Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Twenty five years and running... Nelon's track record was certainly uplifting, a man so loyal and reliable was a relief to the prince, to say the least. "Don't be ashamed, Baron Nelon, it is just another trial for us to overcome. I guarantee you, whenever you are able to serve your fullest, I will be relieved to have you at my side again. Until then, I will keep praying for your swift recovery." The most they could do was wait and hope for the best, now. With that, the prince let Baron Nelon enjoy the rest of his meal. It's not like Morta was going to pay any attention to him... ah well.

"Ah... how do you remember that, sister? It's been so long..." His sister's memory was surprising --that one, unfortunately, not a shared trait of the siblings--, but if she wanted the same as him, who was Owen to deny her? "Well, I hope you don't find it bland." His tastes weren't bland, were they? Nevermind that, with the food finally showing up. Sidney put his plate down, and he offered a smile as he took a seat. "A great coincidence indeed... a really nice atmosphere compared to the last few days. Thank you for the idea, Sidney." That was one thing he could agree on.

A prince and a guard. (Castle Tytila, Early Afternoon; 24th of April of 812)

Spoiler

The day after the wedding fiasco, Freya found herself in Raewald's castle for a second time, having helped bring Prince Owen back. The guards were rather obnoxious to get past, not respecting her status very much, but she had convinced them to talk to the ones who had admitted her the day before and could verify her identity.

So she was at the slightly familiar room again, knocking twice on the door to the room the Prince was being housed in. "Prince Owen? It's me, Freya- I just wanted to follow up after yesterday."

"Huh?" That had been an unexpected visitor... who was Freya again? Oh! The guard that Valter assigned to Cassandra, and that had asked Owen for an armor refitting. I've got to memorize my people's names better. Goodness. At least the voice sounded a bit familiar, which meant he was starting to do so. "A follow up after yesterday?" Right, she had been with Sidney and the others, in the attempt to rescue him. He couldn't be much more grateful to them.

After a moment, Freya could hear steps from the other side of the door, getting louder by the second. Soon, the door opened, revealing Owen and the visage of his chamber --a bit messy with books laying on the floor, but orderly and fancy in most other aspects, as expected of a castle housing royals. "Let me thank you first for your work. You might have been sent here to protect my sister, but you've gone beyond your call of duty."

Freya had been appreciative of the rooming she had for the stay, better than anywhere she'd been allowed before, but the prince's chamber impressed her even more- she was momentarily distracted, but snapped her attention back quickly enough to hear his thanks. "It was no trouble, Prince Owen. Running to find you was more difficult than knocking some sense into them, they couldn't pierce my armor at all. I think the adjustments I had made were very successful if I could maintain that level of durability and feel much quicker, so I thank you for providing those funds. Besides, I would be a poor guard if I left my own Prince to be taken away by some ruffians. I was mostly checking to see that you were still well, but I'm glad that doesn't seem to be a concern."

She couldn't help herself look over at his room again, distracted by the decor and the wealth of literature throughout it. "Do you do a lot of reading, Prince Owen? That's quite the assortment of books. Is there any type of book that is your favorite?"

"So they were, I'm glad to hear the investment was worth it." It was definitely good, with how much money he had spent recently... one of the people that went to help him was reportedly the mercenary serge had recently recruited, as well. It seems I can trust them with some decisions, despite their lack of rank. Experience wasn't the be-all end-all, sometimes. "Even so, your duty before was as a town guard... I suppose I should just be grateful."

"Ah, yes, I take some time to read books when I can. You can't rule a kingdom with a dull mind, you know? Reading has always made me feel a bit more... confident." He admitted, looking back to the pile stacked behind him. "Most of these I asked the maids here to fetch me. Most of them are copies of manuscripts by tacticians and generals over the course of Raewald's wars." Of course, it was a bit of a sudden topic to be suddenly interested on without explanation. "... From the way things are looking. We'll be fighting Deira to some level, and trying to reclaim Wyke at the same time. Hopefully Raewald's support means we can end this conflict quick."

"Well, it's important as a guard to be adaptive... something not everyone wants to put all the effort into. But, I am honored to receive your praise. Thank you, Prince Owen." She bowed her head briefly. "Hmm, very true. I wasn't taught until I was a bit older, so I like to catch up on stories I never got to know as a child. A little odd, but... sometimes I think I rushed through my childhood a bit too fast, so I, well... I'm always serious in my line of work, so everyone thinks I am all the time because guarding doesn't have a lot of off-time. But I like to read fairy tales about animals or princesses when I do get to do things I like. When I was younger, I was never really jealous about being rather poor. Now as I spend more time with nobility, I can't help but feel rather envious."

Freya cleared her throat, looking back to the prince. "A-anyway, not that any of that is terribly important. I'm sure all of that is helpful in your efforts, and of course, I'll do what I can to help too, whether or not you need me at your side or on the other front." She brushed off her shoulder as a distraction- her rambling about the past wasn't intended so much as something she continued on about once she started.

"Important for a guard to be adaptive... I see." Was it that important? Owen hadn't the brightest idea. It'd probably be good to adapt to a shift change, but a full-scale war...? Well, you'd think it's not necessary, but then the Deirans attacked... Maybe there was some merit to it, after all. 

It was pretty curious to hear the opinions of somebody as simple as Freya, sometimes. "I see... I guess most don't get jealous unless they see it up close, huh." Many of the maids and workers of Hull's castle probably could share sentiments with the guard. "...I can't say it's the same, but being recognized everywhere I go can be a bit daunting. It sure didn't help that there were men willing to sell me to an enemy kingdom just because I was a prince." That was enough to make Owen gulp. In certain ways, his life wasn't the dream many peasants longed for in their sleep.

"At ease... I believe that's how Gringolett says it." He chuckled, amused by the guard's topic change and throat clear. Owen had given her the freedom to express her opinion, but it was natural for a simple guard two months prior to feel hesitant after speaking so freely to their king-in-all-but-name, wasn't it? "It's fine to have a bit to say, every now and then, just be careful enough to read your superior's mood. Most upset people prefer to be left alone, but I digress." This wasn't really intended to be a lecture on her etiquette, anyways. "I'm in a fine mood... say, what did you think of your reassignment when you first heard of it? It certainly must have come as a surprise to a simple city guard."

