Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Cass gripped Owen's hand tighter, staring this duke down, the sorrow clear in her eyes to be hearing all of this. No news of their father, the capital falling, nothing at all... She'd hoped not to cry here, to be strong, but... Luckily, Ethel had cut him off, and offered her what she could. Offered the both of them-- Cass couldn't tell how Owen was handling all of this. Or Adele... Or Angus, even. I don't think I've ever felt this vulnerable... Well, not like this. Not emotionally... Physically, maybe, but... All these senators, knowing so much of my home, while I know nothing... It's... I hate this.

"It is alright, Queen Ethel... I... I must be strong, in the face of this. I will have time for tears later." She straightened up her back, staring at the Queen with her resolve, before turning to hear what else Duke Aldus had to say. Angus had brought up the question of their retaliation, but Cass was wondering about something else, instead. "Queen Ethel, if I may address you... What do you wish from us in exchange for this help?" Owen would handle the negotiations, but the question had to be breached. "You've been nothing but kind in seeing us in, and seeing to us, but certainly your aid doesn't come for free." Perhaps it wasn't the best moment to interrupt with it, though it had to be breached eventually. Cass met the queen's steely gaze and hoped her own would hold.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen took the information on his father's whereabouts slowly. Perhaps because he had sort of accepted his father was not long for this world, and that it would be hard to see him deteriorate further, the shock of his life being further endangered did not feel so. I can only hopes he passes on in peace, and not with a Deiran's sword through his throat.

The way Queen Ethel handled Raewald's nobility was rather envy-worthy for the young prince. Duke Aldus seemed like a meek individual, but for the whole table to respect her every movement so was rather different than the prince's experiences in Wyke. Certainly it could not be said the Wykian houses slighted him or the position Owen stood for, it was just a matter of his presence being mostly ceremonial. The Dukes and Earls had already set course for the actions of Wyke without him, but his approval was necessary as law made it. Of course, it could be that things were set to change with his Regent appointment, but still...

"If forcing Deira to a defensive is plausible, then I agree it is the best course." It wasn't optimal, rather the opposite as far as logistics went. Fighting on Deira's home turf with their forces retreated to defend the kingdom put the might of Wyke and Raewald at a disadvantage, even with the numbers somewhat evened. Still, it could mean a diplomatic resolution, as well as sparing Myrcia and what would be left of Wyke from harrassment. The chance things weren't to be that easy was high, with Owen counting his luck. I wonder how Malaphar plans to fan the flames of war this time... "How viable would it be to push into Deira's capital and instill the sense of vulnerability further? What other options have you considered?"

Cass' question made sense, and Prince Owen made no motion to retract it, only a calm nod. He could feel her agitation from the grip in his own hand, and while he felt he would word it differently, he emphasized with Cass' concerns. "Wyke's forces are incredibly modest when put against Deira's or Raewald's. We've fought with words more often than swords, in meetings like these." At least, during his father's reign. "We'd have preferred the terms to have remained pacific between the kingdoms, but now it seems inevitable. I would like to understand my choices pristinely, for the future of the kingdoms."

Missing in Action

There was a silence after Owen spoke, Ethel seemed almost impressed by his response. "A full attack on Deira would be catastrophic to all sides involved. With military might matched, the victor will only win by a narrow amount. Attacking more than we need to would result in the deaths of thousands... deaths that I deem unnecessary." Ethel replied, laying out her logic to the prince. "Deira are unlikely to be willing to lose their entire army defending, but you do raise an interesting prospect. If we were to force their hand, make them feel truly vulnerable... perhaps they would be more willing to halt their senseless war."

Ethel gave Cass a sly smile, but at least appeared willing to give an answer. "Deira and Raewald have never gotten along well, it would be very much in my interests to ensure that Deira don't try to take over the entire continent. A partnership with Wyke would help us produce a safety that current times truly need." she announced, all her men nodding around her agreeably. "Prince Owen, it all depends on what role you would be willing to play in our plan. I would understand if you did not want to get invovled, but General Tarasque intends to strike a costal city near the Myrcian border. It would not be unreasonable for you to return to Wyke from there... but at the same time, if you felt that taking Deira's capital was more vital, your assistance with the northen attack could tip things in our favour."

There was a muttering among Ethel's nobles, mentions of alliances with Wyke and Owen as a military commander were the most notable points. Tapping her hand on the table politely, Ethel brought them all back to silence. "You do not need to decide now. Even if we were to dispatch our forces now, it would take weeks to arrive at Wyke." Ethel continued, her presence in the room even larger than before. "Your homeland is as big a priority as stopping Deira, Prince Owen, Princess Cassandra. I hope that we can work together to return Angelcynn to a time of peace." 

