Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

He sighed. "There's no point talking to her Octon. Or trying to reason with her." He said, watching as Octon moved over to a corner of the room, with Shaggy waiting there, silently. He stared at the lance wielder for a while, trying to get a feel for him. But he got nothing. There was just this man, this fatigued, smelly man sitting there. And that same man was able to take out his opponent in his match without a single scratch. Hell, he didn't even look at him. The more Serge thought about fighting Shaggy, the more demoralized he got.  The difference between the way he held himself and the way he fought was like night and day, and he couldn't figure out why. Being adept with your weapon is one thing, but being skilled enough to dodge and deflect everything someone bigger than you throws is insane.

And it was unnatural. He wanted to say that maybe Bob the Brute was just bad at fighting, but even then, there were things that just didn't make sense. Here was this scruffy guy, who barely paid attention to anything that was happening around him, fighting better than a person with twice the muscle. Brains over brawn, sure, but there was no way someone could walk away from a guy like Bob without a few dents. Not without insane levels of focus. Was Shaggy smarter than he looked? Was this image of some messy bum just a ruse? If that was the case, why was this the first time he had fought Bob in the arena? Serge remembered the announcer words well. This had been Bob's fifth time in the Coliseum, and Shaggy was 'completely unknown newcomer'. So if Shaggy was this good at fighting, especially one on one, then why was this only his first time in the Coliseum? And why did he need Esclabor to give him dinner? Someone this good should have loads of jobs under his belt, and loads of money too.

There wasn't an explanation Serge could come up with. He just felt his mind going in circles and circles just thinking about him. He was a mystery entirely, and he couldn't solve it for the life of him. He looked away from Shaggy, finally. This was frustrating to him. Why did things have to go so badly? Did he really have that bad of a sense of timing? All he had wanted to do was get more money, so he could pay everyone, but whatever was watching over him had to mess with him. Between Esclabor and Nelon and their monster of a fighter, and Arteria and her blatant disregard for anyone's life in a non-lethal tournament, plus the fact that no one seemed to come in and take her away, probably due to the fact that no noble truly cares about them, things were just going from bad to worse. He should have known gambling was never going to end well, and he shouldv'e just tried to get jobs and save up some money so he could pay them.

Serge shook his head. Those thoughts weren't going to help him. He had to do something. If the world was gonna work against him tonight, then he was gonna fight back with all he had. He just had to figure out how...

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So you say..." Sidney frowned at his statements, briefly pondering how much truth there was to them, but the crowd of people around them was increasingly unnerving to her. Some of his statements seemed fair enough, but others conflicted with what the younger man she spoke with earlier said about him taking interest in current events. And the smile on his face was not encouraging her on terms of his sincerity. It took her a few seconds to realize the hand he extended to her, where she shook her head. "No, not me. I've asked what I want to, and I suppose those are the best answers you'll give me. I'll believe my eyes before the word of anyone else, so until I figure things out... I have no interest in that, nor any place here."

Sweeping her own hair away from her eyes, Sidney made her way past the small group of others. What's the matter with me? Am I seeing things too much when they're not there, or is Ferdinand just a cheeky jerk as he always was? There's never really an answer out there... She found herself wandering off throughout the city, until she looked up and had no idea where she'd found herself. The... herbalist?

Hard Life

The attendent dismissed Cass' response, he'd probably dealt with his fair share of complaints and unhappy nobles. "It's a tough life, kid. People ain't as lucky as you with money and friends in decent places. A lot of these folks have nothing if they die, fightin' here is the only chance they got at getting something done. There's dozens of people out there looking to fight, losing a few don't hurt nobody."

Cursed Hair

It wasn't long until Serge and Shaggy were called, a match that would decide the outcome of the mercenary's wager with Esclabor. The crowd cheered, having recovered from Arteria's display and Lilith's shocking defeat. "Here's Serge! Will he give us another thrilling fight? Will Shaggy's lightning fast reflexes be too much or will he come out on top?" the announcer called out, shortly followed by another roar from the crowd.

Esclabor looked down at Serge smugly, confident in his man's prowess. Even Nelon was getting involved with the atmosphere, but was markedly less expressive than those around him. Shaggy, as usual, seemed totally out of it, slowly turning his head to get a glance of Serge. The match began quickly, with Shaggy rapidly circling behind Serge for his first strike. His agility was frightening compared to his shambling walk outside of combat. Glancing a blow past Serge's shoulder, the mercenary would have to work to stay in the fight for long.

Spoiler

Esclabor and Nelon cheer for Shaggy!
4 members of the audience cheer for Shaggy!
6 members of the audience cheer for Serge!

Serge @ Iron Sword
39/39 HP
13 Atk, 17% Hit, 0% Crit, 12% Adept, Charge Possible
Skills: Adept, Charge

vs

Shaggy @ Iron Lance
30/30
6 Atk, 100% Hit, 1% Crit
Skills: Pursuit, (!)Advantage

Shaggy goes in for his first strike!
(33 27)
Serge takes 6 damage! (33/39 HP remaining)
Serge counters!
(42 26)
Serge misses!
(67)
Serge charges!
(56 14)
Serge misses!
(16)
Shaggy attacks!
(5 46)
Serge takes 6 damage! (27/39 HP remaining)

Serge may request any information available to him and perform a minor action before the next round of combat!

