be as she is named after what eggclipse pointed out already! Blume was mispronounced over the years as he is named after a flower division. Sety's change is still buggin as end of Forseti would have been better to name him Seti. -.- Raquesis...we've been had had. >=[ They didn't want to name her after a god.

FE5: Asvel, Eyrios, Oswin, Trude were the only surprising ones.

FE6: Ashtol, Deke, Effin, Wendy, Lalum, Murdock, Rutoga but Dieck and Rutgar were unchanged! But...why were their names different in SSBB? Larum is done as she really is sorta out of this world and in her own. =P Wendy's was totally surprising. Murdock's was changed. Why? This takes back every script written in FE7. :/

What the... yes what is with those changes in FE6 xD...

Also amazing work compiling the pics!

Murdock from FE7 is listed as Marduk, which makes me question how much of this is actually going to be USED in Heroes.

same with the Gaiden names and Echoes. What happens if names from this start getting thrown out the window, and even moreso if they stick to the Awakening names in Heroes? =\

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

3 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Murdock from FE7 is listed as Marduk, which makes me question how much of this is actually going to be USED in Heroes.

Marduk was his original Japanese name and, to be blunt, he only showed up for five seconds in FE7; the idea that IntSys would give him a new localized name isn't out of the realm of possibility. And with Wendy showing up as Gwendolyn in the gameplay trailer, there's a good chance these names will in fact be used.