Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

"Ah. I see" Constance muttered. "That makes more sense. Does that mean you are no longer attached to the prince and his entourage in any official capacity?"

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Better to return later? Well, if you say so." Sidney glanced towards the very tall guard whose presence was quite obvious, but whose company she hadn't immediately associated to the trio, and waved to Claire as she followed. "Oh, we were going to have you not look at each other to keep things surprising, weren't we? That's what Cass's idea was, but I guess it won't be that now. Ah, whatever, I guess it doesn't really matter that much. But I agree with Claire, it's good that everything worked out with what amounted to basically just a delay. It could've all been much worse than that- though, maybe I get to tease the Princess about the little visit. Nah... that would just be mean, since it's not like either of you did anything wrong." She shrugged, slinking up towards Owen as the next person whose shoulder she poked, and Cass was not far away. "Hello again! I'm glad everything went fairly well, from you and Cassandra being here and what Adele said. Is there anything I missed? Oh, and Owen, if you don't mind... after your meetings, my parents expressed interest in meeting you too. If you want to come for dinner, I'm sure it would be very lovely." She gave him a somewhat expectant look- surely he'd accept!

Freya walked alongside Serge towards Tytila's center, often having to slow herself down. When I'm not armored, it sure is much easier to go places... I should probably get used to this speed. After all, with lighter armor, I'll be quicker too. The bustling market was quite crowded, so the two of them had some difficulty making their way past the legions of people. "Hmm, not yet..." She looked on the side of the street that Serge wasn't checking, their efforts fruitless for some time, until the pair walked near the front of a clothing store and she spotted distinct, bright-red hair. "Ah, there's Lady Adeltrudis, though it seems we were beaten here." Maybe because someone kept being so slow. "Lady Adeltrudis, hello!"

Claire was talking with her and Nona was close by, and further into the store were the royal siblings and Lady Montana. "Well, no need to relay any messages. Good to see you, Ladies Adeltrudis and Claire. Serge and I were both recently informed about the wedding and were wondering if you had anything we should keep in mind? I admit I'm not privy to much more than the fact that a wedding is happening, personally."

Budget Bride

The attendant had waited patiently for Cass to finish with Owen, noticeably aware of Cass' glances back to Adele. "I'm certain that I should be able to find a suitable time for you to be measured and fitted. Fortunately for yourself, many nobles in Raewald prefer to get married during the summer, so it shouldn't be too long before the dress can be crafted and ready." he replied, taking out a small notebook from his pocket. "May I ask when you intend for the wedding to be? This would allow us to prioritise work based on what is required. I'd also need to ask when you would be available for measuring, unless you happen to have a list of measurements to hand?"

Thwomp looked over at Sidney, had just approached Owen. The giant seemed to concentrate for few moments before averting his gaze from her entirely, looking down at the ground with a somewhat conflicted expression.

More in Store

Nona had fallen behind Claire and Sidney, although she'd been able to catch up to listen to their brief interaction with Adele. With the arrival of Freya and Serge, she seemed rather interested in hearing Adele's response to the guard. "Oh, hello, Lady Herman. It must be ever so busy with the wedding plans happening." she added, her mouth curling into a mischievous smile. "Serge and Freya are ever so helpful, I'm sure there's plenty they could assist with."

"Within the week. How lucky for me~" Cass tried to keep smiling, the expression widening a bit as Sidney hopped over. Another glance back at Adele told her that everyone else had arrived-- along with one of the Valters? And Nona, at that. That's not good. "I have my measurements memorized, they shouldn't be too different from a few months ago. I haven't excessively gained or lost anything. They should still match... And I'm available for fitting at any point this week. I only have one more stop to make, and things should be... Finalized..." Cass sighed, unable to hold herself back further.

"And... The woman, with the red hair. She'll... Be needing a suit..." Cass gulped, not saying anything further. Still, she tried her best to remain prideful, staring at the clerk instead of looking away in any shame. "That, and I'll have to pick up our rings. We'll be ready, once I've done that."

"I see..." Owen hung his headand let his sister go, not content that on top of all the problems they were met with, his sister still had to hold back on coin spent for her wedding. Surely there is something I can do... In foreign lands, what could he really?

