Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

"Do you really think so?" Sidney asked. "Well, I guess you would know better than me... I'm not very subtle, and he knows that, so I sort of have a hard time with this taking it slowly thing. But, I help him however I can, so I guess I'm at least doing that right. Just before we left Hull, King Oswald was so sick, Owen was made Prince Regent of Wyke, and I can tell it's been tough on him... And, there's been lots of drama even amongst our small group. Alain of House Duhamel was the diplomat who delivered the Queen's message, which is a fairly minor house, I think. And we had someone named Emmet, I think he was from a minor house, but he proved to be unreliable and traitorous, so Owen was forced to execute him. Even though he was clearly against us, it seemed difficult to Owen to have to do that to a former ally."

Sidney looked up at the picture, too. "Maybe..." Could that be a source of his hesitance? "I was a lot younger there, huh? I remember not being all that patient when it came to sitting down for that, either, or the one with just me. I wonder how many pictures I've been in. There was one boy who fancied me that gave me one, but I remember I took it down when heĀ ended up having a rather foul attitude. I kept it somewhere else, though, because even if I was mad at him, it was still a good painting... I'd imagine the most recent was probably the stupid poster they made for me. I doubt they updated it."

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrow to the Knee

Sally looked at Turstam, unsure of his teaching methods. "Wouldn't it be easier to show him first? It's a hard enough technique to do if you're taught it... I don't want to hurt him if he's only seen it once." she complained, hesitantly drawing the bow and pointing it at Owen. She seemed to have at least some familarity with the weapon, but the power behind it wasn't there. The arrow was clearly blunt, but it was a menacing enough projectile. "You might want to step back a few paces, you're better off attacking an archer if they get this close."

Turstam however seemed to have more faith in Owen, or at least that he wouldn't kill the prince with his lesson. "It'll be easier since you know where it's coming from, and when it's being fired." he replied, giving Owen a look over. "Draw your blade, this could go several ways... I figure you're the kind who'll think of something, the worst you could get is a nasty bruise or two."

Majoring in Evil

Jannes nodded his head, visibly unsettled by Malaphar's longevity. "The earliest records we have go back a hundred years, it's more than likely he existed before then. Regardless of how old he is, the fact remains his supernatural existence defies human biology... to live that long would require a unique powerful magic." he replied, looking over to the blue haired girl. "Arachne's grandfather had met Malaphar before his passing, she's spent the last few months studying any literature related to him... but also appears to be able to detect anyone who has made contact with him."

"That is correct, his aura marks those who face him. It is difficult to explain the difference, but it is a presence that is clear to me." Arachne added, still looking at Claire with a lifeless expression. "You however are different, for some reason it seems stronger with you. You're just like the priest..."

"Now, now, Arachne, no need to go interrogating her. Ezekiel was a blubbering mess, yet Claire here has returned to tell the tale, her input is incredibly valuable." Jannes interrupted, shooting the girl a sharp look. The talk of His World, Belial and the Fountain had caught his full attention. "Fascinating, such insight into Malaphar, you have furthered our understanding with just a single encounter, although I have to ask... how are you certain that the Fountain is able to revive the dead? As much sense as your words make, I would question the powers of what is known to most as a fairy tale."

Even Serge began to share

Vesta listened to Serge's descriptions of his men, his lukewarm marketing of them leaving her relatively intigued. "So you're down to three functioning members? No wonder you were looking for extra people. Well, I'm touched that you went for me instead of just the cheapest suckers you could find, means you're actually looking to invest instead of just hiring mooks to die for you." she replied, content for time being.

However, what came next very much changed the tone of the conversation. Vesta sat nervously as Cass and Serge discussed the deaths at the arena. Clenching her fists nervously, her face went pale at the mention of her comrades. Shaking her head, she looked down solemnly as she hid her face in her hands. "Those idiots always did have such big dreams... no wonder I haven't seem them lately." she said at last, several seconds passing before she spoke. "It's funny, I was thinking of asking you if you'd hire Octon. I'm sure he would have done everything you said... I think I still want to work for you, but I might need a little time to come to terms with what's happened."

Pants of Patience

"Your father was a bit like that too, Charlotte. He used to cancel dates all the time, his work always had a habit of snatching him away at the last moment." Elvira replied, her daughter's tales still making her nostalgic about her own youth. "It's a shame that you can't have a chance to rest whilst you're here, it sounds like your journey wasn't easy by any means."

The mentions of Emmet and Alain made Elvira ponder for a moment or two, the familiarity of their names sparking something within her memory. "I think I know those names. Duhamel definitely rings a bell, although I don't ever recall them being particularly important, perhaps this Alain was gifted at his craft? I believe Emmet belonged to the house of Dun, but they're such a minor noble house that they were barely even considered noble. Rumours were that their son had gone on some sort of holy journey... but I just think he wanted to escape mediocrity." she added, looking at the paintings with her daughter. "The sooner that you can be pardoned, the sooner you can walk about freely. I've heard all sorts of horrible stories about travellers being arrested today, I don't want you to be added to the list."

Edited by Shin

"Well, it won't hurt to give it a try... I hope I'm getting what you're trying to say." The prince nodded at Turstam, his blade drawn. Giving some thought to what the guard said, it seemed like a matter of prediction, practice and experience. But if he seems expectant that this kind of training will be fine for me... hmm, is there something I can apply to this?

Taking heed of Sally's suggestion, The prince took a few steps back, holding his blade in front of him, as ifĀ ready to parry a strike, the flat of the blade turned diagonally as of yet.Ā "Very well, you can begin." His mental preparation over, now Owen had to apply theory to the test. If he held the flat of his blade, using it as a solid shroud. Only a master or a fool wouldĀ swing at a flying arrow... but I can play safer. He tried to observe how Sally aimed, surely he'd gain something if he knew where her eyes were looking at...

"I don't think it's going to get easier, either," Sidney said regretfully. "But, I'll stay with it anyway. I'm not going to get scared off just because the road ahead will be a tough one now that I've found something to care about. Even so, for now, it's nice to be home." Despite the time since they last talked, or perhaps because of it, Sidney felt as though she and her mother understood each other better than since she was very young. She gave a short but heartfelt hug before readjusting in her seat- the more current stories were still interesting too, and she found herself smirking at how her mother described Emmet. "Alain seems good enough.Ā I've barely spoken with him, to be honest, but I don't particularly dislike him, we just don't really seem to have similar interests what with him being a messenger for the Queen and me, well... I'm not in the highest regard here. I suppose my profession is currently an agent for Prince Owen?"

