[FE Switch Discussion] Amiibo Support

At the risk of saturating the general FE forums with FE16 discussion, I think this is a pretty interesting topic.

With the announcement of Fire Emblem Echoes, the Fire Emblem series now has eight amiibo to its name. Of course three of them are yet to be released, but still. Eight!

And I think, coupled with the Switch's amiibo support, Nintendo and IS are going to continue the amiibo functionality that started in Fates. For the uninitiated, players could use amiibo of Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina (sorry, Roy fans!) to summon those characters into Corrin's world. The first two times they were summoned they would appear in Corrin's castle and give him a cosmetic depending on the player's dialogue choice, and on the third time they challenge Corrin to a battle. Upon winning the battle (which has brief snippets of dialogue from the champions before and after the skirmish), the character is then recruited into Corrin's army, with their own unique model, weapon, crit quotes and cut-in portraits, not to mention new portraits for dialogue drawn in Fates' art style.

So, it's opinion time again; Do you guys want to see amiibo functionality return for Fire Emblem on the Switch? If so, which characters would you like to see appear? I expect we'll already be getting Roy, Corrin, Alm and Celica, in addition to the other four but I would love to see Xander, Ryoma, Azura, Chrom, Lyn and Hector all get amiibo usable in FE16. Unlikely, but it would be nice, right? 

Edited by InfinityAlex

I would love to see Fates' amiibo compatibility return for FE Switch. I mean, I didn't actually use the units themselves that much, mainly for personal reasons rather than due to the actual quality of the units themselves, but I did enjoy seeing them show up and having them meet Corrin (and ironically having no recollection of him, despite him being added to Smash before Fates' release outside of Japan). It was pretty neat. I don't know the general opinion of that feature, but if it was received well enough, they already have the system thought out, so they'd just need to tweak it a bit to fit with whatever game mechanics FE Switch has (e.g. if it doesn't have cosmetic options like Fates, obviously what they give you needs to be changed).

While I do like amiibo for the most part, and have set out to collect every Fire Emblem amiibo, I feel like making a brand new line of FE amiibo just for FE Switch isn't the greatest idea. Nintendo already has so many amiibo they have no idea what to do with, with many only having one or two uses. While Fates' use of the FE amiibo was fun, I feel like it's not enough justify the introduction a brand new wave of amiibo that would do nothing outside of that game, and perhaps a weapon bonus or something in FE Warriors. I could see them introducing new amiibo for the game's protagonist(s), like FE Echos is doing, but if it's left as just what Fates did, and they try to add an entire new wave, the like of what you'd suggested, I feel like that's just gonna be a whole lot of amiibo that do a whole lot of nothing.

Speaking of which, I'm actually more interested in the amiibo implementation in FE Echoes than I am in FE Switch. The no-brainer option would be that it's going to do what Fates did, or something similar, except with added compatibility for the Roy and Corrin amiibo as well. The issue then is what the Alm and Celica amiibo would do, seeing as how they're already in the game themselves. I have no idea what they're gonna do there.

I still wonder if the Amiibo will apply to Echoes, since nothing about Echoes past it being a remake and that it is retaining a lot of Gaiden's ideas has been specified or mentioned.

But I would imagine Switch FE will support them. They will probably function similarly to the way they did in Fates, accessories, or if FE Switch doesnt have that maybe items of some type, and then eventual recruitment. All of them probably will get support too.

I liked the way Fates did it and I would be fine if it was the same in FE 16.  I would love if there are more FE Amiibo in the future because I want figures of my favorite characters.  Of course I don't think they will make any Amiibo of non lord characters but one can hope.

I'd love an Elincia Amiibo to join my Ike (bias reasons lol), but I don't think it'd happen unless Tellius got re-released, sadly. I'm gonna make 'em kiss if it does happen tho! Hee hee.

I hope if Ike's not already in the game as a standard character, I can add him to my party with the Amiibo just as in Fates. I loved being able to play with Ike again since he's my favorite and I never expected that I would be able to! It was so fun and such a pleasant surprise!

I'd love for FE Switch to have amiibo support! And while I do agree that they probably shouldn't make a whole new amiibo line...I'd still want a couple new ones. The protagonist of Switch, and a couple past protagonists, to be specific. Maybe Lyn, Seliph, and Leif and Brom because I'd buy that in a HEARTBEAT!. And if they use the same base system as Fates, that'd give us Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Alm, Celica, and a few more as additional units!

Use em' just like Fates did, but make the cosmetics appear on your hypothetical avatar's portrait, not just their model. 

I strongly doubt in the possibility, but I always fantasized about the possibility of using the Zelda and/or Kid Icarus amiibos in Fates. If they got really creative, they could do FE styled characters for almost any existing amiibo, but that's stretching it even further, and Zelda and/or Kid Icarus is probably too far a stretch as is.

If nothing else, it would be cool if amiibos unlocked two characters. Marth+Caeda, Robin+Lissa, Lucina+Chrom, Ike+Lethe(if they're gonna use unique classes, why not keep it fresh?), Roy+Lilina, Corrin+Leo, Alm and Celica I'm not sure.

Those are just examples though, it could be any character from the same game.

12 hours ago, Cornguy said:

If nothing else, it would be cool if amiibos unlocked two characters. Marth+Caeda, Robin+Lissa, Lucina+Chrom, Ike+Lethe(if they're gonna use unique classes, why not keep it fresh?), Roy+Lilina, Corrin+Leo, Alm and Celica I'm not sure.

Okay, now this would be cool.

Other uses I could see are that different Amiibos can be used to alter the mechanics of the game, like common game mods. Perhaps one could get rid of the weapon triangle, while another reintroduces Canto or Rescue.

I'd be fine with it working like in Fates; give us Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Roy, Corrin, Alm, and Celica as bonus units.

Maybe give them Supports (if only platonic ones) and functionality in whatever the successor to My Castle is, too.

If any non-FE amiibos were supported, it should be Captain Falcon. HYES!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 0:13 AM, Cornguy said:

Use em' just like Fates did, but make the cosmetics appear on your hypothetical avatar's portrait, not just their model. 

I strongly doubt in the possibility, but I always fantasized about the possibility of using the Zelda and/or Kid Icarus amiibos in Fates. If they got really creative, they could do FE styled characters for almost any existing amiibo, but that's stretching it even further, and Zelda and/or Kid Icarus is probably too far a stretch as is.

But we ain't gon talk about these gorgeous Inklings?

Anywho, out of all the amiibo support I've experienced & seen, Fates still used the FE Smash characters in the best way possible. I really hate how Nintendo uses them for cosmetic changes or content unlocks and leave it at only that. Fates actually gave me the option to play with them as fully-realized units! I dunno about you, but that sort of integration (and the effort to recruit them) makes me grow closer to them as characters.

I would really like to have them as Support options though, or have them support one another. Don't get me started with child-rearing.

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure what to expect with this game. While I do expect amiibo support for the FE amiibo.. we now will have 11: Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Roy, mCorrin, fCorrin, Alm, Celica, Chrom and Tiki. While it was feasible to add the amiibo units to the cast like Fates when there were only 4, I think it'd be a huge request of the team to add all of these. I could see them going the Echoes route, where they can be summoned in some way but not permanently. More likely though they'll be going along with the Warriors route and having each amiibo provide some sort of relevant item. A full unit with art, text and dialogue seems unlikely.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Chrom/Tiki amiibos do well for them to make another one or two alongside the Warriors DLC, though I'm maybe just really hoping for a Lyn amiibo.