In a bit of surprise, Sidney showed up swiftly to his side --unexpected. Aware of his surroundings again, Owen took notice that Claire had caught up to them as well. The eldest Valter sister, the guard from earlier out of her armor, and Adele's mercenary were there too, by coincidence? Maybe they just followed Sidney and Claire while we were away, huh...

"Ah, it's good to see you, Sidney." Owen reassured her, his expression softening. "But... it'll be a rather busy day. I do have a meeting with Queen Ethel this evening, I can't leave her hanging after all she's done for us. Your parents shouldn't eat late because of me." He just roped himself into commitment after commitment that day, huh? "Only if you're sure they won't mind."

"Don't trouble yourself with that! We usually eat late anyway, since they both keep themselves plenty busy throughout the day. My father does plenty of meetings as well," Sidney assured him. The guard's glance at her went completely unnoticed despite all her earlier caution, a bit too absorbed in her conversation. "They'd be delighted to meet you, since we're involved together and you're so important in Wyke too, and my mother's food is always delicious. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!"

Suit Yourself

The attendant smiled smugly, having probably known from the start. He looked at Cass with an unkind pity, nowhere near the hostile reactions she'd gotten before, but by no means particularly welcoming. "Unless she can give us her measurements she'll need to measured and fitted too." he replied politely, as if he were explaining rules to a child. "She's more than welcome to make an appointment. Here at Sylvester's, we serve anyone willing to make a purchase. Rich or poor, young or old... desirable or undesirable. Our pride is in our products, not who wears them."

Thwomp looked at Sidney again, still trying to make up his mind about something. It took Sidney talking to Owen for him to act, but his awkward silence was soon broken. "Excuse Thwomp for interrupting." Thwomp apologised, stepping towards the pair slowly. Keeping his voice low, he bent down to speak to Sidney and Owen. "Are you... Charlotte Montana? Thwomp knows that you still wanted for escaping prison." he whispered, trying to keep his voice low. "Guards have orders to arrest you if they see you."

Sylvesters was starting to get awfully crowded now, with the arrival of Freya and Serge. "Hello again, Freya..." Claire waved awkwardly. Had they just followed their trio straight here? Does it look really bad that we found the others so quickly? She really hoped that they weren't going to assume that, even if they'd done what they could in order to leave the guard and mercenary behind earlier. 

Thankfully (maybe?), Nona was already there to interject and stop Freya from asking about it, although the way she was acting was still fairly off putting. "With how excited you are Nona, I'm surprised you aren't the one getting married yourself." Was this just to do with Angus being free, or was it something else?

Although not the reaction she had been expecting, it was still rather unpleasant. Can't win them all... Still, she felt far more comfortable with it out in the open, even if judging eyes were now on her. "Good. That's wonderful, really. We were promptly removed from the other shop because of this, so I'm quite pleased you're a more professional establishment. Honestly, we should've just come here first, but everyone makes mistakes." She'd gone so far as to straighten out her back and start smiling, looking back to wave. "Adele! Come here, please."

She'd noticed the serious look on Thwomp's face, but she couldn't hear what they were talking about, so she paid it no mind. If it mattered, and she needed to be involved, then they'd tell her, certainly. "Now, sir, do suits cost similar, or are we looking at more gold? We are still on the previous budget, and... While it may be possible to do so, I wouldn't like to pass two thousand gold total. Is something of a similar quality to the dress available? She's never worn a suit before, so we don't exactly have any expectations preset."

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Well, after what happened before, it would be best to... avoid attention, where possible." Adele replied to Sidney, before the Raewalden hovered over towards Owen, and out of her earshot. It wasn't long before more people arrived, Claire following rather predictably after Sidney, as well as Nona. Though less predictably, Serge and Freya also joined them, and had apparently learned of the wedding as well.

"Well, most of the planning seems to be in Cassandra's court... with Queen Ethel sponsoring the affair, she may well provide venue and guard if need be... I suppose in the case that her Highness does not, then we might ask you to serve in such a capacity, but whether that will be necessary I am not yet aware. If not, then I would imagine how you go about it would be your own choice... I can't imagine that attending an employer's wedding would be all that exciting for you, but if you wish to, then I can't imagine you would be unwelcome." Adele replied, turning afterwards towards Nona, who seemed to have more to add.

"Yes, well... things have certainly been... hectic, to say the least. I would like to allow them a day off, if at all possible. Even the most competent of their craft will produce no results if worked to the bone." Adele replied, somewhat echoing her reply to the pair, before her attention was drawn off to the side once again, this time by Cassandra herself.