She pondered it for a few moments, then shrugged. "Well, it doesn't matter. But Emmet was fairly rotten. He seemed okay at first, but the more I talked with him he generally proved despicable, self-absorbed... totally incapable of understanding the feelings ofĀ others. Like how I acted when I was young, except worse, and he was a lot older than that. He tried betraying the group over... some stupid vial." The thought of it again made the young lady frown. "It was related to some strange sort of extended life. And there was an evil wizard named Malaphar who wanted another vial of the same liquid... I was so mad, I almost wanted to smash them into little pieces. I wonder if we would have been better off if I had, since the damn things have seemed to given us mostly trouble. But, regardless of how powerful it is, someone who would betray people who were their allies over an object, well, that says enough about their character, I think. Mediocrity might be giving someone like him too much credit."

"I understand...and again, I'm so sorry for everything." On top of his own feelings, it felt like an aura of sadness came from Vesta as she listened to the confirmation that her friends were dead. And it touched him, making him feel even worse. He had long since thought of all the things he could have done that night. How he could have prevented at least Octon's demise. And each time, he questioned if he would have done it. If he would have risked all the money he would have gotten to pay his mercenaries, just to save him. And he hated that he couldn't find a satisfactory answer for himself.

At times, he also hated how emotional he could get. It meant he still had a heart, yeah, but it kept hurting him more than help. And the emotional scars he carried kept growing by the number. And it was clear from the moment he woke up that day that it was affecting him. And finding his people, like Marrok had told him to, was not taking off any of the edge. ...But he did know what would.

Serge stepped away from the table that Vesta sat at, and walked over to the bar located inside the Guild Hall, before knocking on the wood of the bench. "Hey. I'd like some drink. Two glasses. One for me and my friend."

Edited by Dandragon

Spoiler

Morning Reverie

Constance blinked heavily. That was not something she was used to. She turned her eyes to Alain. "Did you...just...Did Belial just show something to you?"

-:-

"Indeed..." AlainĀ muttered.Ā AĀ dark expression overtook him as he fell back into reality. Belial playing his hand twice in one day was not something he'd anticipated. But the conversation they'd just become privy to was even more striking.Ā I need to speak with Queen Ethel soon. Whatever Malaphar's 'final goal' is, he's sure to find ample opportunity when half the continent is troubled by war.Ā Emmet's return was also a bit unseemly all things considered. A severed head, and still he was living and breathing again. In a battle of immortals, AlainĀ had to wonder if perhaps he was playing for the wrong side.Ā 

"You seem a bit out of your wits, Constance. I was under the impression that experiences like this might beĀ par for the course for any devout Belialist," he said, running his fingers through his hair.Ā "Was I mistaken?"Ā 

"It depends on what kind of follower you are" Constance muttered. "I lead a quiet life for the most part. Perhaps Belial is getting board of me if Ā he's wrapping me up in this business." Constance moved over to the window. She didn't really look out of it, she just wanted to appear to be doing something while the cogs in her mind processed what she had just saw. "That other man...Emmet. Do you know who he is?"

"Yes, fortunately--or unfortunately. A minor noble of House Dun who was working as a mercenary alongside Emily and the rest. A quiet man in so much as I could tell.Ā His only real defining characteristic was his great fascination for the Fountain of Ages," he replied.

"After a certain chain of events he turned on our group and was thereafterĀ executed by Prince Owen..." Alain added. "I don't suppose you wouldĀ have any ideas on Malaphar's 'final goal', wouldĀ you?"

Constance shook her head. "Belial gives us scraps and keeps the true meal right out of out grasp. Surely it has something to do with His World though. And this brewing war. It is not the first time he has tried to provoke large scale conflict."

Alain sighed. This whole thing about scraps and meals was honestly wearing on him. Would it really hurt the all-powerful arch-demon to be direct in whatever he was trying to say? Ā 

"Did Malaphar everĀ mention any enemies, or something of the sort? I just remembered this now, but when we were traveling through Magon there came a point where Malaphar left early in the morning without saying a word to anyone. But when he came back he was bleeding profusely and asking for our help," he said, putting his hand to his chin.Ā 

"I felt it then, and I still feel it now... something just wasn't right about that scene. It's unlikely that some wayward bandit would have inflicted such a wound on him, even if they'd caught him by surprise--and that in andĀ ofĀ itself would be surprising..."Ā 

"No. I can't recall Malaphar himself mentioning any enemies. But then, I don't think he would deign to acknowledge an enemy even if he did have one. An enemy has to be one's equal after all. And he doesn't believe anyone comes close to him. I know the college is aware of his existence, but he eludes them just as easily as he eludes me."

"Yes, I suppose you have a point there," Alain said, feeling a little defeated. Still, the fact remained thatĀ somebodyĀ had dealt quite a heavy hand to Malaphar. Whether Malaphar chose to acknowledge that person or not matter little in the end. If they were lucky, that someone hadn't been utterly annihilated and might make their appearance in the days to come. Else they may well and truly be damned.Ā 

"Honestly I feel as though I could spend an entire lifetime preparing and I still wouldn't be ready for the moment that man decides to play his hand--and I could onlyĀ wishĀ to have a lifetime of preparation," he said, knowing full well that even a couple of months would be unlikely.Ā 

Constance gave a husky laugh. "In a way you've just described me." She walked over to the door. "As I was saying, I must depart. You, and Belial, have given me much to think on." She was silent, staying in the doorway for a second. "Have you considered that if someone did manage to injure Malaphar as badly as you claim, then perhaps there's an even greater threat out there?" She smiled grimly. "A scary thought, I think." With that, she left.

Ā 

Ā 

Alain sat quietly inĀ his study, penning away onĀ important documents and adding some minor clarifications in his report to the Queen. After everything that had been revealed to him,Ā it was the best activity he could do to keep himself grounded in reality. And what a strange reality it was.Ā I've lived through my own death, made a deal with a demon that some people spend their whole lives condemning, and made an enemy of the most powerful mage perhaps in existence without even meaning to.Ā It was a wonder that he hadn't already been locked up in the asylum.Ā 

He stared idly at the gathering of papers that polluted his desk.Ā I ought to deliver theseĀ to the Queen now but...Ā But the Castle would likely be at it's most active and there were certain things he wanted to talk about that he would prefer to keep from the ears of any prying courtiers.Ā He pulled away from his desk, let out a sigh and stretched his limbs, resolving to visit the castle later in the evening.Ā Suppose I ought to allow myself a moment's reprieve at this point.Ā 

Slogging away any further on his paperwork had lost its appeal hours ago, and sitting around thinking about Malaphar was something he'd had plenty of time for later. After a moment's consideration, he got up from his chair and decided some research was in order. Bargaining with Belial in exchange for worldly power was all well and good, but it mattered little to his identity as a mage if he couldn't learn anything. After all, as a great man once said, 'one should never be satisfied with one's current position. There are always greater things to strive for.'

Indeed.

Alain heads to the Arcane Library.Ā 

"Everything about him defies expectation..." Over a hundred years old? That gave him so much time to learn an practice magic, it was no wonder that Malaphar was such a big threat... not that the realisation helped Claire much. This Arachne girl, however, might be another story. She turned in order to face the blue haired girl, a curious look on her face.

