Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

"My first time?" he asked, slightly perplexed. "My first time here? I suppose it would be, yes. Though the area is not altogether foreign to me," he replied thoughtfully. "That said, I was told to always keep my wit sharp and my manners proper," he further explained. He'd just come away from traveling with a Prince and a Princess. It was a hard habit to drop, even though he'd faltered earlier at the door. 

"Would you prefer the alternative? Fish-guts and badgers--dirty droogs and all that? I'm sufficiently out of practice, but I've spent the better part of my day observing," he quipped, showing the faintest bit of a grin. 

"As for my curiosity... well at first glance you seem to be cut from a different cloth than the other guests of this fine establishment. So I suppose I was simply curious about how a mercenary like you might have found herself part of such a gathering," he gestured at the slobbering, drunk, and otherwise unruly men that surrounded them. "I suppose I'm also curious about why I'm the only one seated next to you? Surely a lady like yourself would attract more than a meager crowd of one?" he mused. 

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it was slightly reassuring to see that the former priest wasn't jeering and taunting them like the rest of the inmates, it was clear that he wasn't all there by this point. Even if his sanity still remained when he arrived in the asylum, it looked as though it had completely slipped away since then. This made things tricky. How could she get through to him? Cass seemed to think that everything that he said was nonsense, but Claire wasn't so sure. Meeting his gaze with a furrowed brow, she considered his words carefully. 

I had his attention... There was certainly some recognition there at first, before he turned into a total babbling mess. Cass' comment on Belial didn't seem quite right. Claire knew herself that the academy taught illusionary spells to talented pupils if they showed interest, but Wihtwar followed no real religion. So the demon with a mask with the intention of ruining all life... 

It was quite simple, actually.

"We've already met him. I'm fairly sure, anyway. You're talking about Malaphar, aren't you?" She couldn't think of anyone else who fit the demon - unless there was another secret world-warping mage out there somewhere. "We've met him as well. He tried to trick us into doing his bidding, but we confronted him and he took us to his world. We managed to escape, but I don't know if we could manage it again." She stepped a little closer to the cell - still out of Ezekiel's reach, but only just.

"In your book about illusions, it spoke about magic identical to the powers he had. Please," She took a breath for a moment, almost worried to ask. "If you know anything, we need to know. How does it work? Is there a way to stop it? Please, tell us." Claire went silent afterwards, having said her piece. She just hoped that some small fraction of Ezekiel's mind remained in tact, or else this had all been for naught.

Freya grimaced at the guard, but walked forward alongside Cass and Claire. The asylum was as bizarre as expected, though she'd almost expected that more of the people behind bars would chime in. The one that did earned himself a glare and she gestured towards the spear threateningly, but Cass had the right of it in not paying him too much mind.

The man they met- Ezekiel- didn't seem to be of great mind either. Well, that is why he's here, but this extent is... unexpected. At first Freya thought Cass was right that it seemed pointless, but maybe Claire's question would give him enough direction to go in. For her part, she had little to say to the man, instead looking around them to be sure no foul play was about.

"Eventually? You place so much faith in me, father. I'm flattered." Sidney feigned a yawn, opening the door after it was mentioned to be normal. She smiled as she looked over the familiar darker maroon walls, sky blue-sheeted bed, and mahogany desk. She shut the door, rummaging through her bag to find more presentable clothing now that they were off the road. Emerald necklace, black hairband, pink frilled-dress... that'll do nicely, I think. She switched attire before roaming across the room, looking at the more individual objects throughout it. A portrait of herself when she was about five, the larger painting of a field of flowers hung above her bed, the yew bow she used at fourteen- I'll have to remember that for when we leave...- and lastly several pages of paper stacked in a pile marked with various music notes. "I can't believe that song used to be popular."

Her time for inflection finished for the moment, she opened her door again, mock-bowing before walking back out to the hall to examine the next-door room. Her look was much less thorough, ending after seeing that the bed was prepared. "A bit plain, but I'm sure they'll like it just fine if they need to rest here for an evening. Although I may jest often, I do like being home."