Earthy Smell

Ferdinand grinned smugly as Sidney retreated, not at all disheartened by the rejection of his offer. "Take care, I hope you have a pleasant evening..." he muttered, turning back to his friends. "Charlotte..."

The herbalist's hut was dimly lit, and a rather suspect smell filled the room. It was definitel some sort of herb, but which one was anyone's guess. A woman, probably somewhere near thirty, was tending to a few pots lined across a counter, but things appeared to be winding down - there wasn't anyone present in the store. "We're closing up shop in about half an hour." she called out, looking over her shoulder at Sidney. "If there's something you want, just let me know, otherwise it might be easier to come back tomorrow."

Edited by Shin

A smile from Graham marked a good end to their meeting after long, timely with the bell ringing. Owen had no intention to drag him back now that Graham had just mustered the strength to face his inner demons. "Very well... See you next time, friend." Owen made a passing comment, but Graham had already made a hasty pace to where he was called. Perhaps he'd heard, perhaps not. It must be a bother to walk fast in that kind of armor, honestly...

The gentle giant had a mind to speak again, his patterns and terms painfully simple, but they were good meaning words Owen would not brush off. "I see... big and strong opponents, huh?" I suppose that also applies to me. Huh. But how would I outsmart... "You might be onto something... but when your opponent is not only bigger and stronger, but their mind is not dull... I suppose that's when it gets really challenging, huh?"

"Shit!"

Despite the time he had spent preparing himself, Serge was easily caught off guard from Shaggy's blinding speed. He hadn't been able to stop Shaggy from getting right behind him and striking. Serge retaliated, and despite everything, Serge was able to swing twice. But, as he expected, he missed his mark both times. At this point, Serge had no more time to think. Now he had to act. Shaggy was still close, and from the first move, Serge knew what he was trying to do. He was trying to put him in a corner, just like he did with Bob. Everything was stacked against him.

"Is that all you got?" Serge stayed still in a kneeling postion, his last strike having been an overhead swing that Shaggy had dodged. It was true, he had been hit by Shaggy's attack, but it wasn't much. "You think you got me beat? You think just because you dance with a lance you don't even have to look at me?!" Serge was frustrated. Frustrated with a lot of things. He was frustrated that he was here, betting money on himself while letting nobles watch him suffer. He was frustrated that he had to be the one to face impossible odds, both from this random street bum and Arteria. He was frustrated that no matter where he went, money was always just out of his reach because of chance. He was frustrated at Alain and Esclabor for the way they looked down on him, as well as every other noble that did. And Serge was at the boiling point.

Serge slammed his fist on the ground, letting adrenaline pump him up. Then, he got up, and turned to face Shaggy, pointing his sword. "I have come too far to let you beat me! I've traveled too long to just lose! And I've got far more at stake than you'll have in your entire, gutter life!" The normally polite mercenary had unleashed his anger once more, and this time was not about to hold back. He raised his sword hand high, still wielding the piece of iron in his hand, and continued to shout. "I am Serge Molenli, Leader of the Hearthfire Crew! And I am not! Gonna lose! To the likes of YOU!" He had been shouting loud enough for the crowd to hear. And with that, he slammed his sword into the sand, then swung it once, causing sand to fly up in an attempt to mask him and how he was going to attack. From there, Serge swung, aiming straight for Shaggy's legs.

Edited by Dandragon

Blinding Dunes

Shaggy hadn't expected Serge's proclamation, although by the looks of things, he never really seemed to pay much attention to any of his surroundings. The cloud of sand had completely blinded him, allowing Serge to cleave in with his attacks. Shaggy made a decent effort of trying to avoid them, but without his vision, it appeared he couldn't quite predict where the mercenary was coming from. The crowd cheered as Serge's underhanded tactic put him back on a level playing field, giving him a chance at the battle.

Spoiler

Serge throws sand in Shaggy's face!
Shaggy's advantage is temporarily disturbed!
Serge attacks!
(0 78)
Shaggy takes 13 damage! (17/30 HP remaining)
(80)
Shaggy counters!
(37 70)
Serge takes 6 damage! (21/39 HP remaining)
Even Serge begins to Charge!
(20 45)
Shaggy takes 13 damage! (4/30 HP remaining)
(94)
Shaggy strikes back!
(57 74)
Serge takes 6 damage! (15/39 HP remaining)

Jumping back, Shaggy managed to clear his vision, wiping the sand from his eyes and getting back into a less vulnerable position. Esclabor was practically climbing out of the stands, raising his hand and shouting at his fighter. "Don't let that little toilet cleaner put you down, Shaggy! If he tries it again, you know what to do!" he proclaimed. Nelon nodded in agreement, carefully watching the battle as he appeared to count on his fingers.

Brain Power

"Sometimes even smart opponent forget things." Thwomp remarked, lowering his colossal axe to the ground with a heavy thump. "If enemy smart and strong, then things hard. However, if opponent know they smart and strong, they make mistakes. If they see opening and take it, they can leave themselves open. Or if they underestimate opponent. Everyone have weakness, it just matter of finding it."

"Cass..." Adele managed, the Princess' own defeated resignation weighing heavily on Adeltrudis, who stood for a moment, biting her lip. Before Cass had left the room, Adele stepped towards the desk... she didn't have Nacht with her, but this new axe was well crafted, it should suffice...

