Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Faraway Lands

Abdul looked over at Serge, not having paid too much attention before he'd interjected. "One could say as much, my good man. However, I am almost certain my own journey has been several time longer than your own." he replied, giving the mercenary his attention. "It took me three months to travel from my home country to here, it was no easy task, but I was able to survive. However, I had not expected such a strange culture... whilst I have learned much, remaining among these people is not something I would wish for. It was difficult enough to acquire your language."

Octon laughed, patting Abdul on the back firmly. "They're not all bad, some folks might give you a hard time from being foreign but it don't matter to me!" he laughed, attempting to reassure his companion. "See what you manage, you can always try again next week if it doesn't go your way this time. You might have to though, I'm not letting anyone else get first place without a good fight."

Betting Buddies

"Not at all, Princess. I would have assumed that something like this would very much interest you. Thankfully you possess the sense to not enter yourself." Esclabor replied, both him and Nelon unsurprised by Cass' interest. "I've got a man of my own in the fights. He's not exactly very flashy, but I figure it was worth the investment... especially if we can bolster our funds just a little. I'm not sure if Serge stands much of a chance, but we'll have a good view from these seats."

Nelon had remained quiet until addressed, almost lost in thought as his friend spoke. "Myself? I feel that Serge has potential, but his emotions cloud his judgement. It very much hinges on the quality of opponents he faces, but from what I see, he is almost guaranteed to lose to Baron Esclabor's fighter. It would require a great deal of composure for him to do so." Nelon added, looking back down at the arena. "There are also a few minor flaws in his technique, something that can be capitalised on if one is aware."

Esclabor sat back in his seat, grinning smugly. "The guy's got guts, but he's got nothing on my Shaggy." he boasted, crossing his arms. "He might have been ex-army, I wasn't too sure, he doesn't really say much. Found him outside one of the bars in the rough part of the city, only wanted a quarter of the winnings too."

Songs and Wrongs

"I don't know personally... but I hear they all gather at the Golden Experience in the evenings to discuss their work." he replied, leaning in closer to try and focus on Sidney. He gazed curiously at her for a moment, before returning to an affable smile. "My eyes aren't so good nowadays, I swore I remembered you from somewhere... but that's my eyes playing tricks on me again. But yes, they meet there most evenings, sometimes people try to overhear some of their songs!"

Another young man had overheard their conversation, leaning in to join it. Plainly dressed, he at least seemed to have appreciated Sidney's expensive clothing. "I wouldn't get your hopes up on joining them, even if you can sing or have money. They're a really stuck up group." he warned. "They're nothing like the bards, they're in it to tell the stories that they want people to hear."

Past and Fate

Graham looked down glumly, most likely still concerned about his father's wellbeing. "I know you're trying to help Owen... but I'm not brave and strong like you." he lamented, unable to take comfort in Owen's words. "These things really scare me, it's why I wear so much armour, it lets me hide away and not worry about getting hurt. Every battle I was in was terrifying, I relied so much on everyone else to keep me safe. I feel so powerless, Owen. I sometimes want to run away from it all, I can't be strong like you."

The large man had stepped forward at last, towering over the two nobles. "Graham... people not born strong, they work for it." he added, putting his hand on his shoulder. "It hard to look back and remember hard things. That why you here, we help you get body strong, but mind too."

Unpleasant Reunion

Tartus looked at Claire, as if he were trying to remember her. Shaking his head in defeat, he listened to her request. "Well, Claire... it took Morganna a good few years to produce something that was even remotely serviceable, and that girl knew her bookwork inside out." he replied, tugging on his beard again. He stopped suddenly, his expression brightening as he made a sudden realisation. "There's someone I know who may be able to help you with the initial steps. She's an unusual woman, but her understanding of the theory of illusions is superb. In fact, she was able to assist me in some of my work. She's rather elderly, but in very good health. She should be sitting near the staircase, just ask for a woman called Constance."

Constance is free to post!

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge nodded. "I've seen plenty of things on my journey, but I doubt it compares to yours." He felt that that was the right thing to say, even though he felt like he had lost everything. Assuming you had it worse than someone else was a terrible thing to do, in his opinion. He took a deep breath. He had already gone too far to back down now. "It sounds to me like you got a lot riding on winning this thing, and unfortunately, I do, too. So...Best of luck. To the both of you." After a small moment of silence from him, and considering his options, he spoke up again. "I'm sorry, I'm being really rude right now. My name's Serge. Serge Molenli. And I hope that, after all this is said and done, I could speak with you a bit more. If that's alright?" Despite everything, he still needed new people to recruit to the guild, and both Abdul and Octon seemed like people he would want. Though, the more he thought about it, he considered not hiring Abdul. It sounded like all he wanted was to go back home, and dragging him into a war sounds like the worst thing to do to a homesick man. He had indeed recognized their figures from the Heroes' Guild, as he had seen them in the corner of his eye when looking around for people to hire, and while he had promised Vesta the money, he also wanted to keep his options open. Serge held out his hand to be shaken by either of them, trying to be polite.

"The Golden Experience? They sure must have a lot if they frequent there often, or perhaps I underestimate how lucrative their musical ventures are." The man's looking made her a bit nervous, so Sidney thought quick to make an excuse. "Ah, well maybe you've heard of me... Sidney Faren. I've been traveling a lot, so I wouldn't be a big name here, so you might've just heard my name mentioned in passing. Or not- I'm not that famous." She tried playing it off a bit, and thought she did pretty well. The other man's comment surprised her a bit, and she shook her head. "No, no, I wouldn't be looking to join them, but the song interested me. I was looking to talk about some of the, ah, inspirations for it with the singer. And I might have a few stories of my own he might want to hear. Do you know him?"

"Well..." Cass supposed that her vigor for fighting wasn't anywhere near a secret to the barons, now. It didn't bother her, she supposed. And that Esclabor had a man in the runnings, what was his interest in this? For even Nelon to agree... It would make sense for Esclabor to be confident in his own man, but for Nelon to feel so strongly that Serge will lose to him, well... That's definitely a vote of confidence I can't argue with. "Of course not. We just met with the Queen. What foolishness would it be for either of us to dive into an arena fight right after that? Goodness..." Cass scoffed, but smiled. She might've enjoyed something like this, but with her post and their reputation to consider, not hopping in was perfectly comfortable.