Speak the Devil's Name

Ezekiel continued to mutter to himself, almost in a world of his own behind the bars. As the word Malaphar passed out of Claire's lips, Ezekiel's head jerked up, his glassy gaze directed at Claire. A glimmer of humanity shone from within him, perhaps a shred of the sanity he once possessed.

"The Demon you speak of, Malaphar... dominion challenging Engel, darkness threatening Belial. He shall always be there, haunting the minds of those claimed. No man nor woman can comprehend such a twisted place. An unfathomable wasteland where Engel cannot shine, where Belial cannot tempt. A world where escape shatters the very soul." he rambled, his eyes starting to shake in their sockets. "Three long years, an eternity in torment... whether it were Engel or Belial... damnation is a fate less cruel than his domain."

Freya however had a chance to view some of the other inmates. A vile bunch, many of them wouldn't have looked out of place in Magonsaete. However, the man opposite Ezekiel was different. He was almost satisfied in his chains, smiling smugly as he watched Freya with a solitary eye - his other was covered by a mess of bandages and his wild brown hair. "Worried I might say boo and scare your friends?" he sneered. "I'm here because I do more than scare people, they wished I only scared people."

Fresh Pony

"Such a sophisticated gentleman such as yourself, it must be unusual to enter such a crude place." Lilith replied, moving closer to Alain slowly. "It's hard to find a man who doesn't resemble a wild swine in a place like this. Their interests don't extend much beyond booze, sex and fighting... once you know one man, you know them all." She glanced back at a group of hooligans, the collection of brutes appeared to be trying to competiting in some alcohol consuming themed challenge.

Smiling, she pushed a flagon on the table towards Alain, its contents audibly sloshing within it. "It's more something to pass the time." she yawned, putting her hand to her mouth. "I've made it clear to most of them that I have less interest in them than I do counting fleas on a goat. Those who couldn't understand were given an alternative lesson... I wonder, what can I teach you?"

Parental Pleasantries

"I had been considering redirecting your letters to your cell, but I feel it would have been poor taste." Anthony replied, ensuring his daughter didn't feel too appreciated. "All your belongings should be as they were, your mother had kept everything waiting for your return... it is not like I would know the first thing to do with a clothes iron. Do try to look presentable if you happen to meet her Majesty. She may actually be bold enough to send you back to prison!"

Iron Pants

Serge's entrance to the armoury hadn't been met with too much fuss, to them he was simply another mercenary looking to buy kit. However, with the presence of Adele gave the man at least one familiar face in the building. None of the other patrons were particularly noteworthy, although one young man, probably a little younger than Serge himself was eyeing some of the swords intently.

A small, satisfied smile had made it onto Claire's face, pleased that she'd managed to make it through to Ezekiel, but the gravity of his words wiped it away almost as quickly as it had come. "No, I've seen it too." she shook her head, hardly believing what she was hearing. "The red sky, the thick mist and all of the life there was... corrupt. The world bent to his will." She'd already experienced it, but...

"You said you'd been there for three years?" she asked, leaning forwards in anticipation. "How? How did you survive it? And how did you manage to escape?" Their party had lasted a matter of minutes, and even then they'd barely avoided casualties. If he hadn't drawn Malaphar's ire, perhaps it was possible, but if it was something else entirely... maybe there was a trick to it they could learn. "We want to stop him, Ezekiel." she declared, straightening back up again. "We know how dangerous Malaphar is, and I doubt we've seen the last of him. Anything you can tell us could be vital." 

Whatever this Ezekiel had to say, Cass wasn't quite paying much attention to it. All this talk of Malaphar was frustrating. Was he so woven into their group, still? why did Father never tell either of us about this? Was he hoping that we'd simply never run into this man? It would've been better to have us prepared, rather than figuring this all out on our own... And now, he'll likely be dead before we return, so we can't even ask him. It's so troublesome... W-Well, wait, Tobias... Perhaps he'd know something.