"Then what if I give you a participant? Serge Molenli is under my employ, and if you won't kick that murderous wench out, I have no intention of watching her gut him. If he is to advance to the finals and fight her, then allow me to do it in his stead." Adele announced, stopping at the desk with a determined fire in her eyes.

'I can't save this Octon fellow, but I... I can do this much. I won't stand to see you so glum, Cass...' Adele assured to herself.

"What?" Fight-- No! Cass stormed back over with renewed vigor and grabbed Adele by the arm, giving her a harsh tug. "I will not permit you to do this! If you were to lose, she would not... Sh-She wouldn't hesitate, to kill you. Just to see me squirm. I feel that is her goal with Serge in the first place, to see how I react to the death of a comrade... As much as Serge would hurt, I will not allow her to take you from me, no matter the chance of it. Please..."

Cass let her grip loosen, simply holding onto Adele's arm, as her gaze faltered to the floor. "We're so close. Please don't leave me before we get that far, Adele... Not yet." She wasn't at all confused about this. Whatever the case with Arteria was, Cass had earned her attention, even as just a toy; she wasn't about to be killed so long as she provided entertainment. Arteria wouldn't be anywhere near as lenient with anyone else.

What he was doing to cause the war? It was a strange comment, but Claire couldn't help but wonder. The wyvern rider claimed not to know of Malaphar, but he was the one who sent us to face the Reliants in the first place... Was it just a strange coincidence, or was it all connected somehow? It was difficult to say, and not the time to contemplate. 

"I'm Claire Bennett. You're Constance, I've gathered. The first thing I'd like to know would be your relationship with Malaphar." Right to business. "When did you meet him? Where was it? What was it you helped him with?" She sat up straight, eyes wandering away from the old mage for a moment. Her answers could have a wealth of information on their enemy, and they sorely needed it.

Serge had done it! He had hit him! Twice! Though he felt two lance blows in return, Shaggy still looked far worse than he did. But it wasn't over. Not yet. He still had to go down. He heard Esclabor shout from the stands, and that told him everything he needed to know. Throwing sand wasn't gonna work again. As Shaggy cleared his eyes, Serge needed to take his chance. He quickly moved around Shaggy, going directly behind him, as Shaggy had done to him before, and kicked him in the back. Whether Shaggy fell down or not didn't matter, because he followed up his kick with by swinging his blade in a vertical motion. If this didn't decide things, he wasn't sure what would.

Woosh!

Dancing With The Devil

Spoiler

It had been a cold winter, but Malaphar had cared not. Things like seasons and weather meant nothing in the search for knowledge. There hadn't been an aspect of magic he'd been unable to comprehend, although many were too trivial to pay much attention to. Either they were too weak or just lacked application, not like his World - that was a whole field filled with potential. However, as much as he'd been taught and able to have learned for himself, there was one being that he could not begin to understand without the assistance of another. As irritating as it was, pride was no substitute for the potential to ascend to a different level entirely. Rumours of a mountain witch had been easy to come by, and the forbidden energy in the air was only further proof that she knew what he sought after.

Approaching the mouth of the cave, Malaphar stepped out of the wind, unfurling his coat from around him. "You possess an interesting aura." Malaphar announced boldly, taking a first few steps forward. "I am a travelling scholar, I would be very much interested to listen to any... tales you have of your experiences. Both those of a magical... and a spiritual nature."

Constance had sensed the man approaching long before he came into view. She sat waiting for him, a fire flickering on either side of her causing shadows to dance across the walls. "I do not like to play games" she told him. "I will help you if it's in my power but you must speak plainly. Who are you and what is it you seek from me?"

Malaphar was never one for small talk or politeness if he could help it, but there was an etiquette that he forced himself to adopt in order to pursue his goals. "My... apologies." he began, the words almost burning his tongue upon uttering them. "I am Malaphar, a scholar from Wihtwar. I've been roaming the continent for some time... there is only so much one can learn from books. Experience is far more valuable when it comes from an expert in the field directly."

The woman definitely had a tainted aura about her, a dark energy that no seclusion could hide from him. He could almost taste it in the air. "More specifically, I've been pondering Engel and Belial for quite some time." he continued, ensuring he maintained at least an air of affability. "Engel is very much well documented and revered within the church... Belial is rather lacking. It has been difficult to find someone knowledgeable who has not yet been burned at the stake. You, however, appear to be an exception. I would be rather... grateful, if you would be able to share some of your wisdom on the matter. I can make it worth your while."

Constance smiled. "I see." Briefly she considered the possibility that this man was a spy from the church sent here to execute her but she quickly dismissed the idea. While his appearance was affable to a certain extent, his ambition and devotion to knowledge was clear.

"Wait here." She got to her feet and retreated into the back of her cave. A moment later she reappeared with a large book. Old but finely crafted and sturdy. "This is perhaps the most valuable thing I own." She held it up to the fire light showing the forbidden symbol ordained on its cover. "The book of Belial. It has taught me much and provided guidance in a time of darkness." She opened the book and leafed through the pages. "The church would have you believe Belial is a monster who lives only to see others suffer. But this couldn't be further from the truth. He is a force of balance in the world.

