Official NoA translation-FE 6 edition

So with FE hereos been a thing this is more just a thoughts on changes to where the patch was and not to flood the one on the NES and SNES one since they're on FE 2/4/5

The first one I've "enjoyed" is 

Spoiler

a006c9575e.png94a9ddc505.pngf0a6767b99.png1e067d2781.pnge9bcc017e8.png

If there's more I've missed just post them below and I'd love to here thoughts...How does Wendy become that though?

Dieck was the name of choice for the older FE6 translations. The new names for Wendy, Niime and Astohl are references to mythology. Larum...is just a weird consequence of the debate over how to transcribe r sounds when romanizing Japanese.

zvbdZG.jpg

Well...I have the official names here for this game and...so what do you guys think of it?!

Huh...a lot of those are pretty similar to what Gringe did.  I didn't think much of the changes he made, but...maybe he was on to something after all...

EDIT: Still would've preferred for "Idunn" to be called "Eden", unless "Idunn" is supposed to be a reference to something.

1 minute ago, FionordeQuester said:

EDIT: Still would've preferred for "Idunn" to be called "Eden", unless "Idunn" is supposed to be a reference to something.

It's probably supposed to be a reference to Idunn the Norse goddess.

How amusing. One of those characters actually has my RL surname as a name. I only hope FE6/7 get remakes in the future ( and that in the remake Wendy or now, Gwendolyn, lives up to her name with better stats xD ).

Nimue is the Lady of the Lake, so basically yet another Arthurian name in Elibe next to Lance[lot], Guinivere, Perceval, Eric [Erec], Mordred [FE6's king of Etruria], Myrddin [Merlin], Igraine [Artus' mother] and Uther [Artus' father].

11 hours ago, tyrfing said:

How amusing. One of those characters actually has my RL surname as a name. I only hope FE6/7 get remakes in the future ( and that in the remake Wendy or now, Gwendolyn, lives up to her name with better stats xD ).

I used Gwendolyn...She got...good?...okay...usable...It was a mistake but she crit eveything in the last chapter so sshh!

On 1/19/2017 at 9:24 PM, DemolisherBPB said:

I used Gwendolyn...She got...good?...okay...usable...It was a mistake but she crit eveything in the last chapter so sshh!

lol, Gwendolyn is an awesome name. At least she isn't Atari ET Tier bad like say, Lyre. XD

• 3 weeks later...

But ニイメ was already "Niime" in FE7...

Also, they're still sticking by "Raigh," which infuriates me to no end. It's supposed to be Lleu, as in Lleu Llaw Gyffes, the Welsh equivalent of the Irish god-hero Lugh.

Fun fact: If you want to know how to pronounce "Lleu" properly:

• LL: put your tongue as you would for an L and then blow air instead
  • EU: a diphthong (glide between two vowels) close to hey or buy

On 12/02/2017 at 7:41 AM, Aethin said:

Wait really? I've always though they were just "cool" versions or Ray, Lay, and Hay...I honestly didn't think much of the names other than, "Now how do I pronounce this?"

On 2/12/2017 at 2:41 AM, Aethin said:

But ニイメ was already "Niime" in FE7...

Also, they're still sticking by "Raigh," which infuriates me to no end. It's supposed to be Lleu, as in Lleu Llaw Gyffes, the Welsh equivalent of the Irish god-hero Lugh.

You're also forgetting Raigh and Lugh are supposed to have their names be the first syllables of Raven and Lucius respectively- this is apparent in the Japanese version-since it's all but stated they're the two individuals that raised them. That's probably why it was rendered as Raigh to begin with was to keep the connection to Raven. Hence, the pronunciation of the English names are "Ray" and "Lu" to allude to their foster parents Ra(y)-ven/mond and Lu-cius. This connection is made apparent by the fours' respective Japanese names, but this connection would basically be lost if they rendered Raigh as Lleu, so Raigh best keeps most aspects of the in-universe intention and connection between 6/7

at any rate, Thea officially throws any names that aren't from a localized game (yes, this includes Awakening as so far they have shown zero in game indication of backing down from any Awakening name) from a fairly high window since it was Thite in the poll (or maybe she straps them to her Pegasus and sends them away). Keep that in mind before getting your hopes up that Rhys will be Kilroy in the Tellius expansion.

