Old Artwork & New Artwork

24 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Kamui looks like he jumped straight out of someone's Naruto OC collection, but I still like his design a lot. Is this their way of semi-canonizing ninjas in worlds outside of nameless continent of Fates? Lol. Also digging that he looks Asian

Well Dread Fighter originated in Gaiden and Fates interpreted as a cross between ninja and assassin, so I could see the Asian inspiration they had going with this game.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Also, not sure if you noticed, but Boey actually has a piece of armor on underneath his cloak. It's hard to see, but it's the same general shape as the armor that Mae is wearing (aside from the boob design). I'm also perplexed by the weird piece of armor(?) that Tobin, Kliff, and Gray are all wearing. It only covers a part of their left side.

Your left side would be the target of right-handed fighters.

Considering Tobin, Kliff and Gray are all normal kids who decided to follow Alm off to war, it's likely that they just slapped together whatever they could. The Gaiden teams are some of the scrappier teams, mostly due to Alm and his buddies being poor villagers.

4 minutes ago, Shadowess said:

I'm really digging Faye and Kamui's design. Like a lot.

Seriously i'm in awe of this artwork it's so good

Yeah, the character designs are some of my favorite from the series probably since FE7(8-10 are fine, but 7 was the last time I really, really dug the designs), and the artstyle works with the series really well.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Your left side would be the target of right-handed fighters.

Considering Tobin, Kliff and Gray are all normal kids who decided to follow Alm off to war, it's likely that they just slapped together whatever they could. The Gaiden teams are some of the scrappier teams, mostly due to Alm and his buddies being poor villagers.

This is true. I keep forgetting that at least on Alm's side, most of the beginning characters are inexperienced fighters.

17 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I...I just realized. They're implying that Kamui is from Jugdral - Isaach, in particular, since that region is already Asian-coded/based. And that's in the same world as Valentia. It makes so much more sense now....

I think it might be more as a reference to Chon'sin, seeing as Valm (Valentia) is where Chon'sin is located. 

45 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I think it might be more as a reference to Chon'sin, seeing as Valm (Valentia) is where Chon'sin is located. 

But Chon'sin doesn't exist on Valentia as of Gaiden/Echoes timeline yet. Kamui's from a different continent than Valentia, which I theorize as Isaach just due to being the only place with any real Asian-inspired influence.

I definitely looked at the PAX East Footage trailer that Kamui does look alot like he's fights like as a Samurai from Fates instead of using the traditional Mercenary fighting style.

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

I'm with everyone confused over Silque's...tail...fabric thing... What is that all about??

The Clerics that we saw in the Fire Emblem Direct trailer has that same design as Silque wears since she starts off as a Cleric also.

Just now, King Marth 64 said:

The Clerics that we saw in the Fire Emblem Direct trailer has that same design as Silque wears since she starts off as a Cleric also.

But what is it? That's what I'm confused about. I can't imagine that it serves any practical purpose... If it's for decoration, who would put something like that there, where it looks like some weird sort of tail thing? :blink:

But Chon'sin doesn't exist on Valentia as of Gaiden/Echoes timeline yet. Kamui's from a different continent than Valentia, which I theorize as Isaach just due to being the only place with any real Asian-inspired influence.

It's possible that Kamui is from Isaach, and founds Chon'sin, since it says he

founds a new land

in his ending.

However, he could be from somewhere that isn't Isaach. There seems to be many East-Asian influenced countries/continents across the FE world. The Wo Dao has always referred to a a nebulous "eastern land". Plus, not everyone from Isaach is explicitly Asain. Chulainn/Holyn is blonde-haired and blue eyed, and he's Isaach royalty.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

It's possible that Kamui is from Isaach, and founds Chon'sin, since it says he founds a new land in his ending.

However, he could be from somewhere that isn't Isaach. There seems to be many East-Asian influenced countries/continents across the FE world. The Wo Dao has always referred to a a nebulous "eastern land". Plus, not everyone from Isaach is explicitly Asain. Chulainn/Holyn is blonde-haired and blue eyed, and he's Isaach royalty.

Oh, does the Killer Edge description refer to an ambiguous eastern land? Is that only in Archanea or what? I've never read its description all that close, but that's kind of fascinating.

Oh yeah, Holyn. I'll admit I tend to forget his existence. Yeah... His inexplicable blondness has always confused me in a sea of black-eyed, black-haired people. Maybe he's adopted? Theory crafting... Lol.

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh, does the Killer Edge description refer to an ambiguous eastern land? Is that only in Archanea or what? I've never read its description all that close, but that's kind of fascinating.

Oh yeah, Holyn. I'll admit I tend to forget his existence. Yeah... His inexplicable blondness has always confused me in a sea of black-eyed, black-haired people. Maybe he's adopted? Theory crafting... Lol.

I don't know. Most of the games that have a Killer Edge either don't have in-depth descriptions like that, or they also exist alongside a Wo Dao/Shamshir-type weapon, which get the "far-east land" flavor text.

And Holyn can't be adopted. He has minor Odo blood. So not only is he from Isaach, he's royal family by blood(He is explicitly a cousin of Ayra's, too) and a direct descendant of the founder of the country.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I don't know. Most of the games that have a Killer Edge either don't have in-depth descriptions like that, or they also exist alongside a Wo Dao/Shamshir-type weapon, which get the "far-east land" flavor text.