"Engel forces his users into absolute servitude and utter selflessness. Belial encourages the self. The church wants the world to submit to a higher power, but we of Belial believe in achieving a higher power within ourselves. By embracing uncertainty and converting it to knowledge. Belial will help you with that goal if you prove your devotion to him. There is truth in the more monstrous rituals that the church spreads about our kind but they are wholly unnecessary. Killing or maiming is only done to show the extent of one's willingness to serve Belial but the same effect can be gained through fasting and prayer. I personally discourage the harming of others but one of the most wondrous things about Belial Worship, is the freedom of choice it provides. You may worship him in whatever manner you see fit, the only necessary traits are courage and dedication." She tapped the book. "Have I satisfied your queries? Or is there something more specific you wish to know?"

As obnoxious as this woman was, she at least was able to provide Malaphar with the information he wished to hear. "Embracing uncertainty, a power within oneself? To my ears it appears Belial differs very little from Engel in his fundamentals. Do followers of Engel and Belial both submit them to the commands of a figure above? Taking what power that their service allows them." Malaphar replied smugly, hoping to dig deeper into her knowledge. "What does Belial ask for in exchange for his gifts? If he encourages thinking of oneself, what could he gain from a selfish follower?"

It was perhaps a difficult question, maybe even insulting, but Malaphar needed to know the full depth of this woman's dedication. If he could challenge her and see her defend her beliefs in full, his understanding of Belial's followers would be completely enhanced. "Not to say that following Belial is something undesirable, but dedication to such a mysterious entity requires a great deal of consideration, does it not?" he asked, his question more of a statement than anything else.

Constance tried to hold back a snarl as Malaphar compared Belial to Engel. "Of course it requires a great deal of consideration. The fundamentals of the relationship is based on sacrifice. You get as much from Belial as you provide him. He asks for nothing but rewards what you willingly offer. Be it your blood, your body or your soul. One could say Belial grants his power to those that...amuse him." Phrasing Belial's desires in such a way made Constance feel slightly ill at ease. There was a large degree of truth in it but she never really considered it that way. Somehow it made the whole ritual seem less sacred. And the relationship between woman and god as less than one of equals as she'd previously believed. This man before her was...unsettling with his questions.

Amusement? Is that all that Belial required from his pets? It made sense, looking down on people beneath him was something Malaphar could very much relate to. It was information that showed both the deity's intentions and also how pitiful his followers were. Did they not want greatness for themselves? It was amusing how they were willing to live in Belial's shadow for a desperate chance to gain something for themselves.

"How much would you offer Belial?" Malaphar asked, needing to push the woman's faith to its limits - even if for only his own amusement.

Constance smiled slyly. "What I offer Belial is a private affair. You need not know."

"What would happen if one came promising power beyond Belial? Would that not tempt you from your path? If you gain what you offer... would it not make sense to gain more for less?"

"A power beyond Belial? Hmm, it's an intriguing thought but you as it to the wrong person. Those of Belial are not entirely composed of the blind and greedy. I am entirely satisfied with what Belial gives me. I have no more need for extra power. If I could gain it with less sacrifice then that would obviously be preferable but my current deal is already quite acceptable. Do you happen to know of a deity that would grant such high favours for free?"

Malaphar grinned, being satisfied with mediocrity was such an alien concept to him, his desire to be at the top wouldn't even allow him to consider it. "I do not know a deity, such a being is too detached from our own reality. However, I would be willing to share with you a glimpse of my own power." he boasted darkly, a menacing scent of pure energy seeping into the air around them. "Engel controls the heavens above, Belial has his depths below, and we walk the ground beneath us... but I have a domain of my own. My own World... would you care to join me?"

The atmosphere of the cave shifted as Malaphar made his claim. "Interesting" she muttered, neither disgusted nor afraid of this man's claim to be a god. She found the idea both strange and confusing but outwardly her face was calm and reserved. If it wasn't for the aura of power that surrounded him she would have taken him for a madman. "Very well then. Show me this power that makes you a match for my god."

The cave around the pair had grown cold, a swirling vortex of cold air sweeping across Constance's ankles. A dark haze engulfed their surroundings, the wind growing more intense as an unpleasant shifting sensation afflicted the hermit. It certainly didn't feel like she was in her cave any more, but where she was going was anyone's guess. Malaphar stood in front of her, just as smug as before. The journey to his World didn't bother him in the slightest, in fact, he almost felt like he now enjoyed it. "Can you feel it? No longer are we in the realm of mortals, nor Engel or Belial, this is a place where the only power to answer to is my own." he boasted, appearing somewhat unhinged for only a brief moment.

Without warning, the clouds around them dispersed, dissipating into the air. They were no longer in the cave, but in a flat green field, surrounded by gentle hills and with a blue stream running through its middle. The realm would have been relatively peaceful if it hadn't been for an unsettling feeling in the air, a sharp metallic taste that couldn't be ignored. The sky above was clear, but its unending blue was tainted with a subtle shade of red.

"Welcome to my World." Malaphar proclaimed, raising his arms to show off his domain. "You are in a privileged position, you are the first individual I have brought here. Previously it had taken me several attempts to even enter here myself, but my control has grown greater. It was only for a few moments at a time, but it became longer each time. Eventually I was able to enter at will. Is this not a power beyond regular men?" 

