Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Sidney nodded at Owen's words. "Yes, let's not make this yet another of my extended, introspective thoughts of fault that I seem to have too many of recently... what's said is said, but you're right, this is meant to be a joyous occasion, the preparations for a wonderful wedding!" On the other hand, Cass and Adele's preparations seem to have gone south very quickly. "Oh, er, I see." I can't help but think that if less of a commotion was made about it then people wouldn't have been so unpleasant, although that's not very tactful to bring up regardless of how true it is...

"Well, that's unfortunate. Their clothing is better than most places if you ask me, but if they're uncooperative, I suppose I can think of somewhere else to take us. But I do think it's better to be on the cautious side... I was very surprised to hear the Queen's endorsement of your union. The people of Raewald don't take too kindly to what they perceive as something very rule-breaking, and if you're unlucky, it could end worse than you just being rattled. If you have to make a few changes to your story to make it more socially acceptable, then just do it. Just explain to them, ah... Adele's unfortunate fear of wearing dresses due to a childhood mishap. I'm sure they'll play along with it, and they're not exactly invited to the wedding, so the truth is no matter to them. Well... no, I guess that wouldn't work, seeing as she's already wearing a dress, but... we can think of something! That way hopefully any kind of talking to can be avoided." She thought it was a pretty good solution, anyway. "But yes, once we get Claire, we can find somewhere new." What was the other place named? Sylvester's?

Edited by Reinfleche

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constance wandered the wards for some time. She eventually managed to find a servant who directed her towards the prince's room. There was nobody there however so she simply wrote a note for him explaining who she was. She considered furthering the lie that she had been employed with him already but instead chose to tell the truth, that she was simply an experienced healer who had encountered Claire and was interested in his encounters with Malaphar. She left her gift with the note, explaining what it was to the best of her knowledge. Not something the prince would want to use himself but I'm sure he has a body guard or servant who it would be useful on. It took her several attempts until she was satisfied with the letter. Not because she was uncertain about what to say, but because she wasn't used to writing something she expected other people to read.

Satisfied with the result, Constance made her way towards the exit. However she was suddenly struck by a strange sensation. An aura of darkness from nearby. Not malevolent but...curious. She took a detour through several corridors and came to a door that looked like any other. It was unlocked so she walked in unannounced. The aura was stronger now so she followed it into the bed room. There she saw a girl lying in bed and a mage by her side. She didn't say anything, she didn't have any reasonable explanation as to why she was there. Instead she stood at her full bearing, making her presence meaningful and striking.

Edited by Jotari

'Ello 'Ello

Owen and his group didn't have a chance to get very far, a quartet of city guards had rapidly decended on them. Clad in slate gray armour and holding their spears upright, they at least weren't threatening them with their weapons. One of the four stepped forward, pointing directly at Cass and Adele. He was a young man, not that much older than Owen himself, but he carried himself with an air of experience and confidence.

"By the laws of Tytila, you are to halt and surrender yourselves." he declared, his voice silencing the crowd around them. "You have been charged with public indecency and disturbing the peace. You are to comply without resistance, you shall not be harmed if you come along peacefully."

He gestured for his other guards to approach, readying restraints in their hands. The crowd started to applaud, clearly content with the incoming detainment of Cass and Adele. However, the lead guard glared at the crowd, banging the end of his spear on the ground and silencing them. "There shall be none of that. Justice is being served, this is not a sport to be watched for entertainment. Disperse unless you wish to join these two in the dungeons for civil unrest. This goes for you too, Prince Owen. Your connections matter not, the law does not bend its knee for those of status."

Cass and Adele can choose to comply... or not!

Reluctant Warning

Morganna looked conflicted, as if she wanted to say something but then chose against it. "Claire, you're smart enough, you shouldn't get involved in this either." she replied, clutching her palms together. "I shouldn't be telling you this but I've let the college know about him, just let them handle it. His magic's way out of our league, imagine what would have happened if he wasn't injured? Your breakfast loving baron barely made it out alive, he's lucky he wasn't torn in half. Unless you have some genius plan, you can't beat him with brute force."