"That's... strange. Helpful, but strange." The comments about her aura weren't particularly offputting, even if she didn't like the comparison to Ezekiel very much. "Perhaps it's because we've both been to His World? You could be picking up on the scent of his magic, or something along those lines..." She didn't sound too certain, but it was the best thing the mage could theorise in the moment.

Jannes' intervention in the conversation was actually ended up causing Claire more discomfort than relief, with what he wanted to know next. "I can vouch for it. Our route from Wyke wasn't smooth, and well..." Claire didn't want to recall Emily's death, and risk letting all of the 'what ifs' and 'could have beens' get the better of her again.

An lengthy sigh broke the silence, but it didn't make the situation any more comfortable. "She woke up yesterday, but she's having some memory problems. It's not full-blown amnesia, I think, but there are details missing which she never would have forgotten." Emily had absolutely adored Serge; there had to be some kind of side effect to the Fountain's magic.

Edited by SB.
fixed spacing

Well, he did know, and he was sharing. That was good... Cass might not've understood these commoners entirely, but she wasn't heartless. Having this girl come along not knowing the fate of her friends would've been far too cruel. And if she'd been told at some point through their journey, it likely would've hit far harder. Cass did shake her head as soon as Serge went to get a drink, sighing. "Too quick to that, goodness, Serge..." With a curious glance back at Vesta, she didn't know if there was much she could say. Hmm...

"They fought valiantly," she mentioned, figuring it was appropriate. "If I'm correct in thinking of who they were, neither went down without a fight... I'm not sure if that sort of thing matters to you, but it would to me, so... I felt it good to share. Serge is a bit unsure of himself, from what I've seen, but... Well." She looked over at him, almost smiling. "If he has strong people beside him, he'll make it. And if you want to meet the prince at all, please, don't hesitate to ask. He's not all that busy, on the road... Hmm." Is there anywhere I should be, right now? I don't think so... With what she wanted to say said, she stepped away from the girl to give her the time she wished to herself, looking around at everyone else here. "This sort of thing wouldn't be that bad, would it?"

"Yes... he always did, didn't he? A part of me thinks he might even have seen Deira's assault coming... both of us out of the country, both Owen and Cassandra as well, already en route to Tytilla? Perhaps it was coincidence, or perhaps they underestimated Deira..." Adele pondered for a moment, before shaking her head.

"Considering such things doesn't help us, I suppose. There was... one other reason I came to see you. Seeing as it might be the last chance... before we leave Tytilla for war, I am to be married. We are on rather short notice, I've not even a set date or locale, but Queen Ethel seems to have things under control... Father cannot be here for obvious reasons, so I would like it if you would attend... I'll send a messenger with further details as I receive them."

"Yes, I have quite the firsthand experience in that... she found herself in plenty of trouble even just today, and seeing how many people were talking about it, that it was only temporary is very fortunate" Freya noted, crossing her arms. "Someday the princess might not be so lucky... I don't want that day to come, but her attitude to many difficulties in life is so cavalier that I think she would be wise to be more cautious. She simply doesn't seem to consider some of the alternative outcomes to her actions, nor does she seem very interested in doing so."

She glanced towards the books/ "Maybe DeiraĀ didn't feel like they could have been successfulĀ before... if they know of King Oswald's weakness, perhaps this is the first time they felt opportunistic enough to take action since then. I suppose we could only hope to guess at their exact thought process."

Smarty Pants

Turstam gestured to Sally, the woman still hesitant to fire upon the prince. "It might hurt a fair bit, even these training arrows aren't gentle." she replied, pulling the bow's string. Turstam crossed his arms, smiling confidently as Sally nervously took aim. "Good luck and... sorry if you don't get it the first time."

Releasing the bowstring, Sally fired the arrrow directly at Owen's chest. It was only a split second, to the untrained eye it would have been difficult to see what had happened, but the sound of the arrow striking Owen's blade then a dull thump against the wall had been proof of his success. Sally let out a sigh of relief, dropping the bow as soon as she saw Owen was unharmed. Turstam appeared impressed, looking at Owen's stance with pride.

"Astounding, on the first attempt too... it took me months before I could even hit the arrow." he marvelled, still scanning Owen with his eyes. "Tell me, who exactly are you? I'd assumed you were one of the nobles' sons, but I hadn't heard of any with such prowess with a blade. I'd like to see this talent of yours develop... I'm still impressed that you picked it up so quickly."

Owen learns Arrowguard!
Owen gains 1 Skill!

Ā 

Scary Stories

Elvira returned her daughter's embrace, having truly reconnected at long last. "We can fix this, Charlotte. Last time, we were too busy fighting, but now we both understand each other a little more." she replied, her face showing disgust at the mention of Emmet's antics. "Hopefully you won't have to spend time with people like him again. Some people will just do anything to get what they want, no matter how deplorable the things they have to do... that Ferdinand seems a little like that. I hope he doesn't have anything awful in mind."
Ā 

Light Reading

The poorly lit Arcane Library carried an eerie atmosphere, the lone dirty window doing an awful job of letting light in. A strange mustached man, his long eyebrows matching the black handlebar was adjusting the shelves. Considering that nobody else was present sans for Alain himself, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that he was running the place. Several copies of "The History of Turnips" were on display, all of them appearing near new. However, there was one tome that was signalling to Alain. It was a dark volume sitting on the counter, next to an empty chair. It was as if he were with Belial once again, the uneasy aura giving of hints of darkness.
Ā 

Forgotten Consequence

"Fascinating, not only have you come into contact with the Fountain's water, but you have met an individual revived by it?" Jannes exclaimed, nearly tearing his beard from his face as his stroking intensified. He was caught off guard by Claire's comment about The World. His eyes wide and his mouth gaping, the tutor had been stunned into silence. Instead, Arachne began to speak, filling in the tutor's silence. Her expression had shifted, she seemed far more interested in Claire after hearing what she'd revealed.

"And you have returned?" Arachne asked, an admiring glimmer present momentarily in her cold eyes. "What did you see? Ezekiel described it as a terrifying paradise... but the words of the insane cannot be taken seriously. What power did he have over it? An accurate account would improve our understanding greatly."

Jannes had managed to calm himself, putting his hand to his forehead. "Claire... this person who was revived by the vial... would you be able to bring them here?" he asked, audibly exhausted. "To think, you've learned more than any other has in centuries, you could even be offered a permanent position here if you so wished."
Ā 

Even Serge began to drink

The barkeep, a burly bald man, nodded, sliding Serge a pair of tall glasses. "Finest ale in Tytila, even the Golden Experience ain't got nothing on it." he boasted, waiting for Serge's payment. "I heard people talking about that tournament last night, people were real impressed at what they saw. Don't worry though, the guy who won musta been that lunatic from the asylum. No shame in getting knocked out by him, Steve. Maybe things will pick up for yer soon."