Constance leapt to her feet as the caved around her vanished. She looked left and right. Some kind of teleportation? No...He speaks the truth. This is not Angelcynn. She was shaken but she did her best not to show it. "Indeed. Beyond mortal men." But not beyond Belial I'd wager. As she talked she reached out with her mind and prayed, hoping that now among all times, Belial would be willing to answer her. "Who are you  Malaphar?" She spoke directly. Using the force of her own personality to try and pierce the aura that surrounded him.

Malaphar began to laugh, his gentle laughter tainted with a cruel superiority that he had barely attempted to hide. There was an emptiness in Constance's prayers, a feeling that her words would not be answered... or even heard to begin with. Perhaps he had been right, perhaps this was Malaphar's own domain to rule beyond all others.

"I'm a man with goals beyond those of the simple people who walk the Earth." Malaphar replied, his smile disturbing and slightly unhinged. "Through making the full use of my natural talents, I have been able to ascend beyond any ordinary magician, with a power which would make the high wizards of Wihtwar shake in their boots. To understand the world and energies around us is one thing, to harness and control it is another. To worship and revere gods is simple work, but to gain power to approach them is a whole other level. Why settle for what is freely offered... when one can strive, work and take all there is for themselves?"

Stepping towards Constance, the pressure in the air around her increased. "I'm not an unreasonable man, I want to use this ability to ensure the best for Angelcynn. Those who were willing to share my goal would be very welcome to see it happen. Tell me, what would you like to see in your future?" he asked, his question as much of a threat as anything else.

"Take me back" she said horsely. "Do what you will with this power but it interests me not. My cave and my cures are enough for me." She picked up the Book of Belial that had fallen to the ground when she got to her feet. "Here, if you wish to know more about Belial then take this. Everything I know came from between those pages." She held the book out for him to take. At this range his aura was overpowering. It took all of her will power to stand securely on her feet and not back down from this unnatural figure.

Malaphar couldn't quite understand her lack of joy with his domain, perhaps only he were at a level to comprehend its brilliance? "Do you not wish to remain longer? Or to see more of it?" he chuckled darkly, the sense of gravity only increasing as he stepped forward to take the book. "I'm incredibly grateful, and that's something I never say lightly. Those who aid and assist me are always greatly rewarded, sometimes in ways they do not even realise. I shall remember your help." 

With information like this, and a copy of Belial's own texts, there was so much he could achieve. His grand schemes were no longer distant dreams... but a delicious future reality. His laughter continued, he was almost unable to contain his pleasure. "Ten years, twenty years... perhaps even fifty... there will be a new age, one I am certain you shall enjoy."

The space around Constance began to twist and distort, the image of Malaphar disappearing as she was surrounded by a dark void. It was only for a few seconds, but there was a great sense of emptiness in the realm around her. And then she had returned to her cave, nothing had changed since she'd left.

Malaphar was nowhere to be seen, either in his own world or somewhere else, Constance had managed to escape the sorcerer. For now.

"I met him in my home, here in Raewald. Many, many years ago. He came to me seeking knowledge and like a fool I gave it to him. I knew he was bad news yet I helped him. I told myself it was his choice to do good or bad with the power I gave him. And at the time I believed it. Now, after Reward almost broke out into war the first time, I feel somewhat responsible." Constance noticed the look in Claire's eyes. "I know what you're going to ask next. What sort of knowledge. I'll tell you but I'd appreciate it if you don't cause a scene. I taught Malaphar everything he knows about Belial."

Edited by Jotari

Blindsided

Spoiler

Serge circles behind Shaggy and kicks him!
Shaggy turns around!
Shaggy's advantage is temporarily disturbed!
(48 67)
Serge takes 6 damage! (9/39 HP remaining)
Serge puts all his might into his next attack!
(40 68)
Serge knocks out Shaggy!

Serge gains 6 XP!
Serge gains 6 Sword WEXP!

Shaggy had been taken by surprise, turning around and following Serge. "Blast, Shaggy can't follow if he's not looking." Esclabor lamented, clenching his fist. Looking down at the seated Nelon, he could tell things had gotten bad. "Ceirch? What are the odds of Shaggy pulling through this? I'm glad you still have plan B." 

Nelon simply shook his head, putting his hands down. "It is unlikely that Shaggy will be able to respond suitably on his own, the match is likely to end with the next strike."

And that it did, Serge's final sword strike had been clumsy, but it had done the job. The flat of Serge's blade bonked Shaggy on the head, causing him to collapse in a pile on the ground. The crowd cheered, Serge's narrow victory had kept them on the edge of their seats, even with his underhanded tactics. The announcer clapped her hands loudly, whilst her attendants pulled Shaggy away. "There we have it, Serge will be going through to the final!" she proclaimed. "Will this newcomer surprise us all with a first time victory? Only time can tell!"

Afterthought Contender

The attendant looked at Adele as if she were mad, stupid or somewhere in between. He appeared to think even more poorly of her request than he had of Cass'. "Yer really don't understand how things work around these parts, do yah?" he lectured, visibly irritated by their demands. "If you don't want yer mook beaten up, go ask him to drop out. Just because yer got the liberty to prance around and tell yer servants what to do... it don't mean you can get yer way wherever you go. If yer want to fight her so badly, do it afterwards, we'll even keep the arena free for yer."