"Maybe so. There are little girls out there who want to be a princess the first time they hear a story about them. There are different perils for everyone, of course... you are individually seen as very important, of course, so people recognizing you can be a downside. And yet, you might also be spared where someone else might not be so lucky." Freya scowled as she continued. "An individual without status is seen as more of a statistic than a human in the eyes of some, even those in power. They do not often think about the life of a single person, and how them coming to harm could affect others. But, I am proud to serve you, Prince Owen. You care about those who you lead... even me. Not all of nobility appreciates my attitude very much. I detest being disrespected, so sometimes I speak up about that when it may not be considered polite."

She gave a wry smile at that. "But, I am tolerated for my ability. That is what matters for a guard unless their attitude is so disruptive to detract from that ability. At first, I found it confusing when Earl Valter reassigned me in spite of the fact I had no training for the situation... maybe he wanted to be rid of me. I cannot say that I fully understand his thought process. Nonetheless, as I said, I am glad to have been given the chance. I think the opportunity has been good for me, and am pleased to have been helpful in times of need."

"Maybe so. There are little girls out there who want to be a princess the first time they hear a story about them. There are different perils for everyone, of course... you are individually seen as very important, of course, so people recognizing you can be a downside. And yet, you might also be spared where someone else might not be so lucky." Freya scowled as she continued. "An individual without status is seen as more of a statistic than a human in the eyes of some, even those in power. They do not often think about the life of a single person, and how them coming to harm could affect others. But, I am proud to serve you, Prince Owen. You care about those who you lead... even me. Not all of nobility appreciates my attitude very much. I detest being disrespected, so sometimes I speak up about that when it may not be considered polite."

She gave a wry smile at that. "But, I am tolerated for my ability. That is what matters for a guard unless their attitude is so disruptive to detract from that ability. At first, I found it confusing when Earl Valter reassigned me in spite of the fact I had no training for the situation... maybe he wanted to be rid of me. I cannot say that I fully understand his thought process. Nonetheless, as I said, I am glad to have been given the chance. I think the opportunity has been good for me, and am pleased to have been helpful in times of need."

A few of the points Freya had made were uncomfortably true, Owen raising his attention just before her scowl, taking note of her implications. "I suppose... a no-name is less likely to be spared off a gruesome death, even if the alternative is ransom." The world certainly wasn't as even as he'd expected...

"I suppose. If people feel a difference with me as a leader, I think that's all that matters. I don't want to see Wyke stagnant, nor the other kingdoms, with the tense times Angelcynn braves through." It was certainly the harshest for Myrcia, a land so unfortunate it was rare that any news concerning it reached Owen. There was no need for him to concern with its misery, when the neighboring kingdoms proved such a threat to balance. "I say. If your ability to hold a dozen of foes to a stalemate is any indicative, there's good reason to turn a deaf ear, though I didn't expect you to be one with attitude problems. You seem to know when to not speak your mind."

Well, if she was confident in her ability, and prudent behavior, there was no need to worry about her job... surely she'd be climbing through the ranks soon --wasn't she already? "To shove some guard into being my sister's hound dog just because they wanted to get rid of you? That sounds a bit far. I would take issue with Valter's logic if that were the case... then again, I wouldn't actually know." Many of the acting nobles in Wyke were older than him by a great factor, and it was very rare to learn of their private life. Save for Angus, it was rare to even speak to them often. "Not to say you haven't done a good job. Even if you think Cassandra is too wild to keep safe at all times, I do appreciate that you can keep an eye on us whenever possible."

"Well... as I said, there are tradeoffs. And I don't complain to you because you don't have many qualities that I'd want to complain about, Prince Owen," Freya started. "I don't like being looked down upon when I'm doing the best that I can by people with a superior attitude. Maybe they are more powerful because of money or status, but people who take issue with slight misuse of terms being used, or who accept no criticism, haven't earned respect from me. That's how I think it should be, anyway. Baron Esclabor was very huffy when I called him Lord- he's a good fighter, but I find his personality grating. The wealthy and nobility should be upheld to the same standards as everyone else... that's what I think. But, my opinion doesn't really matter."

She shrugged at his assessment. "Who knows? Maybe he really did think that nobody else would be as good at this job as me. Cass didn't really like the arrangement very much, but of course, even in this more general role, she is the princess, so she's a priority. I'm proud of my abilities- maybe I am the best person for it. That's tough to quantify."

"Ah, I'll take that as a compliment." Owen had a hint of a smile, it was a great deal that he wasn't seen as some neglecting noble. It meant, to some degree, that his efforts hadn't been in vain. "I see that sort of attitude really hampers the willingness of those below a noble. It's a shame that Esclabor seems to look that way for you. As a field commander, he'd have so much promise, if only he could set back his ego and aggressiveness some." He'd never really spoken to Esclabor since, but the fact the man had invaded Magon and lost his troops was anything but the orders given to him, and that left a sour taste in Owen's mouth.

"I suppose it is tough to quantify... you're an interesting one, Freya." He confessed, "Or maybe it's just that every other soldier think of themselves too little to speak to me directly, but I appreciate your opinion. It is nice to have a talk like this." It was hard to even get to talk to other nobles that weren't his sister and Claire lately... what was up with that? Maybe I'm the one that needs to find more time... "While we're here, is there any book that interests you? I can't read all of these at once, so I don't mind."

"I'm glad you're the one in charge, Prince Owen. Not so many people have a positive view of me being interesting... not a lot of people like my 'interesting' outlook. Most of the other rank and file soldiers hardly know anything about you, to be honest. I imagine if they did, they might like speaking with you do, since you're a lot more personable than the people they usually take orders from," she explained. "Maybe not to the same extent as me. But still, you're a good man, Prince Owen. Consider what I say as much of a compliment as you like... as you may have observed, I'm not the best at pretending to respect those I feel it is undue. For you, it is very much genuine."

"A book?" She looked over at the pile on the ground. "Well, I'm not much of a strategist. I know how to position myself defensively, but other than that, I don't exactly give orders. I suppose I could take one if you think it could be helpful, but I wouldn't want to just for the sake of taking one. Unless you do have any different kinds of books to that?" He did say mostly...

"Thank you very much." Owen was pleased as punch. The guard's compliment certainly bordered high flattery, but with her blunt nature, it turned out to be a pretty exquisite compliment. The prince was very fine with that. "Well, are you satisfied with the way things are to you now, as a rank and file soldier, having to always keep your wits calm among nobles you might find less favorable." That was a bit of a non-sequitur, but Owen had a keen interest in what Freya had to say about herself, what ambitions she held close to her heart.

