Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Cass was quick to notice his distress. Owen forced a smile, weak as it was, an attempt to reassure her. "It was... sometimes I wondered if maybe I wasn't the one with pure blood. If he is our kin, that means he was the firstborn." He let the statement sink a bit, standing in awkward silence. "I finally managed it during the wedding though... I think. It might have been a feverish illusion. I did receive a few too many shovels to my forehead." He wasn't about to tell his sister that his spare pants shone an emerald tint and whirred through the air. That just... sounded ludicrous.

"If... I don't know." Owen sighed, "It'd please me to never see it again, if I'm being honest. I don't think Gewaint likes me either... Do you like him, Cass?" He couldn't hold back that curiosity, seeing his sword had a positive impact on her at all. "If you really wish to, however, you should." It was always like this, anyways. Always meant to be. Owen had committed to making Cass happy, ever since her days as a frustrated, inhibited princess in Castle Hull, a silent pact he'd never mean to tell her. He couldn't bear to take something away from her if it did have meaning.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh! You did? Really!? That's wonderful! I-- er, ahem, I-I mean, I'm, so happy for you, brother. Uhm..." What an embarrassing outburst... Cass calmed herself, coughing to clear her throat, the surprise smile remaining a bit longer. "Definitely not some illusion. First born or third born, if I can do it, so can you. That's what I think, at least... Chin up, Owen! We'll practice it together." It was so refreshing to hear that Owen had managed this. He'd gotten so downtrodden when Cass had managed to somewhat use it. Surely this would cheer him up some.

"I see... Gewaint? I... I do. I'm sorry. Should I not? I spoke with him in private and at length before he left Wyke. I truly... I felt quite happy, having more family. Another brother to dote on me and to dote on. You've always been so kind to me, I imagine... If things had been different... Ahh, wishful thinking. Still, it does remind me a great deal of him, so... I-If, you're sure. But, please be sure. You are ever so kind to me, Owen, I fear that I might abuse that at times. Promise me you won't spoil me more than I deserve...?" He seemed to distressed by the weapon, that he would allow her it now, it was... Strange. Not something she could read into, but still strange.

A small glance to the side made Cass realize that there was still quite a crowd surround them, a nervous giggle leaving her. "S-Sorry! My apologies, I got... Quite wrapped up in speaking to my brother. Breakfast, food, yes. Hello!" she began, taking steps towards the bar, gentle hands placed on the counter. "I would like whatever my brother is having, please. If that would be alright."

Magical Cram School (Bullying Claire)

It hadn't been a peaceful night's sleep, for either Cass or Claire. As much as the mage tried to ignore them, quiet sobs came from the princess all through the night - even in her dreams. Poor thing... All Claire could do was wait for sleep to claim her, and she only got a few hours in before the sun crept up. She'd made do with less in the past though, when her studies had kept her awake well into early hours of the morning. She could handle it.

After both of them were properly awake, Claire sat Cass down and began improvising the lesson. "Okay. So I want you to tell me what your understanding of magic is." She paused for a moment, then shook her head. "Actually, scratch that. How exactly do you use your staves?" The way Claire saw it, she could figure out what Cass already knew about them, and apply it to tomes. It seemed simple enough.

What horrible nightmares. Cass hadn't expected her sleep to be undisturbed, but these were like nothing she'd ever suffered through. She woke up just as tired as she had been before going to sleep. She hadn't ever slept worse than this, thinking about it. Was this how it was going to be, from now on? Would they only last a while, before becoming a rarity? She didn't know. It wasn't welcoming to think about it, either. Just focus on learning... And getting to know Claire. It'll make things a bit better, surely.

"Uh..." Now that they were awake and starting, Cass didn't quite know a thing about regular magic. Saw on the edge of the bed, she shook her head, before Claire clarified. "Oh, staves... Uhm. Well, you focus on a spell you know, and use the staff to amplify it. Sometimes they work without knowing the spell... Thanks, warp staff, but, they work perfectly if you do. So I was taught the things to go along with the implements, and went from there. My aptitude for magic has never been great, though... So perhaps this is a fruitless endeavor."

"We won't know until we try." Claire shrugged. "Alright, so: spells are a bit different from staves. Ideally, you still want to have the knowledge from the tome, but it's less... erm..." Hmm... "It's more about faith, I suppose. Not necessarily to do with faith, most tomes are limited to nature, but you need a lot of confidence in yourself." 

"Think about when you swing a sword. If you doubt yourself, you'll swing too slowly and the enemy will evade it, or you won't strike with enough force. Does that make sense?"

"Confidence and believing in nature, huh..." Cass stared at the floor, wondering if she'd ever dealt with something like that. She didn't quite know, thinking about it. Staves had just, happened, eventually. They took a bit, but her magic finally mustered itself through the gem and worked on proper wounds, not plants.

"Sh-Should I give it a try? See where I can get right now?" That didn't sound very confident, did it... Well, she wasn't, but she had to try to see if she could get the hang of it at some point. "Or would it be better to study before I try that? I don't exactly know what sort of repercussions there are for these sorts of magical things... Staves never hurt me when they didn't work. Though, the warp staff did explode..."

Maybe nature wasn't the right word... uh... Claire held back a sigh. This whole teaching thing was more difficult than she'd expected. "Magic exists all around us. Similar to a staff, a tome is an easier way to channel the power properly, but your average tome channels power from the natural world around you and turns them into something tangible. Something that you can use."

Cass' last comment made her chuckle a bit, though. "There were a lot of small instances like that, while I was learning. I think trying this quickly would be a bit reckless, but erm... I'm not sure what to suggest. Um..." They'd learned at the academy from lighting candles and the like, but Cass didn't sound too sure of it herself... it probably wasn't going to end too well if she let her try it. "Sorry, give me a minute..."

"I assumed as much, though I've never tried to draw from nature, and the like. Only from myself. It's that far away from staves? Goodness... Well, I'll still try! No point in getting discouraged before I make any attempt at anything. Even reading, er, studying tomes or the like. Whatever you think is best... Though, you... Don't know what to suggest."

Cass bit her lip, watching Claire think. Was this something too difficult to teach? Was she asking for too much? "I-It's alright if you can't figure something out... It's not like I'd really want to teach me, right now, after all of that, s-so... Perhaps it'd be best to just learn swords with Owen."