As for Alain's question... "No... I'll have you all listen, please." Cass cleared her throat. "Owen has decided that he wishes for more time to think on the Queen's offers. They are both no doubt in agreement that Deira must be stopped, but Owen is... Unsure of the manner in which we should proceed. To return to Wyke, or to strike at Deira's capital, while their army is away. I know which I would prefer, but I shall not attempt to sway my brother towards either. I trust his judgement in all things."

"As for other things I've spoken with the Queen for, you're all cordially invited to my wedding~" Cass giggled gleefully, sitting back up and smiling towards Adele. This was the reveal she'd truly been waiting for! "I'll be getting married to this wonderful woman within the week. I'm sure you'll all manage your best behaviors at the ceremony." Ahh, what a feeling it was to announce such a thing, and to people that had no clue. Truly, Cass was as jubilant as she'd ever been. "Oh, and since it's such short notice, don't worry about suits or the like. I haven't even picked out dresses yet! Or... Adele, darling, would you rather wear a suit? Hmm... You wouldn't look half bad, really..."

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Well, it's true that it wouldn't do to immobilize myself with armor too big," Freya agreed. "But I am pretty fast for someone with the level of armor I have. I wouldn't mind being a bit quicker, though, while not sacrificing too much defensive capabilities. I'm a guard, but sometimes my employer is a bit reckless, so trying to keep up with her can be difficult if she acts too fast. Being at the front lines is important, but I can't always do that, and there are some... stubborn people who I work with." A bit reckless and some stubborn people- understatements if I've ever made any. "Do you have anything that could be suited for that? Or would a change in armor not really suit that?"

It seems Owen's words weren't quite enough, or there was more to Graham's fear. Nobody would blame you... but you have to stand up for yourself, my friend. Before he could add in another word, the giant that sparred with Graham chipped in his two cents. His words were rough, but encouraging and well meaning. "That's right, you have to work yourself there, Graham. It's not easy with the experiences you've had, the lives you saw fade before you... but courage is not something for few, it is from within." He pointed to his friend's chest, an allegorical gesture more than anything. "You have to search within yourself what it is that you want to do. Once it becomes strong enough to break the chains of doubt, you'll understand." With a pause for his words to sink in, Owen eyed the giant with more detail. Surely a fearsome frame, but his tone and voice summoned nothing such. "Thank you for looking after my friend. May I know your name, Sir?"

Unbearable Knight, Unbearable News

"'Wyke's overrun an' they have your ol' man.' Sounds like I'm givin' notice for ransom, dunnit?" Angus had been wandering aimlessly in the halls of the nobles' wards for upwards of a half-hour, trying out confessions on the furball in his arms. "'Sir Valter's with Deira f'r a bit'... nah, sounds like 'e's on a lark. 'Can't speak f'r anyone else back home, but your dad's prob'ly still alive!' What, did th'whole country get torched?" The mooncalf's phrasing couldn't stick, but his pet's sneeze could. "Didn' think so." Once again, Angus passed the door to the Valters' chambers--not that he'd been counting, but for the eighth time that night. "Hell, I should jus' get on with it. What's the wors' that could happen?" A question better answered by life than imagination. Hugging Geoffrey close to his chest, the mooncalf announces his presence with a vigorous fist.

*whump whump*

"Now, Geoffrey," Angus cajoles his pet, with that feigned seriousness any playful parent knew. "I need you t'be extra cute while we're here, alrigh'? Give 'em those doe ey--no, okay, tha's not the way." Really, the bear's mum had only himself to blame: leave such a tantalizing chew-toy of a nose in reach for so long, and what else could he expect? Angus breathes a light sigh of resignation: at least the three who could be inside already knew what a mess the two outside were. A nostril-chomping episode probably wouldn't count for much more!

Friendly Contest

Abdul laughed gently, putting his hand on top of Serge's. Octon followed shorly after, their three hands united in the middle of a small circle. "As long as you're not too beat up after I show you my stuff." Octon boasted, smiling confidently. "Abdul and I have known each other for a little while, we get along pretty well. You seem like a decent enough guy, no harm in making a few new friends, right?"

Lilith smirked, letting the three men make their conversation, she didn't really have any interest in making any friends. Shaggy was still stood gormlessly by himself, almost unaware of the other people around him. One of the arena attends had popped his head through the door, it was time for the first match. "Serge and Steve? You're up." he called out. The ginger in the corner stood up suddenly, muttering something to himself. It was likely he was Steve. Not too disimilar in build to Serge, the young man's eye twitched as he hurried to the door - nerves likely having gotten the better of him.

Nameless Noble

"Never heard of a Sidney Faren, miss." the younger man replied, furrowing his brow. "Ain't heard a name like that at all." The old man was pleasantly confused, he didn't appear to get any of the subtext in the conversation at all. Looking back at the stage, the young man pointed his thumb at the singer. "That's the son of Duke Aldus, Ferdinand. His dad's real important, used to be really good friends with the king. I've seen him about a few times, looks really scared nowadays." he muttered, keeping his voice low. "Ferdinand's a real charmer though, the ladies go nuts over him... heard he's not exactly pleasant though."

Wedding Invite

There was a silence after Cass revealed her wedding plans, both Nelon and Esclabor had been left completely speechless. Nelon appeared particularly puzzled, the revelation something that had probably not even crossed his mind. Esclabor began to laugh though, shaking his head merrily. "Makes more sense than marrying Kearney, your kids would probably end up half bear." he jibed, using any excuse to make fun of Angus. His expression became more serious than either Cass or Adele had ever seen it. "You think that you can pull it off though? I don't particularly care about true love or any of that nonsense." he added, his tone almost patronising. "Being Princess doesn't mean shit when you pull a stunt like this, it won't fly when we get home. I'm loyal to royalty, but I'm not going to burn with you supporting a mad whim. I hope you understand that your dad can't just fix them if you ask nicely, some things just don't fly in modern society."

Nelon had taken more time to choose his words, either out of politeness or needing time to think. "Princess, forgive my insolence, your choice is one that I do not oppose... but is now truly the best time to arrange a wedding?" Nelon asked, remaining calmer than Esclabor. "Baron Esclabor raises a valid point. We are in a foreign nation with limited supplies and our home nation is under siege. I understand your feelings, but these are difficult times. I do not wish for them to become more difficult for you."

Get Thwompy... or Thwompless?