"I have more than just books written by tactician, although they might not strike your fancy, unless you're secretly interested in 'Economic Reflections of the Current World', by Lukas Ylving." The prince shrugged, looking back at his pile. "...There is also a few romance novels I picked up... I've never been a fan before, if I'm to be honest, but..." The prince scratched the back of his head, a bit embarrassed by the admission. "I've been trying to get the fire behind a passionate relationship... maybe it'd solve my problems." 

"Am I satisfied?" It wasn't really a question Freya had expected. "I'm not sure. I don't hate my job. I think I'm rather good at being a guard, and taking strange orders can be rather irritating, but I can't say if I'd be any better at giving them if I were to get promoted, for example. I've never really done it, so I have no real idea. Different standings in life come with their own unique sets of demands, and whether or not I'd be up for those of a commander is a mystery to everyone."

The new options didn't seem that much more promising to her either, but she smirked at the prince's admission. "Pardon me if I'm being presumptuous, but a certain Raewalden noblewoman, perhaps? If you don't understand her, you could always just try and talk to her... she seems to be mostly fawning over you and lovestruck, rather than either of you finding things in common. Relationships that are only passion have a hard time going anywhere, but maybe you have plenty of things that you could bond over that you haven't explored yet. I don't think she knows what she's doing either. Don't focus on the relationship so much as focus on enjoying each other's company. Th-that's what I think, anyway." Freya cleared her throat awkwardly.

"I see... that's a very contemplative outlook from somebody of your position." No wonder she had so much trouble with her superiors. At the same time, she seemed reluctant of a promotion. "Well, don't shoot something down before you've tried it. Sometimes, higher rank will give you more work, but with it comes the power to make things the way you want it to be. It's a responsibility that many would love, but those who think little do more harm than good with it." He wondered if she was just that content with her guard duty. It couldn't be, with how many opinions she had on things.

"I... yes. A certain Raewalden noble. You might have an idea of who she is, then." Owen wasn't sure before, but that made things easier. "I guess I could talk to her... it can get a bit awkward when she's always lovestruck, in my opinion. I don't want to be rude to her, but... maybe I should be more direct about it. I just want to enjoy things at a slower pace, not worry about a relationship going too fast." He... had no idea if that sounded horrible. Hopefully not.

"Maybe so..." Freya agreed. "I don't suppose it will matter that much for some time, anyway, at least until we reclaim Wyke- there simply aren't many people here for any sort of promotion to be of much effect, whether or not you thought that best. It doesn't matter that much to me. Maybe being promoted would make people respect me more even if nothing else changed- I suppose I would appreciate that. And maybe my more pragmatic style of thought would do some good. If you thought I would be better off promoted, then I wouldn't turn it down or shirk my duties- but if not, I'll continue as I am now."

Freya nodded as Owen explained how he felt. "It's very obvious, Prince Owen, the way Lady Charlotte follows you I'd be surprised if anyone in our traveling party isn't aware. Tell her exactly that! But, you have to be sure to have a suggestion for what to be doing different instead of saying that things should be going more slowly... otherwise you'll just do the same things together but less, or something equally unhelpful. If you don't talk about it soon, you'll just both end up unhappy instead. Go to a play, or take a walk together, that sort of thing- I'm sure she'll understand."

"I see..." Owen did give her that any change in rank wouldn't be very meaningful until they got home. Freya had some doubts still, but she did give the option some thought. "Well, you hit a nail on the head there. There's only so much we'll get to do without getting back to Wyke. I don't want to think this campaign will be in vain, but there's the possibility that we will lose, even if I intend to fight my hardest." There was no point thinking on the future when it was this uncertain... for now, they'd have to focus on the present as much as possible.

"I... suppose I could tell her that. Hmm, I don't know what is there to see in Raewald, but I'll manage something." The prince nodded, looking up. He tried to make a mental note of it, taking her advice as sound. "You seem to understand these things better than me, I must say I'm embarrassed." He sported an awkward smirk after the comment, which vanished in an instant. "Have a lad waiting for you back in Wyke, mayhaps?" He threw the question out, wanting this conversation not to be entirely about himself.

"... We'll get it back." Freya crossed her arms, her voice a lot more intense than before. "We won't lose. We may not have numbers on our side, but they won't outmatch us in terms of skill. If I have to storm the Deiran throne and defeat King Olaf myself, or if you want be by your side, I won't let anyone like them keep the proud nation of Wyke under their rule."

Still, her demeanor faded rather quickly at Owen's simple question. "What? No, I... I haven't met anyone like that. Most boys would probably just think I'm boring... or not like that I'm stronger than them, and my type is narrow. But I have several siblings, so it's just something I observed. Families in the countryside tend to be bigger than those in cities, I think. I don't have numbers to back that up or anything, just from what I've seen it seems to be usually true. Plus, in small villages, you tend to know most others, so whenever any of them are in a relationship that gets known pretty quickly too. So, even though I've never been out with anyone, in a sense, I still have more experience as to how dating goes."

That was another surprise, her change of tone when it came to defending Wyke. Owen raised his head, staring into her eyes with a different type of curiosity. It wasn't something he expected, such zeal for the kingdom, when its future ruler was... I should at least hold some hope for myself, out of respect to my men's hopes. He sighed, a resigned smile in the face of Freya's conviction. "We'll get it back. No matter how hard the path." Thank you.

The fact that Freya could act flustered at all over a question so silly was amusing, putting the prince at a lighter mood. "Hah, of course, I suppose there would be some difficulties in finding an open-minded man... this isn't really my place to comment. Pardon me." Going any further in that direction would've been disastrous, even the prince had enough sense for that. "Well, at least I know where your experience comes from. I'll put your advice to use, and hope for the best."

Freya bowed her head briefly, glad that Owen seemed pleased with both her attitude and advice. "I wish only the best of fortune upon you, Prince Owen, whether it be in the battles that lie ahead of us, no matter where they may be, or... well, in more personal business for you and our Raewalden noblewoman friend." She shook her head, evidently a bit embarrassed about that still. "A-anyway, I'm glad to see that you're safe and recovered. Unless you have anything you wish to tell me, then I think my work here is done."

"Well, thank you for your words, Freya. It was an... enlightening conversation. Too bad I didn't figure out what kind of books you enjoy." The prince chuckled, making fun of the lack of productivity that one ordeal entailed, still, good information came out of it. "I appreciate it, though. No need to be embarrassed." The prince brought a hand to his chest, nodding his head briefly. "Until next time, Miss Freya."

