Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Was it over? Had things finally gotten better? ...No. No, it hadn't. Arteria had left, but he had seen what he needed to see. Cass's true self had finally shown, as did Adele's, and now... Now he couldn't look at them the same way. But...There was still Claire. Claire was still his friend, right? And with the risk of Hans' and Lars' deaths, he wasn't going to take any chances.

Serge to (6,5), rescue Claire

"You get away from her." He said, putting himself between Cassandra and Claire, and placing Claire behind him as he stood in the way of both the princess and his... former employer. "You think I'm supposed to believe that? You think that I'm just supposed to let everything go and believe you because you're crying? No. That's not happening. Not after what you've just said and done."

"The peasants are one thing, but that lady...she showed up because you let her! And now, it's obvious why. It's painfully obvious!" He could never trust her. Even if she says she is sorry, even if she truly never considered how she would feel if her brother or Claire died, he didn't trust her. "You said it yourself. 'You don't care.' How long before you stop caring about Claire? Or your brother?!" Serge shook his head. "I'm not letting that happen."

Edited by Dandragon

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No... D-Don't, take Claire away f-from me... I won', have anyone left... Hhhhh..." Cass weakly reached her arm out, shivering, letting it fall against the floor. She didn't have the will or strength left to fight anything. "I'm sorry... I, sorry... Ahhh..." There really was no fixing this, was there. No going back... She'd gone too far. Hiding it at the arena, managing it all before in Magonsaete... Now... Now, she wasn't going to be able to fix anything. Not just like that... "P-Please... Claire... I'm s-sorry..."

And just as abruptly as she had appeared, Arteria was gone. Most of the peasants were gone. Claire had just taken the blow without retaliation crumpling to the floor and garnering a reaction from Cass, and now Serge was getting loud again. Everything that could have gone wrong had, and it was getting worse, somehow. Everything was getting louder and louder, a foul cacophony ringing in her ears and through her skull, drowning everything out. Their little entourage was falling apart, Owen had been taken long enough ago that anyone leaving now would have no trail to follow... if Sidney couldn't catch up to him, they might have lost him for good, over nothing! Over this... Adeltrudis fell to her knees, a sharp pain registering in her calves. Looking down, the force with which Arteria had entered had thrown shards of stained glass even this far into the room... it was a miracle that no one had their throat slit when she came crashing through...

Throat slit, huh? Picking up a particularly large shard of glass, Adele looked it over with a morbid curiousity... it was long and sharp, naturally shaped as though it was meant to be a dagger. It would be so simple, to just... shut it all off. One smooth motion... no hesitation. It would all be over with... all she had to do was stop staring at it, and plunge it inward.

It certainly was tempting...

"'No one else'? You seemed to be pretty friendly with Arteria! I bet she'd love to be friends with you!" Serge kept an arm in the way of Claire. "Why don't you go follow her?! You know where she went out! There you'll have all the freedom you want!" Serge would not let her anywhere near Claire at this point. He wasn't going to lose anybody else. Especially not to this psycho princess.

Edited by Dandragon

Had she actually gotten through to Cass? Claire didn't allow herself to hope, half-wondering if Cass was just pulling some kind of trick on her with the staff. Was she just going to stop the healing and smack her on the head with it instead? Claire was about to take a cautious step back when something grabbed her from behind. "Whoa, wha-!" It was Serge. Not another enemy. She hoped.

At this point, Claire wasn't sure who she could trust. Cass' pleas weren't lost on Claire, but she looked away from the fallen princess and her protector, staring instead at the floor in the corner of the room. What was she supposed to say? What was she supposed to do here? Her world was just flipped upside down, faster than she could make sense of things. "What does sorry mean, Cass?" She met the princess' eye for a fraction of a second, before losing her nerve and diverting her gaze back towards the floor. Could a few pretty words really make this whole situation go away?

There was no way that could happen. Then why did Cass' pained cries still hurt so much to listen to? Why does everyone have to be gone now? Claire was completely at a loss. She knew what Serge was saying made sense, but the words still stung. "Shut up...Just shut up..." The message had no particular recipient - she just wanted things to be quiet and slow down. Too many things were wrong.

"No... I... Arteria, is... She's not..." She was something that Cass wanted to be, not someone Cass wanted to be with. She wanted... That freedom... But, this... This cost... "What, does sorry, mean...?" she croaked out through the tears. "It... I'm, not strong enough, t-to fix this, by myself... And I can't... I-I can't be alone... If I'm alone, again... I'll, just... I'll just, become her, Claire... Please... It was getting hard to see, through all her tears, her eyes were so red... Was that Adele behind them? She couldn't see.

"I don't... Have anyone, else... Sorry means I was, wr-wrong. I'll t-take wha'ever I d, deserve, bu' don', don', leave... Me..."

Claire had spoken up, and thankfully wasn't trying to go towards Cassandra. Still, Serge kept his stance, and did not move. In reality, Serge was holding himself back. He could easily take out his anger on Cassandra right now and end it. How else was he supposed to repay someone who ordered the death of his mercenaries just because she wanted to. But, the consequences would be far too big for him to deal with if he even tried, assuming he would make it out alive, afterwords. So instead, he had chosen to go on the defensive. Serge looked back at Claire.

"I think we should go after Owen. If they still want to get married then let's just-...Adele?" Serge then spotted Adele holding a glass shard in her hand after turning his head to the door of the cathedral. She didn't seem to be paying any attention to what was going on around her. All she was doing was staring at the glass shard. Serge braced himself for what she might do, expecting her to start lashing out at people.

Had she heard her name? Probably not... Cass had gone entirely off the deep end, Owen was gone, Claire and Serge had chosen their path already. Adele's palm and fingers began to bleed as she gripped the shard more tightly, the glass cutting into her hand as she squeezed it. There wasn't anything to think about anymore, was there? A slight tremor in her hand... ah, perhaps it wasn't as smooth and clean as she thought. As the makeshift dagger plunged into her throat, instinct kicked in, stopping her from dragging the glass across her trachea. Ah... not so painless anymore... 

Still, even if the wound wasn't clean, she'd bleed out on the floor soon enough, even if she hadn't immediately died, Adele reasoned to herself as she fell to the floor of the church, her consciousness leaving her.

Claire was torn. She wanted to be gone, and Serge's offer gave her a way out. But the logical part of her brain told her that leaving Cass and Adele alone like this (since Ezekiel hardly counted) was a horrible, horrible decision. While Serge turned his attention to Adele, Claire faced Cass again, trying her best not to flinch.

"Cass, I don't know what I can do..." She massaged her forehead with her palm. The pain from her Inferno cast was subsiding, but Claire still couldn't think clearly about this. She didn't have very much time to think about that, finally catching wind of Adele's plot, far too late. Claire glanced between the two wives to be with a look of horror on her face. "S-Sebastian, help her..." There was no end to this.

Esclabor to (7,14)

Freya charged her way past the peasants, only vaguely aware of the mayhem that was quickly unfolding behind her... and that Esclabor had gotten himself knocked out. "Dammit!" she cursed. "How did this all go so wrong?! A simple wedding turned into a travesty!" But, waiting around and pondering the situation would do no good. Having cleared a path through the peasants, she sprinted as quickly as she could in the direction that the peasants had captured the Prince, only hoping she wasn't too late...

Freya runs from the map after skittles and princeypants

Freya escapes to chase Owen!

Adele stabs herself!

MAP FAILED

Chapter 8
Adele incapacitated

The wedding came to a halt as Adele fell to the ground, the remaining peasants had decided to flee to avoid trouble. Nobody could have anticipated such a dramatic act, nor could they have none much to prevent it. Sebastian approached his master, slowly raising his staff and holding it above her neck. The shining light reflected against the flowing blood, the stream slowly calming. The fight against the peasants, and then Arteria, had worn him out, but there was still enough duty within his psyche to keep going. 

"Wounds such as these tend to be difficult to treat." Sebastian remarked, still relatively calm in his demeanour. "Perhaps a staff alone might not be enough... I fear I might have to get my jacket dirty. It cannot be helped though, I bid my pardon." Slinging Adele over his shoulder, Sebastian slipped over to the broken window that Arteria had escaped through. Looking back, he gave a sly grin to Cass and the group. "It may be misunderstood if I use the front door, and I'm certain there's a guard out there who isn't happy I borrowed his attire."