"Never thought I'd see someone askin' for less armour." the store owner replied, scratching his bald head. He leaned forward across the counter, examining Freya to an extent where his faces was only inches from her. "I think I can work something out for you. You'll end up sacrificing some durability in the long run, but it should be more flexible at least. People always go for the joints in armour, so covering them up always makes it harder, both to attack but also for the wearer to move."

Freya is given options!
300G - +1/5% Speed, -1/5% Def
500G - +2/5% Speed, -1/10% Def
900G - +2/10% Speed, -2/15% Def
1200G - +1/10% Speed, -2 Def

The Thwomp

Graham sighed, still unable to find full comfort in Owen's reassurance. Looking up at Owen, tears filled his eyes. "I'm so scared, Owen... I want to be strong, I really do." he sniffed, wiping his eyes. "I need more time, I can't help anyone like this, not even myself."

The giant looked down at Owen, his frigtening face still constrasted by his gentle gaze. "Me Thwomp. I one of city guard. Sometimes Thwomp helps train people, he see Graham not happy, so he spend few days helping train." he replied, bowing down onto one knee - still nearly eye level with Owen. "Prince Owen, Graham say many things about you. Thwomp glad Graham has friends like you. He don't talk to many people here, finds too scary."

Live Rehersal

Angus' mutterings hadn't gone unheard, a sudden tap on the shoulder alerted to someone's presence. "Angus?" Decima asked, having approached the Baron from behind. Quickly moving to his front, Decima appeared incredibly concerned. "Is everything OK? Nona should be inside, but Morta's not here. You didn't have another fight did you? I haven't seen either of you since this morning. She's never been so far from home, I hope she hasn't gone somewhere dangerous by herself. We can go check with Nona, maybe she's seen her?"

"What? You can't both be that stunned. And sir Duhamel already knows. Really, I haven't been very secretive about this..." That Esclabor and Nelon were both stunned into silence made Cass wonder how attentive they truly were to things, though in the same thought, they probably had better things to worry about than their Princess' love life. Ahh, but here was the criticism she was waiting for. And Esclabor's was first~ Perfect. She'd already thought this stuff through. "Bear children is something I'd like to avoid, but..."

"I think we can pull it off. You're right, and right to stand by what you said. I don't expect all the barons to turn their heads and ignore this. I am one of two remaining Wykian royalty... My Father will likely be dead by the time we return. That leaves me and Owen... Some would call it unfair to lump the responsibility of raising a child on just him, but I'm also sure that some would be happy that the destructive princess Cassandra wasn't going to be bringing up a child." She eyed Esclabor exclusively for a moment. "I know what the nobility in Wyke thinks of me. I know that few of them think very highly, at that... And that is my job to change. It's been little over a month, but getting myself out of the castle is the best decision I've ever made. I don't know why my Father was so strict on keeping me locked up in there."

"I've learned things I never would have otherwise. What it's like to lead, travel, relations with those not of your own class. And managing to treat them with respect... You yourself, Esclabor. I haven't been kind to you. But that was not out of any mislike. I simply tried to be too friendly, too soon. I joke and prodded, and it was clear you didn't quite appreciate it. I should have respected your boundaries, rather than step through them." She cleared her throat, pausing, and blushing a bit. This was quite out of character for how she would've been back at the castle. Time changes many things. "And do not worry. I realize that true love and learning of respect are not things that will change the minds of Wyke."

She looked up at the sky. "I will have to stand by my brother as we take back our country and show them that I am not a trophy owed to royalty. That I can be a leader, or if not that, a respectable supporter of Owen's actions. I will have to earn that. And I will earn that with Adele at my side." She brought her gaze back to the barons. "How I will earn that starts with getting Wyke back, does it not? I can't please the people if there are no people left!" And that brought her to Nelon's question, which she was less confident about.

"Timing, well... I spoke to the queen of it. We all agreed that if war were to start, we'd put that first. And it doesn't have to be a big ceremony... Nothing expensive." She didn't quite know what else to say on that. It was definitely a strong point, but she hadn't been thinking of that when she was off buying those rings...

It was somewhat startling to hear that Queen Ethel had given her approval to host such a wedding--what with the war almost at hand and the nature of the wedding itself. But if he had to guess, her reasoning was simply a matter of cost and gain. It gained Ethel a political ally and a foothold in Wyke, and any backlash from Raewald's own would be quelled by the coming war and the subsequent victory thereafter. Any dissent from Wyke would be Wyke's own issue to deal with. 

"While part of me agrees with Baron Nelon, this may prove to actually be the best time for such an arrangement to occur. If reports are to be believed, Wyke is currently besieged by Deiran forces, as Princess Cassandra has said. The people of Wyke ought to have more important things on their minds currently, commoner and noble alike. Being liberated by their princess might be enough for such a matter of personal detail to be overlooked thereafter," he offered.

"As long as the ceremony remains small, it shouldn't prove to delay much of the war effort. Besides, loathe as I am to admit it, there is a possibility that Lady Adele or Princess Cassandra perish in battle. It would be best to sort these things out now before regret can seep through. That's just my perspective though, and given that I am not of Wykian blood, perhaps I'm not considering all that there is to consider..." He looked towards the battlefield, unsure of what else there was to say. 

I must say, you're rather brazen Cassandra. I didn't think you'd go straight to the Queen.

Perhaps I should try that as well... 

Learning that Morganna took years to learn the spell did little to dissuade Claire. I don't have years, but if Morganna was still at the college at that time, she must have still been learning herself. With far less to focus on and hopefully fewer distractions, Claire felt confident that she could pick it up much quicker. Being redirected to another tutor was slightly irksome - as she was inclined to trust Tartus' capabilities - but it was all she had.

"I see. Thank you then, Tartus." She nodded at the scholar, before navigating the crowds on the way to the staircase. There were a few mages dotted around nearby, including one... unwelcome familiar face. Please, don't be the one... "Is Constance here?" she asked, a smidgen of caution in her voice. Claire certainly hoped that the elderly woman from the asylum wasn't Tartus' acquaintance. She hadn't left a good impression, to say the least.

The reaction was to be expected, really. Escablor and Nelon both represented the nobility back home... set in their ways and unwilling to change. Escablor's resistance was the strongest, with Baron Nelon significantly more held back in his response.

