1. 1. Should Echoes add a customizable Avatar character>

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Finian said:

Part of the reason I'm not a fan of the Avatar as a main character is that I don't like customizing and naming my own character and then having their personality completely out of my hands. I like the idea of an Avatar as a villager whose base stats and growths can be influenced by the player, but who is otherwise a silent side character. The avatar doesn't need to be special.

While true and I agree to a certain degree, it has been proven before that such a thing can work.

Look no further than Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight. The protagonist is silent, you can name him, he has his own personality which you can somewhat influence, he's the most overpowered thing in recent memory,

the plot-important

waifu girl has a major crush on him and he solos the final boss.

And yet, despite this character incorporating everything people on this forum like to hate on when it comes to player avatars, in this game, it works. And it works well.

For other examples, check Persona 5, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The MIllenium Girl, Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars, SMTIV and SMTIV: Apocalypse. In all of these, the protagonist is 'supposed' to represent the player, they are important to the story (of course, since that's the DEFINITION of a freaking protagonist!), they are all special in some way and the main girl(s) are head over heels for 'em (arguably, in SMTIV's case... Apocalypse doubles it up to make up for it, though). Yet no one seems to complain about them.

The only thing I hate about Chris / Kris is that he didn't have any paired endings. I want my Katarina romance to be a thing, damn it! as Mangs said: The whole generic training shtick does get annoying after a while.

Edited by DragonFlames