Edited by Xinnidy

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad. It's nice to have something different to eat. She took a pause from her breakfast to consider Cass' question, although it didn't take much thinking for her to answer. "Not at all, really." She shrugged. "We never had so many people around, for one thing, and it was a much quieter affair. I think both of us preferred it that way." After her arrival back home, Claire and her mother's meals together (limited as they'd been) had for the most part been the two of them tolerating each other's presence and sharing space, more than a family meal. "Maybe I could get used to this..." she sighed, wondering if they would have the chance. Since the wedding, everything had been relatively peaceful, but trouble could crop up at a moment's notice.

All scenes end! Please discuss with me if you feel that yours should be continued in retro!

Afternoon of 4th May 812 - Tytila Castle Meeting Room

The next few days were rather unremarkable, with no news from intelligence or spies from within Wyke or Deira, all Owen's group could do was wait and recover from Cass' wedding. Through the unexpected kindness from Esclabor, Eric and Accolon had been sheltered in the noble wards. There was an uneasy peace, the calm before the storm that was the battle against Deira. The largest war the continent had ever seen was looming ahead, all it required was the first step from Deira. Mutterings through the city about the future could be heard around every corner - nobody could predict when it would all start, nor the outcome of it all.

That day had come perhaps swifter than expected. Owen and his group were all summoned to the castle by messengers, urging them to drop whatever plans they may have had to meet with Queen Ethel. It wasn't long before the entire party, and their allies, were gathered in the main hall - which was packed with Ethel's nobles and generals. There had to be approaching fifty people present at the table, and many more standing at the edges of the room. Ethel sat at the head of the table, standing shortly after spotting Owen.

"Nobles of Raewald, proud commanders of our armies and valued allies and guests. We have come together to discuss the future of Angelcynn. Deira had decided that it does not only desire to lay waste to Wyke, but that Myrcia is also within their clutches." Ethel announced, the vast hoard around her gasping and muttering among themselves. "Raewald cannot stand to let our beloved neighbours fall prey to such a power hungry nation, it is time for us to rise up and restore both peace and the dignity of the countries that Deira has plagued. With General Tarasque and Wyke's own Prince Owen, we shall march through Myrcia... liberating the captured territories and pushing througb to both defeat Deira and free Wyke."

The eyes in the room all turned to Owen, dozens of stares coming from all angles. The chatter in the crowd slowly grew louder, corcerns and worries becoming more audible. A solid thump from the table silenced them all, a petite dark haired woman in gray armour and sporting an eyepatch had risen to bring order to the room. Whispers of the name Tarasque faintly circled around Owen's group.

"Our forces match Deira's own, their conquest has spread their forces. Such greed has left their defenses with key weaknesses, weaknesses that will be their undoing. A powerful path shall be carved through Myrcia, defeating Deiran forces and freeing the native population." she barked, the pressure of her authority spreading through the room. "Once at the Deiran border, our forces shall split. Deira cannot defend both its capital and Wyke. We shall lay siege to Deira and force their surrender. Deira shall never again be allowed to tower over its neighbours, it shall remain humble from the day of its defeat."

There was a cautious applause after Tarasque's speech, the nobles not entirely comfortable with a full scale continental war. Ethel reclaimed the spotlight, casually clapping her hands together. "Well said, General Tarasque. Our campaign shall begin in the next few days. More dedicated tactical meetings shall take place, but for now I wish for you all to understand the nature of the situation." Ethel added, her eyes darting between the more panicked of the nobles. "I require cooperation from each and every person present. If you are not going to be of use, I'm certain there are people who would be more than happy to... fill in for you."

The main announcement appeared to be over, but many nobles had decided to remain for smaller discussions, there was a lot to process - and a lot of concerns to share.

The entire party is free to post! Remember, there's a lot of important people about!
Owen may make a speech if he desires!
Everyone else probably shouldn't!

Of course, time was ticking, and their respite here in Raewald was not going to be forever. Not a moment made it more urgent in his mind than the current reunion, Owen knew. His entrance gave way to Ethel's speech, followed by a woman he could only assume to be General Tarasque. The stakes were high, and it seemed that war was inevitable... which was why he needed to make a move. Of course, we're going to aid Raewald now, there's no other option, still... Not everybody seemed to fancy a war, it was especially a stark contrast for Wyke to offer the prospect, after the campaigns of its peaceful ruler. Maybe, though, that was just the push the others needed: To see that even Wyke was on board.

"Nobles of Raewald, proud commanders, and Queen Ethel." His start mirrored that of the Queen's, a good way to get the attention of the many in there. Owen took a step forward. "I thank you, first, for the inclusion during this time of conflict. As the voice of Wyke, I have much I wish to say." He moved a hand to his chest, standing tall and formal, level-headed. "Though war has never reached such a troublesome height in our history, Deira has made all moves possible to escalate it, this time. The kingdom of Wyke takes this seriously, and we have tried to contact King Olaf, many times. Unfortunately, his actions belie his paranoia and scheming, all of our messengers have failed to even contact him. Worse yet, some died. After so long wishing us in the dark, as soon as I set sail to heed Queen Ethel's message, Deira wasted no time invading my kingdom behind my back." He grit his teeth, a fact painful to accept after all of that. Perhaps he was guilty for not finding a better decision, he could've save the lives of many countrymen, no doubt, but he couldn't fault himself for Deira's sins, that strongly.

"Do not underestimate the enemy in front of you. Their cries of righteousness are mad, and their own views have been distorted by their own king." At least, that was what Owen inferred. Not many of the Deiran soldiers knew of the truth, if they were to fight with their whole might and full morale --that seemed natural--. "As much as war hurts us, King Olaf cannot be allowed to do as he pleases any longer. I plead you, for your sake and mine, the quicker we can deal with this threat, the sooner Angelcynn can have peace again."

And there Owen ended his speech, a deep breath as he closed his eyes. If that was enough to shake any doubts settling in the Raewalden nobles, he did not know. What he knew was that he was taking Ethel's side on this, as much as he could at the moment.

Edited by Xinnidy

Cass felt so... Out of place. Before this had just been intimidating, but now... Any time someone glanced her way, she felt like they were picking her out on purpose. Of course, no one had, but it didn't make things feel much better. Ethel made her speech, Cass agreed with it. Owen made him, she still agreed. Deira had stepped far outside of their boundaries as a country. Skirmishes and border fights were always going to be a thing, humans were fickle, petty creatures-- she knew that too well. But full on war... There was no excuse to ruin the lives of all innocents, on either side of things. Not that her saying that held any weight, right now... So she didn't.