"Sorry, it's hard to say what we should be doing. Back in the academy, we spent years before even doing something as simple as lighting a candle. Perhaps that was excessive, but working out what to cut while still keeping it stable and safe is, well, difficult." It was a totally different beast. There as also the matter of Cass having experience with staves, which likely helped, but how much?

It didn't help that most of didn't have a lot of the basic theory books with her. She'd far outgrown them, by this point, and this was a complication she hadn't foreseen. After a moment's hesitation, Claire quickly went to grab one of the candles, and placed it on front of Cass. "It might be easier if you just try it out, and then I can give you pointers. Just try and light it; no pressure." She'd help Decima out a little by pointing out some holes in her technique, so maybe this route would mean she could do more to help Cass? It was surely worth a shot.

"Light a candle, you say. I suppose that would be better trial than any to see if I'm at all cut out for these sorts of things. It can't be that much different than staves, surely... And I've been taught those my entire life." Keeping it safe and stable was probably a good idea. Even a seasoned mage like Claire could make mistakes... L-Like at the wedding. Cass shivered. Would she be able to do that to someone else? Ever? Make them feel what she did... Maybe...

Claire seemed to pause a moment, snagging a candle and placing it in front of Cass. She stared at it a moment, confused, before Claire explained... And she was to do this without a tome? "I... Okay. I'll try. Nature... Focus." What did Nature mean, for this sort of thing? In the room, there were no trees, no forest... Just the air around them. And... It was a painful memory, so recent and stuck in her mind. Could she use it?

She flinched, not enjoying the sensation tingling through her back. Thinking about it brought back the feeling, but... "C-Come on, you..." It's just fire. It's hot, powerful, destructive, turn the air, into-- There was a faint hint of smoke, before the candle lit, small and unassuming. Cass flinched her hand back, grabbing at it. "O-Ow... Oh. Oh!" Her hand had gotten hot. Quite hot. Almost a burning feeling, similar to the other day, but perhaps those were the dangers of casting magic without a conduit. Still... A success was a success, one that could only be improved by proper theory and more practice.

"B-But I don't think I should be casting magic by tome, a-any time soon... Ahaha... Even that much managed to hurt."

Claire was quite surprised to see the small glimmer of a flame materialise on the candlestick, even if Cass' didn't seem quite as pleased about it. "You aren't too hurt, are you?" She really hoped that the princess hadn't managed to end up with another burn scar under her watch. ...Or in general, really. 

"That's impressive, actually. I didn't think you would grasp it so quickly." Especially when her instruction had been... fairly lackluster, at least in Claire's opinion. Although it had worked, so that was something. "It's small, but that's how everything starts. Tomes are a little trickier - to utilise them properly, you need to learn and understand the contents, but they're generally a lot more reliable than freehand magic. Both draw power from the world around us, but tomes help to add consistency to larger scale spells. Without them, there's fairly significant risk."

Even the allegedly successful Inferno spell she'd managed to cast had its drawbacks, even if it wasn't visible to anyone else present. If something like that happened in the middle of another battle, Claire could be in some serious trouble - it wasn't unthinkable that she would've been unable to cast another spell with her head in that state.

"N-No, I'm alright... My palm just got a bit hot, for a moment. Impressive, though? I... Thank you. It... I, er... I-I just tried to remember how things felt, when... S-Sorry. When you hit me with that spell... I suppose it's good fuel for these sorts of things, as painful as it was." How embarrassing. Cass didn't quite want to admit that, but it was good fuel for these things... Right? Probably.

"So, I suppose that reading is my next objective? What spell should I start with? Or... Is there more theory to go over? I'm fine with either... And thank you, Claire. You're a fairly alright teacher. I wasn't exactly told much else other than the theory when I had staves forced at me. Practical examples are pretty good!" Cass smiled, nodding at the candle, watching the flame. So that's a magical flame... Or is it real fire, just empowered through magic?

"This is sort of fun..."

"Is that so? Ah..." Claire's face fell after the reminder of the fire. I suppose it's good that something positive came out of that, but... She still felt guilty for it. "Well, that might make sense, actually. Having something to motivate you and strive towards, even if isn't... pleasant." Claire trailed off. Being emotionally charged had certainly made her produce stronger spells in the past, but she really wasn't communicating that very well. And she didn't want to go further down that rabbit hole, either.

"I think a Fire spell would probably be a good place to start." Claire finally decided. "If you already have the aptitude to conjure a flame, then you have some of the foundation down already. You'll need to get a pretty firm grasp on the contents, though. Tomes, they, refine your spells, I guess. They add consistency, so if your understanding isn't good enough you won't get the results you're after."

Fairly alright, huh? I guess I'll take that. "I'm glad you think that way. I'm moooostly coming up with this on the spot, so uh... if you don't get anything, I'll try and explain it again differently." She couldn't imagine trying to teach an entire class like this, although she supposed the teachers at the academy had a lot less to worry about, and more time to prepare. Marking papers would be much easier than dealing with all of these problems we have. Hah...

"Oh, no no, please don't feel bad... If I can at least use it for something good, then that's all we should take away from it, alright? It's... Not something to dwell on. Don't beat yourself up over it." Perhaps Cass had gone too far too quickly, but getting the expected response from Claire after what she'd said, she didn't want to leave the mage with any lingering feelings.

"I suppose I should start reading, then. Do you have suitable material on hand? The sooner I start, the less we'll have to wait to see if I can muster more than a candle fire." Cass was fairly eager to see what sort of things Claire was burying herself in every day. Surely they were mildly interesting since she was reading them so often. Or they were dry and she was just that driven... Hopefully it was the former.

"And well, even if you were a bad teacher, you're stilI nice to look at, so who am I to complain?" Cass smiled and stuck out her tongue, giving Claire a cheeky giggle. "Always better when the instructor is a looker, I'm sure you'll agree."

"Uh, yeah. Right." Claire was just going to have to give it her best effort to shrug it off. There's nothing that can be done about it now, anyway...

Turning her attention to the task of hand, Claire produced her Fire tome, placing in front of Cass. "Honestly, I wish I still had the basic theory books with me. They're back home, but it's not like I need them anymore." It would probably be more helpful for Cass, as well as just a recap for Claire while she was trying to figure out what to teach.

The last comment the princess made took her by surprise - although maybe it shouldn't have, knowing Cass... "Um, I don't know. All of my tutors were really old..." And didn't that seem uh, kind of improper? ...Where was she even going with this? It's gonna be like this all week, huh... Woohoo... Even in her head, that sounded sarcastic.