There was a hesitance in her body language, as if she were torn between talking to Claire and leaving. "I don't know how quickly he'll start doing things, but I hope I won't see him again in my lifetime." she added. "It sounds like he's been around for a while, hopefully he isn't in a hurry... but why would he appear now?"

Belial Buddies

Emily paused, looking at Alain curiously. "Belial? That name sounds familiar." she replied, tapping her chin as she thought. "He's not my Uncle's pet cat... I think that was Berry... or Bongo. Wait, isn't he like Engel's archenemy? You know, kinda like Prince Owen and his brother who tried to steal his pants? Uncle Morgan's not very interested in going to church, he says that it's better just to think about the people around you."

The entrance of Constance broke her attention, the elderly woman's confident aura visibly impressing the young woman. "Morganna? Is that you? I guess living with Emmet and his Pinnochio is even tougher than I expected!" she gasped, pausing for a few seconds. "Wait, you're not Morganna... Alain, is this your new girlfriend? It's a little fast, but I hope it works better than with Morganna!"

Steve and Goliath

A large armoured man had noticed Serge's plight, a towering giant with more muscle in one arm than in all of Serge's body. Looking down at Serge through his walrus-like mustache, he patted Serge on the shoulder, nearly dislocating his shoulder in the process. "Why so glum, my little friend? Lost the fire within you?" he chortled, his voice vibrating through his armour. "A lad like you should be out on adventures, striving to be a hero! You're old enough to be my son, let me give you some fatherly words! Don't worry about what you don't have or have lost, focus on what you still have and what you can achieve! A true hero makes the best of any situation!"

"At least I was right in my assumption," Cass muttered as the guards approached. "We'll see how much the Queen's blessings are worth in a bit, won't we? I've a feeling I'm to be scolded and reprimanded, for 'misinterpreting' her. Alright then! Guards, as much as I am loathe to call you by such a worthwhile title, take me along. I wish to speak with the Queen, and have her clarify this issue. And I will not go along in chains, shall you try this I will become far from compliant. I am not some animal or vicious criminal, nor do I feel I have broken any of your lofty laws simply by existing, but we shall see, won't we? Lead, then." With a haughty superiority fitting her station, Cass scoffed. This was quite the mockery of life, she felt. If this is how things are to be in Wyke, then I shall have to be far, far more strict. I suppose an iron fist wouldn't hurt, would it?

"Adele, don't make a fuss. If our meeting with the queen is to be believed at all, this is just a lack of communication down the rung. And if not, I am about to become quite the scapegoat for my brother... Either way, I'm... Not going to endanger Wyke simply because of what I hope is a mistake."

More and more and more of this. When the day could not get any worse, it most certainly spat in her face and got worse. Adeltrudis had no idea how Cassandra was remaining so calm, the Herman heiress only able to resist grabbing her axe due to the Princess' own calm demeanor. Hands resting at her sides, balled into fists and shaking, Adele's glare burned into the guardsmen. She would wait for their response, she owed Cass that much for keeping things hopefully civil. If said response was poor, she didn't know if she could contain herself any longer.

Sidney froze up at the guards approaching- but, their approach was for Cass and Adele instead, which... she wasn't sure if she felt better or worse about. Better for me, of course, but... surely the words of the Queen will help their case, so it hopefully will be just a bit of a delay instead of a major ordeal? Still, she eyed them cautiously. The one who spoke to them had a strange sense of familiarity, the way he prattled on about the justice of the situation. Reminds me of one of the guards a bit, but I can't think of a name, and he's not so distinct that I could be certain. Well, hopefully he just thinks the same as me- I don't look that much like I used to. 

Probably.

Do not collect

The lead guard didn't take kindly to Cass' protests, but he at least listened them for the meantime. "Raewald's law is absolute. Without rules and order, we would be no better than the barbarians to the south. I do not question the law, I enforce it to provide safety for the people I protect. If the Queen above is to contest the law, it is my duty to accept her verdict, but until that moment, I will follow that which King Edwin had declared before her. You may not feel that our laws are fair, but nor do those who steal or murder. Your acts are a crime, and will not be treated as anything less than that."

The other guards started to approach with the restraints, but their leader held his arm out. "That won't be necessary. If she is true to her word, she shall not attempt escape." he ordered, the others backing off rather quickly. "However, if I am proved wrong, the results for them will be less than pleasant. Come, you are to follow us to be processed."