edit: I think this further supports my theory that the Heroes site was translated by someone largely unaffiliated with the heroes translators who were only handed the names Heroes had at the time at BEST and all names from the localized US games including Raquesis and Orsin will be reused in Heroes if they become relevant

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

4 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

You're also forgetting Raigh and Lugh are supposed to have their names be the first syllables of Raven and Lucius respectively- this is apparent in the Japanese version-since it's all but stated they're the two individuals that raised them. That's probably why it was rendered as Raigh to begin with was to keep the connection to Raven.

Lucius being the person that raised Lugh and Raigh is fanon, albeit fanon that sounds reasonable enough to possibly be canon (even though it contradicts his recruitment conversation where he got his Fire tome from the room of the person who raised them), and neither of Raven's endings indicate any such thing.

Also, they're supposed to have theme naming according to who? (There's also the fact that, as Lugh and Raigh's game came first, Raven and Lucius would be named after them, not the other way around.)

12 hours ago, AzureSen said:

Lucius being the person that raised Lugh and Raigh is fanon, albeit fanon that sounds reasonable enough to possibly be canon (even though it contradicts his recruitment conversation where he got his Fire tome from the room of the person who raised them), and neither of Raven's endings indicate any such thing.

Also, they're supposed to have theme naming according to who? (There's also the fact that, as Lugh and Raigh's game came first, Raven and Lucius would be named after them, not the other way around.)

When I say named after them, I'm referring to in universe terms. I.E. They got their names after Nino dropped them off at the orphanage at the border of Bern, which is heavily alluded to by Lucius's endings. Irl, yea, it's the other way around but the topic called for in universe justification for the English name being rendered as it is so I was referring to in universe lore where Raigh and Lugh are (all but stated to be at least) taken in by Lucius and possibly Raven/Raymond; since NoA is translating FE6 with the context of FE7 having already been translated, this point does have a degree of real world relevancy since NoA would be best served by analyzing the connections (especially subtle ones) between 6 and 7 and trying to preserve them as best they can in an FE6 translation

They imply Lucius founds the orphanage in question with such a heavy hand in FE7 they good as state it; they clearly specify the orphanage was erected by him in Araphan and indeed the orphanage in FE6 is in Araphan, they additionally point out it has connections to the Elimine clergy which Lucius also has in spades. Raven's solo ending also suggests he is in Araphan; the same location as Lucius who founded the orphanage and whom Raven has a known connection to. Do the math there.

レイヴァン = Raven

レイ = Raigh

セア = Lucius

ゥ = Lugh

I'm going to reiterate what I said before; Raigh's name is literally just the first syllable of Raven's name and this is plainly apparent in the Japanese text as shown above (in Lugh's case the gh is silent and his name is pronounced identically to the Lu portion of Lucius at any rate). Thus, "Raigh" being pronounced as "Ray", the first syllable of both Raven and Raymond, would be quite plausible from a pure textual viewpoint

this, combined with the fact Lucius (and to a lesser extent Raven) are specifically connected to the Araphan orphanage, seems to be no mere coincidence; or, at the very bare minimum, NoA is assuming it isn't a coincidence and basing Raigh's name on being pronounced as "Ray" to fit in with Lucius and Raven; it is perhaps plausible it's a massive coincidence between characters who do have an establishible connection but at the bare minimum this seems to be the logic behind this specific translation

even beyond that however, the respective characters' personalities match up quite nicely between Raven/Raigh and Lucius/Lugh, which in turn suggests the FE6 characters obtained their personality traits from the FE7 ones

Going by the pure Japanese names you can potentially infer the names have a correlation; this aspect would be completely lost on an English audience if Raigh were translated as Lleu due to Raven/Raymond being translated as such, whereas the potential implications are existent still with the current naming scheme which seems to be (at least part) of the rational for going with Raigh. Basically, Nintendo of America/8-4/Treehouse/Whoever is translating at the present time themselves seem to be making the inference about Lucius and Raven raising them at any rate, hence why we got Raigh.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems