Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

"I'm fine with doing things separately, but Cass, it might be best that you answer her, no? I myself am still rather in the dark about all of this as well... we really should have our plans set, especially with the date to be so close..." Adele replied, running a hand through her own hair. Whatever Cassandra wanted would be for the best, the Herman heiress not having any childhood visions of an ideal wedding to think back on and want realized... for most of her young life, the prospect of marriage had been particularly garish and undesirable, what with her father's taste in suitors being as it was.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've given plenty of thought! I know exactly what I want my dress to look like~ But I'm saving that for the store. And there's not much to be in the dark about. It's a wedding... We don't exactly have a lot of other friends here, so we just invite the group. It's not like that's complicated. I'll make sure to pick up the rings before it all, and you, Adele-- Stop that with your hand, I just did your hair. Goodness, you'll mess it up again." Cassandra gave Adele a small tap on the arm, not really bothered, but enough so to chide her.

"You'll be able to figure out your own, yes?" she asked the heiress, turning to face her. "I'm sure Sidney and Owen can help, but you must have some idea of what you look good in. I'm sure you've never had to think of a wedding dress or suit, but better now than never~" Cass smiled as if everything was fine, truly not bothered by the proceedings. Yes it was coming up close, but what was wrong with that? It wasn't like they were about to mess it up simply with dress choices...

"Hmm... it's nothing, sister." Waiting for Sidney's answer before butting in, Owen kept the tension unspoken. It is my foolishness... no need to drag Cass, she's enjoying herself and Adele today. They had their own problems, as it were, to do with the party's planning. "It shouldn't be a big, lavish party with inly a handful of us here. As long as you sort out your dresses and a few key roles, it should be fine." Really, it wasn't the end of the world if they were a few people short. The priest's words would be absolute, so even if they married in a donkey stable, Cass' and Adele's vows were very much real.

"Well, the least time we waste, the more to figure it out, right? Let us go." Owen took the lead, guiding the group to the castle's exit. Soon enough, they'd be in the noble's wards --it wasn't far from there--. All that seemed up to chance now was whether Claire was around, but she didn't seem the type to go around jogging early in the day.

Sidney gave a small nod to Owen, relieved that Cass didn't pry further into their thoughts- not because she doubted the princess's intentions, but having her ask the two of them more would likely just bring embarrassment rather than any helpful conclusion, judging by the other times the subject of their lack of intimacy came up. "I suppose it doesn't matter much if the ceremony is to be very small, then. Well, I'll just get something that's pretty on its own then, instead of having to coordinate any colors, although I won't get too wild- there are two women starring the show that should be the center of all our attention, and neither of them are me." Yet...

She followed close alongside the prince as he started to lead the way to the wards, bringing her hand to her forehead as the part of the city they walked in started to look awfully familiar. "Oh, now I remember, of course this is where they are... I guess my only excuse is with how long it's been since I've been in Tytila, I can't remember everything."

"Thank you, Prince Owen." Freya watched with some amusement as he, Cass, and Sidney all went along for their shopping trip, but it would soon be time for her to go shopping too. Funds ready, she first headed to buy herself a javelin. At last, the ever-annoying long range menace would be something of the past.

She entered the blacksmith's, taking a few moments to look over the wares available, but quickly grabbing a javelin and bringing it to the counter- she didn't have the funds for anything else even if she did want something. "I'll take just this."

Edited by Juliette

Too Convincing

The guards seemed sceptical of Constance's story, it wasn't something either of them had been relayed. "She looks pretty old to be a doctor, she's gotta be older than my mother." the stern guard muttered, his colleague leaning in to listen. The other guard appeared far more accepting though, thinking quite the opposite. "Maybe that's why she's so old! She must know how to look after herself." he replied, giving his partner a nudge. "The Prince is rich enough to hire all sorts, even his own jester complete with a bear cub."

Defeated by the audacity of it, the two guards stepped to the side, allowing Constance passage into the palace.

United

Hans and Lars looked at Serge, both of them with the same confident expression. "Pay us when things are a little quieter, boss. We don't got no plans to disappear any time soon, get the other stuff you need to sort done first." Lars replied, ushering his brother back to their quarters. "Just don't be too hard on yourself, none of us coulda stopped that from happening to her."