It was an idea, for when they got back. Cass was glad to know what this world looked like, or the briefest imaginings of a picture of it. "Alain didn't bother to tell me all of that when he told me of Malaphar's World," Cass idly put in, not interrupting Claire's wonderings of stopping the demon mage. While she was questioning the insane man, Cass spotted Freya getting talked up by someone far less crazy looking. His claims were crazy, thought.

"You? Maybe you should work again on scaring them first, before you make claims of doing more... If you'd been through what we all have, you'd be very happy about being in that cozy cell... What is it with inmates and thinking they're so tough? I can't understand it. You're all just a bunch of malnourished lunatics. Nothing intimidating about that. A swift axe to the gut puts any of you out of commission in but a moment's notice." Cass sighed. Arteria and Apellon were scary. These people, with her perspective, they were nothing more than overconfident dogs, barking at things far bigger than them.

"You would be surprised the places this gentleman has managed to find himself," said, trying to stifle a laugh. The sewers, the void, and a twisted reality. One of those things was perhaps less impressive compared to the other two, but it was the most fitting in context of the conversation at least.   

"Though I don't think you're going to be able to teach me much," he said, having himself a bit of a drink. "Not if you're anything like the last woman who said that to me." He thought back to the brief conversation he'd had with Morganna on the boat. How clever she must have presumed herself to be, trying to talk down to him like he was still a novice. He'd had his fun exceeding her expectations though, so he couldn't be too upset.   

"Still, if you have ample time to be wasting in a place like this--on people like these--I take it you've been unemployed for some time?" He pushed the mug away, sliding it back towards the woman. Part of him wondered why she was wasting away time at a bar instead of putting more effort into looking for work. He didn't particularly care, but still. 

"Are you fond of traveling?"

Another mouthy criminal who hasn't learned anything from his time. "I'm used to dealing with louts like you, and I'm quicker than my armor lets on. Of course you're not here for mouthing off- that doesn't differentiate you from anyone." Freya glared at the bandaged man. "You don't seem to have taken hits very well, anyway, with that bandaged eye of yours. I wonder how well your other will get along with my lance if you try anything more than banter... it's certainly thin enough to pierce through bars."

"Never was very handy", Angus admits to his senior. "And, eh... not sure you've seen, but I've been runnin' on guts an' a prayer ever since we got off that boat!" Enemies his better seemed to crawl from the sand in that county, and one was even coming here! Nelon had lived through the same nightmare he had, under more of the worm's ire: more than proof enough of his strength. Angus claps Nelon's back with his free hand, nodding his agreement. "I'd be honored. If you're willin', we could even start right a--"

The bear-wrangling boy could not mistake that sound. Perhaps Nelon, that merchant, or the passersby that still stepped wide could, but Angus knew rather sooner that the interruption was not of his own making. It was warm and damp, and worst of all it slid! The disgust passed quickly, enough for Angus to find a spot of humor to his cub's poor timing. 

"Mmmmay not be righ' away~!" 

At least Nelon had heard worse from the mooncalf. 

Broken Spirit

"No man or woman, no matter their creed should have to learn the horrors that befell me." Ezekiel groaned, shaking as he recounted the past. Every feature of his face radiated a great terror, his shattered sanity crumbling away further with every moment. "His vision endless within his own world... his omnipotence rivalling that of Engel. To be chased every waking moment of each day, to sleep with one eye open, fearful that the darkness shall invade the realm of dreams. No! Within such a world exist no dreams, only nightmares! Death cannot become unto him within his realm, it is to try and drown a fish in water! Whether by blade or by flame, his existence... his plane of being can only be escaped by his own will..."

Panting heavily, Ezekiel hurried forwards grabbing the bars of his cell. "For the light cannot touch me any longer! He brings terror to life, the devil sucking all from my existence... only Engel's acceptance of my soul will bring the end." he shrieked, his cries echoing down the hall.

The other prisoner was perhaps less wild in his madness, but his words were not much less unsettling. "It took several axes to the gut to convince me to enter this cozy cell. Seven guards died before I could be contained, even now they do not dare remove me from here. It is less of a punishment for me and more protection for the public." he replied, standing up and walking right up to the bars, just at the maximum reach of his chains. "Allow me out and see how different I am. Or are your abilities so lacking that you not only require armour, but chains, bars and starvation to protect your soft delicious interior."