"It is not a matter of whether I think we can pull it off or not. We will pull it off. We will return to Wyke already wed, under the power and authority of Queen Ethel, and no matter the cost... we will uproot her from Deira's grasp. And if there are fools more concerned with our marital status than restoring our country, and pushing back against Deira, then we already know where their loyalties lie. We shall have no need of such foppish tomfoolery in Wyke's time of need, when our men and their time are both needed to bring her back to glory, and the Prince Regent shall agree with me. Cassandra is already beloved by the people, and even more so she shall be when we return to Wyke and liberate her. I suspect she shall be held so dear by the common folk, that any house to speak against us will find themselves run out by the peasants beneath them." Adele replied, before laying back in her chair.

"And if we are to fail, then it does not matter either way. If I am to die, I shall do it with no regrets, as Sir Duhamel put it. But I've no intention of dying, and no intention of allowing anyone to come between Cassandra and I. Whatever it takes."

Constance looked up from the book she was reading. Her eyes widened slightly. "You" she muttered. "That girl from the Asylum." She kicked a seat forward. "Sit. It's fortunate you've come to me. I was planning on seeking you out later. It would have been a difficult task not knowing your name." She waited for the girl to sit. "Now tell me everything you know about a man called Malaphar."

Edited by Jotari

Serge smiled. It was good to see that there wasn't any hostility between the three of them, and he hoped that didn't change once somebody lost. However, just as he was about to respond Octon, one of the attends had called out for him and...someone else. Someone named Steve. It was at this point Serge noticed the contestant getting up, nervously he might add, and he finally got a good look at him. He was very similar to himself. Identical muscle build, wielded a sword, even the hair color was nearly the same, though Serge's was more of an actual red color while Steve had more orange in his. Still, what concerned Serge the most was that only now he had noticed him, and even if he could sense Steve's nerves across a hilltop, he was still cautious about all this.

"Looks like I'm up first then." He said, as everyone removed their hands from the link. "Well...Hope to see you in the next round, then. And good luck with your fights." With that, he walked away from the two, and off to the door. Things were about to get interesting.

"Ugh..." Claire muttered under her breath as the rude old woman from earlier that day responded to her call. It just had to be her, didn't it? Claire settled into the seat without much fuss, but just how she was being treated rubbed her the wrong way. "You're Constance then, I assume?" She managed to restrain her frustration from showing in her voice, but she was evidently in no real rush to fulfill her request.

If you're going to be like that, then don't be surprised when people don't want to cooperate with you. A small part of Claire wanted to turn back and badger Tartus to teach her about illusions instead, but the mention of Malaphar kept her in her seat. Instead, she sat up straight, ready with a rebuttal. "If I agree, then I'll ask for something in exchange. I'd like you to teach me illusion magic, at least to the basic level." There was no point in divulging the information for free, after all - and with how grouchy Constance appeared, the younger mage doubted that she would teach her out of 'the goodness of her heart'.This was her bargaining chip.

Constance frowned. "Why do you wish to learn illusion magic? Do you fancy yourself some deciple of Malaphar's and wish to follow in his footsteps? If so that is noth a path I will help you walk down. I made that mistake once before and I don't intend to do so again."

Edited by Jotari

"I don't want- wait, you were one of his pawns?" The revelation came as a shock, causing her to lean in closer and try to size the woman up. "How long ago was this?" She hardly looked young, but Malaphar himself still seemed fairly youthful. She might have hint towards his origins, if Claire was lucky.

"But, to answer your question, that's not why." A mixture of anticipation and anxiety washed over her, causing the mage to fidget in her seat absentmindedly. "If there's a foe you can't defeat with strength alone, your best option then is to outwit them. Better understanding of his magic makes it easier to discover its shortcomings, and the best way to do that is to learn it on my own. This time, I want to kill him properly." Her last statement was a tad ham-fisted, but Claire hoped it got her intentions across. With or without Constance, she would find a way.

"A pawn" Constance muttered. "Perhaps I was. Though it would more apt to say I was a fool. I helped him many years ago when he was less than he is now, though even then he possessed that..." Constance paused. Her eyes grew hollow as her mind was cast back to a long memory. "World" she finally whispered. "I don't believe in killing, on general principle, but if there's one person this world would be better off without, it's him. I will help you, but I must warn you, illusion magic will not be enough. His powers go far beyond mere illusion. I fear defeating him with any kind of magic may be impossible. He seems to have mastered every art there is. Attacking him physically would be more effective. Though I am not expert. It has been many years since he and I last met."

Edited by Jotari

Misplaced Optimism

"It's a nice thought, but what the peasants think doesn't mean squat. There's a reason everyone listens to your father, people at the bottom follow what those above them say. Even if you get them on your side, nobility's going to roast you alive, and anyone who stands with you. We don't know what Wyke's going to be like when we get back, you might just be enough to send it into chaos." Esclabor replied, still somewhat bitter about his previous mistreatment by Cass. Adele had raised a few additional points, but even they hadn't been enough to win him over. "Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them fools. You're the ones breaking the norm, you can't expect people to all share your views or be thrown aside because they don't agree with-..."

"Thomas, that is enough. As unorthodox as the union of Princess Cassandra and Lady Herman is, we cannot assume the worst is guaranteed." Nelon interjected, attempting to prevent the discussion from becoming too heated. "They are no longer children, they must make decisions for themselves. If the outcome is in their favour, then there shall be no issues. However, I am certain that they acknowledge things are unlikely to be ideal and straight forward.

Esclabor sighed, still not content. "I hear you, Ceirch. I just don't want to go seeing their heads on stakes, not really my kind of decor." he replied. "It's a sad day when marrying Kearney is a better alternative... well, might as well enjoy watching Serge getting thrown about."

Even Steven

The two men had entered the arena, the crowd surrounding them in the stands. Many of the crowd were commoners, although there were pockets of nobles sat in the more optimal seating, brightly coloured clothes standing out from the washed out tones of the peasants. The announcer, a smartly dressed woman with two armed guards following her, stepped out into the middle of the arena. A loud bell sounded, quieting down the audience.

"Welcome to Tytila's Colleseum! Our first battle is between two unknown fighters! Serge and Steve!" she called out, her voice being drowned out by the cheers. "Will either progress beyond the second round? Or are they simply interchangeable footstools for their next opponent? Let the battle begin."