Larissa waited for the two brothers to leave, looking back at Serge before starting to make her own exit. "Commander... I'm not sure if we'll be able to take Emily with us, it might be safer if she stays in Tytila." she added in, pausing for a brief moment. Retrieving a small pouch from her satchel, she offered it to Serge. "I only managed to gather five hundred, but it's better than nothing."

Slipping past Alain, Larissa retired to one of the rooms, leaving the diplomat with Serge.

No 'Arm Done

The blacksmith looked at Freya carefully, his eyes drifting down back towards the spear she'd selected. "You ain't one of the city guards, but yer hold that thing with the respect it deserves. You in the army?" he asked, counting Freya's gold out casually. "Better to be properly armed before goin' to war. Things are gonna get ugly with Deira any day now... all sorts of rumours and stories from my military pals. Wouldn't be surprised if they were half way through Myrcia right now."

Freya buys a Javelin for 650G! Javelin goes to convoy!

Edited by Shin

"Alright! Let us find Claire, and be off to the town... It's been quite some time since such a large portion of us has been together for something other than fighting, hasn't it?" I suppose quite a lot of us were gathered for the arena, but... Well, that was still more fighting, I suppose. Cass sighed, but let it leave her mind-- she was focused! Dresses and rings, a lovely day to be had~

Should they be able to find Claire, that is. Upon arriving in the wards-- which were a step down from the royal quarters, but still lavish in look --and knocking upon the door to where she was staying, Cass found there was no response. What a bother. Cass cleared her throat, and with a slightly loud call, let out, "Claaaaaaaaaaaaaaire~!" She propped her hands up on her hips after, hoping she was within earshot. "Goodness, where could she have gone this early in the morning? I figured her to be stuck within her books again... Ah! Don't tell me she's actually found a reason to go outside! Oh no..."

Serge watched all three of the Crew walking back to their rooms, still holding the small pouch that Larissa had given him. Lars's words rang in his head, as he stood there, staring as he, once again, thought to himself. "No. No one could've stopped it." He mumbled as the door to axe brother's room was shut. And that's why I need to get stronger. Serge pocketed the 500 gold, and began walking down the hallway once again. He stopped just in front of Alain, however, looking at him for a moment. Then, letting out another exhausted sigh, he turned his head towards the halls and said, quietly, "She's in her room. And she's not doing well. Have a look if you want." Then, without waiting for a response, he continued walking.

"Claaaaaaaaaaaaaaire~!"

At some point, Serge heard someone yelling, and looked up to see Cassandra waiting at a door, seemingly impatient, with her hands on her hips. There was also Adele, Owen, and Charlotte waiting with her. "Is there a party going on, or are you just gathering people?" He said, walking up to the group of four. "Either way, if you need me, sorry but I'm gonna be busy for a bit. Speaking of which."

Serge turned his attention to Owen. "You said that you'd be willing to pay for a replacement. Well, I think I found somebody. They're a bit scruffy, and they cost a bit. 2000 gold. But she's got a mobile Ballista, and needs some of that money to repair it. I think it'd help us a lot, 'specially if we're fighting any more wyvern riders." He waited, expecting the worst from asking for 2000 gold for a single person.

Does he suspect anything? Claire supposed that what Alain thought didn't matter either way when it came down to that, but she still hoped that she'd put up a convincing front. Perhaps her cover-up story being aided by the arrival of Cassandra, although part of her was worried about just what exactly she wanted.

Stepping outside, she spotted the princess (and several others, strangely enough) waiting outside of her room. Erm, what's this all about? We're not having the wedding right now, are we? It had been... um, basically never, since they'd all gathered together outside of battle or something related. Had something come up suddenly, meaning that they had to make preparations to leave immediately? Whatever the reason, Claire hurried over, barely catching the tail end of Cass' remarks. 

"Very funny." The mage had to roll her eyes. Just because she wasn't as outgoing and forward as the princess didn't mean she was allergic to sunlight or anything. The whole thing left her a little confused. Hadn't Claire already told her how she felt about it? Wait, when was that? Confusion crossed her face for a brief moment, and then her whole face reddened slightly after the realisation. That was the dream, wasn't it... 