"Thank you," she said, as she was handed the tome, flipping it open, and... Getting immediately confused. There was a lot of terminology and references that she didn't understand. It was likely going to be a lot of questions regarding simple things until she finally got the hang of some of them. Maybe there were explanations within the tome or something... A glossary or similar.

"Oh, how unfortunate. My main instructor was an old woman, but some of the maids around the castle were quite attractive. Do you ever think about things like that? Er, not who's attractive, but if your own attractions to people are in part because of who you grew up around... I suppose it wouldn't be that odd, and it would definitely explain me, if that were the case. The only man I ever spent considerable time around was Owen, hah."

"I mean, I don't really pay too much attention to appearances to begin with. I don't really notice very much until I've talked with them a few times..." She'd never really felt anything growing up, and very little at the academy. Even now, she hadn't really thought about it until she had that strange dream about Cass - not that she would ever admit it. "What about Graham? I thought you'd spent a lot of time with him as well."

"That sounds like you. Have to read someone like a book a bit, before getting to know if you like them or not. Heheh, that's kind of funny, really. I was always drawn to appearances first, personalities later... Do you think that's shallow of me? If I take their appearance first... But care about their personality later? I wonder."

Cass had forgotten about Graham, admittedly. Or rather, forced herself to. Seeing him like she had before the wedding had soured things, or so she felt they had. "I suppose I did spend a lot of time with him, though I don't really... He was around. He just never spoke much. A quiet soul, while I was training with Adele, or speaking with Owen. It was almost as though he was an outcast... Or, more, didn't know how to become a part of things. How sad..."

"I don't really know, isn't that just normal? I probably just don't pay enough attention to people, honestly." Claire had lived most of her life with a one-track mind - goals came first, and people afterwards. It had only really changed once she returned to Wyke, and she was still adjusting.

"So that's how he was? Huh..." It was strange to think that someone could grow up so quietly while surrounded by people like Cass, without being dragged into anything. "Maybe he just prefered the quiet or something." Claire shrugged. She didn't know him at all, so it was hard to say.

"Not enough attention, hm... And, yes, that was Graham. I spoke to him recently, he must have been through a lot of training. He spoke rather clearly, and about a lot. It was impressive to see him progress so well. But I suppose it's been a long time since I spoke to him."

Unfortunately for the Herman, Cass was thinking about other things. "So... What do you think of me, Claire?" Locking eyes with the mage, Cass tilted her head just a tad, hoping to find some sort of answer in there. "Have you paid enough attention? Or would you like some time to stare?"

"What do I think of you?" Claire frowned. "What do you... O-Oh." That last comment really didn't leave it open to interpretation. This was probably just another one of her weird dreams, fueled by everything that had happened in the last few days. Reaching behind her back, Claire quierly pinched herself, expecting to wake up back in her bed at the middle of the night.

Instead, she just made a quiet "Ah.." sound, and was forced to come to the conclusion that this was actually a conversation that was happening. It was really happening. Engel save her. "I, um, well you know..." Claire certainly didn't know. What did she think of Cass - and more importantly what was should supposed to say here? This was getting soooo awkward, and she was sure the princess was loving every moment of it.

She had no clue what to say, and the seconds ticked by as Claire became more and more aware that she should say something. "I... like your hair," She paused for a moment. "Colour?" It was a hasty addition, and one she regretted immediately. "What the heck..." she mumbled to herself, turning around to hide the embarrasment on her face from Cass. What does anything about this have to do with magic...?

"... I see..." Cass held a faint smile, looking away from things. "I'm sorry. That was an unfair question. You're not used to being around people, and... I always take advantage of your anxieties, don't I? Prodding you and asking things that embarrass you. You must've hated coming shopping, hahah..." Cass pulled a leg up, hugging her knee. It was hard to think of what to say.

"I'm sorry, Claire. You're so cute, I... I find that I can't help myself, sometimes. I know, that... Only a day ago, I was with Adele. But she's gone. And I find myself, thinking of other people... And I feel terrible for it. That it's not fair to her for me to move on so quickly, but thinking about her only hurts... Ahaha. I'm, really sorry. You're supposed to be teaching me magic, not... Not listening to this." Cass wiped tears that were starting, shaking her head.

"Sorry... We can go back to the tome."

Claire wasn't quite sure what to say to all of that. It wasn't like she really had any history of being in a similar situation to Cass, after all, but even the first part was... difficult to respond to. "I didn't hate it..." She offered a small shrug. "It's just, hard I suppose, I never really know how to respond to that kind of stuff." It's difficult to confront your shortcomings. Hah...

Still, Cass seemed to be getting upset, and they were really off-topic, by this point. "Maybe you should take a break." she suggested. "None of it will stay in your head if you're not feeling too great."

"Maybe... Tell me, Claire, am I a nuisance? Should I go back to my room? I fear this will not be an easy time for you, should I remain... Learning is wonderful, and spending time with you makes me happy. But I can't shove the wedding's events under the rug and pretend I am fine... Are you sure you can deal with me? Because... I can go, at any time."

She didn't want to go, of course. But seeing Claire so awkward and out of sorts, there was no other option but to offer it. If it meant staying alone in her room for the time being, so be it... The mind is a foolish and confusing creature... One that I wish I knew how to control.

"You're not a nuisance, Cass." Claire's response came quickly, as she shook her head. Maybe a bit hard to deal with at times, but that's not the point. "It might be difficult, but I'll get used to it. I've been through worse. You should be worrying more about yourself..." The mage hesitated, not really sure what else to say.

"I know you aren't fine. Nobody expects you to be, after yesterday. If you need to, well, cry or anything, I won't say anything. Well, maybe Owen will know if he asks," she added hastily. "But otherwise, my lips are sealed." She would have to be a fairly horrible friend in order to leave Cass in a state like this, even if there wasn't much she could do for her.

"Even if you've dealt with worse, I... A-Alright." It would do little good to argue with Claire about this. As much as she wanted to, if Claire said she was fine with things, then she was fine. Cass wasn't, but it wasn't her comfort that was the issue. With a sigh, she collapsed back onto the bed.

"I just wish to be fine. I have no frame of reference for how long these episodes last. Or if they last your whole life. It's too much to think about, really... I wish I could forget it all. Or just, forget the bad parts. Not the remorse. Just... Owe people for my mistakes, and not feel like I can barely move." And here you are, delving further into things with this poor girl. She doesn't deserve it.