Hans and Lars were thoroughly baffled, looking at each other and hoping the other would give an answer. The wedding hadn't been quite like anybody had expected, and it was likely that they wouldn't forget it either. Guards had started to pour in, gathering as many of the unconscious peasants as possible. Thwomp stepped through his colleagues, ushering for the remains of Cass' group to leave. "Thwomp take you somewhere safe, better if somewhere different." he called out, the other wedding guests slowly coming out of their hiding places. There would be a lot to clean up after, both literally and metaphorically.

Spoiler

Owen gains 30 BEXP!
Cass gains 10 BEXP!
Claire gains 15 BEXP!
Serge gains 5 BEXP!
Sidney gains 25 BEXP!

Alain gains 45 BEXP!
Alain grows to level 15!
(15 76 30 65 98 66 24 34)
HP up!
Magic up!
Luck up!

Freya gains 10 BEXP!
Constance gains 30 BEXP!

Larissa gains 30 BEXP!
Hans and Lars gain 30 BEXP!
Vesta gains 20 BEXP!
Sebastian gains 5 BEXP!
Morta gains 20 BEXP!
Decima gains 20 BEXP!
Nona gains 20 BEXP!
Nelon gains 20 BEXP!
Esclabor gains 15 BEXP!

Please refrain from posting for a little! THE SHIN has things to set up! Alain, Owen, Sidney and Freya are exempt!

Edited by Shin

It wasn't long after his untimely demise that Alain once again awoke to the suffocating miasma Belial called his home. This time, however, he felt far more acclimated--likely due to his ever increasing affinity. "Praise be unto the Lord of Darkness, how charming are the words with which he speaks," Alain scoffed, steadying himself quickly. No doubt Belial was having himself a wicked laugh. The irony behind it all though, was that Alain was blissfully unaware of the real comedy happening just meters away from his physical body. 

"That old wretch of yours is the reason I'm even here in the first place. If ever I should end up here for a reason as stupid as that, it will likely be by her design. Of that, I can be certain," he spat, still smoldering after Constance's brazen display of ineptitude. "You ought to make sure she offers you a prayer or two. I would have hounded her to the end of her miserable days if I'd perished again so quickly," he added. 

He was priming himself to hurl a couple more insults for Constance, but mention of Queen Ethel was enough for Alain to momentarily soothe his smoldering ire. "I should have figured you'd be listening in on that," he replied, idly reaching for his skull. "She's always been somewhat keen to me, I think. Though I've never particularly understood why. Suppose I should just consider myself blessed that the most powerful woman in the Kingdom finds me a potent ally, and leave it at that. Though, I can't help but be a little wary--of the both of you," he groaned, just then becoming aware of the subtle influence Belial was trying to exert onto him. 

Siblings in Happier Times (Castle Tytila, Evening of April 18th, 812)

Spoiler

Yesterday had been terribly busy, with the plans to meet with Ethel, and all the difficulties he faced in the morning. Thankfully that day was considerably less, with plans of the wedding underway, finally it seemed that things would go well for his sister here in Raewald. Taking an opportunity in the evening while no nobles tried to occupy his time, Owen decided it had been some time since he last talked with his sister. With the news he brought from Ethel, the decisions he had to make soon, and her wedding day ever closer, there'd never been a more apt time to catch up.

Having reached the door to her chambers, Owen gently knocked, wondering if he'd come at a nice time. "Sister? It's me, Owen." He called out, waiting for a response before making any other action. She'd be at her room at that time of the day, right? It slipped Owen's mind to ask her what plans she had for that day... but no matter, anything important, he could learn now rather than never.

---

"La, la, la... Oh? Owen? Yes, come in. I was reading..." Cass was quite pleased to have someone at her door that she wasn't going to feel awkward about. Having to see Graham again after that mess... Ugh, the thought still bothered her.

---

A quick reply from his sister was all needed for Owen to know he wasn't trespassing on something, and promptly he helped himself into the room. It's good that this was her downtime. What would I have done if I carelessly stumbled into her and Ad-- actually, let's burn that thought right there. Waters past, especially now, with his sister to marry. They were each other's, and that deserved to be respected. I'll never grow if I keep stuck on what-ifs.

"Good evening, sister. Was your day good?" A blanket question, as Owen walked towards Cass, some of his worries uplifted as he entered a more casual atmosphere. "Goodness, yesterday was a rush, but at least I have quite a bit to share." He clasped his hands, "Well, best news first! Queen Ethel has procured a priest for your marriage, and claims she already found one, so that makes thing much easier." Better to start on a high note.

---

"It was certainly a day... Neither good nor bad, it simply came and went. Perhaps I am just too restless for the wedding... I hope it goes well. It is good to hear that Ethel has found someone suitable, though suitable to her may be unsuitable for us. I will assume the worst, and prepare for it... So? What is the bad news, then?" Cass assumed that Owen was prefacing the bad with some good, what little good she could be afforded.

---

"Well, I trust her suitable will do fine, it certainly seemed not many were intent in partaking... King Edwin was pretty set in his ways, and so were his people, from what I looked into." It was really unfortunate, but beggars couldn't be choosers, even if they were foreign royalty. Of course, Owen knew Ethel mentioned the priest was a man from the asylum, but there was no point in stressing his sister with such details... right? "Bad news... uh," There was a pause before Owen considered what to say, "I took a few considerations with Ethel, and well, I'm not sure I'd call this bad news, but I am considering joining her efforts to stop Deira before they could do more harm..." He paused, staring at his sister. "Of course, I want your opinion, from the options we have, going back home to recapture invaded territory, and marching from Myrcia to Deira with aid from Raewald are the only sensible decisions."

---

"Oh, that's all?" Cass had wondered if there was going to be something more dire. "I was afraid she was going to spring something foolish on you, like 'marry me prince Owen, and we can ride a joined crusade throughout Deira~', and otherwise. If attacking Deira is all she wishes to do, then by all means, let us join her. As much as I would love to go back home and save Wyke, if Deira is not put in check, should we fail, or not wipe them out completely, they would just come back. It's far too risky to ignore... Though, I am unsure how well the people would take us, not returning immediately. That is a choice you must make... For you are the king, as it stands."

---

The prince gave out a dry laugh as Cass admitted her worse worries, at the possibility of marrying Ethel. He quickly went on to address her topic on the choices. "They would not take it very well, I thought of the scenario. I'd be probably thought of as a deserter prince, maybe even a warmonger. Some might find it a good change considering my father's diplomatic nature, but I doubt it will be the right people." He laid it out as best as the hours thinking of the possibilities had him confident in, "But I think that's a good warning to foreigners, Wyke is seen as a weak kingdom, always looking for diplomatic resolutions and having a very unfocused army." Infantry and Light cavalry really wasn't much to boast in the face of other kingdoms... let alone their anemic archer platoons.

"To stop Deira with Raewald would be a first step in showing we're not to be trampled. I can get behind my father's vision for Wyke, a kingdom blessed with peace, a haven for people." Owen closed his hand into a fist, "But that can't mean we are to let other lands bully our people, like Magonsaete, and especially now, Deira."

---

"So... What do you think is best, then? Shall we stomp on over and force the king to stop, or take back Wyke and do the same after? I... I'd really rather follow you on this one, Owen. I feel like I already influence you too much... And I worry for what people see of you, because of it. My reputation among the nobles isn't amazing as it stands, and when we return, having wed Adele, I'm sure it will not improve... I do not wish for anyone to see you in lower standings for following my advice on something."

She held up a hand before he went so speak. "And do not take this for some self flagellation or lack of confidence. I am not depressed or soured at the thought of things. I simply worry for your standing. The country doesn't think you a capable leader, and with my backing, they will think it even less so. I must work on that myself before I can proudly support your decisions without worry of dissenters."

---

"What I think is best is for me to go with Raewald to the front, and you--" Owen cut himself as Cass told her piece of wanting to follow him, listening to her silently. Her plea did not fell on deaf ears, but the prince was visibly conflicted at the thought. "...I was going to suggest you return to Wyke, taking some others with you, like Adele, with a decree that you were to be Regent while I helped Raewald on the offense." He grit his teeth, knowing it was a tall order and sounded no less drastic the way he put it. "You have a point, it might not go as well as I expected." Wyke still had a strong tie to the church, even if not on Raewald's level. "Especially since we now know who Mr. E is... and with leadership as torn as it is, the chaos is too much to predict if you would be safe." Owen admitted, sighing as he shot his own suggestion down. "Then... Angus, I'll send him and tell him to find Lionel. I'll hope the two have what it takes to hold Wyke during this." That was that, hopefully.

...Assuming Owen and his sister could remain safe during the war.