Steve stood at the other side of the arena to Serge, his eye still twitching as he gripped his blade. "He looks really scar-... fuck... what I am doing?" he panicked, his hand shaking. "No, Steve, he's just as much as a... a loser like you. He probably bums around bars and does any job he finds."

Serge selects his Iron Sword!
Steve selects his Steel Sword!

Cass and Adele cheer for Serge!
Nelon and Alain remain neutral!
Esclabor cheers for Steve!
6 members of the audience cheer for Steve!
4 members of the audience cheer for Serge!

Serge @ Iron Sword
39/39 HP
10 Atk, 70% Hit, 0% Crit, 12% Adept, Charge Possible
Skills: Adept, Charge

vs

Steve @ Steel Sword
35/35 HP
11 Atk, 83% Hit, 5% Crit
Skills: Vantage, Shade, (!)Rattled

Steve attacks with his Steel Sword!
(54 21)
Steve deals 11 damage! (28/39 HP remaining)
Serge attacks with his Iron Sword!
(46 27)
Serge deals 10 damage! (25/35 HP remaining)
(79)
Even Serge begins to charge!
(65 69)
Steve takes 10 damage! (15/35 HP remaining)
(43)

"How did he-... shit... this looks bad."

Serge attacks-... wait!
Even Steve begins to ambush!
(15 90)
Serge takes 11 damage! (17/35 HP remaining)
Serge attacks for real this time!
(68 56)
Steve takes 10 damage! (5/35 HP remaining)
(58)
Serge charges again!
(84 78)
Serge misses!
(80)

Steve attacks with all his might!
(31 31)
Serge takes 11 damage! (6/35 HP remaining)
Serge counters!
(91 31)
Serge misses!
(94)
Serge charges!
(52 4)
Serge takes down Steve!

"... Crap... baskets..."

Serge gains 30 XP!
Serge gains 7 Sword WEXP!

Steve dropped to the ground, knocked out by Serge's last blow. The crowd roared, the tight battle had kept them on the edge of their seats. "There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Steve is-... wait... Serge is victorious! Serge progresses to the next round! Don't go anywhere, the next battle will begin shortly!"

Cass would have to thank Adele graciously later, she was definitely as prepared as Cassandra hoped. Still, Escalabor wasn't as favoring as she'd hoped, though about as much as she'd expected. She sighed. "I know what you're saying is true, but you're not listening to us, Thomas," she said, his name perhaps more cutting than necessary. "We're ready for that. I would much rather die than live with this regret, or continue on with a lie... Adele may be being too harsh; she's passionate, but she has one thing right. If we are the main agenda of the nobility after Wyke is saved, then there is an issue, and I will be glad to point that out to them at length... Saving and restoring our country should be more important to all those present once the dust settles. What comes after... We shall see. But simply to assume that breaking the norm of what is will bring ruin to us, isn't--"

Cass was cut off as well by Nelon, huffing quietly. "Thank you, Nelon... We're ready for the troubles this brings. I've already had to face some, though I'm not quite sure how public that knowledge was made... Maybe Talmot will inform you, if you'd rather speak to someone else." Cass almost rolled her eyes, but it still seemed Esclabor had their best interests in heart, even if he was too crass about it. Heads on stakes... We'll see who ends up dead at the end of all of this.

"Yes. Let us. Though I think you'll be surprised to see that Serge can hold his own when he wishes." He probably will get tossed about a bit, though... To prevent the annoyed feeling from growing further, Cass stood up in her seat, belting out a cheer. "SERGE! KICK HIS ASS!"

----------

It had actually been a rather close fight, but Serge's quick footwork seemed to have confused or simply intimidated the other man, leading to his victory. Cass leaned back in her seat with a sigh of relief, smiling just a bit smugly. "See? He's not just any common sell sword... For now. First round, and all. Still, that's quite promising. But, goodness! Who knew cheering for something like this could be so exciting? I was never near the fighting pits in Wyke; this is truly a fascinating sport."

Edited by Nanami Touko

It was a tough fight. Steve had swung first, and unfortunately it had caught Serge off guard. But despite that, Serge was faster, and it seemed like Steve couldn't handle that. Though, Serge had missed a few strikes, and that was troubling. All the same, he had noticed Steve from the moment he stepped out that he was mentally unprepared for the fight, and that Serge had only won due to him being more stable. And it was here he realized something: despite all his time fighting, he didn't have nearly enough skill with the sword that he needed, and if he was going to survive any longer, he needed a proper technique. He needed actual training. But for now, he had to rely on everything he learned along the way.

He looked up to the stands, and spotted Alain and Esclabor, along with Cassandra and Adele in the stands. He had heard the latter two cheer for him, as well as a few other people in the crowd, neither of them being the Baron or the Diplomat. Still, it was good to know somebody wanted him to win. And so, with his free hand, he gave the two ladies a thumbs up, and smirked. He hadn't done that in a long time, and felt it was a good signal to show that everything was ok, or at the very least he was doing fine. With that, he turned back to his door and walked out of the Arena and back into the waiting room, hopefully getting some healing done on him so he was at full strength for his next fight.

Spoiler

9th April 812, Late Afternoon; A one-sided discourse with the mad.

Emmet's death was still rather fresh, Owen had only slain the treacherous archer only minutes ago, but there was one other issue to deal with. Whilst Thantes had been slain in battle, his brother had surrendered. Esclabor had brought the wizard from the hills, dragging him along with a rope binding his hands, it appeared that the walk down had been irksome. He was a bearded man, somewhere near thirty years in age, and his robes were unlike any mage seen in Wyke. The furred edges and patterned fabric seemed almost tribal.

"You slay my brother and tie me up like an animal? Lord Malaphar will not stand for this!" Hippnos barked, nearly tripping as Esclabor gave him a particularly forceful tug. "You brute! You are no better than my brother!"

Esclabor wasn't particularly sympathetic, especially not against a man who had schemed with Malaphar to kill his liege. "Only difference is that I'm not dead." he replied, stopping before Owen and Claire. "Here's our good man here, he's got quite the mouth... hopefully he's more willing to talk now all his friends are out of the picture."

-

Claire gave it her best effort to hide how tired she was feeling by point. The battle and the events that followed had taken its toll on her, but they weren't finished yet. They just had one last job to do, and her favourite baron had delivered it right to them. For a moment, she wondered if the two groups were really working together (considering they hadn't at all during the battle) but the mention of the wizard quickly erased any doubts.