He had won. Shaggy was down, and Serge had, at the very least, won the bet between him and Esclabor. 1500 Gold was guaranteed for his pockets. But...it felt empty. It didn't feel right to him. The fight wasn't honorable, at all. Then again, what had honor gotten him? It had gotten Emily dead, that's what. He was a mercenary, trying to make a living. Not some guy obsessed with a fair fight. And yet, as Serge watched Shaggy get dragged away, he felt guilty. Now that he cooled off, and had thought about it, Shaggy was just trying to survive here. And get food. And now, Serge took that away from him. That's how the world is...Somebody always loses...

Before he started walking back to the waiting room, Serge took one last look out of the corner of his left eye at the stands. Specifically, where Esclabor and Nelon sat. Cass and Adele weren't there, and neither was Alain, but Serge was far more focused at the two Barons. While he still didn't know what had happened entirely, he was sure that something was fishy about it all. And so, Serge gave the two a good, long stink-eye, before going back to the waiting room.

Well, between Cassandra's adamant insistence that she not go through with this, and the arena attendant's quick dismissal, it seemed that Adeltrudis was going nowhere fast. Letting out a defeated sigh, Adele took one step back from the counter.

"Fine. Can you at least call for him to see me?" The young heiress asked, her expression sour. Maybe if they got in well enough with the Queen, she could have this man beheaded. The Queen seemed to enjoy beheading people for little to no reason, after all.

"Oh, of course. It is rather late." Sidney felt rather sheepish for being at the store at the late hour, though it hadn't exactly been a specific destination she was planning to visit. She looked around at the shelves, before realizing once again she was strapped for cash. How did I not remember to take anything at all from home? There has to be at least some in my room... It'd be rude to not say anything. "Well, I don't know exactly what I'd get, so maybe tomorrow would be better. What, uh, sort of things would you recommend for me to get, anyway? Mostly came by because I was curious, not with any goal in mind."

"I'm going to head back to the stands, now... Please, for my sake, don't do anything crazy. I know how that must sound, coming from me, but, just... Please, Adele." Cass could only hope now that all Adele did was speak to Serge, instead of jumping into the match. With great hesitation, she let go of the woman's arm, heading back to their seating area.

And upon returning, she got to see no one on the field, and a nearly dejected looking pair of barons. "What happened? Did Serge lose already?" That was the expected outcome with the madman these men had brought in. "Sure he couldn't have beaten your man... You were both so confident, too." Cass snickered, almost smiling. Almost, because that meant Serge had pushed himself one stage further towards Arteria...

"You mean that Malaphar was the one who almost caused the war?" This didn't add up. Based on his appearance, he would have to have been an infant by that time - how could he have had so much influence. He's older than he looks, then. Just where did this wizard come from? And where had he been in the years in between - simply biding his time? No, Ezekiel was proof enough of that, but there were too many gaps in Claire's knowledge to say for sure.

She had been prepared for whatever Constance's answer may be, but the mention of Belial made her eyes widen. Claire took her time to contemplate the dark mage's words in an unsettling silence. "I thought he considered himself above dieties. He seemed far too proud to grovel at another's feet, even on the verge of death." She was still unsure of how to properly take this news. Engel and Belial had never been of any concern to her, tucked away in Wihtwar, leaving her with no idea how to judge Constance.

"I assume that you follow him as well, then." It was the logical conclusion, but any assurance that the older woman was otherwise would make this situation... easier. I still don't even really understand what he's supposed to be... Perhaps if Claire was a church-goer, she would have a better idea (or a perception of him, at least), but currently she was clueless. "What did Malaphar want from something like Belial? Why would someone even follow him in the first place?" Her voice wavered slightly towards the end, watching carefully for any spells. If Constance was a fanatic and got offended by this, this wouldn't be the first time in recent memory that Claire had gotten herself into trouble.

"I agree with you. Grovelling does not suit him. Even when I first met him and his knowledge of Belial was limited, he still believed himself beyond the gods. Yet still, he clearly desired something from them and appreciated my help greatly. You seem to misunderstand Belial as most do. What did they teach you of him over there in Wyke?" Constance waved her hand. "Actually I don't want to know. The truth of the matter is that Engel promotes slavery and close mindedness while Belial encourages freedom and wisdom. That is why someone would worship Belial."

Edited by Jotari

"... Yes, she is that," Freya agreed. "And always getting herself into all sorts of trouble, and very quickly at that. Well, thank you for your assistance, sir. If you'll excuse me, it is important I'm not too late." If this is the right place. Her path more clear, Freya listened to the guard's directions and headed as quick as she could to the Academy, hoping that she was on to something.

It didn't take long before she reached the Academy. What she assumed was a normal school seemed to have a training grounds as well, and she was pleased enough that Owen was there, along with a pair of men she didn't recognize, one older and one younger- but the second had a strange level of familiarity. "Ah, Prince Owen, I'm glad to have found you in time. And it is nice to meet the two of you as well. If you're not busy, I have a few requests of differing importance, Prince Owen."

Edited by Juliette

No Sell

"I almost wish that I could let you fight that Ither, a good beating would do you some good." the attendant replied, visibly growing tired of Adele. "The next match is probably starting now, but I'll get yer minion. Don't go acting like yer entitled to anything, I'm just doin' this because I'm sick of looking at yer face."

A second attendant had appeared at the side, heading off after a simple gesture from the one at the desk. "He should be here sooner or later, I'd prefer if yer found somewhere else to talk to him." he added, just to get another word in.

