Official name translation shananigans

CatManThree

Due to the listing of literally every unit/important character in the "Choose your Heroes" event, all the JP only

games and characters are listed. Most FE fans outside of Japan learned these character's names from the

fan translations but now a bunch of character's official Names are different. 

This topic is dedicated to talking about name changes and whether you liked one or it just really bugged you.

Luchar/Lucharba - apparently they're misspellings of Iuchar and Iucharba. How does this kind of thing happen?

Chulainn - Wasn't Cuan already inspired on him? This is just fundamentally wrong.

Azelle - Why give a girlier name to a girly character? It's like a reverse Lucius.

Isn't there already a topic for this? \:|

Oh well... My interest is less in the names themselves and more in the fact that everyone's getting them from the JP games. This seems like a possible indicator to me of possible future Echoes games, as some people have predicted. 

Just thought I'd mention this one spite it now being well known...

Blazing Sword = Blazing Blade

While this change is a bit odd for me personally to get used to, I still

like the new title cause it sort of ties the game even more to binding blade in

a way cause of both titles are technically the same but with one changed word

in the title. It is sort of like the "Path of Radiance" and "Radiant Dawn"

name relations in tying the games together.

1 hour ago, CatManThree said:

Just thought I'd mention this one spite it now being well known...

Blazing Sword = Blazing Blade

While this change is a bit odd for me personally to get used to, I still

like the new title cause it sort of ties the game even more to binding blade in

a way cause of both titles are technically the same but with one changed word

in the title. It is sort of like the "Path of Radiance" and "Radiant Dawn"

name relations in tying the games together.

Blazing Blade is also the translation of the name of the eponymous sword. So, uh, why wasn't it translated this way before?

3 minutes ago, Gima said:

Blazing Blade is also the translation of the name of the eponymous sword. So, uh, why wasn't it translated this way before?

What, really? Okay now I feel plain stupid.

Pretty much anything that contradicts an existing official English name bugs me, but what takes the cake for me is Deke vs. Dieck (the former is the official English name, thanks to the SSBB sticker).  This one had better not hold, or there will be no end to the offensive jokes that surround the name.  One could pretty much play the same type of "error romanization" card here as with Ryan/Raian and Luke/Ruke.  Pretty much anything would be an improvement over "Dieck"--Deke, Dirk, Duke, Vergil, etc., etc....

I'll leave this open, because the other topic is for listing name changes, while this one asks for your opinion of said changes.

Whoever did Azelle needs to have a personal cooking lesson from Arvis (preferably away from the flames).

The name that killed me the most was Chulainn

Oh my GOD it looks like a french insult wtf

Once again. Chulainn is an actual figure in Irish mythology. Not to mention that the form of address that one of the most famous figures in said mythology is most commonly known by is a nickname that incorporates the aforementioned Chulainn's name into itself.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

1 hour ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Once again. Chulainn is an actual figure in Irish mythology. Not to mention that the form of address that one of the most famous figures in said mythology is most commonly known by is a nickname that incorporates the aforementioned Chulainn's name into itself.

Except it wasn't a nickname. He was given the name by a druid, one of the societal and religious leaders of Celtic society; saying that Cuchulainn is a nickname is like saying someone's baptismal name is a nickname, it's just blatantly untrue.

Also, Culann's name would be rendered like so, not as Chulainn, in English.