questions about FE gaiden mechanics + impressions from first PT

geozeldadude

i've started my first PT of _FE gaiden_. it's pretty mindless so far, but i did have some questions:

- i was surprised that i could promote the villagers almost right away. i went ahead and promoted robin (now called tobin haha) to a mage b/c i wanted a magic user, but should i have waited like in the other games?

- what determines you getting group XP? at first i thought it was if you dodge an attack, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

- assuming no grinding, where does this game rank in terms of difficulty in the series as a whole?

Edited by geozeldadude

Promote asap in Gaiden, as it's nearly 0% Growths the game

Not sure on what detrimines group XP, however I do know not in battle units cannot level up from it. Read, Tobin gives the group 3 exp, but Alm has 98 Exp, Alm would only get 1 group Exp

No grinding I'd say it's middle of the road, once chapter 3 hits, the game hits a big difficulty cruve, but with proper spells, you can break it

so far i've been enjoying the game, although there are def. some things that have gotten taking used to. among them are:

- thunder has a range of 1-3??

- hit rates are crap in general, so battles become super drawn out and annoying

- why are sabre's growths so crappy? :p

- all the pirate maps on the second chapter are starting to get boring. a change of scenery would be nice.

- i like the cleric class. it seems pretty well balanced with magic costing HP and nosferatu having only 50% hit.

- it's kind of annoying you get minimal XP for battles and only really earn XP on kills and boss battles.

Edited by geozeldadude

okay, i'm getting close to being able to promote some of my characters. is there a level cap? in most _FE_ games i try to get every possible level up, but in this case i'm not sure if i should wait or not. i'm guessing not b/c of the free increase up to the promoted class's base stats.

Edited by geozeldadude

Pretty much everyone will recommend doing it as soon as possible, as most of these characters have such low growth rates as for it to be not worth the effort.

Grinding up Celica and Alm's levels is more acceptable because the two have event promotions, and it can't be done whenever.

It seems there's no split magic and strength stat similar to the Gameboy Games. Yet Celica's a hybrid unit that can attack with both. Is she using the same power stat for both the sword and magic? Because right now it seems like there's very little reason ever to use the default sword over even the weakest magic, even against mages.

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It seems there's no split magic and strength stat similar to the Gameboy Games. Yet Celica's a hybrid unit that can attack with both. Is she using the same power stat for both the sword and magic? Because right now it seems like there's very little reason ever to use the default sword over even the weakest magic, even against mages.

That's why HP costs to cast spells was so important. One other thing is that Skill didn't affect spell accuracy (i.e it was only the spells base accuracy that mattered) as opposed to physical attacks.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I suppose it's not exactly like in the GBA games. Like, you could equip her with a sword to boast her melee attacks but it wouldn't affect her magic.

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose it's not exactly like in the GBA games. Like, you could equip her with a sword to boast her melee attacks but it wouldn't affect her magic.

Are you sure equipping swords don't boost her magic? They just give a flat boost to the power stat and it seems that's the stat magic is working off.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Are you sure equipping swords don't boost her magic? They just give a flat boost to the power stat and it seems that's the stat magic is working off.

While Gaiden's status screen would give that impression, oddly enough physical attacks will use the boosted power stat while magic attacks only use a character's base power. 

7 hours ago, SRC said:

While Gaiden's status screen would give that impression, oddly enough physical attacks will use the boosted power stat while magic attacks only use a character's base power. 

That wouldn't be too odd if it showed you the boosted stat as an add on like in Awakening but here it just outright changes the number (which also makes it somewhat annoying to see how effective equipment actually is as you need to check the stats before and after you equip to work out the difference).