Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?

Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Falchion still be called the Falchion?

• Of course! Changing original stuff is bad!
    • No. Marth wields the Falchion, give Alm's sword a swanky new name.
    • This is really something quite irrelevant to fixate on.

On 19/1/2017 at 7:34 AM, Rezzy said:

The answer is always Deep Realms.

Oh no, I guess this means they do have an excuse to put that horrible thing in this game as well :cry: 

Anyway, unless the reason Alm got the Falchion was explained in the original FE2, I think they should give him a completely new legendary sword possibly with FE!4 stat bonuses because wynaut

If they add something in there to explain why they have the same name (either they are twin blades, or they are literally the same), then no need to change it. Otherwise, I would say to change it. I never really liked the name Falchion to begin with, as its just a standard name for a type of weapon, and doesn't carry any kind of regal name with it.

Its like naming Excalibur Katana. Its just a name of a sword from a different culture, and it doesn't even resemble it.

They'll probably keep it "Falchion", but give it a different subtitle, like the "Parallel Falchion" and "Exalted Falchion" in Awakening. They're directly making a comparison with Marth with the "Another Hero King" heading, so I don't think they'll avoid parallels.

Edited by NeonZ

I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned Gaiden to have taken place about a century before Anri's time, given the following screenshot from the trailer:

74v8XN9.png

Then again, that would also mean that they're also going to retcon the Whitewings and Zeke out, which seems unlikelier by the minute. They're probably just retconning Valentia's calendar, like Vincent guessed on the news update.

Regardless, I think it'd be helpful to note the known history of Naga's Falchion (years Archanean):

• about -500: Falchion is created shortly before Naga dies, and it's placed with the Binding Shield in the Fane of Raman.
  • about -10: Adrah the thief breaks into the Fane of Raman and steals the Binding Shield--though not the Falchion. Afterward, Gotoh moves the Falchion to the Ice Dragon Shrine for safekeeping.
  • 498: Gotoh leads Anri to the Ice Dragon Shrine to claim the Falchion.
  • 498 to 609: Falchion is passed along in Anri's family, Anri > Marcellus > Marius > Cornelius > Marth (with some temporary thievery by Gharnef)
  • 609 to [Awakening]: Falchion is passed down in Marth's family, Marth >>> First Exalt >>> Chrom

Also, where FE8's Nada Kuya and her sword made of the Dragon's Fang fit in is anyone's guess.

(Hereafter be fan theory)

Spoiler

Personally, subscribe to my own theory that the chronology goes:

Era of Gods

1. World Creation (Tellius)
  2. FE9 & FE10 (Tellius)

Era of Manaketes

1. The Scouring & Ending Winter (Archanea & Elibe)
  2. Guardian God Naga's War & Loptyrian Empire (Archanea & Jugdral)
  3. FE4 & FE5 (Jugdral)
  4. FE6 & FE7 (Elibe) --- contemporaneous with Founding of Archanea (Archanea)
  5. Anri's Victory (Archanea)
  6. FE1, FE2, & FE3 (Archanea & Valentia)

This would mean that 0 Archanea = 1180 Jugdral (an established fact) is also = 1000 Elibe.

Magvel Era

1. War of the Sacred Stones (Magvel)
  2. Nada Kuya Defends Caer Pelyn with what is presumably Falchion (Magvel)
  3. FE8 (Magvel)

Ylisse-Valm Era

1. Founding of Ylisse (Archanea)
  2. The Schism (Archanea)
  3. FE13 (Archanea & Valentia)

FE8 and FE14 have to predate FE13, if Chrom knowing legends about Ephraim, Nohr, and Hoshido in Xenologues means anything. It also makes sense for FE14 to postdate Ending Winter because of the whole the "First Dragons turned into spirits" thing going on. However, the episode with Nada Kuya could have easily happened in the millennium between the First Exalt and FE13. And I was so ready for one of the Lucinas to be Nada Kuya, too.

Honestly, there has only been one Falchion (from a purely chronological standpoint) over the course of the entire series. Let's keep it that way and avoid headaches. And besides, there are plenty of named legendary swords the names of which the franchise has yet to use. Claiomh Solais, Fragarach, Caledfwlch, Moralltach, ect.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:36 PM, Aethin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned Gaiden to have taken place about a century before Anri's time, given the following screenshot from the trailer:

74v8XN9.png

Then again, that would also mean that they're also going to retcon the Whitewings and Zeke out, which seems unlikelier by the minute. They're probably just retconning Valentia's calendar, like Vincent guessed on the news update.