Vesta looked up at Cass, still distraught at the loss her friends. "It's how Octon would have wanted to go... but he was so young." she replied, making eye contact with the princess. "It's just so sad to think that I'd never be able to see them again."Ā 

There was another pause, followed by a somber question. "Have you ever had to say goodbye to someone close to you?" she asked, watching for Cass' response before she escaped. "I just don't know what to think."
Ā 

Wedding Date

Graham was perhaps a little surprised by the mention of a wedding, but he bounced back quickly, giving his sister a firm nod. "Don't worry, I'll be there. There's no chance that I'd miss my sister's wedding... maybe there's some good in you ending here after all?" he replied, already making plans in his head. "I should be able to skip out on training to go, there's so many things I need to get ready... I hope I've got my good clothes with me. I need to go check!"

Graham clumsy hurried away, not even wishing his sister a fairwell. Perhaps he had a lot to do?
Ā 

Convenient Truth

"The Princess is something alright, I'm starting to think round 2 with Nona would be safer than hanging with her." he laughed, followed by a shush from the other library goers. "Royalty do what they want and tells us nobles how they want things. Then we tell commoners like you what they want to do. You'll probably end up telling your underlings what to do one day. It's how our society is structured, the downtrodden always end up bossing down the people below them."

Esclabor shook his head, raising a hand. "Then someone let slip that King Oswald was sick. Nobody outside his inner circle was meant to know. I didn't find out until Magon." he replied, tapping his chin gently. "No clue how anyone from Deira would have found out. Either we had a spy or a rat knocking around the castle. Everything fits too neatly together for it to be a coincidence. I'm starting to think that we can't really trust anyone outside our group. I mean, after all we've been through, we know people like Alain and Serge are decent enough... but then we had that asshat Emmet. At least I know you're a reliable little rascal, maybe it's a good thing after all you're so caught up with your job."

Cass paused upon being asked. Had she ever had to... Hmm. "Yes. I have. You're taking it quite a lot better than I did, though I suppose you aren't watching them die... I've had to say goodbye to family, and know that another is on his deathbed, wasting away as I remain here. Yet there's nothing I can do." Perhaps she had more to talk to with this Vesta than she'd thought. And perhaps more in common.

"Life works the way it wishes to," she started, turning to face her again. "If I had done differently, perhaps I could have prevented my first brush with loss. The second, I did everything I could to make it less awful. Instead of death, he simply left. A better outcome, but one that isn't less painful, to me... He still lives, but will I ever see him again? I don't know. And the third... The third is my father. And I know I will weep for him when he passes." She bestowed Vesta a wry smile, shaking her head some.

"I may be royalty, but the pain we know passes our class, doesn't it? All I can say is... Let it hurt. Cry, if you must. Remember what it feels like. So that if you are faced with it in the future, you can do whatever you must to stop it from happening again. This sort of feeling is one I wouldn't wish on anyone, even my most hated enemy... It's cruel when life does what it wishes."

Edited by Nanami Touko

Alain's first idea had been to visit the local college in order to catch up with some acquaintances and browse the research volumes available.Ā But as things were to happen, he felt curiously compelled to make a short detour along the way. Pushing his way into the arcane "library" he was greeted by the visage of a banal shop with a rather minuscule selection of books. There was a clear magical aura about, however, so he considered himself fortunate and helped himself inside.Ā 

He offered the shopkeeper a simple pleasantry, out of habit if nothing else, and quickly set about scouring the shelves in search of some relevant material. Why does he have so many books about turnips here?Ā It was a compelling question, but AlainĀ quickly felt his attention being guided to matters of more import. Nestled on the counter top was a lone book, and beside it a conveniently placed chair.

Slowly but surely, he began to feel aware of Belial's influence lingering about. Your guidance is appreciated as ever...Ā He turned back towards the shopkeeper, who seemed altogether too busy tending the shelves to even bother acknowledgingĀ him. Guess I'll be helping myself then...Ā 

He took both the book and the chair and made his way across the shop towards the only source of light available. The sun was shining brilliantly--but insideĀ it provided little more than a murky illumination. He placed the tome on his lap, studying its craftsmanship intently. It seemed to be bound with diligent professionalism, unlike the previous journalistic book he'd been gifted in Wyke. Hopefully its contents would prove more enlightening.Ā 

Carefully, he slipped his finger under the cover and set about his task.Ā 

Edited by Vestige

"Thank you, mother." Sidney was quite pleased with how nicely things had worked out with her family, especially with how much she dreaded speaking the truth of her situation with them the day before. "Ferdinand... jealousy can bring people to do terrible things. I wonder if that's related, or if that's just me being vain. But the way he talked, it seemed for sure that he knew I have a boyfriend now, so there could definitely be some animosity over that considering he was pining for me before, so..." She sighed. "I don't understand boys. Someone who's as much of a jerk as him wanted to be with me, but Owen... he's well meaning, but sometimes I have to spell my feelings out to him. If only he would just sweep me off my feet or something romantic like that..."

Jannes' excitement was disconcerting, causing Claire to shift in her seat slightly. Even the previously deadpan Arachne seemed impressed, but the Wykian couldn't share in their enthusiasm. It all sounds wonderful, until you actually live it. Persistence and good fortune, if you could consider it that, had brought Claire this far - but she felt as distant from finding an answer as ever. All she could do was hope the college had something of use to her.

"I was only in His World for a short time, but it was like nothing I've ever seen." Just the memory of it made her want to shiver. "It was covered in a thick fog, so it was difficult to say how large it was, but everything there was like a warped version of our own world. Malaphar could control everything there as if it was an extension of his own body, and the injuries he sustained in our world seemed meaningless there - even if it looked like he was on his death bed before." That was the impossible piece of the puzzle. If he was only vulnerable outside of his haven, but he could access it at a moment's notice, what could they truly do to stop him?Ā 

"His control wasn't perfect, however. It was fortunate that there were five of us in the World, and he seemed to struggle with splitting his attention between us all. But even when we seemed to gain the upper hand, he simply ejected us, and never emerged... I just don't understand how to deal with that." Claire shook her head, feeling even more lost after the recount. "I'm trying to learn the same magic, to try and understand how it works, but I doubt I'll reach the same level of proficiency with it as him. We don't even know when he'll launch his next attack, now that we've directly opposed him."Ā 

It seemed logical that Malaphar would, at least, recognise their group as a legitimate threat after their previous encounter. They'd also dealt with the twins with little trouble. This could lead him to choose his next move more carefully, and bide his time for now, but when it came it was difficult to see how the prince's companions could come out on top. The deck was stacked against them.Ā 

Still, she was quick to voice her hesitation when it came to Emily. "Are you going to try and study her?" The offer of a place at the college meant nothing to her - she had commitments and a place to call home back in Wyke. Claire doubted that Jannes would want to do anything bad to Emily, but at the same time she didn't know if Emily was really wellĀ enough to take out. There was the possibility of this all overwhelming her as well, with strangers asking questions that were likely to just confuseĀ her more. Claire sighed. "I'll bring her here if she's well in a few days, she's still fairly lost at the moment..." The mage rubbed the back of her head, unsure if the revived girl would ever be truly fine again.