Instead, she tried to reach for the hand sitting next to her, to try and find some comfort in the awkward situation... Realizing that it was Claire sitting there, not Adele. She stopped her hand, and settled it back onto her chair, trying not to look at her, and hoping she wouldn't notice. She let out a small sigh. The queen hadn't spoken to her or said a word of her failed marriage... She hoped that it stayed that way.

Claire herself had cared little for Ethel's rallying speech, being more concerned with its implications. She shifted quietly in her chair, but really it was her mind that needed to be set at ease. This was a necessary fight (for Engel's sake, they'd been invaded) but all of the details felt so unclear. Was Deira truly just in this because their king was power-mad? Or was there more to the full story? And then, there was Malaphar's influence: where did he slot into this? We really don't know anything...

She jumped in her seat slightly as Owen drummed up a speech of his own, having gotten lost in her thoughts. She agreed with what he said, of course, the but the same feeling bothered her. It was like an itch she just couldn't scratch. Claire cast her eyes downwards again, fidgeting slightly with her sleeve as she tried to make sense of it all, when she spotted a hand ease closer - and then suddenly retract.

She shot Cass a curious look, frowning slightly. What was all of that about? Was she just feeling a little nervous? Cass was forward, but Claire couldn't imagine that she would pick now of all times to try something. Instead, the mage relaxed her face and offered what she hoped was a reassuring shrug. Telling her not to worry, or something along those lines. As she half-expected someone else to get up and give a speech, she wasn't really sure it was the right place to talk.

the same post, but with every letter e replaced with "sf sucks"

Clairsf sucks hsf sucksrssf suckslf had carsf sucksd littlsf sucks for sf sucksthsf sucksl's rallying spsf suckssf sucksch, bsf sucksing morsf sucks concsf sucksrnsf sucksd with its implications. Shsf sucks shiftsf sucksd quisf suckstly in hsf sucksr chair, but rsf sucksally it was hsf sucksr mind that nsf suckssf sucksdsf sucksd to bsf sucks ssf suckst at sf sucksassf sucks. This was a nsf suckscsf sucksssary fight (for sf sucksngsf sucksl's saksf sucks, thsf sucksy'd bsf suckssf sucksn invadsf sucksd) but all of thsf sucks dsf suckstails fsf suckslt so unclsf sucksar. Was Dsf sucksira truly just in this bsf suckscaussf sucks thsf sucksir king was powsf sucksr-mad? Or was thsf sucksrsf sucks morsf sucks to thsf sucks full story? And thsf sucksn, thsf sucksrsf sucks was Malaphar's influsf sucksncsf sucks: whsf sucksrsf sucks did hsf sucks slot into this? Wsf sucks rsf sucksally don't know anything...

Shsf sucks jumpsf sucksd in hsf sucksr ssf sucksat slightly as Owsf sucksn drummsf sucksd up a spsf suckssf sucksch of his own, having gottsf sucksn lost in hsf sucksr thoughts. Shsf sucks agrsf suckssf sucksd with what hsf sucks said, of courssf sucks, thsf sucks but thsf sucks samsf sucks fsf suckssf sucksling bothsf sucksrsf sucksd hsf sucksr. It was liksf sucks an itch shsf sucks just couldn't scratch. Clairsf sucks cast hsf sucksr sf sucksysf suckss downwards again, fidgsf sucksting slightly with hsf sucksr slsf suckssf sucksvsf sucks as shsf sucks trisf sucksd to maksf sucks ssf sucksnssf sucks of it all, whsf sucksn shsf sucks spottsf sucksd a hand sf sucksassf sucks clossf sucksr - and thsf sucksn suddsf sucksnly rsf suckstract.

Shsf sucks shot Cass a curious look, frowning slightly. What was all of that about? Was shsf sucks just fsf suckssf sucksling a littlsf sucks nsf sucksrvous? Cass was forward, but Clairsf sucks couldn't imaginsf sucks that shsf sucks would pick now of all timsf suckss to try somsf sucksthing. Instsf sucksad, thsf sucks magsf sucks rsf suckslaxsf sucksd hsf sucksr facsf sucks and offsf sucksrsf sucksd what shsf sucks hopsf sucksd was a rsf sucksassuring shrug. Tsf suckslling hsf sucksr not to worry, or somsf sucksthing along thossf sucks linsf suckss. As shsf sucks half-sf sucksxpsf sucksctsf sucksd somsf sucksonsf sucks sf suckslssf sucks to gsf suckst up and givsf sucks a spsf suckssf sucksch, shsf sucks wasn't rsf sucksally sursf sucks it was thsf sucks right placsf sucks to talk.

Edited by SB.

What did that look mean? Cass had hoped she didn't notice, but Claire didn't seem to mind... Still, this, was not the forum to make any confusing actions. Cass quietly shuffled in her seat, keeping her hands to herself. I should explain things to her after... I don't want her to be confused. Ugh, what a mess I am. I should be perfectly fine in this sort of meeting! I even spoke up during the last one. This is just... I feel so out of place. Cass bit her lip, before letting things go and taking a deep breath. This was just declarations and assignment, surely... It couldn't last for long.

It had been a long time since Sidney had significant interactions with the noble houses of Raewald, and usually she was with her father- never with him at a completely different part of the table from her. But here she was, sitting with the Prince of Wyke and the other people traveling on this journey, while Marquess Montana was a few seats from Queen Ethel. There were other people she recognized as well, and she was sure they recognized her, but with the order of the queen she at least felt safe- but still she was nervous enough that she wasn't completely focused on the two speeches, glancing at people across the room. Marquess Gallahan is here... I wonder if Ferdinand is. Well, he's probably not important enough to be invited alongside his father, so I'm likely worrying over nothing.

Angus was still surprised how easy it was to follow the monarchs' words, the contrast from his weeks of sleepless effort chastising his foolishness. His eyes no longer gummed shut after every blink, and he hadn't tripped, slipped, swayed, nodded off, or forgotten where he was since he'd arrived in the room! Once again he was confronted by that niggling thought. Had he any shred of sense, perhaps he could have done something about the... fiasco at the church. Perhaps he'd have prepared in some way for the coming war, not left himself with the barest scraps of countless books and drills. The boy closes his eyes briefly, dismissing his newest regrets for now as only more wasted time.

Buried neck-deep in nobles, though, Angus was at a bit of a loss for immediate action. He couldn't risk some fresh idiocy falling from his mutton-hole! Instead, he waits patiently, feigning boredom. Something worth hearing would come along soon, if only the mooncalf would stay seated to catch it.