Smooth Criminal

Sidney had managed to avoid her mother the entire morning - it appeared that she had left shortly before Sidney's arrival. However, it was inevitable that they would meet once more. Anthony had sat himself comfortably in his favour armchair with a good book, knowing too well the sounds of his wife opening the door. "Well, Charlotte. I think it would be best if you were to say hello to your mother." he suggested, focusing on his reading. "I would recommend a delicate approach, she did not take your sentencing nor your escape terribly well."

Cass couldn't help her smile in return. The queen has given them an answer, but not a full one. How tricky... No asking either of them for an agreement, no signings, no price... Whatever the queen wished for, it must've been something quite special to not announce it to her board... Or, perhaps, this war was simply so vital in stopping that a price could come after success. Whatever the case, it wasn't her turn to speak now. She nodded at the answer she'd been given, and turned to Owen. We're almost done here... Maybe. Would he wish to strike at the heart of Deira, or find peace back home? Cass didn't quite know... Given Owen and how he normally was, he'd wish to return home at a moment's notice, but...

Since his decision to remove Emmet, he's been a bit different. He's still the same caring man I've grown up with, but there's... An agency to him. I do hope he knows how to control it. I've only started learning...

Morganna's... boyfriend? "Good enough, I suppose," he sighed. Claire had told him to slow down, but what else was there for him to even ask? They'd have to monitor her over the course of the next few days to see if she ended up forgetting more than just Serge, or if she ended up remembering him. But for right now though, he wasn't sure what to do. 

He'd practically signed himself to a life and afterlife in servitude to Belial. By comparison, Emily had seemingly gotten the deal of a lifetime--or multiple lifetimes assuming she was truly immortal. He sunk back into his chair, feeling defeated. "I just... I don't know. At first glance she seems well enough. It's quite clear she doesn't remember Serge, but other than that she seems about as well as one might hope." He looked over to both Sebastian and Freya, and shrugged his shoulders.

"Sebastian, can you tell me about Baleros? And also how Lady Claire came into possession of the vial, if you've any idea?" 

"Mother?" Oh... Sidney audibly gulped, different thoughts on how to handle the situation racing through her head, some more delicate than others. "I'll see what I can do," she muttered, walking down the stairs. Still, she made sure to keep her head up at the very least. If I act too meek, she'll probably be even madder, like I didn't learn anything at all. But obviously the same tone I took with Father won't do, either.

She paused after walking through the front hall to the door. Her mother, Elvira, was only slightly taller than her, with shorter blonde hair and brown eyes that always seemed angry to her- though perhaps especially right now. "It's nice to see you again, mother," Sidney started off. "I've been gone a long time, and done some things I've regretted... I know you're disappointed in those. I'm sorry for all that, too, and I want you to know that." She made sure not to avert her gaze, though with the stare she received, she was tempted to.

The thump on his head quickly snapped him out of the depressive trance that held him, as he was soon filled with anger and confusion at Claire's actions. He quickly turned to her, prepared to shout an obscenity or two at her, questioning her over the reason to be hit with a book, but he soon found himself listening to her words instead. He calmed, and thought on it, looking out into the distance once more.

"No...No, I can't say they have. Even after everything we went through, Morganna was the only one who said anything bad about it. And Morganna was the only one that left when I gave 'em the choice. The rest, they...they stayed." He wasn't sure what to say, after that. All this time he had been  assuming he wasn't good enough for his crew, and that they simply said nothing because he hadn't said anything to thme. But as he thought, time and time again, they had all spoken highly of him, with nearly every decision he made, no matter the death that had surrounded them. Even if he wasn't entirely sure why, he knew that whoever stood with him, Hans and Lars and Larissa, would probably follow him to the ends of the world. Or, at the very least, the end of the contract.

"I guess...I guess you're right, Claire." He turned to her, once again. This time with a look of far less stress across his face. "You've been right about a lots of things, lately. Mostly about how to look at all this...and find the best in it."

Edited by Dandragon

“For Engel’s sake, Scuttle, stay still, please.”

Scuttle became acutely aware of the fact that this was the third time this week that she had been knocked out cold after a forgotten night.

The first thing that she needed to do was take stock of the situation. Pause and take a step back and think for a moment even though her head hurt like an opera lady singing flat, before she did something stupid and completelyfreakout.

Where was she? A ragged blanket ensconced her pins-and-needles body, and sunlight seeped in from the windows. So it was morning. The raw sunlight burned at her irises. Pain was a regular thing to her now, always throbbing at the back of her mind.

Well-trained eyes scanned the room, focusing slowly upon the items: the wooden wardrobes, the white-washed walls, a bookshelf, and on it volumes upon volumes of storybooks. Someone tiny had scrawled something onto its frame: SKUTTLE. 