Instead, his men took formation around Cass and Adele. It could have been a trick of their eyes, but there was a glimmer of a blade, barely visible from one of the alleys, disappearing after a second or two - likely Sebastian keeping an eye on the situation.

They hadn't even gone far. It was ridiculously swift action from the Raewalden guards to stop them. Owen simply gulped dry, feeling yet more like he couldn't help his sister at all. In a different land, it wasn't within his right to stop the guards, as much as he could appeal. The people saw Adele and Cass as terrible offenders --revolting, to have his own sister and good friend painted as lecherous fiends. Still, Owen raised a hand, mouth half-open, hoping to plead a second look on that case. Had his sister come up and bothered a civilian, he'd have less ground, but in his mind, he could change the guard's view...

But that speech on justice, law? That made Owen seethe, quickly he closed his mouth, his hand balling into a fist with all of his frustration.

To think of law as something to follow blindly? When he was so worried to not copy the mistakes his father did, to refine what was just and wrong in the world, to hear that from an entity he couldn't directly confront was enough to drive him mad. "I will follow you, then." The prince stepped forward, holding his head high, "I wish to know the outcome as it happens. Surely I am not denied to see what judgement will be passed on to my own sister?" Right then and there, what he actually wished to do was to order the guards to stay put, but if his sister was to comply with their orders, the least he could do is be there for her.

"At least one of you has some modicum of respect. I see you all, back there, ready to wrap me up like the problem you think I am. I'll be the first to spit on your boots when this is resolved." Their readiness disgusted her, but she made no motion to resist their formation of sorts, arms folded ready to walk along. That Owen wished to come with them was a pleasant thought. At least she had the support she needed with her, between him and Adele.

The feeling of heavy iron on his shoulder nearly made him jump, though Serge probably wouldn't have jumped far, as he felt the weight of the large, armored man holding him down. That, and the pain. Serge looked up at the hulking giant, clad in heavy armor meant to protect to all sorts of weapons. He had to question why someone such as him was in the Heroes' Guild, he looked more like a fully fledged knight!

Of course, the mention of 'fatherly advice' had caught Serge off guard, making him think back to his own father and, by association, his mother. It was the whole reason he had started on his own personal adventure. Serge listened to the words he spoke, taking them in and interpreting them as best he could. Of course, the word 'hero' was an...interesting thing to call Serge, but the knight had done so. And it made him think even more. About Emily. "...You're...not the first one to tell me to be a 'hero'." He said, finally speaking up. "Still, thanks for the advice. I...I'll try and keep that in mind, sir...I'm sorry, what's your name?"

"I'm not sure I know a whole lot about Prince Owen's thieving brother but--" Alain's reply was cut short by Constance's abrupt arrival. She stood wordlessly in-front of the fledgling dark mage, commanding a presence that dripped with Belial's influence. He had to give the woman credit, but she was lacking compared to the likes of Queen Ethel and Malaphar. 

Emily was the first to break the silence, and in a way that only she could do. For a moment, the room was filled with the sound of Alain's sincere laughter. "Thank you for your blessings Emily, but I believe I was born a little too late to be taking Madam Constance as my companion," he said, trying to suppress any further hysterics. "Ahhh, well... it's good manners to knock first Madam Constance, but I'm sure I don't need to be telling you that," he said, stepping aside. 

"I've a bit of an idea of how you found me but I'd like to ask you not to say something that would be... ill-advised around others. I've heard you have a bit of a loose tongue regarding yourself but my position does not allow me that luxury at the moment," he said, eyeing the woman cautiously. It was unlikely that Emily would even be able to pay attention to even half of their conversation, but there was no telling what she, or anyone else for that matter, might pick up on. 

"Morganna, there's nobody else who's going to handle this. Do you really think that the college don't know about Malaphar already?" He was such a powerful mage that there was no way rumours about him hadn't circulated through the upper echelons of Wihtwar for quite some time. The suggestion did little more than make Claire frown, as she weighed up the possibility of pushing Morganna for more. 