Hmm, well they're definitely designed to look ambiguously Midlde Eastern, so I guess it makes sense in the end.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

And Holyn can't be adopted. He has minor Odo blood. So not only is he from Isaach, he's royal family by blood(He is explicitly a cousin of Ayra's, too) and a direct descendant of the founder of the country.

Huh. He's just a genetic anomaly then, I guess. It does happen every now and then.

14 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Hmm, well they're definitely designed to look ambiguously Midlde Eastern, so I guess it makes sense in the end.

Huh. He's just a genetic anomaly then, I guess. It does happen every now and then.

Since Chullain can be skipped I suspect he was thrown in the game at the last second because the devs liked his liked his design, and to make him "special" they made him an Odo, forgetting that his design is not consistent with Ayra, Shannan, Maricle, Larcei, or Ulster. But this is the same game where the children don't have the same hair color as their parent (Lana and Lester, what were they thinking?).

Edited by L9999

But what is it? That's what I'm confused about. I can't imagine that it serves any practical purpose... If it's for decoration, who would put something like that there, where it looks like some weird sort of tail thing? :blink:

It honestly looks like a deflated butt bow, but not so much a bow. It's most likely just for decoration and it just looks funny at the angle we're seeing it as. Maybe when we get in-game models, it will make more sense/look less ridiculous?

17 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Anti-panty window. ;): You stare at my butt and just see more fabric!

But, in reality it's probably just a stylistic choice that's just a alternative flourish of fabric like a big bow serves as Kaze put forth above. It puts me in mind of Edwardian Era dresses that had the style of putting huge gathers of fabric at or above the tailbone to give ladies the illusion of having a huge rump.

It's just a fantasy world take on that kind of clothing.

15 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Anti-panty window. ;): You stare at my butt and just see more fabric!

But, in reality it's probably just a stylistic choice that's just a alternative flourish of fabric like a big bow serves as Kaze put forth above. It puts me in mind of Edwardian Era dresses that had the style of putting huge gathers of fabric at or above the tailbone to give ladies the illusion of having a huge rump.

Not to mention that dresses in medieval times were a bit ridiculous. Even in other eras, a lot of dresses were big and poofy with really weird design choices. Practicality didn't seem to be a forethought for women's clothing.

3 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Not to mention that dresses in medieval times were a bit ridiculous. Even in other eras, a lot of dresses were big and poofy with really weird design choices. Practicality didn't seem to be a forethought for women's clothing.

20 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

It puts me in mind of Edwardian Era dresses that had the style of putting huge gathers of fabric at or above the tailbone to give ladies the illusion of having a huge rump.

You both make a fair point...but then again, women also weren't usually on the battlefield. But then again, Silque is a cleric, so she's not exactly going to be in the thick of things. i guess it makes sense that way.

I do like Silque's new design, it makes her stand out a lot more than Genny and makes her really look like she's from Zofia so she sticks out a bit in her Cleric's garb from Alm's troops. Kamui looks amazing and his Asian-styled appearance is really cool. Lukas I think is my favourite design so far due to his hair and colour scheme. Faye also looks adorable. The only ones I feel are slightly out of line from the other artworks are Kliff and Gray due to their different faces. I do love all of the art so far and Hidari's style perfectly suits the games!

Edited by Hoshidokoala

18 hours ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Kliff's new design is the bomb, this man is using the orb of confusion to reach a new level of enlightenment.

...It took me a second to realize that you updated your avatar and then I was confused as to why you changed it. Derp. That's perfect, lol. And is it me, or is new Kliff channeling a bit of "I don't give a crap" Haar and/or Setsuna?

Edited by Extrasolar

35 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

...It took me a second to realize that you updated your avatar and then I was confused as to why you changed it. Derp. That's perfect, lol. And is it me, or is new Kliff channeling a bit of "I don't give a crap" Haar and/or Setsuna?

I was thinking that Kliff did give off the aloofness that Haar and Setsuna had. They're there, but they don't really put too much worry into things.

1 hour ago, KazeNinja17 said:

I was thinking that Kliff did give off the aloofness that Haar and Setsuna had. They're there, but they don't really put too much worry into things.

The site bio says he has a pretty bookish nature and acts mature for his age (they really seem to be pushing the villagers' optimal classes as their "canon" ones) and joins the Deliverance to see more of the world. I'd hope for a bit more of Haar and a bit less of stoner archer with that in mind.

Though I'm usually not a fan of radical redesigns for characters, I'm really digging this art right now

I am not disappointed with what's been revealed so far

EDIT: I wonder what Matilda will look like, though

Hopefully she'll look more like her OG design, but I'm not getting my hopes up

Edited by Pixelman

28 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The site bio says he has a pretty bookish nature and acts mature for his age (they really seem to be pushing the villagers' optimal classes as their "canon" ones) and joins the Deliverance to see more of the world. I'd hope for a bit more of Haar and a bit less of stoner archer with that in mind.

I see Kliff as being more of a character that spends too much time reading (staying up late and such), which is why he kind of looks like he just woke up in his Echoes artwork.

11 minutes ago, Pixelman said:

Though I'm usually not a fan of radical redesigns for characters, I'm really digging this art right now

I am not disappointed with what's been revealed so far

EDIT: I wonder what Matilda will look like, though

Hopefully she'll look more like her OG design, but I'm not getting my hopes up

The characters I'm looking forward to seeing the new designs of are the Whitewing sisters, Sonya, and Zeke.

I'm a fan of every single redesign so far. I think Hidari did extremely well, given what they had to work with. 

Can't wait to see the rest, especially Python, Forsyth, Delthea, and Luthier.