"You think that Malaphar will want you back after this? Are you really that deluded?" Claire sighed, wondering how strong Hippnos' grasp on reality was. The wicked wizard didn't seem like the sort to be merciful after such a huge failure. "And you're hardly in a position to be making demands. If you cooperate with us, things will be much easier for everyone involved." If he didn't... she really wasn't sure. Claire wasn't exactly comfortable with the idea of torturing him for information, but if it came to that, then was she just being too soft?

-

Owen was still agitated, though he made his best efforts to look down at the man properly... so long as the storm in his eyes was contained, his essence was there. He was no savage that bowed down to the harsh turns of life, he was Owen, Prince Regent of Wyke.

Lord Malaphar... how quickly I tire of his name, and you call him Lord of all things. "There is no Malaphar to whisk you from this now, I hope you will understand. If he meant to stop me with his power, would he send you and your brother?" Owen, tone was graver than usual, nearly commanding. Still, he shouldn't push his luck, while he had no idea what this tribal mage was willing to part with. "What is Malaphar to you and your late brother? Why would you serve such a man?"

-

Hippnos looked at Owen, ready to lash out as much as he could. "You little piece of-..." he began, lurching forwards only to be kicked to the ground by Esclabor. Cowering in pain, Hippnos gazed up at Owen, seeing a young man who was not going to take nonsense. "Nice try, wizard." Esclabor lectured, tugging again on the rope. "You'd be better off talking to Prince Owen, it'll be a lot easier than hoping your magical uncle comes back to save you."

"Lord Malaphar... said that our power would be enough to defeat you." Hippnos moaned, still in pain from his fall. "He said that we could prove our value to him by capturing you... Lord Malaphar made so many promises, why is he leaving me like this? His power, even wounded... was beyond anything I'd ever seen. He would never let someone as useful as me end like this!"

-

"It seems like your 'Lord Malaphar' has a habit of underestimating us, then." Claire commented, looking down on Hippnos with the same look of disgust that she would with one of Geoffrey's messes. "Have you ever met him? You fell for his lies and now that you've failed him, he has no use for you. It's simple. You're much better off telling us what we'd like to know. You've been abandoned."

She folded her arms as if the matter was settled. quickly moving on. "How did you meet him? What he did he promise you?" Owen's questions had been more or less answered inadvertently by Hippnos' ravings, but they were far from finished.

-

Hippnos grumbled, slowly crawling off of the ground and onto his knees. "Lord Malaphar came to us at night, I knew how powerful he was after he showed us his power... to appear and disappear at will, to move faster than the eye can follow." he replied, shaking his head. "He promised us a taste of his power, to enter into his world... to become beyond mortal men. How could you pass up the opportunity to experience such power?"

Esclabor was ready to kick him again, clearly not content with his mad ramblings. "It's all peachy until things don't go his way, Malaphar isn't particularly good at compromise." he pitched in, ensuring Hippnos didn't make any sudden moves. "He seemed to know exactly where were going, we didn't take his route at all."

-

Sighing, Owen shook his head as he heard the man's ramblings. Was there a rhyme or reason to Malaphar? He promised no such thing for Owen's group --though perhaps understandable with their focuses and concerns. They'd first call Malaphar a threat than trust his promises of power.

Yet, perhaps it wasn't too dissimilar?

Malaphar promised of knowing Owen's father. Made a show of his magic by burning foes to crisp... He wanted to lure him into a sense of security, of promise to know more of his father, perhaps? Then... his motives, and the extent of his relation with these men were similar. They were tools to and end, and Malaphar would likely not keep his end, or postpone his promises. After all, what were a few more favors compared to what he offered?

This also meant they would know little, then. Malaphar could withhold and part with any piece of information he deemed necessary in these deals. He seemed to underestimate their group... but that felt odd. I fear he might just be testing us... That seemed incredibly paranoid, but why would Malaphar not kill them on the spot, with all his power? What is the use of Owen's group in his eyes?

Claire's assumption was a curveball he hadn't considered prior. An infiltrator... but who could that be? Honestly, Owen wasn't kept up to date with his personnel, he could hardly guess... but he could ask. "Did Malaphar tell you of our whereabouts, or did you receive it from another allied with him?"

-

"A spy would make sense, how else would he have figured we'd be all the way out in Magonsaete? Right down to the beach we had to land on." Esclabor replied, furrowing his brow. "My money was on Emmet, always thought he was a little unhinged. I guess we'll know if more trouble comes up. Unless we've got someone secretly writing to Belial in the group, I'd be hard pressed to pin it down on anyone other than Emmet."

Hippnos grunted, looking up at Owen with a madness in his eyes. "Lord Malaphar told us personally that you would be here, we had over a whole day to prepare." he replied, starting to chuckle darkly. "His power and knowledge are beyond our simple comprehension. Beyond human... there is no mortal man who could face him on an even level. There is a seat for me at his side, I have proved that I am willing to serve despite any adversity..."

Esclabor tugged his rope again, shaking his head in pity. "I'm sure he'll love how you surrendered, I can picture him just appearing now and zapping you away to safety." he retorted, visibly tired of Hippnos' mad ravings. "You aren't worth anything to a man like him unless you're doing what he says, and you messed up big time. It'd be far easier to replace you."

-

"Really..." The added paranoia of a spy in their ranks, relaying to Malaphar of all people, was something Owen very much didn't want to process at the moment. He only hoped the sorcerer had knowledge from other means, wanted to believe, and not think much further at the moment. Delving too deep into the workings of that man was sure to degrade his sanity, after already killing one of his own.

"Is there?" Owen tired of the man's antics especially quickly, but in a different manner to Esclabor's. He took a step forward, looking the man down. "Then tell him to send a letter next time. It's rather discourteous to obstruct a prince's path with armed pawns." He scoffed, "If he does grace you with his presence once more, that is." Done with speaking to the man, he turned to Claire. "He's all yours, if you still have questions to ask."

-

Hippnos trembled, looking around as if he expected Malaphar to appear and save him at that very moment. His nerve had been broken, the man had been powerless to stop Owen, and his lord had not come to rescue him from capture. "Lord Malaphar... why do you not smite Prince Owen now? Your strength is enough to fell him... why do you allow me to suffer? Is this some sort of test?" he wailed, pressing his forehead down onto the ground. "What more do you ask of me?"