"I shouldn't tell you this"? Why not? There was evidently more going on here than the mage was willing to divulge, but Claire worried that if she pressed that matter Morganna would pop like a balloon, with how shaken she was already. Does she know more, but want me to stay out of it for my own safety? That... was possible, maybe. How would she stumble upon information like this though? 

There was so much that Claire wanted to know, but seemingly little time. The rowdiness of the Raewalden crowd hadn't been lost on her, but when the guards raised their voice and spoke directly to Prince Owen, she certainly couldn't afford to linger any longer. She took one last glance at Morganna, not quite sure what to make of her. "If you've decided that you know something, I'm staying in the Nobles Ward." It was worth a shot, at the very least. "If not, then I suppose this is goodbye."

Leaving little time for a response, Claire hurried back towards the action, slipping in next to Charlotte. "What happened?" she whispered, very aware of the delicacy of the situation. Were the guards really taking Cass and Adele away? Regardless, the last thing that Claire wanted to do was speak up with an incomplete understanding of what happened and make things even worse.

Sidney stayed quiet, a feeling of utter hopelessness washing over her as she watched the events fold out before her. She gave the trio a desperate look, a hushed "I'm sorry" escaping her lips as Owen stepped forward. And Claire couldn't have come at much worse a time. The question startled her, and what was surely a mortified expression she had probably didn't reassure Claire when she turned towards her. "Cass and Adele got into some trouble talking about their wedding, which doesn't exactly fall under Raewalden law, and the guards don't exactly want to negotiate," she told her just as quietly. "Owen wants to come to make sure this is all a misunderstanding with the Queen and to see they're unharmed, but... I'd rather not be walking anywhere near there."

Jailhouse Blues

The guards quickly relieved Adele and Cass of their weapons, giving them a chance to offer them before making any decisions to take them by force. The guard captain listened to Owen, thinking briefly as to how to respond to the prince. "It is perhaps unorthodox, but I shall allow this." he replied, his men leading Cass and Adele, along with Owen in tow.

-

Cass and Adele had been placed in two seperate cells, facing each other on opposite sides of the corridor. Most of the others were empty, it was likely that it had been a quiet morning. The other inmates appeared to be petty thieves, none of them causing much of a fuss within their cells. Owen had been allowed into the prison under the lead guard's orders. The quartet had stationed themselves in the prison, but the appearance of a fifth soon changed things.

"Order from upstairs is for me to take over guard duty, you're all to return to patrols. Her Majesty is enroute and does not wish to be have, in her own words, so many loiterers." he relayed, giving a salute. The guards themselves appeared somewhat confused by the order, but their leader raised his hand.

"If her Majesty has ordered it, so it shall be. Thank you, soldier." he replied, looking at the guard curiously. He appeared to mutter something about not recognising the guard under his breath as he left, but it wasn't long before they had all left, leaving them with a single guard in the prison. The guard took his place next to Adele's cell, standing up straight. "Shall I rearrange your afternoon tea, Lady Adeltrudis?" he asked casually, not turning to face Adele. "Queen Ethel is on her way, it just required some facilitation."

Iron Giant

The man laughed, patting Serge on the back firmly. "My name's Marrok, my little chum. Don't go about calling me sir, not like I'm the Pope's piano teacher or anything!" he boomed, putting his hands on his hips. The people around them were doing their best to avoid looking at the pair, Marrok certainly brought an aura with him. "What can I call you, my little aspiring hero? Do you have a name that strikes awe into all your foes? Something heroic, like Galavant, or Tordel... or Serge! Yes, names like those are very heroic!"

"What a mess," Cass grumbled, kicking the ground in her cell. This must've been how Gewaint felt, though perhaps more desperate, or even less so. He seemed quite defeated while we were rescuing him... Still, this is a horrible situation. I can't imagine what trouble I'm causing the Queen, coming all the way here to some guard house, not to mention my brother, ugh. Ugh! I hate this! I hate this stupid world. Why is this wrong!? Does our love cause such issue that we are to be jailed over it!? 'Think of the children,' think what, that some like me may find solace in an adult being just like them? This is such a farce of life!

With another angry grunt, she kicked a bar of the cell, flinching at the pain in her foot. "Sorry, Owen," she mumbled towards her brother, stationed nearby. At least it was a pleasant surprise to see Sebastian in place of another guard. They weren't out of the woods yet, but it meant they had suitable help, should it be necessary. "This really is all my fault..."