That was right. The whole conversation, along with everything else that had happened, wasn't actually real. It made sense of course, she thought. The real Claire didn't feel anything like that for her princess... at least she thought so. They were friends, and she wasn't bad to look at or anything, but... Please, stop thinking about this... She mentally flinched. These wandering thoughts were definitely something she could do without.

"So um, anyway," She looked around, trying to play the blush off as simple embarrassment at Cass' earlier comment. "What's going on? Did something happen?" That was what they'd come for, probably. Not to poke fun at Claire or reenact any weird dreams she'd been having... Engel, this was going to be awkward if Claire couldn't put herself together.

Edited by SB.

Constance was hoping one of the guards would report to the prince or direct her towards him somehow but she suddenly found herself wandering the castle with no idea where to go. First thievery now lying. This really hasn't been my best day...At least I'm good at it...apparently. With no where better to go, she started heading towards the wards. Part way there she paused however. This would be a good opportunity to see what truth lies within the talk of Ethel's torture chambers. She shook her head. Don't push it Connie. Just find the prince and given him this present.

"Right..." Alain replied, sparing Serge a single fleeting glance before heading inside. He found Emily in much of the same state as she'd been the day prior, but according to Serge her condition had actually deteriorated. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so hasty in considering Emily to have gotten a better bargain than himself. "Hello Emily, I hope the morning has found you well," Alain said, bringing up a chair along her bedside. "I was hoping you and I could chat a bit more today, if that's alright," he added, giving her a polite smile.    

Walking along to and reacquainting herself a bit to the wards along with the others, Sidney flinched a bit at Cass's shout, but it seemed to work. "Get ready, Claire, we're going shopping," she informed the mage. "Wedding preparations- Cass wants you to get something nice to wear for it along with the rest of us. She knows what she's getting, Adele isn't decided between suit or dress yet, and me and Owen are going to just get something nice but not standing out too much- so you should do that too. It's soon now, so being prepared is important. Robes like what you usually have simply won't do for something so important!"

"We're going shopping, Serge... Popular aren't you, Owen? It seems everyone's come to see you this morning. I hope that we don't get held up too long, either give the merc his money or ask to talk about it late-- Claire! Claire darling~" Ahhh, someone much more important had turned the corner, Cass springing over to her and throwing an arm around her.

"No, no, nothing's happened. We were just going to go shopping! And you've coming with us. No more having you stuck in your room, nose in a book, perusing about more magic. We'll put you in a nice dress, and maybe we'll even get your hair done~ It's rather beautiful, all things considered. You should do more to it. Hmmm." Cass looked Claire over as if she was some doll to style, nodding and smiling. "With the five of us here, I'm sure it'll be a good time." With a small pause, and a mischievous smile, Cass leaned up to Claire's ear, whispering, "and since Owen's here, we can have him look you over for a bit, can't we?"

She didn't give Claire a moment to whisper back, retrieving her arm from the likely bewildered mage and smiling with her hands propped back on her hips. "Now then! Sidney, would it be too much trouble to get you to lead? I've not enough knowledge of Raewald to find us a good store to start with."

Huh. Charlotte had let Claire know that her first guess hadn't been too far off, actually, regarding the wedding. She'd known that plans had been in the works, but learning that they were already sorted? That was news to her. "So, when is-Oof!" Cassandra had bounded up to her as well now, greeting the mage with so much enthusiasm that Claire could've mistaken it for her own wedding.

Having the princess so close after the thoughts she'd just been having though was a little uncomfortable to say the least. It took a great effort to do more than sheepishly glance away towards the floor, as she attempted to brush those thoughts away. "I uh... I guess that's fine?" Shopping, she could do. And anyway, based on how Cass was talking, it seemed like her mind had already been made up on the matter. 

Of course, what she suggested before withdrawing her arm was a different matter. "C-Cass, what are you..." she stammered, watching the princess skip on disbelief. How can she be so calm about something like this? What was Claire supposed to say to that? With everyone around, it likely wasn't a good decision to talk about it now though. Instead, after a quiet sigh, Claire simply waited next to Cass - painfully aware of just how rattled she probably looked.