Edited by Terrador
Spoilers suck

Righteousness. That was the word that Owen had used to describe Deira's motives for this war. And it made Serge feel sick on the inside. The fact that this all started because of some 'divine right' they were given, as if the god Engel came down and told them that the world was theirs. Admittedly, he knew little of religion and of what Engel promoted, but that was only because he never got himself involved. And if religion made these crazy types, ones who would interrupt a wedding between two of the same sex, and ones who would go conquer everything in some holy war, then he still wanted nothing to do with it. Of course, he was going to have to fight them, now that he was involved, but hopefully he would have more thank just the four mercenaries watching his back. It was going to be an uphill battle, and one that would likely last for a long time, and the only question he had now was if he was prepared to fight or not.

...Eric stared at the floor as he listened to the speeches all these people were giving. They all said how Deira and its people were wrong. How much suffering they had inflicted. How they needed to pay...They were right. And as he stood, hidden along the crowd, Eric felt nothing but guilt. He had been part of it. He had sported the colors of his country. Technically, he still did, if only for lack of a change of clothes(the defining article of which he had pulled his arms out of, letting it hang from his belt. It wasn't invisible, but it was relatively low-profile...right? Nobody had noticed yet).

I really shouldn't feel this guilty, Eric told himself, I'm not with...them...anymore. I didn't even make the decisions to begin with. Come to think of it, he hadn't signed up for the army for the sake of 'serving his country' or any similar notion. No, he signed up to earn himself glory. To jot his name in the pages of history, selfish as it may sound...So much for that. He hadn't even begun to process everything that had happened in the last few days, up to and including why he was standing around while a bunch of nobles made speeches about how much Deira sucked...Truth be told, he didn't want to. If he didn't think about how bad he was screwing himself over...

Eric didn't speak. Besides the fact that he had never been involved in any planning, thus having no idea what move anyone was making next, he was probably the least qualified person in the room to do so, and...it wasn't like anyone would listen to him anyway...Hardly anyone ever did.

Constance  had considered ignoring the meetibg, it seemed like a horribly high profile and boring affair. But she decided to go if only to establish herself more firmly amongst the prince's peers. Sure enough the focus was nowhere near where it should me. Nobody mentioned Malaphar or any of the potential reasonings for Deira's actions. Instead they just reassured themselves of how justified and unavoidable the coming slauther is.

She spotted the mercenary from the church. "You look troubled boy. What's wrong? In over your head?"

Suleiman had not spoken with Owen's group prior to the meeting, so he had no idea of the people he was working with. The meeting itself was very boring, having to see all the posturing and re-assurance among the nobles. But he didn't care about that. The nobles' petty troubles were of no concern to him. Instead, he was delighted to know of what was to come. Turning to the person standing next to him, he slammed his fist into his hand and grinned. "I've been wanting to knock a few Deiran skulls about, and now I finally have the chance to do so! Liberating Myrcia would be great, especially if we could overthrow the wretched elite. How about you, lad? Are you excited about this war?"  He looked around to see an old lady talking to them as well. What was she doing in this army, at her age? Wouldn't she just break like a twig if she ever entered the battlefield? Suleiman looked at her weirdly for only a moment, before turning back to the young man before him.

Act 4 is over! Feel free to keep posting for the current scene but a skip will occur for the next one! See you in the new thread!

Concerning Rumors Pt. II

Spoiler

Evening, 25th of April, 812

It had only been a day since the conclusion of the wedding, and Alain was still reeling from the whole affair. He'd chosen to spend most of his time locked in his quarters, recovering from both the physical and mental fatigue. His memory of the day had faltered a bit, but regrettably not enough to wipe away the dull pain permeating from his skull. Nor enough to wash away the ire that he felt for Constance. A lucky thing that he hadn't suffered too greatly. Doubly so that the Prince had been recovered relatively unharmed.

That was sadly the only bit of "good news" that occurred that day. From what he'd read in his report, the wedding itself had culminated in a complete disaster. Arteria had evaded capture, Cassandra had been burned quite severely, and Adele had suffered a life-threatening injury. But what his report neglected to mention were the circumstances that arose which led to all of those things.

But he'd heard. 

No one dared to say anything out loud, not regarding Queen Ethel's guests--but the hushed commentary had not fallen on deaf ears. Alain was privy to it all. The maids loved to gossip the most--a habit likely picked up from the court women they attended to, if he had to hazard a guess. The men of course were no slouches either. It was enough to pique his interest, but while wild rumor could be amusing, it was hardly ever close to the truth. 

"Hello, Lady Claire?" He knocked on the door. "Er, I was told that Princess Cassandra was staying with you for the time being. I was wondering if she might be accepting visitors." 

-:-

Another visitor, was it... That sounded like Alain. Cass had made fast friends with the diplomat during their travels, though this was likely ruined, now. Still, she couldn't shy away from everyone, could she? Taking similarly slow steps towards the door, Cass opened it, staring at Alain. "Hello. Claire's... She's out."

"Oh, that's quite a shame. I can come back another time if you'd prefer, but I thought you might like a friend's... company... " he said, his voice beginning to trail off. He feigned an expression of mild astonishment at Cassandra's disheveled appearance, though in truth he'd expected much worse.

"I'd heard you'd been gravely injured, but it is good to see you moving around and about Princess," he said, offering her a pleasant smile.

Perhaps he could call it a stroke of good fortune that Claire wasn't around. It meant he'd be able to discuss things according to his liking. Lucky for him, this wasn't the first time that he'd dealt with a distraught Cassandra. Though, he had a feeling this discussion would prove more difficult to navigate than the last. 

Cass tried to smile. It didn't quite work. "I'm surprised you're managing to call me your friend after everything that happened during the wedding... I'm sure you've heard the rumors; most of them are true. I don't... I don't think you'd wish to associate me, after such a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some choice words for me, as well." Another friend to write off the list was fine, she'd expected this. It didn't hurt any less, but that was the way of things.

"I wouldn't be a very good friend if I let mere rumor sway my opinion--true or otherwise," he said, placing a thoughtful hand on her shoulder. It was a genuine concern he had, even if the intentions for the visit weren't entirely pure. "You wouldn't believe the things people say about me sometimes," he chuckled. 

"Come, why don't we take this inside? This hallway is fairly lovely, but perhaps this is a discussion better served in the privacy of your--well, Lady Claire's room," he said, guiding her inside. "I do hope I'm not causing you any trouble. I just want to understand what happened."