"We'll still have a long way to go before people will accept you to the fullest." The prince sighed, observing his sister's resolve with a benign smile. "But it should be mutual. If they believe in me as king, then they have no reason to mistrust you, sister."

---

"Poppycock. They have plenty reason to mistrust me. As foolish as it is, my existence is an affront to their most beloved religion. I have not listened to father as much as the nobles would have liked, nor have I acted the part of Princess... Aside from that, I have not acted as a proper noble, either, princess or not. Rather than fight as I have been doing, I should have been doing my best to ignore their pressures while also putting on a proper show of things. It's taken me too long to realize this, and longer still will it take to put it into place."

The thought of sending Angus off by himself with just Lionel as backup was a bit much for Cass to accept, not managing to follow through with her suggestion of leaving her meddling out of Owen's dealings. "If you would trust myself and Adele, I wouldn't be against going back with her and some trustworthy people. That is your call to make, though. I wouldn't like to leave Wyke on its own as it is, but I also don't know if I could save it on my own... As much as I would love to try." Coming back to Wyke on a white horse, so to speak, Adele in tow or not, it would show that she had some form of responsibility to her country.

---

There wasn't much he could say back as Cass analyzed her own standing in the opinion of Wyke's nobles. As a brother, it was touching to see her care about such things, especially when he took it upon himself to help her bend the rules. Still, he wouldn't be a big brother if he felt he was free of blame. "I'd love to be on your side and show them you have my trust, sister. If they respect me, then they should come to respect you as well." Even if it was slow, he'd help his sister at the right time.

"Are you sure? Like I said, going back alone has it risks." Owen bit his lip, worried that his own suggestion had gained traction, now. "...I trust you with Adele, sister, but don't gloss over the risks for my sake. Angus would go back with Baron Esclabor, and with Lionel that's three men to command what is in Wyke." He explained option B in further detail, "If you go... well, we'd need to decide who goes and stays more carefully, then."

---

"I know that it's risky, but sending just the three of them presents more risk. We don't know if they've completely taken Wyke, we don't know who occupies the castle, if so... You'd need a much stronger force to take back Wyke if that was the case. Would that not be better with more people? With more capable people... I shall not mince words, Angus had never been the brightest. As a warrior, he is keen and worthy, but as an advisor, a man of strategy... I feel he would drag Esclabor and Lionel down. Should they not have someone with a more keen eye? I am new to the ways of war, but I am definitely more than a strong arm." Or so she hoped, folding her arms and looking at Owen.

---

"Cass..." Owen was impressed at the display if resolve, even at the risk it held. The prince hoped this time it came from a place of maturity, of responsibility and not whim, and had all reason to trust his sister. "If you feel that way, then you have my support, sister. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated your feelings." He nodded, "Angus is a brave young lad, but still very rough on the edges. He'd provide support and maybe learn a thing or two from them, I hoped... but I do admit his skill is not in being a counselor." Owen chuckled, though it felt a tiny bit bad to undermine the young baron like this. "He's not sure what to do best... and I don't blame him, I should lift the weight off his shoulders to make him more comfortable. Now I wonder who could be a good counselor..."

Before trailing too hard on that tangent, Owen set his stare back at Cass, as if to test his sister's resolve a last time. "If you believe you're the better choice, then we'll have to make preparations, decide who's going, then ready a ship. Though... we should at least wait for the wedding before working on the first two, right? I can arrange the ship and date with Ethel during the week, regardless of who's going." It wouldn't do to put that much weight on his sister!

---

"Perhaps he could learn a thing... I would hope. He's been rather overwhelmed, part in parcel due to my own mistakes. I would hope he's not holding onto them... It would be quite an issue for him to still be worrying about past things." She sighed, shook her head, and hoped he wasn't.

"Yes, of course. We'll wait until after the wedding. I'm sure Ethel has plans for us after that, anyway. Then, let us hope that it goes smoothly, so that Adele and I can happily return to Wyke without any regrets weighing us down."

---

"In part due to your own mistakes?" Owen cocked an eyebrow, that was new to him. "Well, I certainly hope he's not hung up on that." Surely the forged bethrothal hadn't such a negative impact on him? "Either way, we've time to decide that, I'd speak to him... but I'm sure I know Angus' stance on these options." He chuckled. Never would Angus let Cass do something that dangerous. "But yes, let's enjoy these days first."

"...I went to Sidney's home earlier, for dinner." At the awkward pause, Owen figured it was as good as any time to fill Cass in on his relationship with Sidney. At times, he swore Cass was more mature about these things than himself, it was a bit of a jealousy point. "I had a talk with her parents, interesting people. Her father is pretty appreciative of the arts." It wasn't the best description, but the dinner meeting was good. 

...In Owen's eyes.

---

"Yes, but... I'm sure you know what I mean. I hope not, as well, but it was still something cruel to do to him. I only hope he's forgiven it, and I won't bother doing something like that again." She shook her head, wondering why she'd even done it in the first place. If she was going to drop pretenses so soon, then what had been the point?

"Oh! You did, did you?" Met his parents, hmm... "Do you still think she's the right girl for you? You haven't so much as gone past kissing yet, have you? I need not remind you how progressed Adele and I are, but... Well, it does make me worry for you, brother. Then again, I've known her all my life, and you've only had a few month, at best, to get to know Sidney... Perhaps I am being too hard on you." She placed an inquisitive hand on her chin, before smiling, wryly.

"What if I told you there was another girl interested in you? One you might find more comfort in?"

---

So she was feeling guilt about that. Owen nodded, not stressing the point. It was an agreement by them, in his mind, and the young baron was in on it the whole time... but still, he wouldn't brush over his sister's feelings.

"I... no, we haven't gone past kissing, is that bad?" Owen's gaze fell down, a bit uncomfortable by the topic brought. Was he really doing a bad job in maintaining that relationship? "If it were her decision, we'd already have gone past that still in Wyke, probably before you and Adele. I thought it was going too fast, so I said no." It couldn't get much more awkward to the prince than talking about this. "Sidney is... she is a beautiful woman, I won't lie, and I do like her person and company, but she's often wishing to take things a step further. I see it in her eyes." He sighed, looking down. "I don't want to blame her, but that side of her can be intimidating." Was something wrong with him? Another man in his stead would likely have no issue with that...

"What?" Then came the suggestion, out of nowhere. What was going on in Cass' mind about this? "More comfort? What do you mean, sister?"

---

"I don't suppose it's a bad thing, if Sidney's still fine with it... Ahaha, no no, let's not play the 'who went first' game. I won't go into details for Adele's sake, but I can assure you, there's no possible way that you and Sidney could have done something before us... Leave it at that." Even Cass blushed for a moment, but not out of embarrassment. It was quite the pleasant memory.

"Then either do something, or... Well, have you considered Claire much?" Cass paused to see any reaction in Owen's eyes. "She's quite interested in you. Regrets that she never had much time to speak with you in Wyke... But, I mean, the Benett girl and the prince, really, who would imagine that? You were always busy with Father and his orders, Claire was busy being taught... And by the time she had a moment to speak with you, Sidney was stuck to your arm. How crushing." Cass sighed, when she put it that way it really was terrible, wasn't it?

"All I'm saying is that... If you're unwilling to go further with Sidney, despite how obvious you say it is that she wishes to, perhaps it's time to stop stringing her around and see if someone else fits you better."

---

"W-well, I certainly don't mean to fight over who went first. As I said, we didn't do anything." Owen shook his head, deciding to cut the topic right there. If Cass was confident about it, then... good for her? Or something. "So there's no way it could have... yeah." He shrugged, forcing the subject past them.

"I--Claire?" The prince blinked, almost incredulous at the way his sister had put it. "No... that can't be right, really? She's --she's just interested in books, right? We have talked more often since after the Dettard campaign, I trust her with vial information. She never struck me as the type to..." It was hard for the prince to accept it, placing a hand on his forehead. "She never says a thing... goodness, I hugged her once and she almost froze, it can't be. She's heartbroken?" That was a bit much to take all of a sudden.

---

"Whoa, slow down brother. I never said she was heartbroken... I was simply referring to the situation, you know? There would be no way for her to approach you with Sidney to earnestly pushing her agenda... And, froze up, you say? Well, she said she liked you, but I didn't know it was quite that severe. Do you think it's too little too late? This is your life, after all. I'd just prefer you be as happy as possible."