This was her orphanage.

She was . . . she was back in Wyke?

That was . . . quick. The boat trip to Magonsaete alone took longer.

A gentle touch caressed her downwards to lie back flat on her back, warm shivers creeping up her spine at the tactile memory of it.

“Easy, Scuttle.”

She glanced at the figure, dumbstruck. Engels above . . .

“Javier,” she breathed.

Nebulous orbs of pallid-white glowed at the tips of his staff as he swept them across her body. “I don’t know what you were fighting, but they certainly did a number on you. The horse was practically dragging you along by the time you arrived.”

It hurt. Seeing him again, gazing back at him, him smiling back. It hurt.

Something inside her wanted to leap. Another wanted to question. But it would have to wait. 

“Listen, the city is under attack. Deira’s planning a full-scale invasion. We need to get out of here.”

“What are you talking about? The war’s over. We won.”

“Javier, they burned Perte down and they’re on their way. We have to go. There’s no way we can defend while Prince Owen’s gone.”

Javier blinked owlishly, “Prince? You must have hit your head hard. King Owen hasn’t gone anywhere.”

It was Scuttle’s turn to be confused. “King? What are you talking about?”

Javier pulled the curtains of the window back to reveal the streets of Wyke, “See for yourself.”

She stood up, bed creaking. A parade. A statue of Prince Owen. Very much intact, not in flames or the marching presence of a thousand death-screaming foreign legionnaires. Princess Cassandra and Lady Adele waving to the passers-by atop their mount, hands intertwined.

“But that . . . that shouldn’t be . . .” 

“Scuttle?” Javier pressed a hand to her forehead, “You’re a bit warm.”

How did she get here so quickly. She racked her brain. Why couldn’t she remember?

She stumbled backwards, confused. She had killed the entire mercenary group, learned of the invasion, and made her way on horseback to the nearest port. 

Now she was here. Wyke was fine. Javier must have taken the vial. Owen was king. The Pope was ok with Princess Cass and Adele. She took a heavy breath. Everything was so familiar and yet not. Everything was here and yet something was missing.

Something everything something everything

She felt a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Susan, you’re scaring me,” Javier said.

She pressed her fingers to her temples as she begun to dive into her thoughts. This whole thing wasn’t right. Her brain was on fire, ideas and thoughts and clues and points sounding off in so many places. Orphanage, time, Javier, Jeeves, sorry-to-bring-you-the-news, my-condolences, his-names-Joeffrey, I’m-not-actually-married-to-him, you’re-becoming-more-like-father, thinking thinking thinking thinking remember

Susan?

“What’s the matter? Please, Susan, talk to me,” Javier just about pleaded.

Her eyes combed the room. It was exactly as she had remembered the place, with the scorch marks and crayon scrawls right where she had left them. The leaky ceiling, the missing tiles, even the constantly dripping tap in the distance filling up their bath time bucket. SKUTTLE.

Exactly as she had remembered. Some fifteen years ago. Nothing had changed.

“Oh, you’re good. You’re really, really good.”

Her fingers moved up to strangle Javier’s neck, and she pressed, pressed as hard as she could, until the old man’s veins popped, silencing out his gasps of surprise. His eyes bulged out in pain.

“Not good enough though.”

“Scuttle!” he croaked, “Scuttle . . . what . . . what are you doing?”

“Fighting,” she answered slyly, weakly, “I’m no stranger to deception. How did you do it? Hallucinogens? Searching my mind for memories? I’m not falling for your tricks, you hear me!” She screamed, watching his eyes roll over, the blood in his veins turn a frigid icy blue, “I’m not falling for it!”

“Scuttle . . . stop, you’re hurting —“ Javier’s voice rolled into crackling electricity. As did Javier himself. He flickered out of her vision like static, contorting out of shape, snapping all around her. The orphanage boomed and burned.

She smiled dangerously, tightening her grip, “You can stop the charade. It’s not going to work anymore. It’s good, but you made a large mistake. Show yourself!” The floodgates of her mind opened to return all the missing memories of the past hour. A moment of carelessness. A split second of a magic spell. Remember.

She was never in Wyke. She was still back on the road to Tytila’s port, trying to find transport to get back. When she had stumbled upon a camp that wasn’t marked on the mercenary’s map, and her last waking memory had been the all-encompassing light of a magical spell.

Light coalesced. Cascades of colour flowed through air, colours of sounds and smells, and the figure formerly Javier went through a series of evolutions: Prince Owen, Serge, Malaphar, Princess Cassandra, until finally it settled into one true form.

“What the . . .”