"Maybe not, but... I've, d-done horrible things, Alain. I just..." The hand on her shoulder made her jump, looking up at him, sighing. "Yes, I suppose the hallway isn't that great a place to discuss things. Come in. I can't imagine Claire would be upset at you being in her room." Just want to understand what happened... Too much happened, Alain. That you even want to speak to me, is... More than I deserve. With another sigh, she stepped out of the way, back onto the bed in Claire's room.

Alain softly closed the door behind him. He pulled up a chair, placing himself at an amicable distance from her. Just what sorts of horrible things had she done, he wondered?

"Mmm, this might be dredging up some painful memories, but I'll ask just to get this out of the way," he said, trying to keep his tone as cordial as possible. 

"I'd heard that you'd been burned rather badly, and not by the torch." He frowned. "To my knowledge, the only one employing fire magic that day was myself. Even if there was a mage among the peasantry, I can't imagine they'd have been able enough to inflict such bodily harm," he said, rubbing his chin pensively. 

"And what happened with Lady Adele? I've been told she's en route to the Montanna territory, but... " He trailed off, regretting the question even as he spoke.  "Forgive me, I meant to give you company, not to pry into personal details..." He shook his head.

"I'm just glad you're alright, is all." 

"Then burn... W-Was Claire." Cass hoped that didn't set off any alarms within Alain. What came next was far worse. "I... She tried to cast without a tome, at Arteria... And I put myself in the way of it. Because... I didn't want her to die." Cass sighed. It was pretty stupid to put it like that, but that was the way of things. She hadn't wanted Arteria to die like that, so she put her body in the way. I'm so stupid...

"As f-for Adele," Cass caught herself stuttering, looking down at the floor to try and avoid Alain seeing her tear up. "She... T-Tried to kill herself. Things were too much, f-for her to bear. So... Sidney helped in sending her off to one of their coastal estates. Indefinitely..."

"I-It's fine, Alain. I'm... I'm not okay. I'm sorry. It's fine, but I'm just, not... I'm such a fool."

Alain had to actively keep himself from gawking at Cassandra's revelations. That Claire had attempted to cast without a tome, despite her lack of experience in years seemed preposterous, but that Cassandra had intentionally stepped between the attack was even more so. Adele attempting to commit suicide on the day of her wedding was an entirely different category of madness altogether.

It took him a moment to compose himself, and even then he could hardly produce anything of merit. "I see. I'm sorry to hear all of that," was all he managed to say. What a foul mood. 

He let out a deep sigh. "I imagine this all must have taken quite the toll on you, huh? I admit, putting yourself in harms way to protect an enemy was...a questionable decision, but I don't see why that would stop us from being friends?"

Still, it was a wonder that she'd done what she did. Last he recalled, Cassandra had admitted to him that the prospect of Arteria hounding her was frightening. Never mind that, she'd even taken the woman's life herself at one point. So what was with the sudden shift? 

"You say sorry, and say you wish to remain friends... But moments after that, I was telling her to kill Serge's men. Egging her on... Because I wanted to relish in her power at that moment." Cass buried her face in her hands, starting to sob quietly. It felt so disgusting to think about now, why did it feel so good then? This was just the worst...

It was sad to see the sorry emotional state that Cassandra was in, but for his purpose it was as much as he could have hoped for. He owed Ethel quite a bit, yet Belial's words still echoed in his mind. A dog for hire was just that.

Subservient, and replaceable.

Perhaps there would come a day where Ethel would tire of him--or perhaps even grow fearful. Or perhaps she would come to betray his expectations out of sheer boredom. Who knew? 

It was to that end, he wished to prepare. 

"I'm a little shocked I must admit... I never expected a royal born princess to fall victim to such a depraved mindset," he said, quieting himself for a moment amidst Cassandra's sobbing. It was a sad sight to see, even for him. "I can see now why you expected me to utter some choice words for you..." 

"But you know it's funny because I don't quite blame you, not entirely anyway. I wonder if that makes me even worse?" he chuckled, but his voice was tinged with melancholy. 

"You might not care to hear it, but allow me to share with you a bit of my past," he said, folding his hands in his lap.

"When I was a boy, I thought power meant status. Kings and Queens, Dukes and Duchesses, Princes and Princesses--for a pauper to play a prince is truly absurd, but still I would dream."

"But, even as status fell into my hands, I found myself without power--without recognition. A recurring theme of my life, if you will. In the end, I turned to magic to find fulfillment. To prove myself. Yet after those many years were over, I came to the realization that still I had achieved little. To the nobility, I was still nothing. And to my peers, I was still nobody," he said. 

He stood up from his seat and joined Cassandra on the bed, taking her hand in his. 

"Do you remember back in Magonsaete, when you came into my tent to ask me about the things that Emmet had said about me? Do you remember the things I asked you then? About Malaphar? About Engel? Do you remember what you told me?"

He pulled out Balor, and placed it on Cassandra's lap. 

"I'm not going to mock you Cassandra, and I wont scorn you. Evidently, I find that I might have lost that right a long time ago," he sighed. "But as a friend--and perhaps for your benefit, as well as my own... I want you to consider this: instead of foolishly chasing after Arteria's power, trying to be like her--perhaps you would be willing to share in mine?" 

A depraved mindset. That's exactly what it was. She'd become an animal, even Alain could truly see her... S-See her, for... Why? I... I understand my brother, perhaps Claire... But Alain, even if we got along... To go this far... Not blaming her... Making him worse? She didn't understand. How could anyone not blame her...

She listened attentively to his story. A story about place, about power. Not at all dissimilar to herself... Despite her station, her own power was only something she ever took. And even then, there was always someone above her, or who thought themselves above, who would take it away. She wasn't a nobody, but she definitely wasn't somebody. Not the somebody she wanted to be. She was the princess, not Cassandra. Never Cassandra.

"I do, remember... That the church, has never meant anything to me. What does that have to do, with..." Was he going to propose? This was all quite odd, all of a sudden. And when the book his her lap, she was still quite confused.

"Lost that right? A-Alain, I don't... Understand..." Her sadness had been replaced with confusion, looking at him and the book, still not getting things. "What power? Claire's already teaching me magic, I'm not quite sure... What you mean..." Foolishly chasing after Arteria was definitely the proper way to put things. But what was this replacement he offered? And more importantly, what did it cost...?

He let out a laugh, "I'm surprised you can't tell what you're holding there," he said, opening the tome properly, "but I suppose you simply lack the experience to realize," he said, acknowledging her confusion. 

"You see, there something quite interesting that ties us closer than you'd imagine," he began, tracing the words of Balor with his fingertip. "Heretics like us--the followers of Engel don't like very much. I'm sure you saw it on the day of your wedding. The way the peasants clamored to disrupt your freedom?"