Sourpuss

"I take what I said about him back, Ceirch. I hope he gets gutted next round." Esclabor grumbled, displeased with Serge's foul glance at them. "We could hire Steve from the first round, nobody would be able to tell the difference."

Nelon smiled, shaking his head. "Perhaps it is too early to form an opinion of him?" he suggested, amused by his companion's mood. "It was ambitious to think that nobody would see through my instruction of Shaggy, but it proved reasonably effective nonetheless. We shall have to see how Serge fares in the final, I am almost certain that Octon will fall to Arteria."

Cass' return did little to lift Esclabor's mood, the defeat of Shaggy had visibly annoyed him. "The runt threw sand in his face, gotta commend his lateral thinking but I still hate his guts for doing it." Esclabor complained, leaning forward on to the edge of the stand. "I don't know what's worse, the fact Shaggy lost or the fact he could win this. Commoners are really something else."

Summoning

Octon and Arteria were ready to leave for their match, an attendant had stepped in to call them through. However, the man also looked over at Serge, beckoning for him to follow. "Yer boss wants to speak to yer. Got a real bee in her bonnet, but taker yer time if you feel like it. Maybe even watch the next match if yer want." he recommended, in no real rush to fetch Serge himself. 

Neither of the two fighters said a word, their faces were enough to tell the story. Arteria's cruel smile and Octon's determined glare signified their conflict, as well as their difference in ideologies.

Death by Horror

Octon and Arteria stepped out onto the field, standing opposite each other as the announcer riled up the crowd. "Octon and Ither! The winner goes through to challenge Serge!" she shouted, gesturing to the two combatants. "Will Octon's ability to fight against the odds be enough to avoid falling to Ither? Will Ither show the same mercy she did to Abdul... or pay attention to the tournament rules?"

The crowd laughed, almost callously as they started chanting Ither's name - or at least the name they knew. Arteria looked up at the crowd, giving Cass a fiendish grin. Ready to start the fight, Octon had his sword prepared to strike Arteria.

Spoiler

Cass and Nelon stay neutral!
Esclabor cheers for Octon!
7 members of the crowd cheer for Ither!
3 members of the crowd cheer for Octon!

Ither @ Steel Blade
39/39 HP
20x2 Atk, 87% Hit, 12% Crit
Skills: Vantage, Tagteam

vs

Octon @ Steel Sword
31/31 HP
6 Atk, 40% Hit, 0% Crit
Skills: Overdrive

Octon makes his first attack!
(82 44)
Octon misses!
Ither returns the favour!
(43 52)
Octon takes 20 damage! (11/31 HP remaining)
Ither strikes again!
(56 31)
Octon takes 20 damage! (0/31 HP remaining)
Octon's Overdrive activates!

Ither attacks!
(85 19)
Ither misses!
Octon retaliates!
(16 56)
Ither takes 11 damage! (28/39 HP remaining)

Octon's Overdrive fizzles out!
Octon falls!

The battle was quick, having taken barely a dozen strikes. Octon charged Arteria, swinging at her wildly as he roared in fury. Stepping to the side, Arteria slashed across his chest, tearing deep into his flesh. "Such a worthless plaything, even your friend was more fun than this." she mocked, content with her apparent victory.

Gasping for air, Octon grit his teeth, raising his sword one last time and catching the swordfighter off guard. "Just one attack!" he roared, his vigor returning for a brief moment. A childlike surprise filled her eyes, the blade slicing into her shoulder and leaving a trail of blood. "Not bad... but a shortlived pleasure." she cackled, watching as the young man dropped to the floor. Standing over him, Arteria looked down at Octon, the man staring back up at her.

The crowd started chanting again, only their choice of words had become more unpleasant. "Finish him! Finish him!" they roared, the audience having been engrossed by the sheer violence Arteria had provided for them. Arteria looked up at Cass again, visibly cackling as she struggled to contain her depraved joy.

Esclabor clenched his fist, the sight of Arteria's domination of Octon clearly angering him. "I've changed my mind again, I want Serge to make her last moments living hell." he growled. "Attacking her's suicide, but part of me just wants to jump down there and cut her head off."

Fragrant Promise

"Oh? You're just browsing?" the woman asked, perhaps hoping that Sidney were ready to make a definite purchase. "We've got all sorts of medical supplies if you're that way inclined. However, the tea leaves are really popular nowadays. Girls your age like brewing them with their beloved... some say that it can show the strength of the bond between the two people who make it! The better the tea, the stronger the bond! It's a sweet superstition, but you end up with tea afterwards, which never goes badly."

Leaning on the side, she let out a sigh. "To be young again, once your husband loses his leg and you have three mouths to feed, the family life becomes so much less romantic." she lamented. "You should use your youth to explore yourself, otherwise you'll regret it when you get to my age!"

Everyone has weaknesses, it's just a matter of finding it... With a soft smile, Owen returned a nod to the gentle giant. "I suppose that is true... I will keep this in mind, Sir Thwomp." To find wisdom from the simplest of people filled the prince with faith, perhaps after all this time stuck in his castle, he'd forgotten the common man was also interested in pursuits of the mind. I never really talked to a commoner in Wyke that wasn't just doing his duty... well, it's not easy when you're a prince, I suppose. "I suppose it is getting late, I leave my friend to you. Take good care of--" His farewells were interrupted as a knight of his own addressed him. Owen knew she was the one in his group --remembering her from the battles if the crest of Wyke carved onto her armor wasn't enough--, although... I can't seem to remember her name... have I asked it? It came to mind the prince's lack of understanding of the common man again. He never did seek it out, did he?