Serge dropped the pay into the hand of the barkeep, and picked up the two glasses before slowly walking over Vesta's table. But however silent he was, he did think about what was said to him by that same barkeep. He had called him 'Steve', which was the name of one of the people he had fought in the Coliseum last night. He did remember how he looked awfully similar to him. But that wasn't what unnerved Serge. 'Lunatic'. That's what he was called. And it wasn't hard to see why. When he won against Arteria, he had pulled on her arms until they were dislocated. But what was he supposed to do? He couldn't kill her, they already tried that? And he definitely wasn't going to just let her go free. Not after what she did. But, he started to doubt himself, again, going in the same old circle of thought that kept him awake at night.

'Let it hurt. Cry, if you must. Remember what it feels like. So that if you are faced with it in the future, you can do whatever you must to stop it.'

Serge seemed to catch the end of a conversation between Cassandra and Vesta, and the words he heard resonated with him on an emotional level that he didn't expect from the Princess. Especially after their conversation about 'lackeys'. He stopped in his tracks for moment, unsure how to feel about what he heard. Cry? There wasn't time for him to be crying. Only time to lead. To watch over. Besides, he had already cried to a stranger, today, even if it was for less than a minute. Even if he wanted to cry more-

Serge shook his head, and continued his walk to the table. He sat the glasses down, and pulled up a chair to sit with his new hire. Then, he pushed a glass towards her. "Here. Just drink and let it out." He wished he himself could follow that advice. But instead, he held his tears back. Until it bursts, like a balloon filled up with far too much water. It wasn't healthy, much like his addiction, but he still kept going on the same way. Serge lifted the glass, and took a small sip, savoring the taste the 'finest Ale in Tytila'. "I don't want to say I know how you feel." He lowered the alcoholic beverage back down on the wooden surface. "Hell, I don't know what else to say, other than 'I'm sorry'. But I've said that enough, already, and I know apologizing won't bring either of them back." He paused, and watched the cold drink reflect the poor state that was his face.. "So instead, I'll make the promise I made to everyone else in the Hearthfire Crew. I promise you that I will do everything I can to stop it from happening to you." He took another sip of the drink. He was quiet as the glass hit the table again, the silence of the conversation only interrupted by the conversations of the many hardy adventures, drunk or otherwise, in the background of the Guild.

"We'll cross dangerous roads from here on out, I can't lie to you about that. We're facing off against people that want to kill us. Sometimes for no good reason. But, that's the life of a mercenary." He turned his head to face Vesta, pausing again to let everything sink in. He breathed deep before speaking, once more. "I want you to promise me something Vesta. Whether or not you decide to join the Crew, whether or not you tell me to stuff it or whatever. I want you to promise me that you'll live for them. Live the life they couldn't." Through this motivational speech he gave to Vesta, through the words of encouragement he did his best to give to her, deep down Serge knew one thing. That he was a massive hypocrite.

Edited by Dandragon

Freya was curious as to what Esclabor meant about Nona, but the shushing from the other library visitors lead to her reconsidering that. "Perhaps so... I doubtĀ I'llĀ be in charge of anyone any time soon, at least. We don't exactly have anyone I outrank, nor does that seem likely to happen in the near future."

"As for the king,Ā I have no idea. But the timing seems too likely for it to be a coincidence when a full scale invasion of our country happened so shortly after his health waned. Still, I would have no idea who had access to such information while having ill intentions, too.Ā I don't usually get told that sort of thing, of course, seeing as it's not my job. Maybe at some point it will be, but until then, well... I get by well enough. I know better than to complain when I'm doing okay, regardless of how I feel- though in this case, I'm fine not knowing. The workings of kings and queens are beyond my knowledge, anyway."

Time to say Goodbye

Vesta had listened to Cass' story without interrupting at all, intently following her sentences. "I see... so even someone like you experiences loss like the rest of us." she replied, her expression still sombre but not tearful. "It's just so strange to think that I'll never see them again, but you're right... I'm still here. Crying won't get them back, and it won't let me keep going forwards. It's going to take some getting used to, but I'll keep trying. Besides, a ballista isn't much good if its operator is bawling her eyes out."

Serge's reappearance came at a good time, Vesta seemed to welcome the offer of a drink. Wiping her eyes, she looked up at Serge with a more cheerful expression. "I'm more a fan of the Horseman's special brew, but it's very much appreciated." she replied, accepting the glass. "I think I understand what the job entails a little bit better now. I've never really been right at the front line, but I can't live in a bubble forever. I'll do my best to stay alive, just make sure you keep an eye on yourself too, if you die you won't be able to pay any of us."

Knowledge from Beyond

With the Library's owner preoccupied, Alain had been given the perfect opportunity to sample the book. Thick and bound with a dark cover, even touching it gave off a forbidden pleasure and a sense of power. The symbols and characters were completely surreal, nothing like the words and letters of his own written language. However, by Belial or some other reason, he was able to understand them for the most part. The preface appeared to speak of some sort of uniting principle between Belial and existence itself, although the phrasing was rather vague and woolly. A fuller understanding could have probably been obtained, if he were to have more time. With the library owner finishing with his shelves, Alain's options were varied... but not without consequences.

The bow was drawn, though Sally's hesitation was almost infectious. Taking a deep breath, Owen nodded, eyes drawn to the arrow itself. It wasn't supposed to hurt, but it was still a small, relatively pointy object being thrown at him. Before he knew it, Owen had started to fear theĀ worst, and grit his teeth. The arrow was released, and thoughts gave way to instinct.Ā It all happened in a fraction of a moment.

The sound of a hit on metal resounded, and before he knew it, the arrow had flung astray, the flat of his sword absorbing the impact. Owen let out a relieved breath, his stance relaxing. I shouldn't let my worries take over,Ā that could've costed me more than it helped. His mistakes, once more, haunted him, but for now he'd done well, showing his swordsmanship wasn't just a formalityĀ once more. In fact, his prowess took the interest of his tutor guard, whom asked a fair question about his identity. It took a moment for Owen to rightly reply, a bit surprised that he wasn't immediately recognized in these parts. I thought a foreign prince would be the talk of the city. It was ...different to not be recognized instantly, Owen had so long figured himself a public figure.

"Oh, I am not a noble from this kingdom, my apologies." OwenĀ sheathed his sword, looking once more levelheaded, as the tension had gone by. "I should have introduced myself in full. I am Prince Owen of Wyke, here to speak with your Queen about Deira's actions. There's been some free time before our last meetings, so I helped myself to know your city." Surely that was no overwhelming speech, able to explain his intentions well enough. "I'm flattered you think so highly of my swordsmanship. I've practiced it since an early age, but there aren't many nobles in Wyke dedicated to the sword either, so I have no idea where I place."