Sidney watched Cass curiously. What's the big secret about? Isn't this supposed to be shopping? "Hm hm... well, let me show you the way. They're very fashionable here, so we can probably find something nice for everyone." Beckoning for the three girls to follow and taking Owen's hand, she started them on their way before she'd noticed Serge also interrupted. "Ugh, this is taking forever now... first waiting for Adele to get ready, getting Claire, now more and more delays! What is it you need? You should make it quick, some of us have been ready for quite a while now..." Her impatience was shining through quite clearly now.

Edited by Reinfleche

Well, at least somebody isn't ignoring me. Serge thought to himself as Cassandra and Claire had seemed to be off in their own conversation, forgetting that Cass had addressed him before Claire stepped out, and both Owen and Adele were completely silent. Of course, Sidney didn't seem to be in an especially good mood, or at the very least didn't really feel like dealing with him. Ignored or yelled at...Pretty typical of nobles when you're not their servant. Serge seemed to have also forgotten a conversation he had held with Sidney, asking her about Niko. Now, all he could think about was how nobles saw commoners like him. The Coliseum from last night hadn't exactly given him a good impression, with the one rule of 'non-lethal' being broken twice, and no one came to stop Arteria.

Serge took a deep breath. "After Emily and Emmet were...killed, Owen had said that he owed me at least enough money to hire someone new. And like I said, I found someone who might be helpful to us. But, she's asking for two-thousand gold, not only to hire her, but for repairs on a mobile Ballista." According to her, anyway. "So..." He said, turning his attention back to the pink-haired Prince. "I'd like to ask for that much to hire her. I can promise you anyone else I hire will be from the money I got, but considering I've lost about 3 people, including Morganna who straight up left, I'd...well, I'd like to hope two-thousand isn't too big." Serge tried his best to not sound demanding, though it was obvious he wasn't as delicate with asking for money as he should of been. Normally, he wouldn't be asking something like this to the Prince of all people, especially after he had won, if he was counting right, six-thousand gold for him to do whatever he wanted or needed to. But, Serge has gone for nearly a month without pay, so he needed compensation. Especially after everything they've faced.

Edited by Dandragon

With them getting to the wards safely and no reply after Cass' shout, Owen would have thought Claire had left, probably found something to do on the city, even if it was early. Ready to shrug and leave for the shop, he stopped just as quickly as his name was called out by a not unfamiliar voice. Who? Oh, right... This was the mercenary leader working under Adele, and not only was Emily under contract by him but Emmet as well... and Owen felt himself very much at debt with the man over his decision. Emmet meant incredibly little to Raewald, Owen suspected as much and had it proven with no backlash waiting him in Tytila, but to this mercenary one of his own men wasn't as trivial to make judgement on. With Adele, the one hiring Serge, also not completely happy with the way the man was put down, Owen knew he owed something for taking Serge's agency over one of his company so mercilessly.

Still, Two thousand gold felt a bit unfortunate, having checked their war chest's condition after leaving. Owen turned a vacant stare to the floor as he listened to the mercenary, nonetheless.  The prince hoped to do more with the money than to hand it off as requests came in during their stay at Tytila... but if it helped their group gain a man at arms, it was worth something. 

Before he'd opened his mouth, Claire showed up. Not too surprising that she was still around, considering what time it was, but it was still quite curious how she was up and out of her room this early. Had someone to meet? Mayhaps learned about the vial and Emily? Well, if it is my business, she'll surely speak to me later. It wasn't too nice to pry on a vassal's life that strongly, unless you suspected them of treachery! 

With Sidney's hand meeting his own, Owen held it tight as he interjected the brewing discussion with Serge. The least I should do is hold her hand back... "The man has a reason, I've told him that after my decision concerning Emmet. I understand full well, I do owe you my word... Mister Serge." Nodding, the prince continued. "I must say, a ballistician sounds rather ambitious for a mercenary company, a siege weapon will certainly have upkeep to care for in the future. Still, if you're confident on this, all the better." Honestly... I don't think we have many of those in Wyke, it'd certainly have helped this journey. Smart move, I'm almost jealous. And that should be the final person that needed Owen before they left... surely.

"Hmff, whatever. Two thousand is a lot, but if you say so, Owen..." Sidney huffed, but she supposed there was nothing to argue about if Owen wanted to pay him. Flipping her hair to the side with her free hand, she looked to the others gathered. "Any more interruptions? We've been delayed a lot already, I'm sure some of you have something else to say too!"