"Sorry. We... We should talk about something else. Anything else..."

"It all depends on you, really. On how quickly you can adjust to this being the new 'normal'. Once you do, it starts to hurt less, and you can start moving forwards again." At least, that had been the case for Claire. Their circumstances had been different, but she couldn't see why it wouldn't apply to Cass as well, as long as everything went alright.

"Something else? Well erm, alright... hm..." What could they talk about? Nothing really came to her head that didn't really involve the rest of their party, which seemed like a sore subject right now. She'd really been away for far too long, so she didn't- actually, that could work maybe? "Hey, what did you do while you were growing up?" Claire asked. "I never really got to know you until recently, so..." Maybe thinking of happier times would cheer Cass up. Claire didn't have an awful lot of stories to tell about herself, either way.

Depends on me... Then how quickly is too quickly, me? I don't know the answer. At the least, Claire was trying to change subjects, as much as it was difficult for her. You're going so far out of your way to make me feel better. I wish I knew why. Slowly sitting back up, Cass thought about the question. It brought back some happier times with Adele, which definitely stung, but there was more than just that.

Cass managed a half smile, a small chuckle leaving her lips. "I was a disobedient brat when I was growing up. But that doesn't mean it was all bad. I had a lot of fun... Sneaking out of my room, sometimes out of the castle. Either down to the barracks, or into the town. People didn't pay much attention to it back then, it was just a phase, let the princess have her fun. I suppose it didn't become a problem for people until I started taking up arms and properly training with Angus."

She managed another small laugh, sighing. "It was nice to see the look on Hogan's face when I lifted up one of the training axes and took a proper stance. I don't think he'd ever expected the princess to want to do something like that. Then again, he never did treat me like a princess... Sometimes I wonder what I wanted, really. The station was lovely, but the treatment I got for it wasn't. But you can't have both, can you? I suppose if I could do away with this title, I would. What do you think, Claire? Would you ever want to live as a commoner?"

"Somehow, none of that surprises me." Claire smirked. It all sounded like something Cass would do. "I was pretty different. There really wasn't anything near my home that enticed me to go out, except for watching my father's training. And when I did, he would always scold me for sneaking out and 'worrying my mother'. Hah..." Like that would ever happen.

"If I was a commoner though? Erm, I was actually fairly close to being one; my father was the first in my family to receive any kind of title, and it's so small that I don't think things would be too drastically different." She'd never really thought about it. "I think I'd rather keep things as it is. I don't really feel restricted by my status at all, so being without it would only mean that I would have less opportunities. At least, I think so..."

"A true bookworm, through and through. At least we share that much; I would always get scolded for sneaking out by my father, though it was because it 'wasn't ladylike', or something rubbish like that." So I still can have fun. How nice... I should hold onto this as best as I can. Cass found herself smiling, and she played it down, not sure if the expression was one she deserved at the moment. Still, Claire talking about something so normal was nice.

"Such a small title, perhaps that is what I'd like. Station, but without all of these expectations. Had I not left with Owen, I expect my father would've attempted to pair me off with some foreign nobility for politics' sake." The thought made her laugh, proper. Even Adele had gotten terrible suitors, some she'd told Cass about. "Ahh... Maybe I'll be lucky enough to end up with someone with such a small title as yours. Then I can discard this formality and let Owen be the true ruler he deserves to be."

"I don't know if I would call myself ladylike, either. Not that I'm boyish, but..." Well, Claire's discomfort and awkwardness in social situations was hardly expected of a lady of her station. "Well, that doesn't matter. I've never had to deal with the strange suitors problem; my mother either never cared or couldn't find anyone to her liking." Or, they simply didn't have enough status to get what she wanted. What would her options have even been, some outcast noble's son from a family with more children than they knew what to do with? 

...I'm just describing Angus, aren't I? Claire visibly shuddered. Thankfully not. "But uh, I don't think Owen would want to marry you off for power. He enjoys having you around, doesn't he? I don't think he would want to send away his only family to some foreign nobody, unless it was your choice."

"What a lucky girl. Ah, well... I don't suppose Owen will send me away. He does appreciate having me around, for what reasons I can't discern. Perhaps he just likes to speak with someone he knows won't judge him, or treat him differently... He's not the prince, or king, to me, just... Owen. So I suppose I bring him some form of comfort that he can't find elsewhere." What a nice thought. That she had such a purpose, despite everything. I can still be his sister.

"My choice... Hmm. Well, I'd prefer to stay in Wyke, if possible. And I do mean what I say about someone of lower status... Hah." Cass scoffed, gently picking up the fire tome and laying down with it, eyes idly scanning the page. "Maybe I'll end up with you, once all these messes are over. The perfect fit. Wouldn't that be nice..."

Did she actually... Uh... There had been implications earlier in their conversation, but now this? What the heck...? Claire looked away sheepishly. "I think I'll probably die of embarrassment well before we get there..." 

"Then let's hope I have it in me to kill you, so to speak." Was she just playing around, or did she mean it? Cass was smiling a bit, but her small talk had trailed off, actually taking time to read properly.

ggbPY4hFSrCEPjqnD0eQ3Q.png

"Y-You, what the... um, I erm, ah, yaermm..." Claire clasped her hand over her mouth, halting the stream of largely meaningless noises. So much for playing it cool - or at least, not getting TOO flustered. She hurried to her feet and moved to the other side of the room, suddenly finding something that was surely very interesting to look at out of the window.

Yep. It was totally fooling her.

Claire breathed out. "I cannot believe you just said that..." she muttered, completely and utterly bamboozled by what she'd heard. "What the heck is with you...?" Did she dare ask? You can't just say things like that, seriously... It was very fortunate, she realised, that Cass knew nothing of her strange dream. She would never hear the end of it if the princess knew.

"Hmmm? Of course I just said it... Is there a problem? I've been calling you cute this whole time, I supposed I was making myself obvious. I'm just... Not ready, to move on. So words are all I have to express myself. Though, if they make you this flustered, I pale to think at what a hug would do." Cass slowly flipped a page, having read what should could understand. Asking Claire for advice right now would likely do little good.

"Of course, if I'm disgusting you, then you're free to tell me. I'll stop."

Claire watched Cass carefully, waiting for her laugh it off as a joke, or add 'Just kidding!' after messing with her for a bit. It took a few seconds for the reality to sink in. "I thought that was just you teasing me, all this time." She chanced a glance towards the the desk, spotted Cass with her head in a book as if she hadn't just completely dropped an inferno on her and then jerked away to look back out of the window again.