---

"O-oh. Well, you made it sound pretty bad..." Owen pressed an excuse, calming down. "Well, it was a simple hug, but she seemed to freeze for a moment, I thought it was because she wasn't used to these things. Claire always did seem more familiar with her books than with people." That was probably still the case, then.

"What do I think? I don't... I don't know, Cass. Wouldn't that be a bad thing to do?" He lowered his head in embarrassment, clasping his hands. "Sorry, I'm just not a natural about these things, like you are..."

---

"Gods, I'm not a natural. I got lucky. I ended up finding the one person I could spend the rest of my life with. You're still struggling to find that... And honestly, if Sidney's making bedroom eyes at you on every occasion and you're not following through, that does worry me. Perhaps she's the right person for you, and you haven't warmed up to her yet, or perhaps she isn't and some princely obligation is keeping you attached. I hope it's not even close to the latter. Such pain would wound even me."

Cass shook her head. "I don't know if it's quite that bad a thing, Owen. If you choose, to, would you be spending time with Clair romantically, or simply seeing if you matched well with her? What comes past that is tears and issues, if you feel something, but... I do not know where to turn, there. Breaking the heart of someone else, for your own happiness... I..." No, she did know how that felt, although it was such a new feeling, she couldn't describe it.

"I any case, I would prefer you be with someone that makes you happy, rather than being with someone to make them happy. Marriage is fairly absolute... I won't be making eyes at any girls once I slip that ring onto Adele's finger, you know."

---

"I certainly hope it's just a case of me not having warmed up yet..." Owen confessed, "I don't want to break her heart, and it makes me upset that I'm not entirely comfortable yet." He looked up at his sister, taking her words carefully. What would I give to have that luck...

"I... I see..." Owen was deep in thought, still hesitant about the whole thing. "I don't know what's the right choice here, you're right that marriage... is pretty much absolute, or it causes problems. Don't we know what happened to father, a brother he never knew." He sighed, shaking his head at the memories that flashed back. "I suppose I should think about this while there's still time... still, are you sure about Claire? Seems a bit hard to imagine her... just thinking about these things."

---

"I know I've spoken to her about you, and she said she was interested... If nothing else, that's more than I would ever expect from her. You said it yourself, she's quite, she likes books. To speak of liking anyone would be more than anyone would see coming... But here you are. You can ask her yourself, if you don't believe me... Ahh, s-sorry. For getting us on this tangent. You came to ask me how I was doing, and I've likely ruined your evening. What a mistake."

---

Owen was silent, deep in thought as his sister talked of Claire's interest. "I see. Well, that's really surprising, but it's hard to say when I barely know her that well." It wasn't a prospect better than Sidney as it stood, but now he knew of Claire's feeling. Did he hold interest back at Claire? That he was struggling to decide, no different than his predicament with Sidney. "I could give her the time of the day, if you have any ideas, sister... we just haven't talked much more than business." It was what it was.

"Don't blame yourself for this, sister. I've been trying to make things work with Sidney... but maybe I lack some soul-searching. Maybe I just need to go out and figure out... what I want in a woman, I guess." That was a way to put it. Not that it'd sound any less terrible to Sidney, especially with the frustration Owen gives her. "Let's just... keep this from Sidney. Okay?"

But I have to make a decision, eventually. I am my father's son, but I am not him.

---

"If you say so... I will admit, I... I am partial to you finding someone other than her. First meetings aside, seeing you so stuck on things makes me feel like you aren't enjoying it. Perhaps I, again, have been moving too fast, but I wish for you to be as happy as I am... Maybe it's guilt for taking away the one woman you may have ever truly loved, but even so, I... I wish for you to feel as comfortable as I do. Ugh, I'm just going in circles..."

Cass sighed, flopping back onto the bed, hand on her face. "I will... I'd hate to hurt her, though you choosing someone else will indeed hurt her, in the end... I suppose the only way to keep her happy would be to pick her, but again, I... I worry, you do it with obligation. Aside from your moment with that Emmet, you haven't exactly been decisive on things. This could be your most important decision..."

---

"You're right, choosing who to spend the rest of your life is an important decision, isn't it?" Owen had calmed himself down more, taking a seat and breathing deep, he couldn't get more stressed if he tried. "I, I do need to be more decisive, yes."

"I'll keep giving Sidney chances, as well, but I want... something that runs deeper. We've barely had the chance to enjoy ourselves lately without the fact that I'm stalling things rearing up its head. I can't enjoy our time together with that in mind." He bit his lip, some realizations coming to mind. "I guess it's because we never experienced a close friendship before, like Adele and I? She's a lovely woman, but all I've ever really enjoyed with Sidney was hearing her sing, and then share a dance. I... wish we could spend more innocent time together." His left foot tapped the stone floor, Owen was coping to speak from a place of discomfort, gaze rising to his sister. "Don't... don't feel guilt about Adele. If there's a person I can accept losing her to, it's you, sister. Maybe I've been trying to see more of her in other women... that's just plain wrong, isn't it?" The prince sighed, lowering his head.

---

"More innocent... While it's rather clear she's searching for further, hmm..." Cass didn't quite know what to say to that. She'd been cheating; all of her innocent time spent with Adele was when they were growing up. Things hadn't gotten serious until recently, but it made sense to her. They'd had their laughs, their smiles, their silly moments. And upon realizing how she felt, Cass wished for something else... Luckily, Adele seemed to as well, since she was going along with things.

"I will try, but I can't help the feeling that your life would be far easier without this decision weighing on you. Though, I suppose, guilty as I feel, I can't exactly blame myself. Ahh, how frustrating-- and look, now I'm making you doubt things! No no, none of that. There's nothing wrong with looking for what you want in other women. As long as you aren't looking for another Adele, isn't looking for traits you appreciate important? I can't imagine I would be happy to be with someone I didn't enjoy. Please, brother."

---

"Hah, hahaha..." Though his laughter was weak, something about being chastised for his doubts felt uplifting. "Yes, I'm sorry. I should really stop overthinking things... and please, no doubting yourself either, if you're going to be telling me that. You've almost married Angus --now, go share your love with Adele without regrets, or are you saying that you want to give her back to me?" It wasn't really giving back, at all, but it helped enforce the point. After all he's helped her with being able to profess her love for Adele, doubts would be a disservice at this point.

"Sooner or later, I'd need a talk like this. I'm glad it was with you, sister." Returning to a more serious tone, Owen seemed genuinely content with the way it cleared his mind, even if just a little more. "I'll try to be more decisive, when the time is right."

---

"I will-- and I won't be giving her to anyone. She's mine, and I intend to keep it that way~ Now... If you truly believe you're going to be decisive, then promise me you'll at least consider Claire, just a bit? Of course, take care to explain things to Sidney, but... Ahh, how frustrating... I trust you, Owen. Was there anything else you wanted to talk about? Any more amazing news, bad news, news of the sort?" It seemed that no matter what, relationships would end up popping back up for them.

---

"A, Alright, I'll consider Claire. You should give her a push, though, or she'll never know." There was no point in getting into more detail than that. To Claire, he was seen as very much off-limits, right? "I'll take care... I've a lot to decide as is." It would get awkward to return to this topic again and again, indeed...

"Well, that should be all my news for now. There was a noble that tried to arrange a meeting with me before Ethel, but he never showed up. Hmph." Owen was still pretty hung up on that, all things considered. "I've found a good suit and a couple pair of pants, so I should be ready for the wedding day. Would you like me to procure a buffet suitable to our guests? It is going to be small attendance, but still..."

---

Oh. "N-No, no buffet, uhm... Ahhhaha, I know we said to change subjects, but... I... M-May have already given Claire the idea." Cass gently scratched at her head, rolling over to face the wall instead of look at Owen.

---

"Oh, so no-- What?!" Owen was almost taken aback, raising an eyebrow at her sister's demeanor shift. "Cass... what did you tell her?"

---

"Th-That I didn't think you and Sidney were a good match and that she should try talking to you to see if you two get along better... Haha... I-It was when we were trying on clothes, I... Pulled her aside, a-and gave her a talk." Cass gently peeked over her shoulder at Owen, to see if he was upset.

---

Of course, Cass had to word it to Claire probably the worst way possible. "I... oh dear." Owen dropped his face on his palms, an audible sigh as he tried to regain his composure. At least he wasn't angry? "Somehow, I feel like you're trying to set us up." He chuckled softly after, though his tone didn't sound all dismissive. "That's not very nice, Cass. I'll give her a chance, but let the girl find me, alright?" That way, they'd know it wasn't just peer pressure. "Just guide her from her own insecurities, alright?"