Surprise overrode her anger. Scuttle immediately released her choke-hold and took a few steps back, trying to take it all in. “What the hell are you doing here?”

She watched the person coughing on the ground in disbelief. The real ground, the wilderness of the road, with leaves and trees and dirt.

It was Morgana.

Queen Ethel's warnings were sound. Prince Owen knew the risk was high, but Ethel's word added a perspective he hadn't considered. A failure would mean more than he'd calculated --already a big loss itself, but sparking a full-blown war with high resentments between the kingdoms was sure to tear Angelcynn apart. The whole land would become vulnerable, except for perhaps Whitwar. Is this Malaphar's desire?

Queen Ethel's prospect was interesting... but Owen knew he couldn't fully commit to it with Wyke's capital in danger. No, Wyke lacked the power itself, but could Owen make a difference as commander. Could I find an alternative, perhaps? Wyke needed help, but that would give Deira more time to wage war and regroup. Yet, Wyke's land and people were his responsibility. Above all.

"Queen Ethel, your patience and wisdom are truly appreciated." Owen locked gaze with the monarch, a pensive frown hinting his consideration to her offer. "I feel it is the best I can give you to think on this matter and make my decision carefully. A lot will hinge on our hands, from this point on, and I appreciate forming this alliance." At least, it was settled.

Wyke and Raewald were to cooperate.

May Engel's light illuminate my mind.

Freya nodded at Emily's recognition. She watched as Claire went off to follow the mercenary out to the hall, smiling at the mage slightly to hopefully lighten the air a bit. "Sorry if I came off as rude. I don't like to talk all that much..." I seem nice? Maybe I am just too serious... "It certainly wasn't by any order of Princess Cassandra's. I've just been used to doing a lot on my own, so I don't have long discussions very much, and tasks that might seem monotonous to other people don't bore me easily, so I can get very focused on those. Still, it's nice to talk to you. I'm glad you're doing okay." She wasn't exactly sure how to explain the gravity of what she clearly forgot to the young mage, but Alain didn't seem certain on the subject either, so she let it drop. Maybe Sebastian's explanation would shed light on the situation.

Combined Might

"That's fine, Prince Owen. I wouldn't want you to make a choice without careful consideration. I hear your father was very much the same. My late husband had said that he would always wait until he knew what he was in for before deciding on his actions." Ethel replied, content with Owen's response. Standing herself up, she began a bold declaration. "Regardless of your choice, Wyke will be freed from the grasp of Deira, and Deira shall not continue to threaten the continent. If I am known in history for nothing else, I want to be known as the queen who stood up to Deira's tyrannical ways."

Ethel's advisors began to applaud, either out of obligation or they truly felt the message had hit home. "Are there any other questions from your people? I would hate for you to go through all the trouble of meeting with me to go away without knowing all that you needed to." she added, looking at her advisers smugly before sitting down. "If you ever wish to speak to me in private, all you need to do is ask one of my guards. It would be far better to chat in a less formal setting, no?"

Fallen Beast

Emily laughed, playfully amused by Freya's demeanour. "It's hard to talk to people when everyone's so fancy." Emily replied, itching the back of her left hand. "I don't mind though, you can talk to me as much as you like! Uncle Morgan might be Wyke's Court Magician, but I always like to be plain old Emily. Lady Emily of Edion is way too hard to spell!"

Leaving the two women to chat, Sebastian slipped alongside Alain and Lars. "The reports of Baleros were rather limited. Normally Master Javier writes detailed reports after each assignment, but his demise left the notes on the Dettard expedition woefully incomplete." Sebastian informed, removing a roll of parchment from his satchel. "The most we know is that he was transformed into a hulking monster, most likely by the contents of the vial. Other than being the son of a Magonsaetean warchief, we have no information on his background before the encounter. It may be best that you speak to Baron Kearney, he is likely to be the most familiar with Baleros after doing battle with him."

Lars looked relatively uneasy, the talk of a monster sharing Emily's revival didn't sit well with him. "I only heard of this Baleros, but he don't sound too human. Those twins weren't right either. You think Emily will end up like any of them?" Lars asked, clenching his fist. "Dying's one thing, but turning into a monster ain't right."

Mama Mia

Sidney could see her mother standing in the hall, her eyes livid and her face sporting a disgruntled scowl. "It's one disappointment after another, Charlotte." Elvira replied, stomping forwards towards her daughter. "I'm not sure what's worse, going to prison for something so stupid or escaping it and strolling around the countryside until you felt like coming home. Did you know how many times the city guards came to ask about you? It's been nothing but worry for the last year. I'm glad that you're back and safe, but why have you come back now? It's so strange for you to suddenly appear completely unannounced."