"I... don't know what to say." Claire laughed nervously. Truly, she was a master of stating the obvious. "Is that Ceirch down there...? I really should check on him." She was not a particularly good actor. She tried to walk calmly to the doorway, but she was definitely a touch faster than one would expect. "I need to think about this. I'll be back um, at some point." It was her room, after all. Even if Claire felt very strange in there now.

"I'm not one to lie when I tease, Claire... And I've definitely been teasing you." The running away seemed to fit what Claire had said of herself, but it didn't bother Cass. In fact, it made her smile. "It's good to know you aren't turned off by what I've said. Have fun checking on Nelon. I'm sure he'll appreciate the visit... I'll be here, becoming acquainted with your tome. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions by the time you get back."

"Uh, yeah. Right." Claire didn't look back as she left the room for the solace of the corridor, waiting to round a corner before stopping to place her head in her hand. "What have I gotten myself into...?"

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Wyverns weren't something Serge had much experience with. The only time he had come into contact with them was when fighting the Reliants, and they had always been out for blood. So, with this beast looking at him, hissing at him, Serge had to stand up and back off a little, his hands up and open to show that he wasn't reaching for anything, not that he was sure a wyvern could understand that.

The words that the rider said before falling unconscious were a reminder to Serge of an item he still carried with him. Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled out the crest of the Reliants that Niko had given him before he left. It didn't take much thinking about their words before coming to the conclusion that this person was part of the Reliants, themselves. And that presented a problem for him. No doubt their leader, Laudine, still had a grudge against Serge for his poor choices of not only taking up the name of the Reliants but admitting to taking part in the murder of her own brother. And no doubt that she had informed everyone within the Reliants to be on the lookout for him. So, if this rider recognized him...

The low growl of the wyvern made him look back up, and Serge realized he had much more immediate problems on hand, like not pissing off a creature several times the size of him.

Well, at least that was something positive, his sister believed him. Perhaps it wasn't so far-fetched that Owen managed it... "Maybe, maybe I did do it." It was a bit of a comforting thought, at least. "In that case... I hope I can do it again. It'd be a shame to let all that potential go to waste."  It was a skill his ancestors seemed to take high pride in, and certainly felt good to feel capable of. Would that make him a powerful warrior? The thought was amusing, but a good look at his peers and past battles reminded him of the caliber he had to deal with. Even if he was becoming a capable duelist, war was something much above that. A capable duelist, hmm...

"Gewaint... he made you happy, huh?" Owen would lie if he said that didn't surprise him. Gewaint didn't look any interesting to the prince, a man caught up in ambition plots. "I think he hates me, if I'm being honest." Even after saving him from the dungeon, Gewaint never once met eyes with Owen. Granted, Owen did order him to be hanged before, but Gewaint was a traitor to the crown then. "... I don't want to take that from you, if it gives you good memories. I can make an effort not to think too hard on it. I'm the older brother, after all." He forced a smile. Supressing memories wasn't a hard thing for him to do... not that it was a good thing, but still. "I... I am sure. Perhaps, things could have been different. Perhaps." Owen didn't know what to say further. He couldn't really promise to not spoil his sister. He wanted to make up for the low points of her life, serve as a lift when her duty as a princess restrained her, when her role in nobility denied her power, and made her sad. Cassandra was growing, but there was no harm in giving her what she wanted, was there?

"--Ah. I'm having pancakes. Are you fine with some?" Owen spoke up, just making sure Cassandra hadn't ordered a dish she did not feel like eating that morning.

"Well, that's certainly nice to hear you've been fine." Sidney gave a nod towards the guard, as the Gaffney siblings talked of their brother and his sword, which she was not entirely unfamiliar with, but had little to comment on since she'd never spoken to the man herself. Food, on the other hand, was something she understood more, patting Cass on the shoulder as she approached the counter. "I'm sure you'll like them even if you've never had pancakes, Cass, they're rather delightful. And don't worry, we're your friends here, princess."

Eric listened intently to the rich-looking man's response. He would start to open his mouth to speak after each sentence, but was always preempted by the next one. At the end, however...he had mixed feelings. He was talking to not only someone of higher station than himself, but someone from the country his own invaded. He was fearful...grateful...he almost would have been offended, if this...Baron Esclabor didn't have a point about Deira's actions.

"H-hey, I'm not a fan of what Deira is up to, either." Eric finally spoke, trying to walk alongside his prospective assistance, "Kind of the reason me and Accolon are here in the first place. We got sick of what they were doing and...left. They, uh, didn't take too kindly to our exit. Hence the...needing a healer bit." His heart sank into his stomach thinking of compensation. How could he tell this man he didn't have anything to offer without getting him to leave? Well, he didn't have NOTHING. There was the sword on his belt and the clothes on his back...He'd deal with that when the time came. For now, the best he could do was get the assistance he needed.

The mention of guards put another sinking feeling in Eric's stomach. Not only did they exist, but he had left Accolon with both a complete stranger and a wyvern whose last feeding time was unknown to him...Unil had been Accolon's responsibility. He started walking a little faster, with a little more of earlier's panic in his step. He still took care not to walk too far ahead, though.

"Gewaint?" The name was unfamiliar to Freya, but based on the context, she understood it was their brother- the one who they had been sent to stop previous to her assignment? It explains the familiar make of the blade. Still, she felt somewhat awkward during the siblings' discussion as she understood little of it, sitting at a table near Nelon and Morta instead. "If the oatmeal bothers you so much, Lady Morta, I wouldn't mind it much either." She hardly had much to spend, and she really didn't understand how the idea was so upsetting to her, anyway.

"With lemon, right Owen? Don't worry, either of you, I'm perfectly fine with them. And... Thank you, Sidney. I'm not going to lie, I... I was expecting most all of you to be quite disgusted with me. If I'm wrong then, that pleases me greatly." She gave a cautious look over at Morta and Nelon, wondering if either of them were about to say anything to the contrary. She wouldn't have been surprised if they did, but it wasn't something she wanted to hear. But, pancakes... Sounds good, right now. Light, fluffy, warm... Like a sunny Sunday morning.

Claire waved back at Charlotte's greeting, smiling slightly. "Peace and quiet hardly seems to exist for us, huh?" The mage had brought it upon herself she supposed, by allowing Cass to stick around in her room, but it was certainly a departure from what she'd been used to. "Hm..." The noise was barely audible over the buzz of chatter filling the room. I guess I'm getting more used to all of this stuff, huh... 