---

"Maybe..." Was she? Probably. Whether it was due to fun, or simply her worries, she didn't quite know. Still, Owen had spoken, Cass sighing and nodding, rolling back over. "Yes, of course... But, you should go see her, first. She's always got her nose in a book, I'm afraid she'll put it off until you say something."

---

"Should I...?" Well, that'd be very forward, could Owen actually pull that off? Well, I have been in need of being more decisive, still... "I guess I owe her a visit concerning the vial anyways. I'll keep your words in mind, and tell you how it went later. Is that fine, sister?"

---

"Yes~ That sounds wonderful... Oh, but, make sure it's not just vial talks, would you? That would just be dreadful to get a report on... I have faith in you, brother~"

---

Chuckling again, Owen stood up from his seat. Somehow, his sister's usual demeanor was prone to get him in high spirits, no matter the subject. "Alright, alright." Owen nodded, "I'll do that... now, that's all I have to say today, unfortunately." After a more formal half-bow, Owen turned his back to his sister, making way for the door. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Sweet dreams, sister."

---

"I hope you have a wonderful chat with Claire~ Don't be afraid to kiss her!" Cass flopped as Owen walked out, sighing. It almost felt dreadful, practically stabbing Sidney in the back... But, if their relationship was meant to last, then it would. That was all there was to it.

Sanctum (???, sometime during Owen's capture)

Spoiler

White, the endless sea of nothing that was.

Owen was confused, his memory foggy of the most recent events. There was something important... something he dearly needed to go and make sure. What was it? His heart beat faster, an anxious feeling as the vast void had him lost. How long had he walked without a thing in sight? It was hard to say... not even his footsteps made noise in that plane.

Where is everybody? He never brought himself to shout, part of him doubtful that his voice would even echo in this realm, another part fearful that it would, and it would be deafening. It only accentuated the fact he was truly alone, there. Cass, are you safe? Where are you? Wasn't your wedding soon? I hope you are safe... He hugged his own side, head hanging low, chin touching the gap between collarbones. It was disorienting to keep looking at this place.

Wind blew through the prince's hair, gently brushing his face. There was something there, something that were. Was it communicating with him? The prince gulped, wondering what he was in reach of. He lifted his head. Nothing. Wait, there was... a dot. Smaller that the head of a nail, something in the distance stared back at him. He wasn't alone. Who... who is there? He had no warranty it was friend or foe, but he had no other option that seemed more attractive than to follow it.

Owen made a dash for it, wanting to at least get a picture of this thing, whatever it was. The small dot grew bigger, but was still a black, incomprehensible speck in the white vast. Even so, he could feel the wind again, stronger. There was a feeling associated with it --cold. Whatever it was, it was not as welcoming as the lands of Angelcynn. Still, it was progress, and he was to learn all about it. I need to go back, to Cass' wedding! I have to--

There was finally form, though it did not amount to much. Trees, grass, and snow. A mix of white, green and brown. A place completely alien to the prince showed itself. There was no sun, but he could see the trees perfectly, in their full detail. As he came closer, he could see the divide where the white void ended and the snow-covered grass began. How... bizarre.

He walked into the place, a singularity of sorts in that realm... it was almost resembling of home, but different. The lack of sun meant Owen had no grasp on the passing of time --How long was he there for, really?--. Some spots of air and ground ended abruptly, irregularly, into pools of the void. Despite the whiteness, it was easy to tell apart by its lack of... form? Yes, that is how Owen would put it. The void was just the void, and this land was filled with shape. It would not be too far from home, were it not in this baffling realm. As it were, it felt like he had entered an unfinished portrait.

Sound. A clank. Not just any clank, metal hitting similar metal. It was the "smithy noise" for all those that lived near blacksmiths, and a sign of human life for Owen. Impossible! He rejected the notion at first. Men and women were capable of living here? That sounded absurd... but another time the sound was uttered. Gulping silently, Owen stared the path the sound came from with alert ears. It was sign of life, undeniably. Whether he had fears or not, it didn't change how little he had to go on at the time. That was his only option.

Walking. It has been a while since his steps started to make sound, but it only registered now in the young prince's mind. Another abnormality was the feeling of no weight on his legs, no tire. Owen could just keep on going. He'd rather not leave this place, whatever it was, though. The feeling of air or anything touching him was welcome, if only to soften how uncanny this realm was. There was life, however, no animals as far as he could see but the trees were live.

Clank. The noise again, ever louder. Owen kept walking, more trees the further he went. Things were getting denser... with a few void spots to remind him how alien this place actually was. Why am I here? The thought screamed inside Owen's mind. It merited the question. Where's Raewald? The Queen? The people? My people? Why, why am I here... Curiosity gave way to dread, the prince bracing himself. There was no living thing, after all, why could the noises be heard so audibly?

Breath. The prince caught himself after an unexpected sight. Behind a dense few rows of trees, were stairs. They spiraled, leading to a steep elevation, was that even a natural hill? Despite its look, nothing that steep could be normal. Ah... there was the clank again. So it came from further up? The prince looked up as he reached the base of the stairs. A communal house, a building that looked centuries behind him stood tall atop the hill, nothing else fitting in that narrow and steep hilltop. What a strange place, but Owen had no other guide other than the noise, and so he followed through, walking the steps of the stair.

Good Engel... how long had Owen climbed? He paused, staring out to the void. It was darkening now, a gray hue instead. He could no longer see some of the details of the place he had been prior, the snow and trees giving way to the new gray void... was the world vanishing around him. I have no other way out now... He gulped. I have to be ready... there is no choice.

Finally, the last step of stairs. Climbing himself to the hilltop, Owen could admire the rustic communal house up close. He registered a smell of old wood, almost rotten, and smoke, wondering if these were related. As long as his journey felt, he wasn't any tired himself, which gave Owen the courage to march into the house... to see no one inside. As empty as the rest of this world. There were racks of armor and swords decorating the main hall, along some wooden chairs and tables, all centuries obsolete, and designs not seen in Angelcynn at all. Clank. The noise was at its loudest, Owen could pinpoint a clear location now. A door to the east of the hall. He hesitated, taking a gulp before walking to it, and opening it up.

A man. The first thing Owen saw. A man with long facial hair, falling past his chest, wrinkles on his forehead, a tired expression... and pink hair. The man almost looked like his father at his advanced age, were it not for the sickly disposition. It was scary, the prince hesitated to speak. The man himself was working on a weapon, a curved sword of foreign appearance. All looked mostly normal, but the tools he used were clearly a thing of the past, even Owen knew that.

"Owen," The man spoke up, getting a jump of surprise from the prince. "What brings you here, my child?" Owen was lost for words, surprised at the old man's acknowledgement. "I-- who are you? How do you know me?" The prince threw his question first, staring back at the man, whom only responded with a calm stare. Slowly, the prince calmed down. "I don't know why I am here at all. What is this place?"

"This is nowhere." The man replied nonchalantly, "And I am no one... as well as your ancestor." Owen raised an eyebrow, unsure if he bought all that. The man seemed to notice it. "Your blood is rather interesting, my child. You're a descendant of brave warriors, men that conquered the vast north beyond the lands you know." The topic was odd for Owen, though it struck an old memory.

"The forefathers of House Gaffney came from foreign lands, doubtless the strongest group of people to settle in Wyke. Men that carried themselves with a sword far more dedicated than those who lived in Angelcynn before... carriers of brutal fighting techniques, like the emerald blade." Owen recalled, the tale coming back to mind. "Is this what you're talking about?" The man seemed to smile beneath his facial hair, nodding back.

"The world is full of surprises. To think we've come to be diplomats in your age. I have punched more that a few on mine." The man sighed, though his frustration seemed lower than first advertised. "Times change, it doesn't wait for you to change your mind... I learned that when my youngest son killed me, piercing my back with a sword." It was... really jarring for Owen to be talking about these things, especially with the sense of urgency ever looming.

"Can you tell me how I get back?" Owen asked, eyeing his ancestor, hopeful. "My people need me... my men, my sister."

"I can't." The man shook his head, "You can do nothing for them now. I do not know what goes on in your time, but this is not a place you can choose to leave as you wish... the world will call you back when it is your time to go." His ancestor was calm, time was clearly not of the essence for such a man. "I'd enjoy a bit of time to catch up with a relative, distant as we are. This sword has been taking an eternity to temper." Considering the context, Owen wouldn't be surprised if he meant it literally.