"Pffthah... What a wonderful little girl you've found, Serge." Cheering up just like that, and being cheeky to boot? Perhaps I'll get along with some of his mercenaries yet. "Also, did you say ballista? You've managed to find someone with a siege weapon, Serge? Goodness... Won't the rest of the group be surprised to see that. I can't imagine a group as small as ours going about with it, but it will be impressive to see, I'm sure. I may return to my room with the good captain here, will that be alright with you? Or am I still needed as your escort?" If Vesta was being cheeky, then there was room for some more~

Visions of the World

"Fascinating, the link between Malaphar's magic and illusions is perhaps rather vague... but it is an interesting approach. One could argue that forming the vision of an absent object is merely the first step before creating a new object, and such forth a new location entirely." Jannes pondered, almost as if he had forgotten the company he had in the room. "And beyond that, controlling said location... I do wonder how long it had taken him to develop his abilities. Does a concept such as time even exist in a realm like that?"

Arachne gave a cough, in an attempt to bring the pondering sage back to reality. "Hypotheticals aside, even beginning to tap into such magic is not without risk. Although I admit that the concept is rather exciting." she added, almost admiring Claire as she sat in her chair. "Would it even be possible to use such magic against him? Surely with his mastery, he would have the considerable advantage. There's also no telling what would happen if two individuals were to use it at the same time."

Almost ignoring Arachne, Jannes nearly jumped at Claire's offer to bring Emily to him. "There's no rush, but as soon as is convenient for you." he replied eagerly, his hands trembling with excitement. "Claire, you truly are an impressive young woman. Do you come from a line of spellcasters? Are you from the house of Ashwell? No, perhaps Edion or Enidraine? Or maybe even a revival of the Valter line... oh, the curiosity of it all."

Men

"Men and boys aren't that different at times." Elvira replied, fully appreciating the time to aid her daughter. "Your Owen sounds like a man in some regards, but like a boy in others... he needs his time to find himself." she replied, imparting the wisdom she'd held on to for so long. "Ferdinand sounds like he's very much a boy still, playing petty games to get revenge after all these years. If only we had some way of investigating him, I can't imagine Queen Ethel would want to lend us any her spies would she? Unless Prince Owen is going to be able to sweet-talk a few out of her."

The Greatest Ant

"You might be just a grunt, but I think you've done alright enough to get a little praise." Esclabor replied, almost thrown off by Freya's uninspired response. "Frolicking around Magonsaete and stopping the Prince from getting his face eaten by a savage's got to be worth something. Duke Herman's one of my gambling buddies, he's won enough money from me to owe me a favour or two. I could put in a good word for you. I figure you'd be a pretty fine guard captain."

Esclabor let out a laugh, followed by another shush from the library, "Royalty does as royalty wants, it's a crazy world they live in. I don't pretend to understand international politics either, I just do what I'm told by the big cheeses." he remarked, his frustration somewhat apparent. "There's some little turd who's probably done incredibly well out of all this.Ā If I ever find out who it is, there won't be any vials strong enough to fix what I leave behind."

Royal Pants

Turstam and Sally stared at Owen with wide eyes, turning to each other for a good ten seconds. "Wait, that would make him King Oswald's son. The King Oswald." Turstam gasped, bringing his hands to his face. "Rumours are that he was unbeatable at his prime. Wyke never lost a single battle they were in under him... it would make sense his son knows how to handle a blade."

Sally nudged Turstam, gesturing back to Owen. "Oh, of course. My apologies, Prince Owen. It's an honour to have been of service." Turstam added quickly, bowing his head. "I always pictured that a prince would stick out like a sore thumb, but you're actually really easy to talk to. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything like this with Queen Ethel. I really hope that the technique serves you well, it's certainly helped me out a few times.

Edited by Shin

Claire nodded slowly to Jannes' theory - she'd heard something similar before herself. "If he's as old as you say, I'm sure that he had plenty of time on his hands. As I said, I'm still not convinced that he's gained complete control over the magic yet, so it's either a recent thing or incredibly difficult to learn..." Neither prospect was particularly reassuring.

Arachne's point was valid, but it wasn't something Claire hadn't considered. "I understand that, but even if I can't turn the magic against Malaphar, that doesn't mean that learning it was pointless." A faint smile appeared on her face. "The material I have on his magic is incredibly limited, but if I was able to produce even a feebler version of his spell, that would mean I have a fairly solid understanding of how Malaphar's World works. From there, determining the limitations and weaknesses becomes much easier, and then the chance of defeating him becomes very real."Ā 

Perhaps she was oversimiplifying it, or the mage was overconfident, but it seemed like a solid basis to work off of. The real question was if she was capable enough to do it? Even if the head tutor was showering her with praise, Claire couldn't be sure. "As far as I know, I'm the first mage in my family. The middle Valter sister is a mage as well, although she hasn't received any kind of formal training like me."Ā 

She offered a small shrug. As far as Claire was concerned, that was the only reason for her own success. Her circumstances had been fortunate (for learning magic, at the least) and she'd simply poured more time into the subject than anyone else she'd known. When she thought about it, this could be a chance to help Decima out with her spellcasting, considering home seemed to be a long ways away now.Ā "Would you be willing to help her, in exchange for bringing you Emily - the vial patient, that is, for you to examine? Her technique isn't awful, but I'm not particularly great at teaching myself."Ā 

Oh dear, that was more information than Owen expected. The shock and surprise from the commoners was understandable, but the realization the guard knew of his father, and held him in such regard no less, was a shocker for Owen. Was he really that kind of man? It's hard to see him that way... though he did father me at a late age. It was such a curious coincidence, the more his father faded, the more Owen learned of Oswald's past. If only I'd made this journey at an earlier age, huh...

"Thank you for your words." There was little else he could add, pleasantly surprised with the guard's reaction, only hoping his blade would stay sharp for this sake.Ā "I must say, I never heard these stories of my father, this is a first." For a man he knew for his whole life, it still struck him a bit odd.Ā Even if recent events showed his father had a part of his life hidden, surely Owen would know were his father such a popular figure in combat. "I only knowĀ him as a skilled diplomat,Ā it's hard to imagine that."

Alain's eyes grew wide as his finger began to traceĀ the page. What language is this even written in?!Ā Every syllable he pieced together, and every word he parsed--all of it was completely foreign to him. Or at least, it shouldĀ have been.Ā He quickly came to the rather unnerving realization that he was still able toĀ decipher the text with no more effort than it would takeĀ to cast a spell. That being said, the prose itself was a different beast altogether. The book was steeped in flowery language and vague allegory. To gather any substantial meaning from the text he'd likely have to devote a fair bit of time reading it cover to cover. Perhaps even multiple times.