Anthony was peering down subtly from the top of the stairs, keeping an eye on the situation. Whilst he likely had his daughter's wellbeing at heart, challenging his wife at a time like this did not appear to be something he was quite willing to do.

Cass had to admit, the queen knew how to grand stand. Whether or not they were empty words, time would tell, but at the moment they felt like nothing of the sort. Perhaps there is someone we can finally trust to help us... Between getting back stabbed by her own nobility and running into nothing but trouble through Magonsaete, the warm feeling of someone reliable was good to bask in. Speaking to her of something in private... Cass felt her worries return, and a lovely wash of anxiety hit her.

"Queen Ethel," she spoke, unsure if her body would follow through with the rest of the request. The frog stuck in her throat was difficult to overcome. "I... Myself and... Adeltrudis, would like to speak with you in private, if that would be acceptable." The words fell heavy from her mouth, a dire change from how easily she had been speaking moments before. This is not some grave issue, this... Is just... I should not be asking her this, yet here I am... Good, Gods. With one last glace at Herman's daughter, Cass tried to quiet her issues; her request had been posed and there was no way to take it back now.

The remainder of the meeting had passed by without much interest from Adeltrudis. Things had gone about as she had expected they would, Owen offering his support to Queen Ethel's cause, in return for a promise of Raewald's might to be used against Deira, to try and take back their own home. A bit of theatrics from the Queen herself wasn't exactly expected as much, but not overtly surprising. There really hadn't been much of a point in her coming along at all, aside from hearing about her own father's capture second-hand instead of third... though to be honest third-hand would have been preferable, she wouldn't have need try to keep up appearances after hearing it. Still, things had a way of not going as expected when Princess Cassandra Gaffney. When she had asked for a private audience with the Queen, along with Adele herself, at first, the Herman heiress was unsure what her angle was. It only took her a few moments to figure it out.

When Cass looked her way, Adele couldn't help but bite her lip, a bit unsure. Of all the times to bring this up, was now really the best one? They had a lot of things on their plate, and were at a critical point of still trying to retain favour with the Queen, and yet... well, what was done was done. All she could do was try to give Cass a re-assuring smile, letting her face relax. Hopefully things would go well...

Thank goodness for that... The mage was relieved that that she didn't have to take any further action to snap Serge out of it, because she really struggled to understand whatever he was beating himself up for in the first place. "I'm glad that I could help, but erm," There was something concerning that he mentioned. "Morganna left?" Claire had been hoping that she could help explain some things, but it looked like she might be on her own. "That's... unfortunate, but there's nothing to be done about it." 

She was curious as to what caused her to leave, but considering Serge's lack of stability currently, Claire thought it better to simply not ask. His last comment made her frown a little, unsure of the praise he'd given her. "I don't know if I'd call it optimism or anything like that. It's more like..." She paused for a few moments, mulling it over. "Stubbornness? I suppose."

With all that was going on, they couldn't afford to start doubting themselves. Claire herself was doing her best to learn about Malaphar because she was tired of having no sway on things. Seeing how powerless their party was against Malpahar and now the might of Deira had made one thing very clear - if they didn't take action soon, they would struggle to control their own destiny. They had to do whatever they could.

Having drifted into thought briefly, she broke the silence with a small sigh. Having considered all of that, the mage had a change of heart. "Actually, Serge, would you be able to tell me why Morganna left?" she asked with a frown. It was likely a sensitive topic, but trying to avoid stepping on toes shouldn't have been at the top of her priority list. "Do you know where she might have gone? I'd like to speak with her again, if I get the chance." 

It was frustrating that Morganna had left when Claire most needed her expertise... although she hadn't exactly been much help before. Is Malaphar so far above her level that she didn't even know that their magic was related? "Hm..." She rested face in her left palm as she contemplated. Her face seemed focused, but not on anything in the room. It was mentioned in the book, perhaps she never read it? It wasn't impossible that Morganna had used a different book, if she hadn't, there were some disturbing implications. I wonder if you were right, Esclabor...

"I see..." Like my father... I suppose that's a good thing, here. Even if Owen disagreed with plenty of his father's decisions as he grew, the prince couldn't help but wonder if he'd get along better were he met with a younger version of his father, were that ever possible. "Thank you for your continued support, Queen Ethel." Owen approved of her speech with a courteous nod, he wouldn't have expected to find such a strong ally in Raewald, so willingly. Perhaps it was as Cassandra suspected, there were added expectations that weren't included in this meeting. In this case, wouldn't asking for a private meeting be for the better? Maybe.