"That's the reality we live in--the reality that you've chosen for yourself, knowingly or otherwise. But it hurts, doesn't it? It hurts that people wont just let you do what you want. It hurts that you see someone like Arteria, and all you can do is fall victim to her beck and her call," he said. 

"You can change all of that, though. There's a way to strengthen yourself--your resolve, without losing your compassion, or your identity. We've both borne witness to how the light of Engel can be blinding. And the whims of the bloodthirsty can be maddening."  

"So, what I'm offering you is an alternative: the coolness of Belial's shade... " 

It was a lovely speech, and a bit frightening, really. Alain was a big talker, his status as a diplomat meant that much. But hearing all of this from him when she was so fragile already was truly putting her on edge. This apprehension stayed with her throughout, and after he finished, her mind stuck on that last line.

"Belial? B-But... Y, You're a practitioner?" She slid a bit away from him in surprise, not having expected something quite like that... It didn't scare her more than add a simple worry to her mind. What did being one of Belial's mean? "I... I know that I said I wasn't a fan of Engel, but that doesn't mean I'm simply a fan of the other... Why do you offer? Is it pity? Wishing for some compatriot in your own sin? I don't understand... And what does Belial give me that I can't find on my own, or with others?"

It was going to be a bit of a hard sell, but Cass was intrigued. The prospect of having the power Arteria had without losing herself for it was enticing... "What's the cost?" That was the biggest question to ask. What did all of this power cost? Because power always had a cost...

Honestly, Alain wasn't expecting such a... placid reaction from the princess. He thought he'd had his work cut out for him, even considering Cassandra's emotional state. But she seemed more easily captured than he'd anticipated. 

"Sometimes you ask the silliest questions Cassandra," he said, a calm smile spreading across his face. "I wouldn't be telling you all of this if I was a devout Engelist, now would I?" he chuckled. "I understand your apprehension--but you should understand I'm not here to force you to do anything, so rest easy," he said, trying to reassure her. 

"You've seen for yourself the cost of trying to find things on your own, haven't you?" he said, referring to Cassandra's own morose state. "I applaud the desire to find strength from ones own self, but a guiding hand every now and again can't be such a bad thing, wouldn't you agree? And I don't know if Engel would be willing to accept you as you are. Belial on the other hand... he's a bit more forgiving. Funny, isn't it?" he mused.  

"As for the cost...hmm?" he muttered. A soul, perhaps--but what did that even mean? No, it was something even more ephemeral than that.

"The cost is proportional to what you hope to gain. Selfish desire require selfless sacrifice, you see? So it's not about the cost itself. It's about what you're willing to part with. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Arteria had to part with her sanity. I don't know if that's the ending you desire..." 

"I don't quite think it silly, Sir Alain... This is a deal with the Gods, if you're being honest with me. And as much as I would wish to believe this to be some prank, between Malaphar and the twins, the Gods being real wouldn't strike me as that odd." Cassandra sighed, looking back at the book. The powers within it did feel quite off, nothing like she'd ever felt before, but there was nothing inherently... Wrong, in what she felt. Was that how it was? That Engel was only good because the church pushed him to be?

"I suppose not," she replied, the thought of a guiding hand being delivered to her still being a strange one. Belial being more forgiving then Engel, though? She scoffed. "Funny what they tell you on Sunday mass, then. Tell them your sins, and Engel will forgive you. Belial is the devil. All that drivel..."

The cost, though... Proportional to what you wished to gain. Cass wanted to be strong... For what? Herself? Her brother? Her country? All of them... " I see. I... Alright."

Cass nodded, slowly, looking up at Alain from the time. "I trust you, Alain. Perhaps I shouldn't. Perhaps I'm running face first into a trap, and you're using my state to trick me into this... But power without becoming... Becoming that. I don't think I can say no to it."

"Funny indeed," he said, tapping his chin. "An... acquaintance of mine tells me that Engel isn't all that he's cracked up to be. But history is written by the victors after all, so who is to say?" 

Somewhere from within the abyss, Alain knew that Belial was watching this conversation unfurl--no doubt bellowing with laughter. I doubt the church got everything wrong about him though... Devil or not, the demon was certainly cunning. Nevertheless, he felt pleased by Cassandra's direction. Hopefully, Prince Owen of Wyke wouldn't hold it against him.

"I hope that in the coming months, your trust in me will prove to not have been misplaced," he charmed. "Don't feel as though you're being pressured, the offer will stand for as long as you want it to."

He tore out a page from Balor, and presented it to Cassandra. "Here, this is for you. It's not much, but you may end up finding some use for it," he said. "If your studies with Lady Claire go according to plan, consider that page there your final exam, if nothing else," he said. 

"I would hope not... As embarrassing as this might be, were you a woman, I would find myself quite captivated by you, Alain. I suppose it's best you aren't, for both our sakes. I don't imagine you wish to be wrapped up in Wykian royalty or politics after all of this." She sighed, taking a few pausing breaths. What a talk. One of her closest friends was a devil worshiper, and now... She was going to be, too. She took the page with a moment's hesitation, looking it over.

"I suppose it would be best to keep this from Claire. I'll... See about looking into it, once I've managed to deal with anima, properly. For the best, right?" She managed what could be construed as a smile, folding up the scrap and holding onto it. "Thank you, Alain. I never supposed I'd have people watching out for me quite like this."

Alain found himself snickering at Cassandra's confession. "You spare more flattery than I deserve, Cassandra," he said. "Though, I should point out that I still happen to be a diplomat. So I imagine I'll be dealing with Wykian royalty for some time to come," he said. 

"But yes, that may be a preferable course of action for now," he admitted, nodding his head. Having obtained both Ethel's permission, and Cassandra's allegiance, it wasn't something he was personally too concerned with--but it was perhaps best to leave the shock for another time and place.  

"And please, think nothing of it. My intentions aren't as pure as I'd have liked, but I hope we'll both find mutual satisfaction from this arrangement," he said, rising from the bed.

"In any event, it's getting to be a little late for me. I imagine Lady Claire might be returning to her chambers soon as well, so I'd rather not linger. And I'm sure you've much to think about. Do take care now."  

"I can only hope, yes... Thank you, again. I... Will do my best to derive from this, some semblance of what I want. Take care, Alain." Cass offered him a smile, perhaps the first since he'd arrived. There was some calm in the information she'd received, unsure of where to go with it, but glad to find a way to move forward. At least, in some regard...

• 5 months later...