Despite her irritated tone, after a moment of pause, she mumbled "sorry" before starting on their way for real. After a few minutes, her foul mood seemed to have subsided at least somewhat, as she'd point at places along the way. "The Golden Experience... very expensive, the visitors tend to have high opinions of themselves, but it's really good food," was among several other descriptors, before after about ten minutes she stood before a store labeled "Lady Lidoine's" and pointed to the door. "Well, here we are. I always used to get all my things here, so you can consider that my vouch for the quality of the clothing! I think I have something in mind now, but perhaps we should start with the brides? Er... are you both brides? Ah, whatever."

Edited by Reinfleche

Serge smiled, and nodded back. "Thank you. I'll be sure not to waste this, I swear it."

Serge takes 2000 gold from the War Chest for himself. Serge then visits Esclabor and gains an additional 1500, totaling to 8000 gold.

--

Serge stood outside of the Heroes' Guild, once more. Carrying the much larger sum of gold he had with him, he opened the doors and walked inside. His heart was heavy, knowing that this was where he first saw both Abdul and Octon, even if it was just a small glance. But now, both of them were gone from this world, their hopes and dreams no longer possible to achieve. And, in a way, he felt like he, as well as the rest of the group, might have been indirectly responsible. After all, Arteria might have not shown up at the Coliseum if they didn't go there to begin with.

Serge looked around the guild, looking for the scruffy woman that he had spoken to, before, when at last, he spotted her, seemingly waiting around for who knows what. He walked over, waving slightly to try and get her attention. "Hey, there!" He called out. Serge sat down next to her, took one of the pouches from his belt, and placed it on the table. "Like I promised. Two-thousand gold. A bit later than I wanted, but I can assure you, it's all there."

Begin to Hire

Thankfully, Serge had been able to find Vesta at the guild - she hadn't been snagged by another contract in his absence. She appeared almost surprised to see Serge, but his offering of gold conveyed his intentions to her. "I have to say I'm a little surprised to see you again, I didn't think you'd have that kind of money." she replied, looking again at the pouch to confirm it existed. "I guess you're the real deal, I need a few moments to tie up a few loose ends but I'm ready to start work."

Vesta looked around the hall lazily, her eyes moving between people in the crowd. "When are we leaving? I was hoping to say goodbye to a few friends of mine." she asked, sitting back in her chair. "Weird, normally you have trouble avoiding Octon. I'm sure he's probably up to mischief somewhere."

Serge spends 2000 to hire Vesta!

Shop and Chop

The streets of Tytila had returned to life, just as full as they had been the day before. Sidney's tour of the city soon led Cass' group to Lady Lidoine's, a subtly refined building right next to Aurus' own. Unlike its gaudy neighbour, the angular structure was a subdued pink. Finely dressed nobles were walking in and out of the store, business appeared to be fluorishing. The entrance hall was inviting, even from outside the displays were visible, mannequins clad in an assortment of fine clothes. An attendant wasn't too far inside the entrance, pointing a trio of women ahead of them within the store.

To the side of the building, leaning up against the wall, was Morganna. Deeply engrossed in a book, she hadn't even noticed Cass' group. The chances were that she was barely aware of much going on around her.

Dark Connections

Alain found Emily sat on the bed, looking down at one of her tomes. "Oh? Sir Alain? Did you come to visit me?" she asked, her focus on her book broken quite easily. There was a child-like aura to her behaviour, perhaps even more so than before her death. "It's really boring in here, but Lars said that I needed to stay here until I got better. He said that I got really hurt in the last battle... but I feel just fine now. It couldn't have been that bad, right? My Uncle always said I needed to listen to people in charge, and he's not normally wrong!"

As Alain sat and listened to Emily's quiet chatter, a thought had dawned upon him--had anyone told Emily what actually had happened? That she hadn't just suffered a grievous injury, but a fatal one? He considered whether there would be any merit to letting her know but eventually concluded otherwise. I suppose it's better this way for now... 

"I think Lars is right Emily. It's always better to be safe than sorry, after all. But if you're feeling up to it, perhaps you and I can take a walk around the castle tomorrow. The Queen's gardens are rather lovely, I'm sure you'd enjoy the change of scenery," he said. He looked out the window for a moment, considering how best to proceed. 

