Old Artwork & New Artwork

20 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

You know I'm ready to post them on this thread when the time comes. Just hoping IS starts releasing them soon.

From the screenshots that we've seen in the trailer, Silque, Mae, and Genny didn't have much of a revamp. Genny still rocking her pink ponytail and Silque's hair went from a purple/indigo to blue. The hairstyle is still a bob though. Mae's hair is more of a fushia color now, but she still has her pigtails. 

The only other character you've mentioned that we've seen a battlefield sprite of is Clair. Her hair color doesn't look blue anymore (probably not to look to similar to Catria or Sheeda). She appears to have long blonde hair now, which makes her look more like Clive's sister than she did in the original. Fun Fact: she'll be the first blonde pegasus knight in the series, save Cynthia or Matoi if their father/mother was blonde. But since their official artwork doesn't depict them with blonde hair, I'm giving the title to Clair (if she is blonde, it was hard to see).

Actually, Genny has blonde hair. On a side note, Kamui has Blue hair now and Leon has long black hair.

Spoiler

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/12/2017 at 11:27 PM, Leif said:

Actually, Genny has blonde hair. On a side note, Kamui has Blue hair now and Leon has long black hair.

Hide contents

Maybe I'm colorblind but it looks more like a strawberry blonde, pinkish orange color to me.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, escotanner said:

So I just watched Ghast's trailer analysis of the new Echoes trailer and from what was said, the black-haired dude is probably Gerome, Zeke's partner.

I'll go check it out! Ghast is a huge Gaiden fan so he probably has it all figured out. I'm thinking Zeke could be the new blonde paladin we saw in the latest trailer, even though his armor doesn't look dark enough.

I don't think that's Gerome. Gerome was a throw away boss with a middle aged looking portrait, making him into young man would be the most radical redesign in franchise history. 

50 minutes ago, Hardin said:

I don't think that's Gerome. Gerome was a throw away boss with a middle aged looking portrait, making him into young man would be the most radical redesign in franchise history. 

Gaiden's bosses reused portraits all the time with a small recolor, so a radical redesign may make some sense... it would be boring if they all looked the same. Plus some of the redesigns we have seen so far are fairly radical, look at Boey...

Of course I understand that there will be redesigns for bosses, but the point is that there's always sense of continuity between them. You don't just go from TV ugly middle aged man, to handsome 20 year old. 

Alright time for a mega update! Starting off with Alm's party.

Gray

Spoiler

latest?cb=20090301201122 character002_l.png

He got a nice tan and lost his turquoise hair.

Tobin

Spoiler

latest?cb=20090301201333character003_l.png

His color scheme changed completely. I like his new boots.

Kliff @KliffIsTheOG I thought of you.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20090301193338character004_l.png

He looks cooler now, which is befitting of his awesomeness. I want this outfit.

Faye (original character so no comparison shot)

Spoiler

character005_l.png

She's cute until I make her a walking death machine. They'll never know what hit them.

Lukas

Spoiler

latest?cb=20090301201605character006_l.png

He went from getting a girl pregnant and leaving her to getting her pregnant and having a shotgun wedding because he wants to apart of his child's life.

Silque (not like the fabric anymore)

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160812042648latest?cb=20120703010418character007_l.png

She's like a second Boey. A new hair color everyday.

Now we have Celica's party

Mae

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160812075340character010_l.png

My prediction as the breakout favorite of this game. Her design stayed the same for the most part, and even her new artwork has a similar pose.

Genny

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160812075339character012_l.png

Her artwork remains relatively cute. Her dress looks like Silque's in terms of color design, but hers looks more off an off-white rosy color.

Valbar

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160812075343latest?cb=20090301195951character014_l.png

His armor isn't phallic-shaped anymore! He doesn't look creepy anymore!

Leon

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160812075340character015_l.png

Once a pretty boy, always a pretty boy. His range is OP and he looks like a villain. I'm digging it.

Asaello Kamui (different one)

Spoiler

latest?cb=20161221041255character016_l.png

Lost his green hair but still has a pretty green color palette. He looks more Eastern Asian now as well.

Anyways that's all for now folks!

Edited by Dandy Druid
Forgot a name.