Belial's Babes

Lilith accepted the flagon back from Alain, taking a healthy swig from the vessel. "My last outing was rather profitable, and with the rumours of war, I have no real desire to travel to other nations alone." she replied, leaning into Alain's personal space. "But if I were to have a fine gentleman to accompany me, I would perhaps be tempted by such an offer."

People around the pair had started shooting glances at them, averting their eyes as soon as Alain noticed. Nobody dared say a thing though, even the ugliest of brutes made sure to avoid making eye contact with Alain. "So, where would one go if given the opportunity?" Lilith asked, still very close to Alain. "Would you visit the wilds of Magonsaete... or the depths of Belial's lair?"

Banjoes and Bears

Nelon winced as Angus battered his spine, his injuries from Malaphar apparently not fully resolved. Geoffrey's interjection over Angus' trousers left Nelon completely speechless, both the sight and the smell were beyond words for the man to describe. One of the men at the stalls leaned over, looking Angus up and down. An older man with a big nose and mustache, he appeared to show some sympathy for Angus.

"Yer be in luck, I got both cloth fer yer bear an' trousers for those legs." he commented, holding his exceptionally large snout closed with his fingers. "Never thought I'd see a youngster mad enough to try and raise a bear, was yer missus really that bad?"

"Listen, boy..." He may have been a man, really, but his form looked not older than Cass. "I've been through things that would make even you pale. My brother has been through worse than that... I do not have to prove the whining of a dog to know I am right. If you were foolish enough to lose whatever sanity you have and get yourself locked up for it, that is your loss. Perhaps you will do better if there is, at all, a next time for your pour soul." Why should I bother to entertain this fool any longer? This is a waste of time.

Cass jumped a bit as Ezekiel grasped his bars, shrieking his cries of Engel out to the entire hall. Cass shivered. "Claire, really, he's lost. I admire your attempts to get something done here, but this is not proving worthwhile..." She sighed, straightening her back out. They had so many better things to do than be here. Really, Cass was here to keep an eye on Claire and make sure she knew where the woman was, not for any wish to see deprived men. I talk a big game, but even if I am stronger than most here, they're likely desperate. You know what they say about a beaten dog backed into a corner...

Edited by Nanami Touko

Claire quickly edged away from Ezekiel's shaking form, glancing back towards Cass with an expression half-way between apprehension and disappointment. She understood the princess' sentiments, but the mage felt like she was so close. They'd finally met another who'd survived an encounter with Malaphar, even in his current state, was there nothing to gain from it? "One last try." Claire muttered, aimed towards both her companions and herself.

"Ezekiel." Her voice was firmer now, commanding his attention the best he could. "Is this what Engel would want from you? I know that Malaphar is terrifying, but wouldn't Engel want you to be brave? To do everything you can to keep the people of Angelcynn safe from him?" Feeling a little more confident now, she took a step forward again, looking Ezekiel directly in the eye. "You can help us to stop him, Ezekiel. Just talk to us. How did you manage to escape? What was different leading up until that point?" 

He said that Malaphar only allowed his hostages to escape of his own will, but then how did their own party manage to find a way out? He claimed to be inside for years, but Malaphar himself mentioned that didn't have time to kill them all. There was a lot of information that didn't match up, and it was difficult to differentiate the truth from the man's mad ravings.

Edited by SB.

For the scant few moments that Alain spent diverting his attention away from Lilith, he managed to catch furtive glances piercing him from all directions. He wasn't sure if he should feel amused, or wary. The most likely explanation though, was that everyone was quietly cursing him, wondering how the 'badger in a dress' had managed to last more than a minute in conversation without being "given an alternative lesson" as Lilith had put it.    

Her mention of Belial put a playful smirk on his face. Among nobles and royals he had to be guarded, but here in anonymity, the dense irony of her words were far too palpable for him to simply ignore. Was she testing him? Simply trying to entice him by acting devious? Or was she perhaps coyly trying to hint at something? Either way, he felt content. Alain dipped close towards her, his lips gently brushing against her ear. "If the heart is willing, then perhaps..."      