"What is your name?" Was Owen's first question, disgruntled at being stuck there for who knows how long. He didn't need that... what was the point? He'd definitely be late for his sister's wedding now. "What does this place want from me?"

"Not everything in the world has to have meaning." The man replied nonchalantly, "You're here because you are." Sitting down on a nearby chair, the man let the hammer he'd been working with drop, resting in a laid-back manner as he looked in Owen's eyes. "My name has been long forgotten to time... I'm afraid even I don't remember it, child. If you want stories from my time, I'm afraid you'll have to jog my memory as we go, but I'm far more interested in what you have to say." He straightened his long beard, his eyes gleaming of curiosity. "From all of my blood, men and women, I've never seen one so much like a headless chicken, for as long as you have. Tell me, why are you lost?"

"Huh?" That had been a sudden topic to ask, taking the prince aback for a moment. In himself, he had an idea of what the man meant, but if he knew the answer, he wouldn't be lost as he were. "I... I don't feel I know how to rule. I never felt it, never seemed the worth. Look at my father, and the other kings and queens-- All so experienced and aged. They know what the people want, and how to be a model. These qualities escape me... I am too young. And now, on top of that, I learn of horror after horror. Disgusting truths and terrible people, that threaten to ruin the lands and break all balance... I'm not up to par, I am much too weak to deal with this." 

"Sounds like your times ain't easy." His ancestor chuckled, leaning back on his seat. "But it's embarrassing to see one of my kin with no backbone such as you." The man's words cut through Owen like his father's, making the prince bite his lip and frown. "Everyone is due to face their own challenges, it matters not whether you believe in yourself. Sometimes you just have to go and get things done, and that will make you stronger."

Owen lifted his head, staring the man with conflict in his face. "I dealt with a challenge before. I had to banish a man I did not know was my half-brother until too late." It was a moment where Owen nearly flinched at his own memories. "Supposedly, father knew. He made me decide my half-brother's fate, but I ended up having regrets over it. My first thought was to sentence him to hanging --execute him in the least bloody way. My sister had me think twice... I don't feel like I did a job well done." It was something that chewed on his consciousness, to this day. "The more mistakes I see by my hand, the more I regret taking responsibility this early."

"That's madness!" The man protested, leaning forward on his seat. "You won't go far at all if you're like that!" He pushed himself out of his chair in a hear-beat, staring at Owen with discontent. "What, you think everybody knows what they're up to facing? Nobody has the answer for everything, son. Not you, your father, or any sage you think of tracking down for guidance. You're stopping yourself from growing a leader!" He stomped on the floor, increasingly frustrated by the prince's apologetic nature. "Even your sister-- bah, you know what? Why don't you show me what you're made of?" He picked up the sword he'd been working on, pointing at the prince. "If there's any of my blood there yet, then at least give me a run for my money."

"What? You want a fight now?" Owen was taken aback by this supposed ancestor's nature, so different from what he'd seen from his father, yet the pushiness wasn't entirely unlike. "Sir, I'd rather not--"

"Too late!" He swung his sword at Owen, forcing the prince to draw his epee, the mismatch in size meant he couldn't quite parry his foe's curved sword, but the prince was quick enough to dodge the blow and provide a counterattack that sent the man a step back. "Hah! That's what I like to see! Some bite." He swung his sword again, which Owen barely dodged, losing some footing. "Hah! Be decisive! Use that stick you call a sword for something!" The man lunged forwards, Owen sidestepping but having his doublet grazed.

"Tch, why do you--" Owen himself wasn't getting in the spirit of it... or thought he wasn't, gritting his teeth as he was pushed back. "I can't be reckless when I have the weight of so many on my shoulders! What do you think I do, just ruin their lives? If I'm not good enough, I should admit it!" Finding an opening on the man's wild attacks, Owen lunged a stab to his arm, trying to disarm the man peacefully. "Otherwise, why should I be a king."

"Hmph! That's nothing!" The hit on the man's arm was successful, but instead of dropping his weapon, the man just flinched and started swinging with renewed vigor, managing a deeper slash into Owen's doublet. "So much for that fancy thing!" Mocking, the man took a step back, a distance before either of them took the offense again. "If your chief ain't gonna do anything but sit on his ass being sorry for life, then it's better to disband the village, in my opinion." With a wave of his hand, the man had no trouble dismissing Owen's concerns. "If they thought you were a crap leader, you're gonna fall sooner or later anyways. Why not just try? You don't need all these worries, just do it!" After he's said his speech, the man charged at Owen. "Or sit out!"

"Why not just--" Owen had to react quick, almost caught off-guard by the man's charge. By instinct, he moved to counterattack low, stabbing the man before his swing was brought down. The man coughed, staggering back. "I... I am! I think I am!"

The stab wound was certainly painful, but the man seemed almost happy by it, coughing again as he staggered back to his seat, huffing as he sat down. "Nice--" He coughed hard, "Nice one! You almost killed me again! Ah, that brings me back..." He wheezed, but was certainly more satisfied to see this side from Owen. "I doubt I'm the first trying to knock some sense into you. Think you're a bad leader, kid? You haven't seen the worst of it."

"Goodness, why are you talking?" Owen sheathed his epee back, moving towards the man, wary of the wounds sustained. "You should have that checked... shouldn't you?" Owen had... no idea how the rules of that place worked, he didn't even remember taking his epee with him that morning.

"Oh, it'll heal alright." The man shrugged off Owen's concerns, placing a hand on the prince's shoulder as he got closer. "Just... find your fire, kid. I was worried you were a complete pansy for a second. You need to be passionate, show passion, or nobody will see it." He leaned, trying to give a few words of advice before collapsing against the chair, sighing. "It's a shame that sword isn't finished, though. I wanted a better show." The man smiled, appreciating the moment in a way that almost confounded the prince.

"Old man, I know what to do. I just..." Owen didn't really have an answer back, after thinking. Why was he hesitating now? There was something him that certainly wanted to speak to his mind positively. "...I just want to be a better man. Improve each day. I want to be a leader. Better than most I've heard of. Even, even better than my father..." It was surprisingly relieving to say that, for a moment.

The man snapped his fingers, growing a smile under his beard that was very easy to infer. "Excellent. That's all I wanted to hear... now I feel better again." His mannerisms calming down, the man seemed almost as if he were to sleep right there. Not only that, but Owen could notice his surroundings were losing form again... the white void was slowly taking over the room. "Heh, I guess you got that worry-wart thing from me. I really thought you were a mess, though..."

"...Is it my time to go back?" Owen assumed, staring at his surrounding with concern. It never looked good to see the world around you vanish, no matter the context. "I promise I'll... try to be less of a mess. How embarrassing that even an old man from centuries ago got worried about me." He looked back at the man, staring with a soft smile. "What is your name? Back when I asked it, you completely ignored me."

"No, it's my time to go back... I don't know if you're going to wait some more, or what. Maybe somebody else is also worrying about you." The man's voice weakened, though he didn't seem in much pain. The white void overtook the rest of the room, and even reached the man's legs, slowly fading him away, without a concern coming from him. "My name hasn't mattered in such a long time... I've forgotten, honestly. But I'm sure somebody as able as you can find it if you look." By now, the man's lower body was all but gone, looking with satisfied eyes. "Just don't lose the fire... for your own sake, child." His role done, the man quickly accepted the void, his upper body vanishing at a faster pace. "...do me a favor if you want, drop that stick of a sword for a curved one from our homeland. That one's just sad to look at! I don't know what you see in it!" Laughing at his final words, the man vanished completely, his laughter echoing through the nothing for a moment.

"...Goodbye." Owen couldn't help but feel content, as sudden and surreal as it was. Sometimes, it was easy to forget he was important, and even cared for. If I am to be king for a reason... I better make the best king I can. That was surprisingly nice, lifting the prince's spirit. He couldn't help a chuckle, after the man was gone. "I really fancy my sword, though..." Owen continued his march, hoping to find more answers... Or perhaps, he'd find a way out this time.

In the white, endless sea of nothing that was.

Owen's vision was surprised by familiar sights, starting with a fog that slowly gained more form, and the vegetation it led to... what was this? It felt familiar... Flowers, and the scent of mother. Thinks all came to be more clearly, was he back at the garden? All these feelings that assaulted him reminding of home. He truly missed home now... what would Owen give to see Wyke safe and peaceful again.