He took a quick look at the owner, who seemed to be nearing the end of his task. He brought his hands to his templesĀ and stared hard at the book. Asking the owner for a chance to keep reading it likely wouldn't amount to much because of what it implied. If anything it could result in him getting sold out to the church just based on what it implied. In fact, he began to consider the possibility that the book was sitting on the counter for just that purpose.Ā Buying it outright was out of the question then for much of the same reason, but also because he frankly didn't have enough money on him to cover its likely value. He would have loved to at least hear the story on how the owner came into possession of the book, but he would unfortunately have to make do without.Ā 

He rose from his chair with deliberate speedĀ and slipped the tome into the folds of his robe, quietly striding towards the door. He could feel a pang of guilt start to wash over him, but he remained resolute. His choice was clear. He couldn't afford to bring unneeded attention to himself--not before speaking with Queen Ethel on the matter. And if Belial was going to be the trump card he would pull out against Malaphar, then he didn't have time to sit around debating with himself about the ethics of pilfering demonic scripture.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Subject for Pupil

"If there is any way we can assist you, Claire... just let us know." Jannes replied, eager both to get his hands on a victim of the vial as well as further Claire's own research. "If it is funds or reading material or resources, feel free to ask and we shall deliver. I'm sure you'll be the first in a long line of highly respected spellcasters, all you need to do is find a suitable partner for yourself."

Jannes laughed, smiling as he looked at the deadpan Arachne. "I jest of course, but it would be a shame to see your bloodline disappear. However, I would very much be interested in teaching a Valter... the previous generation was relatively bare, there were two sons but neither showed an inclination to spell casting, a real shame too."

History of Legwear

"It's hard to tell what are just stories and what has actually occured, but King Oswald has far more stories than any other swordsman." Turstam commented, gripping the handle of his sword. "I'm not certain if these stories are common in your home country, but there tales of him slaying dark sorcerers and fending off armies with but a handful of men. Most of these sound like they're scuffles with Magonsaete, and we don't really get any details about them over here. You didn't hear this from me, but our higher ups say that trying to get information from your Duke Herman is like trying to get blood from a stone."

Naughty Boy

The library owner had remained oblivious to Alain's self-induced discount. The book was safely his for the time being, although any fallout that occured from the theft would be very much his problem alone. The tome gave off a warmth within Alain's robes, an approving glow that could well have been a message from Belial himself. Either that or someone had finally cracked the secret behind self-warming literature.

23rd April 812

The day had finally come, through the trials and persecution they'd endured, Cass and Adele had finally made it to their wedding day. Queen Ethel had managed to acquire Tytila Cathedral for the occasion, and had even provided a priest to conduct the ceremony. Unfortunately, trying to procure one for such a controversial wedding had left the options rather limited - meaning that Ezekiel had been "liberated" from the asylum for it. With Morta manning the pipe organ and Cass' own collection of flower girls, it was as if the thing had been planned for months. All of Cass' friends, and Esclabor, had done their best to be presentable for the occasion, even Serge's men looked less dishevelled than usual. Unfortunately Graham and Emily were absent for the start of the ceremony,Ā 

"Shame Emily's not well enough to come, boss." Lars commented, trying to adjust the scarf he'd fashioned into a tie. "I bet she'd be scrambling to catch them flowers when they get thrown, maybe yer should catch them for her and bring them back?"

The music had started to play, Cass and Owen were now at the door. The long red carpet in front of them was their path to Adele, and Cass' life as a married woman. The Cathedral was huge, the stone walls and stained glass windows giving off a sense of power, but also a gentle acceptance, even for the unusual marriage it was housing. Sebastian stood next to Adele, watching patiently as his master's bride approached. "I'll be sure to make a... report for your father." he chuckled, appearing genuinely pleased with Adele's arrangements.

Something was amiss though, there appeared to be far more guests than the small ceremony had intended to house. Slinking out of the shadows, entering through the side doors, stepping out from behind statues... and even from under the benches...

They were peasants, and they were certainly revolting.

"There they are! The two women getting married! Let's show them that Tytila don't appreciate them gaying up our cathedral! Run'em out of town, men! And women... and even you kids too, I bet you don't like them neither!"

Chapter 8: Til Death do us apart
Objective - Get Cass to the Altar and have Ezekiel wed her to Adele!
Bonus Objective - Revealed on Turn 2

a52b01ab625e5759df8e6ee043a2c714.png

Deploy in the red area! Obviously not on top of a peasant!

Players may choose between using their current weapons or a non-lethal novelty weapon with 0 mt and 80 hit! Remember, using your actual weapons will kill people! Armour is not available this map!

Whilst NPC's are present, only 3 may be deployed! If Sebastian is chosen, he may start next to Adele!

SPREADSHEET

Ā 

Ā 

It had become evening, the sky was growing dark and people were retreating to their homes. But not Graham, he had something else on his agenda. He'd always been an awkward child, his only friends were Owen, Cass, his own sister... and his elderly butler. He'd just never known what to say, or how to react around other people, but being away from home had made him a new man. No longer was he the timid mute who was afraid of his own shadow, he was now a young man... still afraid of his own shadow, but at least he didn't scream at it.

With his hair slicked back, a bow tie around his neck and a bunch of flowers in his hand, Graham had reached a (supposedly) new level of suave, he'd gotten through the guards and to Cass' door. His hand trembling, he knocked three times, awaiting a response. He'd never been able to say anything to Cass, people like Angus, Lionel and even his own sister had always been too nearby for him to get a private moment with her. This was his chance.

What a wonderful evening to finally relax... Her time spent about the town was quite the mess, but it had some silver linings. Aurus' response, actually managing to get a dress, that small moment with the mercenary girl... Things hadn't been all bad. Small silver linings, as it were. She'd expected to have been given the time to relax, but a knock at her door was quite troublesome... Unless--

"Adele, you know you can just... ... ... Graham?" It took her a moment to recognize the boy. He'd been here? In Raewald... Did Adele know? Huh. And he had flowers? For who? She shrugged gently, opening the door. "Well. I can't say I expected to see you here, but you're more than welcome to come in. It's been quite some time since I last saw you. Have you been treated well, here?" Cass stepped aside to give the well dressed brother room to come in, sitting herself down on the edge of the room's bed.

Graham's heart jumped as Cass opened the door, his hand nervously thrusting the flowers forwards. "Hello... Cass, these are for you." he replied nervously, his plans of being cool and collected dying faster than Lionel's men at Dettard's castle. Stepping forwards, he wiped his brow, taking a breath to try and regain his composure. He needed to be a man, he needed to stand on his own two feet. Jeeves had died because he couldn't grow up, he wasn't going to keep making mistakes because he was too cowardly.

"It's... been a challenge. I didn't know anyone and it was really hard to talk to people. But I've been trying." he added, standing awkwardly in the middle of the room. "I was so happy when Owen and Adele came to visit me, it was such a surprise. I even saw Morta and her friend too... I'm really glad that you're with everyone... I really wanted to see you as well."