"But first, a proposal." He straighten himself up, moving away from Lilith and creating some distance between them. "I will admit I'm finding myself increasingly enthralled by the pleasure of your company Miss, however, I also happen to value practicality." He spoke slowly, keeping his gaze level. She was sultry, and refined yes--but he had enough sense not to be so easily deceived by mere seduction. 

"Perhaps you might be interested in showcasing your skill at the coliseum this evening? Although your last outing was apparently rather fruitful, I'd still be willing to sponsor your entry as a courtesy. If you perform well, you can keep the excess for yourself--and then we can discuss the matters of contract. If not, well... I'm afraid you'll have to return to frivolity among brutes and barbarians for some time longer," he mused.       

Soul Salvage

Ezkiel's mad shouting simmered down, the man ignoring Claire for a solid minute before daring to look at her once more. "There is no escape... Engel could not protect me from his vile realm. Chased as an animal, handled as the earth beneath his feet... the world is burned into the very soul, those who have walked in the land of evil..." he rambled, his lip quivering in terror. "For he chooses fate in his own, as Engel does with us..."

Feran was almost disappointed with Cass' unwillingness to play along, she could see him growing bored as a child would with an old toy. "Perhaps next time shall be sooner than you expect." he muttered, returning to the back of his cell. "I'll remember your face, I'm rather fond of it."

A different guard had started walking down the hall, stopping at Feran's cell and banging his sword on the bars. "That's enough talk from you, one-eye. If we didn't have that bugger in the high security cell, you'd be in it for your mouth alone." he barked, glaring at the prisoner. "Yer doing the right thing ignoring him, miss. If we had our way he'd be next on the chopping block... there's someone else comin' for Ezekiel today, heavens knows how he's so popular with the ladies. Apparently she's been trying with him for a little while, maybe you can get some sense from her."

Constance may now post!

Date Night

Lilith watched Alain intently, taking particular interest as he moved away to make a little more space for himself. Giving a cheeky grin, she started laughing, amused by his own smile. "As if you'd go around sacrificing children, I'm sure you have far better hobbies than that." she teased, puting her index finger on Alain's chest. "It's an unusual first date, but I'll bite. Perhaps I can convince you that I'm more than just a pretty face?"

The other bar goers again avoided eye contact with Alain. In fact, the pair had been given a lot of space, an empty circle forming around them. "Don't worry about them." Lilith assured, giving the rest of the bar a friendly wave. "I have a bit of a reputation... so people don't get in my way."

Alain has a date?

Constance walked briskly passed the cells, straight towards the people surrounding the end one. "What are you doing here?" she snapped at them. "Why are you getting them all riled up? They have enough troubles without you harassing them."

Couldn't escape... but he's here now. Does that mean that Malaphar let him out? Claire nodded absentmindedly at the guard, barely registering what he was telling them. There were other things on her mind now. If she were to take Ezekiel at his word, Malaphar releasing him of his own accord was the logical conclusion, but that only raised more questions - even if she were to put stock into ramblings of a mad man. Why did Malaphar keep him alive the whole time? Was it some strange advanced form of torture? What did he gain from that?

Before she could spend too much time thinking, a new arrival scolded them - an elderly woman who Claire was surprised to see arrive on her own, considering the slums they'd had to travel through to get here. She's either incredibly brave, or very senile. Perhaps it was both. Either way, she seemed furious at their group - based on a presumption which annoyed the mage slightly. "We're here to see the same person, I think." she replied, assuming this was who the guard had referred towards earlier. "The others just started talking to us on their own." Although Cass and Freya really didn't need to respond... 