I really like the new designs, especially Genny and Leon. Also, a neat little detail that I've noticed is that the characters with armor(Alm, Lukas, Clive, and Valbar) have scratches on their armor. It makes the characters look like they've worn and fought in that armor before, and it's nice that the artist went into that much detail.

13 minutes ago, escotanner said:

Is Leon wearing mascara or something cause it kind of look like he is.

Pretty sure that's just how Hidari decided to draw his eyelashes.

41 minutes ago, escotanner said:

It seems to be red eye liner, probably to emphasize his newly given "pretty boy" status they put in his description for Echoes.

45 minutes ago, escotanner said:

Looks like it.  I could have sworn also that in one of his dialogue clips on the website he uses "atashi" as his personal pronoun.  Sounds like they're making him kind of camp.

Is it just me or does Silque have a tail?

6 minutes ago, Hardin said:

Of course, we can't leave out this monstrosity. I guess this is new Judah?

Judah.png

Still not as disturbing as Excellus.

Really digging all the new artwork, since a lot of the older artwork had a nice heaping of generic (understandable, since they didn't really have a dedicated character artist until Jugdral). Everyone's definitely looking unique here and standing out from each other.

Kamui looks like he jumped straight out of someone's Naruto OC collection, but I still like his design a lot. Is this their way of semi-canonizing ninjas in worlds outside of nameless continent of Fates? Lol. Also digging that he looks Asian.

Yup, Leon's definitely got a new helping of vanity implied in his new art. I dig the makeup markings a lot, lol.

Though I feel like the redesign gets rid of a bit of the gentle sweetness implied by Kliff's soft gaze in the original art, and I always imagined him as the easygoing, kind and relaxed one. Oh well.

Faye is the most adorable thing ever. I hope I can train her into an ultimate badass so I can wreck face with a precious darling. <3

Black Gray (that phrase is very odd to type....) looks pretty cool, glad we're getting more non-white characters. And yup, called that inexplicable boob-plate for Mae. Still odd on a mage, and we don't need ridiculously awkward form-fitting armor like that, armor designers! But her design is still pretty adorable.

I'm with everyone confused over Silque's...tail...fabric thing... What is that all about??

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

She's like a second Boey. A new hair color everyday.

Or a second Alm... I mean, he started the tradition on the original box art...

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Really digging all the new artwork, since a lot of the older artwork had a nice heaping of generic (understandable, since they didn't really have a dedicated character artist until Jugdral). Everyone's definitely looking unique here and standing out from each other.

Kamui looks like he jumped straight out of someone's Naruto OC collection, but I still like his design a lot. Is this their way of semi-canonizing ninjas in worlds outside of nameless continent of Fates? Lol. Also digging that he looks Asian.

Yup, Leon's definitely got a new helping of vanity implied in his new art. I dig the makeup markings a lot, lol.

Though I feel like the redesign gets rid of a bit of the gentle sweetness implied by Kliff's soft gaze in the original art, and I always imagined him as the easygoing, kind and relaxed one. Oh well.

Faye is the most adorable thing ever. I hope I can train her into an ultimate badass so I can wreck face with a precious darling. <3

Black Gray (that phrase is very odd to type....) looks pretty cool, glad we're getting more non-white characters. And yup, called that inexplicable boob-plate for Mae. Still odd on a mage, and we don't need ridiculously awkward form-fitting armor like that, armor designers! But her design is still pretty adorable.

I'm with everyone confused over Silque's...tail...fabric thing... What is that all about??

Or a second Alm... I mean, he started the tradition on the original box art...

Kamui's design is most likely designed to specifically look Asian/from a different region. He's still a mercenary however.

Also, regarding Mae's weird armor piece, pretty sure Celica has something similar going on with her design. The top part of Celica's outfit looks to be a separate piece of clothing that's connected to her floating sleeves and cape. I'm guessing it's armor that's colored to match her outfit. Could be leather since leather is more flexible to be form fitting like that. Same with Mae's armor piece.

3 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Kamui's design is most likely designed to specifically look Asian/from a different region. He's still a mercenary however.