"You seem rather fond of your Uncle, Emily. Lord Edion, the court mage of Wyke... He seems like a rather capable man with a status like that. Do you have any stories about the two of you together? I imagine you must miss him a bit, being so far from home," he said, his words laced with casual interest. "...Have you ever thought of succeeding him as the court mage?"

The further they went, the more out of place Claire began to feel - her standard mage attire sticking out like a sore thumb with all of the local nobility in the area. I suppose I should've expected this... Even the rest of the Wykians were dressed more smartly than her, with the only other 'normal' looking person in sight being a familiar missing mage. 

Claire stopped in place as she spotted Morganna, wondering at first if she'd just been mistaken. As things looked though, it was very much the real deal - hiding away somewhere after she'd left the Reliants, perhaps. Maybe Claire was simply being too critical. It wasn't out of the question to think that their expedition through Magonsaete had taken its toll on her, and that she'd simply had enough. 

At the same time though, she couldn't ignore this. Morganna had always struck Claire as a very prideful mage, and to think that she would know so little of how Malaphar's magic worked after spending years learning illusions from the academy would be ignoring a huge contradiction in her character. While she hadn't thought so at the time, it wouldn't be a shock for Claire to discover that the trickster mage had been intentionally unhelpful.

Of course, she did have a reason for lying, there was no reason for her to tell the truth now. Would she slip up? "Morganna!" Claire called out, approaching the illusionist in a hurry. There's one way to find out. She was, of course, entirely improvising. She didn't have much of a plan, but in a public place, Morganna was more likely to buckle under the pressure. It would be much easier to tell if she was friend or foe. 

The curious mage had reached her within a few seconds, and wasted no time before speaking again. "I want to know why you lied to me in Magon." Her voice was steady, as she fixed Morganna with a stern glare. Perhaps she was coming on a little too strongly, but she wasn't going to let the other mage slip away without gleaning some kind of information from her.

Edited by SB.

Sidney didn't seem any fine with the events as they were, or mayhaps the impatience just peaked there and then. Owen couldn't help but feel guilty, at least partly so. "It's okay..." He mumbled, reaching out to pat her head but deciding against it --it was a bit childish, wasn't it?--.

With the pointers to the war chest given to Serge and Claire no longer missing, the rest of the way would be quick. There'd be no worry about Serge taking more than granted for himself --Owen had counted the total sum just that morning--, he'd find out and there'd be consequences, but right then the prince believed in the benefit of the doubt. I'm starting to feel we didn't bring enough...

---

They'd reached their destination just fine, Owen particularly thought the walk was nice, even. Tytila had a different air to it than Hull, and it felt better to walk around as a foreign prince rather than home prince. It felt like there were less eyes on him... or maybe that was just his mind.

The building they were to check clothing at had a decent enough design, but its gaudy neighbor certainly took the attention cake and ate it too. It was amusing, who'd even do business there? Regardless, the day was on its course back to normality... not, Owen spoke too soon. Claire presumed to talk to a not-too-unfamiliar face. Uh... Hm... who was her again? Gosh darn it, Owen.

Giving up on the guessing game, Owen looked back at Sidney and Cass, denoting his confusion. Just what did it mean for Claire to confront that woman?

"It's good, isn't it? Raewald has lots of trends, so big stores always keep up- though plenty of them don't really go all that well... I remember there was this awful, awful sweater trend people wanted to start, but I avoided it, and that was smart because it was summer! It was never going to work, I could hardly believe people liked the idea in the first place, and after only a couple weeks people wised up to how dumb it was. But, I wasn't always so lucky... well, let's hope that we don't pick things that will look ridiculous in a few weeks. I suppose that won't be really that difficult, since some choices are too timeless to look silly."

Sidney's mind seemed a lot clearer after the walk, but she was nearly as confused as Owen when Claire went off to speak to someone. It took her a few moments to think over who it was. "She's one of Serge's mercenaries, isn't she? I don't know what Claire is talking about, specifically... should we just go on for now? It's supposed to be a shopping trip, and this slowly seems to be turning into a waiting trip. We can just get Claire to try something afterwards. That sounds better to me, anyway."