"Your Majesty--" Before Owen could make his request, he was one upped by none other than his sister, looking at her with an alarmed glare. You, and Adele. What are you possibly going to ask of the Queen?! Owen could already imagine the matter of subject Cassandra was to ask in private, very few of the outcomes in his mind being positive. This time, his grip of her hand was the one that tightened. "Cass, are you sure this is a good idea?" He spoke quietly, only for her and his entourage to hear, there was a clear apprehensiveness in his tone.

Well, Adele hadn't said no, and that was a good enough sign as any. But Owen's sudden tight squeeze, combined with his glare, well... That wasn't something that she'd expected. It was quite disarming. She'd almost shrunk away from her request, if it hadn't been so dear to her. "No. I'm not sure," she whispered back, "but I have to ask, if anything... I have to know. I can't imagine her to be such a quick judge as to react in as poor a way as you're imagining." The queen had been quite the host, Cass couldn't help but respect her, on presence alone. She had her moments of superiority, but there was an air to her that charmed Cass-- not much different from Malaphar had been, yet his held more sinister feelings beyond it. The queen wished for something, but Cass couldn't feel like this was a terrible decision.

"I see. I suppose I'll speak to the others then and try and glean some more information," he said, thanking the steward. "As for Emily's fate, it's hard to say." He ran a hand through his hair, obviously as perplexed and wary as the rest. As he watched Emily speaking to Freya, he still couldn't observe any noticeable abnormalities about the woman--aside from her dimwitted manner of speaking but that seemed more of a facet of her character than any ill-effects obtained from the elixir. 

"I suppose all we can do now is wait and see how she develops," he shrugged. With three out of four known cases turning sour, logic dictated that things would soon take a turn for the worst, even if nothing was apparent at the moment.   

"If anything serious happens do let me know. And keep an eye on her. Make sure she doesn't try to sneak off anywhere by herself..." he whispered.

"Anyway, I don't think any sort of epiphany will be striking me anytime soon, so I suppose I shall be off then," he announced. "Thank you for answering my questions Emily, perhaps we'll speak again soon. Do try to rest up before then. I'm very much interested to know all that Morganna has been saying about me." 

Susan and Scuttle were two extreme ends of a very long pole. One spent their free time carousing taverns with heroic epics and scandalous love letters. The other cased said taverns with lock picks and cut glass. One was naive, but optimistic and hopeful, the other jaded though pragmatic. As far as personalities went, they were very different, their opinions and outlooks even moreso. But there was one thing both personas could find common ground on: they both unequivocally and wholeheartedly despised Morgana to the core.

The two walked on the cobblestone road in terse silence. Susan walked ahead with a vigilant Morgana behind. She could sense the witch’s fingers trembling in anticipation to throw another spell at her, sparks of magic already flickering between them.

‘What?” The witch asked flatly from behind, out of the blue. Susan let out an indignant groan.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You’re quiet. And I know you’re never quiet, you’re just thinking, and that means you’re going to eventually start talking and bother me, so let’s get this over with.” 

Gauntlet thrown. “Emily’s dead,” Susan blurted.

“Yes.”

“Emmet’s dead too.” 

“More irreversibly so.”

“Serge’s still incompetent.”

“Really?” Morgana asked, only half-sarcastically. “If he thinks I’m going to wait around for Emily to wake up and kill everyone in an accidental series of misfires, then the two really deserve each other.” 

The last statement came with unexpected vitriol, even for her. Susan knew that Morgana’s opinion of her leader had never been flattering, but never would she have thought it would be this extreme. True, two had died under his watch, but still . . .

It was Scuttle that figured it out, and Susan who used it. 

“You’re afraid.” 

Morgana seemed to check herself, and even with her back to her the cool intensity of her glare was palpable. “Keep walking, bard.”

It was like finding a mail-order shipload of kryptonite delivered on her doorstep, free of charge. 

“Does it sting, witch?” Susan taunted, “Knowing that your pesky magic isn’t enough to protect you from the reality of this world?”

“I know the limits of my powers and they are tested everyday.”

“Does it sting?” Susan repeated. Morgana didn’t deign to reply.

“This isn’t Tytila.”

“Observant as ever, bard.”

They approached a clearing past the trees, where a young man was pacing nervously. Upon Morgana clearing her throat, he looked up with an expression of fright that quickly turned into relief.

“Took you long enough. Who’s your friend?” 

Morgana gave a pointed look. “She’s the one who’s going to keep you safe from them.”

He glanced her way. “She doesn’t look very tough.”

Susan watched the exchange with the investment that she was somehow the centre of this conversation. 

“Who is them?”

The man gave furtive glances across the shades of the trees, as if expecting the very shadows to swallow him whole. He bent down in a whisper, though to stop whom from listening, she really didn’t know. “That crazy pair we met when Laudine was confronting you. A man, and a lady, with a huge scar down her midriff. Almost like someone had tried to cleave her in two with an axe.”