"I'm not particularly in the mood for tea, Sebastian." Adeltrudis replied flatly, laying listlessly against the wall of her cell, not even bothering to look in his direction. She recognized the butler by voice alone, his cheeky hint aside. However he had gotten himself into position wasn't of particular import, so much as he was there, in case things went South. And South they were more likely to go, were she to voice even a fraction of her myriad frustrations, so to that end, she would allow the Royal Siblings to take care of speaking to the Queen. Not that Ethel had much care for what anyone aside from those two would have to say out of their group, regardless.

Owen followed the guards with a stone cold face, but did nothing more than be there as an observer, as his word promised. Despite a revolting incident, there was nothing to be done until the Queen showed up. In an attempt to calm himself, Owen slowed his breath, looking sad as Adele and Cass were dumped into jail cells. Closing his eyes, Owen paid little attention to the new soldier's words, until the moment he'd moved up to speak to Adele. "Sebastian... that's good to know. If the Queen is coming, then I'm sure I can have things fixed. She'll be eager to fix this mess, I'm sure." The morning had already soured, but at least they would still have time to figure out the wedding dresses. At least that much...

"That seems like a very rash reaction..." Claire murmured, sharing Charlotte's feelings of discomfort at the situation. Don't do anything risky, Cass... If this was how the locals were going to treat them, then perhaps the trek through Magonsaete wasn't going to be the most dangerous part of her trip. "I'm sure that Owen will be able to take care of things, though." The prince was capable enough - Charlotte just needed a quick reminder, judging by her demanour. 

Afterwards though, Claire wasn't really sure what to do. Morganna had likely left, and with the whole arrest business in mind, it seemed like the plug had been pulled on the clothes shopping trip. "Is there anywhere you want to go?" Claire was clueless, and perhaps it would make the other girl feel better.

Maybe Coffee?

"I understand, Lady Adeltrudis, perhaps another time. From what I've gathered, no orders to capture yourself or Princess Cassandra had been relayed among the guards. It appears that they were responding to a local disturbance only." he replied, maintaining his position. "Master Jeeves once said that mindless fear is greater than mindful fear. People are more afraid of which that they do not understand. I had always assumed that it meant fear within oneself, rather than fear of oneself. I am certain you shall all find words to resolve this situation, I fear I would have to find... alternative employment should I have to intervene."

"So what now, then?" Cass moaned, sighing and moving closer to the conversation, as much as part of her wished to remain quiet and brood. "We're just to wait for the queen, for whatever she wishes to say to us? This is so foolish, I despise it. Whoever instilled such a fear in the people? It boils my blood, it does... We're fully clothed, not even hanging off of each other, yet the people think us whores and tramps, for what? I cannot fathom it. I can't! Ugh!" Cass kicked the cell again, quietly yelping as it hurt more the second time.

"I'm furious... This is pure foolishness. I need someone to explain how this became a law and when, so I can write it out of all of Wyke's history books. Disgusting, idiotic, foolish simpletons, I can't... Hhhhh..." With a desperate sigh, Cass slumped against the wall, putting her face in her hand and shaking her head.

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Yeah... you're probably right." Sidney sighed, largely relieved that she, at least, had nothing to worry about for now. "I've just been extra high-strung since coming back here since I'm worried about things catching up to me. This day isn't going how I wanted to at all, so I'm really just reacting all wrong to everything." She ran her hands through her hair before shaking her head. Why do I even bother doing my hair when I do this to it every day anyway? "I don't know... I had good plans for later, but this sort of puts a damper on everything. Maybe we could go eat or something."

Serge felt that he should have been flattered that his name was something to be considered as 'fitting for a hero', but he was more spooked, than anything, that Marrok was able to guess his name, like that. Regardless, he shook off the feeling, and averted his gaze from the Iron Giant for a moment. "Yeah...Serge. Serge Molenli. That's the name my parents gave me." He lowered his head, looking down at the table where he sat. "I'm no one special, though. Just a guy that's made it this far, somehow. And a guy whose made a lot of costly mistakes... I'm definitely no hero."