"Well, I really must answer that, if you'll excuse me." Adele concluded, giving a slight curtsy before heading over to Cass... well, if she was being actively called over, had Cass talked about it already? It would have been easier to just return later, she could only hope things would go well...

Not a moment after Freya had spotted Adele and Claire, and walked over to meet up, did one of the daughters of Valter also join in on the conversation. Adele had done her best to respond to everyone in kind, but had taken off as soon as she was called over by Cassandra, leaving Serge silent and with a few unanswered questions. 'The planning in Cassandra's court?' Is she taking charge of the whole thing? I know they're really close and all, but is that really her place? Or is it because... His thoughts gave him the image of both Cassandra and Adele within a wedding dress, not needing to finish sentence in his head. It was a leap of logic, to be sure, and thus one he didn't pay any mind. Whoever his employer was marrying, it wasn't his place to judge. Especially not with his own quirks. At the end of the day, it was one other person to take orders from, if he didn't follow their lead already. Still...Would have been nice to know what to do.

With that out of the way, for the moment, Serge turned his attention to Claire. There was one other thing he wanted answers for. "So...Claire. Is there any reason you were trying to get rid of me and Freya, earlier?" As clueless as he could be, Serge wasn't stupid. And it was painfully obvious from the earlier conversation that both Sidney and her were quick to avoid the two hired guards. He wanted to know why.

"Adele, good, so... They're willing to make you a suit. You wouldn't happen to have your measurements on hand, would you? Off memory? If not, we'll need to schedule you a time to be measured and fitted, probably at a different time than myself. Wouldn't want to see each other in these until the wedding, right?" With a pleased giggle, Cass looked between her and the attendant. "So, when would work best for you? We're fairly free for the rest of the week."

It seemed as though Adele didn't really know what she wanted from the commoners, which was fair, in Claire's mind. She seemed to treat her mercenaries well enough, and this was whole event seemed to be thrown together on such short notice. She found herself nodding, as if her opinion had any bearing on the conversation at all.

Sadly, leader of said mercenaries seemed to want a word with her. She glanced quickly towards Nona, hoping that she would do something... sufficiently Nona, in order to take the attention off of her. Of course, that wasn't going to happen, and instead she looked towards Serge with an expression which probably told him she would rather not have to say anything.

"We didn't know that they were going to be here. And I didn't want you to make a scene either, after what happened earlier." It was true enough. I mean, it's not like I'm lying to him... Whether or not she wanted Serge and Freya around was down to her, wasn't it? Claire wasn't exactly big on clothes shopping, or even big social things in general. She just wanted to do this with people she felt comfortable with, not someone she barely knew. Admitting that was kind of embarrassing though, so this could get even more awkward...

Edited by SB.

Sidney's heart seemed to skip a beat when the guard asked her the question she was dreading to hear. She looked to Owen worriedly. If he recognizes me, there's not much I can do to get out of this, is there? Ah, all I do is cause trouble for him... "...Yeah. I go by Sidney often these days, but that's me. I've been in Wyke for about a year, and I work for Prince Owen now as an assistant, and we're personally very close, too. It's been long enough that I know better now about what I did before, both times, and yet I can't just go back with you that easily." She shifted around in her spot. Even though she knew the moment was coming, she wasn't certain how to react. "It would be a setback to far more than just me if I were to go away, and I'm sure Owen can confirm he would be displeased with that, too." Do I know him? Maybe he's just better at recognition than other guards, since I look pretty different from what I did when I was sixteen. His kindness seems oddly familiar, though... it's probably nothing.

Vietnona

Nona smiled, putting her arm around Claire. "Is there something you're hiding from us, Claire?" she teased, putting her cheek right up against Claire's. "Perhaps you wanted to go clothes shopping in secret? Is there somebody that you're trying to impress? I wonder who it could be..."

Visibly pondering, Nona released Claire, counting on her fingers with a curious look. "Maybe it's one of the barons? You seem awfully close with all three of them. You did escape from the party early with them to visit Baron Nelon... or maybe you can't decide?" she laughed, putting her hand to her own heart. Smiling playfully, she looked over at the relatively quiet Freya. "Freya? Which one do you think Claire likes? Maybe you've overheard some juicy gossip?"