"Oh, flowers. Thank you?" Perhaps they were in congratulation for the marriage? It was an odd gift, but it was what it was. She took a small moment to set them in the vase on the nightstand; she could get water for them after.

"Oh, good. I was hoping I wasn't the first person you got to see. But Owen, really? That must've been a lovely surprise for him. Oh, how did Adele seem to you? She's not too worried? Getting married so suddenly, I know it must be a lot for her... But it does make me happy. It makes he both of us happy, really. I've waited quite a long time to see this day."

With a small, girlish giggle, Cass smiled at Graham. "So, what did you wish to see me about? It must be important, with all this dress up to accompany it."

Cass really hadn't changed, she was the same girl that Graham had known before. For all the things that had changed in his life, it gave him some comfort that there were some things that remained constant.Ā 

"Yes, Owen was the first person to stop by, it was by accident but he really helped me out." Graham replied, remembering how he'd felt at seeing Owen. "I've always looked up to him, he always seemed so prepared and ready to step up... but I've always felt like a child being dragged forwards by everyone around him. If it hadn't been for... Jeeves, I wouldn't even be here today. But Owen said I could be strong too if I kept trying... and I want to keep trying."

Cass and Adele had always been good friends, but had Cass been that invested in seeing Adele married? Admittedly, his sister had turned down countless men in the last few years... who was Adele even marrying? Owen made the most sense, but someone like Lionel or Gerrard wouldn't have been too bad.

"I was wondering... well, what were your plans... for the wedding?" he asked, trying to muster the courage within him. "If Adele's getting married, I think it's great that you'll be there for my sister."

It was a bit souring for Jeeves to be brought up again, but Cassandra had made her peace with the man. "It's good that he died for someone, and not for nothing. It would have been just as sad for all of us were you to bet he one gone after that fight. Try not to worry any longer on him, though. He's likely watching over us now with a smile." She offered Graham a more pitying smile, but it was meant in earnest.

"Keep trying your best, Graham." Was that all he had to ask? "Oh, wedding plans?" Had Adele not told him? "Well, hopefully I make it down the aisle without tripping, or losing my nerves. Gosh, to think I'll be calling her my wife so soon~" Cass couldn't help her giddiness, giggling once more, placing a hand against her face.

"And how wonderful, to gain another brother with it! Owen's going to be so busy, and... With Father the way he is, it will be... Comforting. To be able to call you and Tobias family."

Graham smiled, the talk of the departed butler still made his heart ache, but the reassurance was such that he could get through without the same flashbacks he'd had for months. "I hope so, he was like a second father to me and Adele." he replied, looking up to the ceiling, as if Jeeves would wave from the chandelier. "Maybe he'll be watching the wedding too?"

It was good to laugh with Cass, he'd never been able to talk properly until recently. Maybe this was the beginning of a new era for him? If he could be confident, talk without making a fool of himself, maybe his chances were...

Completely destroyed.

Graham's bow tie dropped from his neck suddenly, almost symbolising his broken resolve. "Oh... that's nice." he replied, completely lost for words. How was that even possible? Could two women get married? Who would be the husband, who would have the babies... would Adele have to grow a mustache? It didn't make any sense at all. Logically, it made sense, they'd always been very close, but it was so strange for his own sister and his, now former, crush to be getting married. He couldn't bring himself to be angry, but it was so confusing and jealousy was creeping in. He was standing there like a fool, it had been a mistake to think he could have done anything as he'd planned.

"It's more than nice, it's wonderful! It's been quite the challenge to setup, but Queen Ethel's been helping us, and luckily the townspeople have been more agreeable than not with getting us what we need. We've barely been able to afford it, but we scratched by... It's going to be the most memorable day of my life, to say the least. Whether or not it will be the best remains to be seen. I am worried about Raewald's people, but... The Queen's word is law. I can only pray that stays..." Only time would tell, now.

"Oh... B-Brother, eheh, you've lost your bow tie. Can I call you brother? Gosh, it does feel a bit odd, but it feels nice. I wonder if Tobias will oppose me calling him Father... He was almost as such, to me. I never did have a proper one, growing up. What do you think?" Graham seemed a bit stunned, and she couldn't quite blame him. It was most certainly a foreign situation to him, and he was probably worried about Adele.

"Try not to worry about her-- Adele, I mean. I'll make sure to make her happy. You have my word~"

Graham was hearing Cass' words, but they all seemed unreal to him. How could he have let this happen? It had to be a cruel prank or a misunderstanding... right? Graham looked down at his bowtie on the floor, the garment having abandoned its master after his failure. He had no way of replying, he didn't want to hurt Cass' feelings by any means, but finding the words he wanted was impossible.

"I... it's such a surprise to see my sister get married to one of my best friends... it's taken me totally by surprise." he replied, sitting himself down on a nearby chair. His sister would be OK, wouldn't she? She was doing something incredibly weird, and he couldn't understand the logical process behind their attraction. "I'm glad she'll be happy... I really am."

"Oh, really? I must say, that surprises me a bit... We've always been quite close. Too close, some might say. I suppose it was just meant to be, all things considered~ Still, I'm pleased to hear you say you're happy. You were going to come, yes? I'm sure Adele would love the support. Everyone from our group is invited, of course..."

Cass figured that Graham might've been a bit awkward at such a social event, but... "Well, don't stress yourself out if you don't think you can. It will be moderately packed. You were always such a quiet and gentle boy, I can't imagine it would do well for your stress. Do try to though, hmm? You were asking me about my plans for the wedding, so surely you've considered going."

Graham nodded his head, not even wanting to think ahead from the current moment. His hopes and dreams had been dashed. There was no chance he'd be able to connect to a whole new person in the same way. It had taken him years to build up the courage for nothing. "I'll... try and keep calm. Just sit in the crowd, being really quiet... it'll be like I'm not even there, just like old times... right?" he laughed nervously, wishing that he could just disappear on the spot.

"It's been a... long mornin-... uh, day." he added quickly, standing himself up and marching towards the door. "I've just remembered I have... to go rehearse... for the wedding... so I know what it'll be like. So I don't, uh... get too nervous... because that's a thing I do. In fact... thinking about it's making me nervous, so I better... go practice, yeah, right now."

Graham's mind was a flurry of excuses and polite pardons, but there was one thing that was very much constant in his head.

"Engel kill me now."

She had been dancing around it, not sure as to if it was true, but Graham's acting was... Not hard to see through. As he moved to leave, she didn't try to stop him, as she didn't quite know what to say. Graham had always been a quiet child, having spent his life with no one but his family, Owen and herself. It wouldn't have been shocking for something to develop, there...

Cass bit her lip, nodding. She wanted to wish him well for his day, but she couldn't bring it out. Instead all that left, was "I'm sorry, Graham." She didn't know if anything else would help.

Edited by Shin