Surely, with how introverted she'd been before, this was a good thing. She wasn't ready to survive Nona or anything like that, but she was still feeling a lot more relaxed as she chimed into the conversation. "Don't you want to try the pancakes, Ceirch?" Claire tilted her head slightly. Wasn't that the main thing he'd been eating on their entire way here? It was strange to think that he wouldn't be tired of it. 

Diabolical Following

"Yeah, he ain't been himself since that wedding. Don't blame him to be honest, but if I see him, I'll let him know he can speak to yer." Lars replied, the mages all taking interest in Alain's statement of Emily's identity. There were a few mutters between the group, Jannes having to hush them once more.

"Quite right, Morganna has spoken at great length about what she had observed, as well as his appearance." Jannes replied, nodding his head. There were some fearful looks coming from his followers, but the lead tutor didn't seem too troubled by Alain's reply. "Her Majesty is right to have faith in the college, we have an entire division dedicated to researching him and his magic. I would love to divulge details, but we have a little something to keep him in check. Now, it would be wonderful if we could see Lady Edion, we've all been rather eager to meet her."

Oatrageous

Morta took her spoon, putting it into her own mouth almost defiantly. "I never said I wasn't going to eat it." she replied, fuming as she began tackling her breakfast. She looked over at Claire, looking at the nervous greeting with her usual foul mood. "Baron Nelon and I have been training together, he still has to take it easy. Malaphar nearly killed him, hopefully his back will recover soon. Stupid wizard thinks he can go around with his magic..."

Nelon looked at Cass cautiously, his brow furrowed in focus for a few brief moments. However, he soon returned to the conversation, as if it prevent Morta from going too far with her complaints. "Good morning, Claire, I hope you have been keeping well, and the same for you, Princess. Thank you for your concern, Prince Owen, good day to you. Morta and I have been performing drills. It's much better, it often doesn't even cause me pain." he replied, laughing nervously as he began to process the number of women around him. Morta still had her eyes on Claire, saying nothing as she continued eating.

"Gertrude, a bowl of oatmeal for the strong girl over here! And three helpings of pancakes! We've got a lovely little group here today! I hope you don't get too tired cooking!" Mr Copperbottom called out, rather chuffed with the number of customers. There was another groan from the kitchen, echoing from inside. "I hope they're not from Myrcia, those people always leave the plates dirty... it's my job to cook, not to clean up after those animals. That man from 800 was the worst."

Mr Copperbottom chuckled, amused by his wife's antics. "Oh, Gertrude. One person makes a bit of a mess and she hasn't stopped complaining since. I don't have the heart to tell her that they were from Wyke... and a woman." he mused, gesturing towards the tables. "Make yourselves comfortable, the food might cost money but comfort is free in here."

Nelon's eyes set on Cass' sword, moving his gaze away from it as the talk of Dettard began. Morta didn't reply to Freya, only giving a similar glare that she'd given Claire. "Oh? Miss Freya? It would be wonderful for someone else to try this cottage's oatmeal, I beleive you will thoroughly enjoy it." Nelon asked, Claire soon catching his attention. "I cannot say that I am particularly fond of pancakes, I've always found that oatmeal makes a suitable breakfast... I've always tried to share it whenever possible."

Unkind Kindness

"Looks like we're on the same page then, makes me feel less inclined to kick you in the face." Esclabor replied, continuing towards the gate. Shaggy followed obediently, almost like a dog. Before he got too far, Esclabor looked back at Eric, his grin having faded. "Tell me, what did they do? It must have been bad for you to do a runner, you don't look that morally upstanding. Get moving, if your friend bleeds out before you get back, you'll only have yourself to blame. I've got some medicine, and worst comes to worst I can send Shagsworth over here to go grab one of my healing allies."

Dinner Time

Unil approached Serge, sniffing the air in front of him. The wyvern towered over him, its reptilian features even more unnerving up close. "I think he's definitely hungry, his owner probably didn't feed him recently." Nona pondered, stepping to Serge's side and towards it. "I remember Lady Enidraine saying that wyverns would relax if you stroke them on the snout... or maybe that made them angry, it's hard to remember so long ago... especially after we had so many drinks."

Something to keep him in check? Constance was very curious but held her tongue. Demanding an answer now would get them no where. She held back and continued to listen to what Alain had to say.

"Yes, pancakes with-- wait..." The prince flinched lightly at the realization. How did Cassandra figure that out? Owen hadn't even touched the additions! "Um, yes, with lemon and sugar on the side, nothing too heavy for a breakfast... I didn't know you liked that." How weird. Nonetheless, the others seemed a bit cautious of their talk of Gewaint, so it was a good thing to keep topics changed. Morta seemed to outright ignore his greeting. Ouch. Perhaps I'll have better luck with her siblings... It certainly didn't feel nice to be ignored, as a crown prince!

"Sometimes it surprises me how much you adore oatmeal, but I suppose it is a healthy way to start the day. I pray for your swift recovery." Owen nodded, not intent on insulting the baron's tastes. It was a bit of a miracle that they had all survived... the less Owen thought about it, the best for his own mood. "If you are both training, then that means at least some strength has come back to you. That's great news." He turned to glance at Claire, remembering how she'd been there to see the whole thing as well. I suppose it eases her heart as well...

Then why would you whine so much? Freya didn't ask that aloud, but really, Morta's complaints seemed like such nonsense. Ceirch's outlook was both more positive and sensible. "Nothing wrong with some good oatmeal to start off the day, especially if you recommend it so, Baron Nelon." Even just on the journey, his affinity for oatmeal was something she'd learned fairly quickly. Copperbottom's wife's ramblings provided for moments of amusement as she awaited the food in question, though a mention by the old man of money brought her to pause. Hmm... I seem to lack that still, don't I... It would be awkward to bring up immediately, so she opted not to until breakfast was underway.

Claire would have been lying if she hadn't expected a greeting along those lines from Morta. She shifted slightly as Malaphar and Ceirch's wounds were mentioned, trying to puzzle out exactly what Morta's extended glare meant. Does she know? She's not saying anything about it, though... If Ceirch had told Morta, then perhaps he'd asked the girl not to blame her? 