"Yes?" Prince Owen turned to acknowledge Freya, mouth opened as if he was trying to draw out a rank and name from the aether. He failed. She seemed to address the two other men-- did she not know who Graham was? No matter, he was already quite a bit away when she showed up. "That's Graham of house Herman, from Wyke. I was surprised he was here as well, but he's being called. Best to leave him be, I let him know how things are." Why was he giving so much information to that knight? Was it because he felt guilty over his lack of commitment to those below him? A need to learn further about lives he'd never bothered to think about before? A means of apology for not even remembering who she was?

The prince shook his head. That was becoming excessive.

"I don't plan to do much else right now. What is it you need?" He looked down calmly, crossing his arms.

Serge was a bit surprised to hear that Adele had wanted to see him. Though, it probably had to do with Arteria. Serge would have gone to see her, however, until he heard the crowd, outside. Many of them were cheering for 'Ither'. For Arteria. But it was what they were saying that both chilled him to the bone and made his blood boil. 'Finish him.' That was what the nobles were chanting; for Arteria to murder Octon, just like she did with Abdul. And thus, Serge finally saw the Coliseum for what it really was. It was no different from the pit in Hull, down to the very same risk of death. 'Non-lethal' was just a ploy to get desperate and unsuspecting commoners like him to join, just so they could throw their lives away if enough nobles wanted blood. And the worst part about it all? Serge was probably the only one who didn't know. Abdul, Octon, Lilith, even Shaggy. They most likely all knew that there was a huge risk of dying, despite every claim that this thing was 'non-lethal'. 

...Sorry, Adele. But I can't just walk away from this. If there was one comfort Serge could take from this, it was that now he knew all the risks entirely, and this made it no different from any dangerous job he would have taken. You win, or you die. Those were the stakes he had to live by for the past month he was employed under Adele, and this wasn't gonna be any different. He had to come out on top. There wasn't any other way out of this. And if he had to kill Arteria to do it, then he would do it without a hint of guilt. There was a difference between killing a mercenary, trying to make a living, and a serial killer.

Edited by Dandragon

"You mean you don't know what he was after?" The frustration was evident in both Claire's voice and pouting face, wondering if Constance was starting to forget things in her old age. "Do you not remember what you spoke about?" At the very least, Constance wasn't trying to hex her, but the younger mage really didn't care about the preaching. If she wanted that, she would've gone to the cathedral.

"Ideals are one thing, but I doubt that Malaphar took any notice of Belial's 'freedom', unless there's something else involved." Claire sighed, leaning back slightly in her seat. There was evidently something more to this. "What would be the difference between worshiping him, and holding no faith at all?" she had read of certain spells which only church-aligned mages could access, and she imagined Belial was the same, but if Malaphar's world of all things was already part of his arsenal... surely there had to be more significance to the matter than that.

Constance's eyes narrowed. "I spoke to him before you were even born girl. Maybe even before your mother was born too. If I forget a few details it's only natural. But as it happens i remember every detail. We spoke philosophy. He asked me questions about the nature of Belial and I answered them for him. Then he showed me his world and I requested he leave. Only years later did I hear of him again and realize the level of bloodshed his ambitions required." The sharpness in Constance's voice didn't disappear so much as fade slowly as she talked.

"If I was to guess I'd say Malaphar most definitely was interested in the freedom Belial promises. You're misinterpreting the statement. It's not about spending freedom to the masses, it's about freeing oneself. Embracing the unknown to realize your true potential." Constance looked around the room. "If you wish to discuss such things further then perhaps we should go for a little walk. The mages here know of my allegiance but that doesn't mean they like it." She got to her feet.  "If they hear me discussing such things they might think I'm trying to convert you." A sly smile touched Constance's lips. "Which isn't my intention of course. However if you are so dead set on destroying Malaphar, perhaps you should consider giving yourself to Belial. If your desire is truly great enough, he could grant you much power."

"Did he... Interesting. You'll have to tell me what Shaggy's secret was later, Nelon. I didn't push my luck at the front desk... We'll just have to see how this turns out." The next round was upon them sooner than Cass would have liked, and there was Arteria again, looking up at her. She knew exactly what to do to rile Cass up, the Princess attempting to ignore her gaze for as long as she could. It wasn't very long. Stop it. Don't do this to me, not here... Please. Yet, that was exactly the response Arteria wanted, for Cass to squirm, and be reviled by her actions.

Or interested. Cass felt that similar twinge of horrifying pleasure at the sight of Arteria's complete domination of Octon, the crowd starting to chant their cries. So this was how it truly was to be, once someone got too violent... This is what they wanted. This is why they wouldn't let you interfere, no matter your ranking. They wanted this to happen. Their reaction to Arteria's first kill had just been a surprised pause, while they judged how much each other wished for it to happen again. And now their true colors sprung forward. Cass was still staring at Arteria as she looked back up, cackling and wrapped up in her own vicious joy, the princess' own colors trying to find their way to the top.

F, Finish him...