Finally, the prince caught sight of another man near him, his eyes wide in surprise. It couldn't be... "Father? Is that--" He was lost for words, listening to his father first, bringing a hand to the side of his head. "I... you were talking to Jeeves?" But he... I see. So his time really is close. It was painful to acknowledge it, even with him knowing already. To think that he might never see his father in the flesh, other than here. "I see... what timing of mine, them." He forced a smile, best as he could through the choke in his throat. It was harsh to know how that fate was unstoppable. "Yes, father. If... if you're going so soon, the least I could do as your son is be there to see your departure? Right?" Words nearly gagged in his mouth, but he didn't want to show his father such upfront sadness. "Ah, same goes for me... I, always wondered what went through your head at times, Father..."

Belial's Little Friend

"Some say that with age, one gains wisdom and maturity. Others... senility and stubbornness. In the realm of mortals, the line between the two is often rather blurred. Ah, yes... Constance. She's a devout follower of mine, long before you were even a glimmer in your father's eye." Belial mused, almost belittling in his statement about the elderly. "As fitting as it would be for you to haunt her from beyond the grave, I'm certain that you'll be able to thank her for it once you awaken. Of course, that is after you recover from your head wound, your ability to receive shovels to the face is rather admirable."

Belial let out a hearty laugh, the strange void around Alain glimmering with a deep purple light. It appeared even deities had their sources of entertainment. "However, whilst her actions may seem rather unhelpful, Constance is a key ally you may require in the near future. Her... prolonged existence has given her quite the number of experiences." Belial added, pausing as Alain spoke of Queen Ethel. "Ah yes, she's quite the piece of work. She desires to use my power for her own gain but does not wish to submit to me. I would almost be impressed with her ambition if it did not make my followers appear as dogs for hire."

Laughing again, Belial's voice resonated right through Alain. Alain could feel his centre of gravity shifting slowly, almost to the point where his own mass felt remote from his form. "It would be far less interesting if you were blindly accepting of every word I speak, Alain. It would make claiming your eternal soul much more rewarding if I were to unwrap the fingers you hold it with, one by one." 

Missing Words

"Jeeves passed through here but a few moments ago... although it may have been hours or days... I have not know time since I have arrived here." Oswald replied, somewhat confused by the strange realm both him and his son were residing in. It was almost a perfect replica of the castle's own garden, yet there was a subtle flawed nature to it that gave it away. "I'm not certain where I shall go after this." he replied solemnly, his gaze drifting to the swirling void around them. "Will I enter Engel's domain or shall I be cast away? Throughout my life, I've always desired to what benefits the people around me... getting the balance right was something I always struggled with, perhaps even something I grew worse at as I grew older. In the end, I feel like I drove everyone away trying to maintain everything."

Oswald gave a satisfied smile, shaking his head. "There is unlikely to be the time for me to explain my choices, Owen... but as you grow older, I hope you will understand why I have acted as I chose. I am glad that you are here to say farewell as my son, not as a my prince. There were times that I felt as if I had failed as a father, those moments weigh down heavier on me than any decision I made as king."

Edited by Shin

"Father..." So he understood his predicament well. In a sense, that only made the passing hurt more. "Of course, you had the best intentions in mind. I'm sure Engel will see your worth, father." Owen tried to assure him, of course, when it came to it, Owen had no guarantee of Engel's vision, nor did he understood everything that his father did in life, but he knew his father's wish for the best was sincere.

"Father, speak no more, I understand how hard it must have been, in part." It was hard to control himself, not to shed a tear, but he wanted to show his father a happy face, a content memory to remember after they could no longer see each other. "There have been places where you've failed... but you are human. I don't mean to look down on you for that. I've made my own share... probably have more to come."

He couldn't handle it, moving towards his father, trying to grab him in a hug. "It... it will be harder without you, but I will manage, alright?" He couldn't help tearing up, erratic breath, even with all the composure he mustered. "I want to prove everybody I can be a great king too, I don't-- I won't disappoint you, father..."

"Can you truly blame her, though? I've yet to bear witness to something truly spectacular. And returning here time after time seems like it will get rather tiring to the eyes, wouldn't you agree? Would that I were a King. Perhaps I would be carousing in Engel's light instead of meandering in this suffocating nothingness. Even Malaphar's domain, twisted as it is, has more character to it," he scoffed, taunting the demon.  

"Though I must say, it almost sounds like you're taking things a little personal there. I'm surprised you care so much about maintaining the image of your followers. It warms the heart," Alain said, cracking a snide smile. "But in all honesty, I'd rather be Ethel's lapdog than a lone heretic," he shrugged. "There are worse people to sell one's services to," he mused. Indeed, the Queen was perhaps the single greatest political ally he could hope to have. If being on her good side meant doing her dirty work, he was willing to oblige--at least to a point. 

"But, if you find the soul of a poor orphan boy so valuable, then you're free to try all you like. You may find yourself thoroughly cheated by the end of it all, though," he said, wincing as he struggled to maintain his composure amidst Belial's mounting influence. 

Emerald Legacy

Oswald watched Owen, a gentle smile forming on his face. "I sometimes ask myself if I really did act in a way to help everyone, or simply a way to shield myself from it all." he replied, his hand trembling at the thought of his final fate. "Owen, you are my son, not my copy. You will make mistakes of your own, some that you may regret for the rest of your days. The important thing is that you are able to move forwards. Do not be weighed down by the past."

Owen's arms passed through Oswald as he attempted to hug him, the deceased king becoming more transparent and fading from view. "You don't need to prove anything to me, Owen... I have faith that you will lead Wyke to a brighter future." Oswald's voice echoed, his figure almost complete vanished. "Whatever I have said, there hasn't been a moment where you have disappointed me, not as a prince... and especially not as a son..."

Owens arms swished through the foggy air in front of him. There was not a single trace of Oswald. He had finally departed to the great beyond.

Dark Dynamics

"The depths of the underworld are probably more entertaining for you, but eternal damnation might not quite be your cup of tea." Belial replied, echoed screams of the fallen resonating in the void. "Not that Engel is much friendlier than I, you might be better off in Malaphar's realm if you were to disobey. But that's a story for another time. I think you have other places to be. Be careful, my little orphan. You may lose your soul when you least expect it."

The void around Alain started to spin, the emptiness being replaced with a swirling purple typhoon. His head started to throb, the reality of his knock-out was returning to him. As much as Belial seemed able to prevent him from dying, he didn't show any inclination to help him out in less lethal situations.

Morning of 29th April 812

Several days had passed since the disaster which was the wedding. Tensions hadn't been properly resolved between the parties involved, although the peasants involved had been swiftly gathered and arrested over the next few days. There had been rumours of Deiran troops in eastern Myrcia, but no official reports had come through. Ethel had done much of the damage control of the wedding. Cass had been taken to the castle, giving her some much needed time to herself, and the ability to avoid the ire of the disgruntled allies she had. The wounded had been tended to and Adele had been safely relocated to a coastal village to recover - perhaps indefinitely. However, the group needed to move forwards, and use their time in Raewald as they saw fit.

The sky was grey, clouds circled overhead, the good weather they'd experienced couldn't have lasted together. Rain hadn't fallen yet, but there was a moisture in the air that almost sign posted it in the near future. The weather had put off many of the market goers, but there was still a reasonably decent crowd in the city. Guard patrols seemed tighter and more common, although there were no signs at all of the captain who had arrested Cass. There were also tales of escapes from the asylum, but nothing had been confirmed. There had been no requests for any meetings with Ethel or any of her nobles for the time being, but the chances were that Owen's group would find someone looking for them eventually.

Adele leaves the party!
Everyone is free to post!

Edited by Shin

Serge was silent as he sat alone on the outskirts of the city. Nights had been getting steadily worse for him, and the past few days hadn't been any better. No thanks to attempted suicide of his employer, nor the crazy episode the princess had. The arrest of the peasants that had interrupted the wedding made him only feel slightly better, as there was still someone that he would rather see behind bars than anywhere else. No one had been able to find Arteria ever since the wedding, though that was most likely due to the fact that he wasn't willing to send anyone looking for her, himself. Even if he did, it was likely she was either long gone, or an expert in hiding until the time was right.

Of course, he held similar feelings for Cassandra, and still felt angry that she could go on without any sort of punishment. She had ordered the deaths of not only Hans and Lars, but Sebastian as well, which thankfully the serial twin didn't follow through with. Then again, the potential death of her lover was arguably punishment enough, but that didn't mean he had to like or accept what was given to her in the end.

Serge's ears caught a conversation between some guards. Once again, they were talking about the possibility of people escaping from the asylum, as if these tense and gloomy days couldn't get any worse. The bad weather certainly wasn't helping. Regardless, it was yet another reason Serge was now carrying around his sword with him. He needed something to defend himself beyond a boot, after all. Just in case another incident happened.