He knows my name Constance said to herself. Did Belial tell him for some reason? No, I'm in the Noble Wards. Claire probably told him about me, or he heard from general rumour, and made an educated guess as to who I am when he saw me. "Of course" she muttered. "Naturally I understand the importance of remaining discreet. What's your name?" Though she was still talking and listening to the mage, she moved passed him and examined the girl in the bed. Without asking for permission, she felt the girl's forehead for a temperature. Hmm. What's wrong with her? She doesn't seem sick in any obvious way I can see.

Edited by Jotari

Royal Timing

Thankfully, the wait wasn't too long for Cass and her friends. After perhaps fifteen minutes, the dungeon door opened, Queen Ethel striding confidently past the other convicts - none of which dared speak out against her. Stopping at Adele and Cass' cells, she looked perhaps a little surprised and maybe even somewhat amused. Peering into Cass' cell, she looked at the sulking princess.

"I wasn't quite expecting for you to visit me this way, Cassandra. It seems that there was a degree of miscommunication, I hadn't expected you to run into trouble before I had a chance to relay orders to the guards." she explained, glancing over at Adele in her cell. "I see the guards were at least gentle... but such a sour mood suggests to me that the situation wasn't too pleasant. I hope you didn't see too many pitchforks, it might take a little while to sweettalk the public."

Ethel put her finger to her chin, pondering what to do. "I should probably force them to release you both and apologise for it... I did feel like firing a few people, maybe I could that too, or may toilet duty." she sniggered, visibly pleased by the prospect of making her guards pay. "Prince Owen, what do you think? You'll have to be correcting mistakes one day, I'd be interested in how you'd do it."

Rising Challenger

Marrok gave a hearty laugh, patting Serge firmly on the back again. "See, even your name is telling you to stand proud!" he bellowed. "Everyone starts small and makes more mistakes than a fish trying to walk! Nobody goes around tooting their own horn either! It's the little things that matter, makes us stronger, makes you a real man! The only direction I walk is forwards. There's stuff behind me, but if I never moved on I'd be stuck in a ditch with nothing but a pair of socks and a greasy spoon!"

Looking down at Serge, Marrok smiled. "Punch me in the gut, go on, I'll take my armour off and let you have a slug at me." he requested, already reaching around to undo his own straps. "Sometimes a good knock to get the salt out is all you need!"

Dark Elephant

Emily played along with Constance's curiosity, seeing it as not much more than a game. Whilst her skin was cool to touch, an unsettling emptiness resounded within the hermit. It had been a good number of years since such a feeling had plagued her... and there was an unnerving resemblance to him. Malaphar. There were echoes of the missing humanity that had surrounded him in Emily, although her childlike demeanour was a stark contrast.

"My name's Emily Edion, Miss Consto-... Constipa-... Constance! Is it a secret relationship? Is that why you have to be discreet and use your tongues? I won't tell anyone, I promise!" Emily replied, completely oblivious to the fact she was surrounded by followers of Belial. "You remind me of my grandma, Miss Constance. You smell just like her, like flowers mixed with onions."

"Ah... Queen Ethel." Cass sheepishly looked to the floor, like a child having broken their parent's favorite drinking glass. "A tomato, and some harsh words. Nothing to cry over, I'm just frustrated. I wish to know where this all started, so I can strike it from the root... I can't imagine this is just because of some silly book." The book she was talking about being Engel's teachings, of which she couldn't believe would incite such deep seated rage towards her being this way.

"It's not the fault of your guards, anyway. The captain that brought us in was rather agreeable... Quieted the crowd, no chains, respected that much. It's my fault for being so impatient. I got too... Too comfortable, from our talk. I should have waited another day, or two. I just hope this doesn't make things difficult from now on... I've already paid for the rings; I'd rather not be forced to strong arm people. I'm sure they'd just look down on us more if I did." She sighed and grumbled some more, hoping the Queen didn't have any hidden ire for her mistakes.

But what would Owen decide? That was a curious thing to do, wasn't it? She looked over at him, he hadn't spoken much either, perhaps frustrated by his own inability to stop anything from happening. "Brother...?" Now she was just too curious. She didn't want him to overreact because it was family...