In the original Gaiden, some, but not all, of the classes had three tiers, notable the Knight, Mercenary, Archer and Cavalier lines. Could the magic users, Pegasus knights, our two lords and any others be able to have three tiers? Could new (and modern) classes be added? Could branching promotion aside from the Villagers be included? 

Gaiden had a very limited amount of classes, with no wyverns, shamans, thieves, or ax-users. Unless they plan on an extremely minimal class system, they are probably going to have to add some new classes, in which case it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add branching/third-tier promotions. Since they're already highlighting the divide between the games two main regions, I wouldn't be surprised if they did what Fates did and had classes specific to the different kingdoms. 

However, I don't expect this game to be anything like Fates. I would be interested in seeing them bring back linear promotions and a lot of other elements from older games make a comeback, just to shake up the gameplay a bit.

Oh, and I am TOTALLY in favor of renaming Generals "Barons".

Agreed on the last bit.

And I'd like to see them add some of the modern classes. Like, say, this:

Let's say we promote Kamui (an early-game villager, nor Corrin) to a Mercenary. Then you have three options for a promotion from that: Continue down the Mercenary line with Hero, trade some durability and punch for speed and accuracy as a Myrmidon, or add some out-of-combat skills with Thief. Something like that would be nice.

The main thing I could see them doing is inserting Archsage and Seraph Knight, or equivalents, to make it so all of the class lines have parity.

I'd like them to add Fighter/Warrior/Reaver and consolidate the Dark Magic classes (Witch, Shaman, and Sorcerer) into some playable line, too, but I won't be too bothered if they don't and don't expect them to do so. And even if they don't add Fighter, as long as we get multiple weapon choices, they can always add them as a weapon option for Heroes/Dreads, Barons, and/or Gold Knights.

Edited by Iridium

I'd imagine some characters will get a new class, just for the sake of diversity. Since there's quite a few regular mages, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them were changed into Dark Mages because it would fit their personality and role in the story better as well as have more class diversity. Although it seems like they stuck to the original game mechanics of Gaiden, I have a feeling they'll change the classes around on some characters and update the game in a couple of aspects, which can be a really good thing. 

For example, I would change the character Dyute...

Spoiler

...from a mage to a dark mage because she starts off as an enemy you later recruit. Her character's role in the war followed an evil sorcerer's plan, so making her a Dark Mage would be fitting. 

There's definitely Light and Dark magic coming back. I saw Celica attacking with a light spell on that zombie dragon. I like class diversity, so I hope that we'll get come new classes to spruce up the gameplay. 

29 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

so would alm be a dread fighter in this game?  with tomes and axes?  i know nothing about gaiden beyond the awakening dlc. 

Unlikely. Alm started swords only and promoted to use bows as well in Gaiden, which is something I would think likely won't change. Dread fighter was the third tier generic sword-using class, which Awakening gave access to axes and tomes too. DLC Alm just had since it was from his home game. However, I could see them doing something of a hybrid with it if they want to base it off of the Awakening canon a bit more and having Alm's promoted class be more inspired by that.

Similarly, I wonder if Alm and Celica will be given a third tier class as well. I would guess not, but we don't necessarily know what major changes are occurring.

^^ Uh what makes you think that's a "light magic" spell? Well in any meaningful context anyway, of course it looks "lighty" but to start there's a effective against monsters black magic spell called Angel in the original. (Learned by the appropriate character quite early on) And there are "darky" spells in there too. 

Though I was thinking about that spell's animation, are the runes used the healing ones or am I just tired and crazy? 

Edited by goodperson707

It's interesting to hear people say there are no axes in Gaiden. The truth is that there is no recruitable classes with axes. Bandits have axes in the first portion of of the game. Who knows, they might add a character that is like Gonzales from FE6

34 minutes ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

It's interesting to hear people say there are no axes in Gaiden. The truth is that there is no recruitable classes with axes. Bandits have axes in the first portion of of the game. Who knows, they might add a character that is like Gonzales from FE6

FE11/12 dramatically increased the number of classes with axes from the originals, so I don't think a lack of playable axes in the original Gaiden says anything.

On the topic of magic in Gaiden, there wasn't really a anima/light/dark magic system as we know it today from FE 6-8 and 10. (Maybe forgetting other instances.) Instead all spells were either black or white magic, more comparable to early Final Fantasy. White covered all healing spells, and utility like summons and warp. Black covered all offensive spells, anima, dark, and light. 

However, there were some spells of both black and white variety that belonged to enemy only shaman/summoner like classes. So there is precedent for them to make some characters into "Dark Mages" or introduce new playable ones, much like Dandy Druid discussed before. 

I personally think that the introduction of the Witch class in fates as playable through dlc supports this, but it could easily mean nothing.  

I hope they keep it the same. I think it's really interesting with the "lopsided" chart.

I also doubt they'll be adding new classes. We already saw a new character "Effie", and she's a Female Villager rather than anything new.

I'm also doubting Witches because a playable witch in this game would absolutely break it with how Warp mechanics work. It's different in Fates because the Witch is optional and behind a paywall, but having it be part of the main game would pretty much invalidate map design.

16 minutes ago, Ema Skye said:

I hope they keep it the same. I think it's really interesting with the "lopsided" chart.

I also doubt they'll be adding new classes. We already saw a new character "Effie", and she's a Female Villager rather than anything new.

I'm also doubting Witches because a playable witch in this game would absolutely break it with how Warp mechanics work. It's different in Fates because the Witch is optional and behind a paywall, but having it be part of the main game would pretty much invalidate map design.

The first new characters in Shadow Dragon are Freyr and Norne, both of whom use existing classes. That didn't stop them from adding Myrmidon/Swordmaster, Warrior, Berserker, Dark Mage/Sorcerer, and Sage, as well as applying various tweaks like making axes available for Hero and Dracoknight.

Fates Witches didn't just not invalidate map design by being DLC-locked; they also did it by having a very different and much more restricted warp ability. And an alternate "Dark Mage" class wouldn't even need to have that.

Edited by Othin

I could see some sort of "Witch DLC" that could come a few weeks/months after release. The class would definitely not be available during the primary campaign since Warp would be better suited in the enemy's hands (for an added challenge).  I bet Warp will function like it did in Fates, which is much more balanced. 

Edited by Leif

I would also like to see the marksman put into Gaiden. The last promote for the archer is Bow Knight, and while that is nice to have a mounted character, I also wouldn't mind the option to not be mounted. Not really a big deal though.

Edited by Tolvir

On 1/21/2017 at 8:15 AM, Ema Skye said:

You do recruit a witch in the original Gaiden but she turns into an ordinary mage in the player's hand for no adequately explained reason. That's the kind of thing you could get away with in the NES days but it's the sort of thing people would find strange and annoying now a days. They'd either have to go with a lazy plot justification (she can't warp anymore because witches use EVIL MAGIC) or, I expect and hope, limit the warping ability like it was in Fates so you can only warp to allies. Or they could possibly make it distance based on your magic stat. Or even just make it a full range warp but stop the unit from attacking after doing so much like rewarp staves. There's plenty of ways they could balance it and still have the same basic concept.

Also I've only just noticed this thread, after I made an identical one a day later. This fact makes me feel inadequate.

Edited by Jotari

At 5:12 in the Fire Emblem direct, I did see a strange class that Celica clashes with. It is supposed to be the Dread Fighter, Geyse, but I honestly have no clue what it's supposed to be. 

Spoiler

Also, I think there will be new Axe-based classes since Boey attacks an Axe-wielder of sorts at 5:40.  It could just be the axe-wielding Thief class, though.

Edited by Leif