re: swords and lances with lack of weapon triangle

geozeldadude

i don't get why the game has classes that can use swords and lances when they seem largely the same and basically you would want to use swords over lances every time. for example, the lance has 8 might and 6 weight and costs 450, whereas the steel sword has 8 might and 4 weight and costs just 50 more. the differences are even bigger with the silver lance vs. silver sword (both have might 12 but the sword weighs less *and* has 100% hit rate, although i guess it requires a higher wlv). i guess the only argument would be that those classes can use the special sword and lance weapons (e.g. killing edge and beastkiller) but the pointlessness of the non-special lances is bothering me (probably way more than it should haha). i guess i should just accept that the early games have a lot of mechanics that only became refined over time.

Edited by geozeldadude

Which FE are you talking about?  In FE3 no class can use more than one weapon type, but in FE1 a few can, and generally yes using a sword over a lance is preferable in those cases because the sword is lighter and often not too much more expensive. Weapon level can figure into this but most characters worth using level that fairly easily and it isn't an issue.

You just have to accept that weapon balance just wasn't quite there until at least Thracia 776. FE1 was especially bad about it. However, just because one weapon has better stats than the other doesn't mean the other one is totally useless. For example, the steel sword isn't for sale until like chapter 5, so you might as well at least use the free one that comes with Cain. The same goes for the silver lance. Its stats are way worse than the silver sword, but it does have better durability, is cheaper, and is for sale much earlier than the silver sword. 

Honestly I'm more offended by the quality of bows and axes than anything else. Like you said, at least lance users can always switch to swords once the good ones become obtainable. All of the bows besides partia are mediocre against non-flying units and the axes are simply a liability. 

Edited by SRC

Well axe USERS are a liability save for Barts, maybe, so eh. None can promote, Bord and Cord are just blah (they'd probably be good if they could promote), and Darros has like the worst skill in the game among physical units. But yeah, while swords generally outclass lances in FE1, lances are generally more readily available, for what that's worth.

yeah, i was talking about _FE1_. that's a good point about availability; i hadn't considered that. amongst other things i'll have to break myself from the habit of trying to use swords and lances more or less equally for the units that can use both.