Regardless, I think it'd be helpful to note the known history of Naga's Falchion (years Archanean):

• about -500: Falchion is created shortly before Naga dies, and it's placed with the Binding Shield in the Fane of Raman.
  • about -10: Adrah the thief breaks into the Fane of Raman and steals the Binding Shield--though not the Falchion. Afterward, Gotoh moves the Falchion to the Ice Dragon Shrine for safekeeping.
  • 498: Gotoh leads Anri to the Ice Dragon Shrine to claim the Falchion.
  • 498 to 609: Falchion is passed along in Anri's family, Anri > Marcellus > Marius > Cornelius > Marth (with some temporary thievery by Gharnef)
  • 609 to [Awakening]: Falchion is passed down in Marth's family, Marth >>> First Exalt >>> Chrom

Also, where FE8's Nada Kuya and her sword made of the Dragon's Fang fit in is anyone's guess.

(Hereafter be fan theory)

Reveal hidden contents

Personally, subscribe to my own theory that the chronology goes:

Era of Gods

1. World Creation (Tellius)
  2. FE9 & FE10 (Tellius)

Era of Manaketes

1. The Scouring & Ending Winter (Archanea & Elibe)
  2. Guardian God Naga's War & Loptyrian Empire (Archanea & Jugdral)
  3. FE4 & FE5 (Jugdral)
  4. FE6 & FE7 (Elibe) --- contemporaneous with Founding of Archanea (Archanea)
  5. Anri's Victory (Archanea)
  6. FE1, FE2, & FE3 (Archanea & Valentia)

This would mean that 0 Archanea = 1180 Jugdral (an established fact) is also = 1000 Elibe.

Magvel Era

1. War of the Sacred Stones (Magvel)
  2. Nada Kuya Defends Caer Pelyn with what is presumably Falchion (Magvel)
  3. FE8 (Magvel)

Ylisse-Valm Era

1. Founding of Ylisse (Archanea)
  2. The Schism (Archanea)
  3. FE13 (Archanea & Valentia)

FE8 and FE14 have to predate FE13, if Chrom knowing legends about Ephraim, Nohr, and Hoshido in Xenologues means anything. It also makes sense for FE14 to postdate Ending Winter because of the whole the "First Dragons turned into spirits" thing going on. However, the episode with Nada Kuya could have easily happened in the millennium between the First Exalt and FE13. And I was so ready for one of the Lucinas to be Nada Kuya, too.

Hey, they could still fir the cameos in via the Outrealms. Which personally I'd prefer since I find Camus' expedience at becoming a general of Rigel to really push the boundaries of belief. He must have been sleeping with Rudolf or something to get such a high promotion in such a short time. Either that or Rudolf has even more insane views on the importance of physical strength than Ashnard.

Edited by Jotari

I don't see why they would need to. Just give it a bit of a backstory and explain why it's even there i the first place and it'd be perfect. We already saw in shadow dragon that nagi can create a 2nd falchion on a whim albeit a weaker variation, so who's to say there can't be one already in Valentia?

8 minutes ago, Jagen said:

I don't see why they would need to. Just give it a bit of a backstory and explain why it's even there i the first place and it'd be perfect. We already saw in shadow dragon that nagi can create a 2nd falchion on a whim albeit a weaker variation, so who's to say there can't be one already in Valentia?

I've actually played through Gaiden since making this thread and I'm kind of surprised how much backstory the game did give it. According to a civilian in Mila's temple, the sword was given to Rudolph by Doma and he used it to seal Mila. The cave that you find it in is actually labeled the Rigel treasury. Alm is thee only one allowed in there since he's Rigel royalty (not sure if that's a magical feature or they were just playing by scout honor). Where Doma got it isn't really explained but since he's a god it's pretty likely he created it. Especially if him and Mila are dragons. Given it's ability to seal them both away that makes it practically identical to Falchion and actually pretty apt name (though for the sake of variety I'd still like to see it changed). I especially like the possibility that unlike all the other super weapons in the series, this one might not be all that ancient at all and was only recently created specifically for the purpose of beating Mila in this war.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've actually played through Gaiden since making this thread and I'm kind of surprised how much backstory the game did give it. According to a civilian in Mila's temple, the sword was given to Rudolph by Doma and he used it to seal Mila. The cave that you find it in is actually labeled the Rigel treasury. Alm is thee only one allowed in there since he's Rigel royalty (not sure if that's a magical feature or they were just playing by scout honor). Where Doma got it isn't really explained but since he's a god it's pretty likely he created it. Especially if him and Mila are dragons. Given it's ability to seal them both away that makes it practically identical to Falchion and actually pretty apt name (though for the sake of variety I'd still like to see it changed). I especially like the possibility that unlike all the other super weapons in the series, this one might not be all that ancient at all and was only recently created specifically for the purpose of beating Mila in this war.