Blind Eye

Thwomp still looked conflicted, torn between his duty to Tytila and the aid he was providing Owen. "It... it not simple. Guards know you in Tytila, there be recent report of you. Escaping prison is considered serious... Thwomp can't say that Prince Owen can help." he warned, his expression rather worried. "Thwomp say he didn't see you, but be careful. Other guards might be interested in reward for catching you, there big promotion chance for people who catch escapees. Thwomp recommend being careful, it be tough if someone recognise you."

The attendant watched as Adele approach, smirking as if he were looking at a pair of animals. "The next three mornings are relatively open, although I'd recommend coming sooner rather than later. If we were to be busy, there would be no special favours in arranging another session." he replied, almost amused by the possible difficulties. "A suit of similar calibre should be roughly the same price, and would be available in the same time frame."

"Perfect! We'll be here tomorrow morning, sharp, as to not cause any interruptions or time waiting. That's fine with you, right, Adele? I know you're not exactly a morning person, but just this once, I'm sure you can get up." Any looking down or smug reception they were receiving was being ignored by Cass, permissions were rare it seemed, so she could take any of this. As long as no one else started throwing tomatoes, she didn't truly care. "With that taken care of, I have to... Oh, joy. Poor Claire. One moment..."

Cass walked back on over to the group, taking hold of Claire's robe and slowly tugging her away from the taunting. "Nona, could you please refrain from teasing our vassals? I'm sure Claire's having a hard enough time with how extra I am, she's not about to survive you... Besides, I have to help her with clothes. I don't want her scared off before I can get her in something pretty."

Claire's hopes had been that Nona would pull a stunt to get the attention away from her, not... whatever this was. "N-Nona, what...?" That was all she could manage after the woman grabbed her. Dear lord. Why did she have to get so close? Nona could probably feel the redness in her cheeks for a few moments before she pulled away, but she was still frazzled even afterwards. She had forgotten her worries about Serge entirely, but at what cost?

"I just... wanted to see if he was alright. That's all." She spoke slowly, trying to regather her composure. Why do I have to justify everything I do? This is a mess. A total mess. She shook her head dismissively,  "You don't really think of me like that, do you?" Claire laughed nervously, hoping for a more agreeable response. She knew that Nona was a little strange, but how could she have possibly misread the situation so poorly? Her eyes flicked to Freya, hoping that she wouldn't say anything to make the mage even less comfortable, if that was even possible. She already felt like she was going to burst or something.

Fortunately, that was when a certain pink-haired princess arrived - here to rescue Claire from her former rescuer(?).  "Right." She jumped at the opportunity, moving as quickly as she could without trying to draw more attention. "Let's go and look around, uh, here..." Without another word, she took Cass' hand and hurried her behind another set of displays, a good distance away from her interrogators. "Thanks for that..." The blush on her face was still visible, but at least the 'crisis' had been averted. Claire hoped so, anyway.

"Whoa--" Was it that bad? Surely Nona was just a bother, not someone to incite such... Terror? Or embarrassment? She couldn't tell, but Claire was red, so certainly something had gone wrong. "Are you going to be alright?" She wasn't quite she it was fine to go into shopping with Claire so... Out of sorts. "Do you want to talk about it? I can't imagine what she'd have said that would have you so flustered... I didn't exactly catch what was being talked about. Considering Nona, though, I'll assume she was bothering you about who you like... ... Well?"

Cass would be lying if she said she wasn't curious. She knew Claire had some feelings for her brother, but she wasn't sure beyond that. "Maybe Angus? Though I can't imagine why... Hmm." Well, it's certainly not Esclabor, and I don't think we'd have talked enough to be so suddenly smitten. Nelon, then? He's a bit old... Not that bad a looker, but, well... There's also his... Aversion. Hmm! I can't place it.

"I'm actually unsure about the situation regarding that. The Queen hasn't called me for an audience yet nor have I been informed of anything," he admitted. "But all things considered, I suppose you would be correct for the time being. In any event, I think it's best that we conclude here for the moment. I have some matters to take care of elsewhere, and I've already spent most of the morning chatting away," he said, chuckling. "I trust that you'll find your way out yourself. Until next time then," he said, preparing for his departure.  