No. Way. Well . . . maybe it was someone else who had miraculously survived the Princess cutting them down the spine. One could be hopeful.

“We haven’t seen our leader since she tried to parley with them. But I know they’re still around. And worse, we found a note telling us that they looked forward to returning her to us,” his face went pallid-white. “I’m not getting paid enough to be a Reliant.”

“My cohort will take care of you. In return, you will honour your part of the bargain."

“Wait a minute. A Reliant?” Susan interjected, “Just who are you anyway?”

She could see the wheels turning in his head, his nostrils flaring, the very picture of a man who was astute enough to recognise death in the face and was choosing his next few words very carefully. It was rather unfair that the affliction of honesty gripped him. “I was under Subcommander Laudine, and part of the cohort that killed Emily.”

Susan searched his face for any signs of a telltale joke and found none. She gave a curt nod of understanding. “We’ll protect you from Appellon and Arteria,” she said, and the eviscerating length of a shiv erupted in her palm.“Just leave it to me.”

_________

“What the hell was that?!”

Susan was genuinely confused. “You weren’t expecting that?”

“You stabbed him!”

Susan wiped the blood away with the casualness of sweat off her brow. “You hinted at me to do it. I thought that was your plan. Take care of him,” she wagged her bunny fingers in the air, “Wasn’t it?”

“Yes! Take care of him! How did that turn to stab him?!” her voice reached newfound hysterics.

“Okay, relax, Morgana, I messed up. We just need to work together —“

“Yes. Work together. Quid pro quo. I scratch your back, you scratch mine. I mop up all the blood you leave splattered everywhere, you hold my hair up as I throw up afterwards. Oh gods,” her face flushed to match Susan’s hair colours.

Susan placed both hands on Morgana’s shoulder. “Breathe. He’s dead. Sorry. But Wyke is burning, and the wonder twins are still around. We have to deal with that before it becomes a problem. Do you know what you need to do?”

“Go vomit quietly in a corner.”

The rising pressure across Susan’s slowly crumbling island of calm bubbled a bit, in the form of a strange, dead laugh. She allowed herself a smug smile, “You’re really easy to spook, you know that?”

“Shut the hell up, bard.”

Edited by Frostivus

Private Audience

Ethel had seemed mostly finished with the meeting, but was keen to hear responses from her guests. Cass in particular had caught her interest, the ruler leaning forwards gently to signfiy her attention. "No need to be so shy, Princess. I would be more than happy to meet with you both. Just us girls, it's awfully stuffy with so many grumpy old men around, isn't it?" she laughed, the rest of her advisors smiling pleasantly. She looked over at one of her advisors, the oldest looking in the room. His smile faded rapidly. "Yes, I mean you, Baron Aberforth. Age isn't a bad thing though, it means you've got some experience behind your words."

Owen's interjection made Ethel smile, the woman putting her hand to her mouth and laughing playfully. "It's OK, Prince Owen. I'd very much like to meet you by yourself as well." she charmed, sitting back in her chair. "After all that you've been through, any consolation I can give is the least I can do for you. Feel free to treat the castle as your own, until you can return to Hull Castle... I want to make sure you're as comfortable as possible."

Watchful Eye

"Aye, Sir Alain. I'll keep an eye on her. I'm hoping that it all goes alright, but we've gotta be ready for the worst. Engel forbid it don't come to that." Lars replied, determined in his resolve to keep the group safe. Sebastian remained quiet, carefully observing the mage. It was often difficult to tell what the butler was thinking, but there was certainly something on his mind.

Emily looked around curiously, puzzled by something within the room. "Sir Alain? Where are Morganna and Emmet? They were with us too... unless..." she began, her expression suddenly shifting to one of a dopey horror. Putting her hands to her face, she covered her eyes. "She eloped with Emmet! That's why she's not with you! They ran away into the sunset to make super clever babies that can shoot arrows from their fingers!"

Lars laughed, a gentle smile appearing on his face. "One thing's for sure, that's definitely Emily. Sometimes wonder how she manages to get dressed in the morning." he joked.

Cassandra still had faith in her decision... Queen Ethel's reply felt comprehensive, though the prince doubted she had any idea what Cassandra was going to speak about either. I do worry about your safety, sister... she might seem understanding, but still... "Sorry." He whispered back, perhaps she shouldn't live on fear. The idea with Angus ended up just having a negative impact on her happiness, but was now the time to speak to a foreign noble about it? Owen felt vulnerable, for his sister if not for Wyke.