"That would make you the second person to say that... Yes, yes, make your threats, I've heard them all." Now this, this wasn't grand standing, Cass had unfortunately heard this, or similar, from one insane woman. The man seemingly lost his interest anyway, leaving her to shrug off the conversation and start gently tugging on Claire's robes. "Claire, you've given it your last try, come--"

Before she could finish, an elderly woman started blustering her way into the cells, calling them out. Wonderful. "And who do you presume yourself to be?" Cass was not one to be barked at by strangers, especially not by the elderly. She'd had far too much of that in her family. "We have business here, nor can we control the inmates. If they can't handle themselves around their superiors enough to stay quiet, far be it from you to blame us." With that entirely out of the way, Cass resumed tugging at Claire, a bit harder this time.

"Come now, let's go put you in some pretty clothes. Much better than standing around this dreary place for any longer. He's just repeating things, now."

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Let you free? Ridiculous. You're there for a reason." Freya's words and Cass's similar sentiment proved to be true when another guard informed them of the prisoner's lack of virtues. On the other hand, Claire seemed to have little luck with Ezekiel, and an old woman coming to chastise the trio did nothing to help. "Riled up? That the inmates are so rowdy is hardly our fault. You'd be better off assessing the situation before blaming us." If you can at that age...

As Adeltrudis browsed the wares of the armoury, she noted the stark contrast compared to the blacksmith she had just been to. The armoury's stock of weapons was sparse, mostly standard faire. Cheap and durable, simple to use... it was quite unlike the more extravagant custom pieces at the blacksmith, but that was fairly expected. What they lacked in interesting weaponry, the armoury certainly made up for in, well, armour. They had multiple displays of varying weight and toughness, each offering protection for a different kind of consumer. Looking them over with some interest, Adele turned her head slightly at the sound of the door opening, mostly on instinct, only to witness a familiar face enter.

"Oh, Serge. Perusing the equipment as well, are you?"

"Ah, L-" Serge caught himself. "Adele. I didn't expect to see you here." He walked forward towards the counter, ignoring all the others that were looking at the equipment adorned everywhere in the shop. "Yeah, I guess you could say that." Despite his intentions, he really didn't want to admit he was just looking for someone to talk to. He looked about. There were many different weapons of quality, but the most he spotted was weapons made with standard iron. There was also several different armors on display, including chainmail and leather. "So...Anything caught your eye?"

"Well, I was looking at some of the armour available, though I've already purchased some specialty weaponry, I am wondering whether I should consult Owen before getting anything else... it might be for the best." Adeltrudis replied, shaking her head after a few moments.

"Yes, I suppose it probably is. I recall us having a light set of armour like this one, and I had been interested in it, but it must have been taken by someone who left our group at some point or another. I'll ask Owen of it, the next I see him." Adele continued, gesturing to a hard leather cuirass on display, before turning to Serge again.

"And what of you? Do you see anything that sticks out at you?"

"Hmm...Not a whole lot. Armor's nice, but it weighs my body down, so I can't move as well as I do." Of course, this was coming from a guy who let himself carry a shield before he was hired, but back then he was by himself, so he would be forced to take every enemy he fought on his own. "The weapons look OK, though. It's a good idea to stock up on these kinds of low cost ones. They're cheap, but they're effective, and easier to swing around." He paused, then sighed. "Of course, that's only if we have to space or expenses to buy so many." He scratched the side of his forehead with his right forefinger. They really weren't high on funds, were they?

"...Well, it's up to you what we buy. I won't complain if we get any armor for the rest of us, but I don't think I'll be wearing it any time soon."

"Yes, they're simple and reliable, but I believe we have enough stockpiled that buying more at the moment would be unwise. In the end, it's Owen's decision where our funds go, of course." Adele replied with a shrug, looking over the wares one last time. 

"Well, I think I'll consult Owen before I purchase anything else. If you've any more business here, you're free to remain."

"I'm here to see all of them" Constance said gruffly. "And you'd do well to remember where you are. This isn't a prison. These people are sick. Would you antagonise someone in a hospital? If they're rude to you then ignore them. Are you so proud you feel the need to respond to every slight? And you!" she turned to face the guard. "What are you thinking letting armed people in here. What if one of them" she waved her hands at the cells, "gets their hands on a weapon. You'd be the one that has to disarm them. Do you even know who these strangers are or what they want?"