Oh, I know he's not actually a ninja or anything. But his design takes so many cues from ninja, I see it as them implying some sort of ninja/Asian-inspired assassins and/or warriors exist somewhere in Archanea/Valentia/Jugdral world as well as nameless Fates world.

3 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Also, regarding Mae's weird armor piece, pretty sure Celica has something similar going on with her design. The top part of Celica's outfit looks to be a separate piece of clothing that's connected to her floating sleeves and cape. I'm guessing it's armor that's colored to match her outfit. Could be leather since leather is more flexible to be form fitting like that. Same with Mae's armor piece.

Celica's is way better designed/integrated than Mae's is, imo, and it's not as exaggerated or over-emphasized. Celica's is the color of the rest of her outfit and blends in for the most part, while Mae's is explicitly a different color to stand out. Plus, boob-plates are dumb in general imo, since countless studies have proven the design to be stupid. Regular, unisex not-shaped chest armor is the way to go, like the Tellius series used. Forever pimping Tellius as best female armor designs for the most part

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh, I know he's not actually a ninja or anything. But his design takes so many cues from ninja, I see it as them implying some sort of ninja/Asian-inspired assassins and/or warriors exist somewhere in Archanea/Valentia/Jugdral world as well as nameless Fates world.

Celica's is way better designed/integrated than Mae's is, imo, and it's not as exaggerated or over-emphasized. Celica's is the color of the rest of her outfit and blends in for the most part, while Mae's is explicitly a different color to stand out. Plus, boob-plates are dumb in general imo, since countless studies have proven the design to be stupid. Regular, unisex not-shaped chest armor is the way to go, like the Tellius series used. Forever pimping Tellius as best female armor designs for the most part

Believe me, I'm not trying to defend the choice for the boob plate. It find it ridiculous as well. Though for Mae and Celica, since they're magic users and not actual melee fighters/close-ranged fighters (I know Celica has a sword, mostly meant as a primary close-range situation), it might be done as pure design choice and not meant to be realistic. (Not saying a good design choice in Mae's case) We have yet to see how some of the female characters are designed that are also units that would typically have armor on. Clair is still MIA and she's a pegasus knight and usually the pegasus knights have some sort of chest armor.

Edited by KazeNinja17

I...I just realized. They're implying that Kamui is from Jugdral - Isaach, in particular, since that region is already Asian-coded/based. And that's in the same world as Valentia. It makes so much more sense now....

2 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Though for Mae and Celica, since they're magic users and not actual melee fighters/close-ranged fighters, it might be done as pure design choice and not meant to be realistic.

But that just makes it weirder. Best case scenario, they won't need to get into the faces of their enemies to cast their magic, so armor isn't needed. But Celica wields swords as well as magic, so her armoring up a bit makes sense, while it's inexplicable for Mae. And if we're going off of traditional magic users, armor at all interferes with their casting motions and makes it a lot riskier/harder to cast a spell.

But boob plates aren't by any means new to the series, unfortunately. Not trying to rag on the redesigns explicitly for them. Just my annoyance at recent female armor designs coming out. These designs are way, way better than stuff like Camilla or Charlotte. But why can't we get a return to the glory days of Tellius armor

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

I...I just realized. They're implying that Kamui is from Jugdral - Isaach, in particular, since that region is already Asian-coded/based. And that's in the same world as Valentia. It makes so much more sense now....

But that just makes it weirder. Best case scenario, they won't need to get into the faces of their enemies to cast their magic, so armor isn't needed. But Celica wields swords as well as magic, so her armoring up a bit makes sense, while it's inexplicable for Mae. And if we're going off of traditional magic users, armor at all interferes with their casting motions and makes it a lot riskier/harder to cast a spell.

But boob plates aren't by any means new to the series, unfortunately. Not trying to rag on the redesigns explicitly for them. Just my annoyance at recent female armor designs coming out. These designs are way, way better than stuff like Camilla or Charlotte. But why can't we get a return to the glory days of Tellius armor

Also, not sure if you noticed, but Boey actually has a piece of armor on underneath his cloak. It's hard to see, but it's the same general shape as the armor that Mae is wearing (aside from the boob design). I'm also perplexed by the weird piece of armor(?) that Tobin, Kliff, and Gray are all wearing. It only covers a part of their left side.