Nodding back at Queen Ethel's amiability, Prince Owen held a silent gulp, thinking his next words. "Thank you, Queen Ethel. That you would treat us so well is a debt I can't put in words. I promise to give serious thought to my upcoming decision." That... felt like the most he could do. If he could raise Ethel's opinions of him, the she'd come to respect him enough to keep his sister's secret. Probably.

"That's, er..." What am I supposed to say? Even considering her initial thoughts, this wasn't going as well as Sidney would've liked. At least she'd hoped for some sort of positivity, but the only mention of something nice was followed by another hard question. "Sorry... I didn't make very good choices then. But I've been doing better now to try and turn everything around. I came back here because I've been traveling with some nice people, mostly from Wyke, even Prince Owen. We're... I'm dating him right now." Unlike when she was proudly boastful about the fact to her father, Sidney's cheeks flushed red talking to her mother instead. "I've been doing a lot better things with them, and learning more responsibilities. So I wasn't just running around the countryside. I sent a letter here in March, and father wrote back, so I would have thought he would tell you something as important as that." She glanced up the stairway rather accusingly at him. "I'd certainly hope to not be forgotten about so easily, at least..."

Serge thought back to earlier that day, placing his chin in between his forefinger and thumb as he thought. "Morganna said...That she just couldn't keep up. Said she was way behind everyone else, and didn't have it in her, compared to the rest of the us. And then she ran out, and I didn't see her after that." He took his hand off his chin, and it was then he noticed the feeling of hair on it. Another sigh, this time through his nose. Looks like he needed to shave again. He looked back at Claire once more. "Sorry, but that's all I got. I don't know where she is now. Maybe at the Mage Guild?"

Serge got up from the chair, and walked over to the window nearby. He looked out to the streets of Tytila. "If you're gonna go look for her there, then I got a favor to ask. I know she won't come back, but...Can you scout out some people for me?" He looked back. "I'd hate to ask someone outside of the Crew to look for new members, but...Well, with Emily being the way she is, I don't have anyone else to ask. And that place don't take kindly to people like me."

Well, that seemed to be that. For better or worse, the Queen had agreed to the meeting, so they could only hope that she was an open-minded woman. Or at the very least, tactful enough to not allow any negative connotations from this to carry her judgment of their entourage going forward. All Adeltrudis could do was try to steel her resolve, and more importantly, try to figure out exactly how to say what was going to be said... not that she was likely to be much of a voice, throughout the meeting and even now, the Queen seemed for more invested in the royal siblings, as opposed to herself or Baron Kearney.

Royal Pardon

"There's no problem at all, Prince Owen." Ethel replied, shooing her advisors out of the meeting room. "Debts mean nothing when we all have so much to gain from this. Without your aid, any chances against Deira would have been less comfortable than I would have prefered. With you at my side, the balance is just enough in our favour. Do not consider yourself a burden, you're very much helping me. I believe we should stop at this current moment, meetings do drag on"

Ethel's underlings began to vacate the room, nervously glancing at Owen as they left. The meeting concluded, it appeared that everyone had other plans - or were just eager to escape their Queen. Ethel remained in her seat, basking in satisfaction from the meeting.

Owen, Cass, Adele and Angus are free to post before the skip!

Best of Both Worlds

Elvira looked at Sidney with eyes full of disappointment. "Running around with nice people doesn't make up for all the embarrassment I've faced! All of my friends have been asking about you non-stop, what was I supposed to tell them?" she fumed, ready to stomp her foot in rage. However, the mention of Owen completely stunned her, leaving the woman speechless for a moment or two. Anthony ducked behind the stairs, deciding that his own daughter could handle the situation from now on.

The aura of rage surrounding Sidney's mother faded rapidly, replaced by a baffled curiosity. "You? Prince Owen of Wyke?" she gasped, her eyes wide with surprise. "How did such a thing happen? I hope you had not played any tricks on the man, but perhaps he can see you for who you are? But maybe he also sees what you've become... I'm so confused. Tell me, what is he like? Please tell me this isn't a cruel prank."

"No tricks!" Sidney insisted. She was surprised her mention of him was so effective. "We met in a village, and I helped him settle some internal affairs in Wyke. When we returned to the capital, King Oswald liked me enough to let me have a room there. Now Owen is here in Tytila to meet with Queen Ethel, so I've come along with him, and I've invited him to visit here whenever he's not busy. He's very charming, and thoughtful to the plights of others in a way that's really endearing. He likes my singing, too!" Sidney frowned a bit at her father leaving. That doesn't seem like him... Still, she couldn't be too upset with her mother seeming much happier with her. "I'll be sure to introduce you and father to him when he does come around. His sister might come, too, Princess Cassandra, but she might also be busy. We're good friends as well."