Esclabor sighed, he didn't appear to have much patience left for him either. "All yours, Lady Claire." he added, still holding the rope behind Hippnos. "Prince Owen... afterwards, what shall we do with him? Letting him free isn't exactly a good idea, but we don't really have the man power to keep an eye on him. It's your call, I'll listen either way."

-

Owen nearly huffed at the man's ramblings, though it did sprout a seed of confusion is his conscious. What was Malaphar's goal in letting Prince Owen go, if he knew Owen's location? There was not nearly enough information to tell why that was. The true disturbing matter is that I know so little of him, when he and my father have already crossed roads. Why was I spared this?

A long sigh later, and Prince Owen looked Esclabor pausedly, his mind machinating their captive's sentence. "He was wise enough to surrender. I've no plans to behead a man that lost the will to turn his sword against me." While he hadn't necessarily given up on slaying Owen, the moment told he wouldn't on his own. That man was only obeying who he perceived stronger, and Owen was sick of drawing his sword that day. "Check his body for any weapons, and throw him in the Magonsaeten wild. Let him fend off for himself, just like he let his brother die alone on a pool of corpses. That's the chance I give him to survive." Owen paused, but continued once more as he preempted any doubt his vassals would have. "Malaphar will always send more men against me, it matters not if we kill this one."

-

Claire gave some thought to Esclabor's suggestion, but quickly found herself dismissing the possibility with the shake of her hed. "Emmet was obsessed with the vial above all else. Even if Malaphar had a vial to gain leverage over him, why would he do... that?" It would have made far more sense for Emmet to have turned on them in the thick of battle, rather than the aftermath. It was an impulsive decision, not a calculated one. While it wasn't a nice thought however, she felt as though there was some validity to Esclabor's words, but they were probably still amongst them.

She wasn't sure who to distrust, but either way, their business with Hippnos appeared to be finished. Owen had asked her if she had any more questions, but Claire responded by shaking her head again. It seemed at though Hippnos had exhausted his usefulness. She looked down at their now panicking prisoner, mulling over Esclabor's words. Emmet was a threat, and he was executed. I don't see why this should be different.

That was, her theory at least, until Owen surprised her. She shot the prince a worried look, but it soon faded as she began to understand the gravity of his punishment. Her doubts hadn't faded completely, however. Maybe he surrendered, but is it really wise to let him go? If there was already a traitor amongst them, it didn't matter what information he could take back, but...

"If we see you again, don't expect the same mercy." Claire wasn't sure if he would crawl back to Malaphar, or if the wizard would even take him back, but taking precautions was always reasonable. "Malaphar's might isn't the only thing you should be worried about crossing." Perhaps they were weaker now, but the mage had no intention of letting things stay that way. As soon as they reached the capital, it would be back to work.

-

Esclabor was content with Owen's choice, either out of loyalty or a moral resonance within him. "Of course, Prince Owen." he replied, tugging Hippnos back away from the prince. "Come on, cheerful, you've got a wasteland to explore. Don't let the other natives eat you, I'm pretty sure some of the tribes here would find you rather tasty."

Hippnos struggled as Esclabor towed him away, falling to the ground and getting himself dragged through the dirt. "A curse on you, Prince Owen!" Hippnos screamed, twisting and turning in vain. "Lord Malaphar will never cease until he has achieved his goals! He will remember my loyalty! He will reward me for my acts! I mark my words!"

-

Owen couldn't help but watch the man bemoan and curse as he was dragged away by a content Esclabor. There was a chill in his spine as he let the man go, wondering if he were to meet with Malaphar again. To be accepted by him is no blessing. You'll be twisted into a shell of yourself, a monster subservient to fear alone. I pray it will not come to that... may he forget you. A silent prayer as the two disappeared in the woods, and Owen let out his breath, turning to Claire with an ever drained expression -that day had challenged much of his being, and his morals.

"Thank you for coming, Lady Bennet." He extended a formal nod, "Truth be told, you had no need to come if you wished not to. The duty should be my advisor's... yet I chose you to aid me in studying that vial and everything that it entailed. I hope I'm not holding you against your will." He'd never asked, it just came to mind. Hopefully, such a reliable person wasn't there unwillingly. Between the traitors and enemies, it'd at least be reassuring.

-

"Ugh..." It seemed as though Hippnos had no interest in listening to them, much to Claire's annoyance. "I wonder how many others would have been swayed by his offer." Things were very different in the Magonsaeten wild -they were far from the safety and comfort of Wyke in every sense of the word. That being said, they were practically a small army, by this point. If Malaphar thought that a small band of thugs like this could bring them down, then he was even more deluded than Claire had given him credit for.

Perhaps more surprising was Owen's tone, catching the mage slightly off guard with the formality. "Don't worry. I planned to deal with the interrogation on my own, if you didn't involve yourself." She put on a tired smile, trying to lift both of their moods. "I'm here of my own accord - you'd have a more difficult time getting rid of me than making me stay, by this point." She felt far too involved in this whole Malaphar mess to back away from it now. It wasn't just a problem they had to deal with as a group; to Claire, it felt far more personal. Perhaps not so much as Owen, but likely moreso than anyone else present.

But that was a matter for another day now. "Are you alright, Prince Owen?" Her faint smile gave way to a concerned frown. "I can imagine that Emmet was... erm... difficult." Claire soon found herself wishing that she hadn't brought it up, but it was clear on Owen's face that things were weighing on him. She went quiet however, not quite making eye contact. Finding the right words was difficult.

-

"I see..." To hear it from Claire --such conviction-- was reassuring. "It was but a doubt in the back of my mind. I'm glad that you are so willing to this cause." As long as it was the mage's will, he'd gladly let her continue research on the vial, and help him with Malaphar. There was no more doubt in his mind. "I do wonder where this will take us..."

At Claire's own question aimed at him, Owen mustered a weak smile, knowing very well he couldn't bear the day's events without causing concern to his vassals. The smile faded as quickly as it formed. "It was... I felt that he was a man that challenged reason. What were we to do? He had no intention in hiding his obsession, like a beast out of its cage, when that man provoked him. He was a threat, and surely if we kept him he'd only cause more grief. What were..." Catching himself repeating his words, Owen cut short, looking back at the mage. "I just hope I made it right. I've never done decisions like this before. That diplomat is probably cross over my action... I hope the Queen won't hear and hold it against us. Ha."