And also makes it one of the only legendary weapons that isn't ancient, at least what comes to my mind, since it seems like Mila wasn't sealed that long ago when the game begins. 

It's been a while since I played gaiden, but wasn't there some sort of magic seal that prevented anyone but Alm to enter? I'm not entirely sure, so I might just be puling that out of thin air. 

anyway, I voted for changing the name, since having two nearly identical legendary weapons with the same name seems a tad unlikely to me, though that would explain why noone questioned why Lucina had a falchion too, everyone probably assumed it was the Valmeese one

• 4 months later...

Ok, so people have already played Echoes by now so there's no point in me responding to this. However, I'm just going to put down my knowledge of the Falchions and Grima and all that since there's so much confusion about it all.

1. There's 2 Falchions, both created by Naga. One created to put Grima to slumber (I'm pretty sure) and one created to put Duma to rest. Naga gave Duma the Falchion intended to be used on him as Duma left the continent of Archanea along with Mila. Duma kept the Valentian Falchion within Rigel Castle for its purpose to be used later. The Valentian Falchion was made much earlier than the Archanean one, by the way.

2. The Valentian Falchion should just be called the Kingsfang, as it is a term used for it a few times throughout the game. Even Mila states it as the Kingsfang upon seeing it.

3. Act 6 is all post-game. Nothing about it AT ALL is canon, unless stated by the creators. The only thing canon about it is how Grima was created by Forneus and the whole story behind it all and the Masks (Risen) and such. Their stories are already written, Alm and Celica don't venture off to Archanea and suddenly Grima's much weaker (growing) version appears and fights them.

4. The Gravidus, Parthia, and Mercurius are all just easter egg weapons that are in the game for no particular reason other than if you want to use them or not. Canonically, they were never in Valentia (well, maybe at least not during the time of Alm and Celica's story). Also, why would you be allowed to have 3 Gravidus's for free in the game throughout the main story? All they are are just mediocre weapons (I mean, you can definitely find better weapons than these 3 watered down regalia) that are in the game for fun, just like Awakening. I mean, who would just leave the legendary Mystletainn lying around on the floor only for Chrom to step on it and say, "Hey, I found another one! Let's just store it with the other 9 Mystletainns we found in randomly and use them for later until they break."

Personally, it irks me that they have the same name, but it makes sense if you consider Falchion to be a TYPE of sword, one forged by Naga for the purpose of sealing dragons. However, I do think that the Kingsfang is a cool name for it.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

13 hours ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Personally, it irks me that they have the same name, but it makes sense if you consider Falchion to be a TYPE of sword, one forged by Naga for the purpose of sealing dragons. However, I do think that the Kingsfang is a cool name for it.

Yeah, I was pretty against the idea until I actually played the game. I like how they put it forward as basically Naga's brand product. Still I probably would have preferred it to be unique given that it's not exactly the same (has effective damage on all monsters, not just dragons, are all the Terrors somehow related to dragons?) and Alm might stand out more with a distinct weapon. Overall I'm not as bothered by it now than I was prerelease though.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I was pretty against the idea until I actually played the game. I like how they put it forward as basically Naga's brand product. Still I probably would have preferred it to be unique given that it's not exactly the same (has effective damage on all monsters, not just dragons, are all the Terrors somehow related to dragons?) and Alm might stand out more with a distinct weapon. Overall I'm not as bothered by it now than I was prerelease though.

Terrors are definitely spawned from the powers of Mila and Duma. They started popping up after the Divine Accord was broken and they are more prevalent the closer one is to Mila, as stated by Python at the Deliverance HQ.