Serge places the Wingclipper in the Convoy, takes out the Thunder Sword and places in inventory, equips Iron Sword.

With his employer now gone, he didn't have many reasons to stay with Owen's group beyond him having no where else to go. He wasn't eager to start up another contract, that much was true. Serge had thought it best to place the commands of the employer first, but Adele's rage had easily taught him everything wrong that could happen with such a line of thinking. Thus, he wasn't really sure what his stances on jobs were, anymore. It had all become so complicated. And all it gave him was one massive headache.

Serge had also come to recognize another thing that gave him a massive headache: a doublepost. Ever since the website Serenes Forest dot net updated, he had seen it happen to everyone. And in this time of uncertainly, he wondered if it would ever end. His money was on 'probably not.'

Edited by Dandragon

Sidney stood on her home's front balcony in the early morning, staring at the gray sky. She wasn't in as much disbelief as when she first returned to see the church, but the situation had still been difficult for her to accept. She hadn't spoken to the princess since that day, her images of two of the few people she thought of as friends shattered, though she'd still asked her father to let Adele recover in a small seaside town in their territory. Even when speaking with the others, she found herself mentally drained, lacking her normally chipper attitude.

By all rights, she was probably better off than before, because the guards seemed totally disinterested in her arrest anymore- no longer was she having to hide at every corner, fearing she would wake up to capture on any given morning. Whether or not it was a temporary measure, they had certainly had opportunities to bring her back to prison, and hadn't taken any of them. Perhaps she had Owen to thank for that, though she kept forgetting to ask him about it. She looked towards the ground. Maybe I should visit him. Even for the prospect of that, she wasn't as cheerful as usual- not that she regretted her decision to chase after him when he was captured, but with how well Freya handled the situation, maybe she wasn't really necessary and could've helped at the church... The two men upstairs probably would've done something if I hadn't shown up. Whether or not that was true was impossible to tell. She just wished everything had turned out so much better.

Shaking her head, she slid over the balcony's railings, then dropped down to the ground below. At least she'd learned that she was actually quite talented at climbing out of the whole fiasco, if nothing else was gained. She walked down Gateway Avenue silently, making her way to the castle, which was under heavy patrol. "Hello, it's me again... I'm with Prince Owen, can I see him?" If they declined to let her through for whatever reason, maybe she could talk to Claire or Freya... she didn't feel that she had a lot of normal company left.

Sidney goes to the castle. Also she switches the Salve for her Lockpick

Edited by Reinfleche

The episode at the church had been a complete disaster. She had tried to help things but only made things worse. Alain in particular had suffered directly because of her actions. She didn't even have time to tend to his injuries after the guards showed up. She gave a few days for him to recover before visiting to apologise. In the meantime she visited the family of the citizen who had died at the church and tried to go to the asylum to inquire what Ezekiel of all people was doing there but they refused her entry due to some recent trouble.

Getting into the castle a second time wasn't difficult. The guard already knew her. She made her way to the apartment she had met Alain in before. As she grew closer she remember that sick girl, Emily, and began to question wether they were even his quarters to begin with. Well at least I can check up on the girl and see how she's doing. Someone might be able to point me in the right direction afterwards.

Edited by Jotari

Holy Passenger

The sky overhead didn't do much to improve Serge's mood, the threat of rain still looming overhead. There wasn't a single gap in the mass of clouds, the sun behind them was firmly filtered by them. The only thing of note was a bird flying from over the horizon. A bird that seemed to be getting larger and closer rather rapidly. As it grew nearer, it became clear that it wasn't a bird at all - it was a wyvern. A wyvern carrying a pair in golden attire - the colours of Deiran military. The beast let out a fatigued grown, descending rapidly from the sky. As it landed, its first rider, in full golden plate and helm, fell from its back. The rider lay on the ground, their arm reaching out as they groaned.

"Eric... " their voice echoed, followed by a pained gasp. "Engel has given us the passage to freedom..."

The other rider was a young man, wearing a long golden coat. It would be hard to believe that either were not part of Deiran forces. He was a relatively young man, probably more youthful than Serge although perhaps a tad taller. The city guards hadn't quite noticed the descent of the wyvern, most likely to their detriment. Serge certainly had some time to deal with these two strangers.

Eric is free to post!

Easy Access

The guards at the door looked at Sidney for a few moments, one of the pair rather conflicted. "Ain't she the girl that we were meant to arrest?" he asked, scratching his head as his eyes drifted to his companion. His partner wasn't terribly impressed, he raised his hand as if he wanted to smack the other over the head.

"You idiot, the Queen said that we don't need to worry about that! Listen to briefing, moron." he snapped, gesturing for Sidney to pass through the gates. "I don't pretend to understand what royals and nobles want to do, I just listen to what they tell me to get on with. Prince Owen's probably inside, just don't go causing any mischief!"

Edited by Shin

Serge could barely make out what was in the sky before it came landing down in front of his face. Of all the things that he had expected from this day, a Deiran wyvern was not on that list, nor was someone wearing a big, golden coat. It was then the rider fell right off of the beast and onto the ground, an arm outstretched. Serge blinked, slow to process what just happened. Passage to freedom? Just what the heck was that supposed to mean? When the guards didn't seem to move, Serge decided to check out the two strangers and see what the hell was going on. He got off of his leaning position and jogged over to the riders and their beast, his hand ready to move to his sword if he needed to. The Deiran's were still at war with Wyke, after all.

"What's happening over here? In case you hadn't noticed, this place isn't Deira."

Sidney was briefly concerned that she would have to run already, but the second guard brought those fears to rest rather quickly. "Well, thank you, sirs. And don't worry, I've put all that mischief behind me! I'll be on my best behavior in the castle, promise." She waltzed through the gates, heading towards Owen's room- she'd been there before, but the normal route was different- at least it was one that she could take now. In any case, the confirmation that the orders came from the Queen herself was reassuring.

She hesitated as she brought her hand up to knocked on the door. She had hardly spoken with Owen after the impromptu rescue mission, and there were plenty of difficult things to address after both that and the disastrous outcome of the wedding... discussions that were hardly likely to be very pleasant. Perhaps that was why she was unusually apprehensive about visiting him, but they would probably have to speak of such things at some point no matter what- delaying wouldn't let either of them forget.

With a sigh, she combed her fingers through her hair and adjusted her necklace before knocking on the door. "Prince Owen? It's me... are you available?"

Edited by Reinfleche

Today looked grim. That was all Eric could think as he woke up and set off with Accolon and his wyvern, Unil, just like he had done for the past...well, he couldn't remember. The two had been running for days, every one of which just as dangerous. Every sky just as foreboding. Every wound just as fatal. So he couldn't help but feel skeptical as he and his compatriot approached Raewald. No doubt they wouldn't take kindly to Deirans in full armor. But still, it was better than the situation behind them...no way anyone would take them back after their little stunt.

Eric didn't know whether or not they were still being hunted, or even if they were being hunted in the first place. He assumed so; a few arrows had come their way while they made their...escape. He hadn't the time to look back and check whether there were more. He could always hope not, but a subtle paranoia never refused to erase the idea. However, the thought seemed to leave his mind as a city started to come into view. Finally, civilization! he thought, dreaming of how all the pain suffered over these weeks would be forgotten as they settled into a new place...until all those thoughts were dashed away when Unil let out a cry and stopped flying. Then came the descent. Eric didn't know how to fly. All he could do was shout at the exhausted wyvern and hope for the best...Or, more accurately, brace for the worst. And the worst came, in the form of the ground. He was tossed to the ground and landed with a thud.

He opened his eyes not seconds later to see his friend, arm extended, gasping out a few words that were barely audible over Eric's ringing ears. However, Eric understood the shakiness. The pain in his tone. Crap, it must've been...well, he didn't know. Could be old wounds reopening, could be...were they shot down? But it was something. Something that wasn't getting thrown off a wyvern. "Doesn't matter what passage we've been given if you can't walk through it!" Eric shouted at his friend, who really didn't deserve to be shouted at, "Now get up so we can get you to a healer or...something!" Staggering to his feet, Eric tried to get Accolon off the ground. No point. In full plate, he was too heavy. And just to make matters worse...here came some...whoever the hell this guy was, saying something about this not being Deira. "He's HURT, that's what's happening! And I'm well aware, thank you very much! Now WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!" Eric yelled, going into full-blown panic mode.