"Recent report?" Sidney paused to think about what that could be, her mind coming to the few interactions she'd had the day before, eventually thinking of the green-haired bard. Ferdinand, you two-faced piece of garbage... "Well, thank you, Sir Thwomp. I'll have to see what I can do, then, maybe Prince Owen can speak with the Queen beforehand... I don't know how sympathetic she'll be, but I assume he'd be rather upset were I to be taken away, and I'd rather not have to stay at home the whole duration of our stay. Still, I'll make sure you don't regret speaking with me about this- it's different now." She watched Cass and Claire seem to scurry about to dodge Nona. Is she really that bad? "Have you had much chance to see anything here, Owen? We could work on you getting a suit and me a dress, next, if you'd like."

"Err, I suppose that's fine." Adele replied, feeling a bit out of the loop in all this. So Cass had already arranged for her to have a suit made, and it seemed the appointment was for the next morning... the Princess also wasn't in any way acknowledging the obviously snide disposition of the attendant, which left Adele unsure of what to do, even moreso as Cassandra dashed off to pull Claire away from Nona, Serge, and Freya. Given the utter lack of commotion... from the store itself, at least, news had likely spread already, but Cass was still doing this far more dangerously than was necessary, leaving Adele to watch her blankly and sigh.

"It was just, ugh..." Claire took a deep breath, struggling to gather the right words. Cass' initial assessment of the situation was fairly close to the mark, but as soon as she mentioned Angus, the mage recoiled slightly. "I already told you that I don't like Angus... I told Nona that too, but it doesn't look like she believed me. She even implied that I liked all of the Barons - in front of everyone, too." She bit her lip and quickly checked that nobody else was listening in, before continuing.

"Does she really think that I'm like that? And now the others might think so too. Why can't I just stay calm when this happens instead of overreacting?" Thinking about it now, the way she'd acted in response had probably just made things worse. Wonderful. Regardless of that, Claire didn't expect a good answer to that question, even from Cass, but she had to vent her frustrations somehow.  

That being said, the realisation that her friend had just gone through something far worse made her feel guilty. "I'm sorry that I'm such a wreck. I should be the one checking on you, after you got taken away by the guards..." She couldn't see anything visibly wrong with Cass. She seemed to be in decent enough spirits to, so it looked as though she was fine, but Claire still didn't feel right about it.

"That's honestly probably why, Claire... You react so embarrassed by it, people seem to think they've hit the mark. Perhaps with a more normal individual, they'd be right, but considering you're not that, they claim it to be the truth and you're too meek to correct them. It's an unfortunate cycle, really. Who do you like, then? I know my brother is likely on your radar, but is there anyone else...? Surely your books can't be your only attachment. Even I can't fathom to believe that one. But, I will put Angus to rest. You don't need anymore prodding about him, poor thing. The barons as well, they're far too old for someone like you." Cass rattled off words faster than Claire could likely keep up with, taking a moment to flip through some of the other dresses on display, ones for every day engagements.

"What color do you think you look best in, Claire? I was thinking a green, but maybe something more feminine? A nice pink, or yellow... I'm not quite sure. Ah, well, we'll have plenty of time to stuff you into different things before we have to leave." Cass had almost forgotten Claire mentioning the guards, with her newly found good mood interrupting those sorts of thoughts. "Me? I'm just fine. I'm sure Adele's a bit ruffled, but, smug treatment or not, the attendant here agreed to have us fitted into proper clothes for the wedding. That's all I could ask for, really, and far better than tomatoes or jail. The Queen made sure to sort that mess out, anyway, it was just a miscommunication. So, Claire, feel free to be as much of a wreck as you want~ It's quite adorable to see you flustered; I don't get to see any sides of you-- other than the one you show in battle, of course."

Cass took a moment to gently ruffle the mage's hair, going back to looking at clothes. "Oh, I'm going to need some things, too... Not just for Raewald, but for when we get back, as well... I can't imagine the shops will be running well."

Edited by Nanami Touko

"I see. If you need that of me, then I'll be happy to help, then." Freya nodded at Adele's fairly neutral answer, but suddenly soon felt awkward with Nona's questioning. "What? How am I supposed to know that? I'm not really one much for gossip, and Claire isn't exactly the flirtiest person out there, unless I've been missing out on a whole different side of her." Claire's own answer being tepid at best, and her retreat with Cass, seemed to affirm her stance. "Really, that's just a ridiculous question..."