-

Claire allowed Owen to finish speaking what was on his mind before making any interjection herself, only nodding periodically until she was quite sure that he was finished. "Emmet was always a little strange." Had circumstances been different, she may have followed that with a laugh, but instead her features remained serious. 

"To think that he valued the vial over his own life though... I don't think that anyone expected that." Claire had seen glimpses of his devotion, but nothing concrete. Should she have paid more attention to his behavior and expected this? Maybe - but maybe not. It didn't matter now. Claire had learned that giving herself grief for things that were no longer within her power to change was pointless. 

Owen's struggles didn't seem dissimilar, now that she thought of it. "I think you made the right decision, though. Letting him go free after all of that... honestly, I was worried for a moment." Emmet's obsession with the elixir was evidently nothing to underestimate - and leaving him alive could have been incredibly dangerous. The fact that Owen considered letting him free was almost concerning to Claire, but the mage realized that cutting down a former ally was difficult decision to make.

"If she was so eager to meet you, I don't think something small like this would make Queen Ethel change her mind." Calling the whole sequence with Emmet 'something small' left a bitter taste in her mouth, and it showed in her face. In the grand scheme of things, their former ally was insignificant, but that knowledge didn't make her light frown go away.

-

"Indeed... I've seldom talked to him, only the time Emmet had spoken up when we held that makeshift meeting in the fort, is what I remember." The ground seemed increasingly appealing to stare at, the Prince attempting recollections of the late man. If a kingdom depended on how much Owen paid attention to the people, Wyke would be doomed. It's not a good thing, I should at least know those who travel with me better than a cursory glance.

"Something small, eh?" A furrowed brow as those words escaped his lips. Engel knew how small a life truly was --none at all, Owen's heart yelled--, in the end the value of life had meaning twisted by sin in the land of man. That was how the law of man decreed. "Sir Emmet of Dun... for the crown, that's probably as small as one of noble inheritance can get.  Not only as small a house as they come, Queen Ethel won't care for a non-inheriting son that embarked overseas in search of Engel knows what... Yeah, you might be right." Defeating himself with a somewhat unsatisfactory logic, Prince Owen exhaled a last anguished breath, wishing to put that day behind him.

"Well, soon we will reach the border. All that is left then is to reach Tytila, provided Malaphar decides to throw his toys at us no longer."Slow steps started, and the prince turned his direction back to the group. "I believe it's time to head back, we'll wait for Esclabor with the others. Thank you again, Claire, and... tell the others I don't wish to be bothered right now. Not yet." The tone was apologetical, but the prince's mannerisms made it clear it was no less of an order. For as much as he wished to stand firm, in times of hardship, the prince gained a small craving of solitude. I hope they won't ask, nobody need stress themselves with my worries.

-

It seemed at though Owen had come to the same conclusion as she had, although it wasn't a particularly pleasant realization. Claire sped up slightly to walk at his side, trying to read Owen's face. "I can do that." she replied with an accompanying nod. If anything came up, the mage could probably try to handle it... although she might have to rely on Ceirch or someone like that, depending on the issue. Assuming Nona hadn't finished off the wounded baron while they'd been gone, that is.

"I don't think we'll be ready to move yet for a while, so take your time." With their journey to Tytila nearing its conclusion, and the looming threat of Deira now another concern. the prince might not get a chance to rest again like this for a while. Claire didn't think that Owen was going to crack, but it was better to avoid that risk and make sure he didn't feel overwhelmed.

Sensing his friend no better than before, on the verge of tears even, Owen winced. "You don't need to be like me, Graham. You are yourself. You'll find your strength when it is time, it doesn't need to be now." But it needs to happen, one day... He hoped that words would convince, but it seemed his childhood friend had a shell even thicker than the armor he wore. Those events must have hit you especially hard. The loss of Jeeves certainly wasn't easy for the Hermans.

"Thank you, Thwomp, for keeping him company. It sure can't be easy for him to be here on his own. I know it was his father's will... but I'm glad he has people that care about him here too." A honest nod, Owen was pleasantly surprised by the giant's attitude. At least, now he knew where Graham was, and how safe he was. "I urge you to continue watching over my friend if you can. I thank you, as Owen, before the prince."

"Now Graham," Another glance his friends way way, "I know it can't be any easier while you're not sure of your father's fate now, but I'm going to ask you to trust me... and trust Jeeves." He took a step forward, a hand on his friend's shoulder, a firm grasp. "He always served your family dearly, to his last moment. I'm sure he wouldn't want to see you brooding over it so deeply. I say, he must still be watching over you, wherever he is, so... just remember you are not alone, wherever you may be, Graham." He released his grasp, taking a step back, "And if you need us, you know where to find me, your sister, Cass, and the others."

"Oh well, as I said, I'm not that renowned," Sidney dismissed the confusion. The mention of a name made her thoughts click, but she did her best to not show it. Ferdinand... He liked me when we were younger, though I didn't feel the same. Probably why I forgot him. So maybe the song has a level of... jealousy over the stories? "Do they go on for long, usually? As I said, pleasant or not, I think I know a few reasons he'd at least give me time of day, but I'd rather not make a big fuss about it."

"Hmm... join modifications. That does make sense," Freya agreed. She considered the options he laid out. The fourth seems the best, but it may be a strain on budget. "Well, I'll need to check with my employer first. But I like the last option the most. Do you think that would be something that if I came in tomorrow would be doable while maintaining a good time pace?"

A tap, like lightning, startles Angus. The mooncalf tickles the bear's cheek to prompt a change in chew toys--finding success, only for Decima to relate her sister's absence. "We... spoke," Angus admits. Any more on the subject would gladly be put off for now. "We were at market this mornin; I haven't seen 'er since'." The pressure on Angus began to lift; finally, it wasn't his antics in the spotlight. A bit more comfortable, Angus wondered for a moment where Morta might have run off to. Food? Drink? Her steed? A quiet place to be alone? If she hadn't bolted for the countryside, she should be fine, and would run into her sisters sooner rather than later.

"You know, that'd be a good idea. Sittin' in with Nona, I mean." Angus flashes Decima what he hopes to be an encouraging smile. "Best thing you could do is be here when she gets back; she'll get tired soon enough." If anything, the knight worried more about the girl in front of him. Morta had survived combat, but an evening in the city was a threat? Was she always afraid like this?