Or she could be looking far too closely into things and be missing out on the food. "I'm glad you're getting better." she nodded, hesitating for a moment before adding her order. "I'd like pancakes as well, please." If she left it for too long, she might just end up being the only one without breakfast. That would be kind of lame...

Still, what Ceirch was saying about the oatmeal kind of made sense - especially with how he was trying to regain his strength. "I see, then. It sounds like you enjoy it anyway, with that kind of recommendation." Unless he was just being polite in order to not ruffle the feathers of the cottage owners, that is. Morta didn't seem too keen, but then again, Claire had never seen her especially happy. That's not my problem, though. Hopefully the pancakes were nice.

Edited by SB.

Eric once again heard the question of why exactly he was here...a question he had often asked himself as of late. He still sensed a bit of hostility in Baron Esclabor's voice, and of course, he started to react to the extra comment first. "Hey, what's that supp-" Eric stopped midsentence...again. "Er, I, uh, mean...We weren't exactly too happy with the invasion of Myrcia. I mean, all I can really do is swing a sword around, so I had work, but...was there really a reason for the damn thing? All the...pointless slaughter. It just didn't sit right. And one day...we had enough of it, I guess." It once again wasn't a lie. It was the main justification for Accolon, and Eric did agree. However, what actually got Eric to leave was a bit more...personal. And he wasn't about to tell anyone that he left an entire country mainly because he couldn't stand the guy he was working for.

"Sorry, sorry," Cass giggled out, enjoying Owen's surprise. "It was something I remember you liking when we were younger... It seems I was right in assuming you still do. And don't worry, our palates are rather close together. I can't imagine I won't enjoy it. I'll just add some syrup if I find it too bland, simple as that." Well, that aside, Morta and Nelon hadn't cried foul at her existence, just yet. Perhaps things were more okay than she'd assumed... But she wasn't about to get too comfortable. Nelon was already terrified of women, let alone herself. She decided to take a seat away from him, looking at Claire with a smile.

"Come, sit down. We might as well make ourselves comfortable, if we're going to be eating."

Foolish Service

Nelon smiled, gently resting his spoon against the edge of his bowl. "Some find my dedication to oatmeal rather amusing, but it has served me well for twenty five years. I thank you for your kindness, Prince Owen. I hope I can return to your service soon, I am almost ashamed to be at the sidelines and unable to aid you." Nelon replied, bowing his head. "Once my strength has returned, I shall follow every order both yourself and Princess Cassandra have for me."

The loyal speech was interrupted by a forced cough from a man who had just approached the table. He was a tall thin man with a sour expression across his face. His long black hair was tied back and his beard neaty trimmed. Carrying a heavily loaded tray, he set in down on the table, looking no happier from the act. "Four servings of pancakes and a large bowl of oatmeal... enjoy." he mumbled, walking away hastily and muttering under his breath. "A mage as intelligent as myself... stuck serving for a pair of old crackpots..."

"Who are you calling a crackpot, you poncy little jester?" Mrs Copperbottom shouted from the kitchen. "If you're so clever, cast a spell and make your debts disappear. You're lucky we don't just turn you in to the guards."

The man hurried back to the kitchen, without so much as saying a word. Nelon smiled, pleased with Freya's choice of breakfast. "Perhaps we would be able to spar again soon, Miss Freya?" Nelon suggested. "I recall your spear being particularly potent back in Wyke, I am certain you've developed greatly during our time in Magonsaete."

"Baron Nelon's nearly back to full strength. With him back on form, Prince Owen won't have any problems making plans for taking back Wyke." Morta interjected, almost answering Claire for Nelon. "He's far better at keeping his soldiers safe than Baron Esclabor, if he were fighting at the wedding, nobody would have been knocked out... or tried to get themselves killed." 

Breakfast with a side of Serge

"I wouldn't expect someone like you to have much of a part in planning things, you're essentially just a disposable blade for Deira to throw at us." Esclabor replied, the trio passing through the gates. Esclabor laughed as Eric mentioned his distaste for death. "If you don't like watching people die, you picked the wrong career. People die in war, and you can't save everyone. Even when you try to, you end up getting someone else killed instead... but I have to commend the sentiment, maybe you're not quite as bad as your Engel worshipping fanatical friends."

They had at last reunited with Serge and Accolon. Esclabor took issue with Serge's presence, looking at the man as if he were a particularly smelly cowpat, but the presence of Nona bothered him nearly as much. "Nona... Serge. I should have figured someone from the group would get mixed up in this. I found this little trooper running around town crying for help, but it looks like you've beaten me to it." he announced, looking at Accolon on the ground. Esclabor grinned, his eyes slowly shifting to Serge. "You seem to have quite the taste for crippled women, going to pop her arms off too, Molenli?"

Nona approached Unil, patting the beast on the snout. The wyvern's wings lowered, resting its body on the ground. "Oh, so patting it on the snout does make it happy, I was almost certain it would tried to eat somebody... I think they like the taste of men better than women." Nona pondered, patting Unil on the head. "I don't think Serge could do a very good job if he didn't have both of his legs..."

Nona's uncertainty towards the correct process of calming a wyvern, especially a hungry one, did not help his increasingly dangerous situation, and Serge could only stand there as the scaly beast sniffed the air around him. His mind told him to start running as fast as his legs could carry him, and while he desperately wanted to, his body just would not move. Was it fear that held him in place, as if he were a statue, or was there some level of curiosity that kept him, waiting to see if the wyvern would back off or snap him like a twig in between its jaws? Serge wasn't able to tell between the two.

Behind him, Serge heard the sound of someone approaching. But his hopes of being saved were dashed as the voice of Esclabor met his ears. Of all the people to come see his predicament, the baron was the worst possible, especially after the absolute lengths he had gone to spite him ever since the wedding. And today was certainly no different as he heard him make a rather crude remark on how Serge preferred women, most likely to get a rise out of him, if not someone else. But, Serge was too focused on the problem in front of him, and how willing it was to eat him as a snack.

At last, someone, namely Nona, stepped forward, and the wyvern seemed to calm. Serge gave out a heavy sigh of relief, thankful that he could breath again as he let his arms down to his sides. Whatever kept him still was now gone, and his body finally moved to his command once more. He turned back to see the baron, and saw both the man in the golden jacket that had run off before and the lance wielding mercenary from that had been in the Colosseum tournament.

"I'm not here to pop anything, Esclabor." He said, holding back anything vile he might have to say. "I was just here from the beginning, and Nona showed up and healed the rider with her staff." There wasn't much point to explaining anything to the baron. Serge knew he was most likely going to twist the situation to make Serge look bad as best he could, but Serge was more concerned with how he looked to the companion of the rider that he had just tried to help.

Eric continued to follow the Baron, listening to what he had to say. Unfortunately, what he had to say was...less than complimentary. Eric could stand being called stupid or unskilled. But insignificant? That was personal. VERY personal. Forcing back an angry retort, he continued to swallow his pride and follow nicely.

At last, they had passed the gates and arrived at Accolon's location. Unil was huddled above its rider, and another person had joined the man from earlier. A purple-haired woman with...a healing staff? Did that mean?...Listening to the words of the crowd around him confirmed it. This...Serge fellow, assuming he was applying the names right, had gotten help. Eric was extremely relieved, but at the same time...he had run into the street like a raving lunatic and been insulted, what, six times, for nothing. He felt...awkward. But mostly useless...On the positive side, he wouldn't have to deal with trying to compensate Baron Esclabor.

"Wow..." Eric finally stammered, blushing slightly out of awkwardness, "Heh, I guess you're a lot better at handling stressful situations than me. I couldn't...Er, I can't thank you enough. You helped out a complete stranger, and...I haven't known Accolon long, but he...he's really one of the only people in the last year to really be my friend. If it weren't for him, I'd probably be dead right now. I...wouldn't have ever forgiven myself if he died. I really owe you...Both of you." He nodded to...Serge and the woman who he presumed was Nona, but feeling that wasn't expressive enough, offered a slight bow...which he quickly regretted doing and straightened himself.

That's all you have to say? A little... something? Engel have mercy, an entire division and the best you can tell me is you've come up with a little something? I can come up with a dozen little somethings in under an hour! 

""Another time then, I suppose," Alain replied, biting back his agitation. "Now, if you would kindly step inside here," he said, directing Jannes and his entourage into Emily's chambers. "Don't expect too much--she's a bit child like in her demeanor following her... accident. I'm sure you're aware of the circumstances by now," he said, opening the door.  

"Excuse me Emily, I've brought a few guests who would like to speak with you if you don't mind."

Constance refrained from entering the room. "I've said what I needed to say" she told them. "I'll be off now." It would not bode well if the girl let slip something she shouldn't upon seeing me. These scholars might think differently of Alain if they know where his true allegiance lies.

Twenty five years? That's dedication, huh... She chuckled softly. Somehow, a revelation like that about Ceirch didn't surprise Claire in the slightest. He definitely seemed like that kind of person. Aside from that, the food arrived fairly quickly, despite the squabbling of the staff.

The mage wasn't quite sure if Morta was talking to her, at her or just ranting at anyone who would listen. "Right, yeah..." She didn't doubt that Ceirch was more capable that Esclabor, but she wasn't sure if he would have really changed anything at the altar. I kind of hope not, anyway. That would only make me feel worse. 

Claire bit her lip, before finally paying attention to the arrival of food. It was as much an excuse to escape Morta as it was a meal, and it was a relief to finally sink into her seat next to Cass. "Phew..." was the only thing she offered to the conversation before tucking in; it was slightly draining conversing with someone who seemed to just passively despise you.

Sidney couldn't help but laugh at Cass's prediction of what Owen ordered. "Sibling bonds, hmm? It seems like you underestimated Cass's recollection, Owen." She took one of the plates with the lemon and her own with strawberries, handing the prince his once they were seated again. "Well well, don't these just look delicious?" She wondered who the man who had served them was- what the old woman had said implied he was some sort of criminal, but she didn't really recognize him. I guess just because I was in jail doesn't mean I know every lowlife in Raewald, nor do I really aspire to. Contemplating could wait, anyway, the food was more appealing, and it did indeed taste quite good once she took a bite. "Mm. What a fortunate coincidence we all visited somewhere so nice."

Cass smiled as the food was put down, but couldn't help feeling that Morta's last comment had been about her. Perhaps it was about Owen, or Alain, they'd been hurt during the altercation... But Cass had done something truly stupid, and everyone had seen it. She bit back a sigh, trying to go back to smiling as Claire sat next to her. "I hope your food is good, Claire. I haven't had breakfast like this in quite a long time, you know? Rustic and homely. It's quite pleasant. What of you? Was breakfast like this for you, in your county?" Cass took a bite, smiling at the subtle tastes, quite pleased with Owen's choice of food.

New Friends... and Esclabor

"Popping something would be a little rude, Serge... especially with decent company." Nona mused, only half listening to the squabble. Unil's wings folded back, the wyvern calmed by whatever means Nona had employed. Accolon appeared to be more at ease, their breathing had become less laboured. "Your friend should be stable, but she probably needs to rest for a little. Healed wounds can open up again, and it's messy when they do."

She turned to Eric, giving him a friendly smile. "It's nothing at all, I'm sure Baron Esclabor would have come to fetch me if he couldn't handle it himself, we are good friends after all." Nona replied, Esclabor's face going pale as she spoke. She stood herself up, walking back to join the conversation. "Even if you are from Deira, it would be awful to let someone die. Maybe you can buy me a drink to make up for it later?"

Esclabor muttered something under his breath, something about a dozen drinks. Shaggy turned his head to look at Serge, his vacant expression remaining as empty as always. It wasn't clear if he were even aware of what was happening around him, let alone what he thought of it. "Now that you're not running around like a headless chicken and Serge's behaving himself, how about we get you and your friend someone a little less... outside. Nona can probably sort out our scaly friend, we can probably dump your buddy at the noble wards." Esclabor added, looking down at Accolon. "Serge and Shagsworth should be strong enough to carry a person between them."

Uncanny Perception

The scholars followed Alain and Constance into Emily's room, finding her at the edge of the bed playing chess with Hans. Emily looked up slowly, her eyes gently moving between each of the strange old men in front of her. Bizarrely, it seemed like Emily had the upperhand in the game, suggesting that either Hans were disastrously bad or Emily had a calling as a continent chess champion.

"Alain? Are we having a party? They're all a little old, but I don't mind too much. As long as Claire and the Princess don't drink too much again... they started acting really weird." Emily rambled, her nonsense completely separated from reality. "What's the special ocassion?"

Jannes looked at Alain sceptically. "She's... rather eccentric. Was there such a party is this part of her madness?" he asked, his eyes drifting down to the chessboard. "Her cognition seems relatively